Ms Melanie Howard > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Los Angeles, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
10100 SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
- Go to...
Ms Melanie Howard
Advanced Media & Technology
Chair, Intellectual Property Protection
Melanie Howard’s practice focuses on the acquisition, protection, licensing, exploitation and sale of intangible assets for major brands and individual talent. Known for her business-minded approach, she represents clients across a variety of industries, including fashion and luxury retail, esports, automotive, technology, entertainment and media, and financial.
Melanie currently serves as Secretary and Board member of Saving Innocence, a non-profit organization focused on combating sexual slavery and trafficking. She also maintains an active pro bono practice.
Harvard Law School, J.D.
Williams College, B.A.; Dean’s List; cum laude
Praised by clients for its ‘unmatched expertise in copyright litigation‘, Loeb & Loeb LLP is a key name in the market for representing content creators in the music and entertainment space. New York-based practice head Barry Slotnick, is a key name for high-profile litigation, having most recently represented hip hop duo Ryan Lewis and Macklemore in an infringement claim brought by a New Orleans-based jazz musician who claimed that the client’s hit single ‘Thriftshop’ illegally sampled one of his compositions. Other standout highlights included David Grossman in LA and Jonathan Zavin in New York defending Netflix against copyright infringement allegations made by a photographer concerning the client’s TV series Stranger Things. Also recommended in Los Angeles is Melanie Howard, who focuses on copyright protection and licensing, as well as acquisitions. Clients have also noted that the legal service they have ‘come to expect at the top extends behind the scenes and on the front lines‘. In particular, clients have singled out associate Sarah Schacter on the more junior end of the team.
United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
Loeb & Loeb LLP handles a full range of trademarks matters, covering protection and enforcement, transactions such as licensing and merchandising agreements, sponsorships, and brand integration deals. Los Angeles-based Melanie Howard heads the practice group and is highly experienced in the entertainment and fashion industries. Douglas Masters is a key name in the Chicago office; he acts for clients such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
- Copyright - United States > Intellectual property
- Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) - United States > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense