Commercial, corporate and M&A in Hungary
With lawyers across the CEE region, Andrékó Kinstellar handles a number of cross-border deals demonstrating strength in the banking, life sciences, automotive, real estate and TMT sectors. The team has notable expertise in private equity matters and counts Hiventures Kockázati Tőkealap-kezelő and China Central and Eastern Europe Investment Co-operation Fund as clients. Practice head Anthony O’Connor focuses on regional M&A matters; the 'client-oriented' Ákos Nagy is noted for a wide range of M&A and commercial matters; and former CMS senior counsel Gábor Gelencsér, who joined as partner in 2019, focuses on local market transactions for clients in the manufacturing and financial services sectors. The team is also 'excellent at the junior level'; senior associates Ágnes Zsófia Szabó, László Palócz and Marcell Horváth are singled out.
Magyar Telekom Nyrt.
Hiventures Kockázati Tőkealap-kezelő
NKM Nemzeti Közművek
China Central and Eastern Europe Investment Co-operation Fund
- Advising M7 Real Estate on the sale of Aerozone Logistics Park in Budapest to JT Ross Property Group of South Africa.
- Advising NKM Nemzeti Közművek Zrt. on its internal restructuring.
- Advised Lindström Oy on the proposed acquisition of the business and assets of Salzol Kft.
CMS has a reputation for handling the most high-profile cross-border and domestic M&A transactions, particularly in the financial services, energy, TMT, manufacturing and real estate sectors. The team also includes tax experts who advise on the tax aspects of the transactions, including tax due diligence, tax structurings and tax advice. Anikó Kircsi leads the team, and excels in private equity and venture capital mandates, as well as capital markets transactions. London-based Éva Talmácsi is a UK, US and Hungarian qualified partner focusing on local and regional transactions. Senior associates Zoltán Poronyi and Péter Tóth are also highly recommended.
‘Firm and solid document drafting abilities are key attributes to this law firm‘.
‘They consider from the client side and fight for client’s interests. They are hard working and highly efficient‘.
‘Very responsive, great depth of expertise across all business sectors and services provided. Good network of professional contacts to connect with on non-legal matters‘.
CEE Equity Partners / Invitel Group
Liberty Global (UPC)
RTL Hungary (Bertelsmann Group subsidiary)
- Advised Liberty Global, the world’s largest international cable business, on the Hungarian (and Czech and Romanian) aspects of Vodafone’s €18.4bn acquisition of Liberty Global’s European assets, which was the largest transaction in CEE in 2019.
- Advised Raiffeisen Bank on a €52m acquisition financing matter of a five-star premium hotel.
- Advised Crown Packaging Europe GmbH on the restructuring, purchase and merger with Mivisa Hungary Kft.
Dentons has a track record of handing private equity deals for global and domestic corporates, emerging regional corporates and financial institutions, and assists private equity houses and their portfolio companies with strategic transactions in Hungary and across the region. Clients praise the group's 'niche in understanding and solving complex issues and problems, providing creativity and tailor-made solutions'. Within Rob Irving's corporate M&A and private equity team, Edward Keller is 'a very loyal and hardworking US lawyer with a good understanding of local practices and regional market standards in the venture capital industry', and is widely regarded as 'one of the best experts in private equity'; and Anita Horváth focuses on M&A transactions in the energy sector. Annamária Csenterics and the 'very stable and focused' Réka Szalóky are also recommended.
‘The team is always promptly available in terms of timing and also in terms of finding pragmatic, efficient, tested and practical solutions and able to draw on experts with significant experience and experts from all legal fields‘.
‘Edward Keller is highly practical and structured, with lots of field experience‘.
‘Edward Keller is a very loyal and hard working US lawyer with a good understanding of local practices and regional market standards in the venture capital industry‘.
‘Réka Szalóky is a very diligent and dedicated associate with excellent communication skills‘.
Arx Equity Partners
- Advised Hungarian online consumer electronics retailer Extreme Digital and its shareholders in connection with the merger of Extreme Digital with eMAG Hungary.
- Acted for the shareholders of the Vascular Plazma Group, a biotech group that provides high-quality source plasma for fractionation in Hungary, on the sale of Vascular Plazma Kft. and its subsidiaries.
- Advised ARX Equity Partners on the acquisition of a 70% interest in Hungary-based TMX Mobile Solutions.
DLA Piper's 'highly responsive and solution-focused' team is singled out for its ability to 'think outside the box which enables it to provide tailor-made advice and solutions'. The Hungarian state is a major client which the team advised on the €925m repurchase of all bonds issued by the Hungarian State exchangeable into the shares of Gedeon Richter, a blue-chip company on the Budapest Stock Exchange. Managing partner András Posztl 'combines his understanding of client's business needs with top-class legal knowledge and a broad field of experience'. Posztl jointly leads the practice with Gábor Molnár which also includes counsel Gábor Hollós and associate Péter Szajlai.
Gábor Molnár; András Posztl
‘They always strive to understand the business rationale underlying client’s queries and projects and thus are able to provide outstanding strategic and innovative legal solutions for complex business and legal challenges‘.
‘We highly value them as discussion partners for strategic business and legal decisions as well as a strong support in preparing and carrying out negotiations‘.
‘The team thinks outside the box which enables it to provide tailor-made advice and solutions‘.
‘All the individuals are very professional and motivated to solve the customers problems and assure that the objectives are clear and that the targets are met‘.
The Hungarian State/Magyar Nemzeti Vagyonkezelő Zrt.
General Electric Company and GE Hungary Kft
Teknikum Yhtiöt Oy, a leading Nordic polymer technology group
CPS Ltd.a (Cypriot private equity with ties to the entire CEE region)
- Advised the Hungarian State on the €925m repurchase and redemption of all bonds issued by the Hungarian State exchangeable into the shares of Gedeon Richter Plc., a blue chip on the Budapest Stock Exchange.
- Acted for McDonald’s on the sale of its business in Hungary and the grant of a franchise for the market, as well as the associated security and financing arrangements.
- Assisted Eni S.p.A. with the sale of its 98.99% shareholding in Tigáz Ltd. to Switzerland-based MET Holding AG.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is well placed to advise on high-value cross-border mandates for major clients across a range of industries, particularly in the consumer goods, technology, energy, and healthcare sectors. Recent highlights include advising Ryan, a global tax services and software provider, on its acquisition of VAT Systems, and advising Brookfield Business Partners on the Hungarian aspects of its $13.2bn acquisition of Johnson Controls' power solutions business worldwide. Practice co-head Ákos Fehérváry advises on the full range of corporate and M&A transactions, including foreign direct investment and corporate restructuring, and co-head Ines Radmilovic advises both multinationals and blue-chip Hungarian companies on a range of complex international and cross-border M&A transactions. Senior counsel Pál Takács and senior associate Dániel Orosz are also names to note.
Ákos Fehérváry; Ines Radmilovic
‘Ákos Fehérváry is a tough, knowledgeable lawyer, on whom one can rely without the doubt when it comes to negotiations‘.
Spectrum Brands Holdings
The Ryan Group
Brookfield Business Partners
Link Mobility Group AS
- Advised Spectrum Brands Holdings on all aspects of the sale of Global Battery and Lighting Business to Energizer Holdings.
- Acted for Nuance Communications on the sale of its document imaging division to Kofax, a private equity backed process automation software provider.
- Assisted Brunswick Corporation with the international aspects of the spin-off and subsequent sale of its Life Fitness business to KPS Capital Partners.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners' team, which is jointly led by Richard Lock and Ádám Máttyus, handles some of the largest M&A transactions in the market for clients in the financial services, energy, TMT and FMCG sectors. In a recent highlight, it advised Vodafone on its €18.4bn acquisition of Liberty Global's operations in Hungary, and acted for Karlovarské mineralní vodi on the acquisition of distribution rights of Pepsi in the territory of Hungary. Commercial, regulatory and advisory work also feature in its recent instructions. Further names to note include Iván Sólyom, managing partner Péter Lakatos and counsel Pál Rahóty.
Richard Lock; Ádám Máttyus
‘Very good time management, prompt reactions and problem-solving attitude’.
‘Ádám Máttyus can engage in constructive dialogue with the ability to fill clients’ needs‘.
Karlovarske Mineral Water
American International School of Budapest
- Advised Vodafone on the €18.4bn acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in Hungary as part of a global deal.
- Assisted Karlovarské mineralní vodi with the acquisition of distribution rights of Pepsi in Hungary.
- Advised a number of renewable energy investors from the Czech Republic, including Z-Group, Photon Energy and JSD, on their acquisition of RTB photovoltaic projects.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda is singled out for its 'reliable legal support, result-oriented approach and cost-efficient mindset' as well as its 'solid cross-border capabilities'. The practice focuses on the energy, manufacturing, financial services, automotive, and media industries. Practice head József Bulcsú Fenyvesi leads the 'strong and experienced team', which also includes Mihály Barcza, who is praised for his 'quick response and excellent M&A transaction experience'; Attila Terényi, and senior associate Ágnes Száz, who is experienced in securities and investment regulatory matters. Associate Gábor Kordoványi is also noted.
József Bulcsú Fenyvesi
‘Very practical, solution oriented lawyers. Excellent communication of pragmatic advice. Excellent overview of local market practice.’
‘Solid cross-border capabilities.’
‘Mihály Barcza has excellent M&A transaction experience.‘
Budapest Electric Works
North Hungary Electric Works
Fundamenta Home Savings
Generali Insurance Co.
OTP Digital Fund
- Advised Budapest Electric Works and North Hungarian Electric Works on the divestment of its Romanian subsidiary RWE Energie.
- Acted for Generali Insurance on its acquisition of the life and a non-life insurance portfolio from Munich Re’s subsidiary, ERGO.
- Advising Continental AG in relation to the Hungarian aspects of the carve-out of its powertrain business unit.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda covers the full range of M&A transactions, with managing partner David Dederick specialising in regional and private equity-related transactions; Pál Szabó advising public and private vendors, purchasers and private equity and venture capital companies across a wide range of sectors; Konrád Siegler focusing on public company M&A, privitisations and financial institutions M&A mandates; and senior counsel Ferenc Mátrai advising clients on high-profile real estate transactions. Senior associate Dária Szabó is also recommended for cross-border transactions and restructurings. The practice counts Fortune 500 companies and major multinational companies including GE, Wallis Group, MOL and OTP Bank as key clients.
David Dederick; Pál Szabó
Danubius Hotel Group
- Advising Magyar Telekom on the sale of T-Systems and its subsidiaries to 4iG Plc.
- Advised OTP Bank on the over €500m acquisition of Abanka, a Slovenian commercial bank owned by the Republic of Slovenia.
- Advised Elitur Invest Zrt. on the acquisition of STRABAG Property and Facility Services Zrt.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy handles complex deals in the financial services, TMT, real estate and energy sectors, and is a popular choice for multi-jurisdictional transactions. Recent instructions include advising Magyar Telekom Nyrt on the contemplated sale of its subsidiary T-Systems Magyarország Zrt to the Hungarian listed company 4iG Nyrt, and acting for Aegon Lakástakarékpénztár on the sale of its client portfolio to ERSTE Lakástakarékpénztár Zrt. Managing partner Zoltán Lengyel and counsel Balázs Sahin-Tóth have notable experience advising on large M&A deals, and are supported by TMT sector specialist, counsel Tibor Szántó.
‘Really quick response, high availability and flexibility while acting professionally‘.
Aegon Magyarország Általános Biztosító Zrt.
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt.
Mount Tai Chemical Holding Company S.á r.l. and BorsodChem Zrt.
UCB Ingatlanhitel Zrt.
Dante International SA
Tyco Electronics (Schweiz) Holding II GmbH
Mapletree Investments PTE LTD
- Advised General Electric Company on the sale of its lighting business to the former chairman of GE Hungary.
- Acted for Aegon Home Savings Institution on the sale of its client portfolio and Raiffeisen Energy on the disposal of its Wind Park.
- Assisted Aegon Credit Hungary with the sale of its performing and non-performing loan portfolios.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm has 'significant experience in cross-border M&A transactions' and is particularly active in the energy, pharmaceutical and TMT sectors. Cross-border restructuring mandates also feature in its recent highlights. Practice co-head Gabor Damjanovic is 'a well-reputed M&A lawyer with many years of experience', and co-head Zoltán Forgó is 'precise, committed and always available'.
Gábor Damjanovic; Zoltán Forgó
‘The firm has significant experience in cross-border M&A transactions’.
‘Gábor Damjanovic is an exceptionally skilled and experienced M&A lawyer. He not only brings legal expertise to transactions, but is also commercial savvy and has a sense of humour that greatly facilitates the often difficult and contentious SPA negotiation phase of a transaction‘.
‘Gábor Damjanovic is very reflective and a strategic thinker and a great lawyer‘.
‘Gábor Damjanovic is a well-reputed M&A lawyer with many years of experience‘.
‘Zoltán Forgó is precise, committed and always available‘.
Pacific Drilling S.A.
Pamplona Capital Management
Big Bus Tours
Big Bus Tours
Geico Taikisha Group
Allegis Group, Inc.
Dr. Peithner K.G.
Shiran Holdings Limited
- Advising Obton in its series of acquisition of a large number of solar parks.
- Acted for Bank of Ireland on its sale of a Hungarian SPV holding two adjacent pieces of land for commercial development purposes.
- Advised Finext Group on its sale of shareholding to its joint venture partner.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda handles a mix of cross-border and domestic M&A transactions, and is particularly active in the life sciences sector, as well as the telecoms, IT and oil and gas industries. Recent highlights include advising Medlife Group on the acquisition of a majority stake in Rozsakert Medical Centre Group, and advising Telenor on the €2.8bn sale of its CEE subsidiaries to PFF Group. Managing partner Kinga Hetényi leads the team, which also includes Márton Gervai and Dániel Varga; the latter is particularly noted for energy-related transactions. Former practice co-head Zita Albert departed to CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners in early 2020.
‘Always have the client’s best interests in mind and are not afraid to speak up when they go into a wrong direction. Excellent negotiators who give clients great comfort and insights into the Hungarian legal framework‘.
S. C. Medlife SA
Eurofins Group and Eurofins Environment Testing Kft
OMV Hungária Ásványolaj Kft. and OMV Refining and Marketing GmbH
Russmedia International Establishment
UniCorp Biotech Kft.
- Advised Medlife Group on the acquisition of a majority stake in Rozsakert Medical Center Group.
- Acted for Eurofins Group and Eurofins Environment Testing Kft., in connection with the acquisition of KVI Plusz.
- Handled the sale by Telenor of its CEE subsidiaries to PFF Group for €2.8bn, largest telecoms M&A transaction in the CEE region.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law recently added a number of well-known clients including Agrifutura Kft, Group Segula, Simply You, Kofax and Boiron Kft to its roster. Practice head Orsolya Görgényi's recent instructions include advising PPF Group on its €2.8bn acquisition of Telenor's telecoms assets in CEE. Other key practitioners include Judit Budai, who is 'a very commercially-minded practitioner'; joint practice head and life sciences specialist Sándor Németh, the 'knowledgeable' Katalin Grósz, who focuses on the energy sectors; and senior associates Adrienn Tar and Bence Molnár.
Orsolya Görgényi; Sándor Németh
‘Orsolya Görgényi is a great professional with strong expertise in M&A. She quickly understands the needs of her clients and shows a good attitude to solve every problem‘.
‘Judit Budai is a very commercially-minded practitioner‘.
EnBW Energie Baden-Wurttemberg AG
Budapesti Ingatlan Nyrt.
Radici Pietro Industries Brands
GMD Plastic Systems
Gránit Bank Zrt, Gránit Bank Zrt
Gilde Buy Our Partners
SVUS Pharma A.S
Sabic Hungary Kft and Sabic Innovative Plastics Kft
Vinci Group (Vinci Energies), Omexom Magyarország Kft
Whitereport Global Limited
FICL / Burger King
Valeo Auto-Electric Magyarország Kft
Promod, Boutique Française. / Promod Kft
Northgate Arinso Hungary Kft
Nidec Sole Motors Hungary Kft
Nissho Hungaria Kft
G&P Quality Management Kft.
Business Lease Hungary
Mine Safety Appliances or MSA Safety Incorporated
Fenix Outdoor International AG
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions Kft., Trelleborg Sealing Profiles Kft.
Loranger Group / Sóstó Property Development Ltd
Arriva Plc / Arriva Hungary Zrt.
Corporate Express Kft.
Coor Service Management Kft.
Swiss Post / Post CH AG
SHAHM International Holdings Company
- Advising Budapesti Ingatlan Nyrt. in increasing registered capital though private placement of shares.
- Acted for Kofax on the $400m acquisition of Nuance-Recognita Software Development.
- Advising GMD Plastic Systems on its acquisition of distressed assets.
VJT & Partners' team is jointly led by János Tamás Varga and András Lovretity, and regularly handles big-ticket M&A transactions. Varga has an 'exceptional understanding of the clients' needs, excellent listening skills, and an ability to avoid jumping to conclusions without a firm understanding of the situation', while Lovretity stands out for his 'unique efficiency in delivering good quality work in time and according to budget'. Other names to note include Zoltán Csernus, who is 'very precise in elaborating corporate governance structures related to the transaction', senior associate Andrea Belényi, who specialises in competition-related matters, and data protection focused senior associate Tamás Virág, who joined from KCG Partners Law Firm.
János Tamás Varga; András Lovretity
‘János Tamás Varga gives valuable input to strategic business decisions but has eyes for the details at the same time, while András Lovretity gives pragmatic solutions and translates legal concepts into business language well’.
‘János Tamás Varga has an exceptional understanding of the clients’ needs, excellent listening skills, and an ability to avoid jumping to conclusions without firm understanding of the situation‘.
‘Zoltán Csernus is very precise in elaborating corporate governance structures related to the transaction‘.
Wine & More
- Advising Human Investors in entering into a call option and cooperation agreement relating to Work Service’s entire shareholding in Prohumán.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda 'delivers tailor-made advice which always takes client's individual and specific needs into account'. It is particularly active in the energy, automotive, pharmaceutical and financial services sectors. Recent highlights include acting for Takeda on its acquisition of Vascular Plazma Group, and advising International Flavors & Fragrances on its establishment in Hungary and its acquisition of Frutarom. Practice head János Tóth is 'a brilliant lawyer, extremely responsive and highly experienced', and Ákos Erős focuses on M&A, private equity and management buyout transactions. Senior associates Judit Nádor and Norbert Bálint are further names to note.
‘They are very dedicated to client relationships so that you always feel valued and in safe hands. Their communication is persistently clear and to the point, no unnecessarily long statements, and no missing information‘.
‘The team delivers tailor-made advice which always takes client’s individual and specific needs into account‘.
‘János Tóth is the go-to lawyer for all corporate, commercial and regulatory matters in Hungary. He focuses on client’s needs and offers feasible solutions that are aligned with client’s business interests‘.
‘János Tóth is ‘a brilliant lawyer, extremely responsive and highly experienced‘.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
International Flavors & Fragrance
- Advised ALSO Holding AG on the acquisition of ABC Data S.A. and ABC Data Marketing.
- Acted for Danish Growth Fund on its acquisition of a Hungarian tech-engineering company OptoForce.
- Advising Steinhoff Europe on insolvency and restructuring related aspects of the near-insolvency situation of affiliates Kika and Leiner.
Deloitte Legal Erdos and Partners Law Firm handles a broad range of M&A, restructuring, divestment, and joint venture mandates with a specific focus on non-performing loan portfolio transactions, and is active in the renewable energy, healthcare, agriculture and insurance sectors. Within Péter Göndöcz's growing team, Ákos Szauter was promoted to senior managing associate in 2019, and senior associates Albert Fábián and Csenge Koller are experienced in real estate and other M&A transactions.
Országos Betétbiztosítási Alap
Sberbank Magyarország Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság
RMC – Rózsakert Medical Center Group
Casper Consumer Finance Zrt.
Siemens Gamesa Group
- Advised National Deposit Insurance Fund of Hungary on the sale of its claims registered in the liquidation procedures of eleven financial institutions under liquidation.
- Acted for Sberbank Magyarország Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság on the sale of significant part of its non-performing retail mortgage loan portfolio.
- Assisted Rózsakert Medical Center Group with its joint venture with MedLife Group.
Jalsovszky has 'a unique and practical combination of an experienced M&A team with a solid corporate tax practice'. It is active in the IT and technology sectors, advising both venture capital companies and corporates on their investments. It also counts state-owned funds as major clients, and has reported an increasing load of instructions from corporates, which it assists with M&A transactions. Managing partner Pál Jalsovszky, Péter Gyimesi, who focuses on real estate transactions; and senior associate Ágnes Bejó jointly lead the team.
Pál Jalsovszky; Ágnes Bejó; Péter Gyimesi
‘Beside the rock-solid legal background, the team has good business understanding and significant experience with mid-market firms‘.
‘Pál Jalsovszky has a unique combination of understanding business, as well as legal aspects of both tax and M&A transactions’.
‘Péter Gyimesi is an excellent Hungarian corporate lawyer, you can rely on his solid understanding of the fast and frequently changing corporate law in Hungary‘.
Finext VC Fund
INVESCOM Private Equity
Development Finance Asia
- Advising Euroventures IV, a venture capital fund, on the sale of its investment in Tresorit Kft, a Hungarian IT company to new financial investors.
- Advising Tensa on a $20m investment in Bitrise Inc., a Delaware IT company focusing on Android, iOS & cross-platform mobile continuous integration and delivery.
- Advising Reditus Equity on its acquisition of Honvéd Football Club.
Kapolyi Law Firm
Kapolyi Law Firm's team is 'absolutely practical and solution-oriented' and recently handled a mix of M&A, restructuring, and takeover transactions. The 'business-minded' managing partner József Kapolyi has 'great leadership and project management skills with huge legal knowledge and experience in various fields of law'. The corporate and M&A team is jointly led by Zita Orbán, who is singled out for her 'extensive knowledge of the legal and industry environment', and Mónika Kapetz, who focuses on advising major clients in the real estate sector.
Mónika Kapetz; Zita Orbán
‘Besides his professional experience and knowledge, József Kapolyi’s precise and dedicated personality always contributes to the successful process of business transactions‘.
‘Sándor Habóczky has up-to-date and deep knowledge on the legal provisions and regulation, and knows a lot about the news and developments on the relevant market‘.
‘Zita Orbán is very focused on the ultimate goals of the client, very professional and dedicated, highly prepared and hard working‘.
‘Zita Orbán is a very reliable and problem-oriented practitioner who focuses on the solution of the problem‘.
Access Investment Fund Manager Ltd
Takarék Invest Befektetési és Ingatlankezelő Ltd.
Bank of Hungarian Savings Cooperatives Co. Ltd
OPTIMA INVEST Ltd
Hungarian Post Investment Services Ltd
CyBERG Corp. Plc
- Assisted Wallis Group with the listing on the Budapest Stock Exchange through reverse acquisition.
- Advised Bank of Hungarian Savings Cooperatives Co. on its acquisition of Pannon Takarék Bank.
- Acted for CyBERG Corp on establishing its employee share ownership programme (EPOS) and setting up an ESOP entity.
Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda advises domestic clients on local transactions, and handles cross-border mandates, working alongside global law firms. It is particularly active in the energy sector, which it advises on multimillion-euro transactions. Within the 'dynamic' team, practice head Ildikó Varga has a wealth of experience handling cross-border and foreign direct investment transactions, and Péter Berethalmi advises on property acquisitions and greenfield projects.
Hungary’s Prime Minister’s Office
- Advising Ingatlan.com and its majority shareholder in a minority share purchase transaction.
- Advising Cook Medical on a range of corporate and employment matters.
- Advising Hiventures Venture Capital Fund Management company on its capital investments in Hungarian start-ups.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP handles a mix of domestic and cross-border M&A and restructuring transactions, and is particularly active in the real estate, automotive, TMT and medical devices sectors. Christopher Noblet has strong experience in cross-border transactions in the CEE region, where he acts as lead and coordinating counsel, and also recently advised on a number of corporate restructuring transactions. Sándor Békési focuses on private equity transactions and advised Danube Fund on the sale of the assets of GPS Tuner Kft, and advised Robertshaw (now One Rock Capital) on the acquisition of Castfutura Group.
László Partos; Christopher Noblet; Sándor Békési
DIGI Távközlési és Szolgáltató Kft.
One Rock Capital/Robertshaw
- Advised DIGI Távközlési és Szolgáltató Kft. on its purchase of the share capital and voting rights of Hungarian telecoms operator Invitel Távközlési Zrt.
- Acted for Golaman Sachs on its acquisition of the Science Park office complex.
- Advised First Med, one of the leading private health providers in Hungary, on a capital raising and corporate restructuring as part of its future development and expansion plans.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys is praised for its 'business-friendly approach'. It handles M&A transactions for clients in the agri-business, construction, financial services, IT, automotive and energy sectors. Tamás Szabó and László Kelemen jointly lead the team, which also includes Domonkos Kiss, Péter Vincze, Gábor Hugai and of counsel Ivan Ferencz, who joined from an in-house role at Fundamenta-Lakaskassza Zrt.
Tamás Szabó; László Kelemen
‘The firm delivers high-quality legal advice for a very affordable price, and has great a client-focused team‘.
‘Domonkos Kiss finds the best solution for his clients, considering the business interests while explaining the potential risks‘.
Adony Logistics Centre
Alpiq Energy SE
CTP Group companies
IKB Leasing Hungary
- Assisted Hungarian commercial bank MKB with the complete sale of its car fleet service provider company, MKB-Euroleasing Autopark to ALD Automotive.
bnt | attorneys-at-law
bnt | attorneys-at-law has a 'multi-lingual highly competent European-focused practice' and is particularly singled out for its 'rich experience in cross-boarder M&A as well as deep understanding of German law'. The team, which is led by Jan Burmeister, who 'always provides industry applicable advice', advises German clients on mid-cap transactions and regularly handles multi-jurisdictional transactions through its network of regional offices.
‘The team has a broad mindset and high problem-solving competence in a short time. It is high flexibility in terms of time management, but also in terms of transaction structure‘.
‘The team has rich experience in cross-boarder M&A as well as deep understanding of German law’.
‘Excellent knowledge and experience‘.
‘Jan Burmeister is an outstanding lawyer who is very skillful and tactical‘.
Faurecia Emissions Control Technologies
- Advising TNT in post M&A matters regarding the integration of FedEx’s and TNT Express’ Hungarian businesses and operations.
- Acting for Asklepios Clinics on its joint venture with Semmelweis University.
- Advised Heiche Group on the sale of its Hungarian business to KAP Beteiligungs AG .
bpv JÁDI NÉMETH Attorneys at Law
Andrea Jádi Németh
CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm
CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm excels in advising pharmaceutical and life sciences sector clients on a range of corporate, commercial and regulatory matters. Managing partner Marianna Csabai and Antónia Zsigmond are the main contacts.
Greenyard Frozen Kft
Sugo Food Kft.
Donghua B.V.( The Netherlands)
Innovative Pharmaceutical Association
Go Global Inc.
Mölnlycke Hungary Kft.
- Advising Donghua International on a range of corporate and commercial matters relating to its takeover of its Hungarian operation.
- Advising the Association of Innovative Pharmaceutical Manufacturers (AIPM) on regulatory matters, commercial contracts reviews, as well as the daily operational and employment issues.
Conybeare Solicitors primarily focuses on handling commercial and corporate transactions for clients in the oil and gas industry. Steven Conybeare is 'a heavyweight corporate lawyer' and 'a good negotiator with excellent M&A and oil and gas sector skills and knowledge'.
‘It is an exceptional boutique law firm with deep knowledge of all types of corporate transactions. They are fast, responsive and flexible‘.
‘They provide very good advice, always on point, very prompt. Very good understanding of the sectors and business savvy‘.
‘Steven Conybeare stands out as an excellent lawyer, with very good M&A and oil & gas sector skills and knowledge. He is a good negotiator and has a very pleasant personality‘.
‘Steven Conybeare is a heavyweight corporate lawyer. He has extremely wide knowledge of corporate transactions, quickly understands the key points and provides bespoke advice. His commitment and enthusiasm is exceptional. He is also a brilliant negotiator. Finally, he is in fact not only a lawyer but also a businessman who can easily get on with the commercial aspects of a transaction‘.
PetroSantander Romania SRL
PetroSantander Colombia GmbH
Vermilion Exploration Slovakia s.r.o.
RAG Austria AG
CEP Central European Petroleum
Vermilion Energy Canada
- Advising a privately held petroleum company in the negotiations for the purchase of 30 oil & gas producing agreements in Romania.
- Acting for a Norwegian private equity owner in the negotiations for the sale of a Hungarian portfolio company producing specialist steel products for use in oil & gas industry.
- Assisting a subsidiary of a listed oil & gas company with its joint venture arrangement and the drilling of three new exploration wells in Slovakia.
Noerr bolstered its corporate offering with the recruitment of Ákos Mátés-Lányi, who joined from Andrékó Kinstellar to head up the corporate practice. Mátés-Lányi specialises in cross-border M&A and private equity and capital markets transactions. Senior associates Ákos Bajorfi and Eszter Sieber-Fazakas are further names to note.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal
'Personal contact and quick response times are a clear strength' for Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal. It handles a mix of restructuring and cross-border M&A transactions. Within the team, Dániel Kelemen's 'calm, confident and competent communication makes it easy to cooperate'. Tibor Szabó, Zoltán Várszegi, Dóra Horváth and Zoltán Martonyi are further names to note.
Dániel Kelemen; Dóra Horváth; Tibor Szabó; Zoltán Várszegi; Zoltán Martonyi
‘The team can provide very wide scope of legal services. Their attitude is highly flexible and constructive‘.
‘Personal contact and quick response times are a clear strength‘.
‘Dániel Kelemen’s calm, confident and competent communication makes it easy to cooperate‘.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland acts for multinational clients in the food and retail, automotive, and manufacturing sectors on a broad range of M&A and corporate matters including setting up operations and subsidiaries, joint ventures and restructurings. Managing partner Agnes Szent-Ivány and Ildikó Szegedi jointly lead the practice, which also includes Péter Sándor, who is 'professional, thorough and conscientious'.
Ágnes Szent-Ivány; Ildikó Szegedi
‘Péter Sándor is professional, thorough and conscientious‘.
BlackRock Hungary Kft.
Pappas Auto Hungary Kft.
Parker Hannifin Hungary Kft. and Parker Hannifin International Capital Management Kft.
Red Bull Hungaria Kft.
- Advised ArcelorMittal on its joint venture with Franstahl GmbH for the establishment of a new company, which will manufacture steel industry products via 3D printing technology.
- Acted for Selina Hotels on establishing two companies which will own and operate the hotel respectively.
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office's team is jointly led by Iván Sefer, Péter Csonga and Adrienn Piskóti. It is a popular choice for tax-driven corporate restructurings. László Krüpl joined Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda in 2019.
Iván Sefer; Adrienn Piskóti; Péter Csonga
Bausch Health International, Inc.
Affinity Equity Partners (S) PTE Ltd
Charles River Laboratories Inc.
Erste Bank Hungary Zrt.
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
Symmetry Arena Ingatlankezelő Kft.
Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
Arcelormittal Distribution Hungary Kft. (member of Arcelormittal group)
LG Electronics Inc.
- Advising Bausch Health International on its capital restructuring.
- Assisted Affinity Equity Partners (S) PTE Ltd with the establishment of two limited liability companies and on a range of matters relating to their operations in Hungary.
- Acting for Charles River Laboratories Inc on the acquisition of two Hungarian laboratories as part of a series of multinational transactions.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners' 'commercially-oriented' team handles complex cross-border corporate and M&A transactions for clients in a broad range of sectors. Andrea Presser and Tamás Polauf, who has 'excellent communication skills', jointly lead the team, which benefited from the recruitment of Zita Albert from Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda in early 2020.
Andrea Presser; Tamás Polauf
JRD / Prima Energy s.r.o.
ELIN Metal Kft.
METRANS Danubia Kft., METRANS Konténer Kft., UniverTrans Kft.
Strabag PFS Zrt.
VFS Hungary Zrt.
The Watermill Group
- Advising the subsidiary of the JRD Group on its acquisition of three project companies developing photovoltaic solar power projects.
- Advised ELIN Motoren GmbH in connection with the establishment of a Hungarian-Austrian joint venture company through a share deal.
- Acted for XXXLutz on the purchase of Kika furniture stores in CEE.
Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office regularly advises financial services industry clients on corporate and compliance matters. It also handles M&A and commercial matters for clients in the agriculture and energy sectors. Richard Mosonyi and Dániel Szabó are the main contacts.
Richard Mosonyi; Dániel Szabó
Rigg Wealth Management
Sinus Fair Group
- Advising Fonte Viva on the sale of a Hungarian mineral water producing company to MOL.
- Advising Raiffeisen Bank on the sale of their HQ and the lease of their new HQ.
- Assisting Carmeuse with its acquisition of AgroForce.
Clients praise KCG Partners Law Firm's 'flexible and proactive attitude' as well as its 'quick and precise solutions'. Recent highlights include a mix of commercial and corporate transactions, as well as restructuring and ESOP-related matters. Eszter Kamocsay-Berta is praised for her 'excellent knowledge of her clients and their businesses', and jointly lead the team with Gabriella Gálik. Rita Párkányi is also singled out as 'a great lawyer with a very positive attitude'.
Eszter Kamocsay-Berta; Gabriella Gálik
‘Professional team with excellent skills’.
‘They are a team of highly professional, empathetic and flexible attorneys, who strive to give straightforward and clear advice to their clients even in the most complex cases. This client-friendly attitude makes them easy and enjoyable to work with‘.
‘We always get undivided attention and the lawyers take care about our cases. As to the corporate matters, for us it is important that they can handle more complex joint venture deals such as ours and know the French language and business culture. They have helped us to grow from a start-up company to a successfully operating joint venture‘.
‘Easy to work with, quick and responsive, providing a sound legal advice with excellent knowledge of the local market and understanding of the business environment‘.
‘They are also very focused on client satisfaction and to serve the needs on a very high standard. They are very responsive, effective and proactive when solving even quite complex issues. Their negotiation skill is also admirable‘.
‘Gabriella Gálik is well prepared from a professional point of view who strives to provide the highest standard even under a lot of pressure and to come up with a solution that is beneficial for the client. She communicates in a way that even complex legal matters are understandable for clients‘.
‘Eszter Kamocsay-Berta is a highly recognised expert of the Hungarian ESOP transactions, due to her unique experience with financial institutions and capital markets. She is an excellent negotiator understanding the global picture but at the same time she also takes care about the details‘.
Quality Line Training Center
Association of the French Government Scholars
TPLG Tout Pour le Grain
Megoldás Patika Pharmacy Network
- Advising Suntec Group on debt restructuring and winding-up of its Hungarian subsidiary.
- Assisting TPLG’s Hungarian subsidiary with corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Quality Line on the separation and selling of its training business line.
Szécsényi és Társai Ügyvédi Társulás
Szécsényi és Társai Ügyvédi Társulás advises clients in the retail, chemicals, energy and e-commerce sectors. László Szécsényi leads the team and focuses on handling corporate real estate transactions for companies. It also assists investment funds with acquisitions and the disposals of Hungarian and other Central and Eastern European assets.
Pepkor Hungary Kft.
- Advised Shikun&Binui Group and AFI Europe on the sale of their Hungarian SPV holding to a Hungarian joint venture .
- Advised a newly founded real estate fund managed by Wing on the acquisition of three office buildings and two parking garages in Infopark.
- Acting for Pepkor Hungary on commercial contracts and regulatory matters.