Ranajoy Basu > McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP Offices
- Go to...
Capital Markets/Structured Finance
Partner Ranajoy Basu focuses his practice on structured finance with key experience in debt capital markets transactions. He has a broad range of experience in international capital markets advising a wide range of participants, including arrangers, originators, servicers and trustees, in connection with the securitisation of a wide variety of assets in numerous jurisdictions, including emerging markets transactions.
Ranajoy has a particular focus on emerging markets transactions, and is recognised as an industry leader by both, Legal 500 and Chambers. He joins as the Head of the Firm’s India practice. He regularly advises on a broad range of capital markets and complex structured finance transactions including external foreign currency convertible bonds (FCCBs) and qualified institutional placements (QIPs) relating to India. He has advised banks on some of the largest corporate debt defaults and restructuring in India.
Ranajoy is recognised as one of the World’s leading lawyers in cross-border social impact finance structures, including social and development impact bonds, renewable energy and “green” structured finance transactions. Ranajoy has advised on some of the most innovative financial inclusion structures around the world, including the Educate Girls Social Impact Bond, which aims to improve the education of children in India, and the recent ground-breaking Utkrisht Bond, which is aimed at reducing maternal and infant mortality. Ranajoy continues to advise foundations, governments, NGOs, impact funds and financial institutions on structuring social impact finance solutions. He recently advised on the ground breaking International Finance Facility for Education, which is the largest funding mechanism targeting education programmes around the world.
Ranajoy is recognised as a pioneer in impact investment. His work has included the market leading ‘Educate Girls’ bond which was the first development impact bond of its kind. His clients have ranged from GAVI, UNICEF, World Bank, IFC, to governments, financial institutions, funds, charitable institutions, NGOs and microfinance institutions around the world. He has been involved on ground breaking work for Wattpad, Theirworld and The Global Business Coalition for Education.
View more at: https://www.mwe.com/people/ranajoy-basu/
King’s College London, LL.M., Banking & Finance Law
Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment, Islamic Finance
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP continues to build a strong presence in emerging markets work from its London office, having hired Ranajoy Basu and Priya Taneja two years ago. Both are experienced in finance transactions, including structured finance, complex securitisations, debt capital markets and high yield related deals, and they have at their disposal a range of talent in capital markets, corporate and M&A, banking and finance, commodities and derivatives matters. Corporate partner Mark Fine assisted Africa-focused oil and gas production and development company Sirius Petroleum PLC with the acquisition of a stake in COPDC Petroleum Development Company Limited, which has executed agreements with Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation to develop onshore projects. The firm is also active in cross-border disputes with litigator Andrew Savage and associate Romilly Holland key members of a team representing Amnesty International in various disputes with the Government of India, including advice on a potential investment treaty arbitration.
At McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP ‘the team concentrates on representing trustees, and you really need some pragmatic and commercial advice after the deal is done in the event of a restructuring or liability management exercise‘, notes one market source, adding that head of finance Ranajoy Basu is ‘the best at helping to facilitate and manage trustee-related issues‘. Counsel Priya Taneja has significant experience in highly complex cross-border transactions in emerging markets and she is ‘always available and finds a pragmatic solution‘.
- Leading individuals - London > Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Emerging markets - London > Industry focus
- High yield - London > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Finance > High yield
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employers
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech