Mannheimer Swartling offers clients ‘strong regulatory knowledge and experience’ and is active across a very broad range of fintech areas, including regulatory issues, compliance projects, data security and privacy advice, IT matters, corporate issues and disputes. The firm draws on expertise from multiple practice areas to assist with fintech matters and key practitioners include Anders Bergsten, Carl Johan Zimdahl and Thomas Pettersson. Bergsten handles IT and technology-related projects, Zimdahl is a key name for financial regulatory issues and Pettersson has strong banking and finance capabilities. Martin Nilsson left the firm and was appointed justice at the Supreme Administrative Court.
Fintech in Sweden
Anders Bergsten; Carl Johan Zimdahl; Thomas Pettersson
‘Worked with a great team that utilised resources from all involved departments and areas of expertise which gave us a great end result.’
‘It was a great experience working with Mannheimer, especially when it came to resolving questions regarding how new technology should fit into the old framework and regulatory environment.’
‘The team we worked with had great knowledge and they put in the time and effort that you expect from a top firm.’
‘The responsible partner Carl Johan Zimdahl brought his extensive knowledge of PSD2, and the upcoming MICA, to see these questions from a larger European perspective.’
‘ The law firm has been very professional with strong engagement and high competence and has also given proof of providing legal advice, at short notice, on many different matters (national and international).’
‘Anders Bergsten has been our main contact in recent procurement projects. Anders is always very engaged in the work, meets deadlines with fast and reliable delivery, and in general supports our bank thoughout the whole procurement process.’
‘Strong regulatory knowledge and experience. The team was well resourced and delivered on a tight deadline.’
- Advised Kindred Group, one of the world’s leading online sports betting operators, in relation to a new SaaS agreement with its service provider Kambi Group PLC, regarding the extension of the parties’ sportsbook partnership.
- Advised Lysa on a SEK350m investment round.
- Represented Nasdaq OMX in its appeal of a sanction decision issued by the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (SFSA) relating to alleged violations of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation, (EU) No 648/2012 (EMIR).
Advokatfirman Vinge acts for a number of start-ups as well as established players in the fintech arena, and has expertise pertaining to payment services, data protection and cybersecurity issues, IP work and cryptocurrencies, and utilises its strong corporate and banking and finance teams for support on M&A transactions and financial services regulatory issues. The team is led by Fredrik Wilkens and Emma Stuart-Beck, with Stuart-Beck acting for large banks and payment institutions on a range of regulatory issues. Counsel Caroline Krassén is another key name for regulatory and compliance issues, particularly relating to the financial and payment services industries.
Fredrik Wilkens; Emma Stuart-Beck
Other key lawyers:
Klarna Bank AB
European Investment Bank
EQT Mid-Market US Limited Partnership
EQT Treasury AB
- Advised EQT Ventures in relation to its investment in Juni, a fintech company regulated by the SFSA.
- Regularly advising Klarna on banking and financing issues as well as regulatory advice on the Klarna services and products.
- Advised Schibsted, an international media group listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange, on its investment in Savr AB, a digital fund platform which repays all fund commission to its customers.
Gernandt & Danielsson Advokatbyrå‘s dedicated fintech team is led by Niclas Rockborn and Carl Westerberg and draws on cross-practice expertise to advise clients on financial service regulatory matters, licensing issues, data protection work and IT, IP and corporate matters, among other areas. Rockborn has over 25 years’ experience in regulatory matters and acts for e-money and payment institutions, banks and insurance clients, while Westerberg is a noteworthy name for investments, acquisitions and divestitures. Nils Unckel is another key name for financial regulatory matters.
Niclas Rockborn; Carl Westerberg
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is solution-oriented and highly commercially aware. They serve a wide range of sectors in the field of financial regulatory.’
‘Partner Niclas Rockborn has extensive experience in advising financial institutions in their most complex regulatory matters.’
‘Partner Nils Unckel is excellent in work relating to investment funds.’
The Shareholders of Sambla AB
Trustly Group AB
Cint Group AB
Nordic Capital (payments team)
Svea Bank AB
Carnegie Investment Bank
- Advising Cint Group AB on a regular basis, relating to privacy matters and various other matters.
- Advised the founders and minority investors of Sambla AB in connection with the sale of shares in Sambla to Nordic Capital Fund X.
- Advised Forex Bank Aktiebolag on changing licenses from a banking company license to payment institution licence.
The ‘extremely responsive and very knowledgeable’ Setterwalls fields a dedicated fintech practice which advises on e-commerce, e-signature, e-currency, data privacy, cybersecurity, regulatory and compliance matters. Joacim Johannesson heads up the practice and acts for domestic and international investors, entrepreneurs, start-ups and large established corporations in relation to M&A, investments and day-to-day advice. Niklas Follin is a key name for IT and IP work, and Tobias Björklund handles financial services regulatory mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Niklas Follin; Tobias Björklund; Fredrik Roos
‘My experience working with this practice is that everything always runs smoothly and that value for money is always delivered.’
‘This practice is highly experienced, knowledgeable, receptive to instructions, service minded and available.’
‘So far, I have not noted any particular weaknesses. Setterwalls’ fintech practice clearly stands out.’
‘Deep subject matter knowledge in fintech and can therefore not only refer to laws but add another layer of advice – which is exactly what we want as a newly established fintech.’
‘Extremely responsive and very knowledgeable.’
‘Best financial law firm in Sweden, other firms advertise themselves as best or professionals but are not sufficiently qualified or experienced outside of traditional questions.’
‘Industry knowledge, responsiveness, Tobias Björklund is a standout as best fintech lawyer in Sweden, understands the market very well and knows how to adapt to regulation, great strategic thinker as well.’
‘Joacim Johannesson is always professional and very knowledgeable.’
Agency for Digital Government (DIGG)
FNZ Group and (European Bank for Financial Services GmbH (eBase) – “FNZ” partners
The Central Bank of Sweden (Sveriges Riksbank)
Goobit Group AB
The Swedish Government’s Commission for investigation of the Payments markets (Betalningsutredningen)
- Advising DIGG regarding e-identification and e-signatures.
- Assisted finTech scale up/outsourcing partner FNZ with a strategic multi-jurisdiction outsourcing project with one of the major/leading banks in Sweden.
- Advising The Central Bank of Sweden on its development of an electronic currency.
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB’s dedicated team is well known for its strong data protection and financial regulatory expertise, and the practice also advises on IT mandates, public and private M&A and IP matters. The team is led by Emma Dansbo, Niklas Sinander and Anders Moberg and acts for a range of companies, with a particular focus on early and growth stage companies and their investors.
Emma Dansbo; Niklas Sinander; Anders Moberg
‘Good knowledge of my company’s sector and business. Good business acumen.’
‘Easy to work with. Responsive but not push-overs.’
BrokerTec Europe Limited
Nex Abide Trade Repository
- Advised TA Associates on its large investment in Söderberg & Partners.
- Advised Billogram on expansion matters as well as financial regulatory license matters.
- Advised Fortnox in connection with its SEK36bn list change from NGM Nordic SME to Nasdaq Stockholm’s main market.
The ‘helpful and responsive’ team at Advokatfirman Delphi is led by Agne Lindberg and senior associate John Neway Herrman and acts for start-ups and established companies on capital raisings, IPOs, outsourcings, commercial agreements and regulatory issues. Lindberg is a key name for data privacy and IP work, while Herrman handles IT and venture capital matters.
Agne Lindberg; John Neway Herrman
‘The team acted super professional during the meeting with a familiar tone and they felt well prepared.’
‘The feeling was that the team was really competent to discuss difficult issues and questions with an easy access for the client.’
‘The team complemented each other in a good way and brought the experience needed (from different angles) to the meeting.’
‘Bringing an external party to the meeting to further strengthen the team and client experience was exceptional.’
‘Service minded and have the ability to tailor legal services after the clients’ needs.’
‘Solution oriented and has specific competences regarding the fintech industry which is appreciated.’
‘John Herrman is my first point of contact at Delphi. He is business minded and understand how to serve a tech company’s needs when it comes to legal matters. He has integrity and is generous with tips, contacts and suggestions of solutions.’
‘Helpful and responsive – tailors their approach as needed to clients with varying levels of familiarity with Swedish law.’
- Advised Tessin Nordic on the successful listing on Nasdaq First North Growth Market in Sweden.
- Advised Fondab on the successful transfer of a large number of clients from one of Sweden’s largest fund managers to Fondab.
- Acting as the legal adviser to Qred in relation to raising capital.
Eversheds Sutherland is well placed to handle cross-border mandates by virtue of its international network and acts for large multinational companies and domestic entities on a broad range of fintech matters. Key areas of focus include financial regulatory matters, cryptocurrency issues, payment services, corporate matters, licensing issues and investments. Philip Heilbrunn and Tord Svensson jointly lead the team.
Philip Heilbrunn; Tord Svensson
Tessin Nordic AB
IATA (International Air Transport Association)
SMART VALOR AG
Zenith Venture Capital
- Advised The International Air Transport Association (IATA), a trade association of the world’s airlines, in relation to several requests for multi-jurisdictional advice on various fintech and regulatory issues connected to its payment services EasyPay/IATA Pay.
- Advised Tessin Nordic AB, which is the leading Nordic crowdfunding platform and arranger of web-based credit funds, in relation to structural, documentation, finance, security, and fintech-related matters.
- Advised Veoneer, a world leader in automotive safety focused on active safety and restraint control systems, in relation to an up to $509m credit and guaranty agreement with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Hammarskiöld‘s fintech offering is led by Mattias Anjou and advises a range of companies, from start-ups to large established players, on regulatory matters, licensing work, corporate takeovers and financing issues, among other areas. Anjou has considerable experience in banking and finance matters and counts banks and payment institutions on his client roster.
‘A small team where the partner is engaged and provides valuable advice across the project. This is hugely valuable as a client, and stands out from other law firm providers. Great insight and knowledge in the financial regulatory field, with in-depth understanding of the SFSA.’
Hypoteket Bolån Sverige AB
Harvest Advokatbyrå has a strong focus on financial services regulatory work and acts for a broad range of entities, including start-ups, banks, crypto-asset service providers and businesses active in the fintech sector. The team is led by managing partner Amin Bell and Anna Cumzelius, with Bell being a key contact for compliance work and Cumzelius handling regulatory issues and data protection mandates.
Amin Bell; Anna Cumzelius
‘The team’s knowledge and understanding of new legislation within the fintech industry, and cloud-based outsourcing is especially good.’
‘They are great to brainstorm our regulatory issues with.’
‘They have a broad knowledge of all our relevant areas of law which mean that they can assist us in our day-to-day business.’
‘Amin Bell and his team are able to provide us with very useful industry insights. Amin always knows what is going on the fintech market. They are particular strong within fintech.’
‘High-end and unique competence, above average compared with other firms I’ve worked with.’
‘High level of service and productivity with deep understanding and respect for the client special needs and timeline.’
‘Deep personal responsibility for me as a client. Available 24/7 and extremely high trust in deliverables.’
‘They are agile and can help with questions that have not been answered previously.’
Klarna Bank AB
Sileon AB (formerly Paynova AB)
TF Bank AB
Freetrade Europa AB
Sigmastocks Neo AB
PFC Financial Services AB
Bankgirocentralen BGC AB
Kameo Svensk Filial
Global X Digital Assets Issuer Limited
- Advised Freetrade Europa AB on its application for permission to conduct investment services in accordance with the rules in MiFID II and MiFIR.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice on the start-up process of Sigmastocks Neo AB.
- Assisting Klarna Bank AB with various legal and regulatory matters within the compliance department.
Niklas Eriksson recently re-joined Roschier from an in-house role at Klarna and has significantly boosted the firm’s offering in the fintech arena. The practice is strong on corporate and investment mandates, regulatory work and data protection issues and acts for a host of large blue-chip companies and financial institutions. Eriksson has considerable experience in finance and restructuring matters.
‘Niklas Eriksson is outstanding and the best bank finance lawyer at Roschier. Combines stellar market knowledge with exceptional commercial skills to get the deal through.’
- Advising PayPal, the global US-based mobile and online payment platform, on the sale of Tradera Sweden AB, a Sweden-based digital platform for circular consumption of second-hand items, to the managers of Tradera.
- Advising Nordstjernan on its investment in fintech company Zimpler.
Synch Advokat AB
Synch Advokat AB’s fintech team ‘knows the industry and the regulation very well’. The firm’s core focus is technology and innovation and, in the fintech sphere, it advises on financial regulatory matters, licensing issues, registrations with the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority, commercial agreements and corporate matters. Johan Ragnar, who heads up the team, has considerable experience in the banking and finance sector.
Other key lawyers:
Jim Runsten; Andreas Börjesson
‘Synch’s team of fintech lawyers know the industry and the regulation very well. They dig into the issues and engage effectively and with a pragmatic approach.’
‘Jim Runsten and Johan Ragnar have been outstanding and very helpful in getting concise and quick advice.’
‘Relevant experience in working with clients in the same sector.’
1 Bil Kredit Syd AB
The Great Collective AB (Insurely)
- Advising The Great Collective on its latest funding round, raising €19m.
- Advising 1 Bil Kredit Syd on obtaining registration as credit mediator company with the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority.
- Acting as a general adviser on the process of ValidAlpha’s successful application to register as Alternative Investment Fund with the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority.