M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m) in United States
DLA Piper LLP (US) is active in a range of domestic and cross-border, public and private M&A, and corporate transactions, including stock-for-stock mergers, management buyouts, tender offers, proxy contests, and divisional purchases and sales. Firm-wide, the corporate service group utilizes a multidisciplinary approach, providing its clients with a full range of related tax, antitrust and intellectual property advice. Jonathan Klein in New York chairs the M&A group and is recommended for his expertise in M&A, private equity deals, corporate finance, securities matters and restructuring. The practice group has experience of M&A in a huge variety of industry sectors, including technology, life sciences and healthcare, consumer products, real estate, insurance, manufacturing, and financial services.
‘The DLA team and team members are very diversified and collegiate’.
‘They are very responsive and knowledgeable in their respective disciplines’.
‘They are very well respected in the legal and business communities and take a “client first” approach to representation’.
‘They take ownership of the deal’.
‘Jonathan Klein takes ownership and coordinates all legal aspects of the deal and with his experience he also contributes to commercial and strategic discussions’.
Brookfield Asset Management
MB Financial Bank
- Represented North American Dental Group, a dental service organization and ABRY Partners portfolio company, in its sale to Jacobs Holding, a Switzerland-based family office.
- Represented Augmenix, a healthcare provider of therapy for prostate cancer patients, in its acquisition by Boston Scientific Corporation.
- Represented Avison Young, a commercial real estate services firm, in its acquisition of GGVA Worldwide and in its related acquisition financing transactions.
- Advised CIE Automotive, a Spain-based global industrial supplier to the automotive market, on its $755m acquisition of Inteva Roof Systems, a US-based designer and manufacturer of car sunroofs.
- Advised CustomInk, provider of an online platform for designing clothing, on its controlling PE growth investment from Great Hill Partners.
K&L Gates handles domestic and cross-border M&A, commercial transactions and restructuring mandates for clients in the areas of private equity and financial services. In addition, the team has handled significant transactions in the technology, manufacturing, healthcare, life sciences, energy and transport sectors. Robert Zinn in New York and Pittsburgh acts as global practice head of the corporate group, and also co-leads the global fintech practice. Another contact in New York is Calvina Bostick, who has experience of M&A, private equity investments and other business transactions. Rick Giovannelli co-heads the corporate group, and also leads the private equity practice from the Charlotte office; he is adept at PE buyouts, recapitalizations and financing transactions. Also in Charlotte, associate Leah Baucom has been identified as a rising star in the team. Mark McMillan is a contact in the Chicago office; he has experience acting for boards of directors, investors and owners of Fortune 500, mid-market and emerging companies. A name to note on the West Coast is practice co-head Annette Becker in Seattle, who has over 25 years’ experience in M&A, corporate governance and complex strategic relationships.
‘Robert Zinn is very knowledgeable and committed to delivering results valued by client’.
‘Great, pro-active thinkers and communicators’.
‘One of key strengths of the K&L Gates team is its ability to provide legal advice tailored to the risk profile of a technology startup, and provide that advice in a startup friendly budget’.
‘Ready access to legal professionals in Asia has greatly helped our efforts to establish offices and relationships with customer and suppliers in Asian markets’.
‘Seamless integration across jurisdictions and office’s.
‘Whitney Smith is super smart, pragmatic and really easy to deal with’.
‘They structure engagements such that they have multiple people involved to provide greater insight and coverage at any time’.
‘Ideas are practical and easily implemented’.
‘They really look for fit for purpose solutions to challenges and opportunities and are able to think locally while leveraging a global footprint’.
‘The team members are thoughtful, creative, engaging, courteous, and talented’.
Sealed Air Corporation
Carousel Capital Partners
Howard M. Meyers, RSR Corporation and Quexco
Primo Water Corporation
Hudson Clean Energy Partners
- Advised Microsoft on its $1bn equity investment in OpenAI, a company striving to develop secure, trustworthy and ethical artificial general intelligence (AGI) to serve the public.
- Represented the Goldman Sachs’ strategic investing group in investments in Veem, Nav Technologies and Better Mortgage.
- Advised Sealed Air on its $510m acquisition of Automated Packaging Systems (APS).
- Advising Evoqua Water Technologies on an agreement to divest its Memcor® membrane product line to DuPont Safety & Construction.
- Advising IPEX on its cross-border acquisition of Silver-Line Plastics.
King & Spalding LLP is noted for its expertise in a wide range of M&A and corporate transactions, including divestitures, going-private transactions, anti-takeover strategies, tender offers and proxy contests. The practice group also handles large-scale commercial joint ventures and LBOs, benefitting from the firm's complementary strengths in fund formation, leveraged finance, securities, tax and restructuring. The team is experienced in a variety of industry sectors, but has been especially active in the energy, infrastructure, real estate, healthcare, life sciences, business services, technology and telecoms sectors. New York-based James Woolery is a key figure in the M&A and corporate governance practice; he counsels C-suites, boards and general counsels on corporate and strategic matters. Another key figure is Atlanta-based Rahul Patel, who has experience of M&A and private equity buyouts, joint ventures and other control and non-control transactions. Also in 2019, the Washington DC team was bolstered by the arrival of four partners from Morrison & Foerster LLP: Larry Yanowitch, Tom Knox, Charles Katz and Jeremy Schropp.
Other key lawyers:
‘The best middle market M&A group in the Southeast by far’
‘Rahul Patel offers a high quality client service’
‘King and Spalding has a fanatically strong core M&A group that is supported by equally strong subject matter experts, who understand the deal and what the client is after’
Thomas H. Lee Partners
Northlane Capital Partners
Americold Realty Trust
Jack Cooper Ventures
BlueMountain Capital Management
Columbia Property Trust
Starwood Energy Group Global
InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure
- Advised Thomas H. Lee Partners on a definitive agreement to sell its portfolio company Prime Risk Partners.
- Represented Roper Technologies in the divestiture of its transmission electron microscope business to AMETEK for $925m.
- Advised Americold Realty Trust on its acquisition of privately-held Cloverleaf Cold Storage from Cloverleaf management and an investor group managed by Blackstone for $1.24bn.
- Advised Bristow Group on the company’s termination of its $560m purchase of Columbia Helicopters.
- Advised Cortland Partners on a definitive agreement to acquire Pure Multi-Family REIT in an all-cash transaction valued at $1.2bn.
McDermott Will & Emery LLP advises clients on a range of corporate, M&A and private equity deals, and has a particularly strong reputation in the healthcare, pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors. Other sector strengths include alcoholic beverages, food, transport, energy and biotechnology. The team is headed by Harris Siskind in Miami, who has experience advising corporates and private equity sponsors on M&A and a variety of other corporate matters. Contacts in the New York office include Timothy Alvino, who handles cross-border M&A and joint ventures, and Todd Finger, who co-heads the New York transactions group and is experienced in stock and asset transactions, LBOs, venture capital investments, restructurings and recapitalizations. David Goldman left for an in-house role at Rosemark Capital.
‘Willingness to be truly one team with in-house and other advisors’.
‘Strongly identify with the project’.
‘The level of service provided by the team has been excellent’.
‘They put together strong teams in the various jurisdictions, ensuring that all relevant skills are covered’.
‘Their key strengths include the ability to think creatively and work outside the commercial norm’.
‘Timothy Alvino has always amazed me at the level of service he is prepared to give his clients as a matter of course, 365 days a year 24/7’.
‘Timothy Alvino has great patience, tenacity and technical legal skills, paying complete attention to the tiniest of details’.
Steward Health Care System
Arthur L. Irving Family Trusts
Oskar Blues Brewery Holding Co
Compania de Cervercerias Unidas
Allscripts Healthcare Solutions
WindRose Health Investors
Gemspring Capital Management
- Represented Evonik Industries, one of the world’s leading specialty chemical companies, in connection with the $625m acquisition of PeroxyChem Holding Company from One Equity Partners by way of merger.
- Represented Dogfish Head Brewery, a brewing company based in Milton, Delaware, in its $300m merger with the Boston Beer Company.
- Represented Credit Suisse (Strategic Transactions Group) in the negotiation and execution of a buyout of its interests in an affiliate of Bloom Energy Corporation.
- Assisted Boyne Capital with the sale of its portfolio company, B&W Quality Growers to Blue Road Capital.
- Represented affiliates of Wellspring Capital Management, a New York-based private equity firm, in the negotiation and execution of an agreement and plan of merger with Diagnostic Services Holdings.
Leveraging 'a range of language skills and previous in-house experience', Norton Rose Fulbright has 'a real ability to provide cross-border support for a range of services including M&A and corporate governance’. The practice group acts for clients ranging from family-owned businesses to multinational corporations, and has developed particular expertise in the financial services, energy and healthcare sectors. Dallas-based Scarlet McNellie heads the corporate, M&A and securities practice, while Gene Lewis in Denver heads the firm's business practice. Other key contacts include Glen Hettinger in Dallas, who advises public and private companies on capital raises and M&A deals, and Kessar Nashat in New York, who has experience of a wide variety of corporate and securities transactions. Also of note, over the past year the US team has added to its ranks a couple of partners with experience practice overseas: Chris Pearson moved to New York team the firm's London office, and John Nelson Chrisman joined the Dallas office from Clyde & Co LLP in Hong Kong.
‘The team has a real ability to provide cross-border support for a range of services including M&A and corporate governance’
‘There are a range of language skills and previous in-house experience that bring a truly commercial approach’
‘The firm has depth in a variety of specialties’
‘The individuals I have worked with are responsive and available throughout the day and evening, if needed’
‘They are knowledgeable, good communicators, and reasonable’
Barrick Gold Corporation
Cleco Corporate Holdings
Tokio Marine HCC
- Represented Barrick Gold Corp. in the buyout of Acacia Mining for $1.2bn.
- Representing Cleco Corporate Holdings in its acquisition of conventional power generation assets in Louisiana and Texas from NRG for $1bn.
- Represented Ørsted in its acquisition of Deepwater Wind Holdings for $510m.
- Represented Veritex Holdings in the $1bn acquisition of Green Bancorp.
- Represented Bombardier in the $645m sale of its business aircraft training business to CAE and in its sale of its commercial aviation business to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
Paul Hastings LLP
Paul Hastings LLP is adept at handling large cross-border M&A, venture capital transactions and private equity-related investments, with a particular focus on the media, entertainment, technology and life sciences sectors. The team has also been carving out a niche in the cannabis industry, where it has handled high-value transactions for clients such as Tilray and Canopy Growth Corporation. Carl Sanchez in San Diego and Thaddeus Malik in Chicago jointly head the global M&A practice. Also in Chicago, Amit Mehta co-heads the global corporate practice alongside Atlanta-based Elizabeth Noe, who advises on securities and corporate governance matters, in addition to M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a close relationship with the client’
‘Great strategic thinking from the partners’
‘Creative and hard-working’
‘When working with Paul Hastings I feel like the team cares about my issues as much as I do’
‘The team is fully engaged and looks for solutions rather than road blocks in negotiations’
‘Given the added complexities of the cannabis space, the M&A team at Paul Hastings and in particular Samuel Waxman, are pragmatic and thoughtful as to how best to navigate’
‘Samuel Waxman always seeks pragmatic solutions to get us to the outcome we desire’
‘Deep understanding of the client’s objectives and needs’
‘Highly responsive and available’
‘Strong relationships with counterparty firms in the market’
The Boeing Company
Eli Lilly & Co.
Merck & Co.
General Electric Company
The Greenbrier Companies
Canopy Growth Corporation
Javelin Global Commodities (UK)
Kratos Defense & Security Solutions
Lexington Realty Trust
- Represented Goldman Sachs, financial advisor to Twilio, a cloud communications platform, in its $1.1bn acquisition of Sendgrid, the leading email API platform.
- Represented Boeing in its acquisition of ForeFlight.
- Represented Teleperformance, a French public company, in its acquisition of the Intelenet Group.
- Represented Intel Corporation in its proposed acquisition of Barefoot Networks, a fabless semiconductor company creating ultrafast chips for switching systems.
- Represented OneStream Software in the sale of a controlling stake of the company to KKR.
WilmerHale has strengths in a variety of M&A and corporate deals, including stock-for-stock mergers, cash mergers, tender offers, acquisitions and dispositions of divisions, royalty interest investment deals, and spin-offs. Among its recent highlights, the team has been especially standout in the life sciences, technology, financial services, defense and communications sectors. Co-chair of the M&A practice group Hal Leibowitz focuses on corporate and securities law, and public company counseling. Joseph Conahan also co-heads the team and advises buyers, sellers and boards of directors on M&A, divestitures, joint ventures and other strategic transactions. Also recommended are Jay Bothwick, who has over 30 years’ experience in mid-market and large-cap M&A, and New York-based Chris Barnstable-Brown, a name to note for issuers and underwriters in domestic and international financing transactions. The team took on three transactional partners in the Palo Alto office from Foley & Lardner LLP: Fred Adam, John Rockwell and Todd Rumberger. Named attorneys are based in Boston unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Wilmer Hale team is the best M&A team I have worked with in my 25+ years of doing M&A’
‘They are experienced, knowledgeable, pragmatic, hard-working and bring the right approach to every situation’
‘Hal Leibowitz is the senior partner that we work most closely with; I have worked with Hal on over 10 transactions and my preference is not to work with anyone else’
Blue Apron Holdings
Brigade Energy Services
General Catalyst Partners
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Progress Software Corporation
Signature Family Wealth Advisors
State Street Corporation
Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Represented Acutronic Company in its acquisition by The Perfect Parts Company, which includes Sullivan UV.
- Represented Corvia Medical, a Massachusetts-based privately held company that developed the world’s first transcatheter device designed to treat heart failure, in connection with its execution of an agreement with Edwards Lifesciences under which Corvia granted Edwards the exclusive right to acquire the company.
- Advised Cumberland Farms, a regional chain of approximately 600 convenience stores and fuel stations across seven northeast states and Florida, on its acquisition by EG Group, a UK-based operator of petrol-station forecourts.
- Represented MKS Instruments in its all-cash acquisition of Electro Scientific Industries for $1bn.
- Represented long-time client and serial acquirer Thermo Fisher Scientific in the sale of its Anatomical Pathology business to PHC Holdings Corporation, a global innovator in healthcare solutions, for $1.1 bn in cash.
Winston & Strawn LLP advises public and private companies, private equity funds, financial institutions, investors, and emerging companies on a broad range of corporate matters, including cross-border M&A, take-private transactions, carve-outs, distressed acquisitions and restructurings. Leveraging over 20 years’ experience in representing private equity investors, Matthew Bergmann co-chairs the M&A practice alongside Washington DC-based Christopher Zochowski and Dominick DeChiara in New York. Also recommended are Allen Miller, another contact in New York for M&A, investments, joint ventures, securities law matters and corporate governance; Oscar David, who provides transactional support and strategic advice to businesses, C-suite executives and boards of directors; and Timothy Kincaid, who handles buyouts and divestitures for private equity funds and businesses. James Vallee joined in Houston from Paul Hastings LLP. Robert Wall left the firm. Named attorneys are in Chicago unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have an extraordinary mix of capable attorneys with an extensive experience in Latin American companies dealing with US markets’.
‘They include native speaking lawyers from major countries in their office, bringing diversity and knowledge to their clients’.
Bartlett & Company
CORE Industrial Partners
Crystal & Company
KAR Auction Services
The Jordan Company
- Represented NGL Energy Partners in the $600m acquisition of all of the equity interests of Hillstone Environmental Partners from Golden Gate Capital.
- Represented LEO Pharma A/S in connection with its $70m investment in PellePharm, a portfolio company of BridgeBio Company. LEO Pharma also acquired an option to acquire PellePharm for up to $690m including milestone payments.
- Represented Morningstar in the acquisition of DBRS, the world’s fourth largest credit ratings agency, for a purchase price of $669m.
- Represented Landcadia Holdings, a special purpose acquisition company, in a $545m business combination with Waitr, a restaurant platform for online food ordering and delivery in the Southeastern United States.
- Represented Chart Industries in its $592m acquisition of Harsco Corporation’s Air-X-Changers business.
Baker & Hostetler LLP is particularly experienced in M&A transactions involving companies in the technology, media and telecoms industries. Acting for private equity sponsors and venture capital investors, C-suites and boards of directors, and domestic and multinational companies, the team provides comprehensive advice on M&A and foreign inbound transactions; an area where it benefits from the availability of firm's tax structuring and CFIUS experts. Steven Goldberg co-leads the national M&A team and chairs the New York business group; he focuses on mid-market M&A, both domestic and cross-border. Counsel Asim Grabowski-Shaikh in New York is also recommended, as is Cleveland-based Ronald Stepanovic, who jointly leads the team alongside Goldberg. Ian Cohen left for an in-house role at Pharmapacks.com.
Other key lawyers:
The E.W. Scripps Company
- Represented ECN Capital Corp in its acquisition of a majority stake in Kessler Financial Services for approximately $221m.
- Represented The E.W. Scripps Company in multiple acquisitions of television stations in excess of $1bn.
- Represents Duff & Phelps, a global valuation and corporate finance advisor, in giving a fairness opinion to a major consumer discretionary company in connection with a divided recapitalization transaction.
- Representing Big River Steel, a producer of advanced automotive steels and electrical steels, in its joint venture with US Steel Corp.
- Acting for Toyota in connection with its joint venture with Mazda.
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP handles a variety of public and private M&A and LBOs, and also has noted expertise in shareholder activism, strategic governance and takeover preparedness, hostile takeovers and proxy contests. The corporate and M&A team also benefits from the firm's wider strengths in debt and equity finance. Richard Brand and William Mills jointly chair the corporate M&A practice. Brand acts for public companies, hedge funds, private equity firms and investment banks, while Mills is rated in particular for his experience advising public companies and boards of directors on corporate governance, fiduciary duty and disclosure matters. Vivian Maese joined from Latham & Watkins LLP. All named attorneys are based in New York.
Alcentra Capital Corporation
Bank of America
Community Bank System
Corindus Vascular Robotics
D.E. Shaw & Co.
M&G Investment Management
Sachem Head Capital Management
- Represented Corindus Vascular Robotics in its $1.1bn acquisition by Siemens Medical Solutions.
- Represented Inteva Products in the $800m sale of its roof systems design and assembly business to CIE Automotive.
- Represented M&G Investment Management in its investment in Methanex Corporation and successful proxy context and agreement with Methanex.
- Representing Sachem Head Capital Management in its $311m acquisition of a 9% stake in Eagle Materials and proposal to separate Eagle’s heavy materials and light materials businesses.
- Represented Ashford in its $275m acquisition of the hotel management business of Remington Holdings.
Cooley LLP is known throughout the market for its strength in the technology sector, where it handles buy and sell-side transactions for public and private companies. In addition to its corporate counseling, and M&A and transactional work, the team also has experience of large-scale joint ventures and commercial agreements, IP asset acquisitions and patent cross-licenses. The group also has experience of transactions in the life sciences, medical device and healthcare, consumer, education, defense and media industries. San Diego-based global M&A co-chair Barbara Borden acts for boards of directors in connection with M&A and related governance and anti-takeover matters. Joint practice chair Jamie Leigh in San Francisco handles takeover and activist defense engagements, proxy contests, joint venture structuring and strategic equity investments. Another contact in San Francisco is Ben Beerle, who is particularly experienced in cross-border M&A. Mehdi Khodadad left for Sidley Austin LLP.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Sazerac on its purchase of 19 alcoholic beverage brands, including Seagram’s VO, from Diageo for $550m.
- Advised Trilogy Education, a workforce accelerator that prepares adult learners for high-growth careers in the digital economy, on its $750m sale to education technology company 2U.
- Advised Dova Pharmaceuticals on its pending sale to Swedish Orphan Biovitrum (Sobi) for up to $915m.
- Advised Therachon on its sale to Pfizer for up to $810m.
- Advised Kylie Jenner on a $600m long-term strategic partnership between her cosmetics company and Coty.
Dentons runs a full-service M&A practice, which is active in a wide variety of corporate matters, including cross-border and domestic M&A, joint ventures, capital raises and licensing deals. The team also has a strong advisory practice, handling corporate governance, strategic management and general outside counsel matters. Areas such as manufacturing, energy, financial services, healthcare and life sciences are among the group's industry expertise. Managing partner of the Dallas office Don Hammett leads the US corporate practice group. Michael Cochrane in Atlanta handles private equity, M&A, corporate finance and distressed transactions. Kansas City-based senior managing associate Joshua Fisher represents family-owned businesses, private equity and venture capital funds, franchisors, high-net-worth investors and entrepreneurs.
‘Very pleased with the advice and support provided by the commercial, tax and HR specialists’
Green Thumb Industries
Atlas World Group
Energy Distribution Partners
- Represented Cura Partners in the circa $1bn sale of Cura’s cannabis business to Curaleaf.
- Represented Jushi from inception, through fundraising rounds and an IPO to list on the Canadian NEO exchange.
- Represented EMart in the $275m acquisition of Good Food Holdings, a California-based holding company of grocery chains Bristol Farms, Lazy Acres Market, and Metropolitan Market.
- Represented MeatEater, in the acquisition of First Lite, a technical, hunting apparel company.
- Represented Atlas World Group, the parent company of Atlas Van Lines, in relation to the acquisition of the equity interests of Champion International Moving.
Fenwick & West LLP has deep expertise in the technology and life sciences sectors, and recently expanded its strong West Coast presence with the opening of a new office in Santa Monica. Jointly chaired by San Francisco-based Douglas Cogen and Kris Withrow in Mountain View, the team represents start-ups, established companies, and venture capital investors, and has been especially active in the areas of blockchain and fintech, healthcare, and AI in the auto industry. Contacts in New York include Ken Myers and Gordon Davidson, who handle M&A and strategic investment deals. The team has also named a number of new partners over the past year: Stephen Fisher in Mountain View, and Bomi Lee and Ryan Slunaker in San Francisco were all promoted to the partnership.
‘The Fenwick team is easily one of the best corporate teams from a technical and experience standpoint, but from a value for money standpoint they are at the very top ‘.
‘One of the key differentiators is that their internal organization and compensation structure encourages collaboration within the firm where many other top firms are the opposite’.
‘When we pay for any attorney at Fenwick we know that person can effectively leverage the collective knowledge of the other attorneys’.
- Represented Symantec in Sale of Enterprise Security Assets for $10.7bn to Broadcom.
- Represented Cray in $1.3bn Acquisition by Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
- Represented PlanGrid in a $875m acquisition by Autodesk.
- Represented Demisto in its $560m Acquisition by Palo Alto Networks.
- Represented Corium in its $504m Acquisition by Gurnet Point Capital.
Goodwin’s corporate practice has a strong focus on the life sciences, technology and real estate industries, where it handles a range of public and private M&A, LBOs, spinoffs, divestitures and going-private transactions. The firms-wide corporate group is led by seven partners, all of whom bring unique specializations to provide clients with end-to-end service. Stuart Cable leads the global M&A practice, and counsels boards of directors and management teams on corporate governance, M&A, and disclosure and securities law. The public M&A group is jointly led by Lisa Haddad, John Haggerty, and securities and M&A litigator Deborah Birnbach. Key figures in the tech-focused M&A group include Kenneth Gordon, Anthony McCusker in Silicon Valley, and John Egan III. Egan and McCusker specialize in acting for emerging technology companies, while Gordon focuses on M&A and corporate finance for established corporates and venture capital funds. Alessandra Simons in San Francisco is recommended on the more junior end of the partnership. Named attorneys are in Boston unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘Powerhouse team delivering excellent execution across aspects of a transaction’.
‘The team hits on all the core requirements expected at this level – work ethic, diligence, availability, attention to detail, negotiating ability and speed of execution’.
‘A key differentiation I saw in this team that added tons of value was spending the time to gain deep understanding of the motivators of the various constituents they represented i.e. investors, management, founders and creditors’.
‘I believe there is a very simple way to best explain Alessandra Simons: if I am in a transaction, I would not want to see Aly across the table from me’.
6 River Systems
- Advised Semma Therapeutics on its definitive agreement to be acquired by Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated for $950m.
- Advised Control4 on its definitive merger agreement under which SnapAV will acquire Control4 for $680m.
- Represented Shields Health Solutions in its equity investment from Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe and Walgreen Co.
- Represented Royalty Pharma in its $827m acquisition of Ligand Pharmaceuticals’ royalties on sales of Promacta.
- Advised DiscoverOrg, a portfolio company of TA Associates, The Carlyle Group, and 22C Capital, in the acquisition of Zoom Information.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP is consistently ranked among the league leaders in mid-market M&A by deal volume, and indeed, with its strong footprint across the US and in commercial centers throughout Europe and Asia, the corporate group is routinely involved in transactions on a national and international scale. The M&A practice group is jointly headed by Steven Patterson in Washington DC and Steven Haas in Richmond, both of whom advise on a range of governance, shareholder activism and other fiduciary duty matters, in addition to maintaining active transactional practices. Other key contacts in the corporate team include Houston-based Michael O’Leary and oil and gas practice co-head Ashley Burns Muehlberger. Fernando Alonso leads the Latin America team from the Miami office, and has experience acting for Spanish financial institutions and corporates. Gary Thompson chairs the public company M&A practice in the Richmond office.
Other key lawyers:
‘Robert Jewell and Michael O’Leary are super-good lawyers in securities and M&A’.
‘Robert Jewell has great experience and adds value to all types of transactions’.
‘Michael O’Leary provides super M&A counsel and strong experience in all types of deals’.
‘The depth of knowledge and experience of their financial institution practice group is unmatched by any other firm I know’.
‘They not only know the law and regulations, they know the players in the space’.
‘Steve Haas and his team were extremely knowledgeable and valuable’.
‘They advised us as a committee every step of the way’.
‘Steve Haas and his entire team did a great job, they worked tirelessly to get the transactions done regardless of commitment or the time involved’.
Ahold Delhaize Group
Antero Midstream GP
Banco de Sabadell
Duke Energy Corporation
Energy Transfer Partners
Entegra Financial Corp.
Enterprise Products Partners
FCC Fomento de Construccion Y Contratas
GSO Capital Partners
Hall of Fame Village (the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH)
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Noble Midstream Partners
Pebblebrook Hotel Trust
RAM Telecommunications International
Rotoplas/Molding Acquisition Corp.
Sabine Oil & Gas Holdings
Service Properties Trust (formerly known as Hospitality Properties Trust)
Shell Midstream Partners GP
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
Sucro Can Sourcing/SC Americas
The Hershey Company
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
TRU Kids Brands
Viper Energy Partners GP and Viper Energy Partners
- Represented Altria in its $441m acquisition of 80% ownership interest in a joint venture with Burger Söhne Holding (the “Burger Group”), based in Switzerland, to commercialize “on!” products worldwide.
- Representing Hall of Fame Village (HOV Village) in its $390m merger with Gordon Pointe Acquisition Corp. to create a premier sports entertainment and media enterprise surrounding the prestigious Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Represented Smithfield Foods in its $250m joint venture with Dominion Energy to develop and operate renewable natural gas production facilities using hog waste.
- Represented WGL Midstream in its $275.3m sale of 30% of Stonewall Gas Gathering to DTE Midstream.
- Represented Entegra Financial Corp. in relation to a $219.8m topping bid made for the company by First Citizens Financial.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP handles public and private company M&A and other domestic and cross-border corporate deals from its coast-to-coast office network. Of particular note, the group has a growing presence in Silicon Valley, where it is active in the tech and life sciences sectors. Other areas of strength include retail, energy and infrastructure. New York-based King Milling leads the global corporate business unit; he handles domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, and private equity and venture capital transactions. Technology and finance expert Matthew Gemello joined in Silicon Valley from Baker McKenzie LLP, though former global chair of M&A and private equity Ed Batts left the firm for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘Orrick’s M&A team is responsive and highly experienced in cross-border transactions covering multi jurisdictions’
‘They were able to quickly coordinate among their offices to meet our short-notice requests, and proactively suggested necessary steps’
ArcLight Capital Partners
EDP Renewables North America
Energy Investors Funds
Seacrest Capital Group
Superior Plus US Holdings
Macquarie Infrastructure Partners
Michelin North America
Vitech Systems Group
- Advised Bayer on its purchase of the remaining 60% of BlueRock Therapeutics that it does not already own in a cash up-front acquisition.
- Advised Greek shipping company DryShips, which owns and operates ocean going cargo vessels worldwide, on the acquisition by SPII Holdings of outstanding shares.
- Advised EDP Renewables North America, a Houston-based developer of wind farms, on the sale of its 80% interest in 499MW wind portfolio valued at $860m to Axium Infrastructure.
- Advised power producer NextEra Energy Partners on its $1.4bn acquisition of Meade Pipeline Co.
- Advised Norwegian oil company Equinor on its $965m acquisition of the Caesar Tonga deepwater oilfield in the US Gulf of Mexico from Royal Dutch Shell.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP handles a broad range of corporate matters, including cross-border and domestic M&A, takeover defense, corporate restructuring and strategic counseling. In particular, the firm has developed a strong reputation in the private equity space space, where it handles LBOs, portfolio acquisitions, bolt-on acquisitions and exit strategies. The team generates work in a variety of industry sectors, such as life sciences, healthcare, media, pharmaceuticals, financial services, food and beverage, technology and energy. Based in the Chicago office, Matthew Petersen acts as US co-chair of the global corporate group and Michael Lee chairs the global M&A practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable – both in legal terms and market practice’
‘Extremely responsive and service-minded’
‘Very happy with their support in this area’
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP is a standout player in the private equity and investment management space, and in this area, it is known as a go-to advisor both for private investment funds and their portfolio companies. Among its recent highlights, the team advised Veritas Capital on its $5.7bn take-private acquisition of athenahealth, showcasing its ability to handle large multibillion-dollar transactions, in addition to high-volume middle-market work. The Veritas work was led by Richard Presutti, who chairs the investment management M&A practice, and also jointly leads the M&A and securities group alongside Stuart Freedman, who specializes in cross-border private equity and securities deals. As for new additions to the team, Edward Sadtler joined from Kirkland & Ellis LLP, and Daniel Eisner joined from DLA Piper LLP (US), having previously headed the firm's private equity practice. All named attorneys based in New York.
Cerberus Capital Management
Marlin Equity Partners
Priority Technology Holdings
Sustainable Growth Advisers
- Advised Cerberus Capital Management on the €1bn purchase of a significant minority stake in Hamburg Commercial Bank.
- Advised Veritas Capital on the sale of Alion Science to Serco.
- Advised GCP Capital Partners on the acquisition of Transfast by Mastercard.
- Advised Keane Group on a merger of equals with C&J Energy Services.
- Advised global investment firm Marlin Equity Partners and its portfolio company Tangoe in the acquisition of MOBI Wireless Management.
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath has a particularly strong reputation throughout the Midwest, though the team also handles M&A for public and private companies nationally and internationally. In terms of sector experience, the practice group has a track record of work in a variety of area, including manufacturing, construction, food and agriculture, banking and financial services, insurance, life sciences, healthcare, and energy and natural resources. M&A practice leader Bruce Engler specializes in advising private equity investors on the purchase, sale, refinancing and restructuring of their portfolio companies. Corporate group head Chris Hofstad advises on M&A and corporate governance, capital markets and securities transactions, and venture capital investments. Named partners are based in Minneapolis.
DuPont / Corteva
Hormel Foods Corporation
Piper Sandller Companies
- Advised the shareholders of Schwan’s Company on the $1.7bn sale of a majority stake in the company to South Korean-based CJ CheilJedang.
- Advised on a $1.6bn 50-50 joint venture between Bridger Pipeline and Phillips 66, including on related financings.
- Represented Century Casinos in its acquisition of three casinos from Eldorado Resorts.
- Acting as lead counsel to DuPont in its sale of its cellulosic ethanol facility.
- Advised Endocyte on its sale to Novartis for approximately $2.1bn.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP acts for domestic and international corporates, boards of directors and investment funds in significant M&A, financing transactions and large-scale commercial agreements. The M&A group is chaired by Avner Bengera, an experienced M&A and private equity lawyer, with the language skills to support a prolific internationally oriented practice. Deputy chair of the firm and chairman of the corporate group Kenneth Lefkowitz is noted for his expertise in hostile takeovers, proxy fights and takeover defense. Also recommended is Michael Traube, who has experience in a variety of public and private M&A, proxy contests, joint ventures and strategic investments. James Modlin left the firm for an in-house role at EY. All listed partners are based in New York.
Madison Square Garden
Greenbriar Equity (GB Auto Service)
Pure Power Technologies
Sony Music Entertainment
Wafra Capital Partners
United Family Healthcare (CEO)
- Represented French media entrepreneur and art collector Patrick Drahi in his acquisition of global auction house Sotheby’s.
- Advised animal health company Zoetis on its acquisition of Platinum Performance.
- Advising private equity firm Platinum Equity on its pending acquisition of Wesco Aircraft Holdings.
- Represented magazine publisher Condé Nast in the sale of three media brands in three separate deals.
- Advising Cartamundi Group on its proposed acquisition of the United States Playing Card Company (USPC) from Newell Brands.
Acting for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to middle-market companies and private equity firms, Jenner & Block LLP has experience of a huge variety of corporate transactions and advisory matters. Moreover, its transactional work is supported by experts in the firm's tax, labor, privacy and data security, and labor law departments, among others. The firm-wide corporate practice is led out of the Chicago office by Joseph Gromacki, who advises public and private companies on M&A, strategic corporate governance and crisis management issues. Thomas Monson is also recommended in the Chicago office. The team also has a strong presence on both US coasts. In New York, Kevin Collins specializes in corporate and financing matters in the life sciences, food, chemicals and technology sectors, while Los Angeles-based Carissa Coze is a name to note for media-related transactions, including commercial deals such as content production and distribution. Edward Prokop is also recommended in the New York office. Michael Wolf left for an in-house role at Baxter.
Archer Daniels Midland Company
General Dynamics Corporation
General Motors Company
The Hertz Corporation
Green Thumb Industries
- Advised Diamond Castle Partners on the sale of its stake in Multi-Color Corp.
- Represented TEGNA in acquiring 11 broadcast stations.
- Represented Lonza Group in a sell-side transaction with Platinum Equity whereby Platinum Equity acquired Lonza’s Water Care business and operations for $630m.
- Advising Aurora Cannabis on US securities and general corporate matters.
- Represented Zijin Mining Group Co. in an all-cash $1.4bn cross-border offer for Nevsun Resources.
Linklaters LLP handles cross-border M&A and a huge variety of regulatory work for clients in the financial services, healthcare, energy, chemicals and automotive sectors. The US practice group is jointly headed in New York by Peter Cohen-Millstein and Scott Sonnenblick. Cohen-Millstein has wide-ranging experience of equity and asset deals, LBOs and recapitalization mandates, while Sonnenblick focuses on corporate and securities compliance and transactional matters, executive compensation and venture capital investing. The US group is also able to work in conjunction with the wider firm's global network to advise on international banking, investment management, structured finance and restructuring mandates.
‘They understand the client’s aims and objectives, they don’t try to impose their own and they work well together’.
‘Scott Sonnenblick is a maestro of the M&A space, not just because he knows the law as well as anyone and how to explain the practical implications of it, but because he knows how to shape the transaction from (before) the start, right through to completion’.
‘Very knowledgeable within their field of M&A, good at communicating and project management’.
‘Peter Cohen-Millstein is our main contact and is one of the best lawyers I have worked with globally during my 20 plus years in the industry’.
Sibanye Gold Limited GFI Mining
Xtep International Holdings
Montagu Private Equity
Mayfair Equity Partners
Petroleo Brasileiro Petrobras
- Acted for Sibanye Stillwater in connection with a transaction with Regulus Resources that will lead to the formation and spinoff of Aldebaran Resources.
- Advised Linde on three further divestments and the completion of a complex carve-out which cleared the path for the business combination of Linde and Praxair to form a new enterprise.
- Advised Xtep International Holdings, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, on its $260m acquisition of 100% stake in E.Land Footwear USA Holdings.
- Represented ASSA ABLOY in its acquisition of Luxer Holdings Corporation.
- Advised Whirlpool Corporation on its pending $1.1bn sale of its Embraco compressor business to Nidec Corporation.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP has a track record in domestic and cross-border M&A, and crisis management, and also advises clients on compliance issues and day-to-day corporate concerns. Silicon Valley-based Warren Lazarow and San Francisco-based Brophy Christensen are jointly chair the corporate department.