Patent litigation in Germany
Thanks to its inhouse patent law team, Bird & Bird is well equipped to guide clients through a wide spectrum of patent law matters, including those concerning the life sciences, automotive, retail and consumer goods sectors as well as the technology and telecommunications industries. The team puts significant emphasis on matters at the intersection between patent and antitrust law, which makes it one of the top contacts for FRAD issues. It also has in-depth expertise in second-medical-use, which remains a prominent theme in the market. Thanks to the firm's international network, it is also well placed to deal with cross-border litigation, frequently acting in a coordinating capacity. Oliver Jan Jüngst (pharmaceuticals and telecommunications) and Anna Wolters-Höhne (pharmaceuticals and life sciences) are among the key figures of Christian Harmsen's team. Patent lawyers Claus Becker and Sebastian Höpfner were made partners in May 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Oliver Jan Jüngst has a wealth of experience, is well interconnected and a recognised patent rights lawyer. He gave us pragmatic advice on the detailed arguments, to achieve important results and gave us first-class strategic advice on infringement procedures concerning several patents.’
Fisher & Paykel
- Legal representation of B. Braun Melsungen in patent vindication actions against Hemoteq concerning a European and a US-American patent.
- Legal representation of Broadcom in patent infringement and cancellation procedures against Asus and Netflix in the area of information technology.
- Legal representation of the Celanese Corporation in several patent infringement disputes with Daicel, Anhui Jimhe Industrial, Suzhou Hope Technology and Vitasweet Co. Ltd. concerning sweeteners and acetic acid manufacturing processes.
Hogan Lovells International LLP remains dedicated to its core sectors telecommunications, pharmaceutical, medical technology, automotive and consumer goods, while also strengthening its partner bench in the life sciences sector with the appointment of Stephan Neuhaus in January 2019. At counsel level, the simultaneous appointment of Anna-Katharina Friese was not only a boost for its patent law practice but also for its protection of business and company secrets practice. The firm's international footprint continues to generate several cross-border proceedings, including validity proceedings, for which the firm's in-house patent lawyers can be called upon. IP and patent law experts Andreas von Falck and Steffen Steininger are among the key members of the team led by Burkhart Goebel, who divides his time between Madrid and Hamburg. Alexander Reetz moved to Wildanger Kehrwald Graf v Schwerin & Partner mbB in early 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team possesses a lot of experience on international patent disputes.’
‘Considering his young age, Henrik Lehment possesses a lot of experience, particularly on disputes in the mobile phone sector. He is alert and always reachable, clear in his statements and very understanding regarding his legal and technical appraisal.’
‘Andreas von Falck is experienced, understanding and a good communicator.’
‘Steffen Steininger has an excellent technological understanding and very good procedural patent knowledge. He is also very reachable and our first choice for patent infringement procedures in Germany.’
- Legal representation of Fitbit in a competitor’s patent infringement procedure at the LG Mannheim (Regional Court) concerning two patents for the protection of health- and GPS-tracking.
- Legal representation of Ford as the defendant in a patent infringement procedure initiated by Innovative Foundry Technologies concerning semiconductors used in infotainment modules.
- Legal representation of HTC in an infringement procedure against IP Bridge at the LG Mannheim (Regional Court) concerning several standard-essential patents.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER is particularly active in the telecommunications, medical products and pharmaceutical sectors. The team led by Martin Köhler is one of the largest in the market and thus is able to handle electronics and optics, biotechnology and chemical as well as automotive sector work alongside its key sectors. Providing assistance with large cross-border mandates constitutes a key strength. Klaus Haft remains one of the practice's key contacts and is experienced in patent and design infringement proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Klaus Haft; Tobias Hessel; Christine Kanz; Kay Kasper; Christian Osterrieth; Mirko Weinert
- Ongoing advice to BMW on several patent matters, including advice on negotiations with licensing platform Avanci.
- Legal representation of the Deutsche Telekom in patent infringement, cancellation and appeal proceedings in the area of telecommunication as well as other technology areas.
- Legal representation of Gilead in cancellation procedures concerning a supplementary protection certificate for one of the best-selling medicines of the client. In addition representation in a patent infringement procedure with regards to two blockbuster-products, including proceedings at the European Court of Justice on the interpretation of the regulation for the supplementary protection certificate for medicines.
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB
Despite its purely national footprint, Düsseldorf-based boutique Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB handles a significant amount of international mandates and has been involved in some of the market's most significant proceedings. As well as representing clients in contentious proceedings, the team also has extensive experience in the valuation and development of patent portfolios alongside licensing matters. Bernhard Arnold, Cordula Schumacher and Arno Riße jointly head the practice.
Bernhard Arnold, Cordula Schumacher; Arno Riße
Celltrion und Mundipharma
Ethical Coffee Company
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
- Legal representation of Wilkinson in a patent infringement procedure concerning razor blades. Conduct of freedom-to-operate-analysis’.
- Legal representation of the Ethical Coffee Company in several patent and utility model infringement proceedings concerning coffee machines, conducted at several courts against Nespresso, Krups and DeLonghi.
- Legal representation of Hexal in an injunctive procedure and principal proceedings against AstraZeneca at the LG (Regional Court) and OLG Düsseldorf (Higher Regional Court) as well as at the LG Mannheim (Regional Court) concerning the active agent Fulvestrant, advice also on parallel running invalidation and appeal proceedings. Advice on second-medical-use-claims and simultaneous proceedings in several European jurisdictions.
Bardehle Pagenberg acts for a strong roster of international clients alongside German companies and SMEs. The team's particular strength lies in telecommunications, software and electronics disputes but the team also has a strong profile for mechanical engineering, automotive, medical device and pharmaceutical sector work. With offices in Paris and Barcelona and its partnerships with US and Asian law firms, the team is well placed to assist with cross-border disputes. Its cooperation with Yusarn Audrey in Singapore is particularly noteworthy and enables the practice to provide specific advice on Asia-related technology licences. Johannes Heselberger, Tilman Müller-Stoy and Peter Chrocziel jointly head the team, which includes Michael Kobler, who made partner in early 2019. In addition to patent litigation, he also provides assistance with license and various protection agreements.
Johannes Heselberger; Tilman Müller-Stoy, Peter Chrocziel
Other key lawyers:
Christof Karl; Stefan Lieck; Nadine Westermeyer; Michael Kobler
Gerresheimer Regensburg GmbH
Robert Bosch GmbH
Sana Biotechnology Inc.
Juno Therapeutics GmbH
- Legal representation of Amgen in a cross-border patent infringement procedure and the corresponding preliminary injunction procedure on the granting of a compulsory licence.
- Legal representation of the defendant BMW in a patent infringement procedure at the LG Mannheim (Regional Court) initiated by Broadcom concerning infotainment modules in vehicles.
- Legal representation of the Gerresheimer Regensburg GmbH in a patent infringement procedure against Roche Diabetes Care Deutschland GmbH and Roche Diabetes Care Gmb.
Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte covers an impressive technology spectrum and, despite its compact team size, handles a high proportion of international disputes. The practice is particularly active in the telecommunications and automotive sectors, while also having experience in mechanical engineering, technology and life sciences, including pharmaceuticals. Sören Dahm's appointment as salary partner in July 2018 - he handles patent infringement issues as well as trade mark and competition infringement actions - alongside the recruitment of three new associates testify to the team's flourishing development. Key individuals include team head Miriam Kiefer, Peter Kather (mechanical engineering, telecommunications, chemistry and biotechnology), Christof Augenstein (electronics, telecommunications, medical technology and automotive) and Christopher Weber (software, electronics, ehemistry, pharmaceuticals, mechanics and plastics processing).
Other key lawyers:
‘Since its founding, the law firm has quickly developed an excellent reputation as one of the leading patent rights practices in Germany.’
‘The team at Kather Augenstein is excellent, with impressive know-how and experience in all areas. One can work equally well with associates and partners. They always work goal-oriented, time efficient and develop fantastic solutions for cross-border procedures.’
‘The abilities and experience of Miriam Kiefer, Peter Kather and Jonas Block were tremendously profitable for our company.’
‘Alexander Haertel clearly stands out in the team. He uses his profound patent rights knowledge and combines it with the experience of many years to bring a case to life with the help of outside the box-solutions. The results are great strategies, which are implemented quickly.’
‘Miriam Kiefer is a very good strategist and always keeps the overview in disputes concerning several jurisdictions.’
‘Christof Augenstein is a highly talented lawyer with an international outlook. He makes use of the advantages of the German courts, but also considers experiences from other jurisdictions, to push German proceedings ahead.’
‘Christopher Weber is unique. His high-flying intellect is complemented well by his sense of humour.’
‘Christopher Weber is able to delve into the details of a case, but also shows strength concerning strategic questions, also in internationally influenced cases.’
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
MELZER Maschinenbau GmbH
Sanochemia Pharmazeutika AG
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
- Legal representation and advice to the Volkswagen AG, Porsche AG and Audi AG on a comprehensive patent infringement procedure initiated by Broadcom concerning complex patents for the chip technology used in vehicles, including coordination and advice in the parallel running cancellation procedures.
- Legal representation of Ericsson in comprehensive proceedings against Wiko regarding standard-essential patents.
With offices in Düsseldorf and Munich, IP boutique KLAKA Rechtsanwälte is an established player in the market. Despite its compact size, the firm has been involved in the largest disputes across Germany for decades. Practice head Olaf Giebe in particular has an excellent reputation, not least because of his broad technical expertise with a focus on the chemical, pharmaceutical and automotive sectors. In addition to patent and design law infringement and nullity proceedings, the practice also handles employee invention disputes and licensing agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Wolfgang Götz; Constantin Kurtz
‘KLAKA is one of the top addresses for legal disputes concerning patent-, trademark-, and design-matters. The highly specialised team convinces with the enforcement of protection rights as well as the defence against unjustified claims. A particular strength of the law firm is the additional specialising on competition law, which is significantly important in the area of standard-essential patents (RAND-objection).’
‘Olaf Giebe and Constantin Kurtz are particularly specialised on patent disputes in the areas of electronics and telecommunication. A special strength of both lawyers is, to recognise the essential aspects of highly complex patent disputes, to then develop a matching strategy for the further approach and to correctly place the deciding arguments in procedural documents as well as in verbal negotiations.’
AVM Computersysteme Vertriebs GmbH
Dürr Dental SE
fischerwerke GmbH & Co. KG
Fränkische Industrial Pipes
SRAM LLC und SRAM Deutschland GmbH
Wiko Germany GmbH und Wiko SAS
- Legal representation of 3M in a comprehensive long-standing patent infringement procedure with a parallel running cancellation procedure against a competitor.
- Legal representation of the AVM Computersysteme Vertriebs GmbH in several patent infringement proceedings in the telecommunications sector, among other things in a series of processes against a patent exploitation company.
- Legal representation of the defendant certoplast against several patent infringement procedures initiated by Tesa SE concerning patents for speciality adhesive tapes for the manufacturing of cable harnesses.
Krieger Mes & Graf v. der Groeben
Renowned Düsseldorf patent law firm Krieger Mes & Graf v. der Groeben is a long-established player in the market and, as such, continues to be involved in the most important patent disputes in Germany, most notably in the automotive sector. Axel Verhauwen is a key contact and handles the entire spectrum of patent law disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP's specialised litigation team stands out for its regular appearance in infringement and validity proceedings as well as for its international reach. The team is frequently involved in proceedings that include US and British patent law elements and, due to its size, covers a broad spectrum and is able to handle several matters simultaneously for one client. Marcus Grosch heads the team from the Munich office. In Mannheim, Jérôme Kommer made partner in January 2019. In addition to patent litigation, he also coordinates international litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Johannes Bukow; Jérôme Kommer
‘The QE team is very professional, has wide experience and knowledge about various IP matters, such as patent litigation and licence agreements.’
‘The team is always available, and delivers advice and solutions quickly. It is an excellent firm to engage for German patent litigation.’
‘Marcus Grosch is a strong team manager. Marcus has very good tactical skills and knowledge about patent litigation. He finds different creative solutions to outmanoeuvre the opponents. Marcus is also very good at handling client relationships.’
‘Anna-Katharina Hübler has the potential to become a rising star. Anna is very professional, works quickly and delivers solutions with high client value.’
Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
Välinge Innovation Sweden AB
- Legal representation of Qualcomm in several patent infringement and validity procedures against Apple concerning 13 patents, which are used in the iPhones 7 and 8.
- Legal representation of the defendant Daimler in several mobile phone patent infringement proceedings against Nokia and Broadcom as well as in the corresponding invalidity proceedings.
- Legal representation of Google as defendant and intervener in patent infringement procedures initiated by Philips against different Android-mobile phone manufacturers and Google. In addition representation in the parallel running validity proceedings.
Rospatt Osten Pross
With offices in Düsseldorf and Mannheim, Rospatt Osten Pross continues to be one of the most established firms for patent litigation in Germany. The practice is regularly involved in infringement proceedings as well as opposition and nullity proceedings and, to a lesser extent, in patent vindication procedures. It covers a broad technical spectrum and acts for an impressive roster of international clients in matters pertaining to, among others, technology, pharmaceutical and electrical engineering patents. The core team includes Max von Rospatt, Hetti Hilge, Henrik Timmann, Thomas Musmann and Rüdiger Pansch, all of whom cover a wide range of patent law work.
‘A typical dispute law firm in Düsseldorf with highly specialised partners and a lot of experience at the court location Düsseldorf.’
‘The law firm is characterised by its high professionalism, profound legal experience and outstanding technical knowledge.’
‘Henrik Timmann possesses an extraordinary legal know-how and a genius technical comprehension. He is characterised by a high degree of experience and is highly valued and appreciated by his colleagues and in court.’
‘Hetti Hilge and Thomas Musmann are among the top lawyers in Germany. They work precisely and thorough and possess a strong persuasiveness . Cases of patent infringement are left in good hands with them.’
‘Rüdiger Pansch: Outstanding litigator, quick and efficient advisor.’
- Legal representation of the defendant LG Electronics in a patent infringement procedure initiated by Wi-LAN for allegedly infringing one of the LTE-standard-essential patents for mobile communication.
- Legal representation of Samsung Electronics in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Onebutton, a subsidiary company of Arendis, for allegedly infringing the German part of a European patent. The dispute is part of a large series of processes led by Arendis and Onebutton against several consumer electronics companies.
- Legal representation of the complainant Magna in a patent infringement procedure against SHW concerning the patent for an oil pump.
Taylor Wessing frequently handles international patent infringement proceedings, partly in cooperation with various offices across its international network and partly in cooperation with other law firms. Outside Europe, the team is particularly well known for handling proceedings relating to the US, Japan, China and Taiwan. It has a focus on the technology and life sciences sectors with particular expertise in electronics and mobility alongside pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device patents. Christian Lederer heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Christoph de Coster; Gisbert Hohagen; Dietrich Kamlah; Roland Küppers; Jan Phillip Rektorschek; Sabine Rojahn
- Legal representation of Abbott in several infringement procedures against Medinol concerning patents for cardiovascular stents, also a parallel running cencellation procedure at the BGH (Federal Court).
- Legal representation of the defendant ASUS in fourteen patent infringement procedures initiated by Philips concerning the alleged infringement of eight implementation and hardware patents and four standard-essential patents for mobile phones.
- Legal representation of the logistics company CHEP in a patent infringement procedure against PAKi concerning the infringement of three European patents with regards to quarter-pallets. In addition representation of CHEP in two EPA-appeal proceedings and one cancellation procedure at the BGH (Federal Court).
At Wildanger Kehrwald Graf v Schwerin & Partner mbB, a boutique firm in Düsseldorf, the signs were set for growth in January 2019 with the arrival of mobile communications expert Alexander Reetz from Hogan Lovells International LLP. The firm is one of the best-known players in the market and has recently made a name for itself in the mobile communications sector in particular. Main contacts include Roland Kehrwald (computer technology, genetic engineering, medical technology and electrical engineering), Peter-Michael Weisse (special focus on telecommunications) and Eva Geschke (life sciences, pharmaceuticals, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and telecommunications).
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's practice stands out for its strong international focus, regularly acting alongside teams from across the firm's network to ensure the smooth handling of cross-border mandates. The German group increasingly takes on a coordinating role in these instructions. While the practice continues to be strong in life sciences, it is also gaining a noticeable profile in high tech and automotive sector work. The representation of clients in international arbitration proceedings has also increased. Joachim Feldges heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Alongside its specialism in mechanical engineering, automotive, pharmaceuticals and medical technology, CMS' clients also benefit from the firm's well-established network both within Germany and in Europe. As a result of this, the team receives a steady flow of international instructions. It provides extensive advice on contentious proceedings, most notably infringement proceedings but also opposition and opposition appeal proceedings, nullity and vindication actions as well as cancellation procedures. As well as its contentious expertise, the team also regularly acts in a purely advisory capacity in order to sound out the implications of potential patent infringements for clients and competitors. Thomas Manderla and Jörn Witt co-head the team.
Thomas Manderla; Jörn Witt
Other key lawyers:
Markus Deck; Matthias Eck; Thomas Hirse
‘Markus Deck in particular convinces with his commitment, clarity of statements, comprehensive legal knowledge, assertiveness regarding our interests, availability etc. In every way a role model of a lawyer.’
Elmos Semiconductor AG
Fine Decor GmbH
Häfele GmbH & Co KG
Kienle + Spiess GmbH
- Strategic advice to the Bohle AG on a potential attack of a patent by a competitor as well as on a potential infringement of patents of the competitor by the products of the client.
- Legal representation of the Fine Decor GmbH in a complaints procedure and in the subsequent complaints appeal procedure against a European patent of a major competitor, which concerns one of the main product lines of the client.
- Strategic advice to the Fine Decor GmbH on potential infringements of third party patents, as well as on aspects of patent law with regards to the construction of a new production plant in Germany.
DLA Piper provides assistance with infringement and nullity proceedings and, despite its relatively young practice, is one of the best contacts for disputes at the intersection with technology and automotive sector matters. Its spectrum of technical expertise goes well beyond these two sectors however and also includes production and life sciences-related work. Markus Gampp's role as head of the German and co-chair of the global patent practice illustrates the firm's international approach.
Other key lawyers:
‘The German patent rights practice of DLA Piper, under the guidance of Markus Gampp, has firmly established itself on the market over the last few years. The strong, very dynamic team delivers top-quality and works very efficiently. Further strong points are creativity and the development of arguments, the profound industry knowledge, particularly in the IT and automotive sectors, as well as the 24/7 reachability and outstanding communication.’
‘Especially to be recommended is the practice team-leader Markus Gampp. He combines comprehensive proceedings-experience and his distinct strategic thinking with an extraordinary industry knowledge. He is also characterised by his pragmatic, thought-through and structured approach and the clear, direct communication.’
Harman International Industries, Inc.
Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG
- Legal representation of Alpinestars in a comprehensive patent dispute with competitor Dainese S.p.A. concerning three patents. The representation in Germany included the defence via two cancellation procedures and one appeal procedure.
- Legal representation of Harman International Industries, Inc. as intervener in several patent infringement procedures, which were initiated by Broadcom and Avago against Audi and VW.
- Legal representation and advice to Nike as a potential complainant and defendant in several patent, utility model and registered design disputes in Germany, mainly to defend against alleged patent infringements and to protect Nike-patents from the infringements by third parties.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is particularly well known for handling numerous large patent infringement proceedings, which, with practice head Frank-Erich Hufnagel in the lead, frequently pertain to the telecommunications and pharmaceutical sectors. The firm also acts for an impressive portfolio of clients from the biotechnology, automotive and semiconductor industries. Handling standard essential patents is part of the practice's core competence.
Other key lawyers:
Wolrad Prinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
As a mixed legal and patent law practice, Grünecker is able to draw upon the experience of both skill groups when handling infringement and nullity proceedings and, thanks to its seize, is able to cover a broad spectrum of sectors. The team is also experienced in the coordination of international disputes and in proceedings pertaining to standard essential patents. Main contacts include Ulrich Blumenröder and Bernd Allekotte, who, in addition to infringement proceedings pertaining to patents, trade marks and copyright, also handles associated IP matters.
Teleflex Medical Inc.
- Legal representation of a biotechnology company in parallel running patent infringement procedures in two European countries.
- Legal representation of an international telecommunication device manufacturer in proceedings concerning standard-essential patents.
- Legal representation of a Chinese mobile phone manufacturer and its European subsidiary company in patent infringement proceedings.
With a relatively high proportion of patent attorneys, Jones Day's strength lies in handling opposition proceedings, both before the DPMA and the EPA, while the team is also a regular fixture on international infringement proceedings. Representing clients in nullity proceedings is another key element of the practice. Significant industry sectors are pharmaceuticals, automotive and consumer goods alongside medical devices and telecommunications. Patent lawyer Martin Weber heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Gerd Jaekel; Christian Paul
CJ CheilJedang Corp.
Tung Thih Electronic (TTE) Co. Ltd.
- Legal representation of Celgene Corp. including the subsidiary company in legal disputes concerning cancer medication, including several EPA-appeal and complaints proceedings as well as patent infringement procedures.
- Legal representation of Akebia Therapeutics in six EPA-appeal proceedings against the competitor FibroGen concerning pharmaceutical patents, which are used for the treatment of anaemia.
- Legal representation of Tung Thih Electronic (TTE) Co. Ltd. in a patent infringement dispute against Valeo concerning patents for distance alert systems for vehicles.
Noerr has infringement proceedings at its core but also handles opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office alongside nullity and arbitration proceedings and licensing issues. Its sector focus lies on the segments electronics, mechanical engineering, telecommunications and pharmaceuticals. Ralph Nack heads the practice from Munich.
Other key lawyers:
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner predominantly advises large German companies, while continuously expanding its portfolio of international clients with a focus on US, French, Japanese and Chinese clients. In addition to infringement proceedings, its range of services also includes nullity, opposition and appeal proceedings. With offices in Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich, the firm has a strong national presence and, with the opening of the Paris office in 2015, it has also created a direct link to the French market. The practice is jointly led by Christian Donle, Alexander Harguth, Daniel Hoppe, Christian Kau and Paris-based Konstantin Schallmoser.
Christian Donle; Alexander Harguth; Daniel Hoppe; Christian Kau; Konstantin Schallmoser
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Haberl; Matthias Hülsewig; Axel Oldekop
‘The law firm Preu Bohlig consists of an experienced and powerful team, whose expertise and quality of work is in no way inferior to large international law firms, but has the advantage of being boutique-style with regards to speed and flexibility.’
‘Excellent knowledge in German-French infringement procedures.’
‘Fast and professional processing, especially in complex and international disputes.’
‘Christian Kau possesses a great willingness to get familiar with even technically complex circumstances. The collaboration with him is very uncomplicated and he works very goal-oriented and pragmatic.’
‘Matthias Hülsewig and Christian Kau: qualified and confident answering of legal matters. Pragmatic approach and excellent reachability.’
‘Christian Kau and Axel Oldekop are characterised by precise work and comprehensive knowledge.’
‘Axel Oldekop and Andreas Haberl are outstanding litigators with client interests-oriented advice and good technical understanding.’
Badische Stahlwerke GmbH
EMG Automation GmbH
Fresenius Medical Care Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
PII Pipetronix GmbH
Silgan Closures GmbH
- Legal representation of the Badische Stahlwerke GmbH as defendant in comprehensive patent infringement proceedings at the OLG Karlsruhe (Higher Regional Court) with simultaneous invalidation proceedings.
- Legal representation of GIRARD SUDRON in patent infringement proceedings concerning LED lights and LED lightbulbs as well as in the simultaneous EPA-appeal proceedings.
- Legal representation of WashTec Holding in patent infringement proceedings against a Spanish competitor concerning the patent for tyre washing components, a strategically important case for the client.
Simmons & Simmons continues to successfully expand its TMT offering as the second pillar of its practice without losing its traditional strength in the life sciences sector. Biotechnological patents and IP rights at the intersection with electronics and life sciences, such as e-cigarette rights, are among the team's main areas of expertise, while disputes with a focus on antitrust law, most notably those pertaining to standard essential patents, are also part of its offering. Thanks to the firm's international presence, the German team led by Peter Meyer receives a regular flow of cross-border work.
Other key lawyers:
Ina vom Feld
‘International orientation, quick and focused working method, many years of experience concerning IP-disputes.’
‘Strongly established international team in the most important European countries, especially through the reinforcement in France and Italy. Always appear well interconnected.’
‘The partners are very motivated, have a broad understanding of the underlying technical circumstances and can work out the crucial points very well.’
‘Peter Meyer as well as Ina vom Feld are always available for the client, are very focused and two very pleasant personalities to work with.’
HTC Corp., HTC Europe
- Advice on patent law to Acelity concerning a wound care product.
- Legal representation of Firecomms in infringement and cancellation procedures concerning patents for optoelectronics.
- Legal representation of Helios Ventilatoren in infringement and cancellation procedures concerning patents for facade elements.
Vossius & Partner
Vossius & Partner's mixed team of patent attorneys and solicitors is particularly noted for the rapid expansion of its Düsseldorf office, which complements its Munich-based litigation team. The group is often entrusted with extensive series of lawsuits, including proceedings against patent exploitation and against competitors, and has many years of experience in nullity and opposition proceedings. The team remains active in its core sector life sciences but is also increasingly establishing itself as the firm of choice for telecommunications sector clients. Key individuals include Andreas Kramer (mobile communications, pharmaceuticals, life sciences and mechanics), Johann Pitz (medical devices and technology, among others), Georg Andreas Rauh (life sciences, pharmaceuticals, electronics and mechanics), Kai Rüting (electronics, medical technology and life sciences) and Thure Schubert (life sciences, pharmaceuticals and medical devices).
‘We appreciate Vossius & Partner for their highly professional and honest approach to the cases. They avoid promising unreachable results, providing instead objective analysis and suggestions. They realistically highlight strengths and weaknesses, advising us on the best way to successfully proceed. We value a lot this counseling method, since it allows us to make informed decision.‘
‘Our references are Dr Kai Rüting, senior lawyer and partner of the firm, and Mr Philipp Widera, both qualified and well prepared attorneys. In addition, we are in contact with their assistant, Inga Schirdewahn. They are always very professional and willing to support us, providing fast answer but highly skilled. We have a relationship based on trusted interaction, we discuss issues and share our views, to set the best combination of legal requirements and company needs.‘
Atnahs Pharma UK Ltd.
Boston Scientific Corp.
CJ Cheiljedang Corp.
MAS Elektrotechnik AG
ZTE Corp. / ZTE Deutschland GmbH
- Legal representation of ResMed in several infringement proceedings against Fisher Paykel in Germany, as well as the coordination of the German proceedings with the proceedings in the USA, Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia.
- Legal representation of the defendant WIKO in a comprehensive series of lawsuits against Philips, among them four standard-essential patents out of the twelve patents considered in the dispute.
- Legal representation of the defendant ZTE Deutschland in several infringement procedures initiated by INVTE SP concerning UMTS- and Wifi-technology.
Among Germany's large patent law practices, Baker McKenzie's team led by Jochen Herr is the only team to have a practice head admitted both as patent attorney and attorney-at-law. Similarly, its senior associates include two dual qualified lawyers, one in computer science and one in physics. With co-head Günter Pickrahn, the team also has a partner experienced in arbitration. The team's close integration with its international patent law offering can be seen in the numerous cross-border proceedings with a particular geographical focus on Europe, the US and China.
Jochen Herr; Günter Pickrahn
‘The team works mostly with double-qualified lawyers and patent rights lawyers. This offers the best opportunities for collaboration. This is where technical understanding is merging nicely with legal experience.’
‘The lawyers are highly professional practitioners, who are able to quickly analyse and comprehend complex circumstances.’
‘Jochen Herr: High responsiveness, experience and implementation regarding proceeding details and the proceeding strategy.’
Becton Dickinson & Company
Giesecke & Devrient GmbH
Grundfos Holding A/S
Mayer + Cie.
swiss e-technic ag
- Legal representation of RealD Inc. in several EPA-appeal and patent infringement proceedings concerning patents for cinema devices.
- Legal representation of Giesecke & Devrient GmbH in several patent infringement procedures, one of them led in close collaboration with the US-offices against the US government.
- Legal representation of TMG Automotive in a German patent infringement procedure and the EPA-appeal procedure running parallel to it.
Boehmert & Boehmert
The litigation team at Boehmert & Boehmert is increasingly gaining an independent profile and was able to expand its international client portfolio, most notably from the US and Asia, partly, but not only, by expanding existing prosecution mandates. The combined expertise of attorney-at-law and patent attorneys under one roof enables the team to handle a wide range of patent law work, which, due to its prosecution experience, includes contentious proceedings as well as assistance in optimising and monetising patent portfolios. Carl-Richard Haarmann and Michael Rüberg jointly head the team.
Carl-Richard Haarmann; Michael Rüberg
Johnson & Johnson
Lohmann & Rauscher
Nazdar Inc., USA
Shanghai North Glass
- Legal representation and out-of-court advice to Aeritas LLC on disputes against several airline companies concerning patents for Mobile Boarding.
- Legal representation of JVC Kenwood Corporation in several patent infringement proceedings against reputable manufacturers of DVD players.
- Defence of the defendant Nazdar Inc., USA in a patent infringement procedure concerning printer ink.
Gleiss Lutz mainly acts in infringement and opposition proceedings but also advises on nullity procedures. With Matthias Sonntag in the lead, the team covers electronics and telecommunications sector work as well as mandates from the pharmaceutical, chemical and medical device industries. Acting in contentious proceedings, including FRAND issues, is a key element of expertise for the team, while other strengths lie in employee invention matters and instructions on technology transfers and licensing agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Hengeler Mueller's patent law practice and its bench of counsels in particular was expanded with the respective appointment of IP expert Benedikt Migdal in January 2019. As well as its strength in pharmaceutical and telecommunications sector work, the team led by Wolfgang Kellenter also handles a large number of instructions from the chemical and mechanical engineering sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Superior in every way.’
Saint-Gobain Abrasive GmbH
- Legal representation of FIPA in a patent infringement procedure against HTC concerning Hitachi-patents.
- Legal representation of the US-chip manufacturer Maxim Integrated as intervener in patent infringement proceedings between Fundamental Innovation Systems International LLC and Samsung Electronics GmbH.
- Advice and legal representation of Concept Laser as intervener in two patent infringement proceedings between BEGO and Catspeed GmbH and another patent infringement procedure led by a BEGO customer.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek predominately acts for medium-sized companies from a diverse mix of industries in infringement proceedings as well as corresponding nullity proceedings, particularly appeal procedures before the Federal Court of Justice (BGH). As well as medical technology patents, the team also handles mechanical and plant engineering alongside packaging and life sciences sector matters. Team head Anton Horn is the main contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Anton Horn is leading the department with a lot of enthusiasm. The associates possess a very good know-how and prepare the cases with meticulous care.’
‘Anton Horn: His management of mandates is unique. He always gives a good overview of the state of proceedings and informs about the next steps and options. At the same time he keeps an eye on the general overview.’
Brødrene Hartmann A/S
Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co. KG (Deutschland)
- Legal representation of the complainant Brødrene Hartmann A/S in two proceedings against a German-US-American competitor and a Finnish-Dutch competitor concerning a patent for the protection of egg packaging.
- Legal representation of Echosens SA in a legal dispute against a Chinese competitor concerning patents for the protection of ultrasound devices used for clinical diagnostics of the liver.
- Legal representation of the EnerDry A/S as complainant in an infringement procedure against a German competitor concerning the patents for the protection of biomass-drying plants.
As a mixed law and patent firm, Hoffmann Eitle provides wide-ranging assistance with patents. Its strength lies in life sciences work but the team is also becoming increasingly visible in other sectors. Holger Stratmann and Dirk Schüßler-Langeheine jointly head the practice.
Holger Stratmann; Dirk Schüßler-Langeheine
Led by Marco Stief, MAIWALD PATENTANWALTS- UND RECHTSANWALTSGESELLSCHAFT MBH has a fine reputation in the market. Much of its work pertains to disputes in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors but the team also has a strong profile for proceedings concerning technology patents. Clients also benefit from the firm's expansion of its engineering practice.
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
IRES Infrarot Energiesystem GmbH
P4 automotive handels GmbH
The Regents of the University of California
- Legal representation of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories in several disputes, among them a patent infringement procedure against AstraZeneca concerning the drug Fulvestrant and in an injunctive process against Gilead concerning the HIV-drug Truvada.
- Legal representation of the Hexal AG in an injunctive process against Merck Sharpe Dohme and a simultaneous cancellation procedure concerning the active agent combination INEGY®.
- Legal representation of the IRES Infrarot Energiesystem GmbH in an infringement procedure concerning a heating plate patent.
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
With the arrival of practice head Marc Holtorf in 2015, Pinsent Masons Germany LLP has established itself as a strong patent practice. In line with the firm's overall sector focus, the patent team focuses on advising clients from the life sciences, technology and energy sectors. Handling disputes financed by litigation funders is another notable aspect of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Accord Healthcare Limited
Advanced Media Networks LLC
MADAG Printing Systems
Neovasc Tiara Inc
- Legal representation of ACCORD Healthcare in an injunctive process and patent infringement proceedings against Eli Lilly concerning Biosimilar Pemetrexed.
- Legal representation of the Advanced Media Networks, LLC in invalidation proceedings concerning the patent on the tethering-functionality of mobile communication devices.
- Legal representation of Enovsys LLC in long-standing patent infringement proceedings and invalidation appeal proceedings against the Deutsche Telekom AG.
Munich IP boutique AMPERSAND Rechtsanwaelte LLP headed by Hosea Haag has extensive technical expertise and many years of litigation experience, acting for both plaintiffs and defendants. Much of its work comes from telecommunications sector clients, particularly patent exploitaters.
Other key lawyers:
‘High technical competence, fast response, very trustworthy.’
‘Hosea Haag is very efficient and practice-oriented.’
‘Hosea Haag is one of the most experienced litigators on the German market and is equally appreciated by colleagues, judges and clients. Strong on organisation and strong in court. A dream come true for any client!’
Accord Healthcare Ltd.
Conversant Wireless Licensing S.à.r.l.
DAF Truck N.V.
DT Swiss AG
Human Care Nederland B.V.
Lux Lighting S.á.r.l.
Uniloc Deutschland GmbH
- Legal representation of the BlueID GmbH in a patent infringement procedure concerning a patent for the protection of an identification system of a software platform which manages complex security systems.
- Legal representation of Cobham plc in four patent infringement proceedings in the telecommunication sector against a US-American competitor.
- Legal representation of Conversant Wireless Licensing S.à.r.l. in several patent infringement procedures in Germany.
CBH Rechtsanwälte Cornelius, Bartenbach, Haesemann & Partner stands out for its high degree of specialisation in employee law but also excels in patent litigation, including infringement and validity proceedings. The team's particular strength lies in the segments electronics, mechanical engineering, chemistry and medical technology, while advising on licensing projects alongside research and development contracts is another key element of the practice jointly led by Jens Kunzmann and Stephan Gruber.
Jens Kunzmann; Stephan Gruber
Other key lawyers:
Hannes Jacobsen; Martin Quodbach
Phoenix Contact GmbH & Co KG
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co KG
Siemens Healthcare GmbH
Süddeutsche Gelenkscheibenfabrik GmbH & Co KG
Wacker Chemie AG
- Legal representation of Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG in patent infringement proceedings and simultaneous validity proceedings on valve technology in combustion engines.
- Support on cross-border vindication actions of a US patent at German courts.
Eisenführ Speiser is a mixed legal and patent firm and, as such, handles a wide range of patent law work spanning various sectors. Its client portfolio includes several chemical, medical technology, electrical engineering and automotive sector players, who benefit from the team's expertise in infringement and validity proceedings. Key individuals include Rainer Böhm (particular strength in international disputes concerning the US and India), Julian Eberhardt, Volkmar Henke (mobile technology and communications technology, image processing and audio coding, among others), Harald Förster and Tilman Müller (standard essential patents, arbitration and licensing disputes, among others).
‘The patent rights team at Eisenführ Speiser is very customer-oriented and focused on the business-model of the client. The lawyers possess vast industry knowledge, outstanding technical knowledge and an international outlook. Communication and results are excellent.’
‘Volkmar Henke is an excellent partner and strategist.’
Avery Zweckform GmbH
Gemalto M2M GmbH
HOYA Surgical Optics GmbH
Joyson Safety Systems
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
LUNOS Lüftungstechnik GmbH für Raumluftsysteme
Via Licensing Corporation
- Legal representation of the claimant Werner & Mertz GmbH in vindication actions regarding a patent on ecological cleaning agents.
- Coordination of several patent infringement proceedings in China by the Symrise AG against different competitors concerning cosmetics patents.
- Legal representation of the defendant Nordson Corporation in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Baumer hhs concerning a semi-automatic system for adhesive application.
Hamburg IP boutique Harmsen Utescher is one of the oldest and most renowned names in the market. The team advises on patent and design law matters with particular expertise in the chemical, pharmaceutical and mechanical engineering sectors alongside IT matters and physics. As a mixed law and patent firm, it is adept at handling a wide range of patent law work.
Other key lawyers:
Linklaters' team is an integral part of the firm's international patent law practice and thus works closely with its colleagues from the London, Brussels and Paris offices. For proceedings with parallel actions in the US, the practice also regularly cooperates with other firms. Acting for pharmaceutical clients is a primary focus but the team has also been increasingly active in other sectors such as the semiconductor industry. Julia Schönbohm heads the growing practice from Frankfurt.
Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB
Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB is particularly active in mobile communications-related disputes but also handles work from a range of other sectors. With Tobias Wuttke in the lead, the team is not only well placed to guide clients through national disputes but also cross-border proceedings. The steady expansion of its client portfolio, including well-known names, shows the positive development of the practice. The litigation team also benefits from the expertise of its in-house patent lawyers and prosecution experts.
‘Honesty, transparency, smart advice, quick responses and the feeling, that our case is important to the law firm.’
‘Tobias Wuttke: He works competently, efficiently, goal-oriented and always with a friendly and helpful manner.’
Acandis GmbH & Co KG
Big Belly Inc.
BMA Braunschweigische Maschinenbauanstalt AG
Deutsche Telekom AG
Illinois Tool Works
Stowe Woodward AG
Villeroy & Boch AG
- Comprehensive support to the medical device manufacturer Acandis GmbH & Co. KG by lawyers and patent lawyers.
- Legal representation of Big Belly Inc. in a patent infringement procedure at the OLG München (Higher Regional Court) concerning solar technology patents with a simultaneous cancellation procedure.
- Legal representation of the BMA Braunschweigische Maschinenbauanstalt AG in invalidation appeal proceedings at the BGH (Federal Court) and in EPA-appeal proceedings as well as in the simultaneously ongoing infringement procedure.