Mr David Rosenthal > Dechert LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
Three Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas
NEW YORK, NY 10036-6797
- Go to...
Mr David Rosenthal
David S. Rosenthal, co-chair of Dechert’s Global Corporate Finance and Capital Markets Practice and co-lead of the firm’s Life Sciences Practice, represents publicly and privately held corporations, investment banks, and venture capital firms focused on the life sciences and medical device, technology, media, and other growth sectors. He represents clients in corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensings and strategic alliances.
Mr. Rosenthal regularly advises issuers and investment banks in public and private offerings of equity and debt, including IPOs, secondary offerings, confidentially marketed public offerings (CMPOs), at-the-market (ATM) financings, registered direct offerings, and PIPEs, as well as seed financings and later-stage venture capital financings. He also has particular experience counseling foreign private issuers in migrating to and listing on the U.S. stock exchanges. Mr. Rosenthal also counsels clients in general corporate matters, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance, and corporate governance, and often acts as outside general corporate and securities counsel to both emerging and publicly traded companies. These activities have included business and corporate planning and structuring as well as other contract negotiations, and contractual and other commercial dealings.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Rosenthal has represented buyers and sellers in leveraged and unleveraged mergers, acquisitions, and private equity transactions as well as divestitures and dispositions of business and subsidiaries. The American Lawyer selected Mr. Rosenthal as Dealmaker of the Week for his skillful representation of Inhibitex in its sale to Bristol-Myers Squibb for US$2.5 billion, which represented a 163 percent premium to the closing price of the company’s stock the day before the transaction signed, and is believed to be one of the largest premiums in deal history.
- Wesleyan University, B.A., cum laude
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
With experience advising life sciences clients of all sizes, Dechert LLP acts on a mix of transactions, litigation and corporate financings. Its corporate arm has acted on numerous IPOs for clinical-stage biopharma teams, as well as follow on and early funding rounds. Other corporate work includes M&A, monetization agreements, and business immigration. Disputes are a key part of the team’s workload, advising on product liability cases, antitrust disputes, and IP litigation, with an emphasis on small molecules cases. The team is co-led by Boston-based IP advisor Andrea Reid and New York-based David S Rosenthal, who advises on financings. New York-based Katherine Helm is a key name for patent litigation. Boston-based Brenda Sharton is also noteworthy for her advice to Moderna on EU data privacy breaches.
Dechert LLP has a background in Latin America offerings, notably those originating from Chile and Mexico. New York partner Howard Kleinman is a seasoned Latin America specialist with an extensive record in debt offerings. The firm is also active in global offerings by US issuers, including those in the life sciences and permanent capital fields. Boston’s Thomas Friedmann and New York partner David S Rosenthal lead the capital markets practice.
Dechert LLP has maintained a strong presence in headline IPOs and other key engagements such as jurisdictional migrations; it represented Tiziana Life Sciences in its movement from listings on both the London Stock Exchange and NASDAQ, to a sole listing on NASDAQ. The life sciences, private credit and business development company sectors are particular key areas for the team. Thomas Friedmann, Boston managing partner and co-chair of the capital markets practice, is a prominent name in private credit and business development company offerings, and fellow co-chair of the team and New York partner David S Rosenthal is at the forefront of life sciences transactions.
- Healthcare: life sciences - United States > Industry focus
- Capital markets: equity offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: global offerings - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense