Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland in Switzerland
Bär & Karrer Ltd. impresses with a broad full service offering. It acts for clients from the financial services, life sciences, technology, energy, entertainment and sports industries, among others. The group is known for its activity in the practice areas of banking and finance, capital markets, dispute resolution, insurance, M&A, private clients and tax. The key contacts are Eric Stupp, Christoph Neeracher, Ralph Malacrida, Daniel Hochstrasser, and Andreas Länzlinger, as well as Thomas Reutter, Tina Wüstemann, Susanne Schreiber, Michele Bernasconi and Peter Hsu.
‘Excellent team, which is second to none; fully committed to execute the common strategy developed with the client.’
‘This practice is well-connected within the Swiss legal, regulatory and financial communities and is able to offer excellent advice for navigating the complexities of the new and evolving systems.’
‘Thomas Reutter has a lot of experience in disclosure matters, he is very client-focussed and business-minded.’
‘Peter Hsu is an excellent team manager with great business understanding.’
Bank J. Safra
Swiss Prime Site
Waterland Private Equity
- Assisted Novartis with the spin off of Alcon, its eye care division, into a separately traded standalone company incorporated in Switzerland.
- Acted for the Libra association on its plan to create a new kind of digital global currency.
- Advised SIG Combibloc Group as issuer and Onex as selling shareholder on the IPO of SIG and on the migration of the holding company from Luxembourg to Switzerland.
Homburger is an established player in the market and is particularly noted for its corporate, M&A and capital markets as well as its banking and finance practice, where Benedikt Maurenbrecher, René Bösch and Daniel Daeniker are key names. Other areas of expertise include dispute resolution, competition, tax, and IP and TMT, where the key contacts are Balz Gross and Felix Dasser; Marcel Dietrich and Franz Hoffet; Peter Riedweg and Dieter Grünblatt; and Georg Rauber. David Rosenthal left the firm.
- Advised Roche on the refinancing of its $7.5bn revolving credit facility.
- Acting for Swatch Group in a dispute relating to the global distribution system for spare parts.
- Advised Liberty Global on the CHF6.3bn sale of UPC Switzerland to Sunrise.
Lenz & Staehelin has an excellent market reputation, with expertise in banking and finance, capital markets, corporate and M&A, and dispute resolution as well as in competition, IP, TMT, sports and tax matters. Key practitioners include Patrick Hünerwadel, Hans-Jakob Diem, Marcel Tranchet, Harold Frey, Jürg Simon, Marcel Meinhardt and Lukas Morscher.
Niederer Kraft Frey AG fields a strong team of lawyers, who are particularly noted for their experience in matters relating to corporate and M&A, where Philipp Haas is the key name; capital markets, where managing partner Philippe Weber stands out; and and tax, where Thomas Graf is a specialist. Daniel Eisele and Tamir Livschitz are experts in dispute resolution mandates, while Andreas Vögeli know the real estate area well. Further leading individuals are Clara-Ann Gordon, Catherine Grun Meyer and András Gurovits.
The practice at Baker McKenzie covers a wide range of business law areas, and has an impressive international reach. The Zurich office's strong suits are matters relating to capital markets, corporate and M&A, employment, competition, IP, tax, real estate and TMT. Alexander Fischer, Marnin Michaels, Martin Furrer, and Alexander Wyss as well as Lukas Glanzmann, Peter Reinert and Matthias Courvoisier are names to note.
IHAG Holding AG / Swiss Life AG
PSP Swiss Property
ULTIMA CAPITAL SA
Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners AG
SSN group AG
Helvetica Capital AG
Helvetica Capital AG
UBS AG/ Morgan Stanley
Cosmo Pharmaceuticals N.V.
Fundamenta Real Estate AG
World Trade Organisation
- Assisted PSP Swiss Property with the acquisition of the CHF180.6m ‘Carba Portfolio’ in Bern-Liebefeld.
- Advised Körber on the sale of United Grinding Group.
- Acted for Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners on M&A, financing and selected takeover law-related aspects of the purchase of a stake in Alpiq Holding and EOS.
Kellerhals Carrard impresses with its broad offering in business law; it has considerable experience in M&A, litigation, investigation, sports, and capital markets mandates as well as particular experience in public law. Managing partner Beat Brechbuehl, Christoph Jäger, Claudia Götz Staehelin, Thomas Eichenberger, and Daniel Emch are prominent practitioners.
BKW Energie AG
CSL Behring AG
Daetwyler Holding AG
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Ferrari SpA, Maranello
Grasshopper Football Club
KPT Versicherungen AG
Lehman Brothers Limited
Losinger Marazzi AG
Man Group plc
Nobel Biocare AG
Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA
Swiss Football League
Visana Services AG
- Represented Tamedia before the procurement court regarding an outdoor advertising tender.
- Advising the Swiss Football League on antitrust law matters, specifically on licensing matters relating to TV and media rights.
- Advised Vifor Pharma on the issuing of a CHF465m bond.
Pestalozzi impresses with its expertise in banking and finance, capital markets, litigation and arbitration, real estate, tax and intellectual property. The firm is also active in competition, fintech and insolvency matters. Leading practitioners at the firm are Urs Kloeti, Oliver Widmer, Christoph Lang, Michael Kramer, Lorenza Ferrari Hofer, Nils Harbeke, Thomas Rohner and Michael Lips.
‘The lawyers are intelligent, creative and dedicated to their cases. The team understands not only its client’s business and challenges but also its needs. Personal attention and responsiveness from start to finish.’
‘Oliver Widmer is a master of his field; he is always updated in the latest legal latest developments in the market, as well as friendly and available.’
‘Christoph Lang is a recommended, capable contact in Zurich.’
‘Thomas Rohner is a hard-working, dedicated, well-spoken, thick-skinned individual, who is a tough litigator and arbitrator in court while staying courteous and calm at all times.’
Affiliated Managers Group
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bank of India
Bank of Montreal
Barclays Bank (Suisse) SA
General Electric Capital
Greenhill & Co.
ICB Standard Bank
ING Bank NV
Landesbank Baden Württemberg
Panalpina Welttransport (Holding) AG
Standard Chartered Bank
- Assisted Bank of America Merrill Lynch with its plan to change its European business from the UK to Ireland.
- Advised Coca-Cola in Switzerland on its new $5bn euro medium-term note programme, the issue and listing of bonds under the programme as well as the tender offer of outstanding bonds.
- Assisted AZ Medien and NZZ Group with the formation of the joint venture CH Media.
Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd is noted for its strong track record in the areas of banking and finance; arbitration, litigation and white-collar criminal law; capital markets; and corporate and M&A. IP and competition are other areas of activity. Key practitioners Peter Burckhardt, Philippe Borens, and Lorenzo Olgiati head the dispute resolution, banking and finance and M&A teams, respectively. Other names to note are Oliver Triebold, Olivier Favre, Manuel Liatowitsch, Urs Hoffmann-Nowotny and Christopher Boog.
‘This firm unites lawyers with both excellent legal knowledge and experience as well as a hands-on, pragmatic and client-oriented approach.’
‘The team consists of individuals of very high calibre – they can handle cases of any level of complexity and always deliver an excellent result.’
‘Peter Burckhardt is outstanding in every respect.’
‘Manuel Liatowitsch is a very able and personable lawyer; strong on strategy and options, and willing to recommend approaches, rather than sitting on the fence.’
‘Oliver Triebold is an excellent transactional lawyer.‘
‘Urs Hoffmann-Nowotny is a brilliant litigator with an outstanding expertise.’
Credit Suisse AG / Credit Suisse (Schweiz) AG
Doosan Heavy Industries
Gazprom Neft PJSC, Russia
Hetronic International Inc.
EFG International AG / EFG Bank AG
UBS AG/UBS Switzerland AG
Sunrise Communication AG
The Russian Federation
Catalent Pharma Solutions
CTI Systems 1 Yes
Wanxiang A123 Systems Asia
Reichmuth Investment Management AG 7 No
Raiffeisen Switzerland Cooperative
Crypto Fund AG
Falcon Private Bank 18 No
Nord Anglia Education
eny Finance AG
Bank Julius Baer
Futures Industry Association (FIA)
Swiss Bankers Association (SBA)
China Construction Bank, Zurich Branch
Helvetische Bank AG
Corvex / White Tale
Philip Morris International / Philip Morris Equity Partners
Falcon Private Bank 19 No
Shire International GmbH
Panalpina Welttransport (Holding)
- Acting for Credit Suisse in internal investigations and representing the bank before Finma, the DoJ, SEC and the DFS in several fraud investigations and in regulatory enforcement proceedings.
- Advised Nord Anglia Education on being taken private by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Baring Private Equity.
- Acted for Panalpina on the CHF4.6bn public exchange offer by DSV.
VISCHER is highly regarded for its healthcare, TMT and transport practices as well as its expertise in capital markets, M&A, public law, competition and litigation matters. Key at the firm include Stefan Kohler, Rolf Auf der Maur, Benedict Christ, Stefan Rechsteiner and Christian Oetiker. Michael Waldner, Klaus Neff and Christian Wyss are other names to note. David Rosenthal was a new arrival in 2020.
Key practice areas for Walder Wyss Switzerland Global include capital markets, litigation, real estate, tax, intellectual property, TMT, employment and competition. The firm is particularly active for clients from the financial services, healthcare and life sciences, energy and infrastructure sectors, among others. Luc Defferrard, Markus Frick, Ueli Sommer, Philippe Nordmann, Hans Rudolf Trüeb, Mark Reutter and Thomas Meister are highlighted practitioners.
- Advised Credit Suisse on a syndicated loan agreement with Helsinn.
- Assisted Aduno Holding with its sale of cashgate to Cembra Money Bank.
- Advised Swiss Life Holding on the issuance of a CHF250m senior bond.
CMS has a full-service offering, but is particularly noted for expertise in the areas of dispute resolution, healthcare and life sciences, and competition law as well as in matters relating to insurance, employment and real estate. Key practitioners include managing partners David Hürlimann and Jodok Wicki, as well as Stefan Gerster, Stefan Brunnschweiler, Marquard Christen, Christian Gersbach, Philipp Dickenmann, Reto Hunsperger and Daniel Jenny.
‘The services provided by CMS are based on a deep knowledge and understanding for the customer’s needs. They have always been provided on time in an outstanding quality and with a good value for money factor.‘
‘Apart from his profound knowledge of antitrust law, Marquard Christen’s strength is his capability to quickly understand even the most complex sets of facts, identify the legal problems at hand and come up with a solution which takes into account not only the legal issue but also the business interests.’
‘The consistent, persistent, and precise Reto Hunsperger delivers excellent results.’
- Advised capiton and its CymbiQ Group on the acquisition of anovis and separately of Koch IT.
- Assisting Nike with legal support with all Swiss employment matters.
- Advised Credit Suisse Asset Management on the acquisition of land and the construction of a residential complex in Zurich.
Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Ltd is particularly highly regarded for its intellectual property, fintech, private client, TMT, real estate, competition and corporate departments. Prominent practitioners from these areas are Simon Holzer, Alexander Vogel, Michael Ritscher, Patricia Guerra and Lukas Bühlmann, as well as Andrea Sieber, Michael Reinle, and Mario Strebel.
Allianz Suisse Immobilien AG
Allreal Holding AG
Association of Foreign Banks in Switzerland (AFBS)
AstraZeneca AB and AstraZeneca AG
Bayer Intellectual Property, Bayer AG
Bitcoin Suisse SA
British American Tobacco Switzerland SA
CHOCOSUISSE, Association of Swiss Chocolate Manufacturers
Deutsche Telekom AG
Julius Baer Group AG
Kantonsspital St. Gallen (KSSG)
Kenwood / De Longhi
Lindt & Sprüngli
Medela AG (Olle Larsson Holding AG)
Media Markt Management AG
Meyer Burger Technology AG
MNC Mobile News Channel SA
PADI EMEA Ltd.
Raiffeisen Informatik Austria
Spital Männedorf AG
Sunrise (Sunrise Communications AG | Sunrise Communications Group AG)
Swiss Cosmetic Association (SKW)
Swiss Deluxe Hotels
Swiss Fin Lab
Swiss Structured Product Association (SSPA)
Swisspro group of companies
Telegram Messenger LLP
Tesla Motors Switzerland GmbH
The Adecco Group
TUI Suisse Ltd.
Swiss direct-mail marketing association
ViiV Healthcare UK Limited
Zurich Insurance Company
- Acted for Meyer Burger Technology on its strategic investment in Oxford PV.
- Represented Gilead in an infringement action against Mepha after the confirmation of the validity of Gilead’s SPC.
- Assisted Allianz with the acquisition of the ‘Weltpost Park’, which is an ongoing construction project for apartments.
Wenger & Vieli LTD advises on corporate and M&A mandates, competition, healthcare and life sciences, and capital markets and fintech matters. Martin Hess, Urs Weber-Stecher, Pascal Honold, Christoph Schmid and Georg Zondler are active practitioners. Managing partner Michael Mráz, Beat Speck and Barbara Brauchli Rohrer are other key names.
‘The team provides good quality commercial advice on acquisitions and investments.’
Interhoerbiger Finance Ltd. (Treasury)
DBS Development Bank of Singapore, Singapore and Mumbai Branch
Oberholzer Bauleistungen AG
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG
Cross Equity Partners AG
Blockchain Valley Ventures
Helvetia Wealth in Liquidation
Luminator Technology Group (LTG), Texas, USA
- Assisted Trans Adriatic Pipeline with the fundraising for an energy infrastructure project.
- Advised Hoerbiger Group on the issuance of CHF200m long-term notes.
- Acted for Blockchain Valley Ventures on corporate matters regarding the setting up and structuring of the company.
Froriep' team includes key practitioners Catrina Luchsinger, Sabina Schellenberg, Nicola Benz, Isabelle Romy and Marcel Jung, who are specialists in finance, litigation, IP and TMT, environment and tax, respectively. Its corporate and M&A practice, where London-based Dunja Koch is active, is also noted.
Wenger Plattner has a standout reputation in the insolvency and corporate recovery area. It also covers corporate and M&A, competition, litigation and real estate mandates. Names to note include Brigitte Umbach-Spahn, Oliver Künzler, Karl Wüthrich, Stephan Kesselbach, Fritz Rothenbühler, Thomas Wetzel and Placidus Plattner.