Seth Safra > Proskauer Rose LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Proskauer Rose LLP Offices
1001 PENNSYLVANIA AVE, N.W.
SUITE 600 SOUTH
WASHINGTON, DC 20004-2533
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Go to...
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT
Seth J. Safra is a partner in Proskauer’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group. Described by clients as “extremely knowledgeable, practical, and strategic,” Seth advises clients on compensation and benefit programs.
Seth’s experience covers a broad range of retirement plan designs, from traditional defined benefit to cash balance and floor-offset arrangements, ESOPs and 401(k) plans—often coordinating qualified and non-qualified arrangements. He also advises tax-exempt and governmental employers on 403(b) and 457 arrangements, as well as innovative new plan designs; and he advises on ERISA compliance for investments.
On the health and welfare side, Seth helps employers provide benefits that are cost-effective and competitive. He advises on plan design, including consumer-driven health plans with HSAs, retiree medical, fringe benefits, and severance programs, ERISA preemption, and tax and other compliance issues, such as nondiscrimination and cafeteria plan rules.
Seth also advises for-profit and non-profit employers on executive employment, deferred compensation, change in control, and equity and other incentive arrangements. In addition, he advises on compensation and benefits in corporate transactions.
Seth represents clients before the Department of Labor, IRS and other government agencies.
United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design(Leading lawyers)
Praised for its ‘keen ability to quickly clarify and explain complexities in a very effective and efficient manner’, Proskauer Rose LLP has demonstrable experience in handling a broad range of employee benefits and executive compensation matters. Practice co-leader Paul Hamburger has considerable expertise in advising on all aspects of employee benefit programs, from tax-qualified retirement and executive compensation plans to welfare benefit plans. The ‘meticulous’ Robert Projansky co-leads the practice alongside Hamburger from the firm’s office in New York, and notably acts for companies in the entertainment sector on the full range of employee benefits issues. Seth Safra is a key contact in the group and advises on qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, as well as 403(b) and 457 arrangements. New York-based Anthony Cacace acts as ERISA trust fund counsel to the boards of trustees for multi-employer pension and welfare benefit plans, while Justin Alex was promoted to partner in October 2021. Unless stated otherwise, all named attorneys are based in Washington DC.
Proskauer Rose LLP’s not-for-profit practice is led by Amanda Nussbaum from New York and handles domestic and international tax planning and transactional work for higher education institutions, professional sports leagues and hospitals. The group frequently represents clients in federal level litigation and has a strong employment offering; Seth Safra is the main contact here. Tax specialist David Miller has a busy pro-bono practice and advises on the operational matters for public charities. Jason Madden assists healthcare clients on regulatory issues including compliance and data privacy. The group has demonstrable strength in the sports sector and counts the Pac12 as a key clients. Healthcare lawyer Richard Zall departed in early 2021.
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design - United States > Labor and employment
- Leading lawyers - United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations) - United States > Tax
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > Financial products
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Industry focus > Sport
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Tax > International tax
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings