Hanna Basha > Payne Hicks Beach LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Payne Hicks Beach LLP Offices
10 NEW SQUARE
- Go to...
Dispute Resolution/Privacy and Media Law
Hanna is a recognised leader in the field of defamation, privacy and breach of confidence, having acted in a number of landmark cases in the High Court.
As well as litigation, Hanna has a wealth of experience in media and crisis management and advises clients on strategies for preventing and dealing with significant reputational attacks. She is able to put a responsive strategy in place quickly and effectively when clients are facing unwanted media attention. She skilfully manages media storms.
Hanna also acts for her clients in more general litigation, regulatory matters, employment disputes and inquests where maintaining reputation or privacy is key. She has been involved in a number of high profile inquests, disciplinary hearings, employment claims and sports disputes, representing clients in the High Court, before coroners and before governing and regulatory bodies.
Qualified 1999, solicitor at Schillings; partner at Carter-Ruck; partner Payne Hicks Beach.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Payne Hicks Beach LLP has a broad range of expertise, regularly advising on issues relating to reputational attacks, pre-publication matters, defamation and unwanted media attention. This work is done on behalf of a series of prominent UHNWIs, as well as leading corporates. Dominic Crossley is an expert in breach of confidence, defamation and harassment matters, regularly acting for victims of crime and press misconduct. Hanna Basha has extensive experience in defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection, with particular expertise in pre-publication situations. Andrew Willan specialises in the crossover between cybersecurity, privacy and data protection matters.
With the acquisition of Solesbury Gay‘s sports team in October 2022, Payne Hicks Beach LLP continues to grow its full-service sports practice. The team is headed up by disputes specialist Mark Gay, who advises a wide-ranging roster of governing bodies, motorsport teams, and individual athletes on a range of disciplinary, contractual, and commercial disputes. Jonathan Gatward takes on employment, IP and sponsorship arrangements for an array of clients, with a particular specialism in the sailing space. Dominic Crossley heads up the dispute resolution, privacy and media law teams, while Hanna Basha notably advises footballers and boxers on privacy and defamation issues. James Townsend works on intersecting sport and employment law matters. Legal director Nick Grant is also recommended.
The crime department at Payne Hicks Beach LLP, which sits within the wider disputes resolution practice, regularly advises high and ultra-high net worth individuals in a variety of criminal cases such as sexual assault, harassment, drugs offences, and cross-border crimes. The ‘utterly exceptional‘ Mark Jones leads the team, with support provided from Hanna Basha, Nick Grant, and associate Henry Watkinson.
The Payne Hicks Beach LLP defence and investigations group is regarded as being at the ‘forefront of innovation in this sector’, offering in-depth expertise in serious fraud matters and financial crime proceedings. Practice head Mark Jones is a ‘very impressive fraud lawyer’ who specialises in complex criminal investigations brought by the SFO and FCA since his arrival from Blake Morgan LLP in September 2022. Paul Dorrans focuses on fraud and financial crime issues, while Hanna Basha handles privacy and media-related work. Nick Grant and Henry Watkinson are also noted.
- Leading individuals London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Reputation management London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Crime: general London > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Sport London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals) London > Crime, fraud and licensing
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Senior executives
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)