Mr Jonathan Zavin > Loeb & Loeb LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
345 PARK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10154
- Go to...
Mr Jonathan Zavin
Jonathan Zavin is a commercial litigator and intellectual property attorney with extensive experience in intellectual property matters, and has litigated scores of copyright and trademark cases. He has also advised major film studios, producers, recording companies and publishing companies on transactions in the entertainment and new media industries.
Jonathan’s commercial litigation background has been in areas as diverse as securities litigation (including Rule 10b-5 and RICO claims), litigation arising from the purchase and sale of large companies, employment discrimination litigation, FTC hearings involving the antitrust implications of an acquisition, commercial breach of contract actions and construction disputes.
At the request of the United States government, Jonathan has traveled to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Greece and South Africa to meet with various government ministries and industry groups regarding the protection of intellectual property rights.
Jonathan has lectured extensively on the subject of copyright law before law and industry organizations, including the Copyright Society of the U.S.A. and the American Bar Association. He is the author of articles addressing intellectual property issues. Jonathan is on the Editorial Board of the Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Case Law Weekly Update for Motion Picture Studios and Television Networks.
Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
St. John’s College, B.A.
Praised by clients for its ‘unmatched expertise in copyright litigation‘, Loeb & Loeb LLP is a key name in the market for representing content creators in the music and entertainment space. New York-based practice head Barry Slotnick, is a key name for high-profile litigation, having most recently represented hip hop duo Ryan Lewis and Macklemore in an infringement claim brought by a New Orleans-based jazz musician who claimed that the client’s hit single ‘Thriftshop’ illegally sampled one of his compositions. Other standout highlights included David Grossman in LA and Jonathan Zavin in New York defending Netflix against copyright infringement allegations made by a photographer concerning the client’s TV series Stranger Things. Also recommended in Los Angeles is Melanie Howard, who focuses on copyright protection and licensing, as well as acquisitions. Clients have also noted that the legal service they have ‘come to expect at the top extends behind the scenes and on the front lines‘. In particular, clients have singled out associate Sarah Schacter on the more junior end of the team.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense