Addleshaw Goddard’s energy and utilities team is a leader across the breadth of traditional and cutting-edge sectors. Richard Goodfellow advises on downstream energy projects, district heating deals and, alongside managing associate Alex Clayton, provides niche expertise in procurement projects for smart metering. David Shaw handles supply contracts for gas-fired power projects while James Reynolds is a go-to name for decommissioning programmes in the nuclear sector. On the renewables side, the group handles offshore wind farm transactions and development projects in the bioenergy, solar and hydrogen industries; the latter is led by director Sara Gilmore . Paul Dight has a key practice in deals concerning electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and John Emerton handles energy-related litigation, particularly in the oil and gas sector.
Infrastructure and energy in Yorkshire And The Humber
‘Addleshaw Goddard have a highly practical, thoughtful and commercial approach, seeking to clearly understand the business, issues and our objectives before using their creativity, experience and knowledge to achieve the best outcome.‘
‘Richard Goodfellow has been a great relationship partner and is always quick to respond, keen to help and provides swift, helpful solutions.‘
‘I enjoyed working with Alex Clayton, who has provided a good range of support on various matters.‘
‘Ben Feather managed his team well to help a very tight time frame and complex deal across the line.‘
Macquarie Principal Finance
National Grid Electricity Transmission
Northern Ireland Electricity Networks Limited
Foresight Metering Limited
Low Carbon Contracts Company
Muse Developments Limited
Scotia Gas Networks (SGN)
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
Leeds City Council
- Advised VW Germany on the electric vehicle workstream of its global alliance with Ford.
- Handling the second phase of SSE Electricity’s smart metering procurement programme for what will be several million smart meters from its meter asset provider Maple.
- Advising Peel Energy on its wind farm interests, including the disposal of two farms to Foresight Group and Ingenious.
DLA Piper handles landmark international projects in the energy sector from its Leeds base under the leadership of Natasha Luther-Jones, who is also the firm’s global co-chair of energy and natural resources. Recent matters include high-value offshore wind farm financing work and development mandates involving corporate PPAs across the EU. Jennifer Keogh is a stand-out senior associate. On the domestic front, government bodies instruct the team on public tender programmes for solar power projects. The large team of infrastructure professionals is fronted by Robert Smith . Government bodies, local authorities and private sector clients engage the team on PFI and PPP transactions, rail franchise agreements, rolling stock procurements and transport infrastructure issues.
‘We have worked with the projects team for many years, and the depth of knowledge that they are able to provide of our contract is unique because of that. The great weakness with projects contracts is that those procuring and bidding for them seldom see it through to managing the contract. That isn’t a weakness that we have in working with DLA.’
‘Carla Hancock’s knowledge of our contract is superb, but she also has a very good understanding of our organisation and business needs. This depth of knowledge is a key reason for working with DLA and has enabled us to successfully complete a number of very complex pieces of work with the firm.’
Greencoat UK Wind
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
European Federation of Energy Traders
City of London Corporation
GE Renewable Energy
Department for Transport
Tyne & Wear PTE (Nexus)
Birmingham City Council
Mitsubishi UFG Financial Group (MUFG) also known as BTMU
Henry Boot Developments
- Advising DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale as the lender for the 254MW Project Stavro wind park in Sweden. The deal involved two corporate PPAs, seven investors and 11 jurisdictions.
- Advising the Department for Transport on the £1.4bn Thameslink Rolling Stock Project.
- Advising Highways England on a suite of projects including the Dartford Free Flow Charging Stage 2.
Pinsent Masons LLP
As one of the leading names in energy and infrastructure nationally, Pinsent Masons LLP’s Leeds team handles significant UK and international projects spanning renewable energy, public infrastructure and conventional power generation issues. Team leader Melanie Grimmitt advises on large-scale offshore wind projects, while Stacey Collins is handling complex LNG-to-LPG projects. With a planning and consenting focus, Jonathan Riley has a solid name in the nuclear power sector and advises on UK-wide projects; he is also advising public bodies on national roads projects. John Bruce has strength in the field of bioenergy; he has advised on several innovative energy-from-waste projects.
Renew Holdings Plc
Drax Group Plc
Amey Group Plc
Kier Infrastructure and Overseas Ltd
E ON A.G. Group
RWE A.G. Group
BH EnergyGap Group
Cyden Homes Limited
Balfour Beatty Group
Johnson Matthey Plc
Laing O’Rourke Group
Yorkshire Ventures Group
University of Leeds
University of Huddersfield
Royal Bam Group
Scottish Power Group
Samsung C&T Corporation
China Triumph International Engineering Co Ltd
University of Leeds
Homes England Group
Black & Veatch Group
University of Sheffield
Sembcorp Industries Ltd
Carlton Power/Wainstones Energy
Green Investment Group
London Array Limited
Flogas Britain Limited (part of DCC Group PLC)
Avara Foods Limited
VPI Immingham LLP / VPI Immingham B Limited
- Advised Statkraft on the installation and operation of Ireland’s first grid-scale battery storage project as part of the hybrid battery-and-wind Kilathmoy initiative.
- Advising Flogas on its project to convert the National Grid liquefied natural gas facility at Avonmouth into a liquefied petroleum gas storage terminal.
- Advising Leeds City Council on the delivery of the five-mile East Leeds Orbital Road: a dual carriageway intended to unlock land for 5k new homes in the East Leeds Extension.
Squire Patton Boggs' energy and infrastructure practice focuses on domestic offshore wind farms, public infrastructure mandates and innovative gas-from-waste projects. Practice co-head Richard Glover is noted for advising local authorities and utilities companies across the UK on complex compulsory purchase orders and compensation matters, while David Hardy handles planning matters (including litigation) for onshore wind farm projects and battery storage facilities. On the international side, practice co-head James Duckworth advises on oil and gas, waste water and combined power projects in the Middle East, while Matthew Mulqueen assists with landmark offshore wind projects in the US.
‘Specialist expertise in a niche arena makes the team unique when compared to competitors. Excellent at bringing together a range of skills from across the firm to provide a package of advice on complex topics.‘
‘Richard Glover’s experience and expertise is unparalleled and respected across the electricity distribution sector.‘
Muse Developments Limited
Leeds City Region Revolving Investment Fund LLP
Black Cat Engineering and Construction
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S
Frontier Investment Management Denmark
Chania Green Generation Co. Ltd
NKT Cables A/S
Global Wind Services US, Inc.
Selenkei Investment Limited and Cedate Limited
Capital and Centric
Taqat Development Co
GSC Holdings (Pty) Limited
EnergieKontor (UK) Limited
UK Power Networks
Northern Gas Networks
Northern Power Grid
Egdon Resources UK Limited
- Appointed by MHI Vestas Offshore Wind to handle the supply and installation agreement for the 800MW Vineyard Wind Offshore Wind Farm; the first commercial-scale offshore project in the US.
- Assisted with the establishment of the Leeds City Region Revolving Investment Fund, which was recently involved in the development of 150 energy efficient timber frame houses in 162 apartments.
- Partnering with PricewaterhouseCoopers Dubai to advise a GCC government on its current PPP legislative and regulatory framework, including the development of strategy, policy and regulatory guidelines.
Sheffield-based Fraser Askham leads on CMS ’ infrastructure mandates, which span contentious and non-contentious applications. Recent projects, which are often under a PFI, include education, urban regeneration, hospital and waste projects.
Shoosmiths LLP’ infrastructure and energy practice head James Wood-Robertson specialises in renewable energy and energy-from-waste projects, advising on financing and refinancing matters, project leasings, PPP transactions, power purchase agreements and all other required transactional activity. Retained clients include domestic and international financial institutions, energy providers and AIFs.
‘Shoosmiths have provided excellent broad based and focused support to our project to date. They have assisted us in structuring our overall proposition and in developing a project that is suitable for investment. Nothing has been a problem for them and we have received real value from their team.‘
‘James Wood-Robertson has been the partner on our project and a key member of our overall delivery team. James has worked with us on structuring our overall proposition and has been clear with us on the risks that we need to be taking into account. I have worked with a lot of lawyers on projects throughout my career – James stands out from a very good crowd!‘
General Energy Solutions
- Advised a leading UK infrastructure fund on all aspects of its bid to acquire a major UK data centre.
- Advising a German wind farm developer on the development of two subsidy-free 50MW onshore wind farms in Scotland, including the negotiation of corporate power purchase agreements that will underpin the future financing of the projects.
- Advising Lombard on the refinancing of Scotland’s largest community-owned wind farm, located on South Uist.
Walker Morris LLP draws expertise from its real estate, projects, construction and finance departments to handle national, low-carbon infrastructure projects for public and private clients. Practice head Ben Sheppard has extensive experience advising on waste and energy-from-waste projects, while Jules Harbage recently assisted with the engineering contracts for energy and gas storage projects. Gwendoline Davies focuses on energy litigation, notably acting for renewable energy providers in damages claims. The team also advises on rail and housing projects. Judith Pike is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Walker Morris has supported us on delivering a number of large-scale energy infrastructure projects that have contributed to delivering our strategic sustainability objectives. I have confidence in Walker Morris due to their breadth of experience and knowledge within the industry. The team are always accessible, and make themselves available as required often at short notice.‘
‘Friendly, professional team with excellent expertise in low and zero carbon technologies such as solar PV, battery storage and gas generation.‘
‘We find the practice is flexible and client focused. This helps them to meet our requirements in an efficient manner.‘
‘Walker Morris have provided a great service to us. Their wide knowledge base enables them to deal with complex issues quickly and always with a sound, commercial approach. Communication and management of issues is very good and work is always well considered.‘
‘Ben Sheppard is responsive, clear and efficient.‘
‘Ben Sheppard stands out for his outstanding knowledge in the energy infrastructure projects that we have engaged him on. The area of sustainable energy is very complex with a minefield of government legislation and subsidies and is constantly developing. Ben ensures that his knowledge is always at the forefront of what is achievable within the sector, and his advice has proven invaluable on a number of occasions. He is always professional, proactive and pragmatic with a clear commercial mindset.‘
‘Jules Harbage is a font of knowledge on NEC contracting and we utilise his expertise constantly on small matters to ensure we are protected from low risk, high-impact disputes.‘
Cumbria County Council
Earth Capital Limited
Oil & Pipeline Agency
Thorpe Park Developments Limited
- Provided Port of Tilbury London with letting and transactional advice for the construction of a freight ferry port on the Thames.
- Advised waste contractor FCC Environment on numerous commercial and real estate contracts relating to HS2.
- Advised infrastructure group Renew Holdings on its acquisition of a highway engineering services company.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP handles transactions involving mainstream energy projects with expertise in wind farms and anaerobic-digestion facilities. Group co-head Andrew Oliver is a key name for offshore wind farm issues, particularly concerning displacement agreements for disturbance contracts, acting for fisheries clients. Fellow co-head Stephen Unwin advises on installation projects in the oil and gas sector. On the infrastructure side, the firm leverages its reputation in the shipping sector to advise on port and harbour projects.
LPG Direct Limited
Associated British Ports
Mainprize Offshore Ltd
Grimsby Renewables Partnership
Greater Gabbard Offshore
- Advised LPG Direct on the sale of its distribution business to Avanti Group.
- Advised Bostonair Group and DC21 on the sale of its wind turbine joint venture DC21 Earth SPV Limited to Arena Capital Partners.
- Advised Associated British Ports on agreements with an international energy supplier/wind farm operator/developer for the laying of cables to facilitate the UK’s largest offshore wind farm.
DWF’s energy practice head Christian Hellmund handles complex contractual arrangements for a roster of construction, manufacturing and property clients. Recent negotiations included advising on the delivery of low-carbon energy developments, the supply of wind turbines and solar panels, and EPC contracts. A number of local authorities also engage the team to handle the procurement processes for energy-from-waste and district heating projects.
Other key lawyers:
Yorkshire Gas and Power
Yingli Namene Solar Limited & Yingli Green Energy Europe
Doosan Power Systems SA
Whitbread Group plc
Vensys Energy AG
Canary Wharf Group
Aberdeenshire Council, Aberdeen City Council and Moray Council
Dundee City Council and Angus Council
South Staffordshire plc
Steag energy solutions GmbH
Discovery Park Limited
Farm Energy Partnership LLP
United Utilities Renewable Energy Limited
WM Morrisons Supermarkets plc
Marks & Spencer plc
Places for People
- Advising Aberdeen City Council on the procurement of its £120m energy-from-waste project.
- Advising Vensys Energy on turbine supply agreements for the manufacture of wind turbines in the megawatt and multi-megawatt classes.
- Representing Doosan Power Systems in a dispute regarding the conversion of a coal-fired power station to biomass.
Schofield Sweeney’s energy and renewables practice has specialist expertise in biomass energy under the leadership of Adam Hastie. International equity and pension funds retain the team for advice on investments, acquisitions and portfolio sales in the UK. Wind power developers also enlist the team for the full scope of advice on the development and operation of small-scale farms. Hastie also advises on development and regeneration work for food waste, battery storage and anaerobic digestion facilities; Bradford-based Farooq Zar is also a key name.
Other key lawyers:
‘Schofield Sweeney have a diverse team with great depth of industry knowledge. They have excelled in balancing the development of contracts to cover risks and security of supply while understanding the limitations and standard trading practices of our counter parties. We deal with international investors and pension funds down to sole trading farmers and contractors. From training, contract development and environmental defence to litigation the team have quickly and competently helped us in all areas.‘
‘The stand-out difference has been the industry knowledge held within the company or in the absence of this, the ability to quickly understand and quickly respond, capturing fully the issue raised. Individuals have been excellent at explaining to staff and colleagues the advice in plain English limiting the amount of legal jargon and tailoring contracts to industry standards, while still protecting us.‘
Sirius Renewable Energy Limited
Renewable Heat Generation Limited
Templeborough Biomass Plant Limited
Aqua consultants Limited / Lanes Farm Energy Limited
BWSC Power Corporation Limited
Catfoss Renewables Limited
- Advising the selling shareholders of Renewable Heat Generation – a private equity group specialising in the development and operation of sustainable heat and energy efficiency projects – on the sale of multi-site biomass boiler projects.
- Advising Templeborough Biomass Power Plant on the operation of its £200m biomass energy plant.
- Retained by Aqua Consultants to advise on the operation of its anaerobic digestion plant in Pontefract.