A leading firm in the area of tax, Binder Grösswang advises domestic and multinational clients on transactional tax law, procedural matters as well as tax litigation and international and EU tax law. The team is also experienced in assisting with accounting law, tax audits, and acting for private clients in this field. Christian Wimpissinger, Andreas Hable and Clemens Willvonseder, who made partner in February 2021 and regularly advises on tax aspects of cross-border transactions, are the practice heads. Hable’s expertise includes cross-border restructurings and private clients, while Willvonseder is particularly active in the tax aspects surrounding large M&A deals and accounting law issues.
Tax in Austria
Christian Wimpissinger; Andreas Hable; Clemens Willvonseder
‘I have worked with Binder Groesswang for many years. They are always my first port of call on Austrian tax matters.’
‘Christian Wimpissinger is an assured adviser – technically excellent, very responsive and delivers clear and useful advice. He leads a broad and highly capable team.’
‘Clemens Willvonseder provided valuable assistance on a complex VAT matter.’
‘Excellent capabilities in international taxation and great experience in dealing with large corporations operating in multiple jurisdictions. Excellent collaboration in teaming up with my firm in working jointly in international tax projects, they are reliable, highly skilled and responsive.’
‘Binder Grösswang Rechtsanwälte GmbH is a top player in Austria and has very good diversified teams, which include the relevant and necessary legal scope of a company.’
‘All partners and associates have very good technical and vocational skills. They understand the corporate structure and put themselves in senior management’s position, which helps a lot during the legal process.’
‘The tax team of Binder Grösswang covers a variety of fields from corporate income tax to international tax and from VAT to tax litigation matters. It is their size and knowledge of their area of practice which makes them stand out on the market.’
‘Christian Wimpissinger and his team are very responsive and well connected at the international level. Also, they are not only lawyers, but very good in handling the projects we work on with firms in other countries and with our internal group members.’
The Interpublic Group of Companies (IPG)
AUVA (Public Accident Insurance)
Pritzker Private Capital, Vertellus
DPE (Deutsche Private Equity)
Johnson & Johnson
Kärntner Beteiligungsverwaltung (Holding Company of the State of Carinthia)
Atos IT Solutions and Services GmbH, Air Liquide, AXA Gruppe, Compagnie de Saint-Gobain, Danone, Michelin Reifenwerke AG & Co. KGaA, Sanofi Schneider Electrics, VINCI and others
- Advised Mubadala on the tax aspects of its $4.68 billion sale of 39% in Borealis AG to OMV.
- Advised the ING Group together with Linklaters on the sale of its entire retail banking business to bank99, the bank of Österreichische Post AG.
- Advised BNP Paribas on the sale of Austria’s largest online-broker Hello bank! to BAWAG P.S.K.
bpv Hügel’s tax team ‘can deal with any problem that an international company faces in its day-to-day business’. The firm covers topics such as Brexit-related tax matters, restructurings, and recently also tax-related state aid issues in light of the pandemic in addition to corporate and transactional tax law. Gerald Schachner, who is ‘a star among the tax lawyers in Austria’, leads the practice. Nicolas Wolski and Kornelia Wittmann are also noted for their expertise in this area.
Other key lawyers:
Nicolas Wolski; Kornelia Wittmann
‘The bpv Hügel tax team is for sure among the best in Austria. We work with them for many years. The entire team has fantastic skills, is available, works efficiently, and offers practical solutions. What makes them really unique is, that most of the tax lawyers are dual qualified as lawyers and tax advisors.’
‘Head of the tax department is Gerald Schachner. In my view a first class tax lawyer with extraordinary skills and great personality.’
‘Kornelia Wittmann and Nicolas Wolski: experienced and highly skilled.’
‘Dr. Kornelia Wittmann: perfect support in tricky tax negotiations with authorities.’
‘Law firm covers virtually all areas of business and tax law – it can deal with any problem that an international company faces in its day-to-day business.’
‘Gerald Schachner: lawyer and tax advisor – profound knowledge on all fields of commercial and tax law.’
‘High skilled Austrian lawyers with broad international skills and understanding.’
‘Gerald Schachner’s work approach is very “hands-on” with a deep understanding of the processes and the major issues in the day to day operations.’
European Directories Group
Ring International Holding
RZB (Raiffeisen Zentralbank AG)
BP Plc and BP Europe SE
RWA Raiffeisen Ware Austria AG
F.A. Food Art Enterprises Limited
SDN Beteiligungs GmbH
AOP Orphan Pharmaceuticals
- Advising EDSA in connection with the unification of its fully owned Austrian group company, Herold Business Data GmbH (“HEROLD”), and its majority-owned subsidiary, dogado GmbH (“dogado”), based in Dortmund. In this context, dogado took over HEROLD’s entire share capital against, amongst others, new shares. The closing of the transaction occurred in February 2021.
- Advising on IMMOFINANZ AG’s intended EUR 1.15 billion takeover offer of S IMMO AG (both ATX-listed) and its EUR 550 million acquisition finance.
- Advising shareholders of a multinational enterprise operating in the healthcare sector on the tax structuring reorganisation of the entire group, a complex operation involving Canada, the UK, the UAE, Iran, Austria, Germany, Armenia and off-share jurisdictions.
The ‘highly professional and service-oriented’ tax practice at Cerha Hempel provides comprehensive advice on matters including international taw law, real estate, tax litigation, and transactional tax aspects. The firm counts domestic and multinational corporations from a broad range of sectors among its clients. Johannes Prinz focuses on corporate tax and restructuring and Benjamin Twardosz is particularly experienced in tax litigation and stamp duty; they jointly head the team. Head of the banking and insurance group Peter Knobl is well versed in all matters of banking and finance-related tax law.
Johannes Prinz; Benjamin Twardosz
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a very pragmatic and commercial view. Their advice is clear.’
‘The team are highly professional and service-oriented.’
‘Benjamin Twardosz is a leading practitioner and gives clear and timely advice.’
‘CERHA HEMPEL supported us in a very complex cross border operation. They have been very reactive, with a very strong result oriented mindset and very constructive. They have been successful in the discussion with the tax authorities with a process which has been very well managed.’
‘Benjamin Twardosz has been instrumental in the operation. He has a very strong knowledge of the Austrian tax law and good connection with the tax authorities. He came up with a solution which solved the issue we had.’
Worldline SA / SIX Payment Services
Aéroports de Paris
Klabin S.A. / Klabin Austria GmbH
White Oak Global Advisors, LLC (San Francisco, CA)
Strategic Investment Funds UCITS plc (Dublin, Ireland)
Suzano SA/Suzano International Trade/Suzano Austria
Dutch Infrastructure Fund (DIF)
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
Ground Truth Solutions
HP IT Solutions GmbH
- Advising Worldline SA / SIX Payment Services (Europe) SA on Austrian aspects of the acquisition of Ingenico and the transfer of its business to PAYONE.
- .Advised Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG) and DBG Advising GmbH & Co KG together with Linklaters on the tax structuring of multiple investments in Austria.
- Advising OMV AG on (i) the acquisition of an additional 39% stake in Borealis AG and (ii) the sale of its shares in GAS CONNECT AUSTRIA.
Corporate tax, tax planning for clients, real estate tax, litigation and fiscal criminal law are among the areas covered by the tax practice at Wolf Theiss. The firm has most recently expanded its services into the tax-related aspects of crypto assets, decentralised finance and non-fungible tokens, areas where practice head Niklas Schmidt is particularly active in addition to M&A and corporate restructurings, private clients, and the taxation of financial instruments. Eva Stadler and Melanie Dimitrov are also noted for their expertise in this area.
Other key lawyers:
Eva Stadler; Melanie Dimitrov
‘In-depth know-how in new areas like taxation of crypto assets, good network in Eastern Europe, one of the top law firms.’
‘Niklas Schmidt and Eva Stadler are both great tax lawyers, very knowledgeable, to the point and up to date.’
Cellnex Telecom S.A.
GARBE Industrial Real Estate GmbH
European Investment Bank and Unicredit Bank AG
Equistone Partners Europe
- Advised Cellnex Telecom S.A. on the EUR 10 billion purchase of CK Hutchinson’s passive network infrastructure.
- Advised European Investment Bank and Unicredit Bank AG on the financing of the expansion of one of Austria’s largest wind farms.
- Advised funds managed by Equistone on the acquisition of Franke Water Systems AG (KWC and WSC Groups), an international manufacturer of intelligent water solutions.
Aigner Buzanich Rechtsanwälte
Tax law boutique Aigner Buzanich Rechtsanwälte is a highly specialised firm covering all tax-related matters at a domestic and international level. Tax litigation, restructurings, M&A taxation, and corporate tax are amongst the areas covered by the team, which is headed by Herbert Buzanich and Hans-Jörgen Aigner who are both highly regarded in the market for their extensive tax law expertise. Clients include corporations from sectors such as automotive, technology and life sciences as well as private clients as well as governmental institutions.
Herbert Buzanich; Hans-Jörgen Aigner
Main creditors/steering committee in the financial restructuring of the Benteler group
- Advised a group of the main creditors of the Benteler group (Benteler Automotive, Benteler Steel/Tube) that had recently been undergoing comprehensive financial restructuring.
- Advised Sartorius which acquired BIA Separations on Austrian tax aspects of the acquisition including drafting of the tax related provisions of the SPA.
- Advised a client who acquired an Austrian software developer specialising in personalised business to consumer marketing on various Austrian tax aspects relating to the acquisition including drafting of the Austrian tax related provisions of the SPA and tax structuring considerations relating to the shareholder structure in the target.
ALTHUBER SPORNBERGER & PARTNER Rechtsanwälte
Having been established in 2018, ALTHUBER SPORNBERGER & PARTNER Rechtsanwälte has made a name for itself as a boutique specialising in tax disputes, tax criminal law, as well as tax-related D&O liability. Franz Althuber has extensive experience in corporate tax law, advising on risk management and corporate disputes, and is also well versed in representing directors and officers in tax litigation. Criminal tax and tax procedural law expert Martin Spornberger frequently acts for clients in proceedings before administrative authorities and courts, in addition to counselling on preventative strategies.
Flughafen Wien AG
- Advised the Covid-19 state funding agency, COFAG, and its governing bodies on the organization and processing of federal grants, and representing COFAG in application proceedings and in meetings/coordinations with the federal Department of Revenue.
- Advised Naftogaz Group on the establishment of an Austrian joint stock company, including advising the management bodies on possible liability risks.
- Advised PremiQaMed Holding on tax related risks for the board members resulting from the company’s non-profit status.
The team at Schindler Attorneys has a core focus advising on the tax-related aspects of M&A, where the group acts for private equity funds and large domestic and international corporations. In addition, assistance with due diligence, restructuring and start-up investments are also among the firm’s workload. Clemens Schindler has expertise in corporate and tax with dual-qualifications as an attorney and certified public tax advisor.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clemens Schindler is a superb tax lawyer with an innovative approach.’
‘Clemens Schindler is the partner we use to work since we engaged the firm. He is very skilled in the tax area and very reliable.’
‘We appreciate the combined offer of legal and tax services that Schindler Attorneys provides.’
‘In the case of Clemens Schindler, his combined practice with corporate is an additional asset.’
‘Our main contact is and always has been Clemens Schindler, with Maja Petrovic recently being intensely involved in our project. We like the transactional approach as well as the hands-on mentality. Also their network with local banks and international PE funds is remarkably large.’
‘Lawyers at Schindler Attorneys are well recognised in particular with regards to M&A transactions and international tax with outstanding reputation.’
‘Schindler Attorneys offer extensive experience and top quality services which one would only expect from large international law firms but with direct contact to decision-making professionals at senior level and flexibility typically only smaller firms are able to provide. In particular the combination of corporate and tax may be considered as an added value.’
‘The entire team at Schindler Attorney – with no exceptions – provides legal services at highest quality standards, timely, accurate and always striving for the best solutions, combining excellent legal advice with top class management skills and business acumen.’
ERSTE Asset Management
- Acting for electronics manufacturer Acer Group in a tax audit and tax litigation proceedings.
- Represented Iochpe-Maxion in relation to a bond offering of the client, jointly with affiliates of the client, in the total amount of USD 400 million.
- Advised WEKA Group (portfolio company of Paragon), as an Austrian target group, on a reorganisation after the acquisition by a private equity fund.
The tax practice at CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH has recently been particularly involved in advising on tax issues surrounding state aid, rent reductions, and tax risks related to home offices. Identification and avoidance of tax risks as well as restructurings, fiscal crime law, and private clients are part of the firm’s advisory activities. Practice head Sibylle Novak is ‘reliable and has exceptionally good analytical capacity’ and has longstanding experience in national and international tax law. She assists with tax optimisations of transactions, M&A-deals and the tax aspects of private foundations, private equity and venture capital.
‘CMS Team has excellent expertise in a wide range of fields.’
‘Dr Novak has excellent specialist knowledge. She is reliable and has exceptionally good analytical capacity.’
‘I mainly work with Sibylle Novak and her team. As a client, I appreciate her efficient work. It is unique that she provides legal & tax in one hand.’
‘Pragmatic, responsive, professional, pleasure working with. Listening to the clients. Reliable billing.’
‘Sibylle Novak – understanding her client’s needs, providing comprehensive advise on various tax issues.’
‘The Team’s strengths are that they deliver legal & tax in one hand. This is cost efficient from client’s perspective. From diversity perspective, Sibylle Novak is one of the few women at this level in Austria.’
Oesterreichische Nationalbank (OeNB)
Poseidon Group and Mitiska REIM
- Advising Plastic Omnium on tax aspects regarding the establishment of a joint venture.
- Advising Finnex on tax aspects in connection with an acquisition.
- Supporting the Austrian Central Bank in the project “Felix Austria” on Austrian tax aspects.
DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach covers the full range of tax work including planning and transactional tax matters as well as disputes and tax criminal law. Clients stem from a variety of sectors including banking, oil and gas, technology, and real estate and the firm is often involved in cross-border activities that involve multiple jurisdictions. Department head Dimitar Hristov is well versed in international tax law, corporate taxation, and restructurings, among others, while also being experienced in handling matters relating to the Russian and Eastern European markets.
‘Very dedicated team, very well connected to its customers and fast to answer, reply and support.’
‘Dr. Hristov has great knowledge and expertise. He is very fast and efficient in replying to questions and he works very closely with the customer to define solutions.’
Banco Santander SA & Santander Consumer Bank GmbH
Gazprom Export OOO
- Advicsing Banco Santander SA & Santander Consumer Bank on the securitisation of Austrian loans of the borrowers and transfer to Ireland.
- Advising Gazprom Export OOO on the tax due diligence and the tax structure of the acquisition of Centrex Europe Energy & Gas AG.
Besides collaborating with specialists from corporate M&A and financing teams to advise on transactions and financial products, the tax team at DORDA Rechtsanwälte GmbH regularly acts for its clients in international tax structuring and tax litigation. Paul Doralt is the lead partner with over 20 years of experience in the field of tax law, particularly in regard to M&A and corporate tax law as well as in cross-border mattes. Associate Katharina Binder’s work is located at the intersection of tax with private trusts, private clients and international corporations.
Other key lawyers:
‘Quick and precise analysis of the problem. Effective and cost sensitive solutions.’
‘DORDA’s tax practice is fantastic. We use them for international tax issues and in this field they are the leading firm.’
‘Paul Doralt is one of the most reputable tax lawyers of Austria. His reputation at the tax court is a huge asset to have as a client.’
‘Everyone in Dorda’s tax team is experienced, to the point, efficient, pragmatic. You get great value for money.’
‘For me, it’s the top tax team in Austria. You turn to them with your most complex tax matters. They excel in cross-border taxation issues.’
‘Paul Doralt: One of the top tax lawyers in Austria. Extensive know-how, very well connected, great client handling, to the point, clear, and a joy to work with.’
‘Katharina Binder: An outstanding senior associate, bright, dedicated, responsive. Working with her feels like working with a partner.’
Kathrein Privatbank AG
Odebrecht Oil & Gas
Bank Julius Bär
Bundesimmobiliengesellschaft m.b.H. (BIG)
Zürcher Kantonal Bank Österreich AG (ZKB)
Alberta Investment Management Corporation
- Advised Odebrecht Oil & Gas on cross-border leasing structures for deep-water oil platforms and representing the client in proceedings before the Austrian Federal Finance Court (Bundesfinanzgericht).
- Advised Citibank on cross-border leasing structures for locomotives of the Austrian Federal Railways.
- Advised Alberta Investment Management Corporation on the structuring of a cross-border investment in an Austrian solar power fund.
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG
The tax practice at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG is, on the one side, heavily involved in the firm’s M&A and structuring matters and, on the other side, active in the field of tax law assessments, for example in regards to VAT, transfer pricing and gambling levies. Court tax proceedings, tax criminal law and general corporate tax law are further strong suits of the team, which is led by counsel Christoph Urtz, whose expertise includes international tax law, real estate taxation and tax proceedings.
The tax team at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) is ‘always available and always delivers tailor-made solutions in a practical way where everybody is able to understand it’. Tax litigation, criminal tax law, and tax structuring are among the services offered to domestic and international corporations and financial institutions, in addition to transactional and M&A matters. The department works closely together with the firm’s other teams, including real estate, banking and finance, and capital markets, in order to offer holistic advice. Roman Perner and Marco Thorbauer are the key contacts.
Roman Perner; Marco Thorbauer
Other key lawyers:
‘Marco Thorbauer and Tobias Hayden: The always offer great solutions which are easily to follow and understand. We really trust this team and are very happy.’
‘Marco Thorbauer really brings it to the point. He describes difficult matters in an easy way where we (who are not law and tax experts) can easily follow. He is always available and also has a great team.’
‘Team is very young, but very good.’
‘The whole team is always available and always delivers their tailor-made solutions in a practical way where everybody is able to understand it.’
‘Under the lead of Marco Thorbauer the team has developed very well. We really like working with Marco and also with Tobias. If we need an Austrian counsel we always recommend to work with them. Taking into account the age of Marco, he absolutely outstanding on the market and has a lot of experience and brings it to the point. Tobias is an excellent expert in all fields of tax law.’
‘I would describe the Schoenherr Tax team as a young forward thinking and solution oriented team. Their knowledge on Austrian tax law was impressing and helped us on several calls with our opponents.’
Holding Graz – Kommunale Dienstleistungs GmbH
UBS Europe SE
BENTELER International AG
Left Lane (Private Equity Fund)
Bilfinger Industrial Services Österreich GmbH
Österreichische Beteiligungs AG
INVESTER United Benefits GmbH
Bramac Dachsysteme International GmbH
INNIO Jenbacher GmbH & Co OG
Partners Group AG
COVID-19 Finanzierungsagentur Des Bundes GmbH (COFAG)
Starwood Capital Group
Raiffeisen Bank International (RBI)
Erste Group Bank
Bain Capital and Wittur
- Advising the Republic of Austria on processes on the majority of its COVID-19 relief fund through a specifically established state-run financing agency, Covid-19 Finanzierungsagentur des Bundes GmbH (COFAG).
- Advising UBS Europe SE on the sale of its onshore wealth management business in Austria to LGT Bank AG.
- Advised Credendo on the cross-border merger of its Austrian stock company into a Belgian group company.
The tax department at Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH is involved in tax audit and appeal proceedings as well as transactional work and private wealth-related tax advice. In recent work, the firm has acted in several litigation cases concerning the Federal Finance Agency for Corona, and is further active in corporate tax restructuring. Practice head Michaela Petritz-Klar advises clients on tax proceedings and tax matters in terms of private equity, capital markets, and real estate transactions.
- Representing MiNA Therapeutics in tax proceedings before the tax courts as well as the customs office in light of reclaiming import VAT and customs duties