Bär & Karrer Ltd. showcases deep experience in a variety of real estate transactions, including asset transfers, share deals, portfolio management and capital market transactions. Another area of specialisation is advising on the reorganisation of real estate holdings, including providing relevant tax assistance. Practice head Corrado Rampini is a well-established practitioner in real estate, who, like Ralph Malacrida, also acts for borrowers and lenders in real estate portfolio financings. Massimo Vanotti is the name to note in Lugano. Lukas Roesler also adds financing experience to the team. Senior associate Charles Gschwind left in September 2020
Real estate and construction in Switzerland
Other key lawyers:
Ralph Malacrida; Massimo Vanotti; Lukas Roesler; Daniel Bader
‘The team has extensive know-how and experience in the real estate sector.’
‘The key people of the law firm can quickly identify the important points in a deal and also in the contract execution.’
‘Corrado Rampini does a successful and very good job.’
PSP Swiss Property
Swiss Prime Site
- Advised Migros-Genossenschafts-Bund on the sale of shopping centre Glatt to Swiss Life’s third-party asset management division.
- Assisted Priora Suisse with the sale of a total of 36 properties, located within or directly adjacent to the airport perimeter, to Flughafen Zürich.
- Advised Implenia on the completion of the spin-off of Ina Invest Holding; the shares of Ina Invest Holding were, after a rights offering in connection with a capital increase raising gross proceeds of CHF 116m, listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Baker McKenzie impresses with a strong transactional real estate practice, which covers sales, purchases, private equity deals, funds-related matters and development projects. Its clients include construction companies and developers, Swiss and International investors as well as foreign corporates, and the team is particularly active in transactions in the hotel space. Martin Furrer, Alexander Wyss and Samuel Marbacher each combine real estate and corporate expertise. They lead the team together with Geneva-based Olivier Ducrey and senior associate Charles Gschwind, who joined in September 2020 from Bär & Karrer Ltd.
Martin Furrer; Alexander Wyss; Samuel Marbacher; Olivier Ducrey; Charles Gschwind
‘Well-organized and forward-thinking team.’
‘The project team is always available and responds very fast to any questions coming up.’
‘Samuel Marbacher and Martin Furrer are extremely responsive and very innovative in providing solutions for complex issues.’
‘Forward-looking approach and support in all kind of real estate business.’
- Advised BrickMark on the purchase of a commercial building on Zurich’s prestigious Bahnhofstrasse in a transaction that qualified as the largest ever real estate purchase using tokens.
- Advised Swiss Life and European funds managed by Swiss Life on the acquisition of Switzerland’s largest shopping center “Glattzentrum” from Migros.
- Advised CSL Limited on its strategic partnership with Thermo Fisher Scientific in connection with a long-term triple-net lease agreement of a biologics manufacturing facility in Lengnau near Berne.
The team at CMS is noted for being 'pragmatic and solution oriented'; it is predominantly instructed by institutional investors to handle the acquisition, financing and sale of properties, including in cross-border matters, where the firm benefits from its extensive international office network. It often advises on developments in the shopping mall, office and residential areas and has particular expertise in hotel and leisure property transactions. Those are also the specialities of Stefan Gerster. He and the Geneva-based Olivier Carrard jointly lead the practice. Sibylle Schnyder brings particular expertise in landlord and tenancy law.
Stefan Gerster; Olivier Carrard
Other key lawyers:
Sibylle Schnyder; Thomas Zweifel
‘Broad knowledge in the real estate sector, pragmatic and solution-oriented, good availability, pleasant and trusting cooperation.’
‘Very professional and pragmatic team.’
‘Longstanding cooperation with the good, stable and experienced real estate team.’
‘Stefan Gerster: Deal oriented; Sybille Schnyder: Excellent Understanding of RE Business; Stefan Gersbach: very professional.’
Swiss Prime Investment Foundation
Swiss Prime Site Immobilien Ltd.
Credit Suisse Asset Management (Schweiz) Ltd.
Global IT Company
Allianz Suisse Real Estate Inc
- Advised ACRON on the sale of a large office building in Zurich.
- Advised Credit Suisse regarding the sale of hotel portfolio in the Swiss Alps to a listed company.
- Advised a private real estate investor regarding the sale of a prime commercial property in Munich.
The strong real estate team at Lenz & Staehelin maintains a broad practice in terms of both areas of practice and clients; it is instructed by developers, contractors, institutional investors and public authorities, among others, to advise on real estate, construction and infrastructure matters. Under the lead of Cécile Berger Meyer, the Geneva team assists clients, including private individuals, with civil and administrative matters. She leads the practice jointly with Beat Kühni, who draws on over 20 years of experience in the field. Other key individuals are transaction specialist Andreas Rötheli in Geneva and associate Fabiano Menghini.
Beat Kühni; Cécile Berger Meyer
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Rötheli; Fabiano Menghini; Giulia Neri-Castracane
‘The real estate team is extremely competent, reactive and efficient, and we have always collaborated very well on the files we have handled together.’
‘Cécile Berger Meyer shows great competence, meticulousness, and innovation, which makes her one of the best in her field of activity.’
‘The main strengths are the management of imposed deadlines, perfect availability, as well as the ability to handle files in a completely confidential manner. Whatever the field covered, the verification is always accurate and complete.’
‘Cécile Berger has surrounded herself with a competent, reactive, but also human team allowing confidence.’
‘Reactivity, pragmatism, good human relation, professionalism.’
‘Fabiano Menghini is not only very responsive and has a high industry competence, he also makes our work a lot easier and absolutely understands when to raise topics and when to just make the deal happen.’
‘Very good team offering a unique tailor-made service which is essential in the real estate environment.’
‘Dedicated, loyal, smart and finds solutions.’
Swiss Prime Site
TAG Aviation Group
- Handled the pre-transactional restructuring of Salt’s Swiss passive mobile infrastructure through a merger and a subsequent spin-off in Switzerland entailing numerous real estate and transactional aspects.
- Advised Lorenza on the acquisition of production facilities for its pharmaceuticals and biotech business.
- Advised Baloise on the acquisition of the entire Klybeck site and buildings from Novartis and its subsequent joining of forces with BASF and the Canto of Basel-Stadt to transform the Klybeck site from an industrial site into an urban district.
MLL Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Froriep Ltd entered the market following a merger between Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Ltd and Froriep. The team provides a 'first class service, with a highly experienced, solution-oriented and efficient team'. It is regularly involved in high-volume transactions, advising institutional and private equity investors on acquisitions and financing. Other areas of expertise include rental law, a topic which has been particularly relevant during the Covid-19 pandemic, as well as dispute resolution. Wolfgang Müller is experienced in advising foreign investors on sales and acquisitions; he jointly leads the practice with Philippe Prost in Geneva, who is strong in construction project mandates. Cosima Trabichet-Castan, also in the Geneva office, made partner in January 2020, and is noted, as is rental law specialist Walter Häberling. Other names to note from legacy Froriep are Isabelle Romy, Catrina Luchsinger, counsel Benjamin Dürig and associate Romina Brogini.
Wolfgang Müller; Philippe Prost
Other key lawyers:
Cosima Trabichet-Castan; Walter Häberling; Cosima Trabichet-Castan; Walter Häberling; Isabelle Romy; Catrina Luchsinger; Benjamin Dürig; Romina Brogini
‘The real estate team of MLL is available on short term to give adequate and practical advice on all matters in respect of purchase and sale processes, sale and purchase agreements, leases and especially in these times corona matters.’
‘Wolfgang Müller is a very competent lawyer who is giving his best to reach a practical solution for his clients needs without discussing theoretical risks to gain more billing hours. Therefore, he responds to emails or calls very quickly.’
‘Cosima Trabichet-Castan is very easy to work with and responsive. She is very resourceful and provides practical and clear solutions.’
‘This law firm has a wide range of specialists in the vast field of real estate economics. It thus has the capacity to provide us with the best skills.’
‘Wolfgang Müller is highly committed on deals, pragmatic (in a positive way), experienced, and has a fast reaction time.’
‘Philippe Prost is appreciated for his receptiveness to his client’s needs and his pragmatic and no-nonsense approach to trying to solve our legal challenges.’
‘MLL offers a first class service, with an highly experienced, solution oriented and efficient team, who understands the needs and trends of the industry. The team is prepared to stand by its advice and works in a dedicated manner to a successful outcome. Available and accessible at all times. Renders legal advice that takes commercial and economic aspects into consideration. Good value for money in comparison to other firms.’
‘They gave us a really good advice and helped us not to go into unnecessary legal proceedings.’
Allianz Suisse Immobilien AG
Allreal Holding AG
Calida Holding AG
Meyer Burger Technology AG
poenina holding ag
Sunrise (Sunrise Communications AG)
Swiss Life AG
Züblin Immobilien AG
- Advised Swiss Life on the acquisition of a real estate portfolio comprising 26 real properties in four cantons for a purchase price of CHF360.3m.
- Advised Sunrise Communications with respect to real estate and infrastructure in the signing of a binding agreement to acquire UPC Switzerland GmbH for an enterprise value of CHF6.3bn.
- Advised NASDAQ-listed company Masimo Corporation on its acquisition of a new business facility for its Swiss subsidiary in Neuchâtel.
The members of Niederer Kraft Frey AG act as trusted advisors for Swiss and foreign investors, for which the team handles the acquisition, development, leasing, financing and sale of real estate. The team is highlighted for its 'quick, sustainable and economic solutions', and has additional expertise in tax and litigation, as well as providing assistance with contract issues. It is led by the well-reputed Andreas Vögeli, who impresses with a broad background in the field. Oliver Zbinden is a key member of the team at the associate level.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Real Estate legal team of Niederer Kraft Frey (NKF) is capable to deal with complex situations. The team provides deep understanding and broad knowledge in all real estate disciplines. But the highest value of NKF’s Real Estate team is the strong commitment for its customer in the sense of quick, sustainable and economic solutions.’
‘Andreas Vögeli is the best real estate lawyer in Switzerland.’
‘Unique is the combination of know-how and experience in different fields of the real estate industry and the pragmatism of advice and solutions; the team is constantly solution oriented; the partners have broad and deep experience in different fields; for a client the “one stop shop” is important.’
‘The real estate team of NKF with head Andreas Vögeli is highly competent to deal with complex real estate cases. Questions are answered in a pragmatic and goal-focused manner. Andreas Vögeli helps in negotiations, is clear in his communication and clearly one of the best in this field in Switzerland. ’
‘Andreas Vögeli has seen various cases in his professional life and has always an answer when faced with problems. He is up-to-date and has high negotiation skills.’
‘Outstanding network, deal supporting-mindset, super responsive, pragmatic and overall always very helpful – a top-of-mind law firm in the real estate sector.’
‘In-depth and broad market knowledge.’
Schroder Investment Management (Switzerland) AG
BVK Personalvorsorge des Kantons Zürich
RUAG Real Estate AG
AXA Investment Managers (Schweiz) AG
AFIAA Foundation for International Real Estate Investments
EQT Partner AG
- Advised Central Real Estate Basel on the acquisition of 160,000 sqm within the Klybeck site in Basel.
- Advising ZKB / Swisscanto Invest on various due diligences and real estate sale and purchase transactions in several Swiss cantons.
- Advised Schroder Investment Management (Switzerland) on the acquisition of the R&D centre from Syngenta in Stein, and also on the acquisition of an office property in Geneva from Credit Suisse.
Covering both the residential and commercial market, the team at Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd advises on a range of topics; it has considerable experience in construction disputes and real estate contracts, and is involved in the full life-cycle of real estate transactions. Its client portfolio includes international companies, institutional investors and construction companies in the retail, hotel, office and industrial sectors. Yves Jeanrenaud in Geneva and Josef Caleff jointly lead the practice, both with a strong M&A and corporate background. In the Geneva office, Christopher Boog and Elliott Geisinger are specialists in construction arbitration proceedings.
Yves Jeanrenaud; Josef Caleff
Other key lawyers:
Elliott Geisinger; Christopher Boog; Amanda Burnand Sulmoni; Mélisande Nussbaum
‘Partners and associates are readily available and provide excellent advice and case management.’
‘Quick reaction time. Smart and insightful feedback and orientation geared towards getting things done as opposed to finding problems for every solution. Also the strong network of the firm with relevant counter parties within the Swiss ecosystem whether regulatory, tax, business is a clear advantage and helps getting clarity and closing issues quickly and efficiently.’
‘Mélisande Nussbaum impresses with professionalism. She’s extremely efficient, wise and available.’
‘The partners and associates we interact with are all very smart, very responsive, and very solutions oriented. For transactional guys like us this is very important.’
International Labour Organization
Epic Suisse Property Management GmbH
Credit Suisse AG
DuPont de Nemours International Sàrl
UK Land Estates
Hotel Beaulac, Neuchatel
Parker Hannifin Group
Société Privée de Gérance
SV Group AG
Vantage Data Center
Barry Callebaut AG
Lokales Wasser 37 AG
- Advised BASF on the sale of 120,000 sqm development land in the City of Basel in a multi-tier auction process to Swiss Life.
- Counselled Bouygues Construction in the acquisition of Alpiq Engineering Services for a purchase price of CHF850m.
- Advised the International Labour Organisation (ILO) on the sale of a plot of land to the Steiner Investment Foundation at a price of CHF150m.
Walder Wyss Ltd.'s client roster includes publicly listed companies, funds and high-net-worth individuals (HNWI). The team is noted for its wealth of experience in real estate transactions, in which it often acts on the buyer side. Furthermore, the team's offering includes representation in related disputes as well as notarial services in the Basel, Bern and Lugano offices. Francis Nordmann and Johannes Bürgi know real estate finance matters well; they lead the practice jointly with Marco Strahm who is based in Bern. Christian Eichenberger made partner in early 2020 and advises on leases. Davide Jermini is the key contact in the Lugano region.
Francis Nordmann; Johannes Bürgi; Marco Strahm
Other key lawyers:
Christian Eichenberger; Davide Jermini; Thomas Müller; Thomas Meister
‘Top Efficiency, great network in every single aspect of the industry.’
‘Francis Nordmann is super efficient, friendly, down to earth.’
‘Davide Jermini: excellent work performed as attorney and notary in local real estate transaction.’
Swiss Finance & Property
Swiss Education Group
W RE London
- Advised Swiss Finance & Property acting on behalf of its various listed real estate investment funds in various substantial real estate transactions across Switzerland as buyer of commercial and residential real estate.
- Advised Akara Funds on its purchase of various real estate, including a real estate portfolio in the French speaking part of Switzerland by means of asset and share deals.
- Advised Goldman Sachs in the course of its establishment of a Swiss residential mortgage business platform.
Noted for its local presence in six different cities in Switzerland, Bratschi Ltd has extensive coverage of the real estate market. The team's comprehensive offering, which includes construction law, transactions and contractor agreements, was recently bolstered further by the arrival of practice co-head Markus Aeschbacher, with a specialisation in contracts, and Marco Colombini; both joined in October 2020 from the now-defunct Hartmann Müller Partner. The group's client portfolio comprises investors, developers, companies and individuals. The Zug-based Ion Eglin jointly leads the team and is highlighted for his 'great knowledge in the hotel business'. Thomas Schönenberger and Ulrich Keusen are key contacts in St. Gallen and Bern, respectively.
Ion Eglin; Markus Aeschbacher
Other key lawyers:
Marco Colombini; Thomas Schönenberger; Ulrich Keusen
‘Its expertise in the hospitality industry, its branches over the country and the access to in-house partners with additional expertise in other fields.’
‘Ion Eglin is very reliable, dedicated and experienced in his field, his expertise in the hospitality industry is unique in CH. He is going the extra mile for his clients.’
‘Ion Eglin has a great knowledge in the hotel business and is very confident in negotiations.’
PSP Real Estate AG
PSP Group Services AG
Genossenschaft Migros Ostschweiz
St. Galler Kantonalbank AG
Meier Tobler AG
Radisson Hotel Group
Steigenberger Hotels AG
Helvetia Schweizerische Versicherungsgesellschaft AG
Semtech International AG
Säntis Home AG
Kantonsspital St. Gallen
Hälg & Co. AG
Asga Pensionskasse Genossenschaft
Ego Kiefer AG
Pensionskasse Stadt St. Gallen
Westoffice Real Estate AG
Sigma-Aldrich Production GmbH, subsidiary of Merck KGaA
Losinger Marazzi AG
RIMC Schweiz Hotels & Resorts AG
Aminona Luxury Resort and Village SA
- Advised Meier Tobler on a sale-and-lease-back transaction for a new logistics centre.
- Advised PSP on the hotel agreements for its new hotel in the old town of Berne, to be operated by SV Group.
- Advised CSL Behring on a construction project of CHF250m, including zone plan adjustments, contracts etc.
Through close collaboration with the firm's market-leading corporate practice, the team at Homburger is well positioned to handle transactions in the real estate area. It regularly acts for investors and companies, in particular from the pharmaceutical sector. Other areas of strength include providing advice on property development, lease agreements and a variety of construction mandates. Practice head Daniel Hasler's background in M&A and financing complements the procedural and regulatory expertise of Stefan Gäumann, who made partner in early 2021. Marcel Dietrich specialises in competition and administrative law.
Other key lawyers:
Stefan Gäumann; Marcel Dietrich
‘Outstanding knowledge of the law and of the practice, pragmatic approach in emotional disagreements, brief turnaround in challenging situations.’
‘Expertise, entrepreneurial thinking, fast actions.’
‘Daniel Hasler – excellent expert knowledge combined with clear communication.’
Swiss Prime Site
Medical Properties Trust
Hornbach Baumarkt (Schweiz)
Estate of Marc Rich, Marc Rich Real Estate
- Advised Novartis on the sale of a sterile drug product fill and finish facility to Lonza.
- Representing Hornbach in the building permit process regarding a CHF50m retail facility project.
- Advised SPS on a lease agreement for premises in Zurich.
Pestalozzi's team is active in projects in the industrial, commercial and residential sectors, and has an active construction practice. The offering includes portfolio transactions, financing and due diligence. Other areas of expertise are public procurement processes and environmental law. The group, which is led by real estate specialist Michael Lips, is regularly instructed by national and international companies from the retail, consumer goods and life sciences industries. Counsel Paola Wullschleger also specialises in real estate litigation and tenancy law and is highlighted alongside associate Andrea Rohrer-Lippuner.
Other key lawyers:
Paola Wullschleger; Andrea Rohrer-Lippuner
‘Michael Lips is very experienced in real estate transactions.’
Zurich University Hospital
Johnson & Johnson
The Capra Hotel
Riken Yamamoto & Field Shop
Sonder USA Inc.
Gilead Sciences Switzerland Sàrl
Cantonal Hospital Baselland
- Advised Zurich University Hospital on its complete structural renovation including comprehensive construction, planning and public procurement law.
- Advised Sonder in view of its Swiss market entry from a Swiss real estate law perspective.
- Advised Johnson & Johnson’s medical devices supply chain manufacturing business on the sale of 12 manufacturing sites in Switzerland.
The real estate team at Python is led by Geneva-based Marc Iynedjian and Christophe de Kalbermatten in Sion and is well positioned to cover the French-Swiss real estate market. It advises institutional investors, companies and private clients and is active in transactional and contractual matters in connection with commercial and residential real estate. The group also handles dispute resolution proceedings and environmental law issues. Jean-Christophe Hocke is a key contact for private clients.
Marc Iynedjian; Christophe de Kalbermatten
Other key lawyers:
‘Reliability, competence, budget management.’
‘Marc Iynedjian and Philippe Florinetti provide reliability, rapidity of execution, and strategical advice.’
Rosebud Heritage SA
Finartis Properties SA
- Advised the Fédération romande immobilière on whether rents are to be paid by retail tenants during Covid-19 related shutdown orders.
VISCHER fields several civil law notaries in the Basel office and is also well versed in the life cycle of urban housing projects, including zoning, land register, financing and negotiation matters. Roland Müller in Basel also handles transactions and investments; he jointly leads the practice with Maxime Chollet, who is based in Geneva. In the Basel office, Andreas Albrecht is also experienced in planning and zoning law, while Beatrice Wagner Pfeifer specialises in public and environmental law.
Roland Müller; Maxime Cholet
Other key lawyers:
Benedict Christ; Andreas Albrecht; Beatrice Wagner Pfeifer
‘Expertise and experience in accompanying large real estate transactions. Provision of legal advice and notarial services from a single source. Covers all Swiss cantons with its own branches and network of associated law firms.’
BASF Schweiz AG, Basel and Swiss Life AG, Zurich
MEININGER Hotels group
AFINUM Achte Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
Dubai’s DP World and Swissterminal
General Dynamics European Land Systems Mowag GmbH
Parking Kunstmuseum AG
Aluminium Laufen AG
- Handled the notarisation and execution of the sale of BASF’s 120,000 sqm stake in the Klybeck site.
- Advised Helvetia Insurance on the transfer of its real estate portfolio in Switzerland to a real estate vehicle.
- Handled the notarisation and execution of the sale of Migros’s real estate in Basel.
BianchiSchwald LLC covers a wide range of real estate matters, ranging from financing, transactions and leases to procurement, planning and rural property law. With offices across Switzerland, the team can provide specific and local assistance to its client base, which comprises national and international medium and large enterprises. It is led by Marc Metzger, who is also well versed in contract and construction law, and Yves de Coulon, who is based in Geneva, where he has particularly deep insight into the real estate market. Hans-Peter Schwald and associate Andreas Suter are also noted members of the team.
Yves de Coulon; Marc Metzger
Other key lawyers:
Hans-Peter Schwald; Andreas Suter
Blum & Grob Attorneys at Law Ltd has a practice specialised in advising investors, architects and building companies. It has broad coverage of real estate and construction matters, with noteworthy expertise in financing, M&A, sale and leaseback deals, and also advises on portfolio and joint venture structures. The team's key contacts are David Schwaninger, Gian Marchet Kasper, Adrian Hirzel and André Girguis, who also assist in tenancy law matters and related litigation.
David Schwaninger; Gian Marchet Kasper; Adrian Hirzel; André Girguis
‘David Schwaninger thinks outside the box, discovering new ideas which might not have been thought of.’
Property One Partners AG
Property One Investors AG
Betalon TU AG
Albalon I AG
Loreda Real Estate AG
Siemens Switzerland Ltd
Zaltana Properties Ltd
Partner Real Estate AG
Property 12 AG
Viva Real AG
Verit Immobilien AG
Tiger Stores (Switzerland) AG
Wireless Communications AG
- Advised WieInvest on the structuring and granting of secured mezzanine financings for more than 10 borrowers with real estate projects in Switzerland.
- Advised WieRe on a club deal co-investment and co-development structure, including setting up a joint venture company for the development of a large condominium project.
- Advising Viva Real and the owner in a construction project based on the BIM method with the purpose of using data for the entire lifecycle of the new buildings.
BMG Avocats advises private companies and public entities on a variety of real estate-related topics, such as permits, environmental law and construction processes. The team's client portfolio includes institutional investors, investment funds, property owners and companies, which also seek assistance in transactions and litigation proceedings. Isabelle Salomé Daïna is well versed in the gamut of contract-related matters, while Nicolas Wisard handles administrative issues; together they head up the practice.
Isabelle Salomé Daïna; Nicolas Wisard
The sizeable team at Kellerhals Carrard has an 'excellent reputation in the construction sector', in which it is instructed by contractors, developers, real estate companies and governments. The team has considerable experience in public procurement and construction disputes, and has recently advised on the digitalisation of the construction sector. Practice head Bernd Hauck in Basel is a recognised practitioner in the field. He is supported by Andreas Guengerich and Mario Marti in Bern.
Other key lawyers:
Fabrizio Gabrielli; Andreas Guengerich; Mario Marti
‘Kellerhals Carrard is one of the big law firms in Switzerland. The team has multiple resources and can therefore handle very complex matters. It provides high level and practical advice at decent hourly fees. ’
‘Bernd Hauck is the leader of the real estate team. Bernd is an excellent speaker and specialises in international construction law questions.’
‘The practice has unique knowledge of construction law, public procurement and planning contracts.’
‘Mario Marti is the best expert in construction law, public procurement and planning contracts.’
‘The law firm is present in the entire country (all languages) and is therefore aware of the various regional differences (which is key in the Swiss market). Even though the quality of the law firm services is outstanding the requested fees are still very fair. ’
‘Bernd Hauk’s out of the box thinking and his ability to give advice both in German and French is appreciated. First and foremost, he tries to understand the client’s needs helping to implement practical solutions.‘
‘I am a big fan of Bernd Hauck. He is extremely well connected with overseas construction lawyers and my experience of doing client work with him is that he can resolve problems in a measured and efficient way.’
‘The team is known for its excellent reputation in the construction sector. With their offices in all of the language regions in Switzerland, they cover the entire country. And they are big: The outstanding Real Estate and Construction team includes more than 30 lawyers.’
EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg
Steiner Investment Foundation
Bricks Group AG
Leonhard Weiss Bau AG
PDP Capital AG
STS Group Switzerland AG
UBS Fund Management
Ultimate Concepts Ltd.; Kigali (Rwanda)
- Advising CSL Behring with the planning and construction of two major pharmaceutical plants in Switzerland.
- Advising Itten+Brechbühl on contractual questions as well as on insurance and liability matters in relation to a new building complex for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Assisting Ultimate Concepts with a $300m hotel complex/convention centre project in Kigali, Rwanda.
LALIVE's practice specialises in real estate, construction and infrastructure disputes and is noted for its 'accurate and meticulous approach'. The team is regularly involved in national and international arbitration as well as litigation proceedings and fields a diverse group of lawyers able to practice in multiple jurisdictions. Geneva's key contacts are Matthias Scherer, Michael Schneider, Bernd Ehle and Joachim Knoll, while Melissa Magliana is a name to note in Zurich.
Other key lawyers:
Melissa Magliana; Matthias Scherer; Michael Schneider; Bernd Ehle; Joachim Knoll
‘Accurate and meticulous approach to the case, without losing the practical grip.’
‘Melissa Magliana is exceptionally reactive and available. She quickly grasps the controversial point of the case and has an extraordinarily practical approach. Firm but also flexible to accommodate client’s needs.’
‘Lalive sets a new and very high bar for both professionalism and knowledge. Professionally it was truly an honour and pleasure to work with Lalive.’
Republic of Latvia
DSG Yapi San Tic A.S.
- Representing a design company in an ICC arbitration regarding a $789m dispute related to an infrastructure project.
- Representing DSG Yapi Sanayi, a Turkish construction company, in a $300m ICSID investment treaty arbitration against Saudi Arabia in relation to a construction project.
- Representing the instrumentality of a Middle Eastern State in a $300m arbitration conducted under the ICC Rules of Arbitration concerning a major infrastructure project.
The Geneva-based real estate practice of Mangeat Attorneys at Law LLC acts for private and public companies, particularly on the buyer side, with special expertise in the drafting and negotiating of contracts. Joël Chevallaz leads the group; he has strong relationships with clients from French-speaking jurisdictions. Pierre Rüttimann handles securitisations, while Ramon Rodriguez specialises in contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
Pierre Rüttimann; Ramon Rodriguez
RIVLIN FRANCE SA
DOMINIQUE GRENIER ARCHITECTURE SA
- Advised Rivlin France on the development of one of the largest real estate development projects of its kind in the Rhône-Alpes region.
- Advised FMC Immo in the purchase of a majority stake in Brisen Investment.
- Advised Magic Spirit in the purchase of Laphimmo.
The real estate practice at Wenger Plattner handles building permits, construction projects and disputes relating to public as well as private law. Another area of activity is conducting buyer due diligence for its clients, which are mostly investment and pension funds. Team leader Thomas Wetzel also advises on the purchase and sale of real estate. Placidus Plattner and Gaudenz Schwitter are also key members of the group.
Other key lawyers:
Placidus Plattner; Gaudenz Schwitter
‘Noted for its reputation, experience and excellent market knowledge – top team.’
Stiftung für Kunst, Kultur und Geschichte
VERIT Investment Management AG
Energie 360° AG
Immobilien ETHZF AG
Brandenberger + Ruosch AG