The venture capital team at CMS demonstrates particular expertise in financing rounds, venture debt transactions and exits and regularly advises start-ups and investors, while also supporting companies with international expansion. The sizeable team comprehensively advises clients across numerous sectors. Tobias Schneider is a key contact for life sciences, transport and logistics and Malte Bruhns for technology and media. The partner appointments of Jessica Mohaupt-Schneider and Astrid Roesener in January 2022 strengthened the sector expertise in technology and financial services as well as industry, energy and services. At the same time, Christopher Freiherr von Lilien-Waldau, who advises clients across all investment phases, was also promoted to partner. Stefan-Ulrich Müller advises investors, technology companies and management teams on all relevant phases, from investment to exit, and jointly leads the team with Jörg Zätzsch, who is particularly well versed in exits.
Venture capital in Germany
Other key lawyers:
‘Many years of transaction experience available in the team, contacts throughout Europe for VC transactions, flexibility in reacting to transaction requirements.’
‘Very good accessibility, strong negotiator and solution-oriented.’
‘Pragmatic, fast and efficient. Well tuned for all topics. But always personable and purposeful.’
Cadence Growth Capital
EnBW New Ventures
Fuse Venture Partners
- Advising food start-up infarm on its $200 million Series D funding round from both existing and new investors.
- Advising the two investors Circularity Capital and coparion on the $330 million Series C financing round of the Berlin-based company Grover.
- Advising Fuse Venture Partners on investing in its partnership with Cherry Ventures in logistics solutions provider Forto’s $240 million Series C financing round.
Noerr offers an impressive track record in supporting growth capital companies and investors; a client base that is supported in financing rounds, restructurings, buy-outs and exits as well as in mid and large-cap transactions, particularly in the digital, healthcare and technology sectors. This offering is based on cross-practice cooperation, including interfacing regulatory, digital business, data protection and tax matters, as well as cross-border capacities thanks to a network of best friends firms. The team is jointly led by Georg Christoph Schneider and Christian Pleister. Laurenz Tholen, an expert in restructuring and cross-border transactions, made partner in January 2022. In the same month, Florian Sippel (comprehensive support on the entire investment cycle) joined from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer as associated partner.
Osborne Clarke is among the leading German venture capital practices and offers clients, which include German and international investors, as well as founders and companies comprehensive advice on all areas of VC financing thanks to a cross-practice and cross-locational approach; the team is particularly well versed in later stage-financing rounds and exit strategy-related direct M&A deals. Key member Robin Eyben advises technology and transformation-driven investors, founders and companies. Nicolas Gabrysch heads the team and comprehensively advises venture capital funds and companies in Europe and the US on cross-border growth financing and M&A.
‘Very good expertise, great response times.’
‘Very dedicated, always available at short notice in urgent matters and very fast response times.’
‘A true partner of our company since our foundation and several financing rounds with international VCs. The collaboration and our relationship are informal.’
Fidelity Strategic Ventures Limited
Keen Venture Partners
Warburg Pincus und Hollyport Capital
- Advising Warburg Pincus and Hollyport Capital on McMakler’s mid double-digit million Series D financing round.
- Advising DoorDash as the lead investor in Flink’s funding round, which raised a total of $750 million.
- Advice to N26 in a recent financing round with investors Third Point, Coatue and Dragoneer, among others, for approx. €700 million based on a valuation of approx. €8 billion.
Taylor Wessing primarily advises investors, including well-known international venture capital funds, as well as companies on the entire life cycle of an investment. A strategic focus is on the technology sector, in particular on digital health, fintech and foodtech. Due to the cooperation with a US law firm and the close cooperation with the M&A team, clients also benefit from the team’s support in large-volume cross-border transactions. This approach is also reflected at practice head level: Klaus Grossmann heads both the VC and M&A group and jointly heads the former with Jens Wolf (predominantly advice to venture capital companies and technology-oriented companies) and Norman Röchert (main focus on venture capital and M&A transactions in the technology and media sector).
‘Absolutely outstanding networking within the VC scene in Germany, outstanding quality of advice on any form of financing growth companies and on all other topics of the VC life cycle.’
‘Dr. Jens Wolf: Extraordinary experience, very good, pragmatic sense of economic aspects, sensational commitment to the client, availability at all times and flexibility in fee negotiations.’
‘Very experienced team. Offers an efficient service.’
Intel Capital / Intel Deutschland
Visionaries Club Seed Fund und Visionaries Club Growth Fund
- Advising Flink SE on a $240 million Series A financing round and a $750 million Series B financing.
- Advising Accel, Founders Fund, Creandum and Project A on a $900 million Series C financing round in Trade Republic Bank GmbH.
- Advising OMERS Ventures on a $650 million Series C funding round for Wefox.
Vogel Heerma Waitz
Vogel Heerma Waitz places a strong focus on the technology sector as well as the areas venture, expansion and growth capital and advises both start-ups and investors. In this regard, the team has recently increasingly assisted with M&A transactions as part of buy-and-build strategies and for financing rounds. This specialised expertise is based on the close cooperation with the IP and tech experts, which expanded in 2020/2021 and is headed by Jan Heerma. Other key members are Frank Vogel (focus on growth and venture capital, corporate acquisitions and sales) and Clemens Waitz (expertise in advising technology companies on all relevant matters). In January 2022, Simon Pfefferle, who specialises in venture and growth financing, made partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive in communication.’
‘The team is very good at returning checked and processed documents and contracts in a timely manner.’
‘Extremely good market knowledge and economic understanding.’
Gorillas Technologies GmbH
Global Savings Group GmbH
Sport Alliance GmbH
LIQID Investments GmbH
YPOG‘s venture capital and private equity practice, headed by Martin Schaper, is among the leading addresses in German-speaking regions and advises on transactions, fund structuring, co-investments and financing rounds. The team is regularly instructed by large national and international investors, companies, management teams and founders, which are primarily from the fintech, insurtech, proptech, digital health, mobility, software and other regulated industries. Benedikt Flöter covers the interface to IP, IT and data protection, while Benjamin Ullrich is a proven expert for M&A and VC transactions, corporate compliance and corporate law. Adrian Haase is a key contact for growth-oriented companies, especially in the Hamburg area.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stephan Bank gave us excellent advice and was great to work with. He is always well informed and very easy to contact for any questions.’
MXP Prime Partners / Seller X
Leaps by Bayer
Insight Partners & Atomico
- Advising Delivery Hero SE on its $235 million investment in the Berlin Unicorn Gorillas.
- Advising SellerX on its $500 million Series B funding round.
- Advising Moss on its €75 million Series B financing round with New York-based lead investor Tiger Global.
Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s venture capital team routinely advises founding teams, financial investors, venture capitalists and start-ups on the entire business lifecycle. Due to the integration into the firm’s global network, the team advises on cross-border matters such as internationalisation, buy-and-build strategies and asset-based lending financing; Dietmar Helms is the key contact for the latter. The team is led by Matthias Jaletzke, who is one of the leading German private equity and M&A experts. The group welcomed cross-border transaction specialist Christoph Naumann (formerly at Watson Farley & Williams LLP) in December 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Niko Zirngibl thinks very commercially; very good market overview in the VC area, very accessible personal contact.’
Vytal Global GmbH
- Advising FlixMobility on a $650 million financing round.
- Advising HR software provider Personio on a $270 million financing round. The Munich company thus became the second most valuable German start-up with a valuation of more than $6 billion.
- Advice to Goldman Sachs on Xempu’s $70 million Series D financing round.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP advises German and international VCs, corporates and start-ups on a wide array of venture capital issues, including financing rounds, add-on acquisitions, exits and IPOs. The close cooperation with US colleagues also benefits clients in international transactions, with Jörg Ritter, who mainly covers matters pertaining to software and life sciences, and practice head Sven Greulich among the key contacts here. The team underwent some recent changes: Christoph Rödter (focus on technology and life sciences) was appointed partner in January 2022 and Damien Simonot (focus on corporate transactions in the tech sector) joined from Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in July 2022.
‘Very good experience in start-up, venture capital.’
‘Sven Greulich is very experienced in venture capital. Very practical and cost-conscious handling.’
BMW i Ventures
Energy Impact Partners
Gruppe Deutsche Börse
RSBG SE (RAG-Stiftung)
- Advising Coatue on the co-lead investments in Gorillas’ $1 billion Series C and N26’s $900 million Series E.
- Advising Energy Impact Partners on their lead investments in Grover’s $330 million Series C and Zolar’s €100 million Series C.
- Advising DasLab on the $7.1 million seed financing.
POELLATH advises venture capital companies, funds, institutional and strategic investors, growth companies and business angels on all VC issues, with particular expertise in financing rounds, exit transactions and tax planning. The team mainly focuses on the sectors fintech, insurtech, e-commerce, mobility, healthcare and medtech, internet, biotech, nanotechnology and telecoms. Sebastian Gerlinger 's expertise is in line with this orientation; he frequently takes the lead in financings, acquisitions and exits. The team is led by Michael Inhester, who is particularly experienced in transactions, and Christian Tönies, who comprehensively covers the VC arena.
‘Respectful cooperation at eye level, fast response time, high level of technical expertise, pragmatic and solution-oriented working methods, open communication.’
‘Christian Tönies: High technical expertise.’
‘Christian Tönies: Excellent communicator.’
The Football Company
Mangrove Capital Partners
ABN AMRO Ventures
- Advising Solarisbank AG on the financing round of over €190 million and the takeover of Contis.
- Advice to Porsche Automobil Holding SE on the investment in Isar Aerospace.
- Advising The Football Company on a seed financing round; the first consultation in the Metaverse area, where digital tokens representing analogue goods from the world of football as 3D objects could be purchased on the Football Company’s website, and with which users could equip their avatars.
Raue advises investors, companies and start-ups and has particular experience in the sectors media, telecoms, financial services and energy. The team frequently cooperates with the regulatory, corporate, employment and company law teams across practices. Michael Gläsner also covers these interfaces, which, in addition to his experience in private equity and venture capital, also includes expertise in corporate and M&A. Andreas Nelle heads the team and handles corporate law matters in transactions.
‘Great collaboration between the different departments, easy accessibility.’
‘Andreas Nelle and Michael Gläsner: Deal-oriented, focused, down-to-earth.’
‘Dr. Jörg Jaecks: Extremely good industry knowledge, creative problem solver, very effective.’
‘Even as a small client, we feel that we are treated on an absolutely equal footing with other clients. Always quick consultations at partner level possible.’
‘Jörg Jaecks shines with extensive expertise and tremendous speed. He has an overall view of the timing of a round of financing and ensures that all stakeholders, including the client, provide their input in good time in order to successfully complete the financing.’
‘Always think entrepreneurially. I just have to explain what I want, never how.’
Berlin Brands Group
Tomorrow’s Education GmbH
Tau ACT GmbH
Signals Invest GmbH
Gesellschafter der Labiotech UG
MeinWunschcatering GmbH (MyMy)
- Advising Volocopter GmbH on its Series E financing round; €170 million was raised in the first closing.
- Joint advice with a Swedish law firm to Prima Materia on a €100 million investment in the Munich AI start-up Helsing.
- Advising the EdTech start-up, which operates an online study platform, on its second round of financing. The round is led by Mediahuis Ventures, the venture capital firm of European media group Mediahuis. Other investors include the UK’s leading education fund Emerge Education and angel investors such as Verena Pausder, Celine Flores Willers and Kai Roemmelt.
BMH BRÄUTIGAM primarily focuses on advising founders and start-ups, which are supported across the whole life cycle of VC matters, whereas venture capital funds were also recently among the client roster. Alexander Wulff is a key contact for financing rounds and transactions, while Patrick Auerbach covers notarial issues and Bastian Reinschmidt assists with corporate law disputes in addition to VC, M&A and corporate issues.
‘Very diverse and innovative team, extremely pragmatic and precise legal advice, good understanding of numbers.’
‘Patrick Auerbach: Super VC lawyer.’
‘Dr. Alexander Wulff is highly recommended. Super helpful coaching for founders to negotiate deals with VCs from start to finish.’
APIC (vormals SIGNA Innovations)
Audience Serv Gruppe
BERLINER VOLKSBANK VENTURES
Everstore Technologies (vormals Casstore)
Munich Re Ventures
MXP / SellerX
Pirate Impact Capital
- Accompanying Habyt on its international expansion course and advising on all corporate law matters such as structuring and acquisitions; most recently advice on the takeover of Hmlet, Quarters and homefully including financing.
- Advising Berlin freight start-up Forto on a $240 million financing round (Series C), making Forto the next German unicorn with a valuation of $1.2 billion, and the subsequent $250 million financing round (Series D).
- Advising Earlybird Venture Capital as lead investor on the €23 million Series A funding round of AI research and applications start-up Aleph Alpha.
LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB advises investors and start-ups and is particularly experienced in financing and transaction support, including cross-border issues, where the team frequently cooperates across locations and practices. High-volume financing rounds are regularly accompanied by Marco Eickmann, who is a key member of the team led by Bernhard Noreisch. Noreisch is well versed in advising investors and in supporting exit transactions and M&A projects. In January 2022, VC and M&A expert Jan-Phillip Kunz made partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Super fast, top quality, often praised by the other side.’
‘Dr. Marco Eickmann and Philipp Hoene are outstanding.’
‘Responsive, close to the market, great competence; cost conscious.’
‘Dr. Marco Eickmann and Philipp Hoene: Pragmatic, fast, accurate and great expertise.’
‘Partnership, professionally very qualified, right tone & communication. Also cost conscious, and all in all really interested in leading the client to success.’
‘Marco Eickmann is an excellent partner, both in terms of process and project management and in terms of content.’
‘Björn Weidehaas has an excellent understanding of how to combine outstanding technical/legal expertise with pragmatism and economic and factual appropriateness for the respective purpose.’
‘Dr. Bernhard Noreisch is top professional, very experienced, goal-oriented, valued by clients and the other side alike, excellent in negotiation situations, top lawyer.’
Alphapet Ventures GmbH
B.S. Holding GmbH
BayBG Bayerische Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH
besser Zuhause GmbH
BonVenture III GmbH & Co. KG und Social Venture Fund II GmbH & Co. KG
Caesar Business Angels GmbH
EIT Health e.V.
Electric Mobility Concepts GmbH
FL Fintech E GmbH / Clark
Gesellschafter der Hemovent GmbH
Good Harvest Ventures Management S.à.r.l
GWA Hygiene GmbH
heal.capital I GmbH & Co.KG
Hope Tree International GmbH
HV Capital Immomio GmbH
Just Spices GmbH
LENA Nachhaltigkeits GmbH
mk2 Biotechnologies GmbH
Molten Ventures PLC
MOMENI Digital Ventures GmbH
Mücke Roth & Company und Mücke Ventures
Next Level Coffee GmbH
one logic GmbH
OneProjects Design Innovation GmbH
Paul Wurth GmbH
Penta Fintech Holding GmbH
PHOENIX Contact Group
Price f(x) AG
PRIEMER CONSULTING AND INVEST UG
Samsung Oak Holdings, Inc.
SCOOPER Energy GmbH
SEON Holding GmbH
Singular Capital Partners
Sira Projekte GmbH
Stryber Ventures GmbH
The Stryze Group Holding GmbH
- Advice to Vitafy GmbH, a Munich-based e-commerce company in the field of nutrition and fitness, on the merger with the Eurovital Group (EVP) with Capiton as the main investor.
- Advising Electric Mobility Concepts GmbH on the merger with GoTo Mobility, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Advising the shareholders of Hemovent GmbH, a developer and manufacturer of ECLS systems for intensive care medicine, on the sale of all shares to MicroPort Surgical BV (exit proceeds up to €123 million).
PXR Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
PXR Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH was founded in mid-2020 and specialises in advising venture capital and private equity investors as well as new technology companies, which frequently stem from the software, internet, fintech and digital media industries. The group advises on financing rounds and transactions as well as employment, IT, data protection and IP law; tax matters are covered by the firm's tax consultants. Founder and practice head Peter Möllmann (former founding member of YPOG ) is particularly experienced in VC matters and acts for numerous technology companies and investors in VC and M&A transactions.
Bird & Bird LLP focuses on technology-related matters and predominantly advises companies, including start-ups, in the context of digital innovations. The team, led by Hans Peter Leube, maintains long-term relationships with its client base, which recently expanded with new additions. Transaction support, including joint ventures, and financing advice are among the core areas as well as early-stage advice and the implementation of due diligence processes.
Columbia Lake Partners
IGP Investments II
Kinexon Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH
New York Society for the Relief of the Ruptured and Crippled, Maintaining the Hospital for Special Surgery
Ranpak Holdings Corp.
Silicon Valley Bank (SVB)
- Ongoing advice to Kreos Capital on investments in various German portfolio companies.
- Advising the German branch Silicon Valley Bank on venture loan financing in German scale-up companies.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB primarily advises clients from the technology and energy industries, particularly on medium to large financing rounds; here, the team in Munich frequently takes the lead. Start-ups are also supported in all other matters, including transactions and exits, where Berlin-based Christopher Wright is the key contact. Corporate law expert and practice head Bernt Paudtke acts from Munich.
Other key lawyers:
CR Urban Living GmbH (neworld)
Made of Air GmbH
MIG Capital AG
Penta Fintech GmbH
SBR Unternehmens-beratung UG / Princess Stardust GmbH
- Advising MIG Capital AG on an investment in iOmx Therapeutics AG.
- Advising the energy and technology company NexWafe GmbH on a €39 million Series C financing round with a €25 million investment in the first phase with Reliance New Energy Solar Ltd, a 100% subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (India), as the main strategic investor.
- Advising the IoT company ifesca GmbH on a financing round of around €7.2 million.
Integrated into the global network, Greenberg Traurig Germany advises venture capital clients on buy-outs, equity investments, rounds of financing, restructuring and exits, including relevant cross-border issues. The team is well versed in technology-related sectors as well as the renewable energy and automotive segments. Henrik Armah and Peter Schorling advise on all corporate and transformation law matters and jointly head the team. The capacities in private equity and M&A were strengthened with the partner appointments of Oliver Markmann and Philipp Osteroth in January 2022.
‘Good communication, highly goal- and result-oriented action.’
‘High negotiation skills, good management and overview of complex issues.’
Obvious Ventures II LP
VC Worldwide (NVIDIA)
- Advice to T. Rowe Price and Durable Capital Partners in connection with a $1 billion Series D financing round at software developer Celonis SE.
- Advising Obvious Ventures on their VC investment in Lilium GmbH, which specializes in vertical take-off aviation, including ongoing advice.
- Advising Owl Ventures on two Series A financings in the EdTech companies Morressier and Study Smarter.
GSK Stockmann recently added new clients to its roster, which primarily stem from the technology sector (crypto, fintech, insuretech, proptech), which is not least due to the close cooperation with the office in Luxembourg. In addition to technology, the practice, headed by Katy Ritzmann and Thomas Derlin, also advises clients from the mobility sector, including numerous investors and start-ups. In December 2021, fund and PE expert Marcel Bartnik joined Bonn & Schmitt, whereas tax law specialist Heiko Stoll joined Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner.
‘The most enterprising German lawyers we have had the pleasure of working with.’
‘They are smart, creative and committed.’
‘Katy Ritzmann is an incredibly creative, extremely knowledgeable and dedicated partner.’
Alloy Software GmbH
Companisto GmbH / Companisto Holding GmbH
coparion GmbH & Co. KG
Earlybird UNI-X Management GmbH & Co. KG
Cropt UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
GetHalal UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
MVPF Technologies GmbH c/o Philipp Petrescu
MVPF Technologies GmbH c/o Philipp Petrescu
Unstoppable Finance GmbH
- Advising the Branded Group on a reorganization of its group structure, several financing measures and the establishment of a global employee participation program involving seven jurisdictions.
- Advising the investor Princeville Capital, which is involved in the Berlin travel start-up HomeToGo, on the merger with Lakestar SPAC.
- Lead Counsel for Target Global on a $650 million funding round into InsurTech Wefox.
Hengeler Mueller advises venture capital investors on financing rounds and transactions, with a sector focus on regulated industries such as finance, energy, healthcare and insurance. The transaction support increasingly pertains to technology, where the team assists with investments in cloud solution providers, among others. Christian Schwandtner (M&A, joint ventures and co-investments) and Jens Wenzel (corporate law and financing issues) are among the key contacts.
Jones Day 's venture capital team, led by Ansgar Rempp and Ivo Posluschny, offers in-depth expertise in advising investors and start-ups on financing rounds and transactions. The practice, which cooperates closely with locations in various other jurisdictions, recently increased its support for Chinese-related transactions as well as the activity in promising topics such as high-tech, internet, fintech, medtech, the environment and renewable energies.
Aurelius Equity Opportunities
EMERAM Capital Partners
Hi Inov/VI Partners
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA)
PTTGC Group (PTT Global Chemical)
The Riverside Company
- Advising SevenVentures, the investment arm of ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE, on the investment in Grover, the market leader for subscription rentals of entertainment electronics.
- Advising Celonis SE on the Series D financing round with a total volume of over $1.2 billion.
- Advice to Riverside and its portfolio company Arrowhead on the sale of Arrowhead to Genstar Capital.
Lambsdorff Rechtsanwälte focuses on the technology sector and advises both companies and investors. Clients benefit from the cooperation with the IT practice as well as IT-based automation in the provision of contract templates. Pablo Rüdiger S. de Erice specialises in international financing rounds and jointly heads the group with tax expert Konstantin Graf Lambsdorff.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was really personally involved around the clock and supported us in our first round of investors and in partner agreements. In doing so, they did not let up in drafting the contracts optimally for us and also actively supported us in the negotiations.’
‘The stamina and attention to detail were impressive.’
‘Louis Meyer was consistently at my side in every phase, immediately understood the goals of the respective partnerships and really optimally designed the contract negotiations and content for us.’
LUCA App culture4life GmbH
Blinks Labs GmbH
Instana Inc. USA
E.ON Future Energy Ventures
EWE AG / Venture Capital
Legal Hero GmbH
Datadog Inc. USA
PONS GmbH (Klett Gruppe)
BODYCLOCK Technologies GmbH
Berlin Sports Solutions GmbH
Thilo von Selchow (Business Angel)
- Advising the growth company felmo on rounds of financing, structuring under corporate law, on IP and data protection as well as on the drafting and negotiation of contracts of all kinds.
- Advising the growth company SimScale on rounds of financing, corporate structuring and the drafting and negotiation of various types of German and international contracts.
- Advising the growth company that operates the LUCA app on financing rounds, corporate structuring, on data protection and freedom of speech issues as well as on the drafting and negotiation of contracts of all kinds, most recently as part of a comprehensive restructuring in combination with a financing round.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH acts on behalf of both founders and (increasingly foreign) investors. The full-service advice to start-ups covers all sectors, with a focus on technology. The team acts from several German locations and is headed by Stefan Galla (commercial and corporate law), while Thomas Kuhnle is well versed in transactions and Andreas Tüxen covers venture capital matters. Philipp Glock, who made partner in July 2021, advises funds, family offices and business angels on investment issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good cross-practice networking.’
‘Contact person always available and competent knowledge in all subject areas.’
‘Andreas Tüxen is characterized by his individual competence as a notary and lawyer for corporate law, especially in the start-up environment and PE/VC.’
‘Extremely diverse, can do everything, are very competent and very fast.’
‘Great advice, always available, immediate response, first class work.’
‘Andreas Tüxen did a great job in the transaction with me.’
Biosaxony Management GmbH
Brandenburg Kapital GmbH
Kismet Capital Group
Koolen Industries B.V
Wechselgott (Vertragswechselservice GmbH)
PLAZA Digital Communication & Innovation GmbH
Easy Tutor GmbH
Vealo Ventures GmbH
Capnamic Ventures Management GmbH
Seedbox Ventures GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to Brandenburg Kapital GmbH, including on the investment in Veganz Group AG, a company that develops and sells vegan food, as well as on seed financing for the agricultural start-up agrimand GmbH, the coffee capsule manufacturer Unicaps GmbH and the smart services provider Solandeo GmbH.
- Advising Staffbase GmbH, the world’s leading provider of a digital platform and app for employee communication, on a €106 million series e-financing round led by General Atlantic.
- Comprehensive advice to the Munich EdTech start-up StudySmarter on the implementation of Series A and Series A+ with the participation of Owl Ventures, Left Lane and Goodwater Capital.
Integrated into the global network, White & Case LLP specialises in private equity and is also increasingly active in the VC arena. This is reflected in international mandates and instructions from financial institutions, companies and investors. In the fast growth area and the technology sector, practice head Stefan Koch and his team primarily assist with transactions. In January 2022, Sebastian Pitz (financing rounds, especially in the fintech sector) was appointed partner and Marco Stephan (M&A, corporate law) was appointed local partner.
‘The team is extremely responsive, you can call them practically any time of the day or night and you always get competent and quick answers.’
‘Cooperation with the other departments of the law firm takes place via the VC/PE team, which ensures that the other departments also provide timely feedback on any questions.’
‘Sebastian Pitz: Very humorous, very pleasant to deal with, very responsive and competent.’
Softbank Vision Fund, Mubadala
- Advising SoftBank Vision Fund II and Mubadala Capital as lead investors on the $200 million Series D financing round of TIER Mobility, Europe’s leading micromobility provider.
- Advising wefox Holding AG, a Europe-wide platform for digital insurance business and insurance distribution, on the preparation, execution and closing of the $650 million Series C financing.
- Advising the open banking platform provider Tink on the takeover of FinTecSystems (FTS).
Frankfurt-based Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is a popular advisor to US venture capital clients, thanks to its close cooperation with the US offices. Under the leadership of Georg Linde, the team regularly assists with transactions and financing rounds. These competencies were further strengthened with the partner appointments of Michael Ilter (PE, M&A) and Miriam Steets (PE, VC, M&A) in January 2022.
‘Very professional, closing was on time.’
‘Miriam Steets was very good and inclusive throughout the negotiations.’
‘Great competence and unique determination, very committed and always likeable.’
‘Pragmatism, sense of proportion, expertise, pleasant.’
‘Miriam Steets manages to combine outstanding expertise without unnecessary lawyer’s elbows.’
Aquiline Capital Partners
Full In Partners
- Advising a consortium of investors consisting of Apax Partners, Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners, Summit Partners, GP Bullhound and the Founders on the sale of Signavio to the listed software giant SAP SE.
- Advising a consortium consisting of the founders and all shareholders of BusyLamp regarding the sale to Onit.
- Advising Insight Partners on a Series A investment in Leapsome GmbH.