Commercial property: Manchester in North West
Addleshaw Goddard has an experienced and highly capable bench of practitioners in the commercial property sphere. Team head Peter Kershaw is active both regionally and nationally across a wide range of sectors, with significant experience of strategic real estate transactions. Lucy Butterworth, who was promoted to partner in May 2019; she is active in the life sciences and student accommodation sectors. Legal directors Michael Corbett and Emma Tonge both have a strong breadth of experience and manage major client relationships with national retailers and local authorities. Anita Weightman is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Access to Music
Armstrong Works Limited
Bruntwood Group of Companies
Canal & River Trust
ColeWaterhouse /Priestley Family
Co-operative Group of Companies
Daventry Rail Port Limited
Deloitte & Touch LLP
Element Six (Production) Limited
Fascia Graphics Limited
Gladstone Road Exeter Limited
Hollins Strategic Land
Icon Group International Limited
J Sainsbury Group of Companies
Just Communicate Limited
LG Park HT8 Limited
- Acting for HERMES, the team forward sold 7 & 8 Wellington Place, Leeds to L&G.
- Advising on the sale and break-up strategy in relation to the Wyevale Garden Centres business, instigated by its shareholder Terra Firma.
- Advised on its £292.5m funding of MediaCityUK (major regional hub and home of the BBC, ITV, Dock10 and Ericsson) from Helaba; Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, London Branch; and Sumitomo Banking Mitsui Banking Corporation Europe Limited.
CMS has cultivated a growing team of experienced real estate practitioners in Manchester, and is involved in many of the city's largest real estate transactions. The firm is a member of the panel for Manchester Airport Group, evidencing its participation in the city's ongoing transformation. Mark Haywood leads the team across Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield, while also leading on major regeneration projects as well as on PRS schemes for residential development. Peter Winnard is known for his expertise in development funding and urban regeneration. Tanya Francis, who was promoted to partner in May 2019, has a track record of work on investment transactions.
‘The team provide an excellent service on complex projects.’
Ask Real Estate Limited
Mayfield Development Partnership
Manchester Airport Group
Far East Consortium
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Places for People Leisure Management Limited
English Cities Fund
Cromwell Property Group
New River REIT
London and Continental Railway
- Advising Vita Group on the sale of eight student accommodation developments comprising nearly 3,200 beds to German finance house DWS for around £600m.
- Advising two Canadian pension funds on their £750m initial investment into Cherry Park, Stratford, one of London’s largest single site PRS projects.
- Advising on the funding, development and investment sales of 1500 residential unit Deansgate Square, Manchester development, valued at around £750m.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's commercial property practice is active across a wide range of sectors with team head Nancy Brown prominent in financial services, healthcare and retail, handling the full spectrum of corporate real estate matters. Phillip Tunney represents industrial clients in relation to their property work, while Michael Buchanan is another key practitioner, and is noted for his experience in the structuring and delivery of annuity lease development transactions. Legal director Joanna Sowerby has a track record of work on regeneration and development projects.
Muse Developments Limited/English City Funds
Manchester Airport Group/Airport City Partnership
Kier Property Developments Limited
Evans Property Group
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
The Co-operative Bank Plc
European Tyre Enterprise Limited/Kwik Fit
Toni & Guy
Lancaster (Jardine Motor Group)
University of Manchester
- Acting for Airport City Limited Partnership on Airport City, in respect of office and hotel developments.
- Advised English Cities Fund on the £650m regeneration of ‘Salford Central’ for over a decade.
- Continue to advise Muse Developments, including acting on the £145m development of Stockport Exchange.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP has continued to rebuild its presence in the Manchester commercial property market, with a 29% growth in revenues over the last 12 months. The firm has a breadth of expertise, covering high-profile residential work, student schemes and regeneration matters, as well as a mines, minerals and energy practice. Jonathan Brocklehurst, who heads up the team, is known for his development and investment work, including regeneration projects. Supporting him is Helen Robinson, who also has expertise on regeneration matters. Matthew Rowlands is also recommended.
‘Pinsent Mason offer a strong service in logistics and industrial development. They have taken the initiative to service the sector with a service line and therefore understand the needs of the client and the respective parties in the transaction.’
‘The team has an excellent technical knowledge combined with commercial awareness which enables it to tailor its advice to meet our needs.’
Ann-Marie Salmacis is very commercial and expedient but does not put anyone or the transaction at risk. Always available.’
St Modwen Properties Plc
The Ability Group
Merseyside Pension Fund
Morgan Sindall Investments
Hines UK Limited
Rochdale Boroughwide Housing Limited
Manchester City Council
Transport for Greater Manchester
University of Chester
- Advising Bricks Capital Limited in connection with their c.860 bed student development scheme split across two phases involving property, planning and funding elements.
- Advised on the investment sale of Kirkby Town Centre and development funding agreement with Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council for the redevelopment of a retail park.
- Advising on all aspects of the procurement of a master-developer partner – Urban & Civic, for a complex joint venture to deliver the 3,500 home new garden village at Manydown in Basingstoke.
Shoosmiths LLP stands out for high-profile development work, both regionally and nationally, acting for major developer clients. The practice is led by Andrew Pattinson, who represents landowners and occupiers, with a specialism in purpose-built student accommodation. Daniel Hargreaves advises on a range of development projects for both private and public sector clients; Daniel Monaghan has experience of acting for both developers and investors on a wide range of transactions, while Lisa On-Iam has a track record of work on PRS residential development matters.
Estee Lauder Cosmetics Limited
Peel Land and Property
Euro Car Parks
Lend Lease Residential
Select Property Group
Countryside Properties Plc
Svenska Handelsbanken AB
Ted Baker Plc
Hollins Murray Group
PDI (Holdings) Limited
Bericote Properties Limited
Crown Golf Group
- Advising Allied London on the letting and disposal of a number of key elements of the £1.25bn development at Enterprise City.
- Acting for Nikal Limited in relation to the £300m leisure-development on a 17-acre site on Blackpool’s Golden Mile, adjacent to Blackpool Tower.
- Acting for Renaker on the forward sale of Salford’s tallest building, 100 Greengate to Europa Capital.
Brabners LLP's practice is organised into several specialist teams, which support the core real estate offering in advising lenders, developers and pension fund investors on complex matters. In January 2020, Roy Barry and his team joined the firm from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, bringing 'legal acumen, pragmatism, commercialism and tenacity', especially in the logistics and aviation sectors in relation to regeneration and infrastructure projects. Krista Powell, who rejoined the firm in late 2018, has built up many years of experience advising owner-occupiers, developers and investors.
‘Brabners are able to provide leading-edge real estate development advice at a sensible price, committing senior, experienced, resource throughout. They are willing to share in the risk/reward associated with complex projects and benefit from significant repeat business.’
‘Roy Barry and his team have worked on some of the biggest and most complicated development deals of recent times. Their legal acumen, pragmatism, commercialism and tenacity are second to none; wrapped up in an approachable and affable manner which makes working with them an enjoyable experience.’
Manchester Airport/The Airport City Limited Partnership
Coutts & Co
J W Lees & Co (Brewers) Limited
Easy Access Self Storage
Arbuthnot Latham & Co
Brown Shipley & Co Limited
- Advising Kids Planet Day Nurseries Limited on the £40m refinancing of a number of sites within the wider portfolio of circa 40 plus of fully operational facilities.
- Advising K Dock Developments Limited on the joint venture structure and subsequent acquisition of a key strategic site on the historic waterfront of Liverpool.
- Advising both Gamecock Limited and Jumani Holdings Limited on the disposal of a central Manchester site for the delivery of a new £35m purpose built student accommodation facility.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP assists commercial developers, owner-occupiers, contractors, and institutional funders with their commercial property needs. The practice's work includes asset management as well as property finance. Alison Key leads the team, working alongside Adrian Wallbank.
Other key lawyers:
‘Commercial, pragmatic legal advice delivered in a responsive manner.’
DLA Piper's North West real estate practice is now led by Alison Mills, with Mark Beardwood stepping into the role of regional office managing partner. Mills acts for key investment clients, while Beardwood continues to lead on major real estate investment matters in the region, advising a range of both regional and national clients. Robert Arnison specialises in development work, while Tom Kelsall is another key figure within the team, acting on cross-border transactions while also maintaining a well-established development and investment practice. Legal director Tim Williams joined the firm in August 2019 from Horizon Nuclear Power.
‘Accessible advice, both legally and commercially astute.’
‘Tom Kelsall is hardworking, very accessible and provides thorough legal advice, but is also commercial at the same time.’
Transport for Greater Manchester
Barings Real Estate Advisers
Greater Manchester Pension Fund
Capital & Centric
Balfour Beatty Investments
Greater Manchester Combined Authority
CBRE Global Investors
FI: Real Estate
Soller Real Estate
Elite Partners Capital
- Advising Elite Partners Capital, the Singaporean investment fund, on the acquisition of a cross border portfolio of 19 x Government let offices for £65m.
- Advising Capital & Centric on their Joint Venture agreement with Kamani Commercial Property to acquire and develop a mixed use scheme on a prominent site in the Northern Quarter, Manchester.
- Advised Barings Real Estate Advisers on all aspects of the 180,000 sq ft office building, Landmark St Peter’s Square, in Manchester city centre including the development pre-letting to Jones Lang LaSalle.
DWF has a broad client base comprising occupiers, developers, local authorities and funders. From 'paralegals up to partners' the team is 'committed to providing the right advice' on matters such as development projects and portfolio management. Anita Gupta leads the team and has experience on complex development transactions. Paul Inman's expertise helped to gain the firm a three-year panel appointment with Costa and Premier Inn for all their real estate work. David Frankland is also noted for representing developers, occupiers and investors. Naveen Gupta and Catherine Haslam are likewise recommended.
‘DWF at their core from paralegals up to their partners are committed to providing the right real estate advice to allow us to make to correct decisions in any transaction. They have a diverse group of people that can be contacted at any point and provide continued advice that can be trusted and is in the best interests of our business.’
‘Everyone I have personally worked with at DWF I cannot fault; however, Rachel Lawler is an exceptional solicitor who always provides timely detailed advice and will continuously go over and above to provide assistance in commercial real estate matters. She is very hard working, committed and driven to ensure where possible the correct decision is made to protect the business in the short and long term.’
Premier Inn/Whitbread Plc
The adidas Group
Speedy Hire Plc
Wirral Borough Council.
- Advising Costa as its exclusive supplier of real estate services in the UK.
- Advised Wakefield Council in relation to a deal with City and Provincial Properties for the delivery of a multi-million pound mixed used scheme to be branded Tileyard North, including creative industries space/ music studios, boutique hotel, offices and a food market.
The team at Gateley Plc has a broad range of industry expertise, covering real estate finance, residential development and commercial development. Department head Darren Hughes advises banks and funds on the real estate elements of commercial and residential developments. Rod Waldie is active on mixed use development and estate management work, while Gareth Atkinson provides 'solid advice' on estate matters.
‘Gareth Atkinson – exceptional integrity and very solid advice across a wide range of land/estates issues over many years.’
Fairhome Group Plc
Lidl Great Britain Limited
JD Sports Fashion Plc
Network Space Developments Limited
Barratt (Manchester) Limited
Hurstwood Holdings Limited
Harworth Estates Limited (North West)
LPC Living Limited and Group
Rothschild & Co Wealth Management (UK) Limited
HSBC UK Bank plc
McCarthy and Stone Retirement Lifestyles Limited
Bellway Homes Limited
Bloor Homes Limited
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
- Advised Network Space Developments Completion of letting and refinancing of new industrial development at Tunstall Stoke on Trent comprising five units.
- Advising on the relocation of the Everton Football Club’s offices from Goodison Park to the iconic Royal Liver Building in the centre of Liverpool.
- Advising Bloor Homes on the acquisition of a development site for the construction of circa 200 dwellings.
Hill Dickinson LLP is active across several sectors, including logistics and retail, acting for local authorities, property developers and banks. Jim Purves leads the team; he acts on property development matters in relation to logistics and industrial property, with notable clients including DHL. Former head of the Manchester property team Michael Blakey is well regarded, with decades of experience acting on commercial property issues. Senior associate Alistair Wallworth is 'quick at grasping issues and works hard in his client's interests.'
‘On the other side of transactions I find them to be pragmatic and easy to work with, good listeners who seek to find solutions to problems or commercial issues that work for all parties involved. They push hard to get the best outcome they can for their client and try to push things forward to get the deal done quickly.’
‘Jim Purves is an absolute gent who personifies integrity and pragmatism. He wants to get the deal done and is creative in finding solutions and adopting a commercial stance.’
‘Alistair Wallworth is a rising star and always a pleasure to deal with. He is quick at grasping issues and works hard in his client’s interests.’
Lookers Motor Group
Lloyds Banking Group
Sheffield Mutual Friendly Society
M20 Property Group
Gordon Moon Properties
Williams Lea Tag
- Advised global logistics operator DHL on the acquisition of several new warehouses.
- Advised leading motor retailer Lookers Motor Group on the acquisition of a new site in Wimbledon and the disposal of two existing sites.
- Advised Biz-Parks Ltd on the multi-million pound sale of Penketh Business Park (comprising 30 warehouses and 21 storage units).
The team at JMW Solicitors LLP is well-regarded for 'dealing with matters promptly, using the necessary people and giving meaningful advice that is actionable.' The practice is led by Warren Martin, who has a record of work assisting banks and lending institutions on property finance matters. Paul Burton offers knowledge of residential and commercial development, especially in the leisure, education and retail sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Trust is an important factor for me, and having only one principal point of contact for commercial property advice has allowed me to develop that. I know that JMW will deal with matters promptly, using the people necessary and will give meaningful advice that is actionable. In return, JMW know that I treat them as a valuable resource and rely on their expertise; they understand the nature of our business, our customers and suppliers and know if I ask for work to be undertaken it is important to us.’
Rushcliffe Assets Limited
Investar Developments Limited
Grafton Land & Property Limited
Castlemead Group Limited
Maya Property Group Limited
The Brookhouse Group of Companies
- Instructed by Rushcliffe Assets Limited as the seller of a large Primary Care Centre in the North West.
- Advising Castelmead Group on a conditional deal subject to planning for acquisition from two land owners as part of a site assembly for assisted living and a purpose built medical centre for the community with onward sale of medical centre to Assura.
- Acting for Grafton Land and Property on a conditional acquisition and onward sale to a care home operator of a site for development of creation of a centre of excellence for nursing and dementia expertise.
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP offers 'expertise and experience', acting on a range of commercial property matters. The firm works on acquisition structures alongside investment work. Nick Nyunt leads the team, which works in a 'timely and effective manner, with no stone left unturned.' Adam Hymes leads the development offering and undertakes work on infrastructure projects. Managing partner Steve Eccleston is noted for his real estate work in relation to debt finance for borrowers.
‘The team are good at returning calls in timely manner. They are happy to run through legal documentation in layman’s terms so we understand them correctly. They have a specialist in each field of real estate. They know how to prioritise.’
‘Kuits’ expertise and experience is unrivalled. The firm has developed a detailed understanding of our business to ensure their advice is practical and relevant to our needs.’
‘Due to the high level of service, we feel that Kuits offer excellent value for money. While other firms may offer cheaper estimates, our own experience has shown us that the depth of commercial expertise and experience offered by Kuits – and, importantly, the value this has added to our business – cannot be underestimated.’
‘Throughout our relationship, partner Nick Nyunt and the rest of the team at Kuits have ensured that all matters have proceeded in a timely and effective manner with no stone left unturned.’
‘Nick iNyunt s prompt in returning calls or e-mails normally within a couple of hours. He can move on transactions very quickly and has the expertise to deal with complex transactions.’
David Samuel Properties
Property Alliance Group
Stewart Milne Homes
The Ventnor Group
Trafford Housing Trust
University of Salford
- Advised the University of Salford on the sale of a high-profile and major residential development site in the city to prominent developer Salboy.
- Provided legal and commercial advice to Property Alliance Group on the funding agreement for a £60m hotel development in Manchester.
- Advised Persimmon Homes North West on the acquisition of a site for a major residential development at Lee Hall, Westhoughton, Bolton.
Mills & Reeve LLP's commercial property practice is led by the highly experienced Mike Edge, who has acted on many major development schemes in the North West; he is also responsible for managing a number of the firm's significant client relationships. Caroline Hanratty specialises in all aspects of hotel development, while principal associate Jennifer Lewis has a range of experience in real estate matters, especially in the healthcare and education sectors. Principal associate Hannah Cheminais, who joined the team from DLA Piper in early 2020, has represented both landlords and tenants on lease transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘What sets them aside is their personable nature and pragmatism. They have deep subject matter expertise and are very professional, but apply that with flexibility and pragmatism.’
‘They are personable and approachable and make an effort to be so; particularly Mike Edge and Alexandra Murphy.’
Langtree Property Partners
C. C. Projects (Church Commissioners)
Praxis Real Estate Investments
Stockport Borough Council
- Aacted for DB Symmetry (Goole) Limited in relation to the acquisition of land from Homes England; the forward funding of the site to LondonMetric Property and the grant of the occupational agreements to Croda Europe Limited of a 376,150 sq feet warehouse facility.
- Acting for Hillwood Investment Properties (a major US property company owned by the Perot family and headquartered in Dallas) on its first UK letting since Hillwood entered the UK property market in 2018.
- Acted for the University of Salford in its collaboration with Salford City Council to select a private sector partner to bring forward the regeneration of one of the largest schemes in the north west region.
Squire Patton Boggs is characterised by a 'focused team that are able to find solutions to complex problems whilst understanding the wider deal issues.' Team head Mark Barker is an expert in development work, particularly regeneration matters, with a history of representing public and private sector clients. He is recognised for 'going the extra mile to get things across the line.' Mark Gaffney, who acts on public sector funding, portfolio transactions and property joint ventures, is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very positive, flexible and deal focused team that are able to find solutions to complex problems whilst understanding the wider deal issues.’
‘Very strong relationship with our key partner/relationship manager. Pragmatic and non-point scoring advisers. Building a team to help our business grow.’
‘Mark Barker is very loyal and a strong supporter for our business. Will always make himself available whenever needed and provides pragmatic and sound advice. He does not overcomplicate when not required and will go the extra mile to get things across the line.’
‘Partners are readily available and give the deals the right level of attention. Mark Barker is a friendly face with a great work ethic. Highly knowledgeable on property matters and always able to suggest commercially viable solutions.’
Watkin Jones Group
Warrington Borough Council
Preston City Council
Manchester City Council
Leeds City Council
Transport for Greater Manchester
AIG Global Real Estate
Bespoke Hotels Limited
Stewart Milne Group
Galliford Try Investments
Fresh Property Group
- Advising Watkin Jones Group on the forward funding sale and development of a number of student and build to rent schemes for an aggregate price in excess of £220m.
- Advising Leeds City Council in relation to its HS2 Growth Strategy, particularly involving the redevelopment of Leeds station and its integration with the new HS2 station.
- Acting for Muse Developments on the joint venture with Wirral Borough Council to create the Wirral Growth Company, a £1bn regeneration opportunity.
TLT's team advises clients on real estate management, development and investment work, with key sector specialisms including leisure, retail as well as clean energy. Maria Connolly heads up the national real estate team from the Bristol office. Claire Hamilton joined from JMW Solicitors LLP in July 2019, bolstering the firm's commercial property expertise. She undertakes residential development and real estate finance work. John Hyde is another key member of the team, with twenty five years of experience across a wide range of matters.
‘We are always treated by TLT as if we are their key client. Their attention to detail is excellent. There is always someone who can pick up a point and provide a response. Nothing is too much trouble. The working relationship is excellent and always feels we are working as a team.’
‘Their knowledge is excellent.’
Landmark Investments Group
Aviva Public Private Finance Limited
Manchester Airport Group
Warrington Borough Council
Royal Bank of Scotland (incl. the National Westminster Bank brand)
Hickorys Smoke House
New World Trading Company
MCR Property Group
- Undertaking all transactional estates management work for MAG in relation to its entire occupied estate across all three airports (Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands).
- Dealing with acquisitions and disposals across entirety of Lookers’ portfolio.
- Acting for RBS & NatWest on a number of substantial real estate finance projects across the North West, including development projects and various sectors.
BLM provide an 'efficient service' with 'excellent communication', undertaking a range of public sector development and regeneration work. Stephen Lintott and Stephen Crook jointly lead the team; Lintott advises individuals and charitable bodies while Crook represents local authorities and public bodies. Tessa Leonard specialises in regeneration and infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very efficient service – communication is excellent.’
‘Stephen Lintott the principal partner, is a wealth of information, is always at hand to offer advise and gives the personal touch.’
Realty Estates Limited/Deansgate Securities LLP
Ellis Brigham Limited
Evonik UK Holdings Limited
McCaul Group Limited
GW Developments Northern Limited
The Caravan Club
University of Central Lancashire
Scarisbrick Hall School
- Advising Salboy Ltd on its acquisition of the 36 acre former Castle Irwell student campus from University of Salford for a residential-led development comprising around 500 homes.
- Representing Deansgate Securities LLP in the relation to the sale of part of the former Boddingtons Brewery Site for £21.5m to the Manchester College.
- Advising FICM Limited on its residential-led mixed use development in Salford.
Browne Jacobson LLP possesses a 'very committed and diligent team of individuals who act well on their own initiative.' The practice's strengths lie in education, public sector and development work. Dominic Buckley co-leads the team, and is known in the market for his work with major developers on residential development. Fellow co-head Victoria Thourgood helped to establish the firm's independent health and social care real estate team; her work involves both the independent sector and the public sector.
‘I have worked on a number of projects with the team – I like the fact they are cohesive and commercial, yet factor real operational problems into their dealmaking.’
‘This is a really good practice which is client focused and highly empathetic to projects and client needs. They just get the job done.’
‘Browne Jacobson work very collaboratively together and work well with external consultants within our supply chain. The practice provides a wide range of legal services which enable them to undertake all elements of transactions and support us through all stages of an acquisition through to construction.’
‘Browne Jacobson have a wide ranging skill set appropriate to all our enquiries and are helpful at every stage of process.’
‘A very committed and diligent team of individuals who act well on their own initiative and revert when instruction is required. They understand our needs as a client and what we are seeking to achieve and do not operate in the mindset of ‘deal prevention’ which many of their peers do.’
Department for Work and Pensions
Jayne Commercial Limited
Sandy Investment Limited
York Archaeological Trust
YHA (England and Wales)
DG Cities Limited
Milton Keynes Council
Option 2 Limited
Vantage Academy Trust
EJ Orr Limited
Eco Option Management Limited
Care Fertility Group
Wrightington Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust
Derbyshire Community Health Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Advised on the sale of Care Fertility Group to Silverfleet Capital, a pan-European private equity firm, for an undisclosed but significant sum.
- Advised YHA on the high value acquisition (by way of a corporate wrapper) of city centre Hostels in Liverpool and Newcastle.
- Advised DG Cities on the acquisition of new premises, the first of its kind, a centre where it could test and carry out research and development for new and innovative driverless cars.
Davitt Jones Bould is a 'specialised property firm with a great depth of experience.' The team, which is headed up by founding partner Madeleine Davitt, acts on a broad range of estates management matters as well as work for government departments, demonstrating the extent of her high-profile practice. Tony Fitzmaurice has a track record of work on many significant projects, with decades of experience in the field.
‘A very specialised property firm with a great depth of experience. They also compare well in terms of cost with large and medium sized firms.’
‘Vast experience allows for quick, commercial advice and solutions to issues, instead of creating problems.’
‘The firm concentrates on employing and providing senior/experienced solicitors who are able to provide first class legal advice in a commercial manner.’
‘Tony Fitzmaurice is very experienced in property. He is extremely sharp, on the ball and very commercial. He understands the personalities and objectives behind a deal.’
Highways England (Manchester)
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Integral UK plc
Wolf Street Food
West Yorkshire Legal Authority
Newcastle City Council (NEPO Framework)
Office for National Statistics
Norsk European Wholesale Limited
Listo (Changos) Burrito Restaurants
Diocese of Shrewsbury
Bradford City Council
Valuation Office Agency
- Advised Highways England (Manchester) on the legal work required to deliver major road schemes including the A1 Leeming to Barton.
- Advised Well Pharmacy on a number of legal issues to arise out of its large estate that includes 800 stores.
- Advising Defra on all of the issues to arise out of its £3bn estate.
Fieldfisher's practice is praised for its 'strong focus on providing excellent commercial advice across a full range of property areas.' Liam Buckley, who heads up the team, has a depth of experience and is known for his work on major development projects in Mancheste . He is supported by legal director Michael Dulhanty, known as a 'thoughtful and intellectually strong lawyer.' Alongside Buckley he manages and develops the firm's panel relationship with the Co-operative Group.
‘The practice has a strong focus on providing excellent commercial advice across a full range of property areas.’
‘Michael Dulhanty is a lawyer with a very strong commitment to providing exceptional personal service. He is a thoughtful and intellectually strong lawyer able to think through the issues, but always available to his clients. He also has good commercial awareness.’
Aura Finance Limited
Co-operative Group Limited
Deutsche Asset Management
Standard Chartered Bank Limited
West One Loan Limited
Vision Investments One Limited
Richer Sounds Limited
- Acted for booking.com on the acquisition of circa 230,000 square feet for a new headquarters office building at Manchester Goods Yard, St John’s, Manchester.
- Acted for Downtown in connection with the site acquisition, development and plot sales for c350 apartments at Downtown Salford, of which 160 were legally completed over the course of six weeks.
- Acting on behalf of DWS in relation to the acquisition, pre-let and forward funding of a 525,000 square foot logistics distribution warehouse to be developed in Corby, Northamptonshire.
Knights plc, which took over Manchester firm Turner Parkinson in 2018, handles development work, plot sales and asset management within the commercial property sphere.
The 'extremely diligent' practice at Slater Heelis handles a range of residential real estate matters and is building up its credentials on auction work. Department head Will Henson has two decades of experience in commercial property work and leads the firm's relationship with long-term client Brammer UK. Jonathan Kay, who joined the firm from Knights plc, acts for developers, property funds and ground rent specialists. Nicola Deutsch heads up the team's residential development arm.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very friendly firm with a broad wealth of knowledge within the practice.’
‘A very knowledgeable team with a keen eye for detail. Extremely diligent giving great confidence that no stone remains unturned and nothing is missed. A prompt and efficient service from the team.’
Brammer UK Limited No
Towerhouse Systems Limited No
Mason Developments (Management) NW Limited
- Over 25 years we have acted for Brammer in over 360 property transactions, supporting their business through “thick and thin”. Brammer are a typical Slater Heelis client, where sound advice and a commercial approach are rewarded with long term retention.
- Acted the acquisition of a substantial area of land at Cringle Road, Levenshulme. The contract was conditional on the grant of planning permission for 57 new dwellings. For the client, this particular acquisition was of prime importance to the growth of the company. Towerhouse have hitherto focussed on more modest schemes.
- Acted for Mason Developments in the sale of the freehold of a block of 17 apartments and grounds. There were a number of complicating factors to resolve. These included environmental issues (the site being adjacent to a petrol station), the surrender of existing leases relating to 5 family owned flats and the acquisition of immediately adjacent land that fell outside the title (but which was utilised by the occupiers of theproperty).
Weightmans LLP handles matters on both a regional and national basis, undertaking development and regeneration work. Andrea Steventon co-leads the team and recently acted on the disposal of a large greenfield site for phased development. Fellow co-head Karl Jackson is an expert on city centre regeneration, with experience acting for public and private sector clients.
‘Weightmans has the benefit of offering all aspects of legal advice specialisms as a one-stop-shop. We are able to rely on Weightmans for all of our land acquisition, contract negotiations, due diligence, tax and planning advice. Furthermore, our key representatives will digest this information from colleagues and report as a single point of contact.’
‘The individuals we deal with are professional in every respect. They are pleasant to deal with and work to build a good working relationship/rapport with the other side to assist with ensuring contractual negotiations are are expedient and problem free as possible.’
Cheshire Green Employment Park Limited
Phillip Posnett t/a Cheshire Green
Thomas Jones & Sons (Liverpool) Limited
- Continuing to act for the developer, Cheshire Green Employment Park, in respect of the development of a 1.5m² sqft new business park within Cheshire.
- Advising Barratts on the separate acquisitions of sites at Pewterspear Green Road, Appleton, Warrington for the development of 180 dwellings and Appleton Cross, Appleton for 370 dwellings.
- Advised on the sale of Oriel Chambers, Liverpool – acting on behalf of Bruntwood Estates Alpha Portfolio in connection with the investment disposal of the multi-let property.
The 'commercial and pragmatic' team at Freeths LLP is led by Ian Tempest, who has experience of a wide range of work including public and private sector partnerships. Stephen Lewis is a key figure in the practice and is regarded 'exceptional' when it comes to real estate transactions. His clients include property companies, funds and high net worth individuals. Paul Bibby is also recommended, handling residential property investment matters.
‘They have very strong specialisms in all sectors, very commercial with a pragmatic view. They value their clients.’
‘Stephen Lewis is exceptional in real estate transactions, and will take a commercial view. I have worked with him for 15 years, following him when he moved practice. I trust his judgement 100%.’
Barratt Developments plc
Vabeld UK Limited
Seven Capital plc
Nottinghamshire County Council
Derby City Council
Ingleby (1245) Limited
Evenbrook Group of Companies
De Trafford Estates Limited
Property Alliance Group
Select Property Group
- Acted for Glenbrook in negotiating the conditional acquisition of a residential development site in Media City, Manchester in conjunction with negotiating a Development Management Agreement with Latimer Developments to build out on their behalf.
- Acted for Vabeld in the delivery of a hotel for Quest Aparthotel in Liverpool.
- Advising Wigan Council on a scheme to secure the redevelopment of five major housing sites, forming part of a former housing estate.
Irwin Mitchell has a 'experienced and dedicated' team which is 'unafraid to give the right advice.' It is led by Roy Beckett, who has an 'exceptional knowledge of the Manchester property market' and acts on investment transaction matters as well as corporate real estate occupier work. He has a record of work for local authorities and developer clients.
‘Experienced, dedicated and unafraid to give the right advice.’
‘An unrivalled in depth knowledge of the commercial property market in Manchester and an exceptional level of attention to detail to ensure that even from the point at which heads of terms are being discussed, the client is guided to get the best terms.’
‘Honesty, dedication, perseverance and valued opinions.’
‘Roy Beckett has an exceptional knowledge of the Manchester property market and is able to provide advice on terms ensuring the client has the best available deal. He will review each lease in great detail to make sure that his client’s interests are best served. All of this is done in a positive and open manner where all options are clearly explained to the client.’
Goals Soccer Centres
General Medical Council
Bridgewater Road Holdings
Select Property Group
- Acting for Select Property Group / Vita –Project Swift on the disposal of St Albans, Leeds and Pebble Mill, Birmingham, being two of eight Vita student residences sold to DWS Group.
- Advising National Grid on Project Piccadilly – hive across of the North West gas distribution network’s constituent assets supporting National Grid’s sale of the national distribution network to Cadent Gas Limited, involving the transfer of approximately 4,500 properties and an overall enterprise value of £13.8bn.
Kennedys' practice acts on a range of commercial property matters, covering real estate finance as well as landlord and tenant work. Angela Bhaseen, who leads the team, has a wide array of real estate experience with specific sector expertise in logistics and retail.
Bolton Borough Council
MPH Ancoats Limited
Bolton Borough Council
Silva Timber Holdings Limited and Silver Timber Products Limited
Protective Forsikring ASA
Newly Weds Foods Inc
International Travel Group Limited
Sheffield United Football Club Limited
Wilkinson Group SIPP
Oaknorth Bank Plc
Mazars LLP (new for property)
MLM Ltd (trading as ACN Europe)
Centric House Limited
- Advising Newly Weds Foods Inc on real estate matters and working with the Corporate and Employment teams on the cross-border share acquisition of Jigsaw Foods Limited.
- Advised Sheffield United Football Club Limited on the acquisition of retail premises in Meadowhall Shopping Centre.
- Advised Protector on new leasehold acquisition of premises at 3 Hardman Street, Spinningfields, Manchester.
Nexus Solicitors Limited
Nexus Solicitors Limited's practice, which increased its turnover by 9% in the last financial year, is known for its retail expertise. Des O’Driscoll, the head of team, acts for investors and surveyors; the firm also handles landlord and tenant matters.
The 'very professional and personable' team at Pannone Corporate LLP works with range of clients in the leisure, retail and logistics sectors. James Wynne heads up the team, which regularly advises on commercial property joint ventures and acquisitions.
‘The team provides a very professional and personable approach for our SME business.’
‘Very good at planning the issues and helping clients to understand any problems.’
Mersten Holdings Limited
Alternative Futures Group
Junkyard Golf Club Group
Oliver James Associates Limited
Manchester Central Convention Centre
Bunny Jacksons Juke Joints Limited
Stockport Homes Limited
Cartwheel Lettings (Middleton) Limited
GTV (Crowley) Ltd
- Advised Junkyard Golf Club on its largest venue to date at 9 Appold Street London.
- Advised Kamani Property Group on a 50:50 Joint Venture with Capital & Centric in relation to a strategic development in Manchester’s Northern Quarter.
- Advised Kamani Property Group on acquisition of a 13,000 sq ft former warehouse (Knott Mill).
Trowers & Hamlins LLP acts for property companies on various commercial property matters including sales, purchases and asset management. The firm has also advised housing associations on residential development schemes. Suzanne Benson, who leads the team, has a range of expertise including work on regeneration projects.
Wolverhampton City Council No
St Helens Borough Council
St Albans Council
Stevenage Borough Council
Rowlinson Construction Ltd
Ainscough Strategic Land Limited
Patrick Properties Limited
Beechlane Investments Limited
Swanton Care and Community Limited
- Acted for Homes England on the acquisition and amalgamation of the King’s school site in Macclesfield, which will deliver approximately 300 new homes to the area.
- Acting for Midia Group Limited (through subsidiary company Beechlane Investments Limited) on a scheme which entails the development of the Trinity Gateway site in Bolton.
- Advising Hermes Property Unit Trust on the sale of the listed Elliott House in Deansgate, Manchester.