Patent litigation in Germany
With its sizeable team of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law, Bird & Bird LLP remains on top of the market. The combination of longstanding experience in assisting with comprehensive patent litigation, particularly also in cross-border disputes, and deep expertise in the life sciences, automotive, consumer goods and retail sectors as well as technology and telecommunication industries render the team a popular choice for an impressive number of large German and international corporations. Matters entailing US and European components are part of the group's day-to-day business. The team is particularly well versed in advising on standard-essential patents, not least due to its seasoned in-house antitrust team. Christian Harmsen heads the team from the Düsseldorf office. Very experienced litigator Oliver Jan Jüngst and life sciences and electronics specialist Anna Wolters-Höhne in Hamburg are key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
B. Braun Melsungen
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Neo Performance Materials
Nestlé Nutrition AG
- Broadcom: Ongoing representation and advice in numerous patent infringement, opposition and nullity proceedings against various companies.
- Canon Inc.: Representation against various toner manufacturers in the Europe-wide enforcement of property rights relating to toner cartridges.
- Nokia: Numerous infringement cases against Lenovo and other disputes.
Hogan Lovells International LLP continues to be a market leader for extensive, often international, patent infringement proceedings. The practice is particularly visible in life sciences matters, but also assists with pioneering proceedings in the technology, telecommunications, automotive and consumer goods sectors. Mobile communications, chip technology and mechanics specialist Oliver Bäcker and patent lawyer Felipe Zilly, whose special areas of expertise include life sciences as well as mechanics- and telecoms-related issues, made counsel in January 2020. The trio on top of the IPMT group is composed of soft IP expert Burkhart Goebel in Hamburg as global head; life sciences and pharma specialist Miriam Gundt in Düsseldorf as head of the European IPMT practice; and equally Hamburg-based soft IP specialist Andreas Bothe. The renowned Andreas von Falck in Düsseldorf and the Munich-based Steffen Steininger (both extensively active in IP and patent law) and patent litigator Benjamin Schröer are part of the core group. Counsel Anna-Katharina Friese in Hamburg is very experienced in coordinating international infringement proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
' Hogan Lovell's IP team offers expertise at a fair price. The group answers my questions comprehensively, gives solid advice and is very responsive. '
' Benjamin Schröer is a rising star. He is very attentive and circumspect and is very good at filling his cases, only using the older partners when necessary and bringing in his associates very effectively. '
' They offer quick and accurate answers tailored to the problem at hand, without becoming abstract or uselessly generalizing. '
' Andreas von Falck has proven his outstanding ability to lead and coordinate a team of young and experienced lawyers in order to meet the client's wishes quickly and precisely. He always answers faster than expected and always gets straight to the point with his answers. '
' One of the strongest teams in Germany with talent at all levels. '
' Miriam Gundt is an experienced litigator who gives excellent advice and has a very good presence in court. '
' Andreas von Falck is one of the best patent lawyers in Germany, with impressive knowledge, creativity and great speaking talent. '
' Stephan Neuhaus is a promising young consultant. '
' Strong in technical understanding, strategically versed, readily available. '
'In addition to excellent professional advice in Germany, Hogan Lovells also offers the strengths of a major international law firm. Hogan Lovells can make full use of the excellent quality in many countries, especially in multinational litigation. '
' Martin Fähndrich has industry-renowned expertise in the field of SEP and FRAND. '
Bruker und Luxendo
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG und Genentech Inc.
Friedr. Ischebeck GmbH
LGE und LG Display
Peiker acustic GmbH
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG and Genentech Inc.: Advice and representation in several important patent enforcement cases.
- Ford: Defense in an infringement suit before the Düsseldorf Regional Court, which was also filed by Innovative Foundry Technologies against VW and Texas Instruments.
- Peiker Acoustic GmbH: Advice and representation in more than ten patent infringement proceedings filed against Daimler's client at the Mannheim, Munich and Düsseldorf regional courts.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER is continuously firm of choice for the biggest matters on the market. The firm's international approach and the sizeable team's technical versatility enable the group to assist with complex cross-border disputes reaching as far as the representation in European Court of Justice proceedings. The life sciences and telecoms sectors are part of the team's core expertise, although the practice group around Martin Köhler also acts for clients in the electronics, automotive, optics and mechanics industries. Klaus Haft, whose expertise includes matters pertaining to semiconductor technology, electronics and software, and Christine Kanz, whose particular focus lies on biotechnology, chemicals and pharmaceutics, enjoy an excellent market reputation.
Other key lawyers:
' Hoyng ROKH Monegier is one of the best IP litigation firms in Europe in my opinion. The lawyers are very experienced, creative, open to new ideas and very easy to reach. The law firm is just the right size to handle large proceedings without losing its personal touch. '
' Hoyng ROKH Monegier is a very strong patent law firm in Germany. They are excellent at developing dispute strategies in order to achieve the best possible outcome for their clients. This also includes in-depth knowledge of the various dishes. The law firm knows which court will quickly decide which is particularly good for a particular technology or the complexity of a case. They know the patent judges very well and can therefore give very informative advice. Your preparation for the fall is second to none. You are an excellent litigator with a very effective appearance in court and always involve the client in important decisions. '
' Klaus Haft is an absolute expert and this is reflected in his work. He grasps the intricacies of technology extremely quickly and is able to understand the complex legal and technical problems of a case immediately. He also has a keen sense of the overall strategy of a case and is very good at developing effective strategies to achieve his clients' goals. '
' Mirko Weinert gave us excellent advice on our cases and supported us very well in the dispute. '
Adlon Brand GmbH & Co. KG.
Dr. Kurt Wolff
EOS – Energy of Smooth
- Airbus: Advice on the protection and enforcement of rights to the interior fittings of aircraft cabins, taking into account patent, design and competition aspects; Advice on protection and enforcement of the protection of trade secrets.
- Fujifilm: Extensive and successful legal representation in two infringement and validity proceedings regarding digital inks against the US competitor Nazdar as well as representation in settlement negotiations.
- Gilead: Representation in a patent infringement dispute regarding two blockbuster products, including representation before the Grand Chamber of the ECJ regarding the interpretation of the SPC Regulation.
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB
Düsseldorf-based boutique offering Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB hit the headlines in 2019 when it successfully reached an anti-anti-suit-injunction for Nokia in its dispute against Continental. This nationally groundbreaking judgement was obtained by Cordula Schumacher and Arno Riße, who both jointly head the practice with name partner Bernhard Arnold. The team has longstanding experience in assisting with cross-border disputes, particularly in proceedings in relation to the US and European jurisdictions. The group advises clients from a variety of sectors, including telecoms companies, pharma corporations, medical products manufacturers, network technology specialists and chemicals clients among others.
' Arnold Ruess' team offers a partner-led advisory approach that is supported by what is probably a unique knowledge of the German court system. They are very easy to reach and uncomplicated. '
' Cordula Schumacher does the job of ten average lawyers. '
' Bernhard Arnold is reliable, pragmatic and solid. '
' Young, but nevertheless very experienced team, very motivated and legally versed, very good technical understanding even in complex injury issues. '
' Arno Riße: He gets deep into the subject (also technically), looks for optimal solutions. '
' The team combines the will to get to the bottom of things legally and technically, coupled with a high degree of creativity and specialist knowledge. '
' In comparison to their competitors, Bernhard Arnold and Cordula Schumacher are unbeatable. A deep understanding of patent law and the ability to completely resolve complex scientific issues as well as a good feel for pragmatic solutions. '
' What is surprising compared to some other law firms is the consistently high level of the team. It makes no real qualitative difference whether the respective mandate is handled by one or another member of the team; the end result is consistently of the highest level. '
' Bernhard Arnold stands out from the rest of the market in terms of its availability, the quality of the legal and technical analysis of the case and its written presentation. It's hard to find anything like it. '
' Arnold Ruess is one of the best law firms in Germany in the field of patent infringement proceedings with a young, passionate and committed team that has enormous technical and legal knowledge and knows how to use this strategically. '
' Cordula Schumacher is outstanding. She lives her cases with full commitment and great passion. Technically and strategically she is top. '
Alcon Laboratories Inc.
Edgewell Personal Care
Kingfa Sci. & Tech Co. Ltd
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd./ Sony Interactive Entertainment Deutschland GmbH
VARTA Microbattery GmbH
- Nokia: Obtaining the first anti-anti-suit injunction against Continental Automotive Systems, Inc./Continental AG from a German court; followed by similar decisions in France and the United Kingdom.
- Sanofi: Enforcement of a patent on an insulin injection pen against a biosimilar from Mylan by obtaining an injunction. Coordinated numerous proceedings in several countries.
- SISVEL: Representing the client in a leading FRAND proceeding after the ECJ proceeding Huawei / ZTE; the first BGH proceedings on this subject, which will result in a landmark judgment.
As a mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm, Bardehle Pagenberg possesses deep patent law expertise across a broad sector spectrum. One of the firm's features is its loyal client base which, alongside numerous multinationals and German corporations, also includes a considerable number of medium-sized companies. The firm is especially known for its strength in the automotive sector, which becomes particularly apparent in its activity in numerous connected car proceedings, in electronics patent as well as in software and telecommunications disputes, but has an equally good reputation for its advice to mechanical engineering clients, medical products manufacturers and pharmaceuticals companies as well as big sport articles corporations. Alongside its two German offices in Munich and Düsseldorf, the firm also has branches in Paris and Barcelona and cooperates with a reliable network of patent law teams in other jurisdictions. Its in-house antitrust lawyers make the team one of the first addresses for FRAND disputes in Germany. Dually qualified patent attorney and attorney-at-law Johannes Heselberger; Tilman Müller-Stoy who specialises in patent litigation; and Peter Chrocziel, who advises on all IP and IT law aspects, jointly head the team. Jan Bösing specialises in standard-essential patents and the commercial utilisation of patents and made partner in January 2020. In July 2020, the Düsseldorf office welcomed Alexander Haertel from Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte.
' Bardehle is characterized by an extraordinary cooperation, so that working together always feels like' a team 'and never like working with an external law firm. This often makes the difference in disputes, as there is no friction loss in mutual coordination. A pragmatic and open approach, guided by strong strategic motives, is a strength of the entire firm. '
' For me, Tilman Müller-Stoy is by far the best IP litigator in Germany. I have seen many, but none of them bring this calm, this deep, well-founded specialist knowledge and also the excellent strategic ideas like Tilman Müller-Stoy. His high level of commitment and a very great affinity for the product continue to set him apart. '
' The Bardehle team is extremely knowledgeable, quick to react, efficient and powerful. You carry out projects quickly and within budget. '
'' Exceptional expertise and pragmatic, appropriate business-minded advice. As an integrated patent attorney and law firm, you have direct access to technical knowledge, which is a monetary advantage in expensive infringement proceedings. I trust in their reliability and they have never let me down. That is extremely rare. '
' Peter Chrocziel is very accessible and an excellent communicator. I appreciate his technical skills as well as his realistic, economic and pragmatic advice. '
' Jan Bösing is very smart and pragmatic and has a good business perspective, delves into the specifics of the industry and problems that affect us beyond our actual case. '
Cisco Systems Inc.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc.
Gerresheimer Regensburg GmbH
SK Hynix Inc.
Mo-Sys Engineering Ltd.
Robert Bosch GmbH
Topseat International Inc.
Velodyne Lidas Inc.
Wago Kontakttechnik GmbH
10X Genomics Inc.
- Amgen: Representation in a pharmaceutical patent dispute of great public interest against Sanofi and Regeneron; including injunction and main proceedings for compulsory licensing in several jurisdictions.
- BMW: Representation in a very extensive patent litigation complex of great public interest in the area of networked driving regarding infotainment systems in cars based on ten patents from Broadcom / Avago; parallel annulment suits pending; several interveners from the supply chain. Various parallel US Discovery processes.
- Bosch: Representation in the extensive Nokia / Daimler patent litigation as an intervener of Daimler, a total of ten proceedings before the regional courts of Munich I, Mannheim and Düsseldorf from the 2G, 3G and 4G patent portfolio.
Since its inception in 2016, the Düsseldorf team at Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte has gained a solid position in Germany's patent law market and is regularly instructed with highly complex, often cross-border matters of high economic importance. Under the leadership of managing partner Miriam Kiefer, the group assists a significant number of large German and international companies across a broad sector spectrum, ranging from medical products specialists to electrotechnology manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, automotive suppliers, retail as well as chemicals and electronics corporations. The team's core includes name partner Peter Kather (by now senior partner; focus on mechanical engineering, telecoms, chemicals and biotechnology) and Christof Augenstein (electronics, telecoms, medical technology and automotive) as well as Christopher Weber (software, electronics, chemicals, pharma, mechanics and plastics processing). Alexander Haertel joined Bardehle Pagenberg in July 2020.
' Kather Augenstein offers excellent advice with regard to the special requirements of the client and possible future steps in extensive proceedings with several patents. The law firm is very flexible and client-oriented and therefore very uncomplicated to work with. This is particularly important when complex legal-technical issues with an international framework, if necessary, require work in large teams. '
' Peter Kather stands out due to his great experience and calm negotiation. '
' Christof Augenstein is very client-oriented and has a comprehensive view of both legal and technical aspects, even on complex cases. '
' Miriam Kiefer is also an excellent attorney to be recommended in patent matters. '
' High level of professionalism and quick responses. '
' Peter Kather's calm, thorough, but determined approach to his cases is unique. '
' All of them reliable contacts. '
' Peter Kather is an experienced IP attorney with the courage to make decisions, even if they do not fall within his area of expertise. '
' The Kather Augenstein team is outstanding. Compact but highly specialized in patent infringement proceedings. '
' Christof Augenstein and Christopher Weber are excellent. '
' For a German boutique, they have a good size in terms of the number of partners and are therefore able to carry out big ticket procedures. '
' Peter Kather is an elder statesman with unparalleled experience in the German patent litigation market. '
' Kather Augenstein is a boutique with outstanding qualities in the field of patent litigation. In addition to excellent craftsmanship, the team also has the creativity to develop new instruments to ward off unauthorized attacks. Anyone who wants to break new ground in defense is well served by Kather Augenstein. '
' Peter Kather and Christof Augenstein are the partners of choice. In cases that seem hopeless at the beginning, I urgently recommend Kather Augenstein as the law firm and both partners to be involved in a first case conference. This combination is unique in Germany in terms of experience, expertise and creativity. '
HTC Germany GmbH
- DWS Srl.: Representation in infringement proceedings against Formlabs GmbH due to three patents in all cross-border proceedings in close cooperation with Italian patent attorneys.
- Leading German chemical and pharmaceutical company: Advice and representation in infringement proceedings in the field of bioreactor technology and inventions.
- A leader in China: Advice and representation regarding three technical property rights and FRAND issues
Krieger Mes & Graf v. der Groeben
Krieger Mes & Graf v. der Groeben remains one of the most important boutique offerings for patent infringement proceedings in Germany. Axel Verhauwen is particularly known for its successful advice on patent exploitation.
Other key lawyers:
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP possesses broad sector expertise, a large team and longstanding experience in highly international disputes. Disputes entailing US components are a particular strength of the firm. The team around practice head Marcus Grosch, who is based in Munich, stands out for its deep expertise in assisting with both infringement as well as validity proceedings. The representation of Daimler in connected car disputes is the most recent example of the team's involvement in pioneering matters. With offices in Munich, Mannheim and its continuously growing Stuttgart presence, that was recently strengthened by Jesko Preuß' partner promotion in January 2020, the group is geographically well positioned in Germany. Johannes Bukow in Mannheim is another key contact. Both focus on national and international patent litigation.
' Fast, reliable and solid pleadings. Able to oversee complex procedures. '
'' Very high level of competence in the field of litigation / negotiation. '
' Very talented and experienced in patent infringement proceedings, efficient, always available and with quick solutions. Good economic understanding and an eye for the needs of the client. '
' Marcus Grosch: Excellent and eloquent patent lawyer, good business acumen and strong negotiator. '
Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1
Jennewein Biotechnologie GmbH
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TSMC)
- Daimler AG: Representing the client as the defendant in four patent infringement proceedings against Conversant Wireless Licensing S.á.rl, each relating to an alleged infringement of their patents which have been declared to be standard essential; Part of the connected car process.
- BlackBerry Inc.: Representing the client as a plaintiff in patent infringement proceedings against Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram regarding five patents in the field of instant messaging and GUI functionality.
- Qualcomm Inc.: Representing the client against Apple in a series of legal validity proceedings before the BPatG and the EPO.
Rospatt Osten Pross is one of the most experienced practices in Germany. With a combination of sector expertise, with particular focuses on the pharma and biotech sectors as well as the telecoms, electronics and automotive industries, and a partner-led approach, the firm represents a popular choice for large international and German corporations but also medium-sized companies. The group is involved in both company-critical as well as smaller matters. With the partner promotion of Markus Lenßen (focus on technical protection rights) in January 2020, the already broad partner league has gained additional clout. Key figures include Thomas Musmann, Henrik Timmann, Rüdiger Pansch, Max von Rospatt and Hetti Hilge, all of whom advise comprehensively on patent law.
Other key lawyers:
' Excellent IP boutique in Düsseldorf, extremely arguing and purposeful. '
' Henrik Timmann is an outstanding patent expert with never-ending perseverance and creativity. '
' Very solid work and technical understanding. Cost-efficient because , unlike in large law firms, mandates are processed by a single lawyer. Long-term stable support. '
' Henrik Timmann is a very thorough and reliable lawyer who is particularly good at preparing briefs in complex proceedings. '
' The Rospatt team feels like the natural extension of our in-house team, the only difference being that they are at a different location. '
' Max von Rospatt is a good speaker who has a good overview to predict the outcome of a case. '
' The Rospatt law firm is characterized by the outstanding quality of its work, its legal expertise and its ability to quickly familiarize itself with highly complex technical issues. The Rospatt law firm spearheads the best of the best in the field of intellectual property law. '
' Henrik Timmann, who uncompromisingly unmasked weaknesses in opposing arguments with his high level of comprehension in legal and technical terms and his clear manner, stands out. His pleadings are clear and concise and always easy and pleasant to read – in other words: they are convincing, which is reflected in the results in the form of the court decisions. '
' Hetti Hilge and Thomas Musmann are extremely well-versed, and their precise, persistent, yet binding and friendly manner always attracts the benevolent attention of the court. '
Rhodia Chimie (Solvay)
Mohawk Group (u.a. Flooring Industries, Unilin, Pergo)
ETEX (vorm. Promat)
Dr. Falk Pharma
- Illuminate: Representing the client in defense of the patent portfolio against the entry of the Chinese company MGI in the field of DNA sequencers in Germany.
- Biogen/Samsung Biologics: Representing the client in a dispute initiated by several biosimilar providers to withdraw the Humira biosimilar from the market by the joint venture between Biogen and Samsung Biologics; parallel proceedings in Great Britain, Denmark, Italy and France.
- LG Electronics: Representing the client as the defendant in an infringement procedure brought by IP Bridge for alleged infringement of three standard essential 4G patents before the LG Mannheim.
Taylor Wessing distinguishes itself from its competitors through a broad coverage of office locations across Europe. With offices in Germany, the Netherlands, UK, France, Austria and several Eastern European countries as well as reliable relationships with other firms in jurisdictions without its own office, the firm is perfectly equipped to assist with highly international litigation and subsequently offers longstanding experience in the coordination of cross-border disputes. Other geographical focuses lie on the US, Japan and China as well as Taiwan and South Korea. With the arrival of salary partner Philipp Krusemarck, who joined from DLA Piper at the end of 2019, the automotive, telecoms and high-tech practice was further strengthened. Pharma and life sciences matters as well as IT-related disputes also form part of the team's core expertise; Christian Lederer heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
' Litigation teams in patent disputes are put together flexibly and depending on the situation; Fast and excellent advice also in related areas of law that become relevant in the short term in connection with patent disputes, e.g. antitrust law and competition law. '
' Sabine Rojahn: Extraordinary experience in patent disputes, unerring eye for what is feasible. '
' Christian Lederer: Very good technical understanding in patent disputes; exceptional commitment; strong focus on client needs. '
' Gisbert Hohagen: Outstanding technical understanding in patent disputes; concise briefs; particularly good, understandable preparation of complex technical issues for non-technical judges. '
' In the field of intellectual property law, Taylor Wessing offers a reliable, powerful team that is characterized by high technical competence and a very pleasant working style. The lawyers are not shy about dealing with very complex technical issues. The advice is always at the highest level. The collaboration with patent attorneys, which is often required in this area, is always fair and smooth, thus guaranteeing optimal support for clients. With this outstanding overall package of services and work style, Taylor Wessing definitely stands out in the market. '
' Anja Lunze: A very reliable partner, whose constant high level of work and performance can be relied on at any time. We really appreciate her careful working style and her friendly nature, which makes every collaboration very enjoyable . '
' Christoph de Coster: Always a pleasure to fight disputes with him. Quick comprehension and a creative working style characterize Mr. de Coster. '
' The Taylor Wessing team has a broad base and is familiar with all matters relating to intellectual property. '
' Jan Phillip Rektorschek: Fast feedback and good, clear processing of issues. '
' Very competent lawyers who cater to the needs and strategies of clients. '
' Gisbert Hohagen: Very competent in judicial and extrajudicial IP infringement proceedings with in-depth knowledge, including in foreign IP proceedings. '
' Excellent quality; very comprehensive, absolutely honest and transparent advice; noticeably no pushing in legal disputes, no sales-oriented, but success-driven advice. No 'I know everything and better' attitudes, but also reference to colleagues who work in a neighboring area and are more experienced there; also many free services; high availability and availability. '
' Gisbert Hohagen: quality fanatic; real 24/7 availability; very good manners with clients; Honesty; extreme expertise; very ambitious, but not dogged. Responsive; wants to understand everything, even complicated technology, he is not satisfied beforehand. Very capable of working in a team, which makes larger lawsuits with patent attorneys and possibly several lawyers pleasant. He doesn't play the top dog, but wants to be better than the opponent in the matter. '
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Inc.
Sprick Bielefelder Papier- und Wellpappenwerke
- Abbott Laboratories: Advising and representing the plaintiff in two patent infringement proceedings against Edwards Lifesciences regarding heart valve repair devices; parallel proceedings in Europe.
- GlobalFoundries: Representing the plaintiff in patent infringement proceedings against Apple, Qualcomm and EBV in Mannheim and Düsseldorf as well as representing the client as defendant and counter-plaintiff in patent infringement suits by TSMC in Munich and Mannheim.
- Metatron: Successful representation in nullity appeal and non-admission complaint proceedings before the BGH, based on patent infringement proceedings against Volkswagen AG for infringement of a basic patent relating to a gas injection system for natural gas vehicles.
Wildanger Kehrwald Graf v Schwerin & Partner mbB is an indispensable part of Germany's patent infringement market. The Düsseldorf-based boutique offering is known for its expertise in standard-essential patents and offers technical versatility. Pharma and life sciences matters form just as much part of its service offering as telecoms, mechanical engineering and electronics instructions.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP has a focus on cross-border proceedings which the German team under the leadership of Joachim Feldges and Jan Ebersohl also regularly coordinates. The Paris, London and German practice groups often jointly lead the advice. Both the life sciences and pharmaceuticals groups as well as the high-tech team of the practice grew by new instructions, although the group is also increasingly visible in the automotive sector. Special areas of expertise further include biotechnology matters and second medical use patents, which is not least down to the medical qualifications of several team members. Senior associate Denise Benz specialises in assisting with complex litigation. With the arrival of patent lawyer Stephan van der Vlugt in July 2020, the practice has strengthened its pharmaceuticals and biotechnology practice; he previously worked in-house at Bayer.
- Samsung Electronics: Representation of the client and several dealers in injunction and main proceedings against Varta regarding button cells for True Wireless headphones.
- Bayer: Representation in a major cross-border litigation against Ceva Santé Animale and its subsidiaries regarding a veterinary medicinal product for pigs.
- Eli Lilly: Representing a major cross-border litigation on an economically important innovative drug with high therapeutic value, including providing strategic advice and representation in the parallel proceedings in Great Britain and France.
CMS has managed to further expand its cooperation with the firm's international offices, thereby positioning its patent litigation practice even better for cross-border disputes. In Europe, the team strengthened its cooperation with offices in London, Spain, France and Benelux jurisdictions, while outside European borders the relationship with Chinese colleagues intensified. The team behind leadership duo Thomas Manderla in Düsseldorf and Jörn Witt in Hamburg also impresses with broad sector expertise, while instructions from automotive companies as well as pharmaceutical and medical products manufacturers continue to represent a high proportion of its caseload. The advice spectrum includes infringement, opposition, nullity and vindication procedures as well as strategic assistance.
DLA Piper combines experience in advising on simultaneous infringement and nullity proceedings with an internationally positioned patent law practice, which is reflected by Markus Gampp 's dual function as practice head in the Munich office and co-chair of the firm's global patent law practice. The team succeeded in 2019/2020 to develop even further, leading to several new large international cooperations trusting the practice to advise on challenging matters. The group's participation in a series of connected car litigation indicates its solid position in Germany's patent sphere. The life sciences practice is also increasingly sharpening its profile, particularly through attracting notable medical products and pharmaceutical companies as clients.
Other key lawyers:
Philipp Cepl; Constanze Krenz; Kokularajah Paheenthararajah
' DLA Piper's German patent litigation practice has clearly gained in profile with the addition of Philipp Cepl. He is an excellent and very experienced patent litigator. He is technically extremely competent and always has the goals and needs of the client in mind. '
Harman International Industries, Inc.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Harman International Industries, Inc.: Advice and representation in the series of lawsuits from Broadcom / Avago against Audi / VW, against Daimler and against BMW as well as in the series of lawsuits of Avanci members Sharp and Conversant against Daimler.
- Microsoft: Advice and representation in several patent infringement proceedings before the LG Mannheim in the context of the series of lawsuits initiated by Neodron regarding touchscreen technology. All Microsoft Surface products are under attack; also represented the client in the parallel legal validity proceedings and as an intervener in a proceeding against Lenovo.
- Extreme Networks: Advice and representation in several patent infringement and nullity proceedings relating to network technology; Obtaining a full dismissal of the action in the first instance before the LG Düsseldorf.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Other key lawyers:
Due to its team size, Grünecker is able to assist with and coordinate complex high-volume patent disputes. The mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm offers one-stop advice on infringement, opposition and nullity procedures combined with deep prosecution experience. The team also possesses broad sector expertise, including the automotive, mechanical engineering, semiconductor and electronics sectors among others. Martin Dropmann in Cologne and Patrick Erk in Berlin are among the core patent lawyers. The main attorney-at-law contacts are Ulrich Blumenröder and Bernd Allekotte in Munich who, alongside infringement procedures in the patent, brand and copyright spheres, also advise on several adjacent IP matters.
' Bernd Allekotte stands out due to his technical and legal experience in patent disputes. '
As an IP boutique offering and mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm, Hoffmann Eitle covers a broad sector array and offers comprehensive technical expertise. The group has particular strengths in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sectors, including biotechnology and medical products, but also regularly acts for telecoms companies and automotive clients in complex disputes. The firm's offices in Spain, the UK, Italy and the Netherlands signal the practice's international approach; its core expertise is the development and implementation of European dispute strategies. Dirk Schüßler-Langeheine and Holger Stratmann head the team and often lead advice on patent infringement matters. Mike Gruber, whose specialist areas of expertise include complementary protection certificates, made partner in January 2020.
' This team offers a fantastic combination of litigators and patent attorneys. For complex cases, this means that you are able to equip a team completely by yourself without having to call in an external patent law firm. The team has an excellent understanding of the economic impact of their results and is very pragmatic. They are also experts in pharmaceutical and regulatory issues. '
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc
- Sanofi/Regeneron: Defense in a complex injury dispute between research-based pharmaceutical companies over a cholesterol-lowering drug developed for approximately $ 2 billion.
- AstraZeneca: Patent enforcement against several generics companies, which led to a change in case law in favor of the originators in the event of infringement of second medical use patents.
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K. / Hamamatsu Photonics Deutschland: Representing the client as the defendant in a dispute initiated by Leica Biosystems regarding a microscope scanner; including parallel mutual nullity suits and a counterclaim by the client.
Jones Day's German practice is led by Christian Paul and Gerd Jaekel, of which are both dually qualified as attorney-at-law as well as patent lawyers (chemistry and physics), which demonstrates how clearly embedded deep technical expertise and longstanding experience in litigious proceedings is on senior level. The caseload is dominated by cross-border instructions, while the practice is predestined for transatlantic matters through the relationship with its US colleagues and here particularly advises on extensive litigation complexes. The group has a sector focus on the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology sectors, but is generally broadly positioned across industries.
' Outstanding sector strength with very pleasant and professional cooperation in complex and international mandates. '
Celgene Corp. und Tochterunternehmen
Lufthansa Technik AG / Astronics, Panasonic und andere
Akebia Therapeutics, Inc.
CJ CheilJedang Corp., Südkorea
Puma Biotechnology, Inc.
BioMarin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Tung Thih Elec-tronic (TTE) Co. Ltd. / Valeo
Idenix Pharma-ceuticals Inc. (Merck & Co., Inc.)
- Celgene Corp. and subsidiaries: Advice on litigation relating to patents for cancer drugs.
- Lufthansa Technik AG: Representation in a complex international patent infringement lawsuit against a US supplier of cabin electronics.
- CJ CheilJedang Corp.: Patent dispute over genetically engineered amino acids (tryptophan, mood enhancer).
From its offices in Munich and Düsseldorf, KLAKA Rechtsanwälte handles a caseload composed of infringement and nullity procedures. The practice primarily experienced growth in the mobile communications and automotive sectors, although instructions in the life sciences sector also increased. Under the leadership of the very experienced Olaf Giebe in Düsseldorf, the IP firm offers highly specialised expertise in standard-essential patents, longstanding experience in licence agreement negotiations and technical versatility alongside a close partner-engaged client relationship as well as expansive knowledge of Germany's most important patent infringement courts.
' Klaka is a renowned German law firm for patent litigation with offices in Munich and Düsseldorf. The highly specialized team represents a large number of well-known rights holders in the enforcement of their patents as well as a number of technology users in the defense against excessive license claims that are often made by patent exploiters. A special competence lies in the area of standard essential patents and in the antitrust compulsory license objection (FRAND), which plays a significant role in many proceedings in the field of telecommunications. '
' Olaf Giebe and Constantin Kurtz specialize in patent litigation in the electronics / telecommunications sector. A particular strength of the two lawyers is to recognize the essential aspects of highly complex patent litigation, to develop a tailor-made strategy for the further procedure and to correctly place the decisive arguments both in written pleadings and in oral negotiations. '
' Manageable, but very effective and experienced law firm with very personal contact with the client. Lawyers who can be reached at any time and have a high level of competence and commitment. '
' Olaf Giebe: Extremely experienced, can quickly familiarize himself with complex issues, very good negotiation strategy. Excellent care. '
' Stefan Eck: Very experienced, very committed. '
' Klaka's lawyers have the ability to delve deeply into any technical matter in patent infringement proceedings. '
' Constantin Kurtz gets to the bottom of every case and does not let up before he has understood every detail and put it into the overall context of the case. '
AVM Computersysteme Vertriebs GmbH
Dürr Dental SE
fischerwerke GmbH & Co. KG
Fränkische Rohrwerke und Fränkische Industrial Pipes
Oberalp-Gruppe (u.a. Salewa)
PILOUS spol. S.r.o.
SRAM LLC und SRAM Deutschland GmbH
Wiko Germany GmbH und Wiko SAS, Marseille, Frankreich
- fischerwerke GmbH & Co. KG: Successful defense of an important European patent on special fasteners for ceramic sanitary ware; Parallel proceedings in Italy and Turkey.
- Wiko Germany GmbH: Defense against 3G licensing before the Karlsruhe Higher Regional Court in a procedure based on European patent EP 0 960 542, which the plaintiff regards as essential for the LTE standard.
- SRAM LLC and SRAM Deutschland GmbH: Advice and representation in numerous infringement and legal status proceedings, often against Shimano, relating to electronic switching technologies.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner is traditionally active for bigger German medium-sized companies, but also advises numerous multinationals and is continuously expanding its international practice through close contacts with foreign patent law firms among other ways. With offices in four German cities as well as in Paris, the firm offers a comprehensive litigation practice that, alongside infringement procedures, also includes representation in validity proceedings. During the past three years, the practice has successfully repositioned itself, consistently supplemented the team and since 2020, also offers counsel positions as a career option. The leadership quartet includes Christian Donle in Berlin, who is extensively well versed in IP, Ludwig von Zumbusch in Munich, Daniel Hoppe in Hamburg and Christian Kau in Düsseldorf.
' Everyone is always available and approachable; There is a friendly tone both externally and internally; All the necessary information is available for each interview and the people are very well prepared. '
' Christian Kau: I particularly appreciate his direct and clear way of weighing up advantages and disadvantages in the context of processes; this helps immensely with upcoming strategic decisions. He is always on the subject in every detail. The cost accounting is always transparent, agreed and fair. '
'' Highest level of competence and maximum efficiency in the prosecution of the use of and infringement of property rights. Also with legal support in license negotiations, evaluation of existing and drafting of new license agreements, dispute resolution through out-of-court settlements / license agreements. '
' Christian Kau is absolutely outstanding. He has an extraordinarily high level of comprehension, the highest flexibility and processing speed with briefs. '
' Young, but already experienced colleagues, very committed, there is a lot of discussion in the team, questions are passed on internally to the most technically qualified colleague, ie the best possible advice / representation of the client is in the foreground and not the ego of the lawyer. Exchange with the lawyers is easy, especially good availability by telephone, very short response times. '
' Überhaus extensive and precise specialist knowledge, fast processing. '
' Daniel Hoppe: In patent litigation you are glad that he does not represent your opponent. In addition, an extremely friendly and competent advisor. '
' Outstanding competence and professional sovereignty. Absolute orientation towards the interests of the clients. '
' Alexander Harguth and Andreas Haberl are competent, confident, committed and creative. '
' We appreciate the national team and the great cooperation between the locations. '
' Christian Donle is outstanding. '
'' Fast and precise way of working; short response times; practical and problem-solving oriented; international networking, also with regard to patent attorneys, who are additionally involved in handling technical issues. '
' Christian Kau and Matthias Hülsewig: Quick and precise way of working, short response times and practical and problem-solving-oriented handling of the mandate. '
4Inno Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
BBP Kunststoffwerk Marbach Baier GmbH
BORA Vertriebs GmbH & Co. KG
Delta Electronics Inc. (Taiwan)
Fresenius Medical Care Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG
Hikma Pharma GmbH
James Hardie Europe GmbH (vormals Fermacell GmbH)
Koenig & Bauer MetalPrint GmbH
MEKRA Lang GmbH & Co. KG
NG Voice GmbH
Picote Solutions Oy
Uhrig Straße- und Tiefbau GmbH
Ventec Central Europe GmbH
Vodacom South Africa
- Brita GmbH: Representation in patent infringement proceedings against the manufacturer of replacement cartridges Aqua Select.
- Hikma Pharma GmbH: Representation in various (partly interim) proceedings with regard to the listing of Pemetrexed products against Eli Lilly.
- Huawei Ltd.: Ongoing representation to patent collecting societies in disputes about standard essential patents; Representation as an intervener in the Nokia-Daimler legal dispute.
Vossius & Partner
With its set-up as a mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm and offices in Düsseldorf and Munich, Vossius & Partner is well equipped for complex matters. Under the aegis of the Munich-based Thure Schubert (life sciences, pharmaceuticals and medical products), the group advises on a varied caseload that, alongside a high proportion of life sciences matters, also includes a considerable number of electronics, mechanical, technology and mobile communications instructions. Christian-Leopold Zapp is well versed in mechanical engineering, medical technology and life sciences and made partner in January 2020. Simultaneously, Johann Pitz changed into of counsel status.
Other key lawyers:
' The Vossius team has long been established in the litigation business and therefore has a solid wealth of experience. The law firm combines this with the in-depth expertise of its own prosecution team. '
' Johann Pitz is a very experienced litigator and very straightforward to deal with. '
' Very good team with excellent connections to the patent attorneys. The mixed legal and patent attorney practice is a clear strength. '
' I appreciate Thure Schubert, Kai Rüting, Andreas Kramer, Christian-Leopold Zapp and Johann Pitz. '
' High quality, easy to handle, popular as a German team in European and worldwide proceedings. '
' Kai Rüting stands out in the Vossius team and in the German market in general. He is thorough, reliable, very pleasant to work with, with a good eye for strategy and knowledge of the nuances and peculiarities of the various patent courts in Germany. '
' High quality one-stop shop with exceptionally good litigators and patent attorneys. They are always available and also extremely nice and uncomplicated. They take very good care of their clients. '
' Thure Schubert leads the legal team and is the mastermind behind the case strategy. Kai Rüting is also excellent and gives good, pragmatic and business-oriented advice. '
' The team is very responsive and detail-oriented, which I consider to be an important success factor. They were able to achieve very good results under time pressure. '
' Great know-how, strong commitment, always available. '
' Andreas Kramer accompanies us around the clock with a high level of commitment and a lot of know-how. He also moderates complex and difficult situations with several parties very confidently . '
Beijing Smartmi Technology Co. Ltd.
British American Tobacco
CJ Cheiljedang Corp.
ESET, spol. S r.o.
LG Electronics Inc.
MAS Elektrotechnik AG
Online Cleaning Technologies GmbH
Singulus Technologies AG
TCL Communication und weitere Unternehmen der TCL-Gruppe
U. Windmöller Consulting GmbH & Co. KG /
Windmöller Gruppe / Innovations4Flooring (I4F)
- 3M: Representation in several infringement proceedings before the LG Mannheim regarding abrasion particles, painting systems with spray guns, grist and dental materials.
- Beijing Smartmi Technology Co. Ltd.: Representation in an injunction against Philips regarding an electric toothbrush.
- British American Tobacco: Representation in two patent infringement proceedings against Philip Morris Products SA (CH) and Philip Morris GmbH (DE) before the Munich Regional Court.
Baker McKenzie focuses on the representation in simultaneous infringement and validity proceedings. With practice head Jochen Herr in Munich, who jointly heads the team with the Frankfurt-based Günter Pickrahn, and senior associates Alexander Ritter and Moritz Meckel, the practice fields three lawyers with dual qualifications - engineer (Herr), computer scientist (Ritter) and physicist (Meckel) - as well as two key contacts that are also qualified as patent lawyers (Herr and Meckel). The team's integration within the firm's international network, particularly with regards to teams in China and the US, becomes apparent while considering its numerous cross-border instructions. The broad advice spectrum particularly includes standard-essential patents and computer-implemented innovations.
' The specialty is customer-oriented problem solving. '
' Jochen Herr is outstanding, double qualified as a lawyer and patent attorney. Very good professional experience, top contact. Best knowledge for infringement proceedings and settlements. The highest demands on customer orientation and responsiveness are met. '
' Moritz Meckel: Double qualifications as a lawyer and patent attorney, physicist with the best knowledge of procedural tricks. '
' Availability, specialist knowledge, professionalism, clear communication, self-confident in appearance, down-to-earth and with clear analyzes. '
Giesecke & Devrient GmbH
Grundfos Holding A/S
Rehau AG & Co. KG
Mayer & Cie.
Becton Dickinson & Company
- RealD Inc.: Representation in patent infringements and numerous opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
- Giesecke & Devrient GmbH: Represented and advised on numerous patent litigation, including a patent infringement suit against the US government that was filed in the USA.
- TMG Automotive: Representation in a German patent infringement case as well as in parallel opposition proceedings before the EPO.
Boehmert & Boehmert
Boehmert & Boehmert has strengthened its Düsseldorf and Berlin offices on associate level, thereby increasing its clout on the market. Practice heads Michael Rüberg and Carl-Richard Haarmann, respectively based in Munich and Düsseldorf, coordinate the composition of tailored teams for each instruction. As a mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm, the duo can hereby rely on a sizeable pool of technical experts and also covers a broad sector spectrum. Alongside numerous German companies, the client base also includes large international corporations that the group can advise in conjunction with best friends firms if necessary.
- Aeritas LLC: Successful implementation and out-licensing of global property rights portfolios in the areas of mobile boarding / ticketing and geographic data services
- A leading manufacturer of glass bending equipment: Successful defense of patent infringement proceedings that have been conducted very intensively over several years and in various parallel proceedings relating to glass bending systems.
- Nivalion LLP: Comprehensive advice on IP law issues in connection with the financing of international legal disputes, especially in the area of patent infringement.
Gleiss Lutz' focus lies on complex, often cross-border matters in the pharmaceuticals sector, while the group also regularly advises on their coordination. Further mainstays include the automotive and electronics industries. Within the team behind practice head Matthias Sonntag in Düsseldorf, the equally Düsseldorf-based Benedikt Burger made counsel in January 2020; he acts both in litigation as well as in out-of-court patent law matters.
Under the leadership of the experienced Wolfgang Kellenter, Hengeler Mueller particularly often acts in proceedings for consumer goods and electronics manufacturers, with a special focus in the mobile communications sector. In addition, automotive clients, mechanical engineering specialists, pharmaceutical companies and telecoms corporations also rely on the practice in complex disputes. Alongside large German and international, particularly European companies, the team also regularly represents patent exploiters.
Other key lawyers:
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek stands out for its particularly comprehensive activity in patent nullity appeal proceedings and attracted attention in 2019, when practice head Anton Horn, in his own name, filed a successful nullity claim against the German part of a European patent on teff flour; this caused the patent owner to waive the patent and therefore re-opening Euope's market access to the flour. Alongside large German companies, the group also represents a variety of European corporations.
' Very good positioning in patent law. Very reliable, good job and good result. '
' Anton Horn is very personable and accomplished. A size recognized on the market. '
' Anton Horn's team is very responsive, communicates well, bills transparently and offers very good quality. '
' A very competent team that is exclusively focused on patent law and, in particular, has the ability to competently conduct complex, linked proceedings. '
' Anton Horn: Very analytical, lateral thinking, technically competent. '
- INglass: Representation in a major patent dispute in the automotive sector between the two market leaders in injection molding technology; a total of three patent infringement proceedings before the Mannheim Regional Court, plus the associated legal validity proceedings.
- Swissphone: Representation in a market-defining patent dispute in the field of telecommunications for a separate alarm system for security and rescue workers regarding technology for accelerating the alarm
- Systemhouse: Representation in a patent dispute against BASF for the manufacture of heat-insulating facade elements, which included the rare suspension of the infringement proceedings despite a prior review of the state of the art in the granting procedure as well as a nullity and an appeal nullity proceedings before the BGH.
In 2019 and 2020, MAIWALD PATENTANWALTS- UND RECHTSANWALTSGESELLSCHAFT MBH emerged strengthened. The arrival of dually qualified patent lawyer and attorney-at-law Stefan Bianchin from Mitscherlich & Partner in February 2019 and his subsequent partner promotion in August along with the partner promotion of three patent lawyers indicated a clear growth trajectory for the practice. Pharmaceutical matters constitute the practice's core, although the team is also an established advisor in the life sciences sector and is increasingly gaining profile in other industries such as mechanical engineering and electronics, not least due to the strengthening of the mixed patent and attorney-at-law firm's prosecution practice. Marco Stief heads the practice and has experience in national and international patent infringement matters, border seizure proceedings and disputes related to technology agreements.
Fresenius Kabi Deutschland GmbH
Generics [UK] Ltd. Trading as Mylan
P4 automotive handels GmbH
The Regents of the University of California
- Dr Reddy's / Betapharm: Infringement proceedings against Astra Zeneca regarding Fulvestrant®; Representation in nullity proceedings against SP; Representation in preliminary injunction proceedings against Gilead's HIV product Truvada®; Representation in preliminary injunction proceedings against Eli Lilly regarding Pemetrexed®.
- Fresenius Kabi Germany GmbH: EV proceedings against Eli Lilly regarding pemetrexed.
- Hexal AG/ Sandoz: Invalidity proceedings against SPC relating to a combination of the active ingredients ezetimibe and simvastatin, marketed as INEGY®.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP's portfolio predominantly entails matters in the automotive, electronics, chemistry and health care sectors, while the advice spectrum includes both proceedings in Germany as well as cross-border disputes. Hereby, the team around practice heads Boris Uphoff in Munich, who is also well versed in alternative dispute resolution, and Henrik Holzapfel in Düsseldorf can also rely on the firm's strong international teams. The practice's second focus lies on IP portfolio development.
Other key lawyers:
' Fast, competent and reliable colleagues. '
' At Boris Uphoff, both the legal assessment and processing as well as the joint handling of mandates are exemplary. He and his team are excellently qualified in the field mentioned and, in my opinion, can be recommended for any kind of cooperation. '
Vestel Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S.
Scolmore International Ltd
Kanzler Verfahrenstechnik Ges. GmbH
PAUL HARTMANN und Tochter BODE Chemie
- Harman International: Advising on the in-licensing of various portfolios of standard essential patents.
- Chancellor process engineering: Represented in a number of patent infringement and nullity proceedings against Technip France and Solvay SA
- Scolmore: Representation in a number of patent infringement and opposition proceedings against various infringers.
Under the leadership of litigator Tobias Wuttke, Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB has established a very good market reputation. Matters are regularly handled by a mixed team of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law and frequently entail cross-border elements. Hereby, the client base includes both small, medium-sized and large German companies as well as renowned international players. The group's broad sector spectrum also includes the automotive, telecoms and medical product industries as particular focuses. The three of counsel Klaus-Jürgen Mellulis (former presiding judge at the German Supreme Court), Rainer Engels (former judge at the Federal Patent Court) and Hans-Peter Felgenhauer (former member of the Technical Board of Appeal of the EPO) incorporate their longstanding experience in litigious proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
' The cooperation between lawyers and patent attorneys is very close and extremely well coordinated. The advice is always very convincing, highly professional and very efficient, always with an eye on the client's goals. '
' Strong litigation team with good technical depth in a wide range of technologies. Team player in the coordination of cross-border disputes. '
' Tobias Wuttke: Excellent combination of fighting strategies and technical understanding in the high-tech area. Very creative in the development of enforcement strategies for patents and utility models as well as competition law claims. Very pleasant to deal with. Understand the complex nature of global patent disputes and the importance of coordinated action across national borders. '
' The leading light on this team is Tobias Wuttke, the head of the IP litigation team. '
' Tobias Wuttke always has an excellent customer approach – solution-oriented, efficient, practical and very, very competent. The tone that he sets as the practice manager is followed by his entire team, which is why he has expanded the IP Disputes team into the most successful part of Meissner Bolte. '
' Very competent and practical solutions characterized by extraordinary legal knowledge. '
A2 AGRO AS
BTL Medical Inc.
Big Belly Inc
Deutsche Telekom AG
Illinois Tool Works (ITW)
Koki Holdings Co Ltd
Puritan Medical Products Company LLC
Tyrolon Schulnig GmbH
- Acandis GmbH: Representation in inspection and infringement proceedings against Terumo and MicroVention; Team consisting of patent attorneys and lawyers.
- Big Belly Inc.: Representation in infringement proceedings regarding solar-powered waste disposal systems (including waste containers); Invalidity proceedings running in parallel.
- BTL Medical: Representation in various patent litigation as well as parallel cancellation proceedings and in prosecution proceedings relating to aesthetic medicine in the field of electromagnetic treatments.
Noerr is particularly active in the pharma and technology sectors, but covers a generally broad sector array also including the electronics, consumer goods and telecoms industries. Practice head Ralph Nack in Munich is the key contact; alongside patent infringement, nullity and opposition proceedings, he has particular expertise in patent monetisation and licensing. Thomas Gniadek joined Simmons & Simmons in July 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Simmons & Simmons
At Simmons & Simmons, the departure of Ina vom Feld to Herbert Smith Freehills LLP in May 2020 and the arrival of former Noerr partner Thomas Gniadek in July 2020, who is experienced in patent disputes as well as in advising on other technology-related disputes, signalled change. The practice's core expertise lies in the life sciences and pharmaceutical sectors where the group represents biotechnology companies among others; here, the IT and electronics practice is simultaneously gaining clout. One of the team's mainstays is the advice on standard-essential patents, not least due to practice head Peter Meyer's antitrust expertise; he is based in Düsseldorf.
Other key lawyers:
'' Direct partners as contact persons, quick answers to questions and a high level of professional competence. '
Helios Ventilatoren GmbH & Co. KG
Imperial Tobacco Group (Fontem Ventures)
Kinetics Concepts Inc./ Systagenix
Reemtsma (Tochtergesellschaft von Imperial Tobacco)
- Firecomms: Litigation against the market leader Broadcom through all instances in order to ensure the market launch of competing products.
- Leading IT company: Comprehensive advice and representation on standard essential patents (SEPs); Defense and enforcement of SEPs, partly in the automotive sector.
- US pharmaceutical company: Comprehensive advice on biotech products against third-party patents.
Munich-based IP boutique offering AMPERSAND Rechtsanwaelte LLP impresses with a partner-centred advice approach and broad technical expertise. The group represents both industrial corporations as well as patent exploiters, while it focuses on clients from the telecoms sector. The practice is led by the highly regarded Hosea Haag, who represents clients in and out of court in national and international disputes and is also experienced in preparing technology-related agreements.
' Ampersand distinguishes itself from other law firms primarily through the great experience of the legal team in matters of patent law. Ampersand's lawyers work pragmatically and always oriented towards the client's success. '
' Hosea Haag is a grand master of patent law. He has been involved in many of the most recent patent disputes in the media and is one of the first points of contact in Germany for companies in the mobile communications sector. Few lawyers have the same effect in the courts. Always recommended! '
' Very competent in execution. '
' Philipp Neels: Very pleasant to work with, very hard working, always balanced with always quick answers and solutions. We recommend. '
' Very qualified in the field of patent law; collegial behavior when focusing on the interests of clients. '
' Philipp Neels is extremely competent, acts calmly, deliberately and prudently. What I particularly appreciate about him is not only his collegial behavior in court, whereby he is always focused on the matter, he knows how to act in a manner that is in line with his interests, especially when striving for amicable solutions, and does not stick to positions, but is in his interest Clients interested in finding a lasting and economical solution. '
Accord Healthcare Ltd.
Conversant Wireless Licensing S.à.r.l.
DAF Truck N.V.
DT Swiss AG
Human Care Nederland B.V.
InstrAction Siltectra uVm
INVTE SP GmbH
Schülke & Mayr GmbH
Uniloc Deutschland GmbH
Wonderland Nurserygoods Co. Ltd.
WSOU Investments LLC
- ADMEDES GmbH: Representation in infringement proceedings before the Düsseldorf Regional Court due to alleged patent infringement.
- Axell Wireless: Representation in several patent infringement proceedings against an international telecommunications group regarding antenna system patents.
- BlueID GmbH: Representation in infringement proceedings relating to a patent for identification and / or locking systems based on the transmission of preferably digital data; prior comprehensive out-of-court advice, including the preparation and preparation of a license offer to the other party.
Alongside its traditional strength in employee invention law, CBH Rechtsanwälte offers an experienced patent law practice both in infringement as well as in validity proceedings that is technically broadly positioned and also confidently covers the interface to patent law. Core areas include the automotive and electrotechnology sectors. The leadership trio is composed of the Cologne-based Jens Kunzmann as well as Stephan Gruber and Hannes Jacobsen in Munich; Kunzmann and Gruber cover the interface between employee invention and patent law and are complemented by Jacobsen's comprehensive expertise in IP.
Other key lawyers:
' Very competent and professional, reliable, friendly. '
' Outstanding and comprehensive expertise. '
' The CBH team is working deeply into the technical and commercial dimensions of the case. Strong communication at the right altitude for the respective addressee. The processing is done 'hands-on', always goal-oriented and without unnecessary formality. '
' Stephan Gruber is a walking jurisprudence database. Due to his extensive experience in disputes, he always remains in control of the situation and manages to move even complex cases forward. Good scientific understanding. '
'' Well-founded advice, holistic advice in disputes, constructive cooperation with patent attorneys to achieve the best result. '
' Hannes Jacobsen: Detailed strategic advice, very pleasant cooperation! '
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
Siemens Healthcare GmbH
Süddeutsche Gelenkscheibenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG
Fliegl Fahrzeugbau GmbH
Adolf Würth GmbH & Co. KG
Phoenix Contact GmbH & Co. KG
Thyssen Krupp Konzern
Wacker Chemie AG
- Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG: Representation in extensive disputes with a well-known automotive supplier in the field of engine technology; several infringement and validity proceedings.
- Siemens Healthcare GmbH: Representation in extensive, cross-border disputes with a competitor in the field of medical technology; Infringement, nullity and vindication proceedings before various regional courts, the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice.
- Phoenix Contact GmbH: Representation in extensive disputes with a German competitor in the field of electrical engineering; double-digit number of infringement proceedings with respective legal validity proceedings before the DPMA, EPA and Federal Patent Court; Vindication action before the LG Düsseldorf.
By now, Eisenführ Speiser's litigation practice is indispensable in the market. The group acts in infringement, nullity and opposition procedures as well as frequently in cross-border matters. The client base includes numerous German medium-sized companies as well as large international corporations across a broad sector spectrum, including the electrotechnology, automotive and chemical sector. Key contacts include Tilman Müller (standard-essential patents, arbitration and licence agreement disputes among other matters), Rainer Böhm (particular strength in international disputes related to the US and India) and Volkmar Henke (mobile communications and broadcasting technology, imaging and audio coding among other matters) in Hamburg and Bremen-based duo Harald Förster and Julian Eberhardt.
Activemap Europe GmbH
Aqua Select GmbH
BEGO Bremer Goldschlägerei Wilh. Herbst GmbH & Co. KG
Evonik Degussa GmbH
Gemalto M2M GmbH
HARTING Electric GmbH & Co.KG
HEVC Advance LLC
Home Tec GmbH
HOYA Surgical Optics GmbH
Hüttenes Albertus GmBH
Interroll Holding AG
Joyson Safety Systems GmbH
Kaiser GmbH & Co. KG
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
LUNOS Lüftungstechnik GmbH für Raumluftsysteme
Mitsubishi HiTec Paper Europe GmbH
MV Pipe Technologies GmbH
Thyssen Krupp Steel Europe AG
Via Licensing Corp.
Werner & Mertz GmbH
- HEVC Advance: Representation in extensive proceedings regarding the video coding standard HEVC / H.265; Successful judgment of the LG Düsseldorf in favor of three licensors of the client's patent pool.
- Sisvel: Representation in infringement proceedings concerning standard essential patents before the BGH; Obtaining a cease and desist decision in favor of the client in the appeal proceedings.
- Sisvel: Successful representation of the client before the BGH regarding the standard essential patent EP 08 52 885.
Hamburg-based boutique offering Harmsen Utescher acts in opposition, infringement and nullity proceedings. The ream is regularly visible in pan-European litigations. Karsten Königer represents the team's core.
Other key lawyers:
Linklaters remains a good choice for cross-border disputes in the pharmaceutical and semiconductor sectors. Practice head Julia Schönbohm's team cooperates particularly regularly with colleagues from the London, Paris and Brussels offices. Both Schönbohm as well as managing associate Bolko Ehlgen are also admitted in the US, making the practice attractive for transatlantic disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Since its inception in 2017, Taliens has successfully established its reputation as a European firm for IP, technology and media. With offices in Munich, Paris and Madrid, practice head Thomas Lynker's team is well equipped for cross-border instructions. The group is particularly experienced in mobile communications disputes and litigation concerning standard-essential patents. Based on Lynker's personal expertise, the practice further focuses on the electronics, mechanical engineering as well as medical products and pharmaceutical sectors.
ZTE Deutschland GmbH
TCT Mobile Europe SAS und TCT Mobile Germany
Newtec Labeling S.r.l
KTN Neuberger GmbH
- ZTE Deutschland GmbH and ZTE Corporation: Representation in the defense of a patent infringement suit by the patent exploiter Conversant based on three allegedly standard-essential patents for the UMTS / LTE standard.
- TCT Mobile Europe SAS und TCT Mobile Germany: Representation against Siemens AG before the Regional Court of Düsseldorf and against IP Bridge before the regional courts of Mannheim and Düsseldorf, the Higher Regional Court of Karlsruhe and the Federal Patent Court in patent infringement suits based on six allegedly standard-essential protective rights to UMTS and LTE as well as a specific action for injunctive relief (FRAND action)
- Orckit IP: Representation in ongoing proceedings before the Düsseldorf Regional and Higher Regional Court and the Federal Patent Court regarding two patent infringement suits based on one patent in suit for network technology and parallel nullity suits.