Dr Peter Hsu > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Zurich, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
- Go to...
Dr Peter Hsu
Peter Hsu is Bär & Karrer’s key contact for the practice area of banking and insurance. His practice focuses on banking, insurance, financing and capital markets. He regularly advises Swiss and foreign banks, securities dealers, insurers and other financial intermediaries as well as fintech businesses with regard to a wide range of regulatory, contract law and corporate law matters. Moreover, he often advises clients on M&A transactions.
Peter Hsu has published several books and articles on topics in banking, insurance and capital markets and is regularly invited to speak on these topics.
Peter Hsu is ranked as a leading individual in the practice areas of Banking & Finance as well as Insurance & Reinsurance and listed as “most highly regarded” practitioner in Insurance & Reinsurance (Who’s Who Legal 2018). The Legal 500 2014 refers to him as a “key individual within the banking and insurance sector” and recommends him for insurance advice. In Who’s Who Legal, he is quoted as “the ‘go-to guy’ for clients in need of insurance and reinsurance regulatory advice” (2013, 2018) and “key player in the Swiss insurance and reinsurance regulatory field” (2014) and wins praise for his “unparalleled abilities”. In addition, he is described as “extremely knowledgeable” in insurance and regulatory matters, lauded for his “business oriented approach” (2016) and it is further noted that “he is not only an expert on regulatory topics, but also has a very profound understanding of other legal areas”. Moreover, he is praised for “his pragmatic approach to resolve legal issues” (2018). In IFLR 1000, a client characterizes him as “very knowledgeable, detail-oriented and very open to novel solutions and approaches” (2016).
- Partner at Bär & Karrer (since 2009)
- Associate at Bär & Karrer (2002-2003 and 2004-2008)
- Law Clerk to the Labour court at the District Court of Zurich (2000-2001)
- Law Clerk to the District Court of Zurich (2000)
- Inhouse counsel at SWX Swiss Exchange/Ad hoc publicity (1997-1999)
- Research assistant to Prof. Dr. H.C. von der Crone at the University of Zurich (1996-1997)
- AIDA Swiss Chapter (Member of the Organising Committee)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Swiss Society for Liability and Insurance Law (SGHVR)
- Co-editor of the Basler Commentary on the Insurance Supervision Act (ISA)
- Board member of Jyske Bank (Schweiz) AG (2015/2016)
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law: LL.M. (2004)
- New York Bar (not practicing) (2004)
- Admitted to the Zurich Bar (2002)
- University of Zurich: Dr. iur. (1999)
- University of Zurich: lic. iur. (1995)
Bär & Karrer Ltd. offers a full-service practice to its clients from the insurance and reinsurance industry, including local and national insurers, insurance groups and intermediaries. A specialty of the team is advice regarding insurance sector-specific M&A and financings, such as portfolio transfers under the Swiss Insurance Supervision Act, share and asset deals, mergers, voluntary group restructurings and cross-border relocations. Practice head Peter Hsu ‘is an outstanding lawyer‘ who advises insurers, reinsurers and insurance intermediaries on regulatory, corporate, M&A and contract law issues and represents them in enforcement proceedings.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. acts for a wide range of clients, from start-ups to established financial companies and service providers as well as investors, on all legal and regulatory issues relating to fintech, including fintech-focused transactions. Typical work includes assistance with regulatory proceedings with authorities as well as advice on the establishing of electronic payment services, electronic money solutions, digital assets, crypto currencies, as well as advice on online platforms for bond issuance and consumer loans. The ‘exceptional‘ Eric Stupp and Daniel Flühmann head the ‘responsive, progressive and very knowledgeable‘ team and are experienced in advising on internal investigations on cross-border issues and on the legal framework for applications of blockchain technology respectively. Gadi Winter and Peter Hsu are further key contacts.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is well respected for its full-service offering across the board with banking, capital markets and insurance as well as corporate, M&A, real estate and dispute resolution particular strengths. Christoph Neeracher, Mariel Hoch, Rolf Watter, Ralph Malacrida, Corrado Rampini and Susanne Schreiber cover all facets of M&A transactions, including venture capital and real estate transactions as well as the corresponding tax aspects. Banking, finance and insurance issues are handles by Peter Hsu and Eric Stupp. Private client specialist Tina Wüstemann and litigation and arbitration expert Andreas Länzlinger are also noted. Daniel Bader has profound knowledge of tax matters while Michele Bernasconi is a sports law specialist.
Bär & Karrer Ltd.‘s strong banking and finance practice is regularly sought after by major Swiss banks, Swiss affiliates of foreign banks and financial institutions. The team is active in the regulatory space, where it advises clients on the establishment of operations, fintech, regulatory enforcement proceedings, and US investigations. Furthermore, the practice has also expertise in representing lenders and borrowers in debt financings, leveraged and syndicated deals, as well as acquisition, real estate, and project finance, among others. The prominent practitioners are Eric Stupp, Ralph Malacrida, Peter Hsu, Andreas Länzlinger, and Daniel Flühmann.
|Switzerland: Blockchain||October 2021||This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Blockchain laws and regulations that may occur in Switzerland.|
- Banking and finance: Zurich - Switzerland
- Fintech - Switzerland
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
- Insurance - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Public law
- Real estate and construction
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Sports law