Dominic Crossley > Payne Hicks Beach LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Payne Hicks Beach LLP Offices
10 NEW SQUARE
- Go to...
Dispute Resolution/Privacy and Media Law
Dominic specialises in the law of privacy, breach of confidence, defamation and harassment, but the nature of his clients and instructions has given rise to a very wide range of experience and legal expertise. For over two decades he has acted in leading cases and is well known for acting for high profile individuals including actors, preeminent businesspeople, prominent politicians, sportspersons and musicians. He is often instructed at times of crisis, and in relation to sensitive, complex issues for corporate entities as well as individuals. Inevitably, the majority of Dominic’s work is highly confidential, however, he has been involved in matters in the public domain including a number of cases in the High Court, and the highest appellate courts (including the European Court of Human Rights) that have helped develop the law of privacy and libel. Dominic has acted in Public Inquiries, including the Leveson Inquiry (he acted for all 53 “Core Participant Victims”), in the Family Division of the High Court and the Court of Appeal acting for Princess Haya in her proceedings and ground-breaking claims concerning the misuse of spyware and the welfare of her children against Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum. He acted for Steve Coogan in his phone-hacking claim and for Max Mosley in his 2008 case against the News of the World.
Partner at Payne Hicks Beach since 2014, Head of the Dispute Resolution department from 2018 and Member of the Payne Hicks Beach Management Board.
Dominic is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
With the acquisition of Solesbury Gay‘s sports team in October 2022, Payne Hicks Beach LLP continues to grow its full-service sports practice. The team is headed up by disputes specialist Mark Gay, who advises a wide-ranging roster of governing bodies, motorsport teams, and individual athletes on a range of disciplinary, contractual, and commercial disputes. Jonathan Gatward takes on employment, IP and sponsorship arrangements for an array of clients, with a particular specialism in the sailing space. Dominic Crossley heads up the dispute resolution, privacy and media law teams, while Hanna Basha notably advises footballers and boxers on privacy and defamation issues. James Townsend works on intersecting sport and employment law matters. Legal director Nick Grant is also recommended.
Payne Hicks Beach LLP has a broad range of expertise, regularly advising on issues relating to reputational attacks, pre-publication matters, defamation and unwanted media attention. This work is done on behalf of a series of prominent UHNWIs, as well as leading corporates. Dominic Crossley is an expert in breach of confidence, defamation and harassment matters, regularly acting for victims of crime and press misconduct. Hanna Basha has extensive experience in defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection, with particular expertise in pre-publication situations. Andrew Willan specialises in the crossover between cybersecurity, privacy and data protection matters.
The ‘innovative and dynamic team‘ at Payne Hicks Beach LLP handles disputes concerning finance (including financial services), commercial issues, fraud, insolvency, and professional negligence. The team is also instructed in company-related disputes, such as unfair prejudice claims. In addition to acting in media sector litigation, dispute resolution department head Dominic Crossley advises educational and sporting institutions, politicians, public sector bodies, and entrepreneurs; and Lucas Moore ‘identifies the quickest possible route to the solution‘. Providing further partner-level support are experienced commercial litigators Georgina Bayley, Ane Vernon and Paul Dorrans.
- Leading individuals London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Reputation management London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
- Sport London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Senior executives
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)