Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki focuses on the maritime and aviation sectors, with an experienced team acting in disputes, insurance matters, and financing transactions. Clients include major Turkish and international shipping and logistics companies, European banks, and a number of P&I clubs. The team is led by Gülistan Baltacı Hatay, who acts for a wide range of shipping and aviation clients on insurance claims, civil litigation, and financing contracts, alongside Semih Sander, a shipping and admiralty specialist heavily involved in contentious accident and pollution claims for ship owners and P&I clients.
Firms in the Spotlight Transport
Transport in Turkey
Gülistan Baltacı Hatay; Semih Sander
‘We highly appreciate Mrs. Gulistan Baltaci’s and Selin’s efforts to assist us with proper actions and advice.‘
‘The most proactive firm I have worked with anywhere in the world. I never have to chase for updates. Their advice is sound and their attention to detail and level of organization is unparalleled. ’
‘Clear, concise, sound advice. Very proactive in their actions and updates. I can leave things in their hands and just trust that they will get on with it and keep me updated as needed. It’s like having them as part of my team!’
TOLL Global Logistics
Ocean Network Express
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation
DNV GL Turkey
Wärtsilä Finland Oy
United Insurance Brokers Ltd. (UIB) & Navigators Insurance (Navigators)
- Advising Mersin International Port on claims of approximately $40m by a service provider.
- Representing Toll in proceedings relating to maritime law and aviation disputes.
- Representing Ocean Network Express in a wide variety of disputes including container demurrage, damage to or loss of cargo, CIP disputes, and regulatory services.
Erçin Bilgin Bektasoglu is praised for its 'boutique' expertise in transport law, across shipping, road transport, aviation, and logistics. The team handles a large amount of litigation and contentious claims, including cargo contamination, insurance, and maritime salvage proceedings, often working with international shipping firms on cross-border issues. Other clients include international flag carriers and transport logistics companies. The 'excellent' team is led by specialist lawyers Feyzi Erçin, Burcu Celikcapa Bilgin, and Dilek Bektasoglu Sanli, who each offer extensive experience across the full range of transport issues, both in advisory and contentious matters.
Feyzi Erçin; Burcu Çelikçapa Bilgin; Dilek Bektaşoğlu Sanlı
‘The firm is boutique in terms of transport and insurance law. It has a dynamic, hard working team and is available at all times. They are well educated and have good knowledge of law and commercial issues and are quick in responding. They are also very reliable and reputable.’
‘The team is very responsive and quick and provide clear advice.’
Verein Hanseatischer Transportversicherer
Stuart Shephard Law
Türkiye Şişe ve Cam Fabrikaları
Clyde & Co
Razan International Limited
- Advised ANA as the Japanese flag carrier on the legal requirements under Turkish law relating to flights between Turkey and Japan.
- Advised Skuld on an MEG cargo contamination claim.
- Advised VHT on a €1m salvage claim.
Ersoy Bilgehan Lawyers & Consultants has a strong profile in the shipping sector, representing a wide range of shipping and logistics companies, P&I clubs, charterers, and insurers in matters ranging from ship finance to disputes. This broad expertise has seen the firm pick up mandates from international clients as well as major domestic businesses. The team is led by Ergün Ersoy, a highly-regarded figure in wet shipping law who handles insurance claims, collisions, and admiralty law, alongside senior partner Zihni Bilgehan, who advises charterers and ship owners on financing and logistics matters.
Ergun Ersoy; Zihni Bilgehan
‘My go-to lawyers in Turkey. When I have an issue over there, the first thing I would do is to call them to ensure that no one else retains them before I do. They are forward thinkers, they always come up with a solution and resolve the problems quickly at a reasonable price. They are very fast and find commercial and pragmatic solutions.’
‘The practice is extremely responsive and commercial, as well as having an in-depth knowledge of shipping. The practitioners are approachable and user-friendly, and all of the lawyers I have dealt with have an excellent command of English. The fact that the practice deals with clients from a host of countries means that they can tailor their offering to the needs of the particular client they are assisting. The knowledge of Zihni Bilgehan as to how the P&I clubs operate, including his lengthy stint working for one of the London clubs, means that the firm usually knows what advice and outcome the client is seeking. In my view, there is no other firm in Turkey that has this offering. ’
‘It is a great team which is very well connected locally and internationally. Their success comes from having very talented lawyers with different skillsets and this in turn creates great results.
‘Dynamic and highly knowledgeable practice with good ethics.’
‘Zihni Bilgehan – highly intelligent and always reachable.’
‘Not only do they advise on the legal aspects of a claim, they have also provided excellent advice on commercial approaches in addressing and handling claims.’
COSCO Shipping Lines
West of England (P&I) Club
Steamship Mutual (P&I) Club
The Swedish Club
UK Mutual (P&I) Club
Britannia (P&I) Club
TT P&I Club
Gard P&I Club
Genel Denizcilik Nakliyatı
American President Lines
State Corporation Deposit Insurance Agency
CertAsig Insurance and Reinsurance
Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation
Thomas Miller Specialty
- Representing Palmali Shipping in a claim of $2bn against Litasco in English legal proceedings.
- Represented Persenk Maritime in proceedings before Turkish courts and administrative bodies pursuant to a collision between a dry bulk carrier and a general cargo ship, and assisted the clients in the exchange of securities between the P&I insurers of the two vessels.
- Represented SynerGas in relation to a serious fire and explosion at a Turkish LNG terminal involving the M/T SYN ZANIA resulting in fatality and injury, as well as serious damage to the shore facility and the ship.
NSN Law Firm has strong capabilities in contentious maritime and shipping matters, including ship collisions, environmental pollution, personal injury, and cargo claims, with lawyers qualified to perform arrest procedures in maritime claims. The firm also handles ship building and financing matters. Clients include domestic and European shipping companies and P&I clubs, while lawyers also regularly work with Turkish shipping authorities on salvage claims. The team is headed by casualties and pollution specialist Nazlı Selek, contracts and insurance-focused Sevilay Kuru, and Mehmet Nedret Ünlü, who represents clients in transport and employment disputes.
Sevilay Kuru; Mehmet Nedret Ünlü; Nazlı Selek
‘Long lasting 15 year relationship with the firm – they are professional and friendly ’
‘A very shipping oriented law firm which provides legal advice on various maritime issues. ’
‘Longstanding and firmly embedded in the Turkish shipping sector, with a strong corporate /commercial perspective.’
‘Responsive and knowledgeable.’
STANDARD P&I CLUB
OMUR MARINE LTD
NORTH OF ENGLAND P&I
BRITISH MARINE LTD
- Representing the interests of the vessel LOUTRO in settlement negotiations with the General Directorate of Coastal Safety in respect of salvage services given to the vessel after grounding at the Dardanelles.
- Representing the owners and chief officer of the vessel UND ATILIM before criminal proceedings commenced as a result of the death of a subcontracted worker on board the vessel while at Mersin Port.
- Representing MSC on a pollution fine imposed on the vessel XIN SHANGAHI at Port of Mersin.
Cavus & Coskunsu Law Firm is a go-to name for dedicated shipping work, assisting clients across the full spectrum of maritime-related issues, including ship and cargo insurance, ship finance, disputes and litigation, and ship repairs. The firm is also heavily involved in marine collision and casualty cases, including rapid-response services during ongoing crises. The practice is overseen by dedicated maritime litigator Burak Çavus, an experienced practitioner in contentious enforcement, bankruptcy, and finance issues, alongside insurance and salvage specialist Caglar Çoskunsu. Onur Azaklı is also noted for her role in collision and injury-based litigation and arbitration.
Burak Cavus; Caglar Coskunsu
Other key lawyers:
‘Top class. Very user friendly and real knowledge of the market.’
‘Caglar Coskunsu is a star player. Someone who has real sea time experience but is a first rate lawyer. A go to in the Turkish market. Burak Cavus is excellent with any transaction. He knows all the ins and outs and provides his clients with real confidence. Onur Azakli is a lawyer you want on your side when you are in a hard corner. First rate legal expertise.’
‘I would like to mention three lawyers, Onur Azakli, Nilufer Gokdemir and Gokce Bayram. Ms Azakli is from a mariner family and is very successful in our matters with the Ministry of Transportation. Ms Gokdemir specializes in port operations, where she has successfully defended us in difficult cases.’
‘A strong balance of legal and commercial acumen. Their speciality in maritime matters and certainly on litigious matters is another great asset. They are fast, efficient, commercial and always very understanding and responsive to our needs. ’
‘Burak is an excellent lawyer who provides a clear understanding of the matters and ensures that the dispute is resolved in favour of his clients in the most effective way. He also has a great commercial approach when it is most needed.
‘The Cavus & Coskunsu team is highly efficient and excellent at emergency response. They are always very quick to attend and get a grip of matters. The team has great expertise both legally and also technically, with former expert and master mariners on their team.
‘ Caglar Coskunsu and Burak Cavus are very well known and have a great reputation in the market. They always take a leading role in all sorts of disputes and they are always able to provide solution-oriented legal services, which are both effective and commercial when needed.’
‘Good connections, as well as the negotiation skills to find a solution with governmental bodies, which are usually very strict.’
The Swedish Club
Assuranceforeningen Skuld P&I
Gard P&I (Gard (Singapore) Pte. Ltd)
Credit Europe Bank N.V
The London P&I
Istanbul Sehir Hatlari
Istanbul Deniz Otobusleri A.S.
Heidelberg Cement Group
Vienna Insurance Group
- Advised Istanbul Deniz Otobusleri on the $10.5m sale of vessel TURGUT OZAL, one of the High Speed Crafts in IDO’s fleet.
- Represented The Swedish Club with regard to the $6m interests of vessel SONGA IRIDIUM, which ran aground and made contact with the shore during her passage through the Bosporus.
- Advising Bekim on a $2m matter relating to the collision of vessel ONE BLUE JAY.
Inal Law Office advises shipyards, terminal and port operators, banks, insurers, financial services providers, and ship-owners on a range of maritime matters, including ship purchase and export, financing, construction, and arbitration. Yacht construction, purchases, and transportation form a key part of the firm's work, supporting a number of Turkish and European clients in such matters. The team is led by Şeyma İnal, who advises a wide range of maritime clients on acquisitions, financings, and insurance matters, alongside senior counsel Memil Sarısözen, who offers construction and shipping experience from previous in-house roles.
Seyma Inal; Memil Sarısözen
‘Very good balance of legal and commercial skills. Outstanding follow up on any governmental tasks and process. ’
‘ They have real experience in the marine industry. During consultation, we get accurate and practical advice. They share their own experience with the client.’
‘Effective and proactive boutique law firm.’
‘Available, sharp, energetic and charismatic.’
‘I have been working with Seyma Inal and her team for some 25 years. Seyma’s experience is, in my view, unparalleled, but the most important reason for my trust in her is her honesty and integrity, which is fundamentally important in what can be a very difficult jurisdiction.’
‘Thorough knowledge of Turkish law regarding transport practice, and the ability to provide advice on those matters in a very quick manner. ’
‘Seyma Inal is always accessible and responsive, and her – and her team’s – advice is thorough and prompt. She is excellent to work with.’
Wikborg Rein LLP
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt AS
MSC Cruises SA
Eli Charters LLC
Sarp Havacılık Lojistik Turizm Sanayi ve A.Ş.
Ganado Services Limited
Alacante Shipping BV
Lionspirit Holdings Inc.
Galata Liman Isletmeleri Anonim Sirketi
Atlantic Forwarding Ltd.
International Road Transport Union
Terminal Investment Limited
Tersan Tersanecilik Taşımacılık Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Advised Escape Artist on the purchase of two semi built super yachts and conducted the registration of the yachts with the Turkish New Building Registry in the name of the clients, alongside supervising the exportation of the yachts from Great Britain.
- Terminal Investment on the acquisition of 50% shares of Marport, Turkey’s largest container terminal operating company.
- Advised Eli Charters on the examination of the yacht construction agreement with respect to the purchase of a 75-meter super-yacht.
Çakmak Attorney Partnership has expertise across the aviation, road transport, and rail sectors, advising on a number of project development and financing matters. Clients include lender banks, aerospace companies, constructors, sponsors, and government bodies, with PPP arrangements a common source of work. The practice's leadership team includes a range of expertise, with Mesut Çakmak regularly advising on construction and operational matters for road transport and aviation projects, while Zeynep Çakmak works on project finance and privatisation matters. Serap Zuvin specialises in aviation finance, while S. Mustafa Durakoglu is heavily involved in large-scale infrastructure financing, including the New Istanbul Airport project.
Mesut Çakmak; Zeynep Çakmak; Serap Zuvin; Mustafa Durakoğlu
‘Knowledgeable about the detailed governmental requirements for aircraft leasing in Turkey and good contacts for dealing with aircraft operator customers.’
‘Serap Zuvin is approachable and has excellent contacts within domestic operators and in international forums such as the IBA and AWG – so a good understanding of the requirements of international lessors in Turkey.’
International Road Union
China Railway Rolling Stock Corp
Boeing International Corporation
- Advised ERG, as borrower and sponsor, with regard to the financing of the Ankara-Niğde Motorway Project.
- Advised CRRC on the procurement and commissioning of driverless metros.
- Advising Boeing International Corporation with respect to its ongoing and potential business activities in Turkey.
TILEGAL - TOPDEMIR INANDIOGLU KOMUC LAW OFFICE represents insurers in claims and litigation relating to shipping, including cargo damage, ship breakdown and collisions, and contract breaches. The team also acts for businesses transporting cargo and shipping companies. The team is led by Savaş İnandioglu and Cem Topdemir, experienced insurance and disputes lawyers.
Savas Inandioglu; Cem Topdemir
Mapfre Insurance Turkey
HDI Insurance Turkey
AXA Insurance Turkey
ISS Shipping Turkey
Island Oil Limited
African Mediterranean Shipping
Golden Destiny Maritime Company
CLASS NK Turkey Branch
Zurich Insurance Turkey
Royal Sun Alliance Insurance Group
Deugro Logistics GmbH
HDA Power Enerji Depolama Sistemleri
- Advised HDI Insurance as insurers of the aluminium hydroxide carried on a vessel that had broken down off Constanta during her voyage to Turkey. Taking action and discovery of evidence in order to determine whether the vessel’s breakdown had occurred during the voyage and whether the vessel was seaworthy before launch.
- Advised HDI Insurance as insurers of a cargo of soya beans which were badly damaged by insufficient ventiliation aboard their cargo ship.
- Representing Royal Sun Alliance in settlement negotiations relating to a recourse claim.