Richard Spink > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Heads the firm’s Corporate and Financial Institutions Department. Has continued to advise on a variety of UK and cross-border deals this year, acting for a range of corporates, institutions and individuals. Richard continues to be a member of the firm’s international committee.
Trained Freshfields; qualified 1991; Freshfields 1991-93; joined Burges Salmon 1994; partner 1999.
Law Society; Bristol Law Society.
Educated at Cambridge University (1987 MA Law) and (1988 LLM Public International Law); College of Law, Guildford.
Cricket, cycling and rowing.
Bristol-based firm Burges Salmon LLP handles a considerable amount of investor-side venture work as an offshoot of the firm’s broader private equity and corporate finance offering. The team has particular expertise in core areas of sector focus for the firm as a whole, including tech, financial services and energy, with the ‘exceptional’ Richard Spink appreciated for his ability to provide ‘commercial advice’ to institutional investors, as well as a considerable amount for family offices. Mark Shepherd heads the team.
‘Always client-centric, always available‘, Burges Salmon LLP frequently handles buy and sell-side transactions for management teams, sponsors, and investor clients. Based between Bristol and London, practice head Mark Shepherd has most recently worked with portfolio companies in the automotive and leisure sectors. Danny Lee – who divides his time between London and Edinburgh – is experienced in both buyouts and investment transactions, while Richard Spink is a key port of call for the firm’s ultra-high-net-worth client base. Legal director Tim Roberts is also recommended. Andrew Mills, former head of PE at MJ Hudson, joined the team in April 2023. All named lawyers are based between Bristol and London unless stated otherwise.
The ‘extremely proactive’ and ‘competent’ practitioners at the Bristol-based corporate practice at Burges Salmon LLP are noted for their capabilities in energy and technology M&A. Beyond these sectors, the team is experienced in cross-border work in the hotels and leisure, education, healthcare and food and drink arenas. Practice co-chair Nick Graves – a key contact for the firm’s hotels and leisure work – is experienced in M&A, joint ventures, and corporate and regulatory advice pertaining to listing rules and takeover code. Fellow co-chair Rupert Weston is recommended for assistance with M&A, joint ventures, equity market transactions and regulatory issues. Richard Spink is highly praised for his ‘exceptional advice’ and ‘balanced and pragmatic advice.’ Other key figures include Dominic Davis, who specialises in corporate finance work; Mark Shepherd, who heads the private equity team and also advises public and private companies on various transactions; and Camilla Usher-Clark, who specialises in energy, power and utilities work. Chris Godfrey has now adopted a consultant role.
Widely praised by clients for their strength in depth, the ‘fantastic team’ at Burges Salmon LLP is a key port of call for a diverse range of blue-chip corporates, including a number of energy sector operators, tech companies, and private equity firms. Corporate practice chair Nick Graves regularly handles high-value transactions on behalf of a host of leading tech, manufacturing, and engineering companies, while ‘outstanding’ corporate finance partner Rupert Westonis noted for his capabilities in M&A and joint ventures, with recent highlights including major deals on behalf of wealth management firms and investment funds. Other key figures include private equity head Mark Shepherd; corporate and financial institutions lead Richard Spink, who is also sought out for his expertise in private equity-driven transactions; and Dominic Davis, experienced in both public and private company M&A. Alex Lloyd and Tim Roberts are noted for their work in the tech, education, and leisure sectors. Julie Book focuses on private wealth matters.
- Corporate and commercial: Bristol South West > Corporate and commercial
- Leading individuals South West > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport