Specialising in the resolution of complex business and cross-border disputes, Bofill Escobar Silva Abogados' sizeable practice consistently acts before both local and foreign courts and international arbitration tribunals; it is particularly well known for its experience in high-profile matters such as the Penta and Cascadas cases. Areas of recent growth include litigation before and against public entities in relation to urban development, antitrust issues, environmental law and infrastructure. Consistently acting as lead counsel in high-profile cases, Jorge Bofill was recently hired to present oral arguments before the Supreme Court on behalf of Julio Ponce, which successfully led to the reduction of a securities fine from $70m to $3m. Sebastián Yanine is a highly regarded civil and commercial dispute resolution expert; while Francisco Aninat's practice focuses on the resolution of national and international disputes, particularly in relation to civil, environmental, and antitrust matters. Also noted are: Loreto Silva, who has deep expertise across the construction, public works and infrastructure projects area, including disputes boards; Vanessa Facuse (public law-related disputes including public planning, public concessions and competition), who made partner in October 2019; and counsel and litigator Marcela Vega, who also has a sub-speciality in internal corporate investigations. The team was strengthened further with the October 2020-hire of criminal litigator and senior associate Andrea Lema from the Public Criminal Defender's Office (DPP).
Dispute resolution: litigation in Chile
Jonás Gómez Pacheco
Inmobiliaria a Inversiones Chicureo
Empresa de Transportes de Pasajeros Metro
Sociedad Concesionaria Costanera Norte
Consorcio Puente Chacao (subsidiary of Hyundai Engineering & Construction)
DLA – Inmobiliaria Nueva El Golf
AMC Networks Latin America
Julio Ponce Lerou (indirect shareholder of SQM)
Enel Generación Chile
Grupo Auguri (controller of Clínica Las Condes)
Juan Emilio Cheyre
- Successfully represented Julio Ponce before the Supreme Court in the Cascadas case, which confirmed the reduction of a securities law fine from $70m to $3m.
- Represented Grupo Auguri, the majority shareholder of Clínica Las Condes, in litigation against a former member of the board.
- Represented Sociedad Concesionaria Costanera Norte in a massive tort case, comprising over 40 civil liability lawsuits that relate to alleged damages caused by the overflow of Santiago’s main river.
The largest law firm in Chile, full-service market stalwart Carey is widely respected for its participation in the country's most significant and complex cases. The 25-strong practice group is co-led by four figures: Gonzalo Fernández, who is recognised as one of Chile's top litigators; Aldo Molinari, who focuses on civil and commercial litigation along with administrative and environmental regulatory disputes; Ricardo Reveco, a specialist in insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings and construction disputes; and Juan Carlos Riesco, whose broad practice includes litigation, antitrust and regulatory litigation. Recent highlights include Fernández's representation of major casino corporation Sun Dreams in three suits against the Chilean Gambling Regulator (Superintendencia de Casinos de Juego), regarding the renewal of casinos' operational licenses in Chile. Notable support at associate level is provided by Roberto Villaseca and Mónica Pérez, who focus on civil and commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
Gonzalo Fernández; Ricardo Reveco; Aldo Molinari; Juan Carlos Riesco
MetLife Chile Seguros de Vida
Central Hidroeléctrica Chanleufu
Baron Philippe de Rothschild
Clínica Lo Curro
Sociedad de Inversiones Invermed
Agrícola La Encina
Agrícola Santa Sara
- Acted for casino and gaming corporation Sun Dreams in three lawsuits against the Chilean Gambling Regulator, in relation to the rightful application of regulations for the renewal of casino licenses in Chile.
- Acted for copper, gold and molybdenum extraction project Nueva Unión, in a claim filed by Christie, the owner of a neighbouring real estate property.
- Acted for major tissue-paper manufacturer Essity, in two class actions seeking compensation for damages caused to consumers due to its past collusion with CMPC.
The pre-eminent, 30-strong dispute resolution practice at full-service law firm Claro & Cia. has a market-leading reputation for complex commercial court litigation, domestic and international arbitration, and transnational litigation requiring multi-jurisdictional coordination; the firm also has a significant white-collar crime practice. Senior partner José María Eyzaguirre G has over 30 years' experience in litigation and arbitration matters; Cristóbal Eyzaguirre's broad practice includes commercial arbitration and litigation; while Nicolás Luco is experienced in energy disputes. Also key to the practice are experienced partners Felipe Ossa and José Miguel Huerta, while Santiago Bravo was elevated to the partnership in January 2020. The strong associate pool includes seniors Javier Rodríguez (who regularly acts for domestic and foreign clients before the Chilean courts) and Vicente Portales (litigation and arbitration in relation to energy, construction, infrastructure and transport); antitrust and litigation specialist Álvaro Vives; Juan Pablo Celis (litigation, antitrust law, arbitration and bankruptcy proceedings); and Tomás Kreft, who is experienced in litigation, arbitration and antitrust matters.
José María Eyzaguirre G; Cristóbal Eyzaguirre; Nicolás Luco; Felipe Ossa; José Miguel Huerta; Santiago Bravo
Latam Airlines Group
Minera Los Pelambres
Entel PCS Telecomunicaciones
- Representing Chilena Consolidada Seguros de Vida in a dispute in which it is accused by Codelco of involvement in an alleged fraud involving the management of trade union workers’ insurance policies.
- Represented Latam Airlines in several proceedings, including acting for its controlling shareholders and certain executives and board of directors members in a civil procedure initiated by a Latam shareholder.
- Defended Minera Los Pelambres against a claim for alleged damages arising out of the operation of its dam.
'Capable of solving complex matters', Gutiérrez, Waugh, Jimeno & Asenjo's 16-strong practice, jointly led by name partners Pedro Pablo Gutiérrez and Cristóbal Jimeno, is regularly instructed to act before the courts, state agencies and arbitrators in Chile's most high-profile, civil and commercial disputes. The practice has notable sector expertise that covers construction, mining, telecoms, energy, banking, finance, insurance and retail, along with a strong commitment to pro bono work. Gutiérrez's experience includes representing both domestic and international clients, as well as the Chilean Government, in high-profile matters; while Jimeno’s practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, arbitration, and the resolution of financial, insurance and construction disputes. Also key to the practice are civil, commercial, and administrative litigation expert Juan Francisco Asenjo; and Joaquín Castillo (the firm's first non-founding partner), who regularly acts in retail and telecoms-related consumer rights' proceedings. Jaime Elgueta and Sebastían Zamora are the associate attorneys to note.
Pedro Pablo Gutiérrez; Cristóbal Jimeno
‘Highly professional lawyers who can handle highly complex legal issues.‘
‘Professionalism, enthusiasm, seriousness, collaboration and availability.‘
‘Partners and professional associates who are capable of solving complex matters.‘
Meridiam Latam Holdings
Moneda Asset Administradora de Fondos
Empresa Constructora Echeverría Izquierdo
Agrícola Don Pollo
Banco Itaú – Corpbanca
- Acted for Codelco on its claim against the Chilean General Comptroller, seeking to annul decrees issued by the state agency that determine the regulations for Codelco’s contracts with third parties that involve company members.
- Defended Telefónica Móviles Chile (TMC) against a highly complex claim filed by OPS Ingeniería, which sought compensation for antitrust-related damages.
- Represented Consorcio Valle Hermoso (a partnership company formed by construction companies Conpax and Valko), in a dam construction-related claim against the Ministry of Public Works.
Leading Chilean full-service law firm Barros & Errázuriz fields a seasoned team of dispute resolution experts who act in all types of civil and commercial litigation and mediation proceedings, as well as cases before national regulatory agencies; it also frequently works with and for non-profit organisations. The practice is co-led by Luis Eduardo Toro, who has extensive litigation experience across contractual law, torts, consumer law, commercial matters and antitrust; David Cademartori, who heads the firm's contentious administrative sub-practice; Javier San Martín, a specialist in contractual law, bankruptcy, construction, consumer law and commercial issues; and name partner José Tomás Errázuriz, a senior figure with huge arbitral and litigious experience. José Luis Corvalán was made partner in April 2021, while at senior associate level Isidora Fernández and Cristián Pérez are specialised in civil and commercial litigation.
José Tomás Errázuriz; Luis Eduardo Toro; Javier San Martin, David Cademartori
‘It is a team with a lot of knowledge, dedication and ideas that go further.‘
‘They do not leave anything to chance, they look for solutions that can go beyond the usual, always within the norm, but carrying out analyzes, interpretations: David Cademartori andLuis Eduardo Toro.‘
‘They are a dynamic team that has been able to give creative responses to the various conflicts that as a real estate company we have been exposed to over the years.‘
‘We have formed a relationship of intimate trust with Barros and Errázuriz, consulting them regarding the strategic decisions that the company has made. Its main difference with other firms is that, beyond From technical knowledge, the team is genuinely concerned about the smooth running of the company and is able to intervene successfully in strategic decisions.‘
‘The lawyer David Cademartori stands out, who is responsible for strategic decisions in the negotiation processes with clients and with the authority and for providing creative solutions to the conflicts that he has had with clients and with third parties.‘
‘Team members currently have the ability to work remotely from anywhere and connect with both us and our company employees living abroad.‘
‘Very good criteria to determine the path of the litigation, with high control capacities for handling the dispute.‘
‘Cristian Perez, is very diligent in his answers and with a good disposition to act.‘
‘José Tomas Errazuriz, with high capacity and criteria to face the litigation.‘
‘We have had very good results and they can be compared favorably with other teams.‘
‘They are always available for answers and are very proactive and careful about the work they do.‘
‘Collaboration and relationship with the internal legal area of the organization. In other words, they are proactive and propose actions to follow without us suggesting them.‘
Inmobiliaria El Plomo
Raúl Segundo Carlos Teodoro Schüler Gatica
Banco Bilbao Viscaya Argentaria (Scotiabank)
Inmobiliaria Socovesa Santiago
Constructora Socovesa Santiago
Aguas del Valle
Compañía Puerto Coronel
Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello
Empresa Correos de Chile
Héctor Claro Collins y José Montt
Juicio Demarcación y Cerramiento
- Acting for Inmobiliaria El Plomo in three claims initiated by building owners, including allegations of excessive charging of the common expenses for a building’s administration.
- Defended Inmobiliaria Socovesa Santiago and Constructora Socovesa Santiago against a construction defects-related lawsuit filed by 34 property owners.
- Acted for Sociedad Comercial Rivalta (SCR), an affiliate of Familia Gálmez Group, in pursuing the annulation of a contract, further to which certain properties were sold by falsifying the signature of SCR representatives.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana's 23-strong litigation practice is well known in the market for its representation of local and international clients from the mining, energy, retail, finance and infrastructure sectors. It is co-led by Andrés Jana, who led representation of the Chilean Government’s Ministry of Public Works during pre-trial negotiations concerning the construction of a suspension bridge over the Chacao Channel; Rodrigo Gil, a contract law specialist; and 'extraordinary lawyer and litigator' Karen Werner, who was hired from Gutiérrez, Waugh, Jimeno & Asenjo in 2019. Werner recently co-led the team acting for three insurance companies in a contractual dispute regarding the Valle Grande real estate project. At senior associate level, Tomás Bown focuses on commercial lawsuits, conflicts between shareholders, insolvencies, and construction and mining-related disputes.
Andrés Jana; Rodrigo Gil; Karen Werner
‘What makes it different is the confidence the team gives to clients.‘
‘A great help when solving complex and specific issues.‘
‘The diagnosis of the case was carried out by the team with extraordinary speed and precision.‘
‘They quickly understood the fundamentals of our case, both the facts and the law, and they structured their arguments very well.‘
‘Great for the dedication they put into a case from the very beginning and their interest in our industry, which made it very easy to work with them.‘
‘Karen Werner is a great attorney, who manages to do an excellent job litigating and is committed to solving cases.‘
‘Karen Werner is an extraordinary lawyer and litigator, and work of this level is not easy to find. She is concerned about cases, sharp in her analysis, a perfectionist, and very knowledgeable about the law. She was involved from start to finish – something that many partners don’t do.‘
‘Senior associate Tomás Bown showed a great willingness to work hard, and was quick to understand the context and rationale of the case – he stands out, and despite his young age has extensive knowledge of the law.‘
Bice Vida Compañía de Seguros
Compañía de Seguros de Vida Corpvida
Compañía de Seguros de Vida Consorcio Nacional de Seguros
Ministry of Public Works
Compañía Contractual Minera Candelaria
Asociación de Consumidores de Santiago
Minera Los Pelambres
Fábrica de Pavimentos y Revestimientos Budnik Hermanos
Agrícola e Inversiones Kurcula
Sociedad Contractual Minera Eton Chile (currently Norte Abierto)
- Acted for Bice Vida Compañía de Seguros, Compañía de Seguros de Vida Corpvida and Compañía de Seguros de Vida Consorcio Nacional de Seguros in a contractual dispute over a 400-hectare real estate project, known as Valle Grande.
- Acted for the Chilean Government’s Ministry of Public Works in pre-trial negotiations regarding the construction of a suspension bridge crossing the Chacao Channel, and concerning additional payments and an extension to the original construction contract.
- Ongoing representation of CORFO in a series of long-running damages claims before the domestic courts to recover funds that were embezzled from the Chilean State.
Bulnes, Urrutia & Bustamante
'Exceptional' boutique law firm Bulnes, Urrutia & Bustamante is consistently sought out for the litigation of complex cases, particularly those closely followed by the media. Name partners Felipe Bulnes, Enrique Urrutia and José Manuel Bustamante co-lead the eight-strong practice. With a25 year trajectory, Bulnes ('a great lawyer') has represented some of the most important corporations in Chile, public agencies and the Chilean state in high-profile cases. Urrutia and Bustamante, along with next generation partner Gonzalo Vial, focus on particularly complex litigation proceedings, primarily those involving the construction, energy and finance sectors. Tomás Wolff provides strong associate-level support, while the arrival of experienced dispute resolution specialist Germán Subercaseaux from Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría in mid-2021 has further strengthened the practice.
Felipe Bulnes; Enrique Urrutia; José Manuel Bustamante
‘The partners get directly involved in the issues, and they not only provide the legal advice that is required but they always go further in trying to provide comprehensive solutions for the client.‘
‘Advisers who manage to generate long-term relationships of trust.‘
‘The work is of great quality and reliable.‘
‘Very flexible and always ready to support clients, even under pressure.‘
‘Excellent as litigants and great negotiators – although it is a boutique firm, it stands out from other firms.‘
‘The team is exceptional and they are constantly in contact.‘
‘Felipe Bulnes and José Manuel Bustamante are both exceptional attorneys; they understand our business and its motivations, and have a long-term business vision; they are also purposeful, innovative and capable of generating consensus in adverse scenarios.‘
‘Felipe Bulnes is a great lawyer, who is intelligent and strategic – an imposing figure for any rival. He also has vast experience and generates a lot of trust in the client.‘
Cooperativa Agrícola y Lechera de La Unión
Compañía General de Electricidad
Enel Generación Chile
Ernst & Young
Panel de Expertos en Derecho Eléctrico
- Acted for Aguas Andinas in several collective claims filed by SERNAC in relation to the interruption of the drinking-water supplies in 2016 and 2017.
- Represented SMU in both an unfair competition case against Walmart, and its defence against three different class actions that were filed by consumer associations in relation to the sale of fresh chicken.
- Instructed by CGE to lead a complex negotiation process with thousands of alleged victims of wildfires that occurred in the central part of Chile during the summer of 2017.
Composed of 'highly-trained trial lawyers', Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' diverse and inclusive 18-strong team has an impressive litigation track-record in relation to environment law, energy, mining, securities and tax, along with construction and insurance cases, competition matters, consumer protection and class action defences. Veteran practitioner and head of litigation, Florencio Bernales 'works very hard to have the best strategy'. He is flanked by fellow partners Fernando Urrutia, an expert in construction cases and insolvency-related proceedings; Raimundo Moreno, a civil litigation and arbitration specialist; and Jorge Boldt, who heads the white-collar and compliance practices. Notable senior associates include José Ignacio Azar (formerly a foreign attorney at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP) and Trinidad Torres, who regularly acts alongside Bernales. (Former litigation associate José Manuel Donoso has moved to the firm's corporate and competition departments).
Florencio Bernales; Fernando Urrutia; Raimundo Moreno; Jorge Boldt
‘We choose them for the extremely complex cases.‘
‘A team of excellent professionals, solidly trained, capable, and with an easy and pleasant manner.‘
‘They have very good legal training and a great understanding of the client’s needs.‘
‘The Cariola law firm has highly trained trial lawyers, both in knowledge of the regulations and in research matters, which they express in a very correct and satisfactory way in each of the disputes for which they are hired.‘
‘They deliver very accurate and fast information.‘
‘Renowned lawyers in litigation matters, such as Florencio Bernales, Jorge Boldt and senior associate Trinidad Torres, who are always willing to align the interests of the client with those of a solid defence and strategy.‘
‘We had a very good experience with Florencio Bernales, who works very hard to have the best strategy – and obtains results.‘
‘Florencio Bernales is an excellent litigator.‘
Larraín Vial (Corredora de Bolsa)
Summer Walker Tompkins
Empresa Nacional de Energía
Toronto Capital Group
- Currently representing (in relation to the headline Cascadas case) Larrain Vial in civil claims filed against the Securities and Insurance regulator (SVS), requesting the reversal of SVS fines.
- Acted for Google in several constitutional actions filed during 2020 and 2021, which were based on alleged violations of honour, privacy, the right to emotional well-being, and the so-called right to be forgotten.
- Defended Minera Cerro Colorado (as co-counsel) against challenges to its environmental authorisation.
Marinovic & Alcalde Abogados' partner-heavy practice covers a range of conflicts between shareholders and the boards of incorporated companies; and is widely lauded for its experience in disputes involving public infrastructure and large project concessions, as well as litigation concerning trusts, large estates, and high-net-worth family assets. In addition, the team acts in litigation concerning oil-and-gas matters and M&A. Seasoned litigator Enrique Alcalde (formerly head of litigation at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría until 2019) now leads his firm's dispute resolution and arbitration team, while fellow founding partner Iván Marinovic is highly regarded for complex civil litigation and white-collar investigations. Additional, younger -yet nonetheless key- practice members include Benjamín García (contractual liability, torts, environmental law, estate-related proceedings and construction disputes); and Nicolás Marinovic, who is experienced in land expropriation cases. Public law and administrative proceedings expert Tomás Ruiz-Tagle arrived from a post in the Chilean Government in 2019.
Administradora de Fondos Provida
Naviera Orca Chile
Maxi Mobility Chile II
Heraclio Navia Navarro
Claudio Navia Palma
Paula Navia Palma
Fundación Educacional para el Desarrollo Integral del Menor (Fundación Integra)
Pablo Brenner Ferrer
- Acted for major Chilean pension fund administrator in Chile, AFP Provida, in civil lawsuits arising out of the high-profile Cascadas case, which involved manipulation of the securities market.
- Acted for Pasaje Bus, an online bus ticket app, in a compensation claim for loss of earnings against competitor Recorrido Latinoamérica, which used a similar internet domain to capture customers.
- Successfully acted for petroleum wholesaler Rec Bitumen in a contractual claim.
Ortúzar, Vergara & Boetsch Abogados
Specialised disputes boutique Ortúzar, Vergara & Boetsch Abogados has a longstanding reputation and track record in the resolution of high-profile cases. The eight-strong department is co-led by name partners Alvaro Ortúzar (currently focused on appellate advocacy before the higher courts); shareholder, insurance and antitrust litigation expert Nicolás Vergara; and Cristián Boetsch, whose practice includes insurance litigation and consumer law class actions. The practice is well known for representing major construction, agro-industrial, banking, real estate, mining, insurance and retail companies in civil and commercial law-related claims, ranging from property and insurance matters to shareholder and consumer law disputes; it also maintains a robust administrative and constitutional litigation practice. Construction and insurance litigation specialist Benjamín Morales and Diego Navarrete, who litigates claims involving energy, marine ports and shareholders, were both elevated to the partnership in 2020. Key associate support comes from Andrés Cáceres.
Alvaro Ortúzar; Nicolás Vergara; Cristián Boetsch
‘The team is possibly one of the strongest in Chile, both in terms of knowledge and performance, as well as cohesion and synergy.‘
‘A dynamic team with very good responsiveness levels and a great technical base.‘
‘They make sure that the work is always done very well.‘
‘They know how to accompany the client at all stages of the litigation process.‘
‘All the lawyers that make up the firm are outstanding professionals, each one capable of tackling the most complex cases – this team is one of a kind.‘
‘Cristián Boetsch is one of the most seasoned litigants I know – very strategic, deep, available and highly reliable; he also has great analytical skills and is very good at handling situations.‘
‘Diego Navarrete is great for his leadership and pragmatism in solving complex and unforeseen situations.‘
‘Nicolás Vergara and Diego Navarrete are outstanding.‘
Archdiocese Of Santiago
Asociación de Canalistas del Canal Lorino y la Comunidad de Aguas Canal Campino
Curacavi Town Hall
Cooperativa Agrícola Pisquera Elqui
El Cóndor Combustibles
Empresa Portuaria Valparaíso
Enel Green Power
Francisco Vergara Irarrázaval
Liberty Compañía de Seguros Generales
María Pinto County
Sura Insurance Company
Vantrust Corredores De Bolsa
- Represented Minera Invierno before the Supreme Court in its request to annul an Environmental Court ruling, which denied approval for an $850m coal mining project.
- Represented the Archdiocese of Santiago in a civil action brought by the surviving widow of the founder of Soprole, who sought the annulment of contracts that were executed to create the Isabel Aninat Canonical Foundation.
- Representing two municipalities and over 700 farmers in potential legal actions against Colbún, arising out of the collapse of a tunnel in an irrigation canal.
Pellegrini & Rencoret Abogados
Following the September 2020 departure of former practice co-head Francisco Blavi, commercial litigation and arbitration boutique Pellegrini & Cía. reincorporated with Pedro Rencoret as a name partner in February 2021. the result is Pellegrini & Rencoret Abogados, which has substantial disputes expertise, particularly in relation to construction contracts, energy and telecoms. Well-known figure Julio Pellegrini's practice covers commercial litigation involving contractual claims, torts and class actions; while that of Rencoret involves litigation concerning contracts and unfair competition, as well as disputes with a notable economic component. Additional developments include the elevation of both Fernando Zúñiga, who is experienced in international disputes, and experienced litigator Diego Ramos to the partnership. At associate level, Fernando Gazzella, María Jesús Cifuentes and Bernardo Aylwin (an August 2020-arrival from Enrique Barros & Cía) provide key support.
Julio Pellegrini; Pedro Rencoret
‘The team works very well together, complementing each other while playing to each other’s strengths.‘
‘They are technical, determined, strategic, attentive to detail and hardworking.‘
‘They work excellently as a team and have very good communication both internally and with the client.‘
‘The information comes in a concise manner and in a format and language that clients can understand, and it is explained in a way so that everything is very clear and always in context.‘
‘They provide the confidence and security that your case is in the best hands, and what stands out the most is the commitment to clients and their cases.‘
‘Julio Pellegrini, Pedro Rencoret and Diego Ramos have very good technical knowledge – they make a tremendous team, are very strategic and modify strategies to incorporate new variables to achieve the objectives.‘
‘Fernando Zúñiga is always available, flexible, incisive in the design of strategies, and focused on results.‘
‘Associate María Jesús Cifuentes is outstanding – she is always available to her clients, providing agile solutions with added value.‘
Asesorías e inversiones El Trapiche
Caja Los Andes
- Acted for Servitrans in a claim against the Municipality of Osorno concerning the construction contract for a sanitary landfill in the south of Chile.
- Acted for Scotiabank in a claim filed by Sernac that concerned alleged infringments of consumer law.
- Acted for the Camiroaga Family in a civil claim filed against the Republic of Chile for damages, further to the death of TV presenter Felipe Camiroaga in a plane crash.
Albagli Zaliasnik's 14-strong civil and arbitration team acts for major national and multinational businesses and individuals throughout the LatAm region (and beyond) in complex, high-stakes dispute resolution. Representative work includes disputes between individuals, high-value conflicts involving corporations, and administrative, criminal, and constitutional law-related matters. International law and civil and commercial litigation expert, Ariela Agosin, heads the civil litigation and arbitration group, as well as the competition, antitrust and regulatory group, while maintaining a strong presence in the IP department. Senior associate Félix Antolín, whose practice includes civil, commercial, economic and natural resources-related litigation, is director of the group, which also includes litigator Francisco Fuentes, who was promoted to senior associate in May 2020.
Ariela Agosin; Felix Antolin
‘Very good litigants, both from the point of view of strategy and execution.‘
‘They stay close to their clients and have a creative way of dealing with matters.‘
Empresas La Polar
Empresa Nacional del Estado
Airbus Helicopters Cono Sur
Bodegas San Francisco
Víctor Riesco (Cementerio Metropolitano)
Corporación Union Española
Mutual de Seguridad
Banco Do Brasil
- Defended Roberto Guzman Lyon, one of the main executives fined by the SVS (Chile’s Securities and Exchange Commission), in relation to the Cascadas case, which involved a series of stock transactions.
- Acted for Ralei Development Group in its damages claim for breach of contract against Oracle Corporation, which concerned the provision of a platform to manage real estate projects.
- Defended Bodegas San Francisco in a contractual dispute.
Baker McKenzie Chile
In addition to its advice to substantial multinational companies such as Oracle Corporation, Unilever and Ohio National, Baker McKenzie Chile's 13-strong department regularly assists major local companies such as Cencosud and AFP Habitat; it also stands out for its expertise in class action litigation. Leading the dispute resolution and antitrust practices in Santiago, Rodrigo Díaz de Valdés' experience includes acting in cases involving long-term energy contracts, construction, projects and investment-protection matters. Up-and-coming younger partner Ignacio Naudon has broad experience in disputes concerning infrastructure projects, construction contracts, distribution agreements, securities, corporate law and M&A. Key associate-level support comes from senior Antonio López, who specializes in infrastructure and construction disputes, and insolvency and bankruptcy cases.
Rodrigo Díaz de Valdés; Ignacio Naudon
‘Very thorough and strategic lawyers, who provide that additional element, which allows you to win a lawsuit that was not very likely to succeed.‘
‘Very personalised client service.‘
The President of the Republic
- Successfully represented the President of the Republic before the Constitutional Court in a landmark human rights litigation case, which concerned freedom of speech.
- Represented Cencosud in follow-on class actions submitted by SERNAC (and a consumer group), which claimed damages following a hub-and-spoke cartel (for which Cencosud was sanctioned, alongside Walmart and SMU, by the Antitrust Court).
- Represented the President of the Republic in a special action brought to declare that amendments introduced to the National Budget bill were unconstitutional.
Coz Jofré & Blavi Abogados
Coz & Jofré was launched in early 2020 by José Coz and Álvaro Jofré (both formerly of Oddo & Cía), only to rebrand as Coz Jofré & Blavi Abogados, following the August 2020 incorporation of a third name-partner, Francisco Blavi, from the former Pellegrini & Cía. Specialised in dispute resolution, the practice focuses on both litigation and international and domestic arbitration. Blavi has notable experience in disputes across the construction, energy, finance and corporate sectors; Coz's experience includes sizeable and high-profile disputes; and Jofré's broad litigation practice includes claims involving high-profile individuals and families' company interests. The associate to note is Benjamín Letelier, who regularly acts before local courts, arbitral tribunals, the Competition Court and the Constitutional Court.
Francisco Blavi; José Coz; Alvaro Jofré
‘The team has successful experience in cases, and uncommon dedication and capacity for work.‘
‘They have deep knowledge of the laws – an advantage when compared to other firms.‘
‘Impressed by their knowledge of our case and the procedures, as well as their analytical capacity.‘
‘Great for integrity, honesty, logic and analysis.‘
‘Very good at identifying strengths, weaknesses and overlooked issues.‘
‘A very dedicated team – excellent service and professionalism.‘
‘Great command of modern IT techniques.‘
‘Francisco Blavi has extensive experience and knowledge, and very good strategic vision.‘
CMC Di Ravenna
- Represents Hochtief and CMC Di Ravenna in domestic proceedings that concern the Alto Maipo project.
- Representing APROVAL, the biggest association of producers of milk in the southern region of Chile, in a civil case against The Not Company for commercializing a product that is not milk as if it were, while referencing real milk as bad for the environment.
- Representing Salfa in class action proceedings relating to the construction of a large building.
Leading Iberian law firm Cuatrecasas finally opened the doors of its Chilean office in April 2020, initiating its Santiago presence with the hire of key members of Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's disputes team, including highly-rated litigation team heads Cristián Conejero Roos (who also leads the arbitration practice), and Gianfranco Lotito, 'a great lawyer whose litigation strategies are blended with thoughtful corporate and financial viewpoints'. The seven-strong group fields specialists in civil, commercial, constitutional and administrative issues; and since its inception, has handled litigation ranging from banking and finance matters and securities investigations, to trade mark infringement and consumer law mediation proceedings.
Cristian Conejero; Gianfranco Lotito
‘Cuatrecasas has a robust team that comprises reliable and very responsive lawyers, who provide a multidisciplinary view on the various matters that arise during disputes.‘
‘The team stands out from other firms, since it has a collaborative approach to clients’ internal teams, providing legal advice with a clear commercial approach.‘
‘They understand the financial issues in our cases; and when you work with them you can be sure that they will handle the case properly, and understand our business, the interests involved, and the dispute’s underlying financial issues.‘
‘Gianfranco Lotito is a great lawyer whose litigation strategies are blended with thoughtful corporate and financial viewpoints.‘
‘Gianfranco Lotito is very assertive, focused on the detail, and key to designing the strategic steps that the dispute requires and the client’s interest demands.‘
‘Gianfranco Lotito gives us confidence when we implement the plan he recommends.‘
Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado
- Represented AFP Provida before the Supreme Court, challenging a decision of the Santiago Court of Appeals which rejected a motion to declare the illegality of a Transparency Council judgment.
- Defended Banco Itau Corpbanca against several legal actions.
- Acted for Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado in court proceedings against Consortium ECISA SICE, a contractor in charge of the construction of several railroads in southern Chile.
Regularly acting in significant ongoing litigation in Chile, Guerrero Olivos' 'available and decisive' team has been particularly active, recently, in relation to disputes involving the real estate, finance, construction, energy, mining, and food/agribusiness industries. Highly regarded for complex civil and commercial litigation, Sergio Yávar is the lead partner of the firm's dispute resolution and restructuring and insolvency practices; he oversaw the substantial strengthening of the practice in 2020 with the hire of 'great litigator' Benjamín Ferrada (complex disputes, civil and commercial lawsuits, constitutional claims, and tax and regulatory litigation), as partner, along with two associates from Della Maggiora, Eyzaguirre, Ferrada Abogados, where Ferrada was name partner. The practice's key associate for disputes involving both local and international clients is Constanza Urzúa.
Sergio Yávar; Benjamín Ferrada
‘Made up of professionals with real expertise in different areas, and who are capable of understanding complex situations from every angle in order to agree on a single and complete answer.‘
‘The team is formatted in such a way that makes them available and decisive.‘
‘Rigorous professional relationships while remaining very close to their clients.‘
‘Ability to open up and understand technical matters to establish ideas and solutions, along with their time availability.‘
‘A very good, dedicated, concerned and responsible team.‘
‘Great confidence in their work because of the very good results in trials.‘
‘Benjamín Ferrada is a great professional, who is very assertive and 100% involved with the client and the case; he is also able to visualise potential scenarios and different resolution approaches, proposing solid alternatives.‘
‘Benjamín Ferrada is a great litigator, who is very prepared and very empathetic with his clients.‘
Clínica Las Condes’ Executive Committee Staff
GLL Real Estate Partners
RML Group International Chile
Fundación San Carlos de Maipo
- Represented Falabella Inmobiliario in its defence of urban project approvals.
- Successfully represented Gravetal Bolivia in an international commercial dispute.
- Successfully represented the vast majority of Clínica Las Condes’ doctors, and its executive committee staff, in a civil dispute and administrative litigation.
López Escobar del Río Leiva
Specialist disputes boutique López Escobar del Río is now known as López Escobar del Río Leiva, having recently incorporated Felipe Leiva - a specialist in public sector-related dispute resolution and litigation - as a name partner. Founded in 2017, the litigation practice acts across civil, commercial and criminal matters (indeed, arguably it is best known for its white-collar practice), and covers a wide range of sectors, including finance, retail, electricity, ports, mining, banking and infrastructure. Senior figure Jorge del Río has some 40 years' litigation experience in dispute resolution and ADR. Major ongoing mandates include Julián López and José Ignacio Escobar 's leading the defence of Empresas Penta and Inversiones Penta III in the highly publicised tax fraud and bribery case known as Pentagate.
Jorge Del Río; Julián López; José Ignacio Escobar; Felipe Leiva
‘Great for its deep knowledge of the facts and the different judicial procedures, together with experience and good availability.‘
‘Deep technical knowledge of international criminal law and, above all, exquisite human treatment of the client.‘
‘Seriousness, dedication, good service, efficiency and results.‘
‘Very efficient, good communication with the client, and obtains favourable results in cases.‘
‘José Ignacio Escobar and his team offers full availability at any time it is necessary (including weekends and untimely hours due to time differences).‘
‘The skills, sharpness of intellect and excellent judgement of José Ignacio Escobar make him the best criminal lawyer in Chile.‘
‘José Ignacio Escobar’s temperance and poise are unmatched in the criminal legal industry.‘
Carlos Eugenio Lavín
Carlos Alberto Délano
Inversiones Penta III
Grupo Ossandón Larraín
Compañía Pesquera Camanchaca
Compañía Minera Cerro Colorado
Banco de Chile
Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Oriente
Anglo American Sur
- Currently leading the legal defence of Empresas Penta and Inversiones Penta III in the highly publicised Penta case, which relates to the alleged commission of tax crimes and bribery by the holding’s controllers.
- Led the criminal defence of Pesquera Camanchaca, Camanchaca Pesca Sur and Cannex in relation to a bribery investigation into fishing companies and professional associations, as well as the facilitation and issuance of false invoices.
- Acted for Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Oriente in a case involving a highway project tendered by the Public Works Ministry and a bribery investigation into a public official from the Environmental Evaluation Service.
Morales & Besa's ten-strong civil and commercial practice is consistently sought out for complex and substantial disputes; and its representative matters range from consumer protection and class actions, to administrative disputes, civil liability claims, construction matters and contractual liability. The team has also been active in relation to cases involving online services and social media. In recent highlights, practice head Gonzalo Cordero led the representation of Cencosud Retail, one of the largest retailers in Latin America, in a services contract claim filed by water and sanitation company, Aguas del Valle. At senior associate level, Orlando Palominos is a litigation, arbitration and insolvency expert; Juan Ignacio Eymin focuses on civil and administrative procedures; and recently promoted Nicolas Corbeaux's experience includes litigation in the construction, energy, infrastructure and public works concessions industries.
‘A team that is always available, with creative solutions and high levels of technical knowledge.‘
‘When we need quick and practical answers, this team delivers.‘
‘Professional and meticulous in their work.‘
‘Always involved in cases that are highly complex and of public interest.’
‘Great for the excellent dedication they have to their work.‘
‘Gonzalo Cordero stands out for his availability and professionalism.‘
‘Gonzalo Cordero demonstrates outstanding legal knowledge, and is highly regarded for civil litigation. He leads a team of excellent lawyers, among whom senior associate Nicolas Corbeaux stands out.‘
‘Senior associate Orlando Palominos is a really talented attorney; his level of technical knowledge and legal judgement are impeccable. I love working with him, because he has an excellent approach and a very practical view of litigation and/or prevention.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Metropolitana de Salud
Banco de Crédito e Inversiones
Consorcio Constructor Brotec-CIL
- Acted for Cencosud Retail, one of the largest retailers in Latin America, in a services contract claim filed by water and sanitation company, Aguas del Valle.
- Acted for Banco de Crédito e Inversiones in two damages claims filed by Destileria Los Andes and Dominique Massenez, which originated from a failed mining investment.
- Defended Universidad de Chile (which commissioned Sacyr Chile and Somague Engenharia to construct a landmark museum and arts centre) against the contractor’s claim for damages and restitution of guarantees, in relation to alleged design defects.
Ovalle & Bulnes Abogados
A widely respected litigation boutique firm, Ovalle & Bulnes Abogados' 'top-notch' team is consistently present in some of Chile's largest cases; its representative experience includes civil, commercial, construction and administrative litigation, along with competition/antitrust and insurance disputes. 'Exceptional lawyer' Esteban Ovalle has longstanding litigation experience, while 'very committed and analytical' fellow name partner José Tomás Bulnes focuses on both litigation and arbitration. Ovalle and Bulnes recently co-led the representation of irrigation specialists Grupo Hidromaule in seeking to have a number of contracts declared null and void. In other highlights, Ovalle acted for mining company Codelco in seeking additional payment for alleged damages, further to the execution of a services contract.
‘Proactive in the search for solutions and highly responsible.‘
‘Ovalle & Bulnes’ litigation and arbitration team is top-notch. They have a very good relationship with the client, are very available, and have a great work ethic.‘
‘Very astute, accurate and intelligent in their strategies – I recommend them.‘
‘Great for the energy and strength with which the firm carried out our long, exhausting and very delicate matter.‘
‘Esteban Ovalle and José Tomás Bulnes make a great team. Both are lawyers who study the papers, have deep knowledge of the matters, and who do not let the associates do their work for them.‘
‘Esteban Ovalle is an exceptional lawyer who is determined to carry out his strategies.‘
‘Esteban Ovalle is a great leader with a lot of experience – a great support both personally and professionally.‘
‘José Tomás Bulnes is very committed and analytical, with a great capacity for work; he is also meticulous, detailed and intelligent.‘
Sacyr / Sacyr Chile
Vinci Constructions Grands Projets (Agencia en Chile)
VCGP-Astaldi Ingeniería y Construcción
Jardín Infantil Mandarino
- Acted for Grupo Hidromaule in its claim that five contracts should be declared null and void.
- Acted for mining company Codelco in seeking to obtain an additional payment for alleged damages, further to the execution of a services contract.
- Acted for Parque Arauco on a compensation claim which arose from the termination of a lease contract.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's litigation department primarily handles civil and commercial matters, particularly in relation to the energy, entertainment, insurance, infrastructure, construction and real estate sectors. The former founding partner of Vial Larraín Abogados, Jorge Vial, who joined the firm in 2019 bringing five associates with him, is head of the disputes practice; and has vast experience as a litigator before the Supreme Court and appellate courts, as well as first instance civil courts. Key support comes from principal associate Senda Villalobos, a consumer law and class action specialist, and senior associate Sophie Hellmich. However, former partner Germán Subercaseaux moved to Bulnes, Urrutia & Bustamante in mid-2021..
Compañía de Seguros Generales Consorcio
Red Eléctrica del Norte
Club de Polo y Equitación San Cristóbal
Kinross (Maricunga y Salar Blanco)
Grupo Santo Tomas (Universidad Santo Tomas)
- Acted for Municipalidad de Santo Domingo in relation to a construction contract matter.
- Acted for RTV Architecture in a claim involving alleged construction defects.
- Defending Distribuidora de Industrias Nacionales against a creditor group’s claim for damages, pursuant to a refinancing contract.
Litigation is the second largest practice at full-service, mid-sized firm Prieto Abogados. The ‘great‘ seven-strong team regularly represents longstanding clients before the ordinary courts in disputes involving energy, construction, real estate and retail; and it has expanded its practice to cover new sectors, such as insurance, transportation, healthcare, telecoms and banking. The practice also has notably robust public law litigation expertise. The experienced leaders of the litigation department are Fernando Samaniego, who specialises in real estate, construction and antitrust litigation; utilities, energy, infrastructure and antitrust disputes expert Claudio Undurraga; and Alberto González V, who is highly regarded for real estate, construction and energy disputes. Counsel Juan Pablo Riesco and senior associate Cristóbal Jiménez are also key team members.
Fernando Samaniego; Alberto González Vidal; Claudio Undurraga
‘The team is characterised by its way of working, which aims to provide good client service, resolving doubts quickly and being available when necessary.‘
‘A highly qualified team with vast experience in judicial matters.‘
‘A great team with very good technical management and a lot of empathy towards the client.‘
‘Clients always get complete and extended answers, with every aspect covered – something that is not easy to find in the market.‘
Engie Energía Chile
Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte
Plaza (Falabella Group)
Inversiones Ferroviarias Bolivianas
- Represented Engie Energía Chile, Central Termoeléctrica Andina, Inversiones Hornitos and Electroandina in their claim against GasAtacama Chile, which alleges unlawful conduct deployed by GasAtacama between 2011 and 2015.
- Defended GWC Inversiones and Inversiones Ferroviarias Bolivianas, which have indirect control of Bolivia’s Tren Oriental, against a presumptive breach of contract claim brought by CB Inversiones.
- Defended Sibelco Chile and Transporte Sibelco Chile against a proceeding in which transport company Depetris Deflorian Hermanos claimed breach of contract, in relation to the transportation of limestone from Argentina to Chile.
Ugarte & Correa
At disputes boutique, Ugarte & Correa, the 14-strong team is widely recognised for its expertise in complex dispute resolution. The team is co-led by name partners José Joaquín Ugarte, a well-known litigator and arbitration figure in both the Chilean and Latin American market, who also acts in antitrust litigation; and Pablo Correa, whose experience includes proceedings before the ordinary and appeal courts, and the Supreme Court. Providing key, second line support, senior associate Karl Conrads is also a prominent disputes practitioner. The practice was further strengthened with the 2020 incorporations of senior associate Liat Tapia (previously at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría), an arbitration and litigation specialist admitted to practice in both Chile and New York; and international counsel Crescente Molina, a contractual law specialist who recently completed his doctorate at Oxford University.
José Joaquín Ugarte; Pablo Correa
‘Rapid understanding of the issues with accurate and highly grounded analysis and a strategic vision that adds value to the discussions.‘
‘The litigation team is very powerful due to its thorough knowledge of the cases they take on, down to the smallest detail; and their solutions to cases are very sophisticated and with in-depth knowledge of the applicable legislation.‘
‘Highly professional and competent team with exceptional performances.‘
‘Great for the dedication of the team and its experience in solving cases.‘
‘José Joaquín Ugarte is a great lawyer, who offers deep analysis and strategic vision when approaching the issues.‘
‘Pablo Correa is always available to attend to the client’s requirements, doubts and various queries, regardless of whether these occur within or outside of normal working hours, both during the week and at the weekend – for us this was and continues to be fundamental, and very difficult or almost impossible to find in Chile.‘
‘Pablo Correa is a great strategic negotiator, which helped us to move forward with very complex situations. In addition, he has solid knowledge and a remarkable business acumen – an excellent adviser.‘
‘Senior associate Karl Conrads is a young lawyer with great capacity for work, and quick understanding and resolution of problems.‘
Minera Cerro Bayo
Empresas Santa Elvira
Chocolates del Mundo
Hisense Gorenje Chile
Inmobiliaria Las Varas
Asociación Canal de las Mercedes
- Acted for Albemarle in its dispute with Corfo, which will define the price that Albemarle should pay to the Chilean state for lithium exploitation.
- Acted for Asociación Canal de las Mercedes in a dispute arising from the collapse of an aqueduct tunnel.
Vergara, Labarca & Cía
Boutique law firm Vergara, Labarca & Cía fields an eight-strong team that is exclusively focused on litigation and arbitration, including cross-border work, most notable in relation to commercial and civil law matters, construction, antitrust, energy and finance. The practice also acts in litigation involving shareholder claims, mining, environment and regulatory matters. Name partner Raimundo Labarca and Alejandro Parodi co-head the practice, and are both experienced in civil, commercial, constitutional and administrative litigation; they recently represented Codelco in litigation against insurance company Chilena Consolidada concerning alleged fraud in a public bid process. Younger member Raimundo Diego Labarca specialises in construction disputes.
Raimundo Labarca; Alejandro Parodi
‘An excellent law firm for litigation and conflict resolution.‘
‘They provide strategic, dedicated and deep advice, and their partners are excellent litigators.‘
‘Great for its professionalism, team cohesion, dedication, knowledge, thoroughness and vision.‘
‘All its members are of an excellent standard.‘
‘They clearly differentiate themselves, standing out from other litigation offices.‘
‘What sets the firm’s professionals apart is that they are extraordinarily creative and rigorous in their performance. The analysis and strategies are clearly far ahead of the other firms we have worked with, and they always come up with new strategies – this prestige is recognised in the legal market.‘
‘Raimundo Labarca has the ability to work with clients from multiple levels, from international CEOs to local operational directors.‘
‘Alejandro Parodi is an excellent litigator, who is very strategic and knowledgeable about the law.‘
Arrigoni Ingeniería y Construcción
- Represented Codelco in litigation against insurance company Chilena Consolidada, concerning alleged fraud during a public bid for mining trade union members’ health insurance policies.
- Represented Inversiones Tricahue (a minority shareholder in Enel’s subsidiary Pehuenche) in its claim that Enel mismanaged Pehuenche and acted abusively and for its own benefit.
- Represented Mall Sport (sports-related retailer) in a constitutional emergency proceeding (recurso de protección) before the Court of Appeal of Santiago and the Supreme Court.
Yrarrázaval, Ruiz-Tagle, Ovalle, Salas & Vial
Yrarrázaval, Ruiz-Tagle, Ovalle, Salas & Vial's 'motivated' eight-strong dispute resolution department is exclusively focused on litigation, arbitration and antitrust matters; and it has experienced particular growth in construction and unfair competition cases. Name partners and group co-heads Gerardo Ovalle and Fernando Salas have vast experience in complex cases before the courts and arbitral tribunals, at both domestic and international levels. Additional, high-level support is provided by fellow name partners Anibal Vial (energy, construction, unfair competition, tort and contract cases); Arturo Yrarrázaval (who recently acted for Latam Airlines Group (LATAM) in relation to its reorganisation under Chapter 11 of the US bankruptcy code); and Francisco Ruiz-Tagle, who has longstanding experience in resolving an array of highly complex conflicts.
Gerardo Ovalle; Fernando Salas
‘A team with a very good approach and that gets involved in the details of a case.‘
‘The standout feature is how motivated the team is.‘
‘The lawyers are really committed to their work, and very methodical and precise.‘
‘They stand out when compared to other firms for their commitment and knowledge of the applicable law, and for always being available to their clients.‘
‘Consistently achieves excellent results.‘
‘They are dedicated and have an excellent level of teamwork.’
‘Gerardo Ovalle gets very involved with his work. He goes inside the case, taking it on completely, and is a good strategist.‘
‘Fernando Salas has great knowledge of how to handle trials, with a practical and concrete approach to decision making.‘
Inmobiliaria San Genaro
Ab-InBev Chile (Cervecerías Chile)
- Acted for Claro Comunicaciones in a $41m telecoms dispute.
- Represented Hotel de Departamentos Temporent in a tort case.
- Acted for RMD Kwikform in an international bankruptcy dispute.
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados' litigation group is experienced in resolving civil and commercial disputes in the technology, capital markets, insurance, construction, transport and manufacturing industries; the firm also houses specialist intellectual and industrial property rights disputes capability and has both expertise and experience in product liability, misleading advertising and class action matters. Also of note, the team regularly defends administrative claims brought by government agencies. In addition to his corporate practice, team head Raúl Montero acts in major litigation; while at associate level, Luis Fuentes is experienced in multijurisdictional disputes and Patricio Rámila undertakes general civil and commercial litigation.
Red Televisiva Megavisión
- Acted for Red Televisiva Megavisión on its request before a Chilean tribunal for a recommendation regarding fees paid to collective management entities for the use of copyrighted works in television and radio.
Allende Bascuñán & Cía's compact five-strong team consistently acts before a range of courts throughout Chile in civil and commercial litigation, undertakes administrative proceedings and appeals, and has experience before the Supreme Court, particularly in relation to cases arising in the mining, financial markets and agricultural sectors. José Alberto Allende (civil and aviation litigation, arbitration, class actions and contentious administrative procedures), who was elevated to the partnership in early 2021; and labour litigation expert Andrés Garrido, co-head the practice. At senior associate level, Sergio Avilés is a specialist in procedural law, and has extensive experience in litigation and contentious administrative matters, while Rosario Besa acts in corporate and real estate litigation.
José Alberto Allende; Andrés Garrido
‘Great for the perspective with which they approach matters.‘
‘A big difference from other firms is that it is not afraid of the unknown, and they are available to fight to the end for the interests of their clients.‘
‘A great characteristic is their ability to address matters in a comprehensive manner, and the ability to litigate in different venues and matters.‘
‘This is a young and very talented team.‘
‘José Alberto Allende is not only an excellent litigator, but also a conflict resolver. For him, problems always have more than one solution, and he promotes the alternative that most benefits the client.‘
‘José Alberto Allende is a great litigator and a great negotiator. With him we have obtained top-level advice at a much more reasonable price than other offices.‘
‘José Alberto Allende is a tremendous strategist, who has the ability to adapt to the different stages of the process; he also knows the legislation in great detail.‘
‘Senior associate Sergio Avilés is an excellent lawyer.‘
Copa (Compañía Panameña de Aviación)
Constructora Ignacio Hurtado
Fedex Express Chile
Agrícola Lomas de Maitenes
- Represented Copa Airlines in its consumer law disputes in Chile.
- Acted for Air Canada in liability claims brought by beekeepers.
- Acted for Anglo American Sur, when one of its local branches was sued by a former contractor alleging the breach of a construction contract.
BACS Abogados' eight-strong dispute resolution practice is well known for highly complex litigation, particularly in relation to financial crime; and the firm's civil practice has developed as a natural add-on to its criminal law capacities. Team head Esteban Barra regularly acts in breach of contract and damages cases in the mining, fishing and construction sectors, and most recently also in healthcare and pharmaceuticals-related disputes; Miguel Schürmann, acts in civil, criminal and administrative sanctioning cases; and Alejandro Awad is also a highly regarded litigator. At senior associate level, Francisco Bassi Díaz leads the civil team.
‘Able to provide a service of the highest quality.‘
‘Great for always keeping me permanently informed about the status of the cases.‘
‘BACS’ remarkable feature is that it obtains the best results.‘
‘The professional and highly qualified work, in addition to the commitment of Esteban Barra, led us to extremely positive results.‘
‘We would not recommend other firms – on the contrary, we always recommend Esteban Barra, since he has been the only one who has given us a very high rate of successful cases.‘
‘Esteban Barra is the most prominent lawyer in Chile for health issues.‘
‘Esteban Barra is able to empathise with clients, and their requirements and particularities.‘
‘Miguel Schürmann attends to us with extreme dedication, and always looks for the best solution to our problems.‘
Compañía Aceros Pacifico
Compañía de Jesús
- Acted for construction company Dragados in relation to the implementation of a construction contract for a border pass between Chile and Argentina.
- Representing FELCH, a major non-profit foundation in Chile, which assists persons affected by serious diseases and whose treatments are very costly, in its legal petitions before the State Administration and higher courts of law.
- Represents Iván Jaksic Andrade (a historian and director in Chile of The Leland Stanford University), as claimant, in a non-contractual liability claim based on damage caused to libraries.
Founded in 2000 to specialise in large-scale and complex disputes, Cisternas y Compañía Abogados' 12-strong dispute resolution practice covers the gamut of civil, commercial, administrative and criminal litigation. The practice fields several experienced attorneys: commercial litigation expert Gonzalo Cisternas; former head of Chile's National Intelligence Agency, Luis Masferrer; corporate and civil litigator Katherine Hyde (who was promoted to partner in August 2020); and -at consultant level- Jean Pierre Matus, who designs the legal strategies for highly-complex criminal cases, and Domingo Hernández, a June 2020 hire from the Constitucional Court. Other notable consultants include Alfredo Larreta, a stock market litigation specialist, and Hugo Muñoz, who has over 25 years' litigation experience.
Gonzalo Cisternas; Katherine Hyde; Jean Pierre Matus; Luis Masferrer; Domingo Hernández; Alfredo Larreta; Hugo Muñoz
‘The experience of this multidisciplinary team stands out.‘
‘People with experience and response times that stand out from the competition, and with very good availability to address contingent issues.‘
‘The role played by partner Gonzalo Cisternas is exceptional.‘
Universidad Autónoma de Chile
National Association of Professional Football
University of Concepción Corporation
Servicio de Procesamiento de Datos en Línea
Virginio Gómez Professional Institute
Ilustre Municipalidad de Lo Barnechea
Ilustre Municipalidad de Ñuñoa
Concesión Estacionamientos Municipales de Vitacura
- Acted for the Universidad Autónoma de Chile in the litigation of motions appealing the number of years’ accreditation that the National Accreditation Commission granted to it.
- Defended the board of the National Association of Professional Football against a lawsuit filed by the former coaching team for the Chilean National Football squad, in relation to compliance with contractual terms.
- Acted for the University of Concepción Corporation in several legal proceedings, which included assistance with procedural, corporate, civil, IP and criminal law matters.
CMS Carey & Allende's six-strong litigation practice is expert in disputes involving construction and engineering, energy and natural resources, post-M&A issues, torts, IP infringement and consumer protection. The team is also sought out for its experience in bankruptcy and white-collar crime and has recently developed an insolvency sub-practice to handle reorganisations and similar matters. With over 12 years' experience of litigious and arbitral practice, Rodrigo Campero (who made partner in 2019) leads a practice group which also includes Stephan Luhrmann, appointed partner in January 2021 and who leads the regulatory litigation and environmental areas.
‘Excellent attention, knowledge and support.‘
‘Excellent human and professional qualities.‘
‘Rodrigo Campero is a good litigator, who is attentive in his approach and ingenious for judicial defence strategy.‘
‘Rodrigo Campero is a great litigant.‘
Agrícola Pacífico Sur
ATC Sitios de Chile
Empresa de Transporte de Pasajeros Metro
Universidad San Sebastián
Sociedad Eléctricas de Medellín
Agrícola Santa Irene
- Defended Virbac-Centrovet against infringement and patent-nullity litigation brought by Intervet, alleging the illegal sale of a product that was supposedly produced using a product patented by the claimant.
- Acted for Empresa de Transporte de Pasajeros Metro in a tort action against 214 former employees, who misused the workers’ compensation system.
- Represented Agrícola Santa Irene in its suit against MIP Agro (a local provider of agriculture products) for damages arising from the application of its product OLITEC, which affected several hectares of citrus plantations.
Contreras Velozo's 12-member dispute resolution practice is best known for the experience of name partners Óscar Contreras and Francisco Velozo. Contreras heads the firm's civil litigation and commercial arbitration dispute resolution area, for which he is highly regarded, as well as taking the lead on commercial law matters, antitrust and competition; Velozo, in turn, leads the firm's criminal litigation practice, and is experienced in economic criminal cases, insolvencies and IP rights infringement. Also key to the team: Alvaro Awad co-heads the commercial litigation and domestic / international arbitration practices; while experienced associate Natalia Diuana is noted for complex financial-crime litigation.
Óscar Contreras; Francisco Velozo
‘A professional and dedicated team with extensive experience.‘
‘Competent and professional partners and associates, with strong knowledge of the necessary legal processes during litigation.‘
‘Very good teamwork, with very good ability to analyse the matter in dispute, and great strength during negotiations with counterparts, particularly partner Óscar Contreras.‘
Sanofi-Aventis de Chile
Caterpillar Financial Services
Caterpillar Leasing Chile
Interamerican Investment Company
International Finance Corporation
Centro Nacional de Despacho de Carga
Empresa Servicios Sanitarios de Los Lagos
Universidad del Pacífico
Fernando Baldrich y Compañía
Always On Servicios Digitales
- Representing Inter-American Development Bank and BID Investment in the collection of several debts from Chile Telecom.
- Acted for Aguas Cordillera in a liquidated damages claim against Municipalidad de Lo Barnechea, which concerned the breach of a real estate swap agreement originating from the 1990s.
- Defended Telefónica Móviles Chile against a consumer class action filed by the National Consumer Service (SERNAC) for the alleged interruption of mobile telephone services, text messages and internet in 2017 in several boroughs of Futaleufú.
Highly focused on civil, commercial, constitutional and administrative litigation proceedings, Correa Squella fields several disputes' lawyers specialised in contracts, torts and commercial and corporate law, as well as class actions; with the 'first-class' practice demonstrating specific sector experience in telecoms, construction and finance. Juan Ignacio Correa has a strong name in the market for his knowledge of the regulated markets and competition matters; while Jorge Sepúlveda (a partner since 2019) has a litigation focus that includes civil, commercial and competition matters. At associate level, Tamara De Beer's experience includes assisting with the highly publicised Cascadas case.
Juan Ignacio Correa; Jorge Sepúlveda
‘Teamwork is key, and this was evidenced by the comprehensive advice that Correa Squella’s office has provided me to date.‘
‘A truly outstanding and highly-qualified team that complements itself through different areas of law, ensuring global advice that otherwise leaves the client absolutely satisfied with the result obtained.‘
‘The constant dedication and concern of the entire team to cover all the client’s needs in the different areas required are undoubtedly what mark out the firm, as well as the excellence of its professionals.‘
‘It has been a comfort to place trust in Correa Squella, since the judicial processes and management have been carried out in an outstanding and exemplary manner, both in the technical and legal aspects, as well as the human side.‘
‘Correa Squella is a first-class, versatile firm that perfectly understands our needs, and provides different solutions to achieve a good result.’
‘They have a wide level of knowledge of the procedures and also of the courts and tribunals.‘
‘The plus is partner Jorge Sepúlveda, a first-rate lawyer who at all times has demonstrated his great professionalism and technical capacity in judicial and corporate matters.‘
‘Jorge Sepúlveda is a professional with solid knowledge, who demonstrates at all times his unwavering interest in achieving a favourable result, seeking and achieving this through different procedural strategies. He also stands out for his brilliant performance both in the presentation of briefs, as well as in appeals before the Supreme Court.‘
Minera Los Pelambres
Cousiño Macul Group
Compañía Minera Paguanta
Minera Santa Fe
- Acted for AFP Capital in a $55m lawsuit against a retail company and its executives.
- Acted for Telefónica in a lawsuit against a telephonycompany, which directed artificial and fraudulent traffic to increase Telefónica’s network accessing fees.
- Represented AFP Capital in a $10m claim against the controller and executives of Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile.
Dentons Larrain Rencoret
Dentons Larrain Rencoret's dispute resolution team is experienced in environmental issues, administrative law, corporate matters, insurance recovery and construction; and is also active in relation to consumer law, debt collection and litigation regarding energy matters. Pauline Chiffelle, who has vast litigation experience, and 'outstanding' senior associate Marcelo Alarcón (civil and commercial matters, and infrastructure and energy project-related disputes) co-lead the practice, which also includes Gonzalo Nieto, who has disputes experience regarding environmental, electricity, mining, civil law and competition issues; and Karlfranz Koehler, whose broad practice includes civil, commercial and labour litigation. Senior associate Ignacio Vargas is also noted for infrastructure and construction disputes.
Pauline Chiffelle; Marcelo Alarcón
‘The lawyers that make up the conflict resolution team stand out for their speed and availability, as well as the excellent quality of their legal advice.‘
‘The team is very well prepared to face highly complex litigation, with an accurate global vision of the conflict.‘
‘They are able to foresee the movements of counterparts and anticipate a judicial resolution, and they are very honest about what they consider possible to sue for (and recover).‘
‘Great for availability to the client and attention to detail.‘
‘Dentons has many areas, and one of the most prominent is its litigation practice. The strength of Dentons is that it manages to provide a comprehensive view of disputes thanks to its different areas of expertise.‘
‘Compared to other firms of a similar size, Dentons’ partners and senior associates provide personalised and quality attention.‘
‘The Dentons team provides very good advice, both from a strategic point of view on how to deal with litigation, as well as on the development of the process itself.‘
‘Senior associate Marcelo Alarcón is outstanding, as he is concerned about generating a true relationship of trust with clients and to be part of a solid team that encourages critical thinking and deep analysis of the different possible scenarios within a conflict.‘
Compañía Minera Nevada
Metso Outotec Chile
Compañía Minera Zaldívar
RMC Engineering Solutions
British Columbia Securities Commission
- Defended agrochemical-products manufacturer, Anasac Chile, against a special proceeding on consumer law violations and civil liability.
- Acted for RMC Engineering Solutions (as plaintiff) in a debt collection action against its former partner in a joint venture, which was created to provide services to global copper company Codelco.
- Represented Metso, a global provider of mining services and equipment, in an unlawful competition and damages case filed against competitor AYCA.
Well-known for its focus on the projects sector, the 10-strong team at boutique practice Fleischmann & León Abogados is regularly sought out for disputes in relation to infrastructure, construction, public works and mining concessions. Name partners Hernán Fleischmann Chadwick and Juan Ignacio León Lira recently acted for Echeverría Izquierdo Ingenería y Construcción in a $40m-plus cost overrun claim against the State of Chile, which concerned the construction of the Rancagua Regional Hospital. Also key to the practice is civil and commercial litigation, insurance and arbitration specialist Paulo Román Reyes, whose 'legal-technical skills, excellence and availability are highly appreciated'.
Hernán Fleischmann Chadwick; Juan Ignacio León Lira; Paulo Román Reyes
‘The attorneys I work with have in-depth knowledge of their matters, and their work is impeccable and of the highest quality.‘
‘They always come up with solutions that are creative.‘
‘The team has great judgement and analytical skills; it also arrives at logical conclusions from the very beginning.‘
‘They analyse and evaluate the positive and negative aspects in order to prepare our defence in such a manner that benefits our side and interests. This quality is extremely important, because the team is able to anticipate and deliver an excellent defence.‘
‘Great communication skills – the team showed great persuasiveness before the court, with an effective defence and convincing arguments that reflected the situation.‘
‘Great use of technology in their research, which allowed them to deliver an impeccable defence according to the planned strategy.‘
‘Paulo Román Reyes’ keen and creative skills tilted the field in our favour. His logical thinking and creative solutions gave us sufficient reassurance to withstand the judicial process until the very end.‘
‘Paulo Román Reyes is a specialist in civil litigation and arbitration, with a strong vocation in construction law – his legal-technical skills, excellence and availability are highly appreciated.‘
Echeverría Izquierdo Ingenería y Construcción
Icafal Ingenería y Construcción
Constructora Tara Compu
- Acted for Echeverría Izquierdo Ingenería y Construcción in a claim for cost overruns of over $40m against the State of Chile, in relation to the construction of the Rancagua Regional Hospital.
- Acted for Icafal Ingenería y Construcción in a claim for cost overruns against the State of Chile for the construction of the Chaitén Airport.
- Acted for Unión Española in a claim against the municipality of Independencia for damages, which concerned the revocation of a construction permit for a real estate project comprising a sports city.
Garrigues Chile's caseload covers a wide variety of disputes, with the 'specialised' five-strong team recently involved in significant corporate conflicts, construction and real estate litigation, and consumer protection class actions, along with insurance disputes, tax matters and administrative litigation. With approximately 30 years' experience in dispute resolution, the practice is led by the 'great' Mónica van der Schraft, whose experience includes representing clients in disputes involving mining, construction, insurance, antitrust and corporate-related issues. Principal associate Cristóbal Sarralde is an expert in litigation involving civil and commercial issues, while senior associate José Joaquín Verdugo specialises in civil lawsuits.
Mónica van der Schraft
‘Excellent communication and involvement in each case, with constant monitoring and information.‘
‘They give very clear and precise guidelines on how to follow and face disputes.‘
‘The Garrigues litigation team provides very high-quality advice.‘
‘Great for their response times, with lawyers who are specialised in different matters, facilitating the design and construction of defences that cover all possible fronts.‘
‘The team helped us obtain very positive results in highly complex matters.‘
‘Stands out above other firms for the depth and meticulousness of their written presentations, as well as their adoption of different defence strategies, which have substantially improved the company’s position.‘
‘Mónica van der Schraft is great for her experience and case management skills at court level.‘
‘Especially noteworthy is the work and advice provided by principal associate Cristóbal Sarralde and his team, as they have done an outstanding job, and amply demonstrated that they have a high level of knowledge and mastery over matters, including the processing of cases.‘
Grasty Quintana Majlis & Cia.'s seven-member civil and commercial litigation and arbitration practice is sought out for its expertise in bankruptcy, contractual claims, torts and energy-related disputes, among other areas. The firm also recently entered into an association with Clyde & Co LLP, leading to the practice being increasingly involved in insurance-related disputes. The key advisers are Jorge Meneses, head of the dispute resolution and public law department, and litigation consultant Marcelo Guerrero, who is an expert in civil law, constitutional law and procedural matters. Founding partner Arturo Majlis also plays a crucial role in this department, as do senior consultant Jorge Burgos (former Chilean Ambassador to Ecuador), senior associate Andrés Cabello and associate Francisco Jiménez.
Arturo Majlis; Jorge Meneses; Marcelo Guerrero
‘A very good balance in its team, with a mix of very senior professionals and hungry young associates.‘
‘The team has a very international focus and is keen to embrace opportunities across different sectors in and out of Chile. Litigation related to commercial arbitration is a particular focus.‘
‘This legal practice, during and in response to the pandemic, admirably and efficiently enacted specific emergency response efforts and ensured that, despite unknown conditions threatening the integrity of the case, steps were put in place to safeguard it.‘
‘The team is committed, focused and implements strategic goals.‘
‘Throughout 2020 and at the beginning of 2021, the legal practice took the necessary measures and actions to ensure a consistent client-legal team interface during the pandemic.‘
‘Arturo Majlis and Jorge Meneses are unwaveringly committed and ethical professionals, who are permanently focused on making the best decisions within the hardest of circumstances.‘
‘Arturo Majlis is one of the most experienced practitioners in the market – very tough but also very commercial.‘
‘Jorge Meneses is an up-and-coming partner who works tremendously hard.‘
Feller Rate (Clasificadora de Riesgo)
PwC Consultores Auditores
Sociedad Contractual Minera Tres Valles
Andrés Pérez Cruz
Williamson Balfour Motors
Nueva Inmobiliaria Korlaet
Inversiones Mar Adentro
Orion Seguros Generales
Sociedad Inversiones y Rentas Quimán
Nike de Chile
Luis Felipe Cubillos
Inversiones Punta Blanca
Francisco Izcue Elgart
- Represented PricewaterhouseCoopers Chile in its defence against the administrative charges made by the Chilean Securities Superintendence for its role in the Cascadas case.
- Represented Feller Rate Clasificadora De Riesgo, a rating agency, in relation to its alleged role in the La Araucana case.
- Defended Andrés Pérez Cru against a judicial proceeding filed by Sociedad Legal Minera Las Brujas to obtain the constitution of a land easement for mining purposes.
With extensive litigation and arbitration experience, Larrain y Asociados Abogados' nine-member practice is consistently involved in major commercial, civil, labour, bankruptcy, taxation and administrative disputes. The team is particularly focused on advising clients from sectors such as construction, mining, energy and public works, as well as undertaking cases with a constitutional aspect and having developed specific consumer disputes expertise. The team is led by highly experienced partners José Pedro Baraona (litigation) and Carlos Aravena (arbitration); also integral to the practice group, Pedro Zelaya is an insurance and litigation partner and Víctor Manuel Avilés, an energy and tax lawyer who advises on litigation. Other key members include senior associates Isabel Palacios, César Vásquez and Claudio Torres, along with associate Macarena Gonzalez.
José Pedro Baraona; Carlos Aravena
‘Very well developed lawyers with great ability – far superior to other firms.‘
‘Great client support and seriousness in handling issues.‘
‘Their ability to learn about underlying technical subjects, knowledge of laws and sectoral norms are remarkable.‘
‘Good capacity for innovation when implementing the legal strategy.‘
‘Supported clients in various fields of work, with a shared vision of the solution and very good availability – and they listen to the client.‘
‘A very good firm with extensive knowledge, good contacts and skillful in reaching solutions.‘
‘Permanent and timely feedback on the case, with a good support team in various legal matters.‘
Consorcio Aeródromo de Chiloé
Minera Altos de Punitaqui
Condominio Parque Monasterio
San Sebastian Inmobiliaria
Sistema de Transmisión del Sur
- Defended Codelco, the biggest copper company in the world, against a claim involving mining easements.
- Represented Consorcio Aeródromo de Chiloé in a lawsuit against the State of Chile, which involved cost overruns during the construction of an airport.
- Acted for Grupo SAESA in judicial proceedings against the National Consumer Service (SERNAC), which related to supply disruptions caused by a period of bad weather during the winter of 2017.
Molina Ríos Abogados
Molina Ríos Abogados' nine-strong disputes practice is particularly noted for litigation involving construction and public works concessions for airports, wind and solar farms, highways, reservoirs, gas pipelines, railway construction and public buildings; and it is additionally noted for disputes concerning civil liability insurance, real estate, urbanism, medical liabilities and bankruptcy. Litigation head and name partner Carlos Molina ('great strategist') has a strong reputation for litigation involving civil and commercial law, construction, insurance, projects and finance. Providing notable support are: litigation, arbitration and mediation specialist Felipe Correa; Rachid Ruiz, who has a strong litigation track record; and experienced associate Benjamín Reutter.
‘The service is very good – no doubt about it.‘
‘They always offer a good solution, with excellent knowledge of the facts and deep preparation.‘
‘Great for availability and extensive knowledge.‘
‘Carlos Molina is an expert attorney in construction, infrastructure and engineering matters. In addition, he is a great strategist for these kind of conflicts, which makes him quite a unique lawyer.‘
‘Felipe Correa is a very good young lawyer, who gives clear advice and maintains his calm in the most complicated situations. I predict a great future for him.‘
Grupo San Jose
- Assisted a consortium (including Acciona) in relation to a claim for extra costs and damages from the Health Ministry.
- Represented OHL Construction Company in its pursuit of a highway construction contract’s fulfilment.
- Defended Turner International in the civil courts against Box Construction, which claims a debt for services provided for the new Turner LatAm broadcasting building in Chile.
Rivadeneira Colombara Zegers
Rivadeneira Colombara Zegers' sizeable team specialises in civil, commercial, criminal and economic litigation, including pre-trial negotiations, trial documentation, summary judgment motions, appeals and enforcement proceedings (including overseas appeals). The firm's 'always outstanding' partner group comprises national and international litigation specialist Ciro Colombara; expert criminal litigator Rodrigo Zegers Reyes, a former attorney for the National Defence Council; civil litigation and labour law specialist Ramón Domínguez; and highly experienced litigator Ignacio Rivadeneira. Focusing predominantly on civil, commercial and white-collar litigation, public law and contentious administrative proceedings, along with ADR, complex-litigation director Aldo Díaz provides key support.
Ignacio Rivadeneira; Ciro Colombara; Rodrigo Zegers Reyes; Ramón Domínguez
‘They have complete knowledge of the regulations and very good contacts.‘
‘They are highly respected for their work, both nationally and internationally, and they always deliver innovative and viable solutions.‘
‘They always take another look at the legal problems, so as to anticipate future risks and prevent problems.‘
‘The speed with which they resolve issues is great, as is the political handling they have of certain matters.‘
‘They are all very friendly, professional and empathetic – a great firm of reference.‘
‘Highly considerate in their handling of clients.‘
‘These lawyers are always outstanding.‘
‘Ciro Colombara and director Aldo Díaz know the regulations backwards, and have original, effective and viable ideas.‘
Recoleta City Hall
Servicios Generales Maper
Empresa de Transporte de Pasajeros Metro
Minera Los Pelambres
- Acted for liquidator Carlos Parada in relation to the liquidation process for the Universidad del Pacífico.
- Acted for Recoleta City Hall in litigation that involved criminal issues, as well as civil and administrative disputes.
- Acted for ProNova in relation to an alleged fraudulent exclusion from a public procurement process concerning the implementation of a clinical records system.
Chilean-member firm of both the Multilaw and World Law Group international networks, Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr fields a litigation practice that demonstrates 'extensive knowledge of procedural matters' and which acts in cases ranging from construction and real estate-related claims to unfair competition, breach of contract, torts, consumer protection and administrative law. Civil law expert Juan Carlos Dörr Bulnes leads the six-strong practice group, which includes key disputes associate Juan Pablo Morales; clients identify the pair as 'outstanding litigants'.
Juan Carlos Dörr Bulnes
‘The litigation team possesses many skills that are appropriate for litigation.‘
‘In addition to a deep knowledge of substantial law, they have extensive knowledge of procedural matters, which is very useful when setting the appropriate strategy.‘
‘Both Juan Carlos Dörr Bulnes and associate Juan Pablo Morales are outstanding litigants. In addition to their undoubted strengths in disputes, both lawyers are very available.‘
‘Very good in terms of innovation and technological advances.‘
ENEL Generación Chile
Agrícola Valle Nuevo
Inmobiliaria Mall Viña del Mar
Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile
BCI Seguros Generales
Agrícola Funghi Chile
Sociedad Áridos y Pétreos del Maipo
Desarrollo de Tecnologías y Sistemas
- Acted for ENEL Generación Chile, as plaintiff, in a claim against the Municipality of Coronel and its mayor for tortious damages, further to the illegal closure of an ash landfill.
- Acted for María de la Paz Baraona in a legal action against Compañía General de Electricidad for damages related to historic wildfires, which destroyed over 600 hectares of agricultural land.
- Acted for Cintac in three intertwined lawsuits for breach of contract, unfair competition and violation of trade secrets.
Arteaga Gorziglia & Cia Abogados
Arteaga Gorziglia & Cia Abogados' 'excellent' five-member litigation and dispute resolution practice is particularly active in relation to regulated areas, such as energy, urbanisation and antitrust, and frequently finds itself acting for clients before the environmental tribunals and the Committee of Ministers for environmental matters. A partner since 2018, 'extremely intelligent' team leader María Fernanda Brahm M is a regulated industry specialist, particularly in relation to energy matters and highly-technical, electricity-law dispute resolution; senior associate Andrés Del Real is an arbitration and litigation expert; and associate Santiago Portaluppi specialises in environmental and constitutional disputes.
María Fernanda Brahm M
‘A legal team with a strategic look, up-to-date theoretical knowledge, practical experience and understanding of the specific case.‘
‘Fully understands complex technical issues in order to give the most accurate answer to the specific need of the dispute in question.‘
‘Its knowledge of contentious administrative procedures is particularly noteworthy, especially regarding energy regulation.‘
‘An excellent work team that fully responds to clients’ requirements.‘
‘Great professional honesty.‘
‘Gives realistic advice to the client.‘
‘A cohesive and available team that fully responds to clients’ requirements.‘
‘María Fernanda Brahm M is an extremely intelligent person with the ability to seek solutions to complex regulatory problems.‘
- Defended Walmart before the Environmental Tribunal against four claims, that sought to invalidate the Environmental Qualification Resolution given by Chile’s Environmental Evaluation Service, approving the construction of the company’s El Peñón distribution centre.
- Assisted SunCo with over 15 claims initiated before the Superintendency of Electricity and Fuels in 2020 and concerning connection procedures for several solar and wind power plants.
- Acted for Generadora Metropolitana before the Panel of Experts of the General Electric Services Law, as an interested party, in a power balance discrepancy claim by three power plants against the National Electricity Coordinator.
Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn
Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn fields a six-strong team that undertakes civil and commercial litigation primarily involving shareholders, real estate, land use, construction, investment funds and family businesses. In addition to his highly regarded competition-practice credentials, team head Juan Enrique Coeymans focuses on litigation and arbitration, and civil and commercial law, with key support coming from disputes-dedicated associate María José Berger. The firm notably strengthened the team in July 2020 with the hired of civil and commercial disputes specialist María José Larraín - the firm's first female partner - from former disputes boutique Vial Larraín Abogados.
Juan Enrique Coeymans
CLAS Ingeniería Eléctrica e Inversiones
Viña Luis Felipe Edwards Inmobiliaria Illahuapi
American Tower Corporation
Forum Servicios Financieros Buscalibre
Mortalena y Cía
Farmacias Cruz Verde
- Represented Cruz Verde in a settlement agreed with Chilean consumer protection agency SERNAC, which related to a class action for antitrust violations.
- Represented American Tower Corporation (ATC) in two constitutional actions filed against ATC and the Puchuncaví Municipality by a group of neighbours in opposition to an ATC infrastructure project.
- Represented Viña Luis Felipe Edwards, one of Chile’s largest Chilean exporting wineries, in a large land-recovery action.
Cáceres y Cáceres is a boutique law firm with over two decades' experience in civil and commercial dispute resolution. The 'solid and experienced team' is particularly focused on litigation involving construction, audit firms, investment funds, retailers and life sciences. The principal names to note are: longstanding contentious specialist Ziad Manzur, who has particular expertise in disputes regarding commercial contracts; commercial damages and liability specialist Carlos Cáceres Burgos; Héctor Cáceres Contador , who handles commercial contract claims and matters involving public law and/or family law; and Cristóbal Jara Nilsson, a contractual disputes, IP and public law expert, who joined from Instituto Nacional de Propiedad Industrial (INAPI), in February 2020.
Ziad Manzur; Héctor Cáceres Contador; Carlos Cáceres Burgos; Cristóbal Jara Nilsson
‘This solid and experienced team is exclusively dedicated to the practice of litigation and arbitration.‘
‘Significant knowledge and experience of disputes; they know the procedures very well and are very powerful strategists.‘
‘The main strength lies in their detailed and complete understanding of each case and its facts – they do this in a unique way that I have not seen in other legal teams. Along with this, they also seek to team up, when necessary, with specialists in each relevant area of law.‘
‘Detailed knowledge of clients’ issues with ingenious solutions and good follow-up on cases.‘
‘Very loyal and committed to the client.‘
‘A group of elite lawyers who have a deep understanding of their area of expertise, and are always attentive to the changing needs of clients.’
‘The commitment of the firm’s lawyers to each case is the most notable and outstanding feature; they take cases extremely seriously and know the problems in detail.‘
‘Ziad Manzur is accessible, with excellent availablity, knowledge and strategic capacity; he is also easy to understand and proactive.‘
DLA Piper Chile has broad experience in dispute resolution (both litigation and arbitration), consistently representing Chilean and foreign clients in high-profile cases; the team’s litigious experience is primarily in commercial and civil judicial proceedings along with the defence of constitutional and regulated rights. At counsel level, Macarena Iturra, has broad litigation and arbitration experience -particularly regarding civil and commercial issues- and heads up the dispute resolution practice, while Ignacio Schwerter, in turn, leads the white-collar practice area. Former counsel and co-head of the arbitration and litigation team, Ricardo A López moved to NLD Abogados as a partner in February 2021.
Antraco Chemie Handelsges
Antarctic Sea Fisheries
Kenneth Arthur Clark
Kompanie Ultramar Sievers
- Acted for BASF Chile in a claim involving an alleged breach of contract and additional contractual liability.
- Assisted Antarctic Sea Fisheries with several proceedings before specialised tax and customs courts, which concerned alleged infringements of customs and tax provisions.
- Acted for Needish in two class actions involving an alleged infringement of consumer law.
FerradaNehme's nine-strong complex litigation practice has its origins in the firm's expertise in antitrust/competition and economic regulation issues; unsurprisingly, the 'fully available' team has been most active, recently, in disputes involving consumer law, environmental issues, telecoms, civil law and unfair competition. The 'dedicated' group is managed by civil, commercial, and economic litigation expert Nicolás Ubilla (a partner since 2018), and competition law and regulatory specialist Nicole Nehme. Litigation practice group director Marcela Rodríguez is a civil, commercial and consumer litigation expert, while 'excellent negotiator' Pablo Cornejo is the senior associate to note.
Nicole Nehme; Nicolás Ubilla
‘Always available to resolve concerns.‘
‘They are friendly, direct, professional lawyers and always ready to guide.‘
‘This team will do everything possible to find a solution that is as fast and economical as possible; and they ensure that their clients do not incur unnecessary expenses, and have a team that is well prepared to negotiate and reach agreements.‘
‘When we compare it with other firms, we feel that we are really working with a team that cares about its client more than its own income.
‘The collaboration with FerradaNehme is extraordinary. They are fully available to assist us and dedicated to each case; and by having specialists in various areas, when filing a dispute we know that all aspects were considered and evaluated.‘
‘As professionals, they are at the highest level of knowledge and skills, but when complemented with their soft relationship skills they make everything flow to perfection.‘
‘The year 2020 was complex for everyone, but the team’s quality of communication was not affected, and we maintained excellent contact through the various communication platforms.‘
‘Senior associate Pablo Cornejo is an excellent negotiator.‘
Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile
Corporación de Fomento de la Producción
Televisión Nacional de Chile
- Defended VTR Comunicaciones against a class action lawsuit brought by SERNAC, which was based on the alleged violation of the Consumer Protection Act.
- Defended Walmart against three class actions, which sought to compensate consumers who suffered damages because of the infringement of competition rules.
- Acted for Televisión Nacional de Chile and Canal 13 in relation to an international music festival concession.
Gandarillas, Montt, Del Río & Krause
Exclusively focused on the resolution of conflicts, Gandarillas, Montt, Del Río & Krause's team of litigants includes three name partners: Cristián Gandarillas, who has extensive experience in dispute resolution involving civil and commercial matters, bankruptcies and company restructuring procedures; Paulo Montt (arbitration and civil, commercial, regulatory and antitrust litigation); and Gabriel del Río, who has extensive experience in civil, commercial, criminal and administrative-sanctioning litigation, as well as foreign and domestic arbitration.
Cristián Gandarillas; Paulo Montt; Gabriel del Río
González & Rioseco
The seven-strong group at González & Rioseco is particularly noted for media disputes, including libel suits and torts involving major newspapers. The team's experience also includes several cases regarding 'right to be forgotten' and freedom of expression issues; overall, in addition to complex civil and commercial litigation, the practice focuses on arbitration. Highly regarded, Francisco González has over thirty years' experience in litigation, and domestic and international arbitration, while his fellow name partner Andrés Rioseco has widely respected antitrust expertise and is experienced in managing administrative proceedings, relationships with regulators, and complaints before specialised courts. Associates Thomas Bullemore and Catalina Escobar provide key, second-line support.
Francisco González; Andrés Rioseco
‘A boutique team that is highly specialised in complex litigation, with excellent results on its record.‘
‘The legal knowledge is outstanding, they know the jurisprudence very well, and are up to date with the most relevant judgments in the country.‘
‘They have a novel way of approaching conflicts, always trying to reach beneficial arrangements for the parties.‘
‘A good and very energetic team with solid training and knowledge.‘
‘The level of training, both academic and practical, is very good.‘
‘Great for the ability to write reports in legal English (which is not the same as speaking English), and present detailed explanations of cases with high levels of specialisation.‘
‘Andrés Rioseco is a very good partner, who is very knowledgeable and very professional.‘
‘Andrés Rioseco is an excellent litigator who is highly admired by his peers, and his approach to problems is very effective.‘
Entel PCS Telecomunicaciones
Televisión Nacional de Chile
Banco de Chile
Empresa Portuaria de Antofagasta
Moller y Pérez Cotapos
Constructora Larraín Domínguez
- Defended Cermaq Chile against a claim alleging damages suffered as a result of the sale of Cultivos Marinos Chiloe, a company engaged in the production and commercialisation of salmon.
- Acted for Colbún in relation to two contracts for the installation and maintenance of a wind farm project.
- Defended Tubos y Plasticos Tigre-Ads de Chile against a claim of non-compliance of security duties at its facilities (in relation to the spread of a fire).
Harasic Medina & Dal Pozzo
Harasic Medina & Dal Pozzo is widely respected for its experience in civil and criminal litigation. Representative disputes have included litigation in the mining, transportation and retail sectors, as well as claims involving heavily regulated markets, such as banking and finance, electricity and telecoms. The firm also has robust practices in relation to competition, administrative procedures, class actions and internal investigations. Among the firm's experienced specialists are civil, criminal, constitutional, competition and administrative disputes expert Davor Harasic; Ivan Harasic (civil, commercial, criminal and competition cases); and criminal litigators Gonzalo Medina and Sebastián Dal Pozzo.
Acting for clients from a wide range of sectors (including finance, natural resources, pharmaceuticals, infrastructure, construction, energy and automotive), Jara del Favero Abogados' five-strong group is regularly sought out for civil and commercial litigation, ADR, administrative disputes, and competition / antitrust litigation (both domestic and international). A partner since 2006, Manuel Jimenez heads the firm's ADR, litigation, arbitration and competition / antitrust practices. Key support is provided by practice director Manuel Bernet, who specializes in ADR, mediation, arbitration, competition law and IP; Ramón Jara C (national and international dispute resolution); and Pablo Alarcón (civil, commercial and labour litigation).
General Electric International
Hoteles de Chile
International Schools Partnership
Time for Fun
Sun Dreams International
Inversiones San Silvestre
- Acted for Emaresa in a dispute against major lithium producer Albemarle for non-payment for geomembranes and geotextiles (used for the construction of lithium extraction pits).
- Acted for Servicios en Accionamiento y Control Automático in cross-suits in different courts and proceedings against Industrial Support Company, including unfair competition, trade mark and domain-name registration, and criminal matters.
- Represented GE Grid Solutions Chile in a conflict with a Spanish company that concerned an infrastructure project in the north of Chile.
Specialised in dispute resolution and arbitration, 'outstanding' boutique firm Lama Abogados fields experts in regulated industries such as telecoms, insurance, environment and IT. 'Always available to resolve any matter', founding partner Nicolás Lama heads up a 12-strong team which has both a track record and expertise handling litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and insolvency and restructuring; he himself has focused on civil and commercial litigation, along with bankruptcy cases, for approximately 20 years. Joaquín Sánchez is the key associate and is frequently responsible for implementing strategy designed by Lama, 'which makes them a tremendous team'.
‘Their work is really very good.‘
‘The team is so well trained that we don’t need to use other firms.‘
‘The work of Lama Abogados is outstanding for the way in which it approaches each case, since they do so having reviewed the entire background completely, thereby preparing the best strategy and obtaining the result desired by the client.‘
‘One of the main strengths of Lama Abogados, in addition to its outstanding work, is the permanent and direct contact that Nicolás Lama, the main partner of the firm, maintains with the client, both in the initial stage of designing the strategy of the case, as well as during all later stages. Compared to other firms that I have worked with, I consider Lama Abogados to be the best.‘
‘Nicolás Lama is always available to resolve any matter.‘
‘Nicolás Lama’s work is excellent, and his strategy and vision of the business are very good.‘
‘Nicolás Lama is very clear in explaining the strategy that will be applied to the case, and how it will be executed.‘
‘Associate Joaquín Sánchez is in charge of executing the strategy designed by Nicolás Lama, which makes them a tremendous team, along with the rest of the associates.‘
Mostos del Pacifico
Equitas Management Partners
- Represented Parque Arenas in a breach of contract case against Alto Maipo.
- Represented OHL Servicios-Ingesan in a claim against Municipalidad de Chillán for breach of contract.
- Represented Inmobiliaria Santander in four lawsuits that concerned the breach of lease contracts.
Loy Letelier Campora
Six-strong micro-boutique Loy Letelier Campora fields a dispute resolution practice that is active across various significant industries, including mining, energy, engineering/construction, finance, pharmaceuticals, food and transport. Practice co-heads Francesco Campora and Juan Pablo Letelier (formerly a founding partner at Ovalle, Ugarte & Letelier) are specialists in both litigation and arbitration.
Francesco Campora; Juan Pablo Letelier
Ortiz González Luarte Abogados
Ortiz González Luarte Abogados' three-member disputes group covers both civil law disputes and white-collar litigation. It is particularly experienced in high-profile lawsuits, and has sector expertise in banking, real estate and healthcare (among other areas); the group also frequently acts in the defence of private individuals in fraud cases, while recent experience includes high-level insolvency and restructuring-related litigation. Name partner Rodrigo Ortiz Krause heads the dispute resolution group, which includes associate attorneys Gabriela Contreras and Francisco Galaz.
Rodrigo Ortiz Krause
‘Great for the partners’ availability.‘
‘The team demonstrates strong technical knowledge and excellent client service, both in the service itself and the speed and accuracy of the responses.‘
‘Strong concern for the client’s needs.‘
‘Rodrigo Ortiz Krause is an outstanding partner.‘
‘Rodrigo Ortiz Krause has solid experience.’
‘Associate attorney Francisco Galaz is a serious professional.‘
Banco Itaú Corpbanca
Banco de Crédito e Inversiones
Grupo Eulen Chile
Fresenius Medical Care
María Loreto Ried U
- Acted for Banco de Crédito e Inversiones and other creditors in a corporate investigation and criminal complaint against top executives, board members and main shareholders of Clinica del Maule.
- Acted for E2E in a series of debt-collection actions against a subsidiary of Grupo Armas, a large construction consortium.
- Representing EBCO Lineas in a construction contract dispute against General Electric’s local subsidiary.
PAGBAM Schwencke Chile
Following the December 2020 departure of former partner, Andrés Sepúlveda to establish his own firm, recently promoted counsel Gustavo Delgado, an administrative and public law disputes specialist, now heads the three-member litigation practice at the former Schwencke & Cía (now known as PAGBAM Schwencke Chile following its November 2020 tie-up with Argentine full-service heavyweight Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen). Delgado has litigation experience in relation to projects, construction, public law, contracts, tort and securities; support comes from Sebastian Ruiseñor, a key associate in the dispute resolution, antitrust and public law practices.
‘The whole team is very willing to collaborate and they have specialists in different areas.‘
‘We like how they communicate and the attitude of the team is very good.‘
‘Great experts, who are very friendly, committed and flexible about meeting times and schedules.‘
Empresa Nacional de Energía Enex
Moeckel & Weil
- Defended CODELCO against contract breach claims brought by INDAK.
- Defended CODELCO against contract breach claims brought by DIIT.
- Represented Kantar IBOPE Media in contractual breach litigation against La Red broadcasting (local branch of Albavision Broadcasting Group).
Parraguez & Marín
With offices in Santiago and Antofagasta, Parraguez & Marín's sizeable 19-strong department has a substantial track record in managing disputes that involve different areas of law or are of national/public relevance; its expertise particularly includes mining, construction and media-related disputes. The firm houses several expert disputes' practitioners, namely: Gustavo Parraguez (25 years-plus experience in litigation, arbitration and ADR); Rodrigo Marín (labour law litigation, healthcare law and administrative sanctions); Francisco del Río (commercial, company and construction disputes); mining specialist José Monrroy; and Josefina Trujillo (arbitration, dispute resolution and ADR). At associate level, Javiera Mena specialises in litigation and arbitration, and Alberto Rodríguez re-joined from Abogabir Miranda Abogados in October 2020.
Gustavo Parraguez; Rodrigo Marín; Francisco del Río; José Monrroy; Josefina Trujillo
‘A good team with good litigants.‘
‘They go into detail and do a lot of administrative work, such as contacting witnesses, which saves us a lot of time and makes everything easier.‘
‘Great for the clarity of their concepts, availability, frankness and sincerity.‘
‘A team that is very oriented towards understanding clients’ needs, with permanent support – they are really concerned about our success.‘
‘Very good professional qualities and mastery of the issues.‘
‘They have an excellent reputation for litigation, which makes them worthy of our admiration and professional respect.‘
‘The lawyers become very involved in the cases they act in, including legal, personal and emotional points of view.‘
‘Francisco del Río is a great litigator. We have a relationship of trust with him which makes working with him very easy.‘
Principal Financial Group
Red Televisiva Megavisión
Sociedad Contractual Minera El Abra
Minera Las Cenizas
- Representing the Vergara Lobos family in a tort lawsuit against the Republic of Chile for negligent acts committed by its branches, particularly by the Regional Ministerial Secretariat of Health of the Metropolitan Region.
- Defended Minera Escondida against a civil action that alleged breaches of a construction contract.
- Acted for the Valentini Rojas family in relation to personal injury-related civil and criminal claims.
Chilean law firm Riquelme, Silva & Fuentes was launched in April 2021 by three former Reymond & Cía partners, namely Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez, Camilo Silva Correa and Diego Fuentes González - but without Alfonso Reymond Larraín. Riquelme Yáñez is highly focused on the resolution of construction and concessions disputes involving the Chilean Treasury; Silva Correa is active in construction litigation that relates to both public and private works; and Fuentes González (recently appointed as a young arbitrator at the Santiago Arbitration and Mediation Centre) specialises in civil litigation.
Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez
‘The team has considerable and extensive litigation experience, especially in construction and infrastructure.‘
‘They stand out for their high commitment, dedication and depth of the analysis of cases.‘
‘They compare very favourably with other firms.‘
‘Experts who differ from their competitors through specialisations and excellent performances.‘
‘In addition to their deep legal knowledge, these are real sector and market experts.‘
‘They stand out for their knowledge and experience in several areas.‘
‘Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez is a true leader in construction and infrastructure litigation.‘
‘Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez is well connected and generous in sharing his knowledge and case law expertise.’
Rodríguez, Vergara & Cía, Abogados
Rodríguez, Vergara & Cía, Abogados is well known for its experience in civil and commercial disputes, which often involve mining, natural resources, banking and finance, and environmental law-related claims, as well as regulatory issues; the team also has robust international arbitration capabilities. Pedro Pablo Vergara and Fernando Rabat both have longstanding experience in major disputes, while civil law expert Hugo Rosende Álvarez is additionally on hand for complex litigation.
Schenke Brancoli Abogados
Boutique legal practice Schenke Brancoli Abogados was launched in April 2019, when it spun-off from Jara Del Favero & Ried Fabres, where Jorge Schenke (litigation, civil, commercial, administrative and constitutional matters) was a partner for 20 years; and Ricardo Brancoli (civil and criminal litigation, arbitration, corporate reorganisations, liquidations and labour law) was a partner for over 15 years. The 10-strong team is particularly experienced in cases concerning civil liability, stock markets, environmental law and commercial matters. Associate practice-group member, Nicolás Prado has a broad litigation practice and is noted.
Jorge Schenke; Ricardo Brancoli
San Francisco Investment
Del Monte Fresh Produce Chile
Pacific Hydro Chile
José Antonio Echavarri P
Víctor Valverde Palma
Ingeniería y Construcción Ingesal
Camila Michelini Fernández
Rolf Gremler Zeh
Arch Comunicaciones Chile
Casino de Juegos Valdivia
Casino de Juegos Iquique
Agrícola y Lechera La Greda
María Eugenia Prieto
- Acted for Arch Comunicaciones Chile, which sells technological products in the telecoms market, in relation to pending invoices for a distribution contract.
- Acted for the National Association of Professional Football, which administers a football channel, in relation to a matter concerning an alleged abuse of dominant position.
- Acted for José Antonio Echavarri in relation to debts with various credit institutions.
The Chilean member of the Diaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance, Abdala y Cia, acts in litigation involving state-owned companies, gaming and hospitality, telecoms, finance, shopping malls and construction. Litigation head Michele Daroch Sagredo is experienced in litigation involving civil law, banking and finance, regulatory issues and family law involving foreigners; José Ignacio Arteaga Manieu is in turn, an employment litigation expert. Founding partner Ricardo Abdala Hirane provides additional support, along with associate José Pablo Spencer.
Michele Daroch Sagredo
‘Good availability from the entire team, from the secretary to Ricardo Abdala Hirane, which makes a real difference.‘
‘The quality of the professionals and the knowledge they have of various fields are noticeable.‘
Chillan Casino Resort
Ovalle Casino Resort
Distribuidora de Productos Alimenticios León Parro
Ufinet Chile Networks
- Acted for Sun Dreams in a $70m case, which sought to nullify an administrative decision that approved modifications to a casino project in Pucón.
- Represented Ovalle Casino Resort in a series of legal actions in support of the Municipality of Ovalle’s attempt to prevent illegal slot machine activity.
- Acted for BAU in a building defects-related claim.
Launched in 2017, 'great firm' Abogabir Miranda Abogados is an emerging disputes boutique that focuses on domestic and international disputes. The practice has particular strength in complex construction disputes, but its experience extends to litigation involving energy agreements, chemicals storage contracts and financial fraud. Diego Abogabir and Nicolás Miranda (formerly of Jara Del Favero & Ried Fabres and Alessandri & Compañía Abogados, respectively) are both active in civil and commercial litigation, arbitration, administrative and public law disputes, white-collar crime and corporate investigations.
Diego Abogabir; Nicolás Miranda
‘A firm with partners who are highly committed to the results of their clients.‘
‘A great firm that is very dedicated, professional, thorough and creative.‘
‘They seek to understand in detail the client’s business and have extensive experience in structuring cases, focusing the client’s efforts effectively and efficiently on delivering the evidence.‘
‘In addition to knowing the law very well, they have deep experience in dispute resolution and understand the needs of their clients – most importantly, they have been successful in their practice.‘
‘Proactive in the search for solutions.‘
‘A boutique office that is highly specialised in dispute resolution, with the client relationship marked by highly personalised treatment.‘
‘Diego Abogabir is a skilled, experienced, committed lawyer who is highly aligned with the needs of his clients; he is also very approachable, executive, assertive, and manages to clearly explain the scenarios that the client may face throughout a dispute – all of which generates great confidence when hiring their services.‘
‘Great for the personal and direct intervention of partners Diego Abogabir and Nicolás Miranda.‘
Empresa de Montajes Industriales Salfa
Feria Chilena del Libro
Dragados (Agencia en Chile)
- Defended CMPC Tissue in a commercial dispute filed by Compañía General de Electricidad over the re-calculation of electricity services, which was triggered by the National Electric Co-ordinator.
- Represented Besalco in proceedings against former contractor Ariterra, which concerned the wrongful termination of a construction agreement for the construction of a public health facility in the south of Chile.
- Represented a subsidiary of KSB against Econssa (Chile’s sanitary services concessionaire) in a dispute concerning an EPC contract for a sanitary service plant.
Aylwin Mendoza Luksic & Valencia – AMLV
Aylwin Mendoza Luksic & Valencia – AMLV's litigation department is best known for its expertise in construction-related disputes. The practice regularly litigates complex issues surrounding infrastructure and public works contracts, and its experience extends to arbitration. The practice heads are name partners Jose Manuel Valencia (an infrastructure-disputes' expert) and Alvaro Mendoza Negri, a highway and energy projects specialist. The pair can also call on a capable second line of practitioners composed of director Cristina Santibáñez Boric, who leads the complex litigation and arbitration department, and infrastructure department director Alfredo Vial Rodriguez.
Jose Manuel Valencia; Alvaro Mendoza Negri
‘The team provides very personalised attention, with extensive experience in litigation involving infrastructure.‘
‘They are of excellent quality, and involved not only in strictly legal matters but also highly technical issues.‘
‘They work very closely with the client, and because of the way our company works, it adapts well to our work philosophy.‘
‘A team that guarantees a very direct relationship with the client, and understands and shares our needs and problems at all times – committed to guaranteeing a long-term relationship with the client, not just for a specific matter or project.‘
‘The partners are directly involved and committed to carrying out the work without delegating to associate lawyers while implying that the matter remains in the hands of the latter. When they get involved in a certain topic they have deep knowledge, both theoretical and practical, of the subjects in question – they don’t improvise.‘
‘A very co-ordinated team that is always available and with a lot of knowledge of judicial and contractual matters involving construction and public works.‘
‘Thorough knowledge of the regulatory framework and great for establishing very good communication lines, which is essential so as to streamline these type of processes.‘
‘The most outstanding lawyers are Jose Manuel Valencia and director Cristina Santibáñez.‘
Ingeniería Civil Vicente
Icafal Ingeniería y Construcción
Obras y Servicios Copasa (Agencia en Chile)
Claro Vicuña Valenzuela
Sociedad Ingeniería, Construcción Y Maquinarias
Empresa Constructora Tricam
Industria y Maestranza Austral
- Acted for Claro Vicuña Valenzuela in a breach of construction contract claim.
- Acted for Consorcio CVV-Ingetal in a major breach of contract case.
- Acted for ECISA in a claim involving construction project delays.
Baraona y Cía Abogados
Baraona y Cía Abogados is predominantly dedicated to litigation and arbitration, including civil and commercial law claims, bankruptcy, administrative law issues and construction disputes. Former Dean of Law at the Universidad de los Andes, Jorge Baraona González's broad practice includes litigation, domestic and international arbitration, agribusiness disputes and inheritance law; further support is provided by Jorge Baraona Correa (litigation, arbitration, regulatory and administrative conflicts/governmental litigation). Additional senior bench-depth is provided by of counsels Jaime Alcalde S and Juan Luis Goldenberg S, both seasoned disputes specialists. Associate Francisca Barros (litigation and arbitration) joined from Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría in January 2021.
Jorge Baraona González; Jorge Baraona Correa
Paramount Servicios Industriales
Servicios Intraholding Manquehue
Cementerio Parque del Recuerdo
- Acted for Inmobiliaria El Carmen (and others) in seeking to enforce the civil liability of defendants CGE and its executives, which related to damage suffered following a huge fire.
- Acted for Elizabeth Adauy, as partner of Elizabeth Adauy y Compañia, in a claim for the revocation of several sales of properties of the company.
- Acted for Paramount Servicios Industriales in seeking nullity of a partnership contract.
Del Río Izquierdo Abogados' litigation and conflict resolution practice is regularly sought out by clients from the finance, mining, energy, construction, real estate, hospitality, retail and technology sectors. Director of the litigation practice group, Francisco Bañados G is a civil, commercial, bankruptcy and criminal-procedure specialist. Also integral to the practice are experienced partner Alejandra Aguad Deik (director of the corporate, real estate, legal and compliance practice groups), and founding partner Eduardo Izquierdo, whose litigation practice includes constitutional, civil and commercial matters. José Joaquín Meza Maggi is an experienced senior associate.
Francisco Bañados G; Alejandra Aguad Deik; Eduardo Izquierdo
‘We have been a client of this firm for several years now – we made the best decision when hiring them.‘
‘We fully trust their judgement, knowledge, experience and commitment.‘
‘The lawyers of this firm make up a cohesive and multidisciplinary team with knowledge of different areas of law, which allows them to provide comprehensive advice.‘
‘Great preparation and knowledge of the subjects they handle – doing so with very good judgement.‘
‘Open to listening to suggestions and proposals from the client.‘
‘Great human quality of its members and comprehensive knowledge of the matters dealt with.‘
‘Good treatment of costs and billings, with a clear format in fee collection.‘
Tanner Servicios Financieros
Maestra Santa Rosa
Avla Compañía de Créditos y Seguros
Servicios Financieros Factor Plus
Proinvest Promotora de Inversiones
José Gabriel Massuh Isaías
Diana Miryam del Carmen Valenzuela Méndez
Granja Marina Tornagaleones
- Defended Inmobiliaria Vallauri against a lawsuit filed by a bank.
- Defended Granja Marina Tornagaleones against a claim filed by the largest electricity company in southern Chile.
- Defended Diana Miryam del Carmen Valenzuela Méndez against a claim concerning the nullity of a corporate modification.
The result of a 2019 merger between well-known local firm Estudio Otero, and Spain's ECIJA, ECIJA Otero is the Chilean office of a firm that now counts 14 offices across the region (in addition to those in the Iberian Peninsula). Accustomed to complex litigation, the five-strong, Santiago-based disputes practice is led by Rodrigo Nelson, who has longstanding experience in litigation, arbitration and bankruptcy proceedings, at both national and international level, including disputes involving the regulated markets, along with construction, mining, insurance and corporate litigation. Associate Jaime Silva Bruce is active in civil, labour and criminal law matters.
Cobra Chile Servicios
Automóvil Club de Chile
Energías Renovables Fotones de Chile
Compañía Eléctrica Montegrande
- Represented Microsoft Chile in its defence of legal actions, which aimed to remove personal data from internet search engines.
- Defended Cobra Chile Servicios against legal actions, further to the construction of a power plant.
- Acted for Familia Rissetto in a mining property dispute.
Frías & Lagos Abogados
Known as Frías, Lagos, Maira & Vial Abogados until the December 2020 departure of former name partners Esteban Maira and Rodrigo Vial (to re-establish their own firm), Frías & Lagos Abogados' experience includes complex litigation involving energy, construction, corporate governance and civil liability. The co-heads of the dispute resolution department are founding partners Nicolas Frías (current executive secretary of the Commission of the Ministry of Justice in charge of drafting the new Civil Procedural Code), and arbitration, litigation and ADR expert José Tomás Lagos.
Nicolás Frías; José Tomás Lagos
Jorge Luis Sampaoli Diaz
Inmobiliaria Chamisero Real Estate
Arturo Forster de la Barra
AVLA Insurance Group
Laboratorio Clínico Blanco
Familia Vergara Fabres
Arquitectura y Construcción
- Represented Hemisferio Sur in the filing of a precautionary measure against East Energy, a Hong Kong-based company.
- Acted for Lenergía Chile in the filing of an unprecedented injunction, which involved the seizure of several electric permits issued by Compañía General de Electricidad.
- Represented Jorge Luis Sampaoli (and his assistants Sebastián Beccacece and Jorge Desio) in a lawsuit against ANFP (Asociación Nacional de Fútbol Profesional) for breach of contract and torts caused by non-payment.
Gamboa, Fuenzalida, Sanfeliú & Ugarte Abogados
Consistently acting before the civil courts, Courts of Appeal and Supreme Court (as well as in arbitration), specialist contentious boutique Gamboa, Fuenzalida, Sanfeliú & Ugarte Abogados' litigation roster focuses on disputes in the electricity, energy and construction industries. The civil litigation practice is led by name partner Rodolfo Fuenzalida, whose expertise includes contentious civil, commercial, public and regulatory law, including construction and engineering specialisms. Associate Sebastián Liona assists with civil and commercial litigation.
‘A very solid team with thorough knowledge of the legislation and great practical experience.‘
‘They do their job very well!‘
‘Great for direct and timely responses.‘
‘Rodolfo Fuenzalida is a very direct, practical lawyer, with timely responses and deep knowledge of civil and procedural law and arbitration.‘
‘Rodolfo Fuenzalida is a lawyer who generates a lot of trust.‘
Construcción y Montajes Ocegtel
Urbaser Danner Group
Proyectos y Montajes Comin
Coz y Cía
- Defended Interchile in over 90 civil cases.
- Acted for Construcción y Montajes Ocegtel against Albemarle Corporation, in relation to the enforcement of an arbitation award.
- Currently defending Aldo Motta against civil claims filed in the ordinary courts by Chilean pension fund administrators.
Although traditionally known for the strength of its tax practice, Garnham Abogados' 'very solid' four-member team also focuses on the litigation and the resolution of civil and commercial conflicts, and the handling of bankruptcy matters. Representative disputes include matters from the healthcare, mining, construction and electricity-services sectors (among others). Heading the litigation and arbitration group, 'great strategist' Simón Zañartu 's practice takes in civil, commercial, and administrative litigation.
‘Garnham’s lawyers get immediately and directly involved in its clients’ matters and stand out for keeping the client informed at all times.‘
‘The client is not a mere recipient of legal services, but the protagonist of the litigation; in this sense, Garnham counts on the client’s participation and constantly promotes it.‘
‘They are able to anticipate the different scenarios to which the client may be exposed, and show great case handling and procedural knowledge.‘
‘A very solid team in terms of the analysis of cases, with excellent communication levels and a willingness to answer questions and doubts regarding the progress of the case and the strategies deployed.‘
‘A team that is concerned about its clients and willing to dedicate the necessary time to resolve doubts and concerns.‘
‘Simón Zañartu stands out for his enormous experience and knowledge, both in procedural and substantive areas.‘
‘Simón Zañartu is a great strategist, who is capable of having a panoramic vision of the litigation, and of developing an action plan that addresses its different aspects in an intelligent and careful way, putting at the service of the case all imaginable legal tools.‘
‘Simón Zañartu is always available to respond quickly to the concerns that arise during trials.‘
Asociación Nacional de Futbol Profesional
Sociedad Austral de Electricidad
Doosan Bobcat Chile
- Represented Empresa Eléctrica La Frontera in a civil lawsuit for damages suffered by a group of people (further to serious fires that occurred in Chile in 2014).
- Represented Asociación Nacional de Fútbol Profesional (sports association) in a matter against the General Treasury of the Republic, which derives from improper charges.
- Represented Empresa de Montajes Industriales Salfa (a construction company) in a civil lawsuit for damages suffered by the family of a worker, who died in a traffic accident during protests on a highway.
The Chilean office of UK-headquartered multinational insurance specialist firm Kennedys acts on a broad range of contentious matters, ranging from damages claims arising from industrial and environmental accidents, to professional liability disputes. Civil and commercial litigation, arbitration and consumer protection specialist Gian Carlo Lorenzini heads the litigation department, which also showcases Jose Antonio Gutierrez (sought out for opinions on pre-litigation matters); and of counsel Ricardo Peralta, who has over 50 years' relevant experience - including working as the securities regulator's legal head. Insurance department head Mario Diemoz provides additional support.
Gian Carlo Lorenzini
‘Their performance offers excellent levels of confidence.‘
‘The permanent communication of the status of the cases and their constant availability add to up a very good service.‘
‘The ease with which they explain the ongoing processes to us and their experience are highly appreciated.‘
‘The team of lawyers is highly qualified and distinctive for its knowledge and willingness to deal with clients’ requirement.‘
‘Certainly compares very favourably with other firms.‘
‘Gian Carlo Lorenzini stands out for his excellent approach, precision and speedy responses. With him there is certainty that he will offer a very good solution or the correct perspective to tackle a certain issue.‘
BNP Paribas Cardif
Chubb Seguros Chile
Seguros Generales Suramericana
Rigel Seguros de Vida
4 Life Seguros
- Acted for The Basketball League in relation to disputed television rights.
- Acts for a private corporation, on an ongoing basis, in relation to various labour law suits involving accidents at work.
- Part of the civil liability defence panel of Chile’s main insurance companies.
NLD Abogados was relaunched in February 2021, incorporating DLA Piper Chile's former counsel Ricardo López, who regularly acts in civil litigation and administrative procedures before governmental agencies, into its fold; López is now a partner and team head at the relaunched firm. The practice has broad experience representing Chilean and foreign clients in high-profile cases before both judicial courts and arbitral tribunals, and has specific industry expertise in technology, transportation, oil and gas, and pharmaceuticals.
‘Compares favourably with other firms due to the quality of the trial lawyers and their vast knowledge of the matters entrusted to them.‘
‘Great for speed and efficiency in the administration of clients’ instructions.‘
‘Dedication, simplicity, knowledge, efficiency and media management.‘
‘Excellent technical knowledge and judgement in relation to conflict resolution, both at non-litigation and litigation stages – virtues that when combined are extremely valuable to anyone receiving guidance on how to address certain conflicts.‘
Renta Nacional Compañía de Seguros de Vida
Empresa de Transportes de Pasajeros Metro
Ricardo Molina Chile
Doka Chile Encofrados
H van Wijnen
- Acted for Adexus in a contractual liability claim.
- Acted for H van Wijnen in a claim for breach of contract, which arose from the international sale of goods.
- Acted for Metrogas in a damages claim for non-contractual liability.
Ossa Alessandri Abogados
A core area for boutique firm Ossa Alessandri Abogados, the six-strong litigation practice houses experts in disputes involving projects, mining facilities, forestry, construction and infrastructure. Focused on the resolution of complex civil and commercial disputes (including contract, corporate, tort and insurance litigation, along with insolvency proceedings), Francis Lackington and associate María José Santibáñez were hired from LC Abogados (Lackington's own former firm) in January 2020. Name partner Francisco Ossa is also a key contact for civil and commercial litigation.
Francis Lackington; Francisco Ossa
The Siemon Company
Caja de Compensación Los Andes
- Assisted GGC Investor Fund in relation to a real estate fraud against 24 US citizens.
- Acted for Pacific Hydro (PH) on the preparation of a legal report concerning a nullity action filed by a Chilean mining company against a series of mining concessions owned by PH.
- Acted for Codelco Andina in a claim for breach of contract and unpaid services.
Ossandón Abogados' 'great litigation team' has longstanding experience in litigation matters involving engineering, construction and real estate. Partner in charge of the litigation department, Joaquín Montero Ossandón, 'stands out for his extensive experience in litigation', particularly civil and commercial claims involving construction, real estate, urban law and concessions. Eduardo Spichiger B (real estate, construction, bankruptcy and consumer protection), and Viviana Brito C (civil and commercial lawsuits), are experienced associates.
Joaquín Montero Ossandón
‘Great knowledge and availability.‘
‘A great litigation team with solid knowledge and specialists in civil liability matters.‘
‘The group has great technical preparation in highly complex litigation.‘
‘The litigation and arbitration group compares positively with the rest of the ranked law firms, mainly due to the importance of its clients and degree of specialisation in construction matters.‘
‘The team is characterised by the technical maturity of its lawyers.‘
‘The professional and personal qualities of the lawyers are remarkable.‘
‘Joaquín Montero Ossandón is appreciated for his knowledge of construction and litigation.‘
‘Joaquín Montero Ossandón stands out for his extensive experience in litigation and the relationship he maintains with his clients.‘
Conavicoop (Cooperativa de la Vivienda)
Salinas y Fabres (Automotriz)
- Acted for Besalco in its claim for additional and extraordinary works not contemplated in relation to the construction of the Copiapó Hospital.
- Acted for Socovesa Ingeniería y Construcción in relation to additional and extraordinary works surrounding the construction of the Cañete Hospital.
- Acted for Clínica La Portada de Antofagasta in a medical negligence case.
Pumpin, Dorfman, Nasser, Diaz (PDND)
Although Pumpin, Dorfman, Nasser, Diaz (PDND) provides a diversified range of legal services, approximately 70% of the firm's practice focuses on dispute resolution and litigation, including significant involvement in insurance industry matters and consumer issues. The nine-strong department is co-led by four name partners, namely: Mauricio Dorfman (civil liability, litigation, arbitration and labour law); land and maritime transport expert, Gabriel Pumpin; Ignacio Díaz (commercial, transport, insurance and consumer protection law); and Marcelo Nasser, who specialises in civil and commercial law, insurance, consumer protection and civil liability.
Mauricio Dorfman; Gabriel Pumpin; Ignacio Díaz; Marcelo Nasser
‘Very good availability, quick responses and high degrees of knowledge.‘
‘They have proven to have the necessary knowledge, soft skills and excellent handling of clients’ extra legal needs.‘
‘Always willing to help the client and available when required.‘
‘The team gives full confidence to the client.‘
‘Expert litigators with great experience and judgement.‘
‘Mauricio Dorfman has extensive knowledge of the law, and of the way in which the national courts of justice have ruled.‘
‘Ignacio Díaz has a lot of experience of different Chilean courts.‘
‘Gabriel Pumpin’s experience is demonstrated through his written skills, through which he analyses in depth the different aspects of a case.‘
Iquique Port Company
Alta Vista Inmobiliaria
- Currently representing Wom in 33 cases, both as plaintiff as well as defendant, in addition to a criminal fraud matter.
- Longstanding representation of Soprole, including diverse, highly complex civil liability and labour law cases.
- Acts for Adidas in Chile since 2015, predominantly in civil suits, consumer law issues and labour law trials.
Fielding young but experienced partners, Urzua Matute Abogados' notable strength is in construction litigation, where the firm leverages its projects and infrastructure expertise. Cristián Urzúa's practice includes project, engineering and construction litigation and arbitration; while fellow name partner, Claudio Matute (a senior associate in Carey's litigation and arbitration group until December 2018), is experienced in civil and commercial litigation, as well as domestic and international arbitration. The team is now five-strong, following the March 2020-hire of associate Inti Beroiz.
Cristián Urzúa; Claudio Matute
Minera Santa Elena
Agrícola Joaquín Cura y Cía
Eléctricas de Medellín
Compañía Chilena de Televisión
- Acted for Elecnor in a dispute surrounding the construction of a solar plant.
- Assisted Interaseo in litigation against the Government, claiming the payment of damages and extra costs for a a sanitary project.
- Represents Solarpack in litigation concerning the opposition of a community to the construction of a solar energy project.