Real estate and construction in Switzerland
Bär & Karrer Ltd. has a strong focus on transactions, with its expertise ranging from portfolio transactions and share deals to initial public offerings and capital increases. Its client portfolio consists of companies from the financial services, energy, health and retail sectors. Corrado Rampini has a strong track record in transactions and also advises on the financing of real estate portfolios; Daniel Bader covers tax matters; and associate Charles Gschwind is also noted.
‘The team has an excellent mix of experience, motivation and thoroughness.‘
‘Corrado Rampini is an extremely experienced practitioner.’
‘Charles Gschwind is very knowledgable and able to bring complex matters to the finishing line.’
PSP Swiss Property
Andermatt Swiss Alps
E. Schubiger & Cie. AG
- Assisted Syngenta on the sale and leaseback of its global headquarters.
- Assisted the sellers on the sale of Briner Winterthur.
- Advised E. Schubiger & Cie. on the sale of a development property.
Baker McKenzie impresses with a broad practice; it is experienced in handling real estate M&A and private equity, tax restructuring, real estate investment schemes and real estate developments. With offices in Zurich and Geneva, the team is further active in the hotel sector. Many of its lawyers have a transactional and financing background, including Martin Furrer and Alexander Wyss. Samuel Marbacher also has expertise in environmental and regulatory matters. Senior counsel Daniel Peregrina and Olivier Ducrey are the key contacts in Geneva.
Martin Furrer; Alexander Wyss; Samuel Marbacher; Olivier Ducrey
‘The Baker McKenzie real estate team is exceptional in the market. Its real estate practice is fully integrated and it has a very pragmatic and client-focused approach and exactly knows its client’s needs.’
‘Martin Furrer, Samuel Marbacher and Alexander Wyss are outstanding lawyers, and provide – individually and as a team- swift, precise and highly workable advice. They are very business minded, hands-on and personable.’
‘Samuel Marbacher’s excellent work is most appreciated. He is an excellent lawyer with an outstanding range of knowledge and working service-oriented with his team and provides excellent solutions.‘
IHAG Holding AG / Swiss Life AG
PSP Swiss Property
Fundamenta Group Investment Foundation
Fundamenta Real Estate AG
Helvetica Property AG / Helvetica Swiss Commercial
Aerium / Meigerhorn
Varia Europe Properties AG
Ultima Capital SA
- Represented IHAG Holding and Swiss Life in their consortium acquisition of the Widder Hotel AG.
- Acted for PSP Swiss Property in its CHF180.5m acquisition of Carba Imobilien.
- Represented Fundamenta Real Estate on its listing on SIX Swiss Exchange.
The team at CMS is usually engaged in the full life-cycle of a real estate mandate, from the acquisition, development, and financing up until the sale of the property. The team is a popular choice for investors, developers and for key players in the hotel industry. Stefan Gerster leads the practice; he specialises in portfolio transactions and investments in shopping and entertainment centres. He is supported by Sibylle Schnyder, who knows landlord and tenancy as well as construction law well. Olivier Carrard, whose speciality is commercial real estate transactions, leads the team in Geneva.
‘A very professional, hands-on team with great engagement and professional excellence.’
‘CMS has great experience and is always willing to support.’
KanAm Grund Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Credit Suisse Asset Management (Schweiz) Ltd.
Global IT Company
Swiss Prime Site Immobilien Ltd.
Allianz Suisse Real Estate Inc
Swiss Prime Investment Foundation
- Advised KanAm Grund Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft on the acquisition of an office building in Etoy.
- Assisted UBS with the sale of the Hotel Widder.
- Advised Credit Suisse Asset Management on the acquisition of land and the construction of a residential complex in Zürich.
The real estate practice at Lenz & Staehelin is highly regarded by investors, real estate investment funds and public bodies, as well as by clients from the renewable energy sector, financial institutions, commercial users and private clients. Besides handling the gamut of transactional work, the team also covers litigation, tax and public law mandates. Geneva-based Cécile Berger Meyer has a broad practice, with experience in civil as well as administrative law matters. Beat Kühni has a similarly comprehensive background in the real estate and construction space; together they lead the group. Andreas Rötheli in Geneva is also a prominent practitioner.
Cécile Berger Meyer; Beat Kühni
‘What makes the team unique is its availability, punctuality to provide material and experience in the RE industry.’
‘The team is very approachable with high level of availability. In-depth knowledge allows for added value in all processes.’
‘Cécile Berger Meyer stands out for her accountability, knowledge of the case and sympathy levels. She’s available 24/7 if needed and always remembers every detail of a complex case.‘
Eli Lilly and Company
Ritz Carlton & Marriott International
- Assisted Lonza Group with the acquisition of the sterile fill and finish facility of Novartis in Stein.
- Continued to counsel Z Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition and renovation of the Waldhaus Flims Mountain Resort & Spa.
Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Ltd is noted for its experience in contentious matters relating to construction law and zoning. The team is also experienced in the acquisition and sale of properties, project development and financing. Its client base is similarly broad, including institutional and private equity investors, public sector clients, banks and high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs). Wolfgang Müller, the team leader in Zurich, focuses on real estate M&A, while Geneva-practice head Philippe Prost is experienced in litigation. Walter Häberling is also a highlighted practitioner.
Wolfgang Müller; Philippe Prost
‘The team has very good real estate transaction know-how.’
‘ML is proactive in searching for solutions that try to avoid or to simplify legal constraints. Its advice is usually very pertinent and is appreciated.’
‘Wolfgang Müller is very responsive and solution-oriented. He has creative ideas and is a trustful partner.‘
‘Philippe Prost is appreciated for his acumen, availability and foresight in analysing legal problems and ability in suggesting pertinent solutions.’
Allianz Suisse Immobilien AG
Allreal Holding AG
Sunrise (Sunrise Communications Group AG)
- Represented Sunrise in its CHF6.3bn acquisition of UPC Switzerland with respect to real estate and infrastructure.
- Acted for Allianz in the acquisition of the Weltpost Park.
- Advised Allreal relating to the issue and listing of bond offerings on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Niederer Kraft Frey AG is noted for its comprehensive practice, which covers the gamut of relevant matters in the commercial, hospitality and residential real estate field. Andreas Vögeli leads the team and is an experienced advisor in real estate transactions. Till Spillmann is often involved in real estate finance. Besides such mandates, the team also acts on litigation and tax mandates. Associate Oliver Zbinden supports the team.
‘The team stands out through broad experience, great availability and its quality of execution.‘
‘Andreas Vögeli is a highly experienced, quickly working and straightforward communicator. He focuses on realistic execution more than academical work.’
ZKB / Swisscanto Invest
AXA Investment Managers (Schweiz) AG
AFIAA Foundation for International Real Estate Investments
BVK Personalvorsorge des Kantons Zürich (Pension Fund of the Canton of Zurich)
RUAG Real Estate AG
Nidwalden Airpark AG
- Advised Central Real Estate Basel on the acquisition of a significant property in the Klybeck site in Basel.
- Advised ZKB / Swisscanto Invest on multiple due diligences and real estate sale and purchase transactions in several Swiss cantons.
- Assisted Credit Suisse Asset Management with sales of residential and mixed used buildings.
Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd fields an experienced team in transactions and disputes. The broad practice further covers contracts, construction, environmental law, tax and administrative matters. It has two same-sized teams in Geneva and Zurich, which are led by Yves Jeanrenaud and Josef Caleff respectively. Jeanrenaud has a comprehensive background and is knowledgeable in investments, leases, real estate financing and structuring, as well as in the hotel industry. Caleff is involved in real estate M&A. Elliott Geisinger in Geneva and Christopher Boog are the key contacts for disputes.
Yves Jeanrenaud; Josef Caleff
‘The team stands out for being reactive, very knowledgeable and able to quickly properly assess what is at stake.’
‘SW has an excellent reputation and network.’
‘Josef Caleff is responsive and very knowledgeable about the market and the stakeholders with a good legal expertise.’
ALWAHA Contracting & Trading Co. W.L.L
Epic Suisse Property Management GmbH
Credit Suisse AG
DuPont de Nemours International Sàrl
Hotel Beaulac, Neuchatel
Parker Hannifin Group
Société Privée de Gérance
Rockspring Property Investment Managers LLP
SV Group AG
- Assisted BASF with the sale of a significant development land in Basel.
- Advised Bouygues Construction, which entered into a purchase agreement with Alpiq Group, on the acquisition of Alpiq Engineering Services.
- Counselled EPIC Suisse Property Management on the acquisition of office properties from PSP Swiss Property.
Walder Wyss Ltd. has considerable experience acting for buyers, including real estate investors, in transactions. Other areas of expertise include assisting landlords with the sale of their properties and real estate disputes. Francis Nordmann is a key contact for foreign and national companies and individuals in a variety of mandates; he leads the practice together with finance expert Johannes Bürgi and the Bern-based Marco Strahm, who acts, besides in transactions, also as public notary. Christian Eichenberger, Thomas Müller and Lugano's Davide Jermini are also prominent practitioners.
Francis Nordmann; Johannes Bürgi; Marco Strahm
‘The team provides great advice.’
‘Davide Jermini is the perfect lawyer for a successful real estate transaction.’
Akara Funds AG
SG Investments Ltd.
Swiss Finance & Property
Geneva Management Group
Palme Immobilien AG
- Assisted a Swiss institutional investor with multiple real estate development projects all over Switzerland.
- Acted for Crowdhouse in all Swiss real estate transactions.
- Advised various real estate investment funds on significant property acquisitions.
The real estate practice at BianchiSchwald LLC covers the gamut of property matters. The team has experience in cross-border transactions and acts for individuals, SMEs and large companies as well as developers, contractors and investors. Geneva-based Yves de Coulon heads the group and is a key contact in construction, leases, asset management, financing and public procurement, among other areas. Marc Metzger regularly applies his knowledge in corporate and commercial law in the real estate field.
Yves de Coulon
‘The team is very competent and strong in negotiations.’
Bratschi Ltd has a solid offering in the real estate sector, with additional expertise in related public law matters. Combined with a presence in six Swiss cities, it has good coverage regionally. It has special expertise in construction law, transactions and advising public bodies on public procurement, zoning and legislative matters. Practice head Ion Eglin in Zug is a specialist in hospitality law. Thomas Schönenberger is a key contact in contractor agreements. Ulrich Keusen in Bern is also noted.
‘Bratschi works solution-oriented and pragmatic.’
‘Ion Eglin has excellent market expertise; he is competent and a good negotiator.’
‘Thomas Schöneberger – his expertise in real estate law combined with deal experience made him a valuable partner.’
Genossenschaft Migros Ostschweiz
Radisson Hotel Group
Steigenberger Hotels AG
RIMC Schweiz Hotels & Resorts AG
Semtech International AG
PSP Group Services AG
PSP Real Estate AG
Säntis Home AG
Kantonsspital St. Gallen
Hälg & Co. AG
Merck & Cie
Asga Pensionskasse Genossenschaft
CSL Legnau AG
Hochbau Stadt Bern
- Assisted Migros with the sale of a significant industrial land to a metal construction company.
- Advised the Radisson Hotel Group on the restructuring of the Park Inn hotels in Switzerland.
- Advised Asga Pension Fund on the planning and realisation of a residential and business construction in Wintherthur.
Noted for its broad practice, Homburger has particularly strong experience in transactions as well as non-transactional regulatory and contractual matters. The team works across departments and can combine tax, corporate financing and dispute resolution expertise. Daniel Hasler heads the team and has a comprehensive background in the field. He is supported by Marcel Dietrich, who specialises in competition and regulatory matters. Stefan Gäumann is a dedicated senior associate.
‘Homburger offers available expertise, a willingness to deliver under any circumstances, with flexible key contacts.’
‘Stefan Gäumann provides excellent support throughout the process.’
Swiss Prime Site
AMAG (independent Swiss importer of cars of the VW Group)
Medical Properties Trust
Marc Rich Trust
MTH Retail Group Holding
- Acted for Implenia in connection with public procurement proceedings.
- Assisted Medical Properties Trust with the CHF240m acquisition of a stake in Infracore.
- Advised Clariant on the sale of Infrapark Baselland to GETEC.
The team at Pestalozzi has considerable experience in hotel, commercial and residential projects. Its comprehensive practice also covers land use and zoning law, construction permits and tax matters, among other areas. The group is further noted for its specialisation in the environment field. Michael Lips leads the team and is also well versed in public procurement. Other prominent group members are senior associate Paola Wullschleger and associate Andrea Rohrer-Lippuner.
‘Pestalozzi has a very competent team always gives expert advice while also being responsive and having fast turn around times.‘
‘Michael Lips has the outstanding ability to get to the point.‘
‘Andrea Rohrer-Lippuner and Michael Lips both are very competent and helpful, always make the client their first priority and let them feel safe and well informed.’
Universitäts Spital Zürich
Pensionskasse der Stadt Lugano / Cassa Pensioni di Lugano (CPdL)
Johnson & Johnson
- Assisted Fitness World Group with the acquisition of basefit.ch regarding real estate due diligence of 39 locations in Switzerland and the related leases, building permits for tenant improvements and some rights disputes.
- Advised the Pension Fund of the City of Lugano on contract negotiation and drafting as well as coordination with the parties and the Land Registry concerning the CHF60m sale of a real estate development in Lugano-Pregasson.
- Counselled a foreign private investor on the purchase of various buildings of the Cornu et Cie watch factory.
Python's strengths lay in residential and commercial real estate transactions and construction projects as well as environmental matters and the setting up of real estate funds. Its work often has cross-border aspects. Practice co-head Marc Iynedjian in Geneva is a specialist in sale and leaseback transactions. He leads the team jointly with Sion-based Christophe de Kalbermatten, who is active in M&A. Olivier Klunge is a key contact in Lausanne.
Marc Iynedjian; Christophe de Kalbermatten
‘The team is very client focused, highly experienced and knowledgeable.’
‘Marc Iynedjian is an invaluable business partner, always protecting his client’s interests. He is very pragmatic, diligent, professional and business oriented.‘
Finartis Properties SA
- Advised Finartis Properties on a residential real estate development in Cologny, Geneva regarding construction aspects and the sale of town houses.
VISCHER has a strong footing in Basel, where it can offer notarial services and also advises on tax and legal aspects in the real estate aspects. The team's involvement in foreign investment projects and in the development of urban housing projects is highlighted. Roland M. Müller leads the practice and is well versed in commercial leases, transactions and investments. Andreas Albrecht is an expert in real estate projects and transactions. Beatrice Wagner Pfeifer specialises in environmental law. All above noted practitioners are based in Basel; Benedict Christ is a key contact in Zurich.
‘Vischer is noted for providing outstanding legal expertise within the given time frame. It has excellent team spirit and is focused to find pragmatic but legally sound solutions in a cost-conscious way.’
‘The team has a holistic view on the overall project, providing the client with different perspectives.’
Acino Holding Pension Fund
Bâloise Holding AG, Basler Leben AG
General Dynamics European Land Systems –Mowag GmbH
Parking Kunstmuseum AG
Poscom Ferien Holding AG
Axpo Power AG
Aluminium Laufen AG
Siemens Schweiz AG
Pax, Schweizerische Lebensversicherungs-Gesellschaft
BASF Schweiz AG / Swiss Life AG
- Assisted Baloise with the transfer of a real estate portfolio of CHF350m.
- Acted for Meininger in its entry into the Swiss Market.
- Advised Balintra on its construction project of a 100m tower and multiple apartments.
BAUR HÜRLIMANN AG
BAUR HÜRLIMANN AG has a dedicated practice covering all matters relating to construction, planning and real estate law. Areas of expertise include disputes, tenders and environmental issues, and the team is instructed by companies as well as individuals. Prominent practitioners include Roland Hurlimann, Erich Rüegg and Michael Merker.
Blum & Grob Attorneys at Law Ltd covers a broad range of matters in the construction and real estate space, spanning financings, transactions and M&A, tenancy law and contentious work. Investors, architects and building companies regularly approach the team to assist them in all stages of construction projects. David Schwaninger is an expert in the area, with a special focus on new real estate technologies. Gian Marchet Kasper regularly advises on mezzanine financing, while Adrian Hirzel knows real estate acquisitions well. André Girguis is also noted.
David Schwaninger; Gian Marchet Kasper; Adrian Hirzel; André Girguis
‘The attorneys have fundamental knowledge in real estate as well as digitalization topics.’
‘The team at B&G is fast and supporting on all levels. They are advisors and think outside the box.’
‘David Schwaninger is a stand-out partner with a make-it-happen attitude.’
‘Gian Marchet Kasper is very smart, willing to go the extra mile and a true business partner.’
Property One Partners AG
Property One Investors AG
Betalon TU AG
Albalon I AG
Loreda Real Estate AG
Siemens Switzerland Ltd
Zaltana Properties Ltd
Partner Real Estate AG
VISION ZÜRICH AG
Viva Real AG
Verit Immobilien AG
- Advised Loreda Real Estate on the acquisition of a real estate portfolio.
- Assisted WieInvest with mezzanine financing matters.
- Advised WieRe on an acquisition project.
Private companies and public entities regularly instruct BMG Avocats to assist them with a wide array of real estate matters. The team’s offering includes advice on land planning and construction mandates, transactions as well as rental and lease contracts and related disputes. Environmental law is another area of expertise. Isabelle Salomé Daïna in Lausanne has considerable experience in contracts; she jointly leads the practice with Geneva-based Nicolas Wisard, who is well versed in administrative and constitutional law.
Isabelle Salomé Daïna; Nicolas Wisard
Froriep's team covers a wide range of matters in the private and public construction and environmental law area, including real estate transactions and regulatory matters. Its client base comprises property owners and companies from industries such as oil, manufacturing, transport and chemicals. Dispute resolution practitioner Isabelle Romy is an expert in questions relating to environmental issues. Catrina Luchsinger Gähwiler specialises in corporate and financial market law.
Credit Suisse AG and Nova Property Fund Management AG
Cand Landi SA
Bci Betriebs AG
bfw Liegenschaften AG
Kimberly Clark Europe
1291 Die Schweizer Anlagestiftung
- Advised Central Real Estate Holding and Central Real Estate Basel on the acquisition of a significant industrial property in central Basel.
- Acted for Immobilienpartner AG in the remediation and costs allocation procedure in connection with proceedings initiated by the environmental agency.
- Advised Kimberly-Clark Europe on different environmental matters and the renewal of the operation permit in Switzerland.
Hartmann Müller Partners impresses with deep knowledge in planning, construction, financing, transactional and administrative mandates in the real estate area. It is a contact for developers and investors, and other covered areas are cross-border disputes and commercial tenancy law. Practice head Markus Aeschbacher is also well versed in construction contracting and architectural design contracts. Marco Colombini is another key contact.
‘HMP has a large area of expertise with strong competence in commercial contracts, real estate and construction. The partners are very available and flexible.‘
‘The team renders consistently services with excellent quality and tailor-made solutions.’
‘Markus Aeschbacher is a real expert. He is able to immediately see the decisive point in a case and resolve disputes pragmatically and efficiently.’
- Acted for a fund management company on behalf of a listed real estate fund in the purchase and sale of several real estate properties and portfolios.
- Assisted an automatic data collection and process automation company with the construction of its plant, international tendering procedures and the coordination of several subcontractors.
- Counselling a Swiss real estate company in all legal aspects of the development of residential areas.
Instructed by contractors as well as developers, Kellerhals Carrard is regularly involved in advising on construction projects, in particular in the energy sector. The practitioners are also approached by governments on different levels to counsel on structuring and developing projects. Bernd Hauck in Basel leads the team; he and Bern-based Andreas Guengerich are key contacts in related disputes. Fabrizio Gabrielli and Mario Marti, in Basel and Bern respectively, are other names to note.
BAM Swiss AG / Royal BAM Group
Befair Partners ag
BG Ingénieurs Conseils SA
Hefti. Hess. Martignoi.
Leonhard Weiss Bau AG
PDP Capital AG
STS Group / STS Group Switzerland AG
UBS Fund Management / UBS „Sima“
Ultimate Concepts Ltd.; Kigali (Rwanda)
Usic (Swiss Association of Consulting Engineers)
- Assisted CSL Behring with the contracts and negotiation of a CHF1bn construction project.
- Acting for Ultimate Concepts Ltd. in litigation and arbitration proceedings regarding a hotel complex/convention centre project in Rwanda.
- Advised PDP Capital on the financing, contracts and building permit proceedings for two building projects.
LALIVE has a good track record in real estate, construction and infrastructure projects, be it in contentious matters or on the advisory side. In the latter, the team covers regulatory and administrative matters as well as transactions. It is further noted for its experience in cross-border mandates. Matthias Scherer, Michael Schneider, Bernd Ehle, Joachim Knoll and counsel Samuel Moss in Geneva are dispute resolution experts in construction proceedings.
‘Lalive is noted for its excellent support, full dedication of the team to the case, responsiveness, straight answers and advice, and for being very sharp lawyers.’
‘Michael Schneider is a leader in the profession.‘
‘Bernd Ehle is a great practitioner.’
‘Samuel Moss is very diligent, focussed and follows through on every detail.‘
Republic of Latvia
- Representing a client in a $300m ICC arbitration regarding an infrastructure project.
- Acting for two bioenergy companies in a dispute concerning the construction of a bioethanol facility in Northern Brazil.
- Representing a Canadian investor in a $250m investment dispute.
Geneva-based Mangeat Attorneys at Law LLC covers a wide spectrum of real estate matters, including development, finance and securitisation, as well as sale and leaseback transactions, and permits for acquisitions. Another core offering of the team is its environmental law practice. Joël Chevallaz and Pierre Rüttimann jointly lead the group and both have a comprehensive background in the area.
Joël Chevallaz; Pierre Rüttimann
Les Fayards SA
- Advised Les Fayards on the development, and the financial and legal structuring of a real estate development project.
- Counseling RES-Invest on a variety of real estate-related matters.
- Providing Copimmob with legal support.
Wenger Plattner fields a team of experienced real estate and construction law practitioners. It assists clients with building permits, public and private law litigation proceedings and construction disputes. Practice head Thomas Wetzel is also regularly involved in the purchase and sale of properties. He is supported by Placidus Plattner, who often acts before courts and authorities. Other names to note are Gaudenz Schwitter and Daniel Tobler.
‘The team is exceptional.‘
Stiftung für Kunst, Kultur und Geschichte
VERIT Investement Management AG
Energie 360° AG
Immobilien ETHZF AG
Brandenberger + Ruosch Over
- Assisted VERIT Investment Management with various purchase transactions.
- Advising an insurer on developing and converting existing buildings.
- Counselled a Swiss foundation on the site development to create a new platform for research, development and innovation.