Mr Eric Stupp > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Zurich, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
- Go to...
Mr Eric Stupp
Banking & Insurance; Funds & Structured Products; Mergers & Acquisitions; Internal Investigation & Crossborder Proceedings; Real Estate; Capital Markets; Listed Companies; Corporate Governance & Board Advisory
Eric Stupp heads Bär & Karrer’s financial services department and co-heads the internal investigation and cross-border proceedings team. His practice focuses on advising banks, insurance companies, asset managers and other financial intermediaries on regulatory matters, enforcement proceedings and on M&A transactions.
In recent years, he has regularly advised financial institutions and regulatory bodies in connection with internal investigations on cross-border issues. In particular, he has assisted clients in numerous proceedings initiated by the US Department of Justice, the New York Department of Financial Services and other US or European authorities.
Eric Stupp is a regular speaker at expert conferences addressing these matters. He was a member of Bär & Karrer’s management committee for eight years. He is the vice-chairman of the board of directors of Goldman Sachs Bank AG, Zurich and a member of the boards of other financial and nonprofit institutions.
IFLR 1000 2016 and Who’s Who Legal 2015 list Eric Stupp as one of the leading banking lawyers in Switzerland. Eric Stupp is listed as a leading lawyer in The Legal 500 in the category Hall of Fame. In 2018, the Weizmann Institute of Science awarded Eric Stupp the Doctor of Philosophy honoris causa for his professional achievements and his support of scientific research carried out in the Institute.
- Weizmann Institute of Science: phD honoris causa (2018)
- Member of the board of directors of Bär & Karrer AG (2007-2011)
- Member of the management board of Bär & Karrer (2003-2007)
- Partner of Bär & Karrer (since 2000)
- Associate at Bär & Karrer (1994)
- Journalist trainee at the Neue Zürcher Zeitung (1992)
- Law Clerk at the Appelate Court of the Canton of St. Gallen (1991)
- Trainee at a Swiss law firm (1990)
German, French, English
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Member of the Specialist Committee Legal & Compliance of the Swiss Funds & Asset Management Association (SFAMA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Recognized Representative for the Listing of Securities at the SIX Swiss Exchange
- Member of Steering Committee Forum of Financial Institutions Enforcement, USA
- University of Chicago: LL.M. (1996)
- Admitted to the St. Gallen Bar (1994)
- University of St. Gallen: lic. iur. HSG (1989)
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Bär & Karrer Ltd. acts for a wide range of clients, from start-ups to established financial companies and service providers as well as investors, on all legal and regulatory issues relating to fintech, including fintech-focused transactions. Typical work includes assistance with regulatory proceedings with authorities as well as advice on the establishing of electronic payment services, electronic money solutions, digital assets, crypto currencies, as well as advice on online platforms for bond issuance and consumer loans. The ‘exceptional‘ Eric Stupp and Daniel Flühmann head the ‘responsive, progressive and very knowledgeable‘ team and are experienced in advising on internal investigations on cross-border issues and on the legal framework for applications of blockchain technology respectively. Gadi Winter and Peter Hsu are further key contacts.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is well respected for its full-service offering across the board with banking, capital markets and insurance as well as corporate, M&A, real estate and dispute resolution particular strengths. Christoph Neeracher, Mariel Hoch, Rolf Watter, Ralph Malacrida, Corrado Rampini and Susanne Schreiber cover all facets of M&A transactions, including venture capital and real estate transactions as well as the corresponding tax aspects. Banking, finance and insurance issues are handles by Peter Hsu and Eric Stupp. Private client specialist Tina Wüstemann and litigation and arbitration expert Andreas Länzlinger are also noted. Daniel Bader has profound knowledge of tax matters while Michele Bernasconi is a sports law specialist.
Clients from the banking, insurance, pharmaceutical, technology, manufacturing and infrastructure regularly seek out Bär & Karrer Ltd. for its broad expertise in corporate governance, compliance organisation and processes and regulatory queries. The team is particularly strong in white-collar crime matters and conducting internal investigations. Practice co-head Andreas Länzlinger combines experience in dispute resolution, compliance and investigations. Co-head Eric Stupp has know-how in dealing with financial services clients. Geneva-based duo Saverio Lembo and Andrew Garbarski are key contacts for white-collar matters.
- Fintech - Switzerland
- Hall of Fame - Switzerland > Banking and finance: Zurich
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
- Leading Individuals - Switzerland > Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Public law
- Real estate and construction
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Sports law