Ms Courtney Cochran Butler > Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP Offices
600 TRAVIS, SUITE 4200
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Ms Courtney Cochran Butler
Ms. Butler is co-lead of the firm’s Capital Markets practice group, having advised clients in securities-related transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $100 billion.
Ms. Butler’s practice crosses a broad range of industries and disciplines, including representing issuers and investment banks in public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, including IPOs, and representing private equity investors and issuers in capital-raising transactions, including preferred equity and convertible debt transactions. Ms. Butler also advises public and private companies in structuring a wide array of strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, complex joint ventures and corporate restructurings.
A cornerstone of her practice also includes working hand-in-hand with public companies and their boards of directors on a variety of general corporate matters, including Exchange Act reporting, proxy and shareholder matters and corporate governance and compliance matters. In addition to her extensive experience working with clients across the energy sector, Ms. Butler has also had the pleasure of representing an impressive list of companies across a broad spectrum of industries, including retail, electrical, banking, mining, distribution, technology and air transportation.
She frequently contributes to publications, is quoted in the media and speaks at conferences.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Louisiana
- JD, 2005, cum laude, Tulane University Law School, National Moot Court Team member, Certificate for Advanced Studies in Maritime Law, Tulane Maritime Law Journal, Senior Notes and Comments Editor
- BBA, 2001, Marketing, The University of Texas
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP is intensely focused on the energy (including oil and gas, renewables and energy transition), utilities, retail and consumer, and REITs sectors. The Houston office has experienced a notable uptick in debt offering engagements from energy clients and is also making an impact in green bonds and sustainability-linked bonds thanks to the efforts of Courtney Cochran Butler and others. Susan Failla is driving forward the retail and consumer side of the practice, and Peter O’Brien, Steven Friend and Michael Fitzpatrick are leaders in power and utilities transactions. Richmond’s David Wright is a key name in real estate and REIT deals.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Project finance