Andrékó Kinstellar is a top practice for CEE-wide commercial transactions and inbound investments, with a growth in instructions from leading clients in the energy, banking, private equity and real estate sectors. Anthony O’Connor leads the corporate and M&A team, with a strong focus on private equity and local M&A. Gábor Gelencsér's practice spans joint ventures, organisational restructurings and financial transactions. Ákos Nagy specialises in cross-border commercial transactions and works with senior associate Ágnes Zsófia Szabó on private equity, venture capital and technology investments.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Gábor Gelencsér; Ákos Nagy; Ágnes Zsófia Szabó
China Central and Eastern Europe Investment Co-operation Fund
Magyar Nemzeti Vagyonkezelő (Hungarian National Asset Management Inc.)
- Advising (Bain & Cinven-backed) STADA Arzneimittel on the global acquisition of Walmark, a leading manufacturer of consumer health products, from Mid Europa Partners.
- Advising Klépierre on the sale of shares in companies owning four shopping and entertainment complexes comprising Duna Plaza, Corvin Plaza, Győr Plaza and Miskolc Plaza, as well as companies providing energy services and management services.
- Advising Hungarian National Asset Management Company (MNV) on its investment into Airbus manufacturing plant, investment. Advising on greenfield investments in the form of a joint venture in Hungary in relation to Airbus’ helicopter components and spare parts manufacturer plant in Gyula, Hungary.
CMS is highlighted for its ability to handle the Hungarian law aspects of high-end cross-border M&A for leading multinationals such as Siemens and Liberty Global, as well as advising private equity clients on inbound investments. Anikó Kircsi has a busy practice that covers M&A, private equity and venture capital deals. She often coordinates regional transactions in the banking, energy, media and telecoms sectors. Éva Talmácsi is qualified to advise on Hungarian, UK and US law aspects of multijurisdictional transactions. She works with senior associates Zoltán Poronyi and Péter Tóth.
Aniko Kircsi; Éva Talmácsi
Other key lawyers:
Zoltán Poronyi; Péter Tóth
Mid Europa Partners (Waberer’s)
Liberty Global (UPC)
CEE Equity Partners (Invitel Group)
- As part of the global transaction involving E.ON group’s acquisition of the Innogy group, the firm advised two of the three takeovers which took place on the Budapest Stock Exchange in 2020. In these takeover bids E.ON Hungária Zrt. offered to purchase all the outstanding shares of ELMŰ Nyrt. and ÉMÁSZ Nyrt.
- Assisted OTP Bank Group with the next step of its strategic expansion in Central Europe by advising on the acquisition of 99.73% of Société Générale (SG) Group’s Slovenian unit.
- Advised Advent International and its portfolio company Zentiva on the bolt-on acquisition of the CEE business of global generic and over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals manufacturer, Alvogen.
Dentons' sizeable team is comprised of Hungarian, UK, US and Canadian-qualified lawyers. It acts for a wide range of domestic corporates, emerging regional corporates, financial institutions and private equity firms. The group's varied workload includes CEE/SEE-wide M&A and private equity transactions, as well as disposals and privatisation mandates. Rob Irving and Anita Horváth, who jointly lead the team, have extensive experience leading high-value domestic and regional transactions. Annamária Csenterics and associate Réka Szalóky are also highly active. Edward Keller left the practice in May 2020.
Rob Irving; Anita Horváth
Other key lawyers:
Réka Szalóky; Annamária Csenterics
‘Ability to take charge of a transaction. Highly commercial and understanding of business needs. Strong technical ability. Responsive’
Arx Equity Partners
R2G/PFNonwovens (panel appointment in 2019)
- Advised Optima Investments on the acquisition from Lone Star Funds of a Dutch holding company that owns a 61% stake in Globe Trade Centre S.A.
- Advised Ascendis Health on the auction sale of Scitec Nutrition, the Hungary-based global sports nutrition company, to Atlas Invest.
- Advised GetSwift Limited on its acquisition of a majority stake in Serbia’s Logo d.o.o., an information and communications technology firm.
Gábor Molnár chairs the corporate and M&A practice at DLA Piper, which leverages its wide network of offices to handle top-end domestic and cross-border mandates. Molnár represents private and public sector clients in the technology, life sciences and manufacturing sectors. Managing partner András Posztl has over 20 years of experience in sales and acquisitions, acting for sellers, purchasers and target companies in the energy space. Gábor Hollós and senior associate Péter Szajlai are recommended for company reorganisations, among other matters.
Gábor Molnár; András Posztl
Other key lawyers:
Gábor Hollós; Péter Szajlai
ANTENNA Hungária Ltd.
LAMPO Kft. (owner of POLI-FARBE, a leading Hungarian paint Producer)
Dante International SA
Vanessa Research Magyarország Kft.
Bernard Matthews Foods Limited- SáGa Zrt.
Nemzeti Ménesbirtok és Tangazdaság Zrt.
OTP Real Estate Management Fund
TMH Hungary Invest Zrt.
- Advising Dante SA and ED Group, the (ultimate) owners of two major online shops for electronic consumer goods on the process of merging and transferring their respective operations into one, jointly owned joint venture company.
- Advising Antenna Hungária Zrt., a key participant of the Hungarian telecommunications market on the acquisition of a 25% indirect interest in Telenor Magyarország Zrt. (a leading mobile and broad band service provider in Hungary) and Telenor Real Estate Zrt. from the PPF Group.
- Advising Bernard Matthews/Boparan Group on the sale of SáGa, a leading Hungarian poultry producer to the Hungarian Master Goods Group.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
At Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law, the corporate and commercial team is a popular choice for multinationals and blue-chip Hungarian companies on buy-side and sell-side matters across a range of sectors. The practice is active in private equity investments and is often seen in matters with a life sciences, real estate and logistics focus. It is particularly recommended for corporate structurings, as well as cross-border corporate and M&A. Akos Fehérváry and Ines Radmilovic are the lead partners. Senior counsel Pál Takács and associate Dániel Orosz are also recommended.
Ákos Fehérváry; Ines Radmilovic
Other key lawyers:
Pál Takács; Dániel Orosz
‘Very experienced team, experts in legal topics, they have specialized consultants for specific topics e.g. competition or financial law, they work/cooperate greatly behind the stages not just nationally but also internationally. I felt really supported during my M&A transaction as project leader. Their communication skills are great. They are always available or make themselves available for the client.’
‘Both their attitude and skills are superb‘
11 Entertainment Group
China Railway No. 9 Group Corporation Limited
Evonik International Holding BV
Grand Automotive Kft.
MVM Magyar Villamos Művek Zrt.
- Advising MVM on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Mátra Power Plant, the second largest electricity power plant behind the nuclear power plant in Hungary with exporting capacity to Slovenia, Czech Republic and Germany.
- Advising China Railway No. 9 Group Corporation Limited on the establishment of a consortium with a Hungarian consortium partner for purposes of their joint submission of a bid in the tender procedure for the construction of the Budapest- Belgrade high speed railway project.
- Advised Brunswick Corporation on the auction sale of its worldwide Life Fitness business to KPS Capital Partners LP in a cross-border transaction covering 13 jurisdictions including Hungary, worth over $490m worldwide.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners has increased its presence among Asia-based investors, with it generating an increasing volume of instructions from Chinese, Japanese and Korean clients; the firm has Japanese and Mandarin-speaking lawyers and gets referrals from contacts at law firms in Asia. The firm is known for acting for foreign investors on the acquisition and disposal of Hungarian assets, restructurings and general corporate issues. Ádám Máttyus is an expert in the energy, IT and consumer goods sectors. He works with Iván Sólyom on asset deals and transactions in the telecoms and real estate sectors. Pál Rahóty and founding partner Richard Lock, dual qualified in England and Wales and Hungary, specialises in pan-European and Hungarian cross-border investment transactions.
Richard Lock; Iván Sólyom; Ádám Máttyus
‘My experience with this firm has been excellent. The team is professional, the quality of their work is top notch, and the individuals I’ve worked with have been timely and detail oriented. ’
‘ Great team that use the strength of everyone.’
Mid Europa / Waberer’s Group
Renewable energy investors (Z-Group, Photon Energy, JSD)
FORTEGRA Financial Corporation
STERIS Instrument Management Services
CAD Studio s.r.o.
LGI Denmark Aps
- In the context of E.ON’s purchase of Innogy SE from RWE, the firm advised (on instructions by Hengeler Müller) Innogy SE in relation to the indirect and direct acquisition by E.ON of the Hungarian electricity service providers Elmű & Émász Nyrt. This was one of the rare examples of a public takeover and raised complex issues because the transaction was part of a large public transaction in Germany and because of the client’s position as largest shareholder in the foreign companies.
- Advise Japanese company Toyo Ink on its establishment of business in Hungary. The firm advises the client on all aspects of its establishment and market entry i.e. corporate, land acquisition, subsidies, etc.
- Advised Indotek Group, a leading owner and manager of shopping centers in the CEE region, on its acquisition and financing of several shopping malls across Hungary in connection with Klépierre’s exit from the Hungarian market.
At Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda, József Bulcsú Fenyvesi leads the team, which is highly experienced in representing investors and corporates in the energy, manufacturing, banking, insurance and IT sectors. The team's workload covers mergers and demergers, joint ventures and work relating to private equity and venture capital investments. Mihály Barcza, who is a 'well-known finance and corporate lawyer', is the other M&A specialist; he recently acted as local counsel to Bristol-Myers Squibb in the landmark transaction comprising the divestment of Celgene’s Otezla (a drug against psoriasis) business. Attila Terényi, Gábor Kordoványi and Ágnes Száz make up the other key contacts.
József Bulcsú Fenyvesi
Other key lawyers:
Mihály Barcza; Gábor Kordoványi; Attila Terényi; Ágnes Száz
‘They work in a team for us: the experience and network of the partner in charge and the detailed attention and flexibility of the lawyer makes a unique combination.’
‘The individuals work well together as a team – clean division of work’
‘The Oppenheim firm is a great firm, having been Freshfields before. Great team culture, very innovative, esp in marketing and legal tech. ’
‘Mihaly Barcza – very efficient and well-known finance and corporate lawyer’
Budapest Electric Works / North Hungary Electric Works
Generali Insurance Co.
Portfolion (venture capital arm of OTP Bank)
Ringier Axel Springer
- Advised listed company 4iG, one of Hungary’s leading IT and telecommunications technology providers on the planned acquisition of T-Systems Hungary, Hungary’s number one provider in IT and telecommunications technology solutions from Magyar Telekom Nyrt. belonging to the Deutsche Telekom Group.
- Acted for Continental AG in relation to the Hungarian arm of the carve-out of its powertrain business and certain legal tasks relating to the construction of its new factory in Debrecen; in the aftermath of these transactions, Oppenheim has been selected by Continental to act as counsel to all of its Hungarian subsidiaries on a wide range of legal matters.
- Advised Generali in respect of the acquisition of the life and a non-life insurance portfolio from Munich Re’s subsidiary ERGO.
At Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda, Pál Szabó acts for private and public sellers, private purchasers and private equity firms. His experience includes company reorganisations, restructurings and transactions involving the finance, energy, telecoms and life sciences sectors. Managing partner David Dederick specialises in cross-border M&A that often spans the CEE and SEE regions. For privatisation transactions, banking partner Konrád Siegler is the main contact; he is supported by senior associate Dária Szabó.
Pál Szabó; David Dederick
Other key lawyers:
Konrad Siegler; Dária Szabó
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is notably active in real estate portfolio transactions and energy sector deals, such as advising ELMŰ/ÉMÁSZ and innogy on the public takeover of innogy by E.ON Hungary. Managing partner Zoltán Lengyel works with Balázs Sahin-Tóth and Tibor Szántó on privatisations, joint ventures, cooperation and distribution agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Balázs Sahin-Tóth; Tibor Szántó
‘Very well prepared in the matters, fast, quick responses even after normal working hours.’
‘Very knowledgeable, fast-thinking, always there to help. They help when we call them with questions even if they do not have a live contract with them in a project.’
innogy / ELMŰ Nyrt
Apex Hungary Ltd
Zsombor Csaba Burján
Goodman European Partnership and Goodman Group
SVEA Finance Zrt.
- Advised Goodman European Partnership and Goodman Group on the sale of assets in Central and Eastern Europe for approx. €1bn to GLP. The transaction includes properties located in Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Advised BorsodChem on the due diligence of its group companies for the purpose of an IPO in China.
- Advised SVEA Finance Zrt in relation to the sale of a portfolio of receivables of CREDITEXPRESS Hungary.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm is noted for its capabilities in M&A, joint ventures and restructurings. It is notably active in the pharmaceutical, energy, TMT and gaming sectors. Zoltán Forgó has over 26 years of experience acting for major Hungarian and international corporates on corporate and commercial law matters. He co-heads the practice with Gábor Damjanovic, with both individuals being experienced in advising on the Hungarian law aspects of multijurisdictional corporate and private equity transactions.
Zoltán Forgó; Gábor Damjanovic
Pacific Drilling S.A.
Pamplona Capital Management
Big Bus Tours
- Advising Obton on acquiring a large solar park portfolio for over €50m.
- Assisting Fortenova/Agrokor Group (a major Croatian conglomerate) with the planned sale of its Hungarian mineral water business, including negotiating the distribution rights of a high value other brand.
- Assisting the Zeiss Group (a leading technology enterprise in the fields of optics and optoelectronics) with the planned acquisition of a Hungarian JV.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda's Budapest team has developed a solid offering in corporate and M&A activity in the energy, telecoms and media and automotive sectors. Other key areas of work include public tender offers, private equity and venture capital transactions, auction sales, privatisations, strategic alliances and joint ventures. The practice also works in tandem with the insolvency team to advise on on distressed M&A. Practice head Kinga Hetenyi is experienced in cross-border mergers, market entries and corporate restructuring.
S. C. Medlife SA
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Advising a German multinational engineering and technology company on the purchase of a minority interest in a thermo technological company for a consideration consisting of (i) cash and (ii) the transfer of our clients Serbian business to the Serbian subsidiary of the target.
- Advising BMW on the cross border merger of an Austrian company (together with its Hungarian branch office) into BMW Hungary.
- Assisting Covivio with acquiring eight luxury hotels from Värde Partners, out of which two are located in Budapest.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law is often instructed by foreign firms to act as Hungarian counsel on substantial multijurisdictional M&A and private equity investments. Its client base spans a wide range of sectors, including technology, pharmaceutical, automotive and energy. The team's work included advising Hungarian software company United Informatics Kft on the merger with Dutch holding company Gilder Investment BV into a Hungarian company within the software group. Department head Orsolya Görgényi works with life sciences specialist Sándor Németh and newly promoted partner Adrienn Tar.
Other key lawyers:
Sándor Németh; Adrienn Tar
‘The team has a very high standard, is hands-on, knowledgeable and very good at time management, very approachable and responsive.’
‘Dedicated committed people, with very good personal skills, very professional approach yet capable of creating an amicable environment.’
‘The firm is a top independent Hungarian law firm with an extensive international practice that deserves its international recognition as a highly ranked firm. The partner ratio of the firm is big, so clients can rest assured that they get the necessary partner attention to their matters. Szecskay is an excellent choice also when compared to local offices of international or regional law firms. They work a lot with international clients and lawyers. Most of their lawyers are qualified not only in Hungarian law, but foreign laws as well, and speak various languages, which makes communication and cooperation easy. Szecskay is good value for money, and the billing was transparent, they keep within their estimates / caps’
‘We have worked with Szecskay Attorneys at Law on several cross-border deals and they proved to be very easy to work with, quick and responsive. I highly value them for being hard-working and very efficient. They provide excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and attention to details.’
Audax Renovables SA
- Advised PPF Group on the sale of a 25% stake in Telenor Hungary and Telenor Real Estate to the state-owned Antenna Hungária.
- Advised EnBW Group on circa €250m sale to E.ON of blocking minority stakes in the two publicly listed energy service providers ELMŰ & ÉMÁSZ, serving a quarter of Hungary with electricity.
- Advised Spanish renewable energy and gas supplier Audax Renovables on the acquisition of Hungarian power retailer, EKER from E.ON.
VJT & Partners, which has 'the right person for all M&A deal segments', recently secured new M&A mandates from clients in the automotive, energy, technology and professional services industries. The corporate practice, which is jointly led by managing partner János Tamás Varga and András Lovretity, benefits from synergies with other areas; Andrea Belényi is knowledgeable about competition issues, while Tamás Virág is experienced in IP and IT sector deals. Zoltán Csernus has extensive company law experience.
János Tamás Varga; András Lovretity
Other key lawyers:
Zoltán Csernus; Tamás Virág; Andrea Belényi
‘In addition to the qualities of the individuals working in the practice, they have the right person for all M&A deal segments. Also, it is very good working with them in the human sense. They generally understand business and they do translate legal into business. I do not come across legal advisory service at such high level elsewhere. ’
‘Acting as a family.’
‘Whenever I have a legal problem within 1 hour the very latest one of the relevant partners is always contacting and assisting me.’
‘They fully understand our operations and our business goals. I am not forced to bring decision in every small issue, which makes my own work easy. They provide the same quality service in all legal matters not only M&A and corporate. I do not remember receiving this kind of advisory service from other firms. ’
‘VJT is an ideal partner of mid-sized multinational companies in Hungary. The team specialized for corporate affairs including employment, commercial contracts, regulatory, real estate plus data protection, highlighting only those areas in which we have ever cooperated.’
Wine & More
- Advised Human Investors on entering into a call option agreement regarding listed company Work Service S.A.’s entire shareholding in leading temporary work service company, Prohumán.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda acts for foreign investors on greenfield investments and equity/asset acquisitions from existing businesses, as well as joint ventures with local partners. The firm has a strong portfolio of clients in the automotive, energy, life sciences, banking and private equity sectors. Practice head János Tóth specialises in high-value M&A, restructurings and joint venture projects. Ákos Erős is recommended for private equity, MBOs and day-to-day corporate advice. He often advises non-profit organisations and social enterprises on a pro bono basis.
Other key lawyers:
‘Precise , law abiding and professional ’
‘trust, transparent, confidentiality, long term collaboration’
International Flavors & Fragrances
Elanco Animal Health Inc.
Nimbus Investments CXXXII B.V.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
ASSA ABLOY AB
- Advising TA Associates on its investment in Netrisk, Hungary’s leading online independent insurance marketplace.
- Advising Royal DSM, a global science-based company in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living listed on Euronext Amsterdam, on the acquisition of ERBER Group, a company specializing animal nutrition and health businesses.
- Advising Elanco Animal Health in respect of the local law aspects of their Good Distribution Practice (GDP) and warehouse permitting matters for animal pharmaceutical distribution in Hungary and Poland, including the obtaining of all necessary local permits and possibly setting up a local entity.
Deloitte Legal Göndöcz and Partners Law Firm's corporate and M&A team works with the financial advisory and tax departments to advise on cross-border M&A, reorganisations, divestitures and joint ventures, as well as complementary offerings in private equity transactions. Péter Göndöcz is the key figure for day-to-day corporate advice and private equity work.
Faurecia Emissions Control Technologies
Inovivo Group Zrt.
- Assisted MCI.EuroVentures with developing the transaction structure, negotiation of the quota sale, purchase agreement and the shareholders agreement, in respect of the partial sale of its stake in Netrisk.hu, the leading online insurance brokerage in Hungary, to the private equity firm TA Associate.
- Assisting PSFN – Pénzügyi Stabilitási és Felszámoló Nonprofit Kft, as the liquidators of 11 financial institutions under liquidation with the public sale of their performing and non-performing loan portfolios.
- Advised Rolls-Royce plc/Rolls-Royce Hungary Kft on the incorporation of their Hungarian entity, and ongoing commercial advise related to its activities in Hungary.
Jalsovszky is praised for its 'client-focused' approach and 'good value' legal advice on a wide range of corporate and private equity transactions. The team is well versed in acting for purchasers and sellers; recent highlights included acting for Svábhegy Group on the sale, swap and equity investment by the Doktor24 Group. The highly regarded Pál Jalsovszky chairs the practice. Ágnes Bejó advises venture capital funds on both their investments and exits from portfolio companies. Péter Gyimesi is also recommended.
Pál Jalsovszky; Ágnes Bejó; Péter Gyimesi
‘I know the team through the acquisition support they have been giving to my clients in M&A transaction processes. In my experience, the team is innovative in their approaches to deal situations; they are persistent in defending client’s interests and support their clients with all their energy. I find them more caring and client-focused than other law practices in Budapest.’
‘I have worked together with Pal JALSOVSZKY, Peter GYIMESI and Agnes BEJO. They all excelled in corporate and M&A work’
‘Very willing to work within short time constraints and provide flexible solutions to complex international problems. Great customer service and good value within the broader legal universe.’
‘Typically although having worked with lots of people at the firm our main point of contact has been Agnes Bejo. She is very mission-focused and has the ability to navigate local and international legal frameworks for conducting cross border deals. She approaches tasks in a friendly and collaborative way providing innovative solutions to problems.’
INTRUM JUSTITIA Zrt.
RAG Hungary Kft., RAG Kiha Kft.
Szkaliczki és Társai Kft.
The Svábhegy Group
Libra Szoftver Zrt.
Terracotta Acqusition Holding Kft.
BPC Payments Services
- Advising Tensa Kft. on the investment into Bitrise Inc. a Delaware IT company focusing on Android, iOS and cross-platform mobile continuous integration and delivery.
- Assisting Szkaliczki és Társai Kft. with the sale of its 100% shareholding to NEFAB (a Sweden-based multinational transport packaging and logistics service provider), preceded by a complex restructuring of the seller’s group.
- Advising PortfoLion on acquisition of Nemesszalók Group, the first agricultural acquisition of the fund.
Kapolyi Law Firm
The group at Kapolyi Law Firm comprises of 'great individuals with up-to-date knowledge of even the smallest details of commercial and corporate law'. It focuses on advising Hungarian and international SMEs, credit institutions and investment funds on issues such as business establishment, takeovers, M&A and restructuring. Managing partner József Kapolyi works with senior associate Gábor Horváth, who focuses on corporate structuring, day-to-day commercial advice, joint ventures, buyouts and spin-offs.
Other key lawyers:
‘In addition to forming a very good team, they are great individuals with up-to-date knowledge of even the smallest details of commercial and corporate law. They know the market and the market players very well, and they conduct smooth and effective communication with the various counterparties. They are open-minded and innovative, with great dedication to their work, extremely experienced in M&A transactions due to their decades-long practice.’
‘The closely follow the market and the legal changes. J. Kapolyi is a stand out partner in the firm.’
AutoWallis Nyrt. (AutoWallis Plc) and its group companies
Takarék Invest Befektetési és Ingatlankezelő Zrt.
MTB Magyar Takarékszövetkezeti Bank Zrt.
KELER Zrt. (KELER Co Ltd)
CyBERG Corp. Nyrt.
AKKO Invest Nyrt.
DeltaGroup Holding Zrt.
ENEFI Vagyonkezelő Nyrt.
- Advised AutoWallis on the acquisition of several car dealer companies in Hungary to broaden its brand portfolio.
- Advised Cyberg Corp. Nyrt. on the acquisition of an IT company to complement and support its current catering business.
- Assisted the seller, DeltaGroup Holding on the transaction whereby the listed holding company Est Media Nyrt. signed a binding contract to acquire 100% of Delta Systems Kft., an IT company.
Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda has a strong corporate offering, advising on cross-border mergers, corporate finance, corporate governance and restructuring. Ildikó Varga regularly advises multinational corporations on their foreign direct investment and acquisitions in Hungary.
- Advising KS ORKA Renewables Pte Ltd, a joint venture of Icelandic company Hugar Orka ehf and Shenzhen-listed Zhejiang Kaishan Compressor Co., Ltd, in connection with the first and second phases of construction and operation of Hungary’s first geothermal power plant.
- Continued support to Iceland-based Mannvit hf, and its group companies, a leading international geothermal engineering consultancy, on establishment of the Hungarian subsidiary Mannvit Kft. and commercial advice related to their involvement in high-level Hungarian geothermal projects
- Advised Eurolife Healthcare, a Mumbai-based specialty pharmaceutical company, manufacturer and distributor, in connection with an asset sale and purchase of an industrial site and all related assets.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP 's Budapest office is fully integrated into the wider pan-European network and it frequently works with the London office to coordinate cross-border M&A transactions. The firm is heavily involved in corporate real estate M&A and generates work from clients such as JR AMC, Goldman Sachs and Prologis. 'Exceptional' team leader Sándor Békési is noted for his expertise in private equity. Christopher Noblet is recommended for regional M&A and real estate transactions. László Partos is also a name to note.
László Partos; Christopher Noblet; Sándor Békési
‘Each member of the Hogan Lovells’ has their own role that they were exceptional in undertaking.’
‘Sandor Bekesi lead the team consisting of Zoltan Janosi and Gabor Koszo. The team-work that this team displayed was fascinating and each and every member was easily accessible. Sandor was exceptional in leading the team and was involved in every matter deeply. Zoltan and Gabor focused on the details and knew exactly what our requirements were.’
Laurentian Bank of Canada
Magyar Cetelem Bank
- Advised BioTech USA on the sale and purchase agreement concluded between Ascendis Health International Holdings Limited and Atlas Invest B.V., a Dutch limited liability company registered in Netherlands forming part of the BioTech USA group of companies, a leading international sports nutrition business for the disposal of Ascendis Health’s Scitec business unit in its Consumer Health segment, for a total consideration of €5 million.
- Advised FSCP on their acquisition of a preferred stock in Barion, a market leader e-money issuer.
- Advising Danube Fund, one of the leading private equity firms in Hungary, on the intragroup transfer of their (indirect) shareholding in Pek-Snack Kft, a leading frozen bakery products producer. The transaction also involved a major financing element with Raiffeisen Bank.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
According to a client, Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys's 'price/performance ratio is impossible to beat'. The firm has seen an increase in real estate-related M&A work and it is also noted for its expertise in asset and share dealing. In addition, other work includes joint ventures, restructurings and corporate governance advice. Tamás Szabó and László Kelemen co-head the group, which includes Domonkos Kiss, Péter Vincze and Gábor Hugai.
Tamás Szabó; László Kelemen
Other key lawyers:
Domonkos Kiss; Péter Vincze; Gábor Hugai
‘They deliver stable high-quality legal support even in the difficult Hungarian legal context marked by unpredictability. The price/performance ratio this law firm is offering is impossible to beat.’
‘A local professional firm with an international standard. Very responsive.’
‘The team understands our needs commercially and they know how to apply the legal protection to each situation in hand. Through the years all contracts managed to hold and provide us with the required terms to complete our tasks and maintain our good relationship with our partners.’
‘Well prepared professionals, delivering everyday help/project related assistance proper in content and timing.’
‘Always available. Strong problem-solving attitude helps advance transactions. Solid business sense beyond high-quality legal fundamentals. ’
‘All of the team members we encountered are very knowledgeable, have great expertise. Always meeting agreed deadlines and timeframes.’
Adony Logistics Centre
Alpiq Energy SE
- Assisted Hungarian commercial bank MKB on the complete sale of its car fleet service provider company, MKB-Euroleasing Autopark to ALD Automotive. ALD acquired a 100% stake in Hungarian MKB-Euroleasing Autopark Zrt. and Bulgarian MKB-Autopark eood from their present shareholders, MKB Bank Zrt. and Letét Kft.
- Advised Hungarian subsidiaries of DAV-Holding Kft. (indirectly owned by Raiffeisen-RBHU Holding GmbH) on its corporate workout which involves repossessed distressed asset management.
bnt | attorneys-at-law
bnt | attorneys-at-law specialises in advising German clients on mid-cap transactions worth up to €50m. Clients particularly highlight its 'market-leading legal expertise in CEE', 'pragmatic approach' and 'competitive hourly fees'. The firm regularly receives referrals and works with German and Austrian firms on cross-border mandates, particularly those connected with the life sciences, automotive and construction industries. Jan Burmeister is an 'outstandingly experienced M&A lawyer'.
‘Profound legal & business knowledge, experienced, cross-border approach, excellent team players’
‘Jan Burmeister: Outstandingly experienced M&A lawyer, multi-tasker, long term advice. Perfect negotiator, perfectly protecting the client’s interests, “born tactician”’
‘Highly qualified multilingual (very important) practice with extensive experience in Hungarian and European law. ’
‘Their accuracy, professional awareness, being up-to-date in all matters. What we appreciate the most is their straightforward and quick delivery in any legal matters. Their availability is outstanding.’
‘Unique intercultural and communications skills Western/Eastern Europe. Excellent service quality. Market leading legal expertise in CEE.’
‘Jan Burmeister is highly respected and a leader in his field. Well rounded business lawyer with unique intercultural experience. And fun to work with.’
‘Fast response time and pragmatic approach; competitive hourly fees; ’
‘BNT is offering a very good service for the right amount of fees. The partner speaks perfectly German.’
- Advising TNT in post-M&A matters on the integration of FedEx’s and TNT Express’ Hungarian businesses and operations.
- Advising Inovivo Group Zrt. on the set-up of its corporate organization in Hungary, including assisting in the whole management buyout process, due diligence and advising on the establishment of its new SPVs and LTDs.
- Advised Greenmarck on the acquisition of 5 real estate special purpose vehicles from a major German real estate fund.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners significantly expanded its M&A practice with the lateral hire of Zita Albert and Roland Szebényi from Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda in March 2020. The arrivals bolstered its client portfolio in the energy, telecoms, private equity and life sciences sectors. Andrea Presser has over 20 years of experience in cross-border M&A, share deals and asset deals, as well as corporate restructurings. Senior associate Tamás Novák, who is also highly active, is able to assist German and French clients.
Andrea Presser; Zita Albert
Other key lawyers:
Tamás Novák; Roland Szebényi
‘The team is unique as they are flexible with deep knowledge of each field. They can handle tasks with great time management.’
Telenor Magyarország Zrt.
JRD / Prima Energy s.r.o.
The Watermill Group
ELIN Metal Kft. (Hungarian subsidiary of ELIN Motoren GmbH)
METRANS Danubia Kft., METRANS Konténer Kft., UniverTrans Kft. (members of METRANS Group)
VFS Hungary Zrt. (Volvo)
- Advised Telenor Magyarország Zrt. on the separation of its entire business, in the course of which a new technology infrastructure company was established.
- Advised XXXLutz on the acquisition of Kika’s Eastern European furniture stores in Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania.
- Advised Watermill Group, a private investment firm, on the acquisition of two Hungarian companies, Hungary Enbi Kft. and Enbi Hungary Real Estate Kft.
CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm
Marianna Csabai is the key figure at CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm, which is noted for its capability in pharmaceutical and life sciences sector transactions. Csabai is praised as a 'very experienced commercial lawyer' with a good reputation for commercial contacts, day-to-day corporate support and governance advice.
‘CLVPartners has been our legal partner for a long time. They represent a high level of professionalism. All their team members are very kind, helpful, work fast and precise. CLVPartners has deep knowledge about the pharmaceutical industry, which is a very strictly regulated industry segment. ’
‘Colleagues from CLVPartners are always well prepared. They come to our office, listen, take notes, very much focus on the problem and they strive for a solution that is the best for the company. This is not always the case with other law firms. I, as country manager, contact Marianna Csabai, who is a senior professional with huge experience in pharma. ’
‘Very collaborative and commercial. Build close and productive relationships. Very trustworthy and always reliably available. ’
‘CLVPartners law firm has widely experienced and highly committed lawyers. They are specified in commercial and contract law, and most importantly, they are expert in the pharmaceutical and public procurement laws. The firm’s advices are always pragmatic and they deliver solutions, what we expect to get. What we highly appreciate is that they are always available and react quickly, advises us in timely manner. ’
‘All individuals at CLVPartners are very committed and experienced lawyers. Dr Marianna Csabai is the leader of the firm and she is highly recognised expert in pharmaceutical and commercial, M&A law, and she manages team of the firm. ’
‘CLV is always reachable in very short notice. They are always kind and professional in communication, and always up-to-date on food industrial and other legal questions.’
‘CLVPartners have highly qualified and committed lawyers. Their advice is always practical but comprehensive. What I find is unique that they always on point, up-to-date and more importantly, they keep to the deadline, but if we have a question, CLVpartners’ lawyers always take our calls and provide the advice on time or on the spot.’
‘Dr Marianna Csabai – manages the firm and the projects professionally, and she is a very experienced commercial lawyer.’
Mölnlycke Health Care Ltd.
Roger et Roger N.V./ Sugo Food Ltd.
Association of Innovative Pharmaceutical Manufacturers (Association)
Dineras Hungary Ltd.
Dimoco Europe AG
Donghua International B.V.
- Advisesing Roger&Roger’s affiliate ( Sugo Food) in their project to set up a new food production site in Hungary, Baja city.
- Acting for a multinational telecoms and entertainment corporation in is corporate matters in Hungary.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical client in a €70m value sales contract negotiation with the national healthcare fund.
Noerr operates as part of a Europe-wide M&A and private equity department specialising in CEE-focused corporate and investment transactions. The firm also advises on structuring investments and share and asset deals. Fluent in Hungarian, English and German, Ákos Bajorfi is sought after by international investors for major private equity and venture capital transactions. Ákos Mátés-Lányi is the other key figure for corporate and commercial transactions.
Ákos Bajorfi; Ákos Mátés-Lányi
‘We are very satisfied with the dedicated work of the Noerr team. Noerr has an outstanding private equity practice, including due diligences, financing rounds and structuring of transactions. Noerr knows the international standards very well and coordinates the multi-jurisdictional issues perfectly.’
‘The team is highly skilled and very business-oriented. They understand the corporate needs, and provide very effective and well-focused counselling also to the in-house counsels. Very well price/value balance.’
‘In general I am satisfied with the timing of the provided services. Noerr can keep tight deadlines as well and the provided documentation has proper quality. ’
‘Good and transparent communication.’
CIG Pannónia Életbiztosító Nyrt.
Coveris Flexibles Holding Austria GmbH
Portico Investment Group
FINEXT STARTUP Venture Capital Fund
Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing Hungary Kft.
Knorr-Bremse Vasúti Járműrendszerek Hungária
P.C.S. Machine Group Holding GmbH
Saxonia Systems AG
- Advising Doktor24 Group on a series of transactions, including raising private equity capital and acquiring two healthcare businesses
- Advising SIGNA Group on selling of furniture chain Kika/Leiner in HU, CZ, SK and RO to XXXLutz
- Advising Szallas.hu on the acquisition of maiUtazás Group, the second largest online travel agency group in Hungary
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal has a wide-ranging corporate practice, with its varied work portfolio including general corporate support, cross-border M&A and restructuring work. Additional expertise is offered through its network of tax and banking specialists. Zoltán Várszegi and Dóra Horváth are among the names to note. Dániel Kelemen is also recommended.
Zoltán Várszegi; Tibor Szabó; Dóra Horváth; Dániel Kelemen; Eszter Gally
‘Highly professional. Team had the utmost legal knowledge and dedication to any issues we had. Prompt, Efficient, Friendly.’
‘Competent team, eager to assist in complex issues. Quick and precise.’
‘Very professional and hard-working experts. Easy to cooperate and always on point. Always finds solutions for challenges on the road.’
‘Sensitivity, readiness, empathy, style, professionalism.’
‘Always available with highest skills for the requests we place.’
‘Dora Horvath is an outstanding partner and always a great support for our needs with best results and professional consultancy for our projects.’
Belron Hungary Kft.
Sumas Kft. (Graymont group)
AFC Magyarország Likviditás Menedzsment Kft.
Lallemand Magyarország Likviditás Menedzsment Kft.
Bouxalanon Kereskedelmi, Szolgáltató és Likviditás Menedzsment Kft.
Bancorp Hungary Kft.
China Oceanwide Holdings Limited
ARRIS Hungary Kft.
International Judo Federation
Natural Proteins Kft.
- Advising Sumas Kft. in the operation of an intra-group liquidity management structure with a special focus on branch office management and external financing transactions.
- Advising AFC Magyarország Likviditás Menedzsment Kft. in the operation of an intro-group liquidity management structure with a special focus on internal corporate reorganizations both from a corporate legal and an internal financing perspective.
- Advising Bancorp Hungary on the revival of its intra-group financing structure.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland is particularly known for its representation of corporates in the retail sector, automotive and manufacturing sector in a wide range of M&A deals and corporate projects, such as advising on setting up operations, subsidiaries or joint ventures in Hungary, and restructuring. Ágnes Szent-Ivány, Ildikó Szegedi and Péter Sándor are the key partners.
Ágnes Szent-Ivány; Ildikó Szegedi
Other key lawyers:
Charles River Laboratories
Low & Bonar
MKKE (Hungarian Booksellers and Bookpublishers Association)
Ryan Tax Services
- Advised Zordix, a fast-growing game company in Sweden on the acquisition of a Hungarian IT game development company.
- Advised Pappas Auto, one of the most important groups in the Hungarian car distribution sector on the merger of two of its subsidiaries.
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office's Budapest-based team is supported by a network of financial, tax and business advisory specialists. Iván Sefer is highlighted for M&A transactions in the financial sector, advising on issues ranging from bank mergers, acquisitions and divestments, restructurings and portfolio transfers. Denes Csoba and Péter Csonga are experienced in company formations and transactions in the pharmaceutical, telecoms and energy sectors.
Ivan Sefer; Denes Csoba; Peter Csonga
MASTER GOOD Termelő és Kereskedelmi Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
“TRANSMODULS” Tervező- és Gyártó Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
BKK Budapesti Közlekedési Központ Zrt.
Eden Springs España S.A.U.
Erste Bank Hungary Zrt.
Gránit Bank Zrt.
Bridgestone Europe NV
NanGenex Nanotechnológiai Zrt.
Affinity Equity Partners (S) PTE Ltd
Honeywell International Inc.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
WIZZ Air Hungary Légiközlekedési Kft.
Grupo Cementos de Chihuahua (Materiales)
ATCO Structures & Logistics Ltd.
AutoBinck Car Distribution and Retail B.V.
- Supported Master Good in its acquisition of SÁGA. EY by providing legal, financial, tax due diligence, transaction structuring and implementation support.
- Advised Cott Corporation, and its subsidiary Eden Springs, in its entry into the Hungarian market by way of the acquisition of the 100% shareholding of Clearwater Kft.
- Advised Gránit Bank on a complex and unprecedented portfolio transfer of a secured and Central Bank refinanced corporate mortgage portfolio, where the seller was a bank subject to insolvency proceedings (and the procedure was driven by the National Bank of Hungary, in its role as the supervisor of the Hungarian banking system).
Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office
Richard Mosonyi and Dániel Szabó co-head Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office's practice, which specialises in supporting banking clients, asset management firms and those in the private equity and venture capital sector. Its work includes handling day-to-day corporate issues, licensing and regulatory matters. The firm is praised for its 'fast and accurate work and almost constant availability'.
Richard Mosonyi; Dániel Szabó
‘Dr. Daniel Szabo is our main contact. Daniel is a very clever, high level educated lawyer with extensive knowledge, his communication is clear and understandable for non-legal persons also which is very important.’
‘Helpful, interpretable communication – very accurate work – strict adherence to deadlines – ensuring continuous availability – flexible cooperation – very good professionals’
‘In training, the company’s experts stand out not only for their up-to-date theoretical and practical knowledge but also for their flexibility and very good presentation skills.’
‘The company is characterized by fast and accurate work and almost constant availability. I always turn to them with confidence.’
‘They are unquestionable professionally’
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt.
Amundi Alapkezelő Zrt.
LEAD VENTURES Alapkezelő Zrt.
AEGON Biztosító Zrt.
RIGG Vagyonkezelő Zrt.
SPB Befektetési Zrt.
Sinus Fair Group
EPAM Systems Kft.
Diófa Alapkezelő Zrt.
Városi Alapkezelő Zrt.
Europroperty Ingatlanalapkezelő Zrt.
- Advised Raiffeisen in relation to concluding the lease agreement for their new HQ.
- Advised KBC group in relation to the restructuring of its Hungarian investment fund managing activity.
- Advised NUTEX public limited company in relation to the issuance of preference shares.
According to a client, KCG Partners Law Firm has 'a team of highly efficient, solution-oriented, quick-thinking attorneys' who focus on private M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. The key contacts are Eszter Kamocsay-Berta and Gabriella Gálik, who also advise on corporate governance, compliance and regulatory issues. They also assist local charities on a pro bono basis.
Eszter Kamocsay-Berta; Gabriella Gálik
‘KCG Partners are a team of highly efficient, solution-oriented, quick-thinking attorneys.’
‘KCG partners were patient and supportive all along the way, always responded immediately, and got things done often within a very short timeframe.’’
‘KCG Partners understands the business of their clients and act with integrity.’
‘Eszter Kamocsay-Berta stands out for her ability to manage transactions of high complexity, even in times of the current unprecedented disruptions for business everywhere. ’
‘Very professional, knowledgable and responsive. Have greatly enjoyed working with Gabriella Galik over the last few years. She has provided solid advice and pulled-in additional resources and experts when required.’
‘We have been working closely with Gabriella Galik over the last 2+ years on a complex international structure. Gabriella has so far always provided excellent advice, shown great flexibility in terms of telephone/online meetings (across multiple time zones) and provided her services in a very timely manner. She has a wonderfully friendly demeanour which has made working with her a real pleasure.’
‘Based on my past experience, KCG Partners is one of the best prepared and proactive law firms I have ever worked with and definitely the best value for money. Their professional knowledge, ideas and approach toward solving issues have always impressed me and that is why I have chosen them as a business partner. They are also very focused on client satisfaction and to serve the needs on a very high standard. They are very responsive, effective and proactive when solving even quite complex issues. Their negotiation skill is also admirable. They are growing constantly in a very competitive market and they have a solid reputation in the Hungarian market.’
‘ KCG Partners handles my business matters with the highest professional standards. They are prompt in answering my questions and are always by my side to discuss the possibilities in an arising problem. They always explain to me the Hungarian legal environment in a way easy to follow. KCG Partners is a notable firm on the Hungarian legal market with an excellent reputation, working by international standards. I can describe them to be reliable and trustworthy.’
Association of the French Government Scholars
TPLG Tout Pour le Grain
- Advising LEGO A/S in connection with the Hungarian Manufacturing Unit and the Hungarian Sales Unit of the LEGO Group on company law, compliance, commercial and restructuring matters.
- Advising Association of the French Government Scholars on a pro bono basis on corporate and contractual matters such as the organisation of its annual meetings, the registration of corporate changes, preparing sponsoring agreements.
- Assisted Imex International Kft. in setting up the Hungarian operation and related commercial business arrangements.
KPMG Legal Tóásó Law Firm has been kept busy handling a variety of commercial and corporate matters. The group has also recently seen an uptick in work related to advice to foreign companies investing in strategic targets in light of new legislation concerning Covid-19. Key names include Bálint Tóásó and Ildikó Csák.
Bálint Tóásó; Ildikó Csák
Other key lawyers:
‘The advisor team is well prepared and very flexible from each point of view. We were able to find solutions and prompt support for all our requests. The team members are very competent in their field of responsibility and specialization.‘
‘I believe the willingness of the team and personnel to go the extra mile and think out of the box is what makes the difference. We really like their fast adaptation to the problem and providing necessary support by several specialist of the team. The pandemic did not influence the good level of collaboration.‘
‘The difference from other competitors for us is in the promptness and accuracy of reaction which enables us to handle our corporate issues very fast.‘
EXIM Exportösztönző Magántőkealap
Mondi Bags Hungária Korátolt Felelősségű Társaság
Glastronic Hungary Kft.
Vincotech Hungária Elektronikai Gyártó Kft.
DANIELLA Kereskedelmi Kft.
SPG Sportcikk Kereskedelmi Kft.
- Assisted EXIM Exportösztönző Magántőkealap with a HUF3,75bn acquisition of the majority interest in a Chinese smart-parking start-up.
- Advised Mondi Bags Hungária on structuring its equity during its HUF2,3 billion restructuring.
- Assisting Glastronic Hungary Kft with inter alia an internal restructuring, contract drafting and other related legal services.