Demetrius Danas > Irwin Mitchell > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
40 HOLBORN VIADUCT
- Go to...
Personal legal services.
Demetrius has more than 20 years’ experience in the field of international personal injury claims. He has particular expertise in litigating catastrophic injury claims in the courts of England and Wales arising out of accidents occurring abroad. He has also successfully pursued claims on behalf of clients in over 30 foreign jurisdictions worldwide. The international personal injury law arena gives rise to special considerations of jurisdiction and choice of law issues. Demetrius is at the forefront of this specialism, regularly acting in ground breaking cases arising out of the application of ‘Brussels I’ (Council Regulation (EC) No 44/2001 of 22 December 2000) and ‘Rome II’ (Council Regulation (EC) No. 864/2007 of 11 January 2009). His knowledge and experience of the application of foreign law rules on the assessment of damages in high-value cases litigated in England and Wales is second to none. Demetrius also has a keen interest in accidents arising out of skiing/snowboarding and shipping and has previously acted in a case involving serious spinal injuries on board the QEII.
Qualified Penningtons 1995; associate Irwin Mitchell 2003; partner 2006.
Travel and Tourism Lawyers Association (TATLA) committee member; fellow of The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL); Pan-European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL).
St Benedict’s School; University of Westminster (LLB Hons 2(1)); University of Cambridge (LLM Hons 2(1)).
Travel, food, wine.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Tracey Storey leads the international serious injury team nationally at Irwin Mitchell, working on a range of high-value, cross-border claims. The diversity of the team allows them to communicate in various languages, lending support to the practice’s cross-jurisdictional focus. Key team members include Demetrius Danas, who represented bereaved families and those injured in the Tunisia terrorist attack in 2015, and has vast experience in international litigation. Senior associate Kylie Hutchison has also been part of the team representing individuals affected by the Tunisian attack with their claims against tourism group TUI. Jennifer Lund is another respected partner; a dual-qualified solicitor/barrister with linguistic capabilities to cater to Spanish and Latin American clients. Notably, the team has been acting on behalf of sixteen claimants against Boeing following the Boeing 737 crash in 2019.
The majority APIL-accredited personal injury team at Irwin Mitchell is co-led by heads of serious injury Richard Geraghty and Tracey Storey, and regional lead partner Alison Eddy, who specialises in adult and childr brain and spinal catastrophic injury claims. The team’s workload consists of legally and emotionally complex claims of value in the multi-millions, with the Tunisian terror attack multi-party action being one recent example of this. Demetrius Danas, who has significant experience of litigating abroad, having pursued cases in over fifty jurisdictions worldwide, leads the sub-team which focuses specifically on international claims. Additionally, there is a sub-team specialising in workplace disease and asbestos claims, helmed by Ian Bailey and lead partner on the recent landmark Court of Appeal case Rix v Paramount Shopfitting, Joanne Jefferies. Extensive rehabilitation and financial support services are offered to clients both pre- and post-settlement, in the form of the dedicated support and rehabilitation co-ordination service. Sarah Griggs, Leane Shanks and the ‘superb’ Chani Dhaliwal are also noteworthy members of the team.
- Leading individuals - London > Transport > Travel
- Personal injury: claimant - London > Insurance
- Travel - London > Transport
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Court of protection
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Insurance > Product liability: claimant
- Transport > Travel
- Public sector > Civil liberties and human rights
- Employment > Employees/unions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Costs lawyers
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Senior executives
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Employers