Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Naik Naik & Company
Naik Naik & Co is a full-service law firm Headquartered in Mumbai with affiliate offices PAN India. Established in 2004, the Firm today houses about fifty highly skilled legal professionals, focused on providing strategic, innovative and holistic legal solutions to its clients.View Profile...
Dispute resolution in India
Khaitan & Co.
Khaitan & Co. represents domestic and international banks, corporations and high-net-worth individuals throughout India's court circuit in relation to competition law, data privacy, financial crime and bankruptcy, among other areas. Chakrapani Misra specialises in commercial disputes and has additional expertise in IP law. Ajay Bhargava has over 20 years' experience in disputes regarding constitutional, criminal and civil law.
Ajay Bhargava; Sanjeev K Kapoor; Chakrapani Misra; Raj Panchmatia
‘Khaitan & Co has a very strong base in dispute resolution, especially in terms of commercial matters. Their knowledge of the substantive law is admirable and the way they manage the procedures is commendable.’
AZB & Partners has impressive strength in corporate disputes and a proven track record of acting in seminal cases in relation to the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (IBC), not only on the side of resolution applicants but also on behalf of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in major challenges to its authority. The team’s further expertise includes trade mark law, shareholder disputes, and advising clients during regulatory proceedings in relation to the financial markets, power and real estate. Vijayendra Pratap Singh, whose expertise lies in corporate and commercial litigation and regulatory matters, successfully defended Tata Steel against challenges made to its appointment as the resolution applicant for Bhushan Steel.
Rajendra Barot; Vijayendra Pratap Singh
Reserve Bank of India
National Stock Exchange of India
KKR India Asset Finance Private
Genpact India Private
Duff & Phelps
BSES Rajdhani Power
Solar Industries India
ETA Star Holdings Ltd., Mr. Salahuddin & family, Arif Buhary Rahman and Mr. Essa Al Ghurair
91Street Media Technologies
- Advised and represented Tata Steel, the successful resolution applicant, before the National Company Law Tribunal, Principal Bench, New Delhi, in the matter of the approval of its resolution plan submitted for Bhushan Steel, the corporate debtor.
- Advised and represented the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in defending a circular issued by the RBI prohibiting banking entities regulated by it from either dealing in virtual currencies or providing services facilitating entities dealing in them.
- Advised and represented the RBI in landmark proceedings before the Supreme Court filed by Swiss Ribbons challenging the constitutionality of the IBC.
- Advised and represented BRPL and BYPL in defending three appeals filed by the government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi, the comptroller and auditor general and United RAWs Joint Action, seeking to reverse a judgment issued by the Delhi High Court regarding the authority of the comptroller and auditor general to audit the records of power distribution companies in the territory.
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas' 'excellent' litigation group has extensive experience representing and advising clients, including members of the committee of creditors and financial creditors, during cases under the IBC, and has acted in several landmark judgments before the Supreme Court of India. The firm’s broader litigation expertise spans corporate, criminal, intellectual property and fraud cases, and the team handles proceedings in courts throughout the country as part of its pan-India offering. Gauri Ragostra, who has 26 years’ experience handling contentious and non-contentious corporate matters, stands out for her representation of the new board of directors of IL&FS in proceedings before the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) in relation to the company’s default of INR900bn.
Other key lawyers:
ICICI Bank Limited
Government appointed board of IL&FS and group companies
Board of Control for Cricket in India
National Stock Exchange of India
Consortium of Lenders to Jaypee Infratech Limited
The Committee of Creditors of Bhushan Power and Steel
Ernst & Young
Sun Direct TV Pvt Ltd and South Asia FM Ltd
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Alvarez and Marsal
- Advised and represented the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in the Supreme Court in proceedings initiated by cricketer S. Sreesanth against the life ban order imposed on him by BCCI.
- Advised and represented ICICI Bank, a member of the committee of creditors, in the Supreme Court in the insolvency proceedings against Innoventive Industries.
- Advised and represented Rousdonmullai Estate, a tea estate in Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu, in appeal proceedings before the Madras High Court in relation to an application for ryotwari patta filed by the estate, and in proceedings before the Supreme Court of India and the Central Environment Committee regarding allegations of deforestation made against major tea estates.
- Advised and represented Axis Bank, as a financial creditor in insolvency proceedings, before the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) and the Supreme Court.
- Advised and represented the National Stock Exchange of India in a dispute with the Singapore Stock Exchange relating to intellectual property in derivative indices.
The 'thorough and quick' litigation team at Economic Laws Practice frequently handles commercial, white-collar crime and tax-related disputes in the Supreme Court, high courts and commercial courts, in addition to advising clients on regulatory matters in various tribunals, including the National Green Tribunal and the Telecom Disputes Settlement Appellate Tribunal. Practice head Naresh Thacker recently acted for L&T Sapura Shipping in a high-value dispute before the Bombay High Court concerning the cancellation of an essentiality certificate in relation to the import of goods. Associate partner Alok Jain joined the firm in 2018. Ashish Prasad has notable expertise advising clients in the energy sector on major disputes, in addition to a wealth of experience handling IP enforcement actions. He is currently acting for the Power Development Department of the state of Jammu and Kashmir in a claim for losses arising from the abandonment of a hydroelectric power plant project. MP Devnath has joined Seetharaman & Associates.
Other key lawyers:
‘The first distinguishing factor of ELP’s litigation practice is the speed with which they take over any matter and come back with the preliminary response. They are also adept at handling the matter independently by forging good relations with stakeholders from different areas.’
Multiplex Association of India
Larsen & Toubro Sapura Shipping Private Limited
SNC Lavalin Infrastructures
Meridian Shipping Agency
Allcargo Global Logistics
Mundra International Container Terminal
Forbes & Company
Honeycomb Logistics .
Welspun Global Brands
Honeywell Automation India
Boskalis International BV
Larsen and Toubro Limited
L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering Limited
J Ray McDermott SA
Tata Sons Ltd.
Advanced MedTech Solutions Private Limited
Adani Enterprises Ltd.
Oakwood Management Services India Pvt. Ltd.
Dubai Port World
Gateway Terminals India Pvt. Ltd.
Centrient Pharmaceuticals India Pvt. Ltd
SNC Lavalin Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.
- Advised Heligo Charters in court against a section 9 petition filed by Aircon.
- Advised and represented the director of SNC Lavalin Infrastructures in a case arising out of non-compliance with the Payment Wages Act.
J Sagar Associates
With 29 partners across the firm’s pan-India litigation practice, J Sagar Associates has an impressive track record of representing clients in all courts, particularly in disputes in the energy and power sector, multinational competition law matters, securities litigation and, increasingly, regulatory disputes in the pharmaceutical industry and banking disputes before specialist tribunals. Above all else, the firm stands out for its active role in several precedent-setting matters in the Supreme Court, including a recent mandate led by constitutional law specialist Amit Kapur, in which the team represented several power companies seeking to stay the initiation of IBC proceedings, compelling the court to issue a landmark judgment quashing a circular issued by the Reserve Bank of India on stressed assets. Amar Gupta is a true expert in all types of commercial disputes taking place in court and through arbitration, including those concerning joint venture agreements, infrastructure projects and shareholders' agreements.
Dhirendra Negi; Vinod Kumar
GVK Power Limited
ATC Telecom Tower Corporation
Coastal Gujarat Power Limited & Tata Power
Larsen & Toubro
National Seeds Association of India
- Advised and represented Adani Power (Mundra) and Coastal Gujarat Power in proceedings before the Supreme Court seeking to clarify the court’s judgment in a previous case disallowing compensation for power distributors.
- Advised and represented BRPL and BYPL in a challenge before the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) to excess billing by generating company NTPC.
- Advised and represented Tata Power-DDL in a batch of appeals before the Supreme Court of India relating to the audit of the accounts of nongovernment companies by the comptroller and auditor general of India.
- Advised and represented NSL Group in a patent appeal filed by Monsanto before the Delhi High Court.
- Advised and represented Hyundai Motor India in an appeal before the Supreme Court challenging an interim order passed by the NCLAT penalising car manufacturers for restrictive supplying of spare parts.
Kochhar & Co.’s litigation team has been particularly active recently representing companies in the infrastructure and construction sector in complex mandates, including disputes regarding bank guarantees and breach of contract and insolvency proceedings under the IBC, where the team acts for operational creditors, financial creditors and debtors. Another notable facet of the practice is its involvement in disputes arising from public sector undertakings. Advocate Krishna Vijay Singh represents domestic and overseas clients in infrastructure, energy and commercial disputes. He recently acted for VIL in a high-value dispute with IL&FS Transportation Networks over bank guarantees in relation to a road development project.
Rohit Kochhar; Krishna Vijay Singh
Andhra Bank, South Indian Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce
Asset Reconstruction Company
Bharat Petroleum Corporation
CD Pharma India Private Limited
Eli Lilly & Company
Excise and Taxation Technical Services Agency
India Infrastructure Finance Company
Indian Oil Corporation Limited, India
Indus Towers Limited
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
Oriental Bank of Commerce
Regus Business Centre
- Advised and represented Indus in litigation against Reliance Communications.
- Advised and represented National Bank of Fujairah in three different civil suits for recovery of outstanding debts from guarantors which had given unconditional and irrevocable personal guarantees in case of default of repayment of credit facilities taken by companies in Dubai, UAE.
- Advised and represented Simplex Infrastructures before the Delhi High Court in a petition under section 34 of the Arbitration & Conciliation Act, 1996, challenging the award granted in arbitration between the client and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
- Advised and represented South Indian Bank and Andhra Bank in relation to the recovery of various sums from National Highway of India which were advanced to the concessionaires under two projects.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co's litigation practice handles cases in all courts across India in a wide variety of sectors, including energy, banking, oil and gas, and infrastructure. The group has been particularly active recently in disputes relating to the enforcement of arbitration awards in the construction and other sectors; matters before the NCLT relating to internal company disputes and insolvency proceedings under the IBC; and major mandates involving complex areas of law, including fraud, competition law, unfair trade practices and intermediary liability, where the team acts for petitioners and respondents. Highly experienced practice head Pallavi Shroff is particularly well-known for his strength representing major corporations in competition law disputes, such acting for Nestle in its defence of a class action alleging unfair trade practices. Ritu Bhalla, whose expertise lies in commercial and regulatory litigation, stands out for her recent advice to Navayuga Engineering Company in proceedings challenging the NCLT’s decision to disqualify the client from acting as the resolution applicant of Athena Demwe Power, raising novel questions of law in relation to the procedure for blacklisting a resolution applicant. Nitesh Jain is another standout practitioner, with a track record of representing clients throughout India's courts and in the National Company Law Tribunal in class actions, shareholder disputes and various other complex cases.
Navayuga Engineering Company
Thiess Minecs India
National Buildings Construction Corporation
Indian Paint Association
Facebook, Inc. and WhatsApp
Tata Sons Private Limited
Mr. Ratan N. Tata
Mr. Amit Chandra
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles
SRS Investments Bengal Tiger
ATC Telecom Infrastructure
Matrix Partners India Investment Holdings
Matrix Partners India Investments
Resurgence PE Investments
Channel Vas Services India Private Limited
- Advised and represented Nestle India in class action proceedings before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) initiated by the Union of India alleging unfair trade practices.
- Advised and represented NBCC India (formerly known as National Buildings Construction Corporation), a Navratna enterprise of the government of India, in litigation before the Supreme Court regarding the completion of unfinished real estate projects.
- Advised and represented Tata Communications before the Delhi High Court in a challenge to an award of compensation by the land acquisition collector for the acquisition of a parcel of land belonging to the client.
Trilegal’s litigation team stands out for its prominent role advising creditors, resolution applicants and shareholders before the NCLT and the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) in various disputes arising under the IBC concerning the corporate insolvency resolution process. Beyond this, the group represents clients throughout India's courts in relation to the enforcement of arbitration awards, allegations of unfair trade practices, specific regulatory issues in sectors such as telecoms and electricity, and shareholder disputes. Shankh Sengupta, who specialises in commercial and white-collar crime disputes, recently advised Bharti Airtel and its subsidiaries in a case which culminatated in a landmark judgment by the NCLT regarding whether the application of set-off on account of mutual dealings can be allowed during the corporate insolvency resolution process.
Other key lawyers:
Cellular Operators Association of India
Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
Noble Resources International
Power Grid Corporation
- Advised Tata Communications before the Supreme Court of India and the NCDRC in proceedings against one of India’s biggest diagnostic centres, relating to allegations of deficiency of service, unfair trade practices and negligence in the cloud and computing and data storage services provided by Tata Communications through its ‘InstaCompute’ platform.
- Advised and represented Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank on matters pertaining to the recovery of debts owed by Bhushan Steel under various loan facility agreements.
- Advised ICICI Bank prior on the admission of the insolvency application against GGL in respect of loans advanced to GGL and acting as legal counsel to the committee of creditors.
Khaitan & Khaitan
Khaitan & Khaitan 'knowledgeable and pragmatic' litigation practice handles a high volume of mandates in the pharmaceutical sector relating to drug price control orders on behalf of major companies. In addition, the team advises financial creditors on securing their debts under the IBC procedure in the NCLT, and handles volume litigation for corporations in a range of sectors in relation to breach of contract disputes. Another important sector for the firm is the sugar industry: Navpreet S Ahluwalia, who is highly active across the full range of litigation matters, recently represented SBEC Sugar in seeking an injunction preventing the defendant company from disposing of assets over which the client had a registered charge. Subodh Sadana and Ray Sharat Prasad joined the practice as partners in 2019 from Advaita Legal.
Ashutosh Khaitan; Navpreet Singh Ahluwalia; Prantik Hazarika
Modi-Mundipharma Pvt. Ltd.
G.S. Pharmbutors Pvt. Ltd.
Rodere Holdings Limited
SMC Global Securities Ltd. & Others
Bougainvillea Multiplex Entertainment Center Pvt. Ltd.
SBEC Bio Energy Ltd.
SBEC Sugar Ltd.
Jammu & Kashmir Bank
Modi Industries Ltd. (Sugar Unit)
Transport Corporation Of India
Luminous Power Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
With a wealth of experience representing clients throughout India's court circuit, Singh & Associates Founder – Manoj K Singh Advocates and Solicit has particular strength in disputes regarding intellectual property, corporate law, tax, and construction projects. The firm is also known for its expertise advising pharmaceutical companies in high-value disputes before regulatory bodies and courts across India in relation to a broad range of issues. Manoj Kumar Singh has a strong track record handling cases in the Supreme Court, all of India's High Courts, and before various tribunals, specialising in commercial disputes and cross-border financial disputes. Daizy Chawla is known for her ability to represent clients in a broad range of corporate, tax, and intellectual property cases, spanning areas such as foreign investment, regulatory enforcement, and M&A. In an ongoing matter, the firm is acting for Themis Medicare in a dispute in the High Court of Delhi brought by the drugs authorities regarding the use of excipients, with a claim value of INR5bn.
Manoj Kumar Singh; Gunita Pahwa; Daizy Chawla
Jindal ITF Limited (JITF)
JITF Urban Waste Management (Jalandhar) Ltd.
Gwalior Bypass Project Ltd.
JITF Urban Waste Management (Bhatinda) Ltd.
JITF Urban Waste Management (Ferozepur) Ltd.
JITF Water Infrastructure Ltd.
Jindal SAW Limited, Jindal ITF Ltd., Sulog Transshipment Services Limited
Abbott Healthcare Private Limited
Themis Medicare Ltd.
Novartis India Ltd.
Jindal Steel & Power Ltd.
- Successfully advised and represented Jindal ITF Ltd. before the High Court of Delhi, defending an appeal filed by M/s NTPC Ltd. under Section 37 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 against the interim order of the Arbitral Tribunal under Section 17 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 allowing our Client’s application for stay on the illegal termination of the Tripartite Agreement.
- Advised JITF as the claimant before Bombay High Court relating to a ship management agreement with Crowley Accord, resulting in a favourable settlement.
- Advised Jindal Saw Limited on its filing of a claim for damages against several large international banks following a class-action suit in New York, arising from alleged price-fixing in the FX market by said banks.
ALMT Legal’s disputes practice spans intellectual property, employment, shipping, commercial and company, real estate and family law, and the team represents clients in the Supreme Court, high courts across India and various regulatory tribunals, including tax tribunals. The group frequently acts for clients in recovery proceedings or in enforcement proceedings to secure payment of arbitration awards, covering a wide range of sectors including telecoms, construction and pharmaceuticals. Sameer Tapia counts corporates and individuals among his clients.
Sameer Tapia; Prashant Popat
Bharucha & Partners
Bharucha & Partners’ litigation team focuses primarily on commercial disputes but also handles construction, insurance, white-collar crime, real estate and intellectual property mandates across a diverse spread of sectors, including financial services, food and drink, and media and entertainment, with particular expertise in the telecoms sector. Practice head MP Bharucha, who regularly advises clients on the application of Indian law in England, the US and Singapore, recently represented Vodafone Idea in a range of contentious matters, including successfully refuting the Competition Commission of India’s right to investigate alleged anti-consumer conduct of telecoms companies.
Mahyco Monsanto Biotech
Prysmian Cavi e Sistemi S.r.l.
Inspectorate Griffith India
ATC Infrastructure Services
Trau Bros. N.V.
- Advised and represented ITC and its wholly owned subsidiary in their capacity as minority shareholders in an oppression and mismanagement action in relation to the proposed sale of Hotel Leelaventure to Brookfield.
- Advised and represented Besso, a Lloyd’s placement broker, in resisting reinsurance claims by Reliance General Insurance in relation to personal accident death insurance policies of the State Bank of India before the Bombay High Court.
- Advised and represented Diageo plc and its associate companies successfully before the Securities Exchange Board of India in connection with a show cause notice in which the client was required to show cause as to why an open offer ought not to be made when United Spirits’ status changed from being an entity jointly controlled by the UB Group and Diageo to one solely controlled by Diageo.
- Advised and represented Inspectorate Griffith India in the Bharuch District Court in relation to a suit filed by Iffco-Tokio General Insurance Company pursuant to an insurance claim.
- Assisted HSBC France in establishing a claim for financial debt against Reliance Telecom in the corporate insolvency resolution process.
Dhir & Dhir Associates has significant expertise in the area of insolvency proceedings, where it typically acts for major corporate debtors, not purely in relation to resolution plans but also in complex restructuring mandates. Outside this core area, the group regularly advises clients in the telecoms sector in cases arising from serious regulatory issues. Practice head Alok Dhir has a long track record of advising corporate entities in distress and is currently advising IL&FS on the NCLAT’s decision to pass a moratorium order in relation to the company, preventing the branches of the company with sufficient capital from discharging obligations towards lenders.
Alok Dhir; Maneesha Dhir; KPS Kohli; Sachin Gupta; Varsha Banerjee
L&T Infrastructure Finance Company
Amtek Machining Systems
Punjab National Bank (PNB)
Sharon Bio Medicine
Power Finance Corporation
- Advised and represented the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority of India in several matters filed by broadcasters, including the News Broadcasters Association and 9X Media, before the Delhi High Court challenging the 12-minute cap on advertisements in an hour on television channels.
- Advised Amtek Machining Systems in a dispute with Volvo over the breach of a share pledge agreement, which eventually went to arbitration.
- Advised and represented Ferro Alloys Corporation in resolution proceedings before the NCLT in Kolkata.
- Advised Sharon Bio-Medicine in a matter relating to the rights of the suspended board and the continuance of members’ guarantees after the takeover of the company by new management.
DSK Legal regularly acts for resolution applicants and resolution professionals throughout the course of insolvency proceedings, including in novel cases before the Supreme Court of India. The team also handles a wide range of contentious matters in relation to development projects, allegedly offensive content, family disputes and copyright infringement. Practice head Anand Desai, who regularly represents clients before the Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court, recently acted for the state of Maharashtra and the Central Public Works Department in a $600m dispute with KS Chamankar Enterprises stemming from the termination of a development agreement which prevented a large-scale project from commencing.
Mr. Salman Khan
Saint Gobain India
Indian Oil Corporation
National Highway Authority of India
National Thermal Power Corporation
Government of Maharashtra
Invesco Mutual Fund
Tata Chemicals Limited
- Advised and represented Tata Chemicals with respect to a suit filed before the Delhi High Court seeking injunctive relief against derogatory advertising by Puro Wellness in respect of salt products.
- Advised Salman Khan Films before the Supreme Court of India in relation to challenges filed against content produced by the company on the grounds that it was demeaning to certain religious festivals.
- Advised and represented Mohalla Tech, the developer of the popular ShareChat app, in a copyright infringement suit filed against Bytedance Inc, Google and Google India.
- Advised Asset Reconstruction Company India, Shamrock Pharmachemi and Intas Pharmeceuticals on submitting a resolution plan for Unimark Remedies.
- Advised the committee of creditors during the insolvency process of Wind World (India).
With a wide roster of international and domestic corporates as clients and considerable experience throughout India's court circuit, Dua Associates carries out leading work in relation to IP law, including copyright and trade mark infringement cases, where the team primarily acts for claimants. The group's broader caseload covers anti-dumping disputes, defamation suits and public liability cases. Practice head Shiraz Patodia is a name to note.
Hariani & Co., Advocates and Solicitors' 'responsive and well-prepared' practice is particularly active in the Bombay High Court and the NCLT, where it predominantly handles disputes in the healthcare, real estate, banking, insurance and hospitality sectors. The group also frequently advises clients on writ petitions, acting for both petitioners and respondents, and has further expertise in defamation, trade mark and copyright infringement claims.
‘Very professional team with great problem-solving skills.‘
- Advised and represented Lodha Developers in a matter filed before the Bombay High Court seeking the revocation of a part-occupancy certificate issued for buildings forming part of a project being carried out by the client.
- Advised and represented Malabar Hill Citizens’ Forum in a petition filed in the Bombay High Court challenging to a quit notice issued by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai relating to land held by the client.
- Advised and represented a well-known UK music company in a dispute relating to infringement rights.
- Advised and represented Advani Hotels and Resorts and Mr Prahlad Advani in a defamation suit filed by the clients in the Bombay High Court.
HSA Advocates has longstanding experience advising clients in the energy sector, including renewables, on a wide range of disputes, most recently in relation to objections to article 226 of the Constitution of India and issues arising from power purchase agreements. The team has further expertise in acting for financial creditors in proceedings under the IBC regarding debt recovery, as well as handling regulatory disputes and corporate and commercial disputes in sectors including infrastructure, banking and financial services. Practice head Hemant Sahai, whose key sectors are infrastructure and energy, recently acted for Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam in a dispute regarding fuel costs. Six members of the practice, including senior partner Abeezar E Faizullabhoy, left the firm to join Argus Partners in 2019; however, it was joined by seven new lawyers, including Puja Priyadarshini from J Sagar Associates and Kshitiz Khera from Link Legal - India Law Services.
Hemant Sahai; Apoorva Misra; Amrita Narayan; Pragya Ohri; Rajdeep Choudhary; Chinmay Mirji; Shreshth Sharma
‘The disputes team at HSA is exceptional. Under the leadership of Hemant Sahai, the team has dedicated lawyers who have the ability to work round the clock to assist a client needing urgent advice and assistance.’
‘We engage Hemant Sahai for advice and assistance on regulatory disputes. His in-depth understanding of the energy sector and the ability to find solutions to issues is exceptional.’
Avantor Performance Materials
Acme Cleantech Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
GVK including Mumbai International Airport Limited
Hindustan Construction Company
Instalaciones Inabensa, S.A.
Mumbai Port Trust
Mytrah Energy Limited
ONGC Videsh Ltd.
SB Energy (Softbank Group)
Sembcorp Power Limited
Vizhinjam International Seaport
- Advised and represented Mumbai International Airport Limited in litigation challenging tariff determination orders passed by the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India, among other issues.
- Advised and represented Renascent Power Venture in an appeal before the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity challenging the order of Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission wherein the commission reduced the tariff of Prayagraj Power Generation Company while approving the client’s shareholding acquisition of Prayagraj.
- Advised and represented L&T Finance, as a financial creditor, in a petition under section 7 of the IBC to initiate an insolvency resolution process.
- Advised and represented Mumbai Port Trust in eviction proceedings against Indian Hotels Company (in relation to the Taj Mahal Palace hotel) before the Bombay High Court.
The litigation team at IndusLaw frequently handles recovery matters before the NCLT on behalf of petitioners, and also has expertise in cases relating to allegations of fraud, patent infringement, bilateral treaty disputes and contentious matters governed by the Companies Act, 2013. Lomesh Nidmuri, whose expertise includes intellectual property and commercial disputes, successfully represented SAIF III Mauritius Company in a claim against iVision Media India and several others concerning the transfer of the client's investments into a different group company. The group was strengthened by the arrival of four partners, including Swapnil Khatri, who represents clients including major corporations and banks before the Supreme Court, Bombay High Court and the NCLT.
Other key lawyers:
Google India Private Limited
SAIF III Mauritius Company Limited
IBM India Private Limited
Oravel Stays Private Limited (oyorooms.com)
Quikr India Private Limited
GE Power India Limited
Mahindra & Mahindra
eHomemaker Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.
Livspace Pte. Ltd.
Lakshmi Vilas Bank
CTR Manufacturing Ltd.
Pune Solapur Expressways Pvt. Ltd. (Joint Venture of Atlantia S.p.A and Tata Realty and Infrastructure Ltd.)
Brigade Enterprises Limited
AD2PRO Media Solutions Private Limited
Hunting Energy services- Asia Pacific
AD2PRO Global Creative Solutions Private Limited
- Advised and defended eHomemaker Solutions India and Livspace against a first information report filed by a furniture manufacturer alleging fraud, and acting for the client in a defamation action relating to these allegations.
- Advised and assisted Oravel Stays in seeking an injunction against the Hotelier Welfare Association to prevent its interference in the client’s business in New Delhi and other states.
- Advised and represented Nephrocare Health Services, India’s largest dialysis centre network, before the Andhra Pradesh High Court in a tender dispute.
Kachwaha & Partners frequently acts for clients, including major corporates, in enforcement proceedings relating to high-value arbitration awards, with particular expertise in the construction sector, as well as agriculture, infrastructure, healthcare and engineering. In addition, the group is experienced in defamation cases and tax disputes. Barrister and partner Dharmendra Rautray is very active in litigation and arbitration mandates; recently he successfully represented Soma Enterprise in proceedings before the High Court and Supreme Court of India stemming from disputes over the construction of 54 railway bridges in Gujarat. Sumeet Kachwaha has a strong reputation gained from his involvement in high profile and even landmark disputes over the course of his career, such as serving as amicus curiae in the bilateral investment treaty dispute between Vodafone and the Government of India in 2018. Ankit Khushu often represents clients in enforcement and challenge proceedings regarding arbitral awards.
Sumeet Kachwaha; Dharmendra Rautray; Ashok Sagar
Other key lawyers:
PICO Hong Kong
Universal Tractor LLC
Daelim Industrial Co.
- Advised and represented Anglo Coal Australia before the Delhi High Court in proceedings challenging a $100m award in the client’s favour.
- Advised and represented Universal Tractor Holding, a US-based company, in the Bharat Aluminium Company (BALCO) case before the Supreme Court of India, concerning the enforcement of an American Arbitration Association award rendered in the US against a major Indian corporate.
- Advised and represented the directors of Coloplast and its Indian subsidiary in a defamation case filed against them.
Keystone Partners' litigation group frequently advises large corporations and shareholders on winding-up and insolvency proceedings, and acts in numerous contractual, joint venture, intellectual property and real estate disputes across all of India's courts. The group has further expertise in constitutional matters before the Supreme Court: in a recent mandate, Pritha Srikuma Iyer represented a group of 20 LGBT students of the Indian Institutes of Technology in a public interest case challenging the constitutional validity of section 377 of the Indian Penal code, resulting in a landmark judgment striking down the provision insofar as it criminalises consensual sex between same-sex adults. Anupama Hebbar stands out for her expertise in sexual harassment cases, and has experience advising clients on ensuring compliance with the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.
Pradeep Nayak; Pritha Srikumar; Sita Kapadia
Raffles Design International India
GE Group of Companies
Navayuga Engineering Company
Shapoorji Pallonji Company
Vestas Wind Technology
Air Asia India
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
Kotak Mahindra Bank
Xiaomi Technology India
Urban Clap Technologies India
Alpine Housing Development
BMS Educational Trust
Pioneer Urban Land & Infrastructure
Shah Brothers Ispat
Fouress Engineering India
SM Kannappa Automobiles
Anchor Group of Companies
Foundation for Independent Journalism
Hughes Communications India
- Advised and represented Ricoh India in the voluntary corporate insolvency resolution process instituted before the NCLT.
- Advised and represented the official liquidator for Kingfisher Airlines (in liquidation) before the Bombay High Court.
- Advised and represented Malav Holdings before the Securities and Exchange Board of India in an inquiry into the diversion of funds of Religare Enterprises.
- Advised and represented Pioneer Urban Land & Infrastructure Ltd in proceedings before the Supreme Court of India, challenging the constitutional validity of certain provisions of the IBC.
- Advised and represented an investment fund in multiple litigations concerning the embezzlement of company funds by the promoters of the investee company.
Link Legal – India Law Services
Link Legal – India Law Services' litigation group has particular expertise in infrastructure, energy and construction mandates, where the team frequently acts in recovery proceedings, disputes with regulatory bodies and contractual disputes arising between parties involved in major development projects. The team also has notable expertise in handling price-fixing cases involving alleged cartels, particularly in the aviation space. Milanka Chaudhury, who represents clients in civil and corporate litigation throughout all courts in India, successfully acted for the members of the Independent Power Producers Association of India in a challenge to the RBI circular on the timeline for the resolution of stressed assets in the Supreme Court. Nusrat Hassan, who is qualified as a solicitor in India and the UK, advises marquee American, European and India businesses in commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings and investment deals in India. Atul Sharma represents clients in courts throughout India in civil and commercial cases including company law, labour law and competition law disputes.
Atul Sharma; Nusrat Hassan; Milanka Chaudhury
Hinduja National Power Finance Corporation
Delhi International Airport
Karam Chand Thapar & Bros
Emaar Properties PJSC
Emaar Hills Township
Navayuga Engineering Corporation
Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation
Delhi Aviation Fuel Facility
Acteon India Private
GMR Airports Limited and GMR Infrastructure Limited
National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project (NATRiP)
Soma Enterprises Limited
Power Finance Corporation
Punjab National Bank
BDO India LLP
IDBI Bank Limited
Scomi Engineering Sdn. Bhd
American Tower Corporation (ATC)
Axiom Cordages Limited
Reliance India Power Fund
NR Agarwal Industries Limited
China Light & Power (CLP Group) India
Central Bank of India
Majmudar & Partners
With notable expertise in the banking sector, Majmudar & Partners regularly advises lenders in recovery proceedings. The team is also active in the property and infrastructure space in contractual disputes and regulatory challenges. Practice head Neerav Merchant is currently representing Sabic UK Petrochemicals in a winding-up petition filed against Punj Lloyd before the Delhi High Court; the case involves several important points of law, including issues relating to the jurisdiction of the court pursuant to the newly enacted Commercial Courts Act.
Neerav Merchant; A.K. Hirani
MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India
SABIC UK Petrochemicals
Axis Bank Ltd.
Punjab National Bank
Lakeland Chemicals (India)
- Advised and represented Sabic UK Petrochemicals in a winding-up petition filed against Punj Lloyd before the Delhi High Court.
- Advised and represented MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India in a challenge to a regulation of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India which affects mobile number portability.
- Advised and represented Axis Bank on the enforcement of decrees passed by the High Court in summary suits.
- Advised and defended Punjab National Bank in proceedings brought against the bank to negate its action under the Sarfaesi Act to take possession of a secured asset.
- Advised and represented Punjab National Bank in proceedings for unpaid liability under consortium lending with the client as the lead bank.
Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary
Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary has an impressive track record of acting for financial creditors, including non-banking financial companies and banks, and borrowers in default in recovery proceedings and in the defence of encashment of bank guarantees. Beyond this work stream, the firm’s expertise encompasses constitutional, corporate and commercial litigation in courts and tribunals throughout the country. In a major mandate, Sunil Tilokchandani successfully defended ECL Finance against a claim intimated by Reliance Group following the client’s decision to sell its securities in the open market in the wake of Reliance filing for bankruptcy.
Vikram Trivedi; Sunil Tilokchandani; Sachin Chandarana; Faisal Sayyed; Mayur Bhojwani; Rashid Boatwalla
‘The firm has unique character of speedy pickup. With experienced team headed by senior most partner, for resolution of any critical dispute matter, the firm quickly becomes active to control and combat prevailing situation from legal and compliance point of view.’
Kotak Mahindra Investment
Larsen & Toubro
Members of Seawoods NRI Complex
The Eden Bungalows Cooperative
Housing Society Ltd
Standard Chartered Bank
Max Life Insurance Company
ICICI Lombard General Insurance
Dr. Balabhai Nanavati Hospital
L&T Housing Finance
IL&FS Financial Services
National Stock Exchange of India
Capri Global Advisory Services
- Advised and defended ECL Finance against a claim intimated by Reliance Group following the client’s decision to sell its securities in the open market in the wake of Reliance filing for bankruptcy.
- Advised and represented the investment arm of Kotak Mahindra Bank against Zee Entertainment Enterprises with respect to recovery of its loan facility of INR1.75bn secured against pledged shares of Zee Entertainment, DishTV and compulsory convertible debentures of Sprit Infrapower & Multiventures.
- Advised and represented Deutsche Bank in recovery proceedings against Parasrampuria Industries (in liquidation).
- Advised and represented L&T Limited and Malaysian company Scomi in a challenge to the invocation of a bank guarantee by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority after it terminated the clients’ contract for a major monorail project.
Nishith Desai Associates
Nishith Desai Associates' practice, which includes an internal advocacy unit, focuses on commercial litigation, white-collar crime, including corporate fraud, and economic offences, and insolvency proceedings across the pharmaceuticals, real estate, oil and gas, and aviation sectors. Partner Sahil Kanuga stands out for his track record of representing clients in investigations into improper conduct, whistleblowing and other company law breaches, in addition to his strength in civil and constitutional law.
Vyapak Desai; Sahil Kanuga; Moazzam Khan
Phoenix Legal’s 'resourceful' litigation practice has strength in complex competition law and economic crime mandates, including those concerning alleged cartel activity, in addition to a track record of handling corporate, civil and white-collar crime matters throughout India’s court circuit and notable expertise in debt recovery matters. The 'brilliant' Mrinal Ojha handles commercial disputes in a diverse range of sectors in India’s high courts and the Supreme Court, and has additional expertise in insurance disputes. Recently, he successfully represented a federation of 4 Indian airlines in a challenge to the order for the conversion of all vehicles at Delhi airport to run on compressed natural gas fuel.
Jyoti Singh; Mrinal Ojha; Trinath Tadakamalla; Abhishek Saxena; Saket Shukla; Manjula Chawla; Vasanth Rajasekaran; Debarshi Dutta
‘Mrinal Ojha handles pressure well and gets the work done within strict timelines.’
IFFCO Tokio General Insurance
Federation of Indian Airlines
Dakshin Bharat Gateway Terminal
ARG Outlier Media Asianet News
Pioneer India Electronic
Consortium of lenders of Gitanjali Gems Limited and Nakshatra World
In addition to its expertise in the enforcement of arbitration awards in the construction and infrastructure space, Singhania & Partners LLP handles a broad range of contractual disputes in sectors as diverse as telecoms, automobiles and real estate. Managing partner Ravi Singhania, whose clients include Indian subsidiaries of Fortune 500 companies and governmental bodies, stands out for his recent representation of the National Highways Authority of India in the Supreme Court in a dispute over a contract for a major construction project.
Ravi Singhania; Shilpa Shah; Vikas Goel; Shambhu Sharan; Madhu Sweta
‘The individuals in the firm are trained to work proficiently, to provide precise legal representation in commercial disputes and to align their litigation strategy to suit the client’s interests.‘
‘The firm adopts a proactive approach to understanding the core matters.‘
National Highway Authority of India
Sinosteel Equipment and Engineering Company
Simplot India Foods
PNC Delhi Industrialinfra
WSP Consultants India
State Bank of India
Sig Sauer India
Railtel Corporation of India
Abhyudaya Housing & Construction
Energy Infrastructures India
- Advised and represented an insolvency professional in a dispute with the operational creditor.
- Advised and represented Semac Consultants in a petition seeking an injunction against the client.
- Advised and represented PNC Delhi Industrialinfra in an arbitration relating to a concession agreement awarded by a government undertaking for the redevelopment of an industrial area.
- Advised and represented the State Bank of India in a case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002, relating to three properties mortgaged by the client.
Tuli & Co
Tuli & Co's pan-India dispute resolution practice has received a growing number of instructions from financial creditors in recovery proceedings over the past year. Beyond this, the group remains active in copyright proceedings, breach of contract claims and corporate disputes, with notable expertise in the insurance sector. Practice head Naval Sharma leads on the majority of the firm's high-value mandates; he is currently defending a client against a $15m copyright claim in an ongoing case in courts in Mumbai, Pune and Bengaluru.
Rajat Taimni; Neeraj Tuli; Naval Sharma
‘The team at Tuli & Co are very passionate and professional. They have experts in almost all legal practices, which makes them a one-stop shop for us.’
Venture Global Engineering LLC
L & T Financial Services Limited
Reliance Capital Limited
Louis Dreyfus Commodities Private Limited
TATA AIG General Insurance Company Limited
The New India Assurance Company Limited
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited
IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited
Raheja QBE General Insurance Company Limited
SABIC Asia Pacific Pte Limited
Renoir Management Consulting India Private Limited
- Advised and defended a German company in a series of proceedings arising out of claims initiated by various ex-employees of the company in respect of their unpaid entitlements.
- Advised and represented a Cyprus-based financial creditor in respect of a claim over compulsorily convertible debentures (and interest accrued thereon) against a company currently undergoing an insolvency resolution process.
- Advised and defended a client in a copyright claim brought against it and some of its senior officials by a competitor.
- Advised and defended a Korean life science experiment equipment manufacturer in a dispute with its Indian distributor and partner under a share subscription agreement.
Advaita Legal frequently represents clients in the energy and power sectors in regulatory disputes. The firm has further expertise in advising clients from a range of industries on contractual and tax-related disputes, often involving complex points of law. Shailendra Singh advises clients in courts and tribunals across India, most often in relation to breach of contract claims arising from infrastructure projects in the roads, ports, airports and power sectors.
- Advised and secured favourable judgments for GMR Power Corporation from the Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission and the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity in regulatory litigation.
- Advised and represented Disney Broadcasting India before the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal in Mumbai in a case relating to channel placement fees.
- Advised and represented Essar Power Transmission before the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity in a challenge to its inter-state transmission licence.
In addition to its experience in disputes arising from public sector undertakings and issues in the healthcare sector, Gagrats handles contentious competition, IP, corporate and commercial, and securities and taxation mandates. Practice head Rustam Gagrat remains a very active member of the team, having recently handled a broad range of disputes in the manufacturing, aviation, engineering, petrochemicals and IT sectors.
Rustam Gagrat; Ujjwal Rana; Krunal Gandhia; Ipshita Sen; Zeeshan Farooqui
Alok Industries Private Limited
Kirloskar Pneumatic Company Limited
Kirloskar Brothers Limited
Serum Institute of India
- Advised and represented an engineering company in copyright infringement suits.
- Advised and represented a public sector undertaking in disputes relating to commercial and residential premises.
- Advised an airline on a petition filed by the Indian Pilots’ Guild against several airlines and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation challenging certain proposed amendments to the period for giving notice for pilots.
- Advised a hospital in relation to properties situated at Byculla, Mumbai, and in disputes with the official trustee of the state of Maharashtra.
LexCounsel’s litigation practice frequently handles recovery proceedings and shareholder disputes before the NCLT, in addition to advising clients on filing writ petitions in sectors such as pharmaceuticals and managing property disputes, defamation claims, employment disputes and intellectual property matters. Practice head Alishan Naqvee recently represented Carlsberg India in a series of disputes with vendors and third parties, including matters before the Supreme Court, Odisha High Court and the NCLT.
‘The team has rich experience and is adept at providing accurate, timely and cost-effective advice, setting out clearly the technical and pragmatic options available.‘
Prem Nath Motors Group
ATNT Infrastructure Services
PME Power Solutions
CPA Global India
Fortune Park Moksha Hotel
Samvad Partners’ litigation expertise lies in competition law mandates, where it has acted on precedent-setting matters; the representation of financial and operational creditors, resolution professionals and corporate debtors in debt recovery proceedings; and intellectual property disputes. The group also stands out for its involvement in public interest litigation and representation of non-governmental organisations. Arjun Krishnan has acted in a number of landmark competition law disputes, including the recent case of Competition Commission of India v Bharti Airtel, which related to the telecoms industry.
Other key lawyers:
Association for Democratic Reforms
Axis Bank Limited
Competition Commission of India
Dell India Private Limited
Diageo Holdings Netherlands BV
Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction
J P Morgan India Services Private
Kasturi & Sons
QD Seatoman Designs
Tata International Singapore
- Advised and represented the Competition Commission of India in a case considering the client’s jurisdiction and authority in comparison to other regulators (in this case, specifically, India’s telecoms regulator) and the limits of their regulatory powers.
- Advised and represented the Competition Commission of India in a case concerning one of the first instances of investigation into resale price maintenance by the client.
- Advised and represented Yes Bank in a matter relating to the protection of its assets.
- Advised and represented the Association for Democratic Reforms in public interest litigation before the Karnataka High Court over gag orders obtained by a candidate in the Lok Sabha election against media houses in relation to alleged defamatory remarks made against the candidate.
- Advised and represented QD Seatoman Designs in the Madras High Court and in arguments before the arbitral tribunal in a case relating to the infringement of patented designs by a company in the Netherlands for which the client was manufacturing clothing.
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors has niche expertise in shipping disputes, where it acts for vessel owners, insurance companies and corporations invested in the sector in a broad range of maritime arbitration and litigation matters. Binita Hathi is known for her strength in negotiating settlements between parties for projects in relation to ports, dredging and shipping, and her expertise representing clients in the Supreme Court of India as an advocate on record.
‘Brus Chambers are knowledgeable in their areas of expertise, but also bring a very commercial aspect to the settling of disputes. They are a small team, so they are able to offer one-to-one partner accessibility to clients.’
RR & Co., Solicitors, UK
Pharung Shipyard Company
FSL New York
Andros Maritime Agencies
Kolkata Port Trust
Anjani Ship Suppliers
Asian Ship Suppliers
Gillanders Arbuthnot & Company
Gulf Oil Marine
Synergy Supply Chain Solutions
Aries Marine and Engineering Services
Mr. Adalarasan Ganpati
Durva Engineering Works
Om Shanti Marine Services
Mr. Ranjodh Singh
Mr. Syed Aftab Rizvi
Capt. Arun Nagpal
Captain Sunil Kumar Singh & 11 Ors
Navodaya Trading DMCC
Blue Sea Services
Norscot Rig Management
Winplus Energy Limited
Clasis Law’s dispute resolution group regularly acts for companies in debt recovery and winding-up proceedings under the IBC, and brings additional expertise in the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards, and in employment, insurance, trade mark and marine disputes. The group is also known for advising healthcare companies, and for its experience advising clients in relation to the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013. Shwetabh Sinha acts for clients in a range of matters, including shipping, insurance and insolvency proceedings, as an advocate, he is also registered as a solicitor (NP) with the Solicitors Regulation Authority, England and Wales.
Mustafa Motiwala; Shwetabh Sinha
International Trade Law Consultants has expertise in international trade and finance law, commercial disputes, and anti-arbitration injunctions.
New Delhi-based Karanjawala & Company has a disputes team which is recognised for its expertise in handling High Court and Supreme Court litigation.
MZM Legal, Advocates & Legal Consultants’ litigation group stands out for its experience in advising clients, usually major corporations, in white-collar crime matters involving corporate fraud and economic offences, and for its strength in acting for engineering, procurement and construction companies in contractual disputes. Another key area of expertise for the firm is insolvency proceedings, where it represents respondents and petitioners. Waseem Pangarkar specialises in securities fraud, contractual conflicts, consumer protection and matrimonial cases, and has a strong track record in arbitration mandates, particularly in relation to EPC projects and corporate disputes.
Waseem Pankarkar; Zulfiquar Memon
Skardin Industrial Corporation
Punj Lloyd Group
Naaptol Online Shopping Pvt Ltd
TV18 Network Pvt Ltd
Cinema 24 X 7 Pvt Ltd
Shop CJ Network Private Limited
United Phosphorous Limited
Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.
- Advised and represented Essar Shipping in proceedings pending before the Delhi High Court arising out of a dispute over an affreightment contract for the transport of cooking coal between the client and the Steel Authority of India.
- Advised and defended two Swedish Quinn Group corporations and representatives in a criminal investigation before the Economic Offences Wing and criminal litigation arising thereafter before the Delhi High Court.
- Advised and represented a client in a section 7 petition initiated by financial creditor under the IBC.
S&R Associates' litigation team has expertise in intellectual property mandates, IBC proceedings, contractual disputes, and matters before the Securities and Exchange Board of India relating to Takeover Code requirements and allegations of insider trading. Abhishek Tewari focuses on corporate and commercial litigation, regulatory proceedings and insolvency resolution cases.
Other key lawyers:
Glencore Hoffmann-La Roche/ Genentech Inc.
Cairn Energy PLC
Pure S.A./ Rocksource
Kesoram Industries Limited
Nine Rivers Capital
- Advised and represented McDonald’s in proceedings before the Supreme Court of India, the Delhi High Court, the NCLT, the NCLAT and the Debt Recovery Tribunal, and in LCIA arbitration proceedings.
- Advised officers of a multinational corporation in regulatory proceedings before the Enforcement Directorate under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999.
- Advised certain non-banking financial companies in a merger scheme before the NCLT benches at Mumbai and Kolkata.