International trade and customs in Brazil
Demarest Advogados stands out of for its large and dedicated team of well-regarded trade lawyers. The firm is regularly involved in the largest and most complex Brazilian international trade cases; these include major trade remedies investigations, both in Brazil and in other jurisdictions, where the firm often represents Brazilian exporters. It also has a strong track record in major customs claims and also has good experience in WTO cases. Practice head José Diaz is a key player in the market, and is backed up by a strong team of specialist lawyers, including partners Oswaldo Leite de Moraes, Camila Biral and Victor Lopes and highly rated senior associate Fernando Bueno.
‘The team is very driven with a focus on the results. They can handle large investigations easily. They can complete all the questionnaires and make very sophisticated analysis of the dumping margins. They are always available. They get outstanding results for their clients in dumping investigations. This is not easy and they have an excellent track record that is difficult to match.”
‘Fernando Bueno is exceptional; he is very knowledgeable of the procedures and strategies. Fernando is very smart, knows exactly how the investigations work and he is always available. He was able to get outstanding results for his clients, something which is not easy to find in this practice.’
‘Victor Lopes is an active presence, helpful to solve issues with quick, clear and reliable solutions and answers.’
National Tyre Industry Association (ANIP)
Brazilian Textile Industry Association (ABIT)
National Industry Confederation (CNI)
Companhia Siderúgica Nacional (CSN)
- Successfully helped the National Industry Confederation defend the interests of Brazil’s exporting sector in WTO cases DS472 and DS497, initiated by the European Union and Japan against Brazilian industrial policies in the automotive, ICT, mining, steel and paper sectors.
- Represented Arcelor Mittal, Gerdau and CSN in the Brazilian investigation of dumping and subsidies against imports of hot-rolled steel flat products.
- Advised the Brazilian Textile Industry Association (ABIT) and four national producers (Capricórnio, Cedro, Canatiba and Covolan) in the anti-dumping investigation in Argentina against imports of denim from Brazil.
- Counsel to the National Tire Industry Association in two anti-dumping sunset reviews on Brazilian imports of certain types of car tyres from China, Ukraine, Thailand and South Korea.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has been representing clients in trade remedies investigations since 1991, and in that time has established itself as a leading firm in this space. The team is also increasingly active in foreign proceedings, recently representing clients in high-profile investigations in Argentina and Colombia. Mauro Berenholc and Renê Medrado are sought out by importers, exporters and trade associations from across a wide range of industries. On the customs side, the team regularly represents clients in claims before the administrative and judicial courts. It also handles non-contentious matters, including the implementation of complex international customs tax structures.
‘This firm provides a wide variety of services with great knowledge and professionalism. We have always received reliable and agile advice from them in all the areas in which we have required their services. Other firms may be good in certain areas, but we have found that PNA’s services and advice is more complete.’
‘Mauro Berenholc stands out in the subject matters handled for us.’
Tetra Pak Group
B. Braun Laboratories
Elkem Materials South America
Becton Dickinson Group
- Assisted INEOS Oxide in the anti-dumping sunset review proceeding initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat investigating imports of ethanolamines from the United States and Germany.
- Represented Tetra Pak in a Colombian administrative proceeding concerning the imposition of safeguard measures on the imports into Colombia of certain aseptic carton packaging material originating from all WTO members.
- Represented Laboratórios B. Braun in an Argentinian anti-dumping investigation into certain imports into Argentina from Brazil and Mexico.
- Advised Elkem Materials South America in a major customs claim relating to imports of silicon dioxide.
Azevedo Sette Advogados has a highly respected international trade team led by Luiz Eduardo Salles. The firm's standing in the market is reflected in its renewed appointment to act as legal counsel to the Brazilian trade mission in the WTO. The team is also regularly instructed by major trade bodies on reviews and public interest analyses into anti-dumping issues. Private sector companies also instruct the firm to represent it in Brazilian anti-dumping investigations. The team includes senior associates Lucas Bianchini, who has experience acting as a trade remedies specialist, and Ingrid Bandeira Santos.
Government of Brazil – Permanent Mission of Brazil to the WTO
ELETROS – The Brazilian Association of Manufacturers of Electric and Electronic Appliances
ABIPLAST – The Brazilian Plastic Industry Association
Confederação da Agricultura e Pecuária – CNA (The Brazilian Agriculture and Livestock National Association)
IBF International Consulting
Companhia Ferroligas Minas Gerais – Minasligas
Copacol – Cooperativa Agroindustrial Consolata
- Acts as legal counsel to Brazil’s Permanent Mission before the WTO, alongside two international firms, on all related issues.
- Advised the Brazilian Association of Producers of Electric and Electronic Appliances, ELETROS, on the public interest analysis of the anti-dumping duties imposed on the exports of polypropylene resins from India, South Africa, South Korea and the US to Brazil.
- Assisted the Brazilian Plastic Industry Association, ABIPLAST, on the public interest analysis of the anti-dumping duties imposed on the Brazilian imports of PVC-S resin from China and South Korea.
Grinberg e Cordovil Advogados has a strong history of representing domestic and foreign companies, as well as industry bodies, on a broad range of trade issues. The team, which includes highly rated partners Leonor Cordovil and Ricardo Motta, has good experience in anti-dumping, subsidies and safeguard investigations, and also regularly assists clients on import licensing requests, market shortage instruments and changes to the common external tariff of Mercosur. Clients come from a wide range of sectors, including chemicals, rubber, energy and metals, and the team regularly acts before the Brazilian and foreign trade authorities.
‘The willingness to provide the best service in every task is the most significant differential and the reason why we keep asking for their counseling in the area and analysing how to expand our relationship with the firm.’
‘They have a very well coordinated and complementary team. The partner has deep knowledge of the practice and great entrance in key agencies and partners complement each other in trade issues at high level.’
‘They have personalised service, with total attention, both in the solution and in the prevention of problems.’
‘Leonor Cordovil knows precisely what she is talking about and is always updated with the market, which provide a great differential, because in this area not only the legal knowledge is essential, but how you use this knowledge and adjust to the reality of the country.’
Gerdau Açominas and Gerdau
Associação Brasileira do Alumínio (ABAL)
The Dow Chemical Company
Rohm and Haas Texas, Rohm and Haas Chemical LLC
Dow Brasil Sudeste Industrial
Rohm and Haas Química
Lignotech Brasil Produtos de Lignina
- Assisted Gerdau on the safeguard investigation conducted by the European Commission on the imports of steel products.
- Advised the Associação Brasileiro do Alumínio, and its associates, on the request to suspend, due to public interest reasons, the anti-dumping duties in place against imports of metal magnesium from China and Russia.
- Assisted Unigel Participações and Acrinor Acrilonitrila do Nordeste on the 2019 review of the US Generalized System of Preferences.
Magalhães e Dias - Advocacia
Magalhães e Dias - Advocacia is an economic law boutique with over 40 years in the market. The firm has a strong international trade offering thanks to the expertise of partner Francisco Niclós Negrão, who has a strong track record in advising exporters, importers and trade associations on anti-dumping procedures, import tariffs and related public interest cases. He is supported by an experienced team of lawyers, including the highly rated Déborah Melo, who is entirely specialised in international trade.
‘The quality of the team and work is exceptional. Not only the technical knowledge is outstanding, but the high touch level of contacts the firm has (the partners) is strong.’
‘One exceptional capability is the commitment of the team to our case- they worked far beyond the scope initially defined, even without bringing a financial discussion to the table. The energy allocated to our matters was extremely high.’
‘Francisco Negrão and Deborah Melo are both great lawyers, very thorough and they push the company to give them information to build the best case.’
‘Francisco also has an economic degree, which helps a lot, since the antidumping case involve macro and micro economics. The best though is the clear and objective presentations that he prepares in order to have meetings with authorities.’
SEB Do Brasil Produtos Domésticos (Groupe SEB)
MK Eletrodomésticos (Mondial)
ELETROS – National Union of Electrical Products Manufacturers
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Atlas Indústria de Eletrodomésticos
KHS Indústria de Máquinas
Tramontina – Cutelaria
Tramontina Farroupilha – Indústria Metalúrgica
Brazilian Machinery Builders´ Association (ABIMAQ)
Hasbro do Brasil Indústria e Comércio De Brinquedos e Jogos
- Assisted Embraco Industria de Compressores e Soluções em Refrigeração on its request to maintain the suspension of anti-dumping duties on the imports of hot-rolled steel from Russia and China.
- Advised ELETROS, the National Union of Electrical Products Manufacturers, on an anti-dumping investigation against the imports of cold-rolled steel from several jurisdictions.
- Represented toy manufacturer Hasbro on a request to reduce import taxes from 35% to 20%.
MPA Trade Law
MPA Trade Law is a boutique firm with an active practice in international trade and WTO law. The firm regularly represents exporters, importers and trade associations in trade negotiations, anti-dumping investigations and WTO matters. As well as advising on domestic matters, the firm also has experience in representing clients in key foreign jurisdictions, including China. The firm is especially noted for its strong expertise in the agriculture and food sectors. Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo enjoy strong reputations in the market.
‘Cláudia Marques is an outstanding lawyer, very smart, thorough and precise with her analysis. She is great when dealing with public authorities due to her great knowledge of the subject. Besides, she is very hardworking, pushing a lot to prepare the best case.’
Brazilian Association of The Nonwovens and Technical Industries (ABINT)
Brazilian Association of Animal Protein (ABPA)
Petrom Petroquímica Mogi das Cruzes (PETROM)
Embraco Indústria de Compressores e Soluções em Refrigeração (EMBRACO)
Belliz Indústria, Comércio, Importação e Exportação
Brazil’s National Confederation of Industry (CNI)
Tigre Materiais e Soluções Para Construção
Omron Healthcare Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Produtos Médicos
Covestro Indústria e Comércio de Polímeros
Rio Branco Alimentos
Coasul Cooperativa Agroindustrial
Cooperativa Central Aurora Alimentos
Coopavel Cooperativa Agroindustrial
Cooperativa Agroindustrial Copagril
C.Vale – Cooperativa Agroindustrial
Goncalves & Tortola
Kaefer Agro Industrial
Lar Cooperativa Agroindustrial
São Salvador Alimentos
- Represented ABINT, an association of Brazilian importers of polypropylene resins and nonwoven products, in a sunset review of anti-dumping duties on imports of polypropylene resins from Korea, India and South Africa.
- Represented ABPA and several Brazilian exporters in the context of the anti-dumping investigation in China against Brazil’s exports of poultry.
- Assisted Petrom in an anti-dumping investigation on Brazilian imports of phthalic anhydride from Russia and Israel.
The active international trade team at Mundie e Advogados is jointly led by experienced partners Andrea Weiss Balassiano and Carol Monteiro de Carvalho. Both have distinguished track records in representing domestic and international clients on a range of trade-related issues, including anti-dumping investigations in Brazil and abroad. The firm represents several major Asian manufacturers from key jurisdictions, including China, Taiwan and Vietnam. The firm also provides strong advice on related compliance and regulatory issues, as well as support on customs and tariff classifications.
‘Transparency, objectivity of information and speed of response are fundamental to the team’s way of acting.’
Sasol Limited Company
Jinan Shengquan Group Share Holding Co. and Jinan Shengquan Double Surplus Ceramic Filter Co (SQ Group)
Zhejiang Pengsheng Stationery Co.
Shanxi Taigang Stainless Steel co. e TISCO Stainless Steel Limited
Nitriflex Indústria e Comércio
Adidas do Brasil
- Advised Sasol Limited Company in the sunset review of the anti-dumping investigation against imports of polypropylene (PP) resin from South Africa, India and South Korea.
- Represented SQ Group, a Chinese manufacturer of ceramic filters, in the sunset review related to Brazilian imports of refractory ceramic filters (foam filters) from China.
- Assisted Zhejiang Pengsheng Stationery in the anti-dumping investigation against imports of wood and resin pencils from China.
Clients of Veirano Advogados benefit from a highly experienced, full-service international trade practice. The team, which is led by the highly respected Ana Caetano, regularly advises major companies and trade associations on WTO-related consultation and litigation work. Recently, the firm has been involved in several key matters in the food, agribusiness and IT sectors. It also represents Brazilian interests in foreign trade remedy proceedings, and is noted for its strong expertise in anti-dumping and customs proceedings.
‘The ability to know how companies are structured and communicate easily with main stakeholders is a valuable ground for the result oriented work that is rendered.’
‘Ana Caetano is truly an experienced attorney, providing excellent orientation on trade matters, in our case, with focus on anti-dumping, including the very challenging political scenario in Brazil for the last few years.’
‘Ana Caetano is a unique professional because in Brazil there are not many with experience in WTO issues. She has cases experience as well as good relations with government officials that deal with this topic.’
Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração (CBMM)
Masterly Indústria e Com. De Armação de Óculos
Michelin Siam Company Limited/Michelin Espírito Santo Com. Imp. E Exp.
Neotec Indústria de Comércio e Pneus Limitada
Rhodia Poliamida e Especialidades
Volvo Car Brasil Importação e Comercialização de Veiculos
- Represented Braskem in the sunset review of anti-dumping duties on imports of PP from India, Korea and South Africa and in related public interest proceedings.
- Assisted Industrial Levorin and Neotec Indústria de Comércio e Pneus Limitada in the sunset review on anti-dumping duties applied on imports of rubber tires for bicycles from China, India and Vietnam.
- Advised International Paper in drafting and filing arguments against the re-inclusion of fluff pulp in the list of exceptions to the common external tariff.
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law is a new trade law boutique established by well-regarded trade expert Carla Junqueira, who divides her time between Brazil and Argentina, and Ana Luiza Sanches, both formerly at Mattos Engelberg Advogados. The team has expertise advising on trade remedies for a range of sectors, including food, steel, petrochemicals, plastics and paper. This includes anti-dumping advice, litigation matters and WTO-related work. Both partners come highly recommended by clients, including major corporates and industry bodies.
‘The team is very good. They know a lot about international trade and the technical legislation. They provide a good support to the clients.’
‘Carla Junqueira is professional and very experienced.’
‘Ana Luiza is an amazing lawyer, with knowledge and know-how about international trade. She is a good technical and good in relationship.’
Comercial de Alhos e Condimentos Mattos
Reichhold do Brasil
China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Light Industrial Products and Arts-Crafts (CCCLA) / China Writing Instrument Association (CWIA)
China Counsil for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT)
- Represented food importer Comercial de Alhos e Condimentos Mattos in an influential anti-dumping investigation regarding the import of garlic from China.
- Assisted AkzoNobel in the sunset review of anti-dumping duties on imports of butyl acrylate from the US, and in the related public interest proceeding.
Fialho Salles Advogados
Fialho Salles Advogados is a popular choice with major trade industry bodies, and its regular advice to Confederação Nacional da Indústria (CNI), the National Industry Confederation in Brazil, is a testament to its strong standing in the market. The team's comprehensive service includes advice on product regulations, trade remedy investigations, WTO matters and customs. The team is jointly led by Leonardo Canabrava and Lucas Spadano, respectively based in Belo Horizonte and São Paulo.
Confederação Nacional da Indústria – CNI (the National Industry Confederation in Brazil)
Wyda Indústria de Embalagens
Yingli Green Energy do Brasil and its foreign affiliates
Clamper Indústria e Comércio
Sunew Filmes Fotovoltaicos Impressos
Centro de Inovações CSEM Brasil
Innovative Seed Solutions
- Represented RIMA Industrial in public interest review proceedings linked to anti-dumping duties applied against Chinese and Russian imports of metallic magnesium.
- Assisted the Confederação Nacional da Indústria (CNI) on a study concerning the implementation of the WTO trade facilitation rules within Mercosur, with the objective to identify areas of improvement, for CNI.
TozziniFreire Advogados has a versatile international trade team that acts for an impressive list of domestic and international companies. Practice head Vera Kanas has over 15 years of experience advising on trade remedies, customs law and trade compliance issues. Recently, the firm has been involved in several Brazilian anti-dumping investigations and public interest assessment procedures. The team also advises clients on the structuring of import and export operations to comply with WTO and other international agreements. Senior associate Carolina Müller is also well regarded in the market.
‘A specialised team, providing highly qualified services. They are extremely prepared, up-to-date and technical professionals.’
Sumitomo Rubber Industries
- Represented Sumitomo Rubber Industries and its subsidiary Sumitomo Rubber do Brasil in the sunset review of the anti-dumping measures applied to the imports of tires for buses and trucks from Japan and other countries.
- Advising Greiner Bio-One Brasil Produtos Médicos Hospitalares, a major Brazilian manufacturer of blood collection tubes, in the sunset review for anti-dumping duties to imports of this product from the US, UK, Germany and China.
Marchini Botelho Caselta Advogados
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe represents domestic and international clients in a variety of international trade matters. The firm has good expertise in customs advice and tariff classification issues, as well as assistance on structuring supply channels and related compliance matters. The lawyers are also experienced in anti-dumping and duties investigations. Marcia Calafate, Rafael Gregorin, Horacio Almeida and Alessandra Machado are all active in this area.
Johnson & Johnson
“K” Line RoRo & Bulk
Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltda
- Advised K-Line Brasil and Kawasaki Kisen on several aspects of maritime law, including international treaties for Mercosur trade.