Dr Ralph Malacrida > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Zurich, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
- Go to...
Dr Ralph Malacrida
Ralph Malacrida specializes in M&A and corporate finance transactions, including venture capital transactions, structured and acquisition finance as well as capital markets. He has extensive experience in complex corporate restructurings. Ralph Malacrida is co-head of the M&A practice and heads the Finance practice.
He has a strong track record advising clients on domestic and international M&A and finance transactions, successfully executing deals for sellers, buyers, finance providers, borrowers and issuers.
Ralph Malacrida is a member of the board of directors of several Swiss companies. He is ranked as a leading lawyer in IFLR 1000 2018, Legal 500 (2017), Chambers Europe (2017) and Chambers Global (2017).
- Member of the Management Board of Bär & Karrer (2006-2011)
- Partner of Bär & Karrer (since 2000)
- Co-head of former London Office (1999-2002)
- Associate at Bär & Karrer (1995)
- Law Clerk at the District Court of Zurich (1992-1993)
- Teaching and Research Assistant at the University of Zurich (1990-1991)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Recognized Representative for the Listing of Securities at the SIX Swiss Exchange
- The Law Society, London (affiliate status)
- The Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME)
- University of Pennsylvania (Law School/Wharton Business School): LL.M. (1995)
- Admitted to the Zurich Bar (1994)
- University of Zurich: Dr. iur. (1992)
- University of Zurich: lic.iur. (1989)
Switzerland > Banking and finance: Zurich
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is best known for handling financing deals, derivative transactions and debt structuring, as well as banking M&A. Regulatory advice, enforcement proceedings and investigations are additional focus areas. Peter Hsu advised Tellco Vorsorge on its acquisition of private bank Dominick Company, while Rashid Bahar acted for HQLAx on the first live securities lending transaction via R3’s Corda blockchain platform. Eric Stupp acted for Copernicus during the establishment of a Swiss holding company and application for a FINMA licence. Transaction partner Ralph Malacrida, internal investigation practice lead Andreas Länzlinger and fintech partner Daniel Flühmann are other names to note.
Switzerland > Capital markets(Leading individuals)
Bär & Karrer Ltd. handles IPOs, capital transactions, equity-related matters, bond and notes issuance, as well as private placements and recapitalisation programmes. Thomas Reutter acted for syndicate banks Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs on a combined offering worth CHF505m on the placement of shares and senior convertible bonds of Idorsia. Another highlight was its advice to the syndicate banks on Klingelnberg’s CHF241m IPO. Swiss Re, Ceva Logistics and Novartis are among its other clients. M&A and finance lead Ralph Malacrida and transaction partner Rolf Watter are other core team members. Till Spillmann left for Niederer Kraft Frey AG at the beginning of 2018.
Switzerland > Commercial, corporate and M&A
With a long-standing track record in public and private M&A and private equity transactions, as well as a sizeable corporate and regulatory team advising in all parts of Switzerland, Bär & Karrer Ltd. is one of the best known local practices. Banking M&A specialist Ralph Malacrida led advice to BZ Bank on the acquisition of United Grinding Group, while Christoph Neeracher assisted Porterhouse with its purchase of clinic group Paracelsus. Mariel Hoch and Thomas Reutter assisted Clearstream International with buying all shares in Swisscanto Funds Centre. Rolf Watter is another name to note.
Switzerland > Insolvency and corporate recovery
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is best known for applying its corporate and transactional experience to out-of-court restructurings, as well as assisting clients from the financial sector with recovery and resolution planning, regulatory intervention and insolvency proceedings. In recent work, Cédric Chapuis is advising Standard Chartered Bank on the voluntary liquidation and wind-down of its Swiss private banking subsidiary, and is also chairing the creditors’ commission in Banque Privée Espírito Santo’s liquidation. Insolvency specialist Thomas Rohde and transactions partner Ralph Malacrida jointly head the practice.
Switzerland > Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
Bär & Karrer Ltd. in Zurich and Zug impresses with ‘partner commitment, responsiveness, legal expertise in various areas and good communication‘. The full-service firm is especially renowned in banking and finance, capital markets, corporate and M&A, as well as competition, dispute resolution, white-collar criminal law, insurance, private client and sports law. Key lawyers include Eric Stupp, Ralph Malacrida and Thomas Reutter, Christoph Neeracher, Peter Hsu, Tina Wüstemann, Susanne Schreiber and Michele Bernasconi.
- Banking and finance: Zurich - Switzerland
- Capital markets - Switzerland
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Switzerland
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
- Leading individuals - Switzerland > Capital markets
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Public law
- Real estate and construction
- Sports law