Laura McCorquodale > Harper Macleod LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
45 GORDON STREET
- Go to...
Laura is a commercial litigator within our dispute resolution practice in Edinburgh – one of the most prominent litigation teams in Scotland – acting in some of the highest value and complex cases in the Court of Session.
Laura specialises in construction, engineering and intellectual property (in construction) disputes. She acts in a number of cases in the Ordinary, Commercial and Intellectual Property Courts (in particular, patent disputes); in Petitions (to the Nobile Officium; for Suspension and Interdict; and for Judicial Review); and in Appeals before the Inner House. Laura also represents clients in adjudications, arbitrations, mediations and has acted for clients in cases before the UK IPO and the UK Supreme Court.
Laura is a key contact in the firm when it comes to contentious construction disputes, acting for a wide range of clients from private individuals to employers in major construction projects. In addition to the usual contractual disputes regarding payment, delay and defects, Laura pursues and defends professional negligence claims against construction professionals. Laura leads the Firm’s Construction & Engineering Group, heads up “HM Construction Club”, co-leads our “Construction & Engineering Disputes” and “Construction & Engineering Contract Administration” teams and is a member of the Society of Construction Law.
Intellectual property is a valuable asset that is often overlooked in the construction industry. Laura’s experience in both sectors helps to bridge the gap for clients and ensure that their IP rights are being protected. Of particular note, Laura recently secured a successful result for an award-winning UK market leader in the provision of monitoring devices for use in the construction industry, which was the first patent litigation to be taken to Proof in Scotland for 8 years. As well as acting for clients in trade mark and patent disputes, Laura often addresses complex matters concerning unregistered rights and passing off. In addition to her work for key clients, Laura is the Firm’s “brand guardian”, often enforcing its IP rights against infringing third parties.
Advising clients at both pre-litigated and litigated stages means that Laura is acutely aware of the value and importance of continually assessing prospects of success, best method of recovery and potential scope for settlement – all whilst ensuring compliance with the statutory and regulatory environment within which the client operates.
Harper Macleod LLP combines its construction, projects and dispute resolution expertise to assist public sector clients, contractors and housing associations with the drafting and negotiation of building and engineering contracts – many of which pertain to the provision of social and affordable housing -, procurement law matters and associated disputes. Michael Conroy and infrastructure and projects head Euan Pirie are the main contacts for non-contentious work and Laura McCorquodale for construction and engineering disputes, including professional negligence claims.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning