DLA Piper LLP (US) has a prominent M&A practice with key lawyers in New York and Houston. The practice group distinguishes itself mainly through the frequent representation of global financial institutions and leading companies, such as Coca-Cola. At the head of the two main offices are M&A, private equity and corporate finance expert Jonathan Klein, and vice-chair Drew Baldinger, respectively. The group, which also covers local and national transactions, specializes in international stock-for-stock mergers, management buyouts and divisional purchases and sales. In addition, the team also draws expertise from the tax, antitrust and IP departments to provide a cross-practice service. Technology, life sciences, real estate and insurance are among the main sectors of expertise.
M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m) in United States
Jonathan Klein; Drew Baldinger
‘The team is tremendous. Excellent cohesion and an ability to handle multiple areas of law within the scope of single or multiple matters.’
‘This team has tremendous M&A expertise across multiple disciplines. What makes them unique is their client focus. They quickly become immersed in understanding their client’s business issues and hot-button topics. They also are tremendously client-focused.’
‘Highly experienced and competent. Their response time is immediate.’
The Coca-Cola Company
MEDNAX Services, Inc.
Q2 Holdings, Inc.
Stratos Genomics, Inc.
- Represented MEDNAX, Inc., the national health solutions partner and leading provider of maternal-fetal, newborn and pediatric subspecialty care, in its $885m sale of MEDNAX Radiology Solutions to Radiology Partners.
- Represented Seaspan Corporation in its acquisition of APR Energy Limited.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in acquiring the remaining 57.5% equity stake in Fairlife.
Best known for its specialization in the technology and life sciences sectors, Fenwick & West LLP's California-based M&A practice stands out for the frequent representation of major technology acquirers in Silicon Valley, including Amazon, Cisco Systems, Facebook and Symantec, among others. The team is led by Kris Withrow (Mountain View) and Douglas Cogen (San Francisco), who focus on strategic acquisitions and exit events, and strategic and commercial transactions respectively. Stephen Fisher, whose experience includes public and private company mergers, stock and asset sales and purchases and joint ventures, was promoted to partner in January 2020. Ken Myers in New York has a significant profile in technology and telecoms M&A. The group makes ample use of M&A technology, including proprietary deal rooms, diligence portals and an artificial intelligence tool for document review and analysis.
Kris Withrow; Douglas Cogen
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Fisher; Ken Myers
‘Fenwick is at the core of the technology sector. They are able to see around corners because they do such a high volume of transactions that are directly analogous to the transactions we do. They act like true parts of the team and are fully integrated into our M&A program. Their partner leadership is strong, with their associate talent consistently top notch, with a great client touch. Instantly responsive, you can hop on calls with them at all times of the day on urgent, complex issues relevant to technology companies.’
‘They are extremely knowledgeable. I find their knowledge and experience is best in class. As a result their assessment of situations, and their recommendations, can be confidently relied on.’
‘Excellent lawyers who have experience across a broad range of M&A transactions and provide value add advice and work product. Truly exceptional work.’
‘Strong IP and fintech capabilities. Best in class “big tech” experience.’
Audentes Therapeutics, Inc.
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Silver Peak Systems, Inc.
Accel Entertainment Gaming, Inc.
Lululemon Athletica Inc.
Packet Host, Inc.
Modis Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Audentes Therapeutics, Inc. in its acquisition by Astellas Pharma Inc. at an equity value of $3bn.
- Represented Symantec Corporation in the $10.7bn sale of its Enterprise Security assets to Broadcom Inc.
- Represented OSIsoft, a global leader in real-time industrial data software and services, in its $5bn acquisition by AVEVA, a global leader in industrial software.
Spread across multiple US offices and leveraging close working relationships with its international network, K&L Gates has a full-service corporate offering, which concentrates on equity investments and private equity transactions. Operating in a vast number of industries, the team's recent standout work has included advice on the public tender offer for all the outstanding shares of Veloxis, the cross-border carve-out sale of one of Evoqua Water Technologies' product lines, and Exact Sciences Corporation's acquisition of the epigenetics company Base Genomics. Key figures in the team include corporate global practice head Robert Zinn (New York), and co-head Annette Becker (Seattle), who has expertise in private and public equity financings as well as venture capital transactions. Other key lawyers are healthcare, financial services, technology, media and insurance expert Calvina Bostick (New York) and Leah Baucom (Charlotte), who handles leveraged buyouts, public and private divestitures, spin-offs and special committee representation.
Robert Zinn; Annette Becker
Other key lawyers:
Rick Giovannelli; Mark McMillan; Calvina Bostick; Leah Baucom
‘The firm integrates seamlessly with the corporate team, filling in the gaps and increasing the efficiency and the effectiveness of the corporate legal team. Efficient delivery of the legal product in the context of the business.’
‘K&L Gates has a great M&A team. Extremely responsive, knowledgeable and practical, they take a strategic approach to problem solving that gets the deal done while maintaining the key protections for their client.’
‘Flexible, supportive and attentive.’
‘Very strong, helpful professional, efficient. Exactly what you want in outside counsel.’
Primo Water Corporation
Shoptalk Commerce and Groceryshop.
Merrill Gardens LLC
Exact Sciences Corporation
Howard M. Meyers, QXH II, Quexco Incorporated, and RSR Corporation
Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
QualTek USA, LLC.
Sinch Holding AB.
RWE AG (previously owned by Innogy SE)
HARBRO Emergency Services & Restoration, Inc.
Capital South Partners Funds
The Nielsen Company (US), LLC
- Represented Veloxis Pharmaceuticals in the $1.3bn public tender offer of all the outstanding shares of Veloxis by Asahi Kasei, a Japanese public company.
- Represented Primo in connection with its $775m acquisition by Cott Corporation.
- Advised digital brands portfolio Red Ventures on its acquisition of CNET Media Group from ViacomCBS for $500m.
King & Spalding LLP's corporate and M&A practice has an extensive reach in the US and abroad and is focused on matters involving divestitures of public and private companies, joint ventures, anti-takeover strategies, tender offers and proxy contests. The group is particularly well known for its private equity practice, which is led from New York by Jonathan Melmed and has a solid position in the middle market. Melmed is notably active in the healthcare, life sciences, power and energy infrastructure sectors. In Atlanta, practice head Keith Townsend represents issuers and underwriters in corporate finance transactions, while Rahul Patel regularly serves as lead outside counsel to companies of the likes of Roper Technologies, Oxford Industries and General Electric. James Woolery left the firm in October 2020 to found the boutique Woolery & Co; however, a number of partners joined the firm from Baker McKenzie and Morrison & Foerster LLP.
Keith Townsend; Rahul Patel
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly knowledgeable and efficient.’
Roper Technologies, Inc.
Science Applications International Corporation
Blue Canyon Technologies, Inc.
ManTech International Corporation
Global Payments Inc. (NYSE: GPN)
Eagle Merchant Partners
The Vincit Group
Under Armour, Inc.
Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc.
- Advised Aaron’s, Inc. on the spin-off of its Aaron’s Business segment.
- Represented Dynetics, Inc. in its $1.65bn acquisition by Leidos Holdings, Inc.
- Advised Lightning Systems, Inc. as it entered into a Business Combination Agreement with GigCapital3.
Miami-based Harris Siskind heads McDermott Will & Emery LLP's global corporate practice, which has notable strength in private equity matters, often advising funds and portfolio companies on acquisitions, dispositions and leveraged recapitalizations. The team routinely takes on the role of counsel for serial acquirers and also acts across the whole lifecycle of a private equity portfolio company. Standout deals included the representation of the Sterling Group and its portfolio company, Construction Supply Group, in a business combination transaction, and, separately, the $1.35bn sale of Allscripts Healthcare Solutions's CarePort Health business to WellSky Corp. In New York, Timothy Alvino handles domestic and cross-border divestitures and joint ventures, while Todd Finger is active in mergers, stock and asset purchases and sales, joint ventures and recapitalizations.
Other key lawyers:
Timothy Alvino; Todd Finger
‘Incredibly responsive. Provide clear, concise advice. Go above-and-beyond to provide information to clients to help facilitate their decision making.’
‘Incredibly knowledgeable, proactive, and responsive. Our advisors deliver a prestigious law firm experience in every single interaction and deal. While having incredible backgrounds and legal pedigrees, they are very down-to-earth and easy to communicate with.’
‘Deep expertise in all M&A transactions. Have particular experience in doing deals in Africa. They are true business partners and don’t give just the legal answer. They give the practical business advice, knowing the legal considerations.’
‘The team is very hands-on, and work very collaboratively. The team feels like an extension of the in-house team. Key capabilities focus on the ability for the team to advise on a broad range of topics and pull-in experts to the core M&A team as required.’
‘They are extremely client-focused, always available and always willing to go the extra mile to get a result. They work as a team, and feel like part of the in-house team.’
Agilent Technologies, Inc.
Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDRX)
Ampersand Capital Partners
Amulet Capital Partners, L.P.
Angeles Equity Partners
Atlantic Street Capital
AUA Private Equity Partners
Baker Hughes Company
Batchelor & Kimball, Inc.
Baxter Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: BAX)
BDO USA, LLP/ BDO Public Sector, LLC
BioTek Instruments, Inc.
Blue Sea Capital
BofA Securities, Inc.,
Calera Capital Partners
CenterGate Capital, LP
Charles River Laboratories International, Inc.
Choice Health Insurance LLC
Commonwealth Psychology Associates, LLC
DFB Healthcare Acquisitions Corp.
Dogfish Head Brewery
Enhanced Healthcare Partners (“EHP”)
Enleofen Bio Pte Ltd.
Fireman Capital Partners
- Represented the Sterling Group, a Houston-based private equity firm, and its portfolio company, Construction Supply Group (CSG), in a business combination transaction in which the private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) will acquire for cash the construction and industrial business of HD Supply Holdings Inc.
- Represented Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. in the execution of a definitive agreement to sell its CarePort Health business to WellSky Corp.
- Represented Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, BofA Securities, Inc., Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC as the joint book-running managers in an underwritten $1bn public offering of 1.95% Senior Notes of Northern Trust Corporation.
Norton Rose Fulbright has notable strengths across the spectrum of private and public M&A matters, as well as regulation and corporate governance. The team's client pool ranges from family businesses all the way to multinational companies, the majority of which are in the financial, energy, healthcare and technology sectors. Contacts in the team include Dallas-based Scarlet McNellie, who is head of corporate, M&A and securities, and Gene Lewis, head of business in Denver. The department also includes key practitioners Glen Hettinger (also in Dallas), who assists boards of directors on matters involving corporate governance, interested-party transactions, and fiduciary duties, and divestitures; and joint ventures expert Kessar Nashat in New York.
Scarlet McNellie; Gene Lewis
Other key lawyers:
Glen Hettinger; Kessar Nashat
‘The NRF team is highly skilled and approaches transactions with a very commercial perspective. Not only do they identify issues for immediate action, they take a long view of a deal and what needs to be done to prepare for hurdles down the road. They understand my business and our unique approach to transactions.’
‘The team is great, from the partners through the associate ranks. The transaction teams are always well staffed with the right people who continue to build knowledge about our business and our needs.’
‘Exceptional knowledge, responsiveness, great quality and advice.’
Montage Resources Corporation
Pharmaceutical Strategies Group (PSG)
CORE Industrial Partners
LongueVue Capital, LLC
Marsh and McLennan Companies Inc (MMC)
- Advised Husky Energy on an all-stock $17.9bn combination with Cenovus Energy, creating the third largest Canadian-based refiner and upgrader.
- Advised Montage Resources on its all-stock sale to Southwestern Energy, for a combined value of $2bn.
- Advised Ullico on its acquisition of a 35% interest in a 1.4 GW portfolio of two combined-cycle gas generation assets and two battery energy storage assets located in California and Arizona from The AES Corporation for $424m.
Paul Hastings LLP's Chicago-based Thaddeus Malik heads the firm's M&A practice, which is notably active in the defense and aerospace, media, entertainment, technology and life sciences sectors across the US. The San Francisco and Palo Alto offices specialize in public and private multi-jurisdictional mandates, joint ventures and strategic alliances; while in San Diego, the team focuses on matters in the financial services and emerging technologies sectors. In New York, the emphasis is on cross-border M&A and private equity transactions. Standout highlights include the Intel Corporation's $2bn acquisition of Habana Labs, an Israeli-based developer of programmable deep learning accelerators; that matter was led by William Choe in San Francisco. In March and May 2020, Stefan dePozsgay and Trevor Katende left for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP and Everest Talent Management, respectively.
Other key lawyers:
The Boeing Company
Eli Lilly & Co.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Canopy Growth Corporation
- Represented Colony Capital as lead sponsor of an acquisition of 80% of mature data center assets owned and managed by Vantage Data Centers with a value of $3.5bn.
- Represented Intel Corporation in its $2bn acquisition of Habana Labs Ltd., an Israeli-based developer of programmable deep learning accelerators for the data center.
- Advised telecom equipment company Ericsson AB on the acquisition of Cradlepoint, a wireless networking company, for $1.1bn.
WilmerHale's M&A advice is particularly sought out in the life sciences, technology, financial services and communication sectors. The team is best known for providing interdisciplinary advice by leveraging the firm's securities, corporate governance, tax and regulatory groups, as well as its international network. A sizable part of the department is housed in the Boston office, where Hal Leibowitz and Joseph Conahan act as co-heads, focusing on corporate and securities law matters and on the representation of buyers, sellers and boards of directors in divestitures, joint ventures and other transactions, respectively. Chris Barnstable-Brown in New York has a wide domestic and international M&A practice, while Jay Bothwick stands out for his involvement for clients like the Endurance International Group and Acacia Communications.
Joseph Conahan; Hal Leibowitz
Other key lawyers:
Chris Barnstable-Brown; Jay Bothwick
Endurance International Group
- Represented Eaton Vance Corp. in its $7bn acquisition by Morgan Stanley.
- Representing Emisphere Technologies, Inc. in its pending $1.8bn acquisition by Novo Nordisk A/S.
- Represented SoFi in its acquisition of Galileo Financial Technologies for $1.2bn.
Winston & Strawn LLP has a significant track record in public and private M&A as well as in private equity matters, acting both for the target companies and the funds. The main activities of the team include carve-outs, distressed acquisitions and restructurings. Dominick DeChiara is a well-known name in the market and leads the practice in New York. Matthew Bergmann and Christopher Zochowski act as co-heads from Chicago and Washington, respectively.Other names to note include Timothy Kincaid, who focuses on equity purchase, capital raising and sale transactions; Oscar David, who has expertise in the consumer products sector and regularly advises on M&A, securities, and corporate governance; and Allen Miller, a name to note for international transactions.
Dom DeChiara; Matt Bergmann; Chris Zochowski
Other key lawyers:
Timothy Kincaid; Oscar David; Allen Miller
‘Leadership and deep knowledge combined with efficient use of high level subject matter experts.’
Allscripts Healthcare Solutions Inc.
American Access Casualty Company
Beam Suntory Inc.
Boxwood Merger Corp.
Chart Industries, Inc.
Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corp.
Forum Merger II Corporation
International Dehydrated Foods, LLC
KAR Auction Services Inc.
Motorola Solutions, Inc.
Netfin Acquisition Corp.
NexPoint Advisors, L.P.
Reyes Holding, LLC
Sandvik Mining and Construction BV
Silva International, Inc.
SW Brewing Company
Treehouse Foods, Inc.
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
United American Healthcare Corporation
ValTek Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Skillz Inc. in its business combination with Flying Eagle Acquisition Corp.
- Represented Danfoss in its acquisition of Eaton’s Hydraulics business for a cash purchase price of $3.3bn.
- Represented Reyes Holdings, L.L.C. in its $2bn sale of the Reinhart Foodservice Business to Performance Food Group Company.
Baker & Hostetler LLP's New York-based M&A team has notable strength in the representation of companies in middle-market technology, media and telecoms transactions. The group is particularly sought out for its expertise in foreign inbound transactions into the US, which is a key area of focus for practice head Steven Goldberg. This type of work is complemented by the firm's international tax and CFIUS teams and also by group's in-depth knowledge of the Indian and European markets. In January 2020, five new M&A experts at partner level joined the newly opened Dallas office. Jonathan Cramer left for Herrick, Feinstein LLP in May 2020.
The E.W. Scripps Company
Third Point LLC
TransDigm Group, Inc.
Ring Energy, Inc.
Orafol International, Inc.
Toyota Motor North America
- Advising Scripps on a proposed $2.65bn acquisition of national broadcast network Ion Media.
- Advised Third Point LLC on a transaction in which Global Blue, a leading provider of Tax Free Shopping and payment solutions became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange; enterprise value $2.65bn.
- Advised TransDigm Group Inc. on its sale of France-based Souriau-Sunbank Connection Technologies, a manufacturer of electrical interconnect products for harsh environments, to Eaton Corporation plc for approximately $920m.
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP's M&A team is distinguished by its public and private company M&A and shareholder activism activity. Working together with the wider firm's antitrust, employee benefits, insolvency, tax and securitization teams, the practice is able to provide full support to clients including Hudson Executive Capital, Senator Investment Group and Elliott Management Corporation as well as both activist shareholders and companies responding to shareholder activism. The group also has strengths in board advisory matters, corporate governance, sell-side buyouts matters and hostile transactions. William Mills and Richard Brand head the practice group in New York.
William Mills; Richard Brand
ACRES Capital Corp.
Bow Street LLC
Community Bank System, Inc.
CVC Capital Partners
Dealer Car Search
Hudson Executive Capital LP
Hyland Software, Inc.
Monocle Acquisition Corporation
Sachem Head Capital Management
Senator Investment Group
Shanda Asset Management
SRS Investment Management
Vann A. Avedisian Trust and a group of investors
- Advised Senator Investment Group LP on its partnership with Cannae Holdings to make an approximately $7bn unsolicited acquisition proposal for CoreLogic and in its successful bid to replace three directors on the Company’s board with Senator and Cannae nominees.
- Advised Sachem Head Capital Management in its $1.2bn acquisition of a 9.1% stake in Elanco Animal Health Inc.
- Advised Bow Street LLC in its proxy contest with Mack-Cali Realty Corporation and successful effort to add eight new directors to the company’s board.
Cooley LLP has a sizable M&A practice providing the full range of transactions advice both to public and private companies. The practice group regularly acts for acquirers, targets and sellers in connection to all-cash and all-stock acquisitions, public company mergers, and take-private transactions, with a strong focus on the technology and life sciences industries. Barbara Borden, who concentrates on cross-border acquisitions and joint venture structuring, heads the team from San Diego. In San Francisco, Jamie Leigh handles transactional matters for clients including Uber, NVIDIA, Tableau and Zoom, and Ben Beerle has broad expertise in M&A and joint ventures. Also of note, the New York office welcomed the arrival of Kevin Cooper from Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in March 2020, but also saw the departure of three partners.
Barbara Borden; Jamie Leigh
Other key lawyers:
Ben Beerle; Kevin Cooper
‘Cooley has experienced lawyers who understand the nuance and practicality of negotiations and where to take acceptable business risk. Also understand how to manage board dynamics and how to navigate complex transactions with multiple stakeholders.’
‘What I appreciate about this team is their rapid response to questions, and their availability in general.’
‘Every individual I’ve worked with over the past 15-18 years has taken a personal interest in us, the founders, as well as the company as we expanded.’
‘Deep knowledge and experience. They really take the time to understand the business’
Kim Kardashian West
Kylie Jenner / King Kylie Cosmetics
Zoom Video Communications
Dentons' full-service M&A practice is specialized in assisting companies in the manufacturing, energy, financial services, healthcare and life sciences sectors. Don Hammett, who leads the US corporate practice group, sits in Dallas and has longstanding experience in corporate and tax structure issues. Joshua Fisher is a stand-out managing associate. Michael Cochran left for Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton in July 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘The entire team was very responsive and always available to keep our deal moving along to completion.’
Spread across Santa Monica, Silicon Valley and Boston, and bringing together attorneys from a variety of practice areas, Goodwin's M&A service group has strong expertise in the middle market, where it focuses on sectors such as private equity, technology, life sciences, and real estate. Global head of M&A Stuart Cable acts for buyers, sellers and investment banks, as well as private equity and venture investors. Alessandra Simons often works with boards and executives through M&A exits, both domestically and cross-border. Kenneth Gordon is also a key practitioner and recently stood out for his work on Carbon Black's sale to VMWare for $2.1bn.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Weidhaas; Anthony McCusker; Kenneth Gordon; Mitchell Bloom; Alessandra Simons
‘The Goodwin internal team is a key feature of the success of the firm and a critical part of why I continually return to use them. The flexibility of team structure, strong back up capabilities and deep expertise across the various features of all play into their success.’
- Counseled Freshly on its $950m sale to Nestlé USA.
- Advised Immatics N.V. on its $993m business combination with Arya Sciences Acquisition Corp.
- Advised Workfront on its definitive agreement to be acquired by Adobe for $1.5bn.
In the M&A space, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP stands out for its cross-disciplinary and international capabilities. In addition to its US, European and Asian offices, the firm also has in-depth experience of transactions in Latin America and the Caribbean. Contested acquisitions, corporate auctions and spin-offs as well as buyouts and divestiture programs are among the team's main activities. Richmond-based co-head Steven Haas assists companies and boards of directors with matters regarding corporate governance, shareholder activism and other fiduciary duty matters. Steven Patterson in Washington DC specializes in representing retail and consumer products companies. In Houston, Michael O’Leary has a wide reputation in master limited partnerships, energy and oilfield services matters.
Steven Haas; Steve Patterson
Other key lawyers:
‘The HAK team is well-rounded in their skill set and very responsive to their clients’ needs. You can get the answers you need in just about any subject area very efficiently and quickly.’
‘Steve Haas is the main partner I work with on M&A and corporate matters and is great to work with and very knowledgeable from a legal and practical perspective. He is extremely responsive and does whatever is necessary to get the job done in a productive and efficient manner.’
San Juan Holdings
HOF Village, LLC
Pure Acquisition Corp.
Jernigan Capital, Inc.
DCP Midstream Partners, LP
Virginia Community Bankshares, Inc.
Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation
Pretium REO, LLC
BankFirst Capital Corporation
Entegra Financial Corp.
Spirit of Texas Bancshares, Inc.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
- Represented Pure Acquisition Corp. in its $845m acquisition of HighPeak Energy, LP, HighPeak Energy II, LP and HighPeak Energy III, LP.
- Represented GAINSCO, Inc. in its $400m acquisition by State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.
- Represented Hall of Fame Village in its $390m SPAC merger with Gordon Pointe Acquisition Corp to create the Hall of Fame Resort & Entertainment Company.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP leverages its position in Silicon Valley to act as legal advisor to technology companies that are involved in various types of transactions. Featured in the team's recent caseload are SPAC transactions, including some billion-dollar highlight cases for Fisker, Momentis and Luminar Technologies, along with sell-side transactions involving serial acquirers such as Amazon, Dell, DropBox, Facebook, Google and others. Led by highly recognized Matthew Gemello, who often acts on buy-side M&A, the team is also noted for its experience handling transactions in the energy and pharmaceutical sectors.
Macquarie Infrastructure Partners
- Advising Clover Health on its $3.7bn definitive agreement to become publicly traded via a SPAC merger with Social Capital Hedosophia.
- Advised Fisker on its $2.9bn merger with Spartan Energy, a New York based SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of Apollo Global Management, resulting in Fisker becoming a public company.
- Advised Veolia Energy North America Holdings Inc., a subsidiary of Veolia Environnement SA, on the $1.25bn sale of its US district energy assets—comprising a portfolio of cogeneration and steam, hot and chilled water and electricity production plants across ten US cities, and the operating businesses—to private equity firm Antin Infrastructure Partners SAS.
Under the joint leadership of Stuart Freedman and Richard Presutti, Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP's M&A practice stands out in particular for its private equity and investment management focus. In addition, the New York-based team is known for advising on public and private transactions, spin-offs and joint ventures. Freedman has significant experience in cross-border transactions, while Richard Presutti's recent work has included advice on Veritas Capital's and Cambium Learning Group's acquisition of Rosetta Stone; Andrew Fadale was also involved in that matter.
Stuart Freedman; Richard Presutti
Other key lawyers:
Acacia Research Corp.
Cerberus Capital Management
Marlin Equity Partners
Oak Hill Advisors
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP has a strong market position in the Midwest, but also handles M&A for public and private companies nationwide. Healthcare and technology transactions are particular strengths. Jim Fischer and Keith Radtke jointly lead the firm’s corporate practice group, while Mike Stanchfield and Adam Weinstock are leaders of the firm’s M&A group.
Jim Fischer; Keith Radtke; Mike Stanchfield; Adam Weinstock
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP focuses on complex transactions, developing customized strategies for clients over a full range of M&A transactions, such as joint ventures and investments, areas where Michael Traube is noted. Kenneth Lefkowitz, who acts as the firm’s deputy chair and chairman of the corporate group, is noted for his expertise in hostile takeovers, proxy fights and takeover defense. The wider practice is well placed to advise on cross-border work.
Other key lawyers:
Kenneth Lefkowitz; Michael Traube; Charles Samuelson
BAC Florida Bank
CF Finance Acquisition Corp.
GB Auto Service
Kensington Capital Acquisition Corp.
Madison Square Garden
Sony Music Entertainment
The Smithfield Group
Turnitin (a subsidiary of Advance Publications)
Jenner & Block LLP
Jenner & Block LLP offers a wide range of transactional support, covering M&A, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Edward Prokop in New York has significant experience advising private equity and asset management firms; the firm also regularly advises middle-market companies. Joseph Gromacki leads the firm-wide corporate practice from the Chicago office, handling M&A transactions and advising public companies and their boards on corporate governance, fiduciary and disclosure matters. Thomas Monson is also recommended in this space. The corporate practice, with an established bench of partners in Chicago, has grown in New York and Los Angeles. New York-based co-chair Kevin Collins also chairs the life sciences and healthcare group, attesting to the team's transactional strength in those sectors. Carissa Coze in Los Angeles is particularly recommended for her expertise in strategic transactions within the media industry.
Joseph Gromacki; Kevin Collins; Carissa Coze; Thomas Monson
Other key lawyers:
‘Kevin Collins and team are a group of outstanding, engaged M&A lawyers who combine expertise, experience, pragmatism and strategic thinking. They will support your cause with great expertise and guide you with calm, professionalism and foresight through all M&A situations.’
‘Engagement, courage, customer identification, pragmatism, great expertise and experience.’
Archer Daniels Midland Company
General Dynamics Corporation
General Motors Company
Honeywell International Inc.
Lonza Group AG
The Hertz Corporation
US Foods, Inc.
Cresco Labs Inc.
Green Thumb Industries
Aurora Cannabis Inc.
- Advised General Dynamics on its public offering of $4bn of debt securities.
- Advised Shift Technologies Inc. on its merger agreement with Insurance Acquisition Corp., a NASDAQ-listed special purpose acquisition company.
- Represented Silgan Holdings Inc. in its acquisition of the dispensing business of the Albea Group for $900m.
Linklaters LLP' US M&A practice stands out for its capability in multi-jurisdictional deals, drawing on the wider firm's global M&A practice groups. The team is recommended for both international clients involved in inbound deals and US clients in outbound deals. It offers comprehensive transaction support, with linked-up US and global capital markets, antitrust and tax practices. Scott Sonnenblick focuses on corporate transactions, including those with cross-border elements. He jointly heads the practice with Peter Cohen-Millstein, who, in addition to transactional work, has extensive expertise in SEC compliance and reporting and governance issues. Both Sonnenblick and Cohen-Millstein are based in New York.
Peter Cohen-Millstein; Scott Sonnenblick
Other key lawyers:
Gabriel Silva; Alberto Luzarraga
Digital Colony Partners
Marfrig Global Foods S.A.
Montagu Private Equity LLP
ASSA ABLOY Inc.
Petroleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras
Sibanye Stillwater Limited
- Advised global investment firm Digital Colony on multiple digital infrastructure transactions including the acquisitions of Highline, Etix and other independent owners and operators of communication infrastructure and data center operators in South America, Europe, Japan and Africa.
- Advised Marfrig on the $970m acquisition of a 51% interest in the US beef processor National Beef.
- Advised ASSA ABLOY on its acquisition of LifeSafety Power (LSP), an Illinois-based supplier of integrated access control power solutions for OEMs, integrators and end-users and Olimpia Hardware, a leading provider of glass hardware and accessories in Latin America and the Caribbean.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP advises corporate clients and investors on M&A and related transactions, including carve-outs, joint ventures and hostile or contested situations. Eric Zabinski in Century City chairs the M&A practice group.