A solicitor apprenticeship is usually a six-year programme comprising a combination of on-the-job training and studying, at the end of which you will qualify as a solicitor.
The idea behind solicitor apprenticeships is to make careers in law more accessible. An apprenticeship also offers the opportunity to ‘earn while you learn’, so that you don’t have to start your legal career drowning in student debt.
Apprenticeships have been growing in popularity in recent years. Taylor Wessing is one of the latest firms to announce that it is launching an apprenticeship scheme.
Level 7 Apprenticeship
This is the most common type of apprenticeship offered by law firms at the moment. It is aimed at students who have completed their A-Levels but who have not yet done an undergraduate degree. Paralegals and chartered legal executives can also take this route.
Apprentices will also need to pass the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) before being admitted as a solicitor.
Level 7 apprenticeships will take six years for school leavers to complete. Apprentices who have already gained some legal experience may be able to cut this time down.
How does the solicitor apprenticeship work?
Apprentices will spend approximately 80% of their time working in a law firm, and the other 20% at law school or college studying for academic qualifications. In practice, this could mean four days in the office and one day at college.
As part of the academic portion of the apprenticeship, you will study modules such as tort, contract and criminal law, alongside practical legal skills.
How much can I expect to earn as a solicitor apprentice?
Salaries for solicitor apprentices start from around £20,000 in London and £14,000 outside of London
Where can I do a solicitor apprenticeship?
Here is a list of Legal 500 Future Lawyers firms currently offering solicitor apprenticeships. Please note this list is not exclusive and you should check each individual firm website: