Prof Dr Andrew Garbarski > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Geneva, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
12 QUAI DE LA POSTE
1211 GENÈVE 11
- Go to...
Prof Dr Andrew Garbarski
Andrew M. Garbarski specializes in white collar crime, administrative criminal law, international judicial and administrative assistance, as well as financial and commercial litigation and insolvency. During recent years, Andrew M. Garbarski’s work has encompassed, among others, complex multi-jurisdictional financial crime and asset recovery matters, as well as the representation of clients before the Swiss prosecution authorities and courts.
Andrew M. Garbarski teaches white collar crime and criminal procedure law as Professor at the University of Lausanne and regularly publishes in his practice areas.
Andrew Garbarski is listed by Who’s Who Legal as a leader in Switzerland for business crime defence, investigations and asset recovery, and as a “Future Leader” (2018-20) for investigations. Chambers and Partners lists him as “Band 3” in their white-collar crime category. He is also listed as a “Rising Star” in the white-collar crime category by Euromoney Legal Media Group (Expert Guides, LMG Rising Stars 2015, 2016 and 2017).
Andrew Garbarski was recently appointed by the Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) as member of the Working Group dealing with the modernisation of the Administrative Criminal Law.
- Partner at Bär & Karrer (since 2014)
- Secondment at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, London (June 2012 – December 2012)
- Associate at Bär & Karrer (2007-2013)
- Admitted to the Geneva Bar (2007)
- Trainee at Bär & Karrer (2005-2007)
French, German, English
- Specialized forum for criminal law (OdA)
- Geneva Business Law Association (AGDA)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- Geneva Bar Association (OdA)
- Member of the editorial committee of Collection juridique lausannoise
- Member of the Comitee of the Geneva Young Lawyers Bar (Comité du Jeune Barreau) (2006-2007)
- Member of Center for Business Law (CEDIDAC)
- University of Lausanne: Professor in White Collar Crime and Criminal Procedure Law (2018)
- University of Lausanne: Dr. iur. (2005)
- University of Lausanne: Research assistant to Prof. Dr. Denis Tappy (2003-2005)
- University of Lausanne: lic. iur. (2003)
Bär & Karrer Ltd. advises Swiss banks, the Swiss affiliates of foreign banks and a variety of other financial institutions on all types of contractual, regulatory and compliance matters as well as on civil, criminal and enforcement proceedings. The practice is well-known for its acquisition finance strength, in particular for private equity borrowers, and has further experience in complex structured derivatives transactions and fintech projects. The ‘super responsive‘ team is headed by the ‘highly knowledgeable‘ Cédric Chapuis and and includes other key members Martin Anderson and Andrew Garbarski.
With ‘a first-rate mentality, quality and reliability’, Bär & Karrer Ltd. handles a broad range of complex, high-profile international disputes, leveraging the foreign law expertise of several of its team members. The group also has bases in Zurich, Zug, Geneva and Lugano, covering all the Swiss language regions and allowing for full coverage of the local jurisdictions. The practice particularly stands out for its M&A, IT and IP litigation experience with additional sector-based expertise in the pharmaceuticals, energy, financial services, technology, sport and transportation industries. Matthew Reiter heads up the department from Zurich, which is also the base for Daniel Hochstrasser, Andreas Länzlinger (who leads the internal investigations practice), Nadja Jaisli Kull and newly promoted partner Cinzia Catelli. White-collar crime specialists Saverio Lembo and Andrew Garbarski and head of the civil litigation team Aurélie Conrad Hari are based in Geneva, while Cesare Jermini is a key name in Lugano.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. has a strong core competence in dispute resolution where Saverio Lembo, Alexandra Johnson, Aurélie Conrad Hari and Pierre-Yves Gunter are the key practitioners and Andrew Garbarski is noted for his support in investigations and white-collar criminal law. Frédéric Bétrisey, Cédric Chapuis and Martin Anderson are the key individuals handling banking and finance transactions, regulatory matters for banks and financial institutions as well as international M&A transactions.
Clients from the banking, insurance, pharmaceutical, technology, manufacturing and infrastructure regularly seek out Bär & Karrer Ltd. for its broad expertise in corporate governance, compliance organisation and processes and regulatory queries. The team is particularly strong in white-collar crime matters and conducting internal investigations. Practice co-head Andreas Länzlinger combines experience in dispute resolution, compliance and investigations. Co-head Eric Stupp has know-how in dealing with financial services clients. Geneva-based duo Saverio Lembo and Andrew Garbarski are key contacts for white-collar matters.
- Dispute resolution: litigation - Switzerland
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations - Switzerland
- Banking and finance: Geneva - Switzerland
- Leading firms: French-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Public law
- Real estate and construction
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Sports law