Mr Fernando Alonso > Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP > Miami, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP Offices
1111 BRICKELL AVENUE
MIAMI, FL 33131
- Go to...
Mr Fernando Alonso
Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking and Finance, Private Equity, Corporate, Financial Institutions Corporate and Regulatory, Capital Markets and Securities, Energy and Infrastructure, Latin America, International and Cross-Border Transactions, Public-Private Partnerships and Infrastructure
Partner and chairman of the firm’s Latin American and Iberian practice group
Fernando C. Alonso has practiced in the corporate and securities, banking and finance and international fields for more than 25 years. His clients include a broad range of publicly owned and privately held US and foreign companies and financial institutions. Throughout his career, Mr. Alonso has led numerous significant mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other business transactions, including those involving cross-border complexities. He regularly represents foreign clients in connection with US acquisitions, as well as domestic companies in connection with their international expansion. His practice also involves representation of both financial institutions and companies in connection with their equity and debt financings.
Mr. Alonso has structured and directed numerous private equity deals and represents private investment funds in the US and abroad in connection with their structuring and joint ventures, as well as portfolio acquisitions and dispositions. Additionally, he has been involved in the structuring of several public/private partnerships, privatizations and government contracts and concessions. He has represented sponsors in numerous significant infrastructure projects, both in their development and finance.
Mr. Alonso has particular experience in the telecommunications, energy and infrastructure sectors. He currently serves as chairman of the firm’s Latin American and Iberian practice groups.
Admitted to the District of Columbia, Florida and New York State Bars
- JD, Yale Law School
- BA, History, Yale University, summa cum laude
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP continues to stand out thanks to its work in major infrastructure projects, including digital and subsea cable systems. It is also widely recognised for its representation of multilateral development banks, non-bank financial institutions and investment corporations such as IDB Invest, Corporación Andina de Fomento and International Finance Corporation (IFC). Among a number of impressive engagements, the team advised IDB Invest, as lender, on a $125m unsecured loan facility to Engie Energía Chile for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the 162MW Calama Wind Farm in Calama, Antofagasta, Chile. Fernando Margarit is a market leader in cable systems projects. Washington DC partner Vera Rechsteiner is a frequent adviser to development banks and multilateral lenders in Latin America energy and infrastructure financings. Fernando Alonso and Uriel Mendieta provide further senior level expertise, as does Houston’s Doris Rodríguez.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP has an excellent record in Latin America M&A, principally driven by its core Latin America team in Miami. The group has deep experience in financial services, telecoms and food and beverages transactions, among others. Fernando Alonso leads the Latin America team and is a seasoned veteran of M&A, corporate transactions and commercial agreements in the region; he led the team that advised Diageo on its various distribution agreements and arrangements through Latin America. Fernando Margarit is a leader in telecoms and digital infrastructure matters, while Uriel Mendieta has become an established name in Latin America M&A in multiple sectors and jurisdictions.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP‘s strong commitment to Latin America is driven by a series of senior practitioners that are focused on the region. In the banking and finance segment, it has a long track record with key agency and DFI lenders, commercial banks and Latin American borrowers, including financial institutions. The firm works closely with IDB Invest on a range of financings and is also noted for its record in bank M&A. Fernando Alonso, chairman of the Latin America and Iberia practice group, is hugely well connected and operates across the corporate transactions and financing segments. Washington DC partner Vera Rechsteiner has an eminent background in energy and infrastructure financings, and is a frequent counsel to IDB Invest. Uriel Mendieta represents both lenders and borrowers in multiple Latin American jurisdictions, as does Fernando Margarit . Houston special counsel Doris Rodríguez and Washington DC-based international counsel Alejandro Silva are also key team members; the latter previously served as assistant general counsel at the IFC. Named individuals are based in Miami, unless stated otherwise.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP‘s Miami office has served the Latin America region for decades, notably representing a number of international and regional banks, multilateral lenders, international investors and regional multilatinas. The Miami team is recognised for its roles in major financings, financial institutions M&A, and infrastructure projects (including cable and fibre-optic lines). Fernando Alonso is chairman of the Latin America and Iberian practice group and is a versatile and senior name in a variety of transactions, including M&A, banking and finance, capital markets and projects and energy. Fernando Margarit is a market leader in subsea fibre-optic cable systems, including those involving Latin America. Gustavo Membiela is a prominent name in cross-border disputes, arbitration, investigations and US-Cuba sanctions. Uriel Mendieta is another notable figure in cross-border M&A and financings. Real estate specialist Jonathan Kurry has joined Reed Smith LLP.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Employment >
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Intellectual property > Patents: licensing
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Project finance