The Warsaw-based team at Crido Legal has expertise in advising owners and managers of large corporations on their private client needs, including tax, property and asset-related matters, as well as corporate and commercial transactions. Cross-border mandates are also within the team’s skill set. Commercial law specialist Mateusz Baran leads the team and is praised for his 'extensive knowledge and experience', and senior associates Marzena Lau, Katarzyna Żółcińska and Michał Klimowicz are also of note.
Private client in Poland
‘I appreciate Crido’s ability to pay attention to detail and to see the bigger picture of the transaction at the same time. What also stands Crido apart from other law firms is the business focus of their team – they handle not only legal issues but also all practical aspects of the project, and most importantly, they are exceptional lawyers with great knowledge and understanding of business.’
‘This is the best team of lawyers I have worked with in my 30-year business career. They offer a very comprehensive approach to problems that are analysed on several legal, tax and corporate levels. In my opinion, they have a unique and exceptional methodology of work, as well as the way of preparing and developing documents.’
‘The Crido team has a good understanding of the business I run and the markets I operate in, which makes our collaboration much easier. Thanks to the firm’s many specialised teams of experts, I receive appropriate advice in many areas such as estate management, taxation, investments, corporate management etc.’
‘The entire team has rich experience, which gives me the comfort to work and achieve my business goals. They have both good communication and project management skills. The service was perfectly tailored to my needs and working with Crido was a pleasure as I felt my legal issues were in good hands, leaving me to focus on my day-to-day business.’
‘I like working with Crido due to their responsiveness and good communication. Mateusz Baran and Katarzyna Żółcińska provide legal advice tailored to the specifics of the particular client and they explain proposed solutions so it is perfectly understandable, even in the case of complex legal matters.’
‘Mateusz Baran and Marzena Lau always respond quickly and efficiently to our needs. If there is a need to involve people from other teams, e.g., tax teams, etc., they choose a team with which the cooperation also runs smoothly.’
‘Mateusz Baran has extensive knowledge and experience that he can perfectly use in our projects. I also appreciate him for his quick response and valuable comments.’
‘Michał Klimowicz is always ready for new challenges, and he approaches them with a high level of professionalism.’
- Advised Mr Damian Piotrowski on the safe acquisition of new assets to his estate and the subsequent rebuilding of the structure of his existing assets.
- Advising Pedro Sors, CEO at US-based Avenger Flight Group, one of the largest groups selling training time on full flight simulators worldwide, which has branched out into Poland.
Piotr Andrzejczak, Joanna Wierzejska and Marek Swiatkowski jointly head the private client team at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka. Andrzejczak is a company and M&A law expert, Wierzejska is skilled in handling tax advice and Swiatkowksi specialises in M&A, commercial contracts and transactions. The practice advises private entrepreneurs and their families on their legal and tax needs as well as succession planning and family trust fund matters. Core sectors of focus for the group include retail, production and pharmaceutical.
‘The cooperation with Domański Zakrzewski Palinka is always a pleasure. They have a big team of specialists – they can cover many topics, are ready to find the best options and are able to work fast if the client really needs it. There is no topic they can’t help with and are also very flexible with appointments dates, places and rules. They are always our first choice to work with.’
‘A great team that is trustful, experienced, hardworking, understanding, fully involved and full of ideas.’
‘Piotr Andrzejczak is a great expert who, besides possessing very good know-how and great experience, also knows the specifics of the family companies – he really tries to find the best answers and he quickly gains trust from the family business owners.’
Benefit Multimedia sp. z o.o. S.K..
PATH Law LLP
PATH Law LLP was one of the first dedicated private client law firms in Poland. The team offers support to domestic and international high-net-worth individuals regarding transactions, complex tax projects, trusts and estate issues, wealth management, family relocation and asset structuring. The group is led by private wealth law specialist Piotr Augustyniak, taxation and benefits expert Tomasz Hatylak and commercial, corporate and civil law specialist Dominika Mizielińska. Senior associate Kinga Romanovska is adept at handling international tax law.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is fully dedicated to private clients and composed of senior lawyers which gives efficiency in costs. They were perfectly prepared for COVID-19: advanced IT standards, secured connection lines and availability of the team from any place in the world. When others were trying to adapt, they were and are ready to perform.’
‘I appreciate the team’s personalised approach to the needs of the client. Since the firm concentrates on high net-worth individuals, such an approach is a must in order to build necessary trust between the firm and the client.’
‘PATH really are specialists in private client work. They know about the needs of HNWIs and UHNWIs and the peculiarities of that kind of legal business. They know how their clients think and they hold close relations to their clients. This is the best setup for an outstanding private client practice.’
‘Piotr Augustyniak is the brightest star in the galaxy; a real entrepreneur, innovative and agile. He has a modern approach combined with perfect understanding of international law. He always has a vision of the future and focuses on the result in a fully compliant way.’
‘Kinga Romanovska’s dedication to the case and work is enormous. She is perfectly organised and is able to structure any project, keeping the discipline for her, her colleagues but also for me as the client. The best project manager with state-of-the-art delivery.’
‘Piotr is really energetic and lively and manages to convey the passion he has.’
‘Tomasz is the calm thinker who wishes to bring things beyond the finishing line.’
The private wealth team at SSW Pragmatic Solutions handles a wide spectrum of private client matters for entrepreneurs, families, individuals and investors, with a particular focus on tax and legal matters on an international scale. The group is also adept at handling estate and business succession, litigation and family law mandates. Patrycja Goździowska, Wojciech Szczepaniak and Tomasz Wickel are the practice heads. Legal advisor Paweł Chyb is skilled in transaction advice, company and commercial law.
‘We have worked with SSW for many years; we can always count on very reliable service and advice and collaboration is at the highest levels.’
‘Mrs Patrycja Gozdziowska has a great knowledge of taxes.’
Founders of Custom sp. z o.o.
Elwira and Roman Stanisławscy
Senior Partners of Innova Investments LLC
Pictet Wealth Management
- Advising a private investor regarding the development of a concept of VAT exemption for the services of persons co-managing alternative investment companies based on CJEU jurisprudence, treating the services of persons providing investment analysis and similar services to ASI managers as services provided by an external entity.
- Assisted the client with devising an effective restructuring concept for a capital group operating hotels across the country whose business has been affected by the pandemic
Wardynski & Partners
The private client practice at Wardynski & Partners advises high-net-worth individuals and their families on various core areas including their legal and tax needs regarding asset planning and investment, succession planning and wealth management, property restitution and estate planning matters, and immigration and citizenship issues. Warsaw-based tax advisor Dariusz Wasylkowski, managing partner Stefan Jacyno and Kraków-based dispute resolution specialist Paweł Mazur all lead the team. Krzysztof Wiktor is also a lawyer of note and is praised as an ‘excellent negotiator.’
‘Wardynski and Partners is a very strong brand. The name to me means reliability and quality. People collaborate within departments and other firms to find best solutions to clients. They are ready to help despite ongoing cases and obligations if something new occurs. They are flexible and agile compared to their competition.’
‘The attorneys demonstrate outstanding knowledge of local issues related to inheritance law. They communicate with us clearly and frequently, were flexible during the pandemic, worked well with other attorneys I retained, and coordinated internationally.’
‘The team is very professional and it has always been a pleasure to work with them. They are able to bring true value for the client and they have a tailored approach to each client, diving deep in each matter. All of the lawyers are experienced and understand the industry specifics of clients.’
‘I would especially highlight Dariusz as he has extensive experience working as a private client lawyer. He is not only a great lawyer, but also an excellent team leader. He is pragmatic, dedicated and has diverse experience. Dariusz always understands what clients need and strives to find the quickest and most efficient solution.’
‘I worked most closely with Radosław Wiśniewski and Anna Olejniczak-Michalska, both of whom were outstanding. I would highly recommend them and their firm.’
‘Krzysztof Wiktor has exceptional knowledge on Real Estate, is an excellent negotiator, takes full ownership of a complex legal case, effectively manages a team of associates, communicates in multiple languages, is able to effectively foresee opportunities and professionally manages legal risks.’
‘Dariusz Wasilkovski qualifies as the best tax partner.’
- Advising a high-net-worth Polish-American family regarding its investments in real estate in Poland and business opportunities in the garment industry.
- Acting for US-based heirs of a Polish pre-WWII industrial tycoon family in pursuing PLN30m property restitution claims.
- Acting for a client in successfully convincing the court to side with the team’s own new interpretation of pre-WWII Polish rules on Polish citizenship.
Clifford Chance ‘s private client work is an offshoot of the firm’s corporate team, and its lawyers are particularly adept at supporting high-net-worth individuals in their private investments, personal employment matters, tax issues and disputes. The firm’s international presence is advantageous for generating cross-border mandates. Managing partner Agnieszka Janicka leads the group, and Bartosz Krużewski and Marcin Ciemiński are also key names.
- Representing a private client and former owner of the majority stake in a publicly listed construction company in a post-transactional corporate dispute.
- Advised Mr Tomasz Misiak and Mr Tomasz Hanczarek in relation to the redemption of bonds issued by Work Service S.A. and the sale of shares in Work Service S.A. held by Mr Tomasz Misiak and Mr Tomasz Hanczarek.
The private client team at DLA Piper offers advice to domestic and internationally-based high-net-worth individuals and their families, managers and executives across dispute resolution, corporate and M&A transactions and tax, real estate and employment issues. Tomasz Rudyk handles criminal and fiscal cases, Agnieszka Filipiak-Lechman is noted for her employment law expertise and Bartosz Matusik is a tax advisor.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good cross-functional team and very pragmatic and practical.‘
‘Strong team members.‘
‘Bartosz Matusik: A high degree of professionalism, which is essential for reliable qualitative results.‘
‘Outstanding‘ tax advisor Aldona Leszczynska heads the private client practice at GWW. The team supports high-net-worth individuals and family-owned enterprises on tax issues, estate planning and succession matters in addition to establishing asset-protection structures. Senior associate Tomasz Krzywanski and associate Tomasz Piejak are also notable names within the group.
‘The team is client focused, empathetic and very often ahead of the market with good communicators.’
‘The team’s key strengths and capabilities are the following: A pragmatic and straightforward approach to efficiently provide suitable solutions, great international experience and a deep understanding of specific needs of the industry.’
‘This team makes a great go-between with their clients and the foreign law firms working on personal taxation matters. They always ask the right questions, look for alternatives and communicate well the conclusions to their clients.’
‘We had an opportunity to work with the team on various projects relating to international tax and legal planning. I found them very competent and truly good at dealing with HNWI issues where you need the expertise and the business approach to resolve issues.’
‘Aldona has a very good recognition of the market, trends and legal and tax knowledge in international cases. It’s a pleasure to work with her.’
‘Aldona Leszczyńska-Mikulska is very reactive, passionate about tax and very implicated in our international network.’
‘Tomasz Krzywański is very commercial and hands on. He provides relevant, innovative and pragmatic solutions with excellent knowledge of international tax considerations. He has an in-depth knowledge about the international tax trends and market.’
‘Aldona Mikulska -Leszczynska is an outstanding advisor, open to challenges.’
- Advised the owner of a €100m fortune on designing a succession planning structure, with the use of a private family foundation in Liechtenstein.
- Advised the settlor of a structure worth €150m on crafting a complex list of wishes and instructions, regulating in detail distributions available to the next generations of his heirs.
- Advising on the relocation of a family from the US to Poland and related wealth planning which involves cooperation with US advisors.
Kieltyka Gladkowski KG Legal advises international corporate clients and high-net-worth individuals on their asset, wealth and property management in Poland and in other jurisdictions, as well as succession planning, investment matters, trust funds, litigation, estate administration and tax assistance. Immigration and asset transfer expert Jakub Gładkowski and succession planning, financial security and life insurance expert Małgorzata Kiełtyka jointly lead the team.
‘The team is outstanding. They help coordinate our legal affairs in Poland and globally through their extensive network of affiliated specialised law firms.’
‘The fact that KG Legal is a small firm is very practical and makes them very interesting, especially for private clients, because of the personal attention that’s been given to clients compared to other (mostly bigger) law firms. With regard to technology, they are up to date and applying the highest standards, as they do with the provision of their legal services.’
‘The firm delivers understandable advice, which reflects their in-depth knowledge.’
‘The team is knowledgeable and collaborative with good communicators who are smart, think outside the box and are reasonable.’
‘What makes Mr. Gładkowski and Ms Kiełtyka stand out is that the quality they provide is always very high and that they are flexible, dynamic, responsible and go all the way in their cases and for their clients. Mr. Gładkowski and Ms Kiełtyka in general form a perfect team.’
‘Małgorzata Kiełtyka provided succinct and tailored advice and she responded promptly.’
‘The team has friendly and experienced lawyers who are on top of things and are ready to share their knowledge.’
‘Małgorzata Kiełtyka provided straightforward and practical advice. She is easy to work with and efficient.’
- Acted for a US law firm in the cross-border case of distribution of assets in inheritance procedures, including tracing the beneficiaries and proving their identities; initiating the procedure before the civil court in Poland to confirm the acquisition of the part of the assets located in Poland; securing the transfer of the funds to the beneficiaries under notarial deeds in Poland, using secure signatures; and registering the beneficiaries in the beneficiaries ledger.
- Acted for a law firm based in New York in connection with the so-called parental abduction of a minor daughter to Poland in judicial representation of the child’s mother (US citizen) in a family case before the Polish court for the release of a child from a care facility to the child’s mother.
- Represented a high-net-worth family business with foreign capital structure based in Poland in respect of the restructuring of the family business in such a way that the next generation would establish and take up shares in a newly established company in Hong Kong, mainly from the perspective of securing that part of the family business assets that would be located in shares in the Hong Kong company.
RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners
The private client team at RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners handles transactional and advisory mandates for both domestic and international clients, including entrepreneurs. The team also has a strong focus on private wealth and asset management, inheritance and family law. Founder Radosław Kwaśnicki, who has expertise in corporate law, and Karol Szymański, a private equity and M&A transactions specialist, both head up the group in Warsaw.
‘High competence, reliability, comprehensiveness of services and very good knowledge of intellectual property law.’
‘Very hands-on, customer oriented and find creative solutions as opposed to focus only on risks.’
‘Jarosław Szewczyk is very forthcoming and customer oriented with broad and deep experience in various types of M&A and financing transactions.’
Gheorghe Marian Cristescu
- Advisory Andrzej Ziemski, Cezary Gregorczuk during the negotiation process and determining legal risks in connection to the sale of shares in Impera Capital ASI S.A. as part of a tender offer.
- Acting for a group of shareholders of a joint-stock company regarding an investment agreement concluded with a French joint-stock company and including the obligation to conclude the promised share purchase agreements of the company’s shares and payment of contractual damages for the delay in signing the above mentioned agreements.
- Assisting Wladyslaw Kraska in day-to-day legal issues related to asset management and corporate matters, reviewing subsequent investment projects from a conceptual perspective and preparing documentation for individual transactions, as well as participating in relevant negotiation processes.
International tax law expert Sławomir Łuczak heads up the practice at Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak, which advises on tax issues, family and inheritance law and business succession, as well as asset management and investment matters. Restructuring projects and litigation are areas of focus for associate Karolina Gotfryd; senior counsel Anna Kratiuk is experienced in M&A transactions for private clients.
‘I have cooperated with SK&S lawyers for several years now, engaging them regularly in various complex business and private tax matters. They are reliable, responsive, open-minded and always looking for the best solutions for the client. They also have an excellent understanding of the legal and tax systems, they understand my business and private ventures, always advise in line with the best possible perspective and the solutions they propose are clearly communicated and tailor-made.’
‘SKS is one of the largest universal law firms in Poland. I’ve used them for various projects ranging from: (a) tax; personal finance structuring (b) criminal law (c) contracts (d) litigation, and they performed at top level in each of these fields.’
‘What I appreciate most is the very down-to-earth, practical nature combined with the expertise and background of a large organisation.’
‘Very important tax team with a deep knowledge of the sector.’
‘Sławomir Łuczak is one of the key tax and private wealth lawyers in Poland.’
‘I work regularly with Sławomir Łuczak, who provides a very high standard of legal advice supported by an excellent understanding of my needs. I’ve been working with him for a long time and he’s always been completely dedicated to our projects. I appreciate his professionalism, availability, and atypical solutions he comes up with. I also like his personality, as he is a calm and stable person.
‘I have personally worked with Karolina Gotfryd who has successfully resolved a number of our legal and tax issues. I perceive her to be a good strategist and planner, definitely a promising lawyer.’
‘Sławomir Luczak is extremely responsive and proactive and always proposes practical solutions with a deep knowledge of the industry.’
Specinvest / Nesperta
- Advising a client on the creation of an investment vehicle in the form of an “Alternate Investment Company” and advising on the sale of 80% of the shares held by the client in the Nesperta Group to the SPV established by the foreign investor.