Foreign firms in India
Allen & Overy LLP focuses on capital markets, bank debt, private equity transactions as well as high-profile M&A. The India group provides legal support to foreign investors and domestic clients whether they are looking to expand their operations to new markets across the globe or in their investments into India. Benefiting from strong working relationships with leading Indian law firms, the practice is also well equipped to handle contentious matters, namely those pertaining to investment treaty disputes. London-based chairman Sanjeev Dhuna excels in cross-border direct lending and structured banking transactions. Other key practitioners include Gautam Narasimhan, who regularly advises hedge funds and mezzanine investors on acquisition finance matters, and Sheila Ahuja who is experienced in commercial and investor-state arbitration proceedings; both partners are based in the Singapore office. The firm's debt and capital markets offering was further strengthened by the arrival of Pallavi Gopinath Aney, who joined in June 2019 from Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow.
‘Unlike other firms, the A&O team really invested time to understand complex India law points (many arising from Tax) and were as well-versed with the issues as Indian lawyers on the case were. The quality of the work, the clarity in getting the strategy right, managing multiple disputes arising from the case, adhering to strict timelines, and advising the client clearly on where they stand was excellent to be part of. One of the best teams we have worked with.’
Sheila Ahuja understands the law thoroughly (both Arbitration law and local laws/regulations), client advice is clear, invests a lot of time on strategising the case, and most importantly is available for the client at all times. One of the best lawyers (if not the best) in the region in International Arbitration. She has developed a very good team in Singapore.’
‘Matthew Gearing QC is one of the best advocates that we have worked with on International Arbitration matters. Great understanding of the law, unparalleled ability to put complex legal propositions simply and succinctly, and most importantly great grasp of the matter from both strategy and risks. Its been a learning experience working with Matthew.’
‘Totally professional unit with very good disputes resolution experience.’
‘Sheila Ahuja is a very enterprising and passionate lawyer. Sheila is very good with large commercial disputes.’
‘A&O arbitration team are extremely reliable, dependable and engaged. They come up with up with very good strategies and make our case strong and winnable.’
‘Sheila Ahuja and Matthew Gearing are outstanding. They are innovative, able to think outside of the box, and come up with creative solutions.’
- Advising State Bank of India, London on a $2000m investment-grade facility provided to Vedanta Resources PLC (a UK-listed mining company focused on Indian operations) to refinance certain existing indebtedness and for general corporate purposes.
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank as joint mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on the $1.1bn “certain funds” term-loan financing made to Volcan Investments Cyprus Ltd (the Borrower), a subsidiary of Volcan Investments Limited (the Company), part of Anil Agarwal’s Volcan group.
- Advising BNP Paribas and Nomura on Advent International’s $75m financing for its acquisition of a majority stake in Manjushree Technopack Limited, an Indian packaging solutions company.
- Representing Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. in a high-profile claim against India pursuant to the 2011 Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement between Japan and India concerning investment incentives which were promised to Nissan regarding their setting up of a manufacturing plant in Tamil Nadu.
- Advised Idea Cellular Ltd on the international aspects of the merger between Idea and Vodafone India, a $23bn merger transaction that will create India’s largest mobile telephone operator.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP acts for some of the largest Indian conglomerates, particularly on cross-border transactions, while also providing support to a global network of clients in relation to their investments into India. The firm fields an extensive cross-practice offering, which apart from M&A also covers international arbitration, as well as capital markets and finance matters. Overseeing the global India practice is London-based Chris Parsons, who has extensive experience working on cross-border deals. Alan Montgomery leads on M&A matters and specialises in public and private mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and joint ventures. M&A transactions are also an area of specialty for Roddy Martin, who advises on inbound and outbound investments, public takeovers, private auctions as well as buyouts. Nick Peacock heads the India Disputes practice, and is experienced in representing Indian corporates in complex arbitration proceedings, particularly in the energy and telecoms sectors; while Siddhartha Sivaramakrishnan leads the India capital markets and Asia US securities group from the Singapore office.
‘The best thing about the team is that they are able to tailor their legal advice in practical and business terms.’
‘Nick Peacock is always on top of the matter. He is clear headed and articulate in his thinking as well as presentation of matter.’
‘Client centric with a deep focus on business partnering.’
‘Alan Montgomery is the lawyer of choice for complex M&A deals.’
Standard Chartered Bank
International Finance Corporation
Bank of Baroda
Citibank Global Markets India Private Limited
Kotak Mahindra Capital Company Limited
- Acted for SingTel on its investment into Bharti Airtel’s restructured African business, comprising of mobile operators in 14 African jurisdictions.
- Advising Sterling, a leading provider of small molecule API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) development and manufacturing services to the global pharmaceutical industry, on the disposal of Sterling by existing shareholders to GHO Capital following an auction process.
- Advising JSW Steel Limited, India’s biggest steelmaker, on its acquisition of Piombino steelworks (Aferpi SpA, Piombino Logistics SpA and GSI Lucchini SpA) from Cevital SpA. The three entities together operate the steel plant in Piombino and also manage the adjoining Piombino port area in Tuscany, Italy.
- Advised SoftBank Group Corp (SBG) on its investment into a series of solar projects in India ; work involved assisting with the corporate agreements, competition law aspects, and project financing.
- Advised UltraTech Cement as the successful bidder under the Indian Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code process under which the bidder purchased the debt of the Binani Cement group companies as a part of a loan-to-own restructuring.
Linklaters LLP combines local knowledge with a global approach, fielding a team which includes dual-qualified lawyers. Local and international corporates as well as financial institutions seek the practice's advice on complex and oftentimes groundbreaking cross-border matters requiring sector-specific understanding. The group has particular expertise across the oil and gas, energy, pharmaceutical, chemicals/petrochemicals and financial services sectors. London-based finance partner Narayan Iyer heads the India group and focuses on acquisition and leveraged finance. Savi Hebbur regularlry advises private equity houses on their Indian transactions and Indian corporates on their international M&A, which is also an area of expertise for Sushil Jacob. Ben Carroll is another core practitioner, who specialises in international commercial arbitration with a focus on the energy sector. Recent arrival Amit Singh, who joined from Allen & Overy's Hong Kong office, has a strong track record in advising issuers and underwriters on debt and equity capital raising.
CX Advisors LLP
Global University Systems
Green Climate Fund
ING Bank NV
JSW Steel Limited
Oyo Rooms (Oravel Stays Private Limited)
Reliance Life Sciences
Schneider Electric SAS
Tata AutoComp Systems Limited
The Export-Import Bank of India
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited (HSBC)
- Advised Oyo Rooms, one of the leading vacation rental management companies in Erurope, on the €369m acquisition of Leisure Holding B.V. from, among other, Axel Springer Digital Classifieds Holding GmbH.
- Advised Greenko on its $900m acquisition of Orange Renewable Holdings in India – a portfolio of wind and solar power projects at various stages of development, construction and in operation.
- Assisted Nayara Energy (formerly Ultimate Essar Oil), as the seller, with its landmark $750m pre-export advance financing with BP and Trafigura as the offtakers in respect of petroleum products.
- Acted for Green Climate Fund as lender on a $100m term-loan facility to National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development for on-lending to Tata Cleantech Capital Limited in Indian Rupees.
Ashurst provides wide-ranging advice in the areas of corporate and capital markets, banking and finance, employment and competition law. With industrial and energy clients at the core of the group's client base, the practice has a strong record of overseeing projects in India to successful closure, and consistently receives instructions from developers, financiers and governments. Leading the group is London-based senior consultant Richard Gubbins, who assists with client relationships and specialises in international corporate and commercial activities. Tom Mercer is another key member in London with particular expertise in public company takeovers and mergers. Hong Kong-based Huiyeon Kim advises on a range of cross-border M&A, project development and financing transactions, while Stuart Rubin is recognised as a leading figure in the Indian equity capital market. John Kim splits his time between the Korea and India practice group, and has most recently been handling matters pertaining to the Indian automotive industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is generally very responsive and keen to please clients, and there is a high level of partner engagement.’
‘Stuart Rubin is sincere and genuinely enjoys solving novel problems. He is technically sound and has a thorough understanding of market practices on Indian capital markets transactions, which translates into being commercially sensitive to his client’s needs and providing relevant, practically useful advice.’
APG Asset Management
Axis Capital Markets
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Hydrochina International Engineering Co. Ltd
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Kia Motors Corporation
Swaymbhu Natural Resources
- Acted for Grammer AG, a German automotive interior parts and seat manufacturer, on its joint venture with Pune-based AllyGrow Technologies, to develop world-class products and solutions for the automotive and commercial vehicle industry.
- Acted for Hyundai Motors and Kia Motors on their $15m investment in OLA Electric Mobility Private Limited (Ola Electric), for developing customised electric vehicles and charging stations appropriate for ride-hailing applications.
- Acted for Hyundai Motors and Kia Motors on their $300m investment in ANI Technologies (OLA), India’s biggest cab aggregator, as part of a strategic partnership to scale up the business and develop innovative products.
- Advised Hero Inc Limited who, together with Temasek, Singapore Telecom, Qatar Investment Authority, SoftBank, Warburg Pincus and another investor, invested a total of $1.5bn in Airtel Africa Limited.
- Advising Merlin Entertainments on a signed agreement with access to roll out its “Passport” ticketing system across the estate over the next three years.
Clifford Chance advises on a wide range of India-related matters, including inbound and outbound M&A, joint ventures, commercial arrangements, capital markets transactions, acquisition financing, external commercial borrowing as well as dispute resolution. Apart from its deep expertise in the banking sector, the firm is a strong force in some of the key sectors for the Indian economy, including infrastructure, telecoms, energy and resources. Singapore-based capital markets expert Rahul Guptan jointly heads the group alongside banking and finance lawyer Ranbir Hunjan (London), Mark Poulton (London) and Neeraj Budhwani (Hong Kong). Budhawani has extensive experience in M&A and private equity, including leveraged buy-outs and general securities related work.
Rahul Guptan; Neeraj Budhwani; Mark Poulton; Ranbir Hunjan
Other key lawyers:
- Conducting due diligence of English and Singapore law project documents for the 1500MW coal power plant at Godda, Jharkhand, India ($2bn).
- Advised Blackstone and Bangalore-based developer, Embassy Property Developments PVT, on the $690m (47.5 billion rupees) IPO of India’s first-ever real estate investment trust, Embassy Office Parks REIT.
- Advising the underwriters on the IPO of PNB Metlife Insurance India Insurance Company, which is a joint venture between the state-run bank (Punjab National Bank) and MetLife.
- Advised ICG Strategic Equity and Affirma Capital’s Fund 1 on the acquisition of a private equity portfolio comprising 35 investments across South East Asia, India, China, South Korea, the Middle East and Africa, underpinning the management buyout of SCB’s PE Unit; this is reportedly the largest complex emerging markets secondaries deal to date.
- Advised Kotak Mahindra Capital Company Limited, Axis Capital Limited, Goldman Sachs (India) Securities Private Limited, JM Financial Limited, and J.P. Morgan India Private Limited on Bandhan Bank Limited’s IPO of 119,280,494 equity shares for listing on the BSE and NSE ($672m).
Co-ordinated from Singapore, Jones Day has strong experience representing all parties involved in banking and finance deals, as well as outbound M&A and inbound investments. It has a pan-Asia Pacific dispute resolution practice with in-depth experience in international arbitration and is also well-versed in providing advice on large infrastructure projects and energy matters. Sushma Jobanputra handles banking, restructuring and corporate matters, and oversees the India practice group that also includes project development and finance expert Karthik Kumar. Another key practitioner is Dennis Barsky who is particularly experienced in private equity-sponsored leveraged buyouts and transformative acquisition for large multinationals.
‘The team is consistently strong across all levels which means that they are able to resource deals effectively and efficiently.’
‘Sushma Jobanputra is excellent. She is able to provide legal and commercial considerations to come to a speedy resolution of issues.’
‘Jones Day has unique multijurisdictional capabilities. The firm is able to advise Indian companies on US and English law with a view towards their compliance requirements under Indian law, which is highly appreciated by clients.’
‘It has been a great experience working with Sushma Jobanputra and Ben Witherall and Vinay Kurien , who are all very solution-centric lawyers and are able to get to desired outcomes in an efficient manner.’
Asian Development Bank
Babcock Power Inc
Cardinal Health, Inc
Crestline Direct Finance
Gail (India) Ltd
Gail Global Singapore Pte Ltd
OMERS Administration Corp
Shapoorji Pallonji Group
Shapoorji Pallonji Infrastructure Capital Limited
Spire Investment Manager Pte. Ltd.
The Procter & Gamble Company
Vibrant Energy Pte Ltd
Westpac Banking Corporation
- Advised UPL Limited, a leading global generic agrochemical company based in India, on its subsidiary, UPL Corporation Limited’s $4.2bn acquisition and related $3bn term financing of Arysta Lifescience Inc.
- Acted for Crestline Direct Finance on a $42.5m initial term loan and a $5m delayed draw term-loan facility provided to a multinational software company.
- Advised Procter & Gamble Company on its €3.375bn acquisition of the worldwide consumer health business of Merck KGaA.
- Advised Indian conglomerate Shapoorji Pallonji Group on the English law aspects of its joint venture with Actis Capital, a multi-asset emerging market investor, to undertake the construction and development of a portfolio of mid-market housing assets in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Assisted GAIL and its subsidiary GAIL Global (Singapore) Pte. Ltd with a $100m finance facility provided to it by HSBC.
With a dedicated team operating primarily from Singapore, Hong Kong, London and select US offices, Latham & Watkins LLP has strength in international and domestic financing matters as well as inbound and outbound acquisitions and divestitures. The practice is adept at advising on the full range of equity and debt capital markets transactions. Singapore-based Rajiv Gupta, who is a counsel of choice for India-related capital markets, leads the India group which also includes Michael Sturrock, who has extensive experience assisting financial institutions and corporates with capital raising and M&A transactions in India.
Other key lawyers:
Shearman & Sterling LLP undertakes inbound and outbound Indian mandates, advising on multiple disciplines, such as capital markets, M&A, private equity, project finance, real estate, fund formation as well as litigation and international arbitration. Practice head Sidharth Bhasin is based in Singapore and focuses primarily on private equity investments and exits as well as restructuring and capital markets transactions. Andrew Schleider leads on capital markets transactions also out of Singapore, acting for underwriters and issuers on a broad array of corporate finance transactions. Also specialising in capital markets transactions is Hong-Kong based Matthew Bersani, who covers Rule 144A/Reg S offerings as well as registered US public offerings.
Capital Square Partners
Dish TV and Videocon d2h
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP)
Reliance Communications (RCom)
Global Cloud Xhange (GCX)
Jungle Ventures Pte Ltd
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited
Delhi International Airport Limited
- Advised Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) on its acquisition of a 40% interest in CLP India Private Limited (CLP India), a wholly owned subsidiary of CLP Holdings Limited (CLP), for approximately $365m.
- Advised Capital Square Partners on its acquisition of a controlling stake in StarTek, Inc. and the sale of the Aegis business to StarTek (combined revenue of $700m).
- Acted as international counsel to Indian direct-to-home service providers Dish TV and Videocon d2h (Vd2h) on their merger to form a new entity, Dish TV Videocon Ltd.
- Advised ArcelorMittal S.A. on its acquisition of Essar Steel via its joint venture with Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Corp (NSSMC).
- Assisted GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited with its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $300m in aggregate principal amount of 5.375% Senior Secured Notes due 2024.
White & Case LLP is involved in India-related multijurisdictional transactions and dispute resolution work, offering advice to international clients pursuing business opportunities in India, and to local companies on their international investments. Apart from complex cross-border M&A, private equity and general corporate advisory work, the firm is also adept at representing clients in international arbitration proceedings. Nadan Nelivigi is a key name in New York, and has particular expertise in the energy and infrastructure sectors. London-based Dipen Sabharwal QC is a go-to lawyer for India-related disputes. Dispute resolution is also an area of expertise for Aloke Ray QC who recently returned to London, after leading the firm's Asian disputes practice in Singapore for seven years.
Nandan Nelivigi; Dipen Sabharwal QC; Aloke Ray QC
Other key lawyers:
‘It is an excellent law firm; the team is very collaborative in their approach.’
‘A quick turnaround of consistent good quality legal advice and representation.’
‘Dipen Sabharwal has got the knack to break complex legal problems into simple understandable propositions. An excellent lawyer with a solution oriented approach for which clients love him.’
Saudi Arabian Oil Company
SoftBank Vision Fund
Carlyle Asia Investment Advisor
Industrial and Financial Systems, IFS AB (publ)
CDC Group plc
Qatar Holding LLC
White Oak Capital Partners
Cruz City 1 Mauritius Holdings Ltd
International Finance Corporation
McDonald’s India Private Limited (“MIPL”)
- Advising SoftBank Vision Fund on its $400m investment in Brainbees Solutions Private Limited, an Indian wholesaler of products for infants, expectant mothers and children.
- Assisting Carlyle Asia Investment Advisor with its $652m acquisition of SBI Life Insurance Company, the life insurance subsidiary of the State Bank of India.
- Acting for Qatar Holding LLC, a private equity firm based in Doha operating as a subsidiary of Qatar Investment Authority, on its $200m acquisition of primary shares amounting to a 4.37% stake in Bharti Airtel Africa Ltd.
- Acting for McDonald’s Indian subsidiary, MIPL, in injunction proceedings in the Commercial Court in London commenced by MIPL against its Indian joint venture partner, Vikram Bakshi and Bakshi Holdings Private Limited.
- Represented a group of Indian investors in a dispute against the Republic of Yemen and the Yemeni Ministry of Oil and Minerals arising from the political instability in the country.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow covers a broad range of India-related matters, including cross-border M&A transactions, banking and finance as well as capital markets. The firm regularly advises on antitrust and international trade issues pertaining to inbound and outbound transactions, and stands out for its expertise in tax and policy matters. Global India practice head Ashok Lalwani has extensive experience of public and private international securities and inbound and outbound India transactions for clients from a diversity of industries. The practice was further strengthened by the arrival of Singapore-based Kuna Katre, who has significant experience in Indian financing transactions and joined from Allen & Overy, and Ashish Chugh, who focuses on international commercial arbitration and investment treaty disputes and was previously at K&L Gates Straits Law LLC.
Other key lawyers:
Emmanuel Hadjidakis; Kah Chin CHU; Ashish Chugh; Kunal Katre
‘Lawyers are very prompt, attentive and have been able to provide us with the comprehensive guidance we need to pursue our claims in arbitration.’
‘Ashish Chugh has a keen eye for detail, offers frank and sensible commercial advice and is completely dedicated to getting the best possible outcome for the client.’
Essel Propack Limited
Fortis Healthcare Limited
Larsen & Toubro
State Bank of India
- Advised Unilever on its €4.6bn agreement to acquire the Health Food Drinks portfolio of GSK in India, Bangladesh and 20 other predominantly Asian markets.
- Acted as overseas counsel to Indian packaging supplier Essel Propack on the acquisition by Blackstone Group of 51 % of Essel Propack for $310m from one of the founders, Ashok Goel Trust.
- Advised Indian multinational conglomerate Larsen & Toubro on the acquisition of potentially 66% of the total shareholding of Mindtree, a global technology services and digital transformation company.
- Advised YES Bank on the acquisition financing of approximately $800m given to nine Indian project companies in the first-ever acquisition of nine roads from the National Highways Authority of India under the Toll Operate Transfer Concession Agreement.
- Advised IndusInd Bank, an Indian new generation bank, on a $17m loan to Gulf Petrochem Group, a leading oil and energy company in the UAE.
Fielding a team of transactional lawyers in the corporate and finance space, Hogan Lovells Lee & Lee has wide-ranging expertise in areas as diverse as business restructuring, intellectual property, TMT, sanctions, infrastructure projects, antitrust as well as dispute resolution. Singapore-based practice head Alexander McMyn is proficient in asset finance work with an emphasis on aviation-related matters. Other key practitioners in the Singapore office include private equity lawyer Stephanie Keen and Andy Ferris, who has extensive experience in advising on defaulted bonds and restructuring of distressed debt. Ryan Spence has carved out a niche in assisting trustees with liability management issues. Shaun Langhorne is also noted.
Alexander McMyn; Stephanie Keen; Andy Ferris; Shaun Langhorne ; Stephen Peepels
Other key lawyers:
Soumitro Mukerji; Ryan Spence; Daniel Mok; William Wu
‘Ryan Spence is an excellent lawyer technically and understands the clients’ needs. He is proactive and commercial.’
The Bank of New York Mellon
Ircon International Limited
- Acted as lead transaction counsel to PayPal on a $125m investment round in Pine Labs, India’s largest retail payment platform, together with Temasek, the sovereign investment fund of the Singapore government.
- Acted as lead transactional counsel to Walmart Inc. on its approximately $16bn purchase of a majority stake in Flipkart, a prominent, India-based e-commerce company
- Advising The Bank of New York Mellon as trustee on the default by Enso Secutrack Limited (Enso) of its $12m 3% convertible bonds due 2013.
- Advising The Bank of New York Mellon as trustee on the restructuring of the $150m 5.75% convertible bonds due 2017 issued by Jaiprakash Associates Limited.
- Acted as the international counsel to Ircon International Limited, the construction arm of government-owned and operated Indian Railway, as well as the Indian government, as the selling shareholder, on drafting the IPO prospectus and advising on US and international securities law issues ($154m).
Milbank is adept at advising on the full spectrum of financing structures and capital markets transactions. The firm remains a leader in the field of projects, predominantly focusing on the energy and natural resources sectors, but also undertaking mandates pertaining to the telecoms and aviation space. Leading capital markets lawyer Naomi Ishikawa specialises in cross-border securities offerings and heads up the practice group from Singapore. Capital markets is also an area of expertise for US-qualified James Grandolfo, who is based in Hong Kong. Another key lawyer is London-based John Dewar, who is experienced across all areas of finance.
Naomi Ishikawa; James Grandolfo; John Dewar
Other key lawyers:
Munib Hussain; Jim McFarlane
SBI Capital Markets
First Abu Dhabi Bank
- Advised Tata Steel, the India-based steel maker, on its offerings of $1bn notes and $300m notes.
- Acted for Axis Capital, ICICI Securities, JM Financial and SBI Capital Markets, as book-running lead managers, on the $185m placement of shares by global integrated steel producer, Jindal Steel & Power.
- Advised the joint lead managers on the issuance of $500m 5.95% notes due 2024 by JSW Steel Limited, one of the largest steelmakers in India.
- Acted as global legal counsel to HSBC, Citibank, Axis Bank, Merrill Lynch, J.P. Morgan and YES Bank on their role as initial purchasers in the $300m Rule 144A and Reg S offering by GMR Hyderabad International Airport
Norton Rose Fulbright is particularly experienced in advising major banks, finance providers, corporate and sovereign entities. It handles a range of India-related transactions, pertaining to sectors such as energy, infrastructure, transport, technology, life sciences and healthcare. Stephen Begley leads on this work from Singapore. With particular expertise acting for Indian corporates in the oil and gas, power and construction industries, the firm's ‘pragmatic and knowledgeable’ arbitration practice, based in London and Singapore, handles international proceedings in a variety of arbitral forums, such as UNCITRAL and the ICC, relating to unpaid project fees, breach of settlement and share purchase agreements, claims for damages and disputes between companies and investors. From London, qualified arbitrator and practice head Sherina Petit heads the India group and brings considerable expertise to the team through her diverse experience in international arbitrations in sectors including infrastructure, trade, pharmaceuticals and technology.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Begley; Aditi Aparajita; Selene Tan
‘Selene Tan is a solution provider and strives hard to find acceptable solutions.’
‘The firm’s partner availability and market awareness are unmatched.’
‘Selene Tan and Aditi Aparajita have vast experience and are able to provide commercial insights to legal matters.’
‘Selene Tan and Aditi Aparajita are excellent.’
‘Norton Rose is a very knowledgeable, efficient and cost-effective law firm and this is what makes them a good option for India originated transactions. The team is very familiar with the Indian market, Indian legal counsel and the Indian legal practice.’
‘The partners at Norton Rose Fulbright demonstrate good commercial acumen and have a personal approach when dealing with legal issues faced by clients in and from India.’
‘Ms Sherina Petit, Partner and Head of India Practice and Raj Karia, Partner Head of Corporate Group, both demonstrate a keen understanding of the client matters and cultural issues in India and are able to articulate these well so as to provide precise advice to clients.’
Asian Development Bank
Bank of Nova Scotia
The Bank of New York Mellon
International Finance Corporation
Mitsui & Co
Standard Chartered Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Advising Reliance Power Limited on the development and financing of a project consisting of a 750MW power plant to be set up at Meghnaghat and a 500mmscfd LNG-receiving terminal at Kutudbia Island in Bangladesh.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP advises on a range of corporate, finance and contentious mandates. A key practitioner in the London office is Gautam Bhattacharyya, who specialises in international commercial arbitration and litigation. London-based Ranajoy Basu joined McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP in April 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Shourav Lahiri; Sachin Kerur
‘What sets the Reed Smith team apart is its depth of understanding and appreciation of the Indian market and how clients in the market like to be advised. The team is culturally extremely well-attuned, its availability is first-rate and its response times are up there with the best. It also has an excellent grasp of value for money in the Indian context and, when it comes to fees, is both flexible and commercial.’
‘Gautam Bhattacharyya is an amazing client relationship partner and is incredibly good with clients. In advising on dispute resolution, he is a highly astute tactician who knows when to keep his powder dry and when to let loose with both barrels.’
‘I have been involved with advising and appearing as counsel in Indian legal disputes (arbitrations and litigation before the English courts) for 20 years. In that time it has been clear that Gautam Bhattacharyya of Reed Smith has one of the best if not the best India practices in London – he is a seasoned disputes lawyer with un-matched connections within the Indian legal profession where he is trusted and revered. Gautam’s team has breadth and depth of experience in a wide range of commercial disputes including energy, financial services, commodities, hospitality, new media, etc. The team also understands the proprietor-led nature of Indian commerce, and the international financial context better than any other firm I have worked for in this area.’
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton's service offering covers inbound and outbound investments, private equity, capital market offerings, antitrust, anti-corruption and dispute resolution. With a deep expertise in the Indian law aspects of transactions, the practice group has a strong track record in complex M&A, restructuring as well as litigation and investigations. Tihir Sarkar has led advice on several significant foreign direct investment projects in India, while Nallini Puri regularly assists corporations and private equity funds with cross-border investments. Sunil Gadhia is a name to note for dispute resolution and has extensive experience of English court litigation, arbitration as well as investigations and enforcement proceedings. All individuals named are based in the firm's London office.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive and quite active in India related transactions.’
‘Nallini Puri is an excellent partner. She has a good understanding of the commercial aspects of a transaction and is very constructive in her approach.’
‘Cleary’s performance has been very impressive. They have been very efficient and helped us in achieving good results. Client service and commercial awareness are outstanding.’
‘Rahul Mukhi is very responsive, has a positive attitude and good execution.’
Brookfield Asset Management
The Rise Fund
- Advising Brookfield Asset Management on the $600m purchase of certain hotel and hospitality-related assets of Hotel Leelaventure Limited.
- Acting for Warburg Pincus and other investors on a $1.25bn investment in Airtel Africa Limited, a telecoms and mobile money services provider in 14 countries across Africa.
- Advising TPG Asia on the proposed demerger of the hospital business of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a leading integrated healthcare delivery service provider in India, into Manipal Health Enterprises Private Limited, and the proposed acquisition by Manipal of a significant stake in the diagnostic business of Fortis Healthcare.
- Assisting The Rise Fund, a social impact investment fund managed by TPG Growth, with numerous investments and preferred stock investments, including in Leadership Boulevard, an India-based educational services platform, and The Better India, an India-based media platform.
Drawing upon close ties with a network of leading Indian firms, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is able to provide advice on private equity, fund formation, M&A transactions, direct investment as well as capital markets. The group has a strong reputation for its expertise in the insurance sector throughout Asia, and is also adept at representing clients in international dispute resolution. Corporate lawyer Geoffrey P. Burgess, whose experience ranges from cross-border joint ventures to financing matters, heads up the practice group from London, while co-head William Chua is based in Hong Kong. Chua's areas of expertise encompass takeovers, leveraged buyouts and spin-offs.
Geoffrey P. Burgess; William Chua
Other key lawyers:
Andrew M. Ostrognai; Geoffrey Kittredge; Gavin Anderson
‘Geoffrey Burgess and his team of associates are exceptional lawyers, quick to grasp the issue, be proactive and respond within the requested timelines.’
‘Exceptional client services.’
‘Debevoise with its lock-step approach ensures that partners work seamlessly and without any turf issue. The team’s strength lies in the deep understanding of the business. Compared to other firms, Debevoise sets itself apart by not engaging in a fee-war but staying true to its philosophy of delivering value for money.’
‘Geoffrey Burgess is an innovative and brilliant M&A lawyer who understands business, finance and other aspects that go into making a M&A proposition beneficial to both the acquirer and the target. His deep understanding of business across continents manifests in his ability to negotiate with the ‘let us get the deal done’ approach.’
‘Geoff Kittredge, Gavin Anderson are the PE brains in Debevoise and their deep understanding of the PE space make them stand out like beacons.’
‘Shashwat Patel is an upcoming and very bright associate with a very calm and cool temperament but beneath that veneer of a nicety lies a hard nosed approach to getting a deal done without creating ripples.’
‘The team was from a diverse background handling matters in different geographies; as a result they were able to bring in subject matter expertise for various different matters in the case.’
‘Geoffrey Burgess has a strong grasp on valuation which helped us draft our report. He is also well connected in this circle and was easily able to find us outside assistance as was required.’
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
Morgan Stanley Investment Management
Baring Private Equity Partners (India) Private Ltd.
Tata Teleservices Limited, Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) Limited
Tata Sons Private Limited
- Advised HarbourVest Partners on its $100m aggregate investment in Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank, a non-banking financial services company in India.
- Advised Tata Teleservices, the mobility division of Tata Sons, which paid American Tower Corporation (ATC) $320m (Rs 2,400 crore) as a one-time cash settlement for prematurely winding up some 30,000-odd tenancies after deciding to sell its mobility business to Bharti Airtel.
- Acted for the Poddar family on the sale of its remaining shareholding in Ashirvad Pipes to Aliaxis, a global leader in the manufacturing and distribution of advanced piping systems.
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP handles a range of M&A transactions, namely inbound investment, and provides advice across the full array of capital markets matters, including qualified institutional placements (QIPs) and Rule 144A/Regulation S equity offerings. The practice also offers representation in relation to international and local disputes, demonstrating experience acting for parties in arbitration proceeding involving Indian entities. Jointly leading the group are Singapore-based Jamie Benson, whose areas of expertise include international equity and debt offerings, and Priyank Srivastava, who splits his time between Singapore and Yangon, and focuses on the power sector and oil and gas/LNG matters.
Jamie Benson; Priyank Srivastava
The President of India
JM Financial Limited (formerly JM Financial Institutional Securities Limited)
Edelweiss Financial Services Limited
Goldman Sachs (India) Private Limited
Kotak Mahindra Capital Company Limited
Citigroup Global Markets India Private Limited
ICICI Securities Limited
SBI Capital Markets Limited
Centrum Capital Limited
Bajaj Finance Limited
IIFL Holdings Limited
Axis Capital Limited
Nomura Capital (India) Pte Ltd
- Acted as the sole international legal counsel to the book-running lead managers (JM Financial Limited and Edelweiss Financial Services Limited) on Fine Organic Industries Limited’s $86m IPO in India and concurrent private placements outside India as well as assisting with drafting the Risk Factors, Industry, Business and MD&A sections of the prospectus.
- Advising ICICI Securities Limited and Nomura Financial Advisory & Securities (India) Private Limited as the sole international legal counsel on Affle Holdings’ $94m IPO in India and concurrent private placements outside India and the U.S.
- Acting as sole international legal counsel to JM Financial Limited and Edelweiss Financial Services Limited (the book-running lead managers) on Prince Pipes and Fittings Limited’s $125m IPO in India and concurrent private placements outside India, including to qualified institutional buyers in the US as well as assisting with drafting the risk factors, industry, business and MD&A sections of the prospectus.
- Assisted with preparing certain international selling restrictions for IndusInd International Holdings Limited’s (a Mauritius-based company) rights issue offer document and advised on compliance with Regulation S under the Securities Act.
- Acted for Edelweiss Financial Services Limited on NCC Limited’s sale of $79.8m of its shares in a qualified institutions placement as well as advising on compliance with Regulation S under the US Securities Act and assistance with drafting the selling and transfer restrictions for the placement document.
The India practice at King & Spalding LLP undertakes inbound and outbound work in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, private equity, finance, international tax, trade, intellectual property and dispute resolution. Typical instructions also include projects and energy matters, as well as advice on government investigations and real estate. Cross-border transactions feature highly in Atlanta-based, co-head Rahul Patel's workload. Singapore-based Andrew Brereton has a wealth of experience in complex multi-jurisdictional financing arrangements; while commercial and treaty arbitration are some of the core areas of activity for Sajid Ahmed from the London office. Thomas K. Sprange QC in London, Richard Nelson in Singapore and Atlanta-based Brian A. White are also noted.
Rahul Patel; Thomas K. Sprange QC; Richard Nelson; Sajid Ahmed; Brian A. White Andrew Brereton
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly motivated and seasoned professionals with in-depth knowledge who provide seamless round the clock support through their various offices across the globe.’
‘Sajid Ahmed is a troubleshooter and will always go an extra mile to ensure that quality work products are made available within timelines and always appreciates business context.’
‘Thomas Sprange QC has a very sharp legal mind and is an excellent advocacy choice across dispute resolution forums.’
‘Thomas Childs is a very detail-oriented lawyer who would ensure that every point gets desired client attention.’
‘Martin Hunt is the most responsive lawyer we have ever come across. He is virtually available 24X7 and provides high quality work products well within testing timelines.’
‘Professionalism and ability to turnaround quickly on the problems referred. Work across time zones.’
Hiranandani Gas Company Private Limited (“H-Energy”)
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
Reliance Industries Ltd
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
The Aditya Birla Group
The Avantha Group
- Acts for Hiranandani Gas Company Private Limited, the subsidiary of an Indian conglomerate, on its establishment of LNG regasification terminals in India, the most advanced project being a floating LNG terminal on the west coast of India, at Jaigarh Port.
- Acted for TV Asia, the first information and entertainment channel for the South-Asian community in North America, on multiple confidential transactions in the past 12 months.
- Acting as project counsel to Asian Development Bank on the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (“TAPI”) Pipeline Project, advising on all inter-governmental agreements, host government agreements, gas transportation, the TAPI pipeline network code and shareholders’ agreements ($8bn).
- Advised Japanese conglomerate Mitsui O.S.K. Lines on its agreements with Swan LNG for an LNG terminal to be developed in Gujarat, India, with the intention of the terminal commencing operations in 2020.
- Representing Reliance Industries Limited in three related disputes in New Delhi under the UNCITRAL Rules relating to a production sharing contract with the Indian government. The first dispute relates to cost recovery issues under the contract, the second dispute has gas pricing as its subject matter, and the third dispute concerns gas migration from an adjacent block.
Ropes & Gray LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP advises on corporate and M&A matters, private equity, fund formation, real estate and financing arrangements. The firm is particularly renowned for its wealth of experience in special situations work, encompassing restructuring and refinancing issues, and its service offering in all areas of disputes, compliance and competition in India. London-based Ruchit Patel is the name to note for antitrust law matters. Corporate investigations, litigation and arbitration are all areas of expertise for Andrew Dale; while Geoff Atkins is a go-to lawyer for clients in India-related civil and criminal anti-corruption and securities enforcement matters. Daniel Anderson often receives instructions from investment funds in relation to debt and equity investments, particularly in relation to distressed assets. Named individuals are based in Hong Kong unless stated otherwise.
Daniel Anderson; Andrew Dale; Ruchit Patel
Other key lawyers:
Geoff Atkins; Kathleen Berkeley
‘Ropes & Gray has a very strong practice in healthcare and higher education sectors. Their multi-jurisdictional expertise in these sectors is unparalleled. The firm and its practitioners are highly regarded and respected across the industry.’
‘Mark Barnes has excellent knowledge and wide experience in the higher education and healthcare industries, with enviable client base and following.’
‘Michael Lanpert is highly recommended for his transactional insight and solution-oriented approach.’
Baring Private Equity Asia
- Advised Ensono, the leading hybrid technology services provider based in the US and Europe, on its $455m acquisition of Wipro’s managed hosting business, in one of India’s largest ever data centre deals.
- Acted for Baring Private Equity Asia on its purchase of circa 18.85 million NIIT Technologies Limited shares – circa 30% shareholding on a fully diluted basis in NIIT Technologies – from NIIT Limited and other promoter entities ($380m).
- Assisted SCIOInspire, a leading health analytics solutions and services company with a presence in India, the US and the UK, with its sale to EXL Service.com, a NASDAQ-listed operations management and analytics company.
- Acted for Google in multiple antitrust investigations conducted by the European Commission; the United States Federal Trade Commission; and the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP covers a broad spectrum of inbound and outbound India-focused matters, advising on M&A, international joint ventures, private equity deals, corporate finance transactions, as well as outsourcing arrangements across a range of industries, namely IT. Providing legal support on infrastructure project development and finance in the power, energy and oil sectors is a core aspect of the practice, which is also well-equipped to advise on cross-border disputes. Leading the corporate practice from Hong Kong is Jonathan Stone, who is experienced in capital markets transactions. Debt and equity capital markets offerings is also an area of activity for Singapore-based Rajeev Duggal, whose expertise also encompasses internal investigations.
Rajeev Duggal; Jonathan Stone
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep India practice across offices and practices: the firm cover all bases.’
‘Among the many Partners Skadden deploys on India-related matters, one can single out Jonathan Stone, Rajeev Duggal and Parveet Gandoak.’
‘While Skadden isn’t the most visible firm in the Indian market, but it is involved somewhere in practically every major deal that takes place. In line with its reputation, it is the firm to reach out to for any high risk or complex matter.’
‘Parveet’s efforts and visibility have really raised the firm’s profile among lawyers in India, whether in-house or in firms.’
3i Infotech Ltd
Unitech Corporate Park PLC
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Azure Power Global Limited
Standard Life Limited
AIA Group Limited
- Advised Equis Funds Group Pte Ltd (Singapore) on its $5bn sale of Equis Energy (Singapore) to Global Infrastructure Partners and co-investors, the largest renewable energy acquisition in history.
- Acted for Citigroup Inc. on the sale of the customer portfolio of its merchant acquiring business in 11 Asia Pacific markets to Wirecard AG (Germany); the transaction involved a complex structure across numerous jurisdictions with sequential closings and regulatory approvals.
- Advised Varuna Investments (India) on the restructuring and sale of Asian Genco Pte. Ltd.’s interest in Teesta Urja, a hydropower project in India, as well as settlement of certain disputes and certain regulatory matters.
With a particular focus on outbound matters,Stephenson Harwood fields a practice which enjoys close ties to India, and has the capability to assist with a wide range of transactional work and dispute resolution. The team has particular strength in international arbitration, while also demonstrating a renowned shipping litigation capability. London-based practice head Kamal Shah is the name to note for contentious matters, showcasing an impressive track record in complex local and multi-jurisdictional disputes. Key practitioners in the Dubai office include Diwakar Agarwal and Sandeep Dhama, whose expertise covers capital markets and restructuring matters. Singapore-based Gregory Xu has specialist experience in the transport sector, often advising on financing arrangements pertaining to aviation, shipping and offshore oil and gas.
Other key lawyers:
‘What sets Stephenson Harwood apart from its peers is its unique ability to relate to Indian clientele and provide complete support and personalised attention. In addition to quality of service, Indian clients value accessibility and solicitors that can relate to them, and by and far SH does an incredible job of doing this.’
‘A wonderful team of lawyers who impress at every level.’
‘Kamal Shah who heads the Africa and India practice group is a brilliant solicitor and fantastic to deal with on a professional and personal level. He is always accessible, follows up on all matters, and is pro-active.’
‘Vivek Kapoor from the firm’s London offices is an excellent litigator, is always well prepared and has an excellent grasp of facts and law.’
‘Sunita Singh Dalal who recently joined SH’s Dubai office has a firm grasp of private client work and structuring its wealth advisory practice which addresses Indian clients who are looking to make offshore investment in overseas jurisdictions. Sunita’s wealth of experience, reliability and communication skills are impressive.’
‘The team was very professional and took a lot of time dealing with the issues raised.’
Jindal Steel and Power
The British Asian Trust
MUFG Bank (India)
Mizuho Bank (India)
AION Capital Partners
Global United Shipping
- Advising Axis UK and AXIS GIFT City on a €42m financing for the two SONA Group companies in Germany.
- Advising KIMS Healthcare Group on re-drafting several internal corporate arrangements across the Middle East, including UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar following the investment by True North into KIMS.
- Advising Cleartrip, a leading online travel company headquartered in India on the completion of a significant acquisition of the Flyin Group, an online travel business in Saudi Arabia and three other jurisdictions ($50m).
- Acting for Midtown Acquisitions LP in enforcing a New York Supreme Court Judgment for a sum of $171.77m against Essar Global Fund Limited (an Indian conglomerate group based in Mumbai), in the UAE.
Bird & Bird LLP assists with inbound and outbound investment structures, as well as handling disputes and employment matters. The India desk is jointly led by James Mullock, whose areas of expertise include data protection and cyber law, and Nipun Gupta,who is experienced in advising international clients on mergers, acquisitions and disposals. Both practitioners are based in London.
James Mullock; Nipun Gupta
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP fields a team with in-depth knowledge of the Indian legal landscape and business environment, handling complex corporate M&A and capital markets transactions. Financial intermediaries and private equity sponsors frequently seek out London-based Jeffrey O’Brien for leveraged finance and other capital markets transactions. Key practitioners in the Hong Kong office include William Barron and Gerhard Radtke, whose expertise encompasses securities offerings.
Gibson Dunn advises clients on their corporate and M&A India-related activities, providing assistance with investment structuring in a variety of sectors, such as manufacturing, energy, IT, real estate, aviation and infrastructure. Overseeing the group is Singapore-based Jai Pathak who has extensive experience in cross-border takeovers, dispositions and infrastructure development. Another key practitioner is Karthik Ashwin Thiagarajan, who focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and restructuring matters involving India.
Other key lawyers:
Scott Jalowayski; Karthik Ashwin Thiagarajan
The Kraft Heinz Company
InterGlobe Aviation Limited / Indigo Airlines/ InterGlobe Enterprises
Kayu Pte. Ltd. / Happy Marketer Pte. Ltd.
Smart Ventures Private Limited / Si2i Ltd
Aditya Birla Group
Platinum Equity, LLC
Bromford Holdings, LP / Liberty Hall Partners
- Advised The Kraft Heinz Company on the $625m sale of Heinz India Private Limited, which is comprised of the Complan, Glucon-D, Nycil and Sampriti brands and two manufacturing facilities, to Zydus Wellness, an Indian consumer health products company.
- Acted for Celanese Corporation, a global chemical and specialty materials company, on the acquisition of Next Polymers Limited, which is one of India’s largest engineering thermoplastics compounders.
- Advised InterGlobe Enterprises, an Indian travel major, on the $230m sale of its IT and back-office arm, InterGlobe Technologies (IGT) with offices in India and the Philippines, to Aion Capital Partners, the joint venture between Apollo Global Management and ICICI Venture.
- Assisted Platinum Equity with the $630m acquisition of Lonza’s water care business, which includes six production facilities throughout North America, South America, and EMEA, and sales locations in all major regions globally including India.
- Assisting IndiGo, a leading airline in India, with various acquisitions/leasing of aircraft and aircraft engines, arbitration and anti-corruption legislation and US customs and export control-related regulations.
Kirkland & Ellis LLP acts for global clients operating in India on matters relating to M&A, special situations, litigation and arbitration, and tax structuring as well as intellectual property. The firm is well-versed in anti-corruption, international risks investigations and enforcement actions. Chicago-based Srinivas Kaushik leads advice on mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and investments, while Asheesh Goel focuses on securities enforcement matters. White-collar crime and compliance expert Cori Lable is a name to note from the Hong Kong office.
Asheesh Goel; Srinivas Kaushik; Cori Lable
Other key lawyers:
Jay P. Lefkowitz; Atif Khawaja; Tarun Warriar;
‘The firm has consistently demonstrated excellent knowledge and expertise. Further, they are always willing to learn from and drive other stakeholders to perform better which creates great results for the client in every engagement.’
‘There are multiple reasons which motivated us to work with Kirkland, the most notable being their reputation, track record, recommendations from colleagues, and strong industry knowledge.’
‘Cori A. Lable is an excellent attorney who has a clear vision in every assignment along with the flexibility to change strategy if the need arises. She sets very high standards for herself which translates to everybody working with her to ensure excellent results.’
Apax Partners LLP
New Silk Route Partners
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
United Research Laboratories, Inc.
Hi-Tech Pharmacal Co., Inc.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC
ECR Pharmaceuticals Co., Inc.
Sun TV Network Limited
Walworth Investments – LG LLC
- Advised GLP, a global provider of logistics facilities and technology solutions, on its entry into a strategic partnership with IndoSpace as well as on certain co-investments.
- Acted for funds advised by Apax Partners LLP on the acquisition of a controlling stake in Healthium MedTech Private Limited, a leading India-based medical devices company; this is the first unitranche financing for an Asia leveraged buy-out.
- Represents Lupin Ltd. and its affiliates, Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Lupin Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., and certain Lupin executives in enforcement litigation brought by the State of Texas claiming the defendants defrauded the Texas Medicaid programme by allegedly providing false and misleading generic drug pricing information.
- Defending Ranbaxy in a nationwide antitrust class action brought by direct and indirect purchasers of the drug Lipitor® (atorvastatin) challenging the so-called “reverse payment” settlement of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation.
- Represents Walworth Investments – LG LLC, an investment group involving the family of Aon founder and former Northwestern University board chairman Patrick Ryan, which filed a suit against data analytics firm Mu Sigma, Inc., and its founder and CEO, Dhiraj C. Rajaram.
Based in Singapore, Mayer Brown’s arbitration practice acts for Indian corporates and clients operating in India, predominantly in high-value disputes arising from major construction and engineering projects. The group also focuses on the renewable energy sector, acting specifically for solar power companies, and handles commercial, joint venture, and oil and gas arbitrations in connection with proceedings taking place or arising in India. Of note is Yu-Jin Tay, who is involved in international arbitrations in Singapore, London, New York, Dubai and various other jurisdictions, and boasts additional expertise advising investors and states in investment treaty arbitrations.
Menachem Hasofer; John Hickinsinga
Other key lawyers:
Drawing upon close ties with key Indian law firms, Slaughter and May provides legal support on private and public M&A, corporate transactions, financing, capital markets as well as dispute resolution. Nilufer Von Bismarck's areas of expertise include joint ventures, equity and debt capital markets and corporate governance; while Simon Hall is experienced in project and acquisition finance.
With particular expertise in public policy issues, Squire Patton Boggs has extensive experience handling public takeovers and tender offers. The practice group is also adept at advising on equity and debt capital markets as well as US securities, which are areas of strength for Biswajit Chatterjee. Chatterjee, who splits his time between Dubai and Singapore, has a strong track record acting for issuers and investment banks on a range of corporate finance transactions related to India. The firm's offering was further strengthened by the arrival of Nimi Patel, who previously headed Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's India practice. Frank Samolis in Washington, DC and Frank Wisner in New York are also noted.
Biswajit Chatterjee; Frank Samolis; Nimi Patel; Frank Wisner
Other key lawyers:
‘Squire Patton Boggs has a strong India focused team of experienced lawyers, who understand the nuances and adhere well to strict timelines.’
‘Biswajit Chaterjee is an experienced senior partner who is client focused and always available.’
Tata Consultancy Services
Just Dial Limited
- Advised Raksha Energy Holdings Limited on its successful takeover of AIM-listed Guernsey company Mytrah Energy Limited, a large independent power producer in the Indian renewable energy sector; work involved advising on a range of financing and strategic options.
- Advised the Brokers (Axis Capital, Kotak Mahindra Capital Company, ICICI Securities, SBI Cap Securities and JM Financial) on the offer for sale by Coal India of its shares held by the government of India ($750m).
- Advised the lead manager, Axis Capital Limited on the $285m rights offering by Indiabulls Ventures Limited.
- Acted as international counsel to Prudential Corporation Holdings Limited on the $230m sale of its stake in ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited.
- Advised NIIT Technologies Limited, a listed Indian company which provides IT-enabled learning solutions, on its acquisition of RuleTek LLC, a US entity.
With particular expertise in the financial services and real estate sectors, WongPartnership LLP handles M&A, strategic alliances, real estate and hospitality-related investments for foreign clients venturing into the Indian market, as well as local businesses as they expand regionally. Restructuring and insolvency proceedings as well as dispute resolution are other core areas for the firm, which is also well versed in international arbitration. Co-head Smitha Menon is part of the banking and financial disputes and international arbitration practices, and has experience advising on restructuring and insolvency mandates.
Andre Maniam; Low Kah Keong; Manoj Pillay Sandrasegara; Smitha Menon
Tencent Holdings Limited
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Advisory Services Pte. Ltd.
Madison Pacific Trust
- Acting for the receivers and managers appointed in relation to Lanco Resources International Pte Ltd, to facilitate a better realisation of the assets charged to the lenders in connection with facilities of approximately $960m.
- Acting for the receivers and managers appointed in relation to Amtek Global Technologies Pte. Ltd. to facilitate a better realisation of the assets charged to the lenders in connection with facilities of over €375m that had been extended by the lenders to Amtek.
- Acting for Madison Pacific Trust in its capacity as security trustee of the $75.2m 2.8% convertible bonds due in 2020 issued by Videocon Industries Limited.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Walmart Inc. on its acquisition of a 77% stake in Flipkart, an an e-commerce company based in Bengaluru, India ($16bn).
- Advised Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited on the $293.3m joint investment by Temasek (through Anderson Investments Pte. Ltd.) and Ascendas-Singbridge Group in Ascendas India Logistics Pte. Ltd.