Mr David Rosenthal > Dechert LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
Three Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas
NEW YORK, NY 10036-6797
- Go to...
Mr David Rosenthal
David S. Rosenthal, co-chair of Dechert’s Global Corporate Finance and Capital Markets Practice and co-lead of the firm’s Life Sciences Practice, represents publicly and privately held corporations, investment banks, and venture capital firms focused on the life sciences and medical device, technology, media, and other growth sectors. He represents clients in corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensings and strategic alliances.
Mr. Rosenthal regularly advises issuers and investment banks in public and private offerings of equity and debt, including IPOs, secondary offerings, confidentially marketed public offerings (CMPOs), at-the-market (ATM) financings, registered direct offerings, and PIPEs, as well as seed financings and later-stage venture capital financings. He also has particular experience counseling foreign private issuers in migrating to and listing on the U.S. stock exchanges. Mr. Rosenthal also counsels clients in general corporate matters, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance, and corporate governance, and often acts as outside general corporate and securities counsel to both emerging and publicly traded companies. These activities have included business and corporate planning and structuring as well as other contract negotiations, and contractual and other commercial dealings.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Rosenthal has represented buyers and sellers in leveraged and unleveraged mergers, acquisitions, and private equity transactions as well as divestitures and dispositions of business and subsidiaries. The American Lawyer selected Mr. Rosenthal as Dealmaker of the Week for his skillful representation of Inhibitex in its sale to Bristol-Myers Squibb for US$2.5 billion, which represented a 163 percent premium to the closing price of the company’s stock the day before the transaction signed, and is believed to be one of the largest premiums in deal history.
- Wesleyan University, B.A., cum laude
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
VISCHER provides ‘first-class legal advice’ to various TMT clients in the media and entertainment sector as well as regulated sectors, including the pharmaceuticals and financial services industries. The team has particular expertise in matters concerning data protection and security issues, including GDPR regulations and cloud-based data storage mandates, cross-border transactions and IT sourcing work. Rolf Auf der Maur specialises in digitalisation projects and online businesses, and David Rosenthal, who joined in mid-2020, handles IT matters with notable expertise in data privacy and e-discovery work. Christian Wyss focuses on IP and IT transactions.
VISCHER advises clients, which include fintech incubators, financial service providers and insurers, on projects involving crowdfunding platforms, mobile payments, cryptocurrencies and financial instruments, among others. The team, often including lawyers from the TMT, banking and tax teams, also represents clients in contentious matters and has previously provided policy-making advice to the Swiss government. Jana Essebier heads the team and is specialised in fintech matters. Stefan Grieder has specialist expertise in finance and capital markets and M&A-related matters and Christian Wyss is focused on insurance related tech-companies. David Rosenthal joined from Homburger in June of 2020.
VISCHER’s data privacy and data protection team advises companies on compliance matters relating to Swiss and EU data protection and data law requirements as well as the data-related aspects of commercial contracts and M&A transactions. The group has also seen an uptick in instructions to handle data protection-related disputes, including those related to data subject requests. David Rosenthal – an ‘expert in matters of data privacy and data protection’ – is at the forefront of developments in the industry and has been involved in the creation of a statistical method designed to assess the data law risks of foreign lawful access in cases of Swiss banks, hospitals and other operations with sensitive data held in the cloud. Rolf Auf der Maur advises companies primarily from the media, telecoms and IT sectors on all aspects of data law.
Dechert LLP has a solid background in Latin America offerings thanks to the experience of key New York partner Howard Kleinman, who is noted for financial services deals in Chile and other jurisdictions. The capital markets team is especially noted for transactions in the life sciences, permanent capital and financial services sectors, where it frequently advises on Reg S and other global offerings for US-based issuers. Boston’s Thomas Friedmann co-heads the corporate finance and capital markets team, alongside New York partner David Rosenthal.
Dechert LLP maintains notable strengths in key areas such as life sciences and permanent capital vehicles, including business development companies. The team also has additional focus on cross-border offerings. Thomas Friedmann in Boston co-heads the capital markets team and specializes in permanent capital vehicles and business development company transactions, while New York-based practice co-head David Rosenthal is recommended for equity offerings in the life sciences sector. New York partner Howard Kleinman is noted for cross-border offerings, including those originating out of Latin America.
Dechert LLP is active across all areas of the life sciences market, leveraging a strong corporate team advising on capital markets transactions, M&A and commercialization deals. The team is recognized for its strengths in finance and its experience assisting pharmaceutical companies with fundraising for Covid-19 treatments. Of recent note, the team represented a US-based financial services client in BioNTech’s $325m Series B financing round—one of the single largest private funding rounds for a biotech company in European history. Los Angeles-based Kimberly Branscome and Jay Bhimani joined from Kirkland & Ellis LLP, strengthening the product liability and mass torts practice. Co-chairs Andrea Reid and David Rosenthal are based in Boston and New York, respectively; product liability co-chair Mark Cheffo, patent litigator Katherine Helm and patent prosecutor Carl Morales are contacts in New York.
- Healthcare: life sciences - United States > Industry focus
- Capital markets: equity offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: global offerings - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Tax > International tax
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense