Projects and infrastructure in Chile
At full-service market-mainstay, Carey, the sizeable 47-strong projects practice draws upon the expertise of several of the firm's highly specialised working groups. The firm has a long-established engineering and construction team which has developed significant experience in numerous industry sectors including mining, desalination and water facilities, ports and airports, hospitals, hotels, and real estate. This combines with members of the environmental, natural resources, project finance, real estate and energy teams on an as-required basis. The result is a department co-led by seven experienced partners: Oscar Aitken and Juan Pablo Stitchkin, who co-head the firm’s engineering and construction group; natural resources and environment team co-heads Rafael Vergara and Alberto Cardemil; Juan Francisco Mackenna and José Miguel Bustamante, who co-head the firm’s energy group; and co-banking and finance head, Felipe Moro. The senior associate to note is Fernando Noriega, whose handles the financing aspects of project and infrastructure matters.
Lima Airport Partners
Asociación Chilena de Seguridad
Empresa Portuaria Austral
Complejo Portuario Mejillones
- Assisted Antofagasta Minerals with the preparation of tender documents and contracts for the development of a new concentrator plant and back-up desalination unit for the Pelambres mine operation.
- Acted for Codelco on the project structuring and preparation of the bidding documents and contracts under a build–own–operate–transfer (BOOT) structure, for the development of a desalination plant.
- Acted as international cousel regarding contractual strategy to Lima Airport Partners (Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport concessionaire), on the bidding documents and contracts for the expansion of the airport, which includes a new runway, terminal and control tower.
- Acted for Teck Resources on the implementation of the Quebrada Blanca II mining project, which included advice on surface lands, contracts, shareholder relations and financing.
- Advised Mainstream Renewable Power Chile (through its subsidiary, Cóndor Energía), on an approximately $580m financing for the development and construction of the Cóndor project, which comprises four renewable energy installations.
With one of Chile’s most experienced project finance and project development practices, Claro & Cia.'s 20-strong department is highly rated for its assistance with the construction and development of power plants, transmission lines and sub-stations, as well as the financing of greenfield and brownfield projects on a non-recourse project finance basis. Additional areas of note are the negotiation and drafting of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, operation & maintenance (O&M) agreements, interconnection contracts, and supply and power purchase agreements. Rodrigo Ochagavía's projects experience includes the regulated sectors, notably energy, ports and concessions; Jorge Martín also has a strong concessions sector background; and Luisa Núñez is a cross-border transactions specialist who is active on projects matters. Other highly-rated partners include José Luis Ambrosy, who advises leading project sponsors and developers; and energy and project finance expert, Ariel Mihovilovic. Experienced associate Gerardo Otero is noted.
EIG Management Company
- Advised Intervial Chile on a financing of up to $300m for the construction, operation and maintenance of public road concessions.
- Advised Sonnedix on the financing of the Atacama solar project.
- Advised Empresa Eléctrica Cochrane on a $400m secured syndicated loan facility and the issuance and sale of $515m senior secured notes.
- Advising The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Export Development Canada, KfW IPEX and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on the financing of four trunk electricity transmission projects.
- Acted as special Chilean counsel to Atlas Renewable Energy Chile on the sale and purchase of both $139m senior secured notes and $114m senior secured notes.
The 12-strong group at Morales & Besa is consistently involved in complex projects, predominantly in the infrastructure and energy sectors. Its transactional experience is characterised by work for investors, developers and lenders on the structuring, developing, purchase, sale and financing of high-end projects. The firm also has a robust regulatory practice, which advises on due diligence, bidding processes, negotiations with the authorities, and litigation, including in relation to tenders for public works concessions. Carlos Silva is an infrastructure and energy specialist; José Miguel Carvajal focuses on commercial, corporate and financial aspects; Myriam Barahona is a banking, finance and project finance expert; and Macarena Laso heads the real estate and construction practice. Support at senior associate level is provided by Javier Balbontín, James Channing and Katannya Jablonski. Former senior associate Sebastián Leyton left to become head of legal at regulatory entity Superintendencia de Electricidad y Combustibles, in January 2020.
‘The team excels in industry knowledge, commercial approach, responsiveness and client management, and is an absolute dynamite team. They properly manage tasks with a good ratio of partners and associates; and as a result, the fees are reasonable and appropriate.‘
‘We are very happy with the service provided. They have always answered us promptly and in a very professional matter. Other advantages are their lower hourly rates and a broad coverage of knowledge areas with up to date experience.‘
‘They consistently deliver and have proven to be one of our key trusted advisors in Chile.‘
‘The lawyers know the organisational culture of our company and the risks to which the industry is exposed. Morales and Besa’s team stands out from other law firms.‘
‘Each member of the team strives to form a relationship with its clients. The individuals are skilled in their practice and promptly tend to our matters. They have a creative approach that assists us to close our transactions.‘
‘They are always on top of all the details, and the firm’s attorneys show a special affinity with clients, in addition to knowledge of the industry in which they work, both financially and in public works contracts. They differ from the rest of the law firms in terms of the ease of contacting partners and lawyers, speed in responses, quality of responses and understanding of clients and their needs.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Metropolitana de Salud
Intervial (ISA Group)
Sociedad Concesionaria Embalse La Punilla
Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Pudahuel (Santiago Airport)
- Acted for Sociedad Concesionaria Metropolitana de Salud and Meridiam Infrastructure on the project development of Hospital Félix Bulnes.
- Advised Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Pudahuel on the development and operation of a new terminal at Santiago Airport.
- Advised Banco Santander Chile on a financing granted to the concessionaire of Autopista Santiago-San Antonio, Ruta 78, which was for additional works agreed with the Ministry of Public Works.
- Advised Banco Security on the financing and refinancing granted to Tralka for the acquisition of a solar power portfolio of 18 projects.
- Advised Celeo Redes Chile Transmisión on the financing for the construction and operation of a portfolio of electric transmission projects.
Multijurisdictional regional player Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría has an established presence in the Chilean projects sphere. The 12-strong department has particular expertise in the renewable energy and mining sectors. It also assists with infrastructure projects involving transportation, hospitals, jails, schools, telecoms, sewerage systems and real estate developments. Key practitioners include: Carlos Alberto Reyes, a transactional energy specialist; firm co-chair Marcelo Armas, who focuses on the banking, finance and capital markets' aspects of projects; and Marcela Silva (who made partner in January 2019), whose broad finance practice includes mining, hydroelectric, wind and solar energy project finance. At senior associate level, Daniel Parodi advises developers, borrowers and lenders on project financing. Former senior associate Daniel Barros left to join Barriga, Morgado & Cia Attorneys at Law.
‘High knowledge of the energy sector and does a very good job in reviewing documents and preparing due diligence reports, as well as in answering specific questions.‘
‘Very good work from partner Marcela Silva and also from her team.‘
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
KfW Ipex-Bank Gmbh
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Export Development Canada
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Natixis (New York)
The Korea Development Bank
Banco de Sabadell (Miami)
JP Morgan Securities
Bank of China
Banco del Estado de Chile
- Advised the lenders (Caixabank, DNB Bank, KfW Ipex-Bank, Natixis New York Branch, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and Société Générale) on a $580m financing of a non-conventional renewable energy portfolio.
- Advised the lenders (comprising several international banks), on the financing of the development of the Quebrada Blanca 2 hypogene project by Compañía Minera Teck Quebrada Blanca.
- Acted for the lenders (Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Caixabank, Banco de Sabadell Miami Branch, BNP Paribas and The Korea Development Bank) on the financing of a photovoltaic power plant, associated electrical substation and switchyard.
- Assisted KfW IPEX-Bank and CaixaBank, as lenders, with the financing of three wind farms.
- Advised Ibereólica Renovables, as borrower, on the financing of a wind power plant.
Regularly advising on large and complex infrastructure and energy project transactions in Chile, Barros & Errázuriz's 25-strong team acts for developers, sponsors, constructors, operators, suppliers and financiers on public and private works concessions, and energy generation and transmission and desalination projects, among others. In addition, the firm fields a strong litigation team with both local and cross-border experience. Nicolás Balmaceda focuses on structured, cross-border project financing; Francisco De la Barra has an active project finance practice; Fernando Garrido and counsel Cristóbal Pellegrini are energy generation and transmission project experts; while Enrique Barros V, who made partner in July 2020, focuses on infrastructure and financing. María Olga Rivera and Diego Ovalle provide notable senior associate support.
‘They are knowledgeable about the market and very professional in their way of working.‘
‘The B&E team has a lot of experience in infrastructure projects, but even better a lot of adaptability to shape adequately the particular needs of our company and business. We have no direct experience with teams from other companies except the counterparts of the companies that finance us and we see superior skills in B&E.‘
‘Francisco de la Barra is very available, as well as being highly knowledgeable about the market and the projects and infrastructure practice space.‘
‘Francisco de la Barra has great business skills; these are the primary differentiator for counterparty attorneys, who are often only skilled in legal issues.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista del Sol
Empresa Constructora Belfi
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Complejo Los Libertadores
- Advised a consortium, comprising Belfi and Cosapi, on the construction of a port in Peru to export copper from the Quellaveco mine.
- Assisted Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista del Sol with the structuring and negotiation of a non-revolving line of credit for the construction of the third lane of the Autopista del Sol highway.
- Advised Total Eren on the purchase of 50% of the Santa Isabel solar project.
Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' sizeable 38-member practice group covers the infrastructure-project lifecycle from planning, finance, development and construction, through to operation and transactional matters. It is particularly experienced in energy projects (including greenfield), and regularly assists mining companies and its strong industrial client roster on their PPA requirements and associated needs. Carlos Pérez-Cotapos frequently advises on significant foreign mining investment projects; Rodrigo Sepúlveda is a finance, banking, securities and project finance expert; Cristián Herrera's practice covers project development, foreign investment, infrastructure, corporate law and security market regulations; and Gonzalo Jiménez is an infrastructure project specialist. Managing partner Juan Pablo Matus and Gonzalo Grez provide further partner-level support.
‘The team I have worked with is excellent and shows great knowledge, management skills and understanding of the projects they have advised me on, as well as agility, among other things. I really like the team’s level of commitment, excellent disposition and extensive knowledge. I would recommend this firm in every way.‘
‘I would especially like to highlight Cristián Herrera (partner), who stands out for being an excellent lawyer with knowledge in different areas of law, which allows him, within the framework of the development of the projects in which he has advised me, to have the complete picture.‘
Banco de Crédito e Inversiones
Minera Ricardo Resources
Metro de Santiago
- Assisted Minera Ricardo Resources with an exploration and option to form a company agreement (in relation to mining concessions) with Minera Freeport-Mcmoran South America.
- Advised Canadian utility company ATCO on its negotiations with Spain’s Impulso regarding two MOUs for the purchase and development of greenfield renewable energy projects in Chile.
- Advised Chilean bank Banco de Crédito e Inversiones on the due diligence and finance structuring for a 20MW hydroelectric generation plant.
Founded in 2016, Fleischmann & León Abogados' eight-strong group has vast experience in infrastructure, including public works concessions and projects involving penitentiaries, airports, highways, and energy and telecoms installations. The team acts for Sociedad Concesionaria BAS, which holds the public work concession for Chile's penitentiary infrastructure programme, on an ongoing basis, including all issues concerning the concession agreement, and relations with the Chilean state, financial entities and subcontractors. Hernán Fleischmann Chadwick's infrastructure and construction practice also covers contentious issues; and Juan Ignacio León Lira is experienced in project-related bidding processes, negotiations, financing, audits and disputes.
‘Excellent availability to provide legal advice whenever it is needed. They have extensive knowledge of the regulations of the Ministry of Public Works, both in relation to court decisions and their practical application by officials. This gives them great power of conviction, even when faced with complications that a project inspector might present.‘
‘They have a multidisciplinary team that knows the various topics in this area very well, and they have the experience that allows us to analyse and tackle problems in a better way.‘
‘They are always attentive to what one, as a client, needs. Sometimes this might be a contract addendum, a letter, or a simple phone call. Whatever the requirement, they always attend to you with the utmost speed and professionalism.‘
‘The Fleischmann and León team already has longstanding experience in managing infrastructure contracts, both on the private side, as well as with the State.‘
‘They help manage contracts well and assist with the satisfactory resolution of disputes. This marks an important difference with respect to other law firms in the national market.’
‘Hernán Fleischmann Chadwick is outstanding in the assertive handling of disputes between parties and in the development of mechanisms to resolve them. The foregoing applies both to relations with the State as well as between the partners of the concessionaire corporation.‘
‘Juan Ignacio León Lira has complete experience in the applicable laws and the administration of contracts, both with the State as well as with other actors in the national market, such as financial entities.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria BAS
Claro Vicuña Valenzuela
Aguas de Antofagasta
Empresa Constructora Bravo e Izquierdo
ICIL – ICAFAL
Sociedad Concesionaria Túnel El Melón II
Sociedad Concesionaria Teleférico Bicentenario
Sociedad Concesionaria Ruta G-21
INIMA – CVV
- Advised Sociedad Concesionaria Teleférico Bicentenario, the concessionaire in charge of Santiago’s urban cableway project, on all matters concerning its concession agreement.
- Advised Aguas de Antofagasta on the bidding process for the design and construction of a desalination plant.
Guerrero Olivos' sizeable, 20-strong group (including six partners) is focused on project finance and development (including regulatory advice), within the energy, mining and infrastructure (including desalination plant) sectors. Clemente Pérez's broad practice covers energy and non-conventional renewable energy (NCRE) project development, energy project finance and M&A, regulatory issues, private and public bids, public works' concession permits, and environmental matters; while Pedro Lyon is the key figure for mining matters. The deep partner-level bench also includes project finance expert Macarena Ravinet, energy project finance specialist Sebastián Abogabir, and recently promoted Miguel Coddou. Senior associate Benjamín Novoa and associate Felipe Frühling provide further support. However, former practice co-head Sebastián Yunge has left the firm.
Natixis (New York)
Anglo American Marketing (Singapore)
Cap Vert Energie
Corporación Reguemos Chile
Pacific Hydro Chile
- Advised Cap Vert Energie on several financing and refinancing processes for the acquisition, construction and operation of energy projects in Chile.
- Advised Natixis on two separate international energy project financings – to a US energy investor and a French energy generation company – for the acquisition and development of solar projects.
- Advising a non-profit corporation (Reguemos Chile) on an infrastructure and renewable energy project (the hydric highway), which plans to transport water from rainy areas.
Larrain y Asociados Abogados
Larrain y Asociados Abogados' 13-strong practice has become a go-to team for the structuring of complex project solutions for industrial clients. It has particular expertise in advising on the development, financing, construction and operational stages of infrastructure projects across sectors including mining, energy, road, rail, ports and hospitals. The team also assists with associated contentious issues including construction disputes. The practice is led by infrastructure experts Arturo Bulnes and Jorge Granic, with partners Cristóbal Morandé, Carlos Aravena and Juan Carlos Bulnes, of counsel Ricardo Peña, and associates Joaquín Larrain, Javiera Méndez (deputy legal head of the National Energy Commission until her August-2019 arrival at the firm), and Juan de Dios Ferrada providing further support.
Transchile Charrúa Chile
Consorcio de Salud Santiago Oriente
Vespucio Oriente Highway
Ferrovial Airports International
Sociedad Punta del Cobre
- Ongoing advice to Consorcio de Salud Santiago Oriente regarding the construction and exploitation of a hospital, which is to be built via the public works concession regime.
- Advising Globalvia on the ongoing tender of road project: Ruta 5 Tramo Talca-Chillán.
- Advised Transchile Charrúa Chile on the development of a transmission line and a substation, in order to enable the connection to the national grid of a 63MW wind farm project.
The sizeable, 20-strong department at Prieto Abogados fields experts in tender processes, construction and project development. The practice group has particular expertise in clean energy projects, as well as being experienced in the gas, water and sewage, mining and port sectors. Elevated to the partnership in April 2020, Nicolás Yuraszeck also became head of the projects and infrastructure department; M&A head Juan Tagle is also frequently active in the practice, as is senior partner, energy and arbitration specialist Claudio Undurraga. Further partner-level expertise is provided by corporate and energy head Fernando Bravo, and compliance leader José Andrés Pascual. Key senior associate support comes from the energy and natural resources-focused Camila Kutz.
‘The team has know-how of infrastructure projects and is fully committed and aligned with the owner’s team.‘
‘The individuals are empowered and available at any time to move forward with the contract’s negotiations.‘
‘It has a lot of experience in several topics, including negotiation of EPC and BOOT contracts.‘
‘One of the strengths of the Prieto team is that they know and understand the subject matter and objective of the contracts. Customer support is very dedicated and they comply with the committed delivery on time.‘
‘Juan Tagle and Nicolás Yuraszeck have been key players during negotiations.‘
‘Nicolás Yuraszeck is a good professional, who is a good negotiator and knows a lot about infrastructure contracts.‘
Engie Energía Chile
Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi
Tranmisora Eléctrica del Norte
Empresa de Transmisión Eléctrica Transemel
Américas Energy Fund I
- Assisted Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi with a significant natural resources project, which involved a construction agreement concerning a recovered water system project.
- Advised Engie Energía Chile on the drafting and negotiation of a balance of plant (BoP) contract for the construction of a wind power project.
- Advised Suez (and its subsidiaries) on the tender process conducted by Codelco for the construction, operation, maintenance and exploitation of a desalinisation plant, the installation and assembly of a 160-km pipeline, and associated transmission infrastructure.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile fields a seven-strong team that is led by experienced partners Antonio Ortúzar Jr (who has over 25 years' experience in natural resources and large-scale projects in Chile), mining expert Mirco Hilgers and transactions specialist Jaime Munro. Notable support is provided by senior associate Francisco Nualart. The practice is traditionally strong in the mining sector, but has also expanded its work in renewable energy projects, desalinisation plants and major infrastructure projects, including ports and roads.
‘Full-time availability, experience and market knowledge.‘
‘They are punctual and attentive and provide quick responses to all queries. The lawyers also show great flexibility in adapting to each situation.‘
‘Excellent attention and handling of topics, as well a willingness to investigate thoroughly.‘
Fondo de Inversión Cameron
Grupo Vía Central
Energía Renovable de la Península
Nordex Energy Chile
- Advised Patria on the purchase, development and construction of a desalination plant.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana's 33-lawyer practice has a strong track record in the planning, development, construction and operation of projects in Chile. It has particular expertise in mining-related projects, but the practice is also well known for projects involving power generation facilities, ports, airports, and real estate developments. The firm boasts several experienced partners, including mining and natural resources expert Pablo Mir, and corporate co-heads Alejandro Álvarez and Octavio Bofill. Ana María Yuri, José Antonio Velasco and Rodrigo Saffirio provide additional partner-level support. Former mining and energy and natural resources partner Rony Zimerman moved to Lembeye Abogados in April 2020.
Changshu Fengfan Power Equipment
Sprott Korea Corp
Pacifico HVDC Link
Sociedad Contractual Minera Franke
Clínica de la Mujer Sanatorio Alemán
Bice Vida Compañía de Seguros
Compañía de Seguros de Vida Consorcio Nacional de Seguros
Republic of Chile, Ministry of Public Works
- Provides ongoing advice to Canadian investment company Columbia Capital on growing its business in Chile through the acquisition of interests in companies that develop local solar photovoltaic projects.
- Advised Sprott Korea Corp on setting up a special purpose vehicle in Chile for its investment in Chilean companies developing solar photovoltaic projects.
- Advised China-based electricity pylon-manufacturer Changshu Fengfan Power Equipment on an EPC contract with Transmisora del Pacífico.
CMS Carey & Allende's 10-strong team regularly advises high-profile domestic and international companies on projects involving power transmission, renewable energy, land easements, EPC contracts, and related water rights issues. It is particularly specialised in projects concerning the energy, agribusiness and telecoms sectors. Jorge Allende Z is an energy project specialist; also key to the group are experienced partners Luis Felipe Arze and Fernando De Cárcer, and senior associate Aldo Poblete.
Eléctricas de Medellín Ingeniería y Servicios (EDEMSA)
Hidroeléctrica Doña Alicia
- Advised Solarpack Corporación Tecnológica on the Chilean legal aspects of the $91m financing for its La Granja Solar photovoltaic project.
- Advised Hidroeléctrica Lumen on the development of a run-of-the-river power plant.
- Ongoing advice to EDEMSA regarding a key transmission line that interconnects Chile’s two main electricity distribution networks.
The eight-strong team at DLA Piper Chile is particularly experienced in the development and financing of power plants and energy projects, as well as infrastructure and real estate. Highly regarded partners Felipe Bahamondez (natural resources and regulatory matters), José Pablo Dulanto (an energy and mining sector specialist), and Rodrigo Álvarez (real estate) co-head the projects practice. Notable support at senior associate level is provided by Diego Peña (infrastructure and the corporate aspects of energy projects), and Paulina Farías (energy, natural resources and regulatory matters).
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice is deep enough that I have access to all the expertise I require, including M&A, corporate and commercial, energy project diligence, project finance, real estate and dispute matters. The team is also small enough that I feel that I know key contacts and receive a personalised and responsive service. In addition, I feel that our particular needs are understood and that there is a constant attempt to improve and refine the service offerings based on the needs of our business.‘
‘Diego Peña has been closely involved with all aspects of our business since inception in Chile. His overall knowledge of our business is a great asset.‘
SLM NX Uno de Peine
- Provides ongoing advice to SIMCO (a joint venture between Cominor and Simbalik of Taiwan) for the development of a lithium production project.
- Advises SLM NX Uno de Peine on the development of the NX project (a joint venture between Cominor Samsung C&T Corporation and Korea Resources) for the development of a potassium and lithium carbonate project.
- Ongoing advisory to SCM Antakena, the owner of a copper project.
Molina Ríos Abogados
Molina Ríos Abogados fields a five-strong team that is experienced in projects, construction, public and private contracts, and energy and infrastructure matters. Recent mandates have seen it active in the development of projects related with airports, roads, wind farms, photovoltaic plants, hospitals, public infrastructure and mining. The practice also assists with both the financing and contentious aspects of project development. Victor Ríos and Carlos Molina are the experienced name partners, and Felipe Correa was made partner in 2019.
Santiago Airport Consortium
Mainstream Renewable Power
Grupo San Jose
- Assisting Mainstream Renewable Power with the construction of the Condor Portfolio, which involves the injection of 571MW into the power system.
- Acting as the exclusive legal adviser to the CJV Consortium in relation to the project development of Santiago Airport.
- Advising OHL on the construction of two hospitals.
Resulting from the division of the former Chadwick & Reymond, Reymond & Cia.'s 10-strong department is well known for complex negotiations and dispute resolution involving public works concessions, construction, public and private infrastructure, and energy and public health services, as well as real estate and project development and financing, among other areas. Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez and Alfonso Reymond Larraín's practices include claims and litigation before the Technical Review Board on Public Works Concessions.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are the lawyers with the best practice in Chile in this area. I emphasise that the partners serve us directly and compared to the rest of the firms, they are highly trusted and recognised by this sector.‘
‘The firm’s attorneys stand out for their high specialisation, their diligence and development of sophisticated and comprehensive solutions, and their commitment to clients.‘
‘This office is the Chilean leader in construction and projects.’
‘Partner Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez is in charge of this area and has quickly become a leader and a benchmark for great work capacity and knowledge.‘
‘Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez stands out for his comprehensive approach, deep knowledge of projects and infrastructure, and impeccable ethics and good judgement.‘
‘Rodrigo Riquelme Yáñez is an industry leader and quickly grown as one of the best.‘
‘Alfonso Reymond Larraín has solid knowledge and extensive experience, allowing him to offer bold solutions and advice at the highest level.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista Vespucio Oriente
República Federativa Brasil
Consorcio Hospital de Talca
Sociedad Concesionaria Rutas del Pacífico Ruta 78
Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista de los Andes
Consorcio Embalse Chironta
Icafal Ingeniería y Construcción
Sociedad Concesionaria Rutas del Algarrobo.
Sociedad Concesionaria Ruta de Nahuelbuta
- Acted for Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Oriente in a dispute which involved a series of arbitrary instructions imposed by the Ministry of Public Works of the State of Chile.
- Advised Consorcio Hospital Regional de Talca on its relations with the Health Authority in regard to a hospital building contract.
- Acted for a concessionaire company in its challenge to a series of fines imposed by the Ministry of Public Works of the State of Chile.
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados fields an 11-strong department that specialises in construction law (including front-end construction issues); environmental matters; corporate, labour and tax law; and litigation. The practice has particular expertise in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors as well as in the commercial buildings segment. Head of the firm's projects, engineering and construction group, Juan Pablo Halpern, is a specialist in relevant forms of contracting - including DB, BOT, EPC and EPCM. He is also co-chair of the expert committee of Construye2025, a governmental initiative that intends to boost the construction sector's productivity.
Acciona Infraestructura (Chile)
Andaluza de Montajes Eléctricos y Telefónicos (Chile)
Claro Vicuña Valenzuela
Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi
Concesionaria Estacionamientos San Felipe
Constructora Sudamericana Chile
Coordinador Independiente del Sistema Eléctrico Nacional
Empresa Constructora Bravo e Izquierdo
Empresa Constructora DLP
Hotel Corporation of Chile
Louisiana Pacific Chile
Puertos y Logistica
Turner and Townsend
Vestas Chile Turbinas Eolicas
- Assisted DP World subsidiary Puertos y Logistica with the preparation of a construction contract for a corporate building.
Garrigues Chile's 13-strong practice group has considerable know-how and expertise in concession contracts, public procurement and project finance. The department is led by Pedro García who has over 20 years' experience in project finance matters, particularly the energy and public infrastructure sectors. Also key to the group are public law head Claudio Moraga; project finance and development specialist José Miguel Rioseco (ports and logistics); and telecoms expert Jaime de Larraechea. Principal associate Antonio Morales focuses on project finance.
‘Pedro García has a lot of experience in project finance, especially on the lender side.‘
Concesionaria Ruta del Maipo
Concesionaria Talca Chillán
Concesionaria Ruta Nahuelbuta
Concesionaria Teleférico Bicentenario
- Advised concessionaire Ruta del Maule on construction work for a segment of a road project.
Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr's 10-strong team is experienced in the development and financing of projects, such as power generation (particularly NCRE), mining, infrastructure and real estate. Sergio Orrego has over 30 years' experience in the development of complex industrial, infrastructure, mining and energy projects. Also key to the group at partner level are real estate project specialist Gonzalo Errázuriz; Ignacio Urrutia, who provides environmental law support; and projects and infrastructure expert, Felipe Rencoret.
Consorcio Kospo Samsung
Royal Gold Inc.
Yamana Gold Inc.
Global Energy Services Siemsa
Energía de la Patagonia y Aysésn
Desarrollos Inmobiliarios y Constructora Valle Grande
Aveng Construcciones Chile
International Finance Corporation
Energía de la Patagonia y Aysén
Administradora Next Capital
Echeverría Izquierdo Ingeniería y Construcción
Inmobiliaria Punta Piqueros
Inmobiliaria Mall Viña del Mar
Inmobiliaria Parque Embajadores
- Assists Consorcio Kospo Samsung with a gas-combined power project.
Urzua Matute Abogados
Boutique law firm Urzua Matute Abogados is consistently involved in relevant projects in the mining, aquaculture, and energy generation and transmission segments, among others. It is typically involved in the construction and practical development aspect and associated contracts, rather than on the project finance front. Experienced name partner Cristián Urzúa is a projects, engineering and construction specialist, who also handles the full range of associated contentious matters. The growing practice has seen the firm boost its roster with notable new clients Graña y Montero and Central Rucalhue (owned by China International Water and Electric Corporation), in recent months.
‘The Urzua Matute team, and in particular Cristián Urzúa, is a team with great expertise in infrastructure projects and related litigation. They stand out for their pragmatism and creativity in delivering solutions. It is a team that provides excellent advice both in the negotiation phase and in claims and arbitrations derived from engineering and construction contracts.‘
‘What makes this practice unique is having the experience to interpret correctly different scenarios and know how properly to assess and weigh the different risks without raising transaction costs.‘
‘We receive a direct, fast and efficient relationship with people who really have proven experience in the field. They differ in that, being niche, the relationship is direct.‘
‘The Urzua Matute team is practical, always available and attentive, and always shows willingness to train client teams in a didactic and effective way. They have experience and a practical and on-site perspective. They are also able effectively to connect the legal, commercial and operational perspectives.‘
‘The best quality of Cristián Urzúa is his 24/7 availability, excellent treatment of clients, honesty and efficiency. He has knowledge and creativity that are very difficult to find in the Chilean market. He is extremely hard-working and diligent, and very committed to his clients. In my opinion, he is the best projects lawyer in Chile.‘
‘Cristián Urzúa has outstanding knowledge of our business and the practice of arbitration. He has been involved in several complex cases regarding all kinds of construction law issues.‘
Graña y Montero
China International Water and Electric Corporation
- Advised BHP Billiton on contract and claim management issues concerning the construction of a mining project.