Euan Pirie > Harper Macleod LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
CITYPOINT, 65 HAYMARKET TERRACE
- Go to...
Euan is head of our Infrastructure & Projects team, a key member of our Construction & Engineering Group and is one of Scotland’s most experienced construction, engineering and infrastructure lawyers. He a Law Society of Scotland Accredited Specialist in Construction Law.
Euan has successfully advised both public and private sector clients on complex and high value construction, engineering and infrastructure projects for more than 25 years. Euan’s recent track record covers projects in the following key sectors:
- Scottish Government’s hub initiative projects – Euan has advised on hub projects continuously since the launch of the initiative in 2009. He has been lead adviser on 12 signed hub DBFM contracts (including first two such projects to reach financial close in Scotland) and 31 signed hub DBDA contracts, with a combined works value of £797.5million.
- Major roads and other transport projects, including the £500 million M8 M73 M74 Motorways Improvement Project, the £745 million AWPR Project, the £590 million A465 project and the £300 million Aberdeen Harbour Expansion Project.
- Multiple construction contracts for the provision of affordable homes, including the largest residential Passivhaus project in Scotland, the largest social housing development delivered using exclusively modular construction technologies and Scotland’s first purpose built “village” development intended for occupation solely by post graduate students.
- Other significant energy efficiency led projects including the citywide replacement of street lighting in Edinburgh, a street lighting project for Glasgow city centre and a new community and education campus to be constructed to Passivhaus standards (likely to be Scotland’s largest Passivhaus construction project).
- Extensive involvement in advising on multiple contract management issues under operational PFI and PPP projects, including in relation to three of Scotland’s largest acute hospitals.
- Advising on the first two facilities management contracts procured in Scotland using the new nec 4 FMC (one of which relates to the Scotland wide estate of a major Scottish Public Body and is valued at c£75 million over the 5 year service period).
Euan has extensive knowledge of and is an expert in advising on negotiation of contracts procured under all major industry standard forms including hub DBDA, SBCC, JCT, nec, FIDIC and MF/1. He also regularly advises on PFI/PPP project agreements, development agreements and joint venture agreements.
LLB (Hons) Dip LP
The team at Harper Macleod LLP is adept in Scottish hub, operational, PPP, PFI, student accommodation and housing projects, among others. Practice head Euan Pirie has also recently overseen a handful of PFI hospital schemes meanwhile senior associate Catriona Kemp is carving out a prominent reputation for her work on the financing and corporate law aspects of projects.
Harper Macleod LLP combines its construction, projects and dispute resolution expertise to assist public sector clients, contractors and housing associations with the drafting and negotiation of building and engineering contracts – many of which pertain to the provision of social and affordable housing -, procurement law matters and associated disputes. Michael Conroy and infrastructure and projects head Euan Pirie are the main contacts for non-contentious work and Laura McCorquodale for construction and engineering disputes, including professional negligence claims.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning