Rupert Weston > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Corporate Finance unit.
Specialises in corporate finance and company law. Experience includes advising on mergers and acquisitions; flotations; secondary issues; joint ventures; restructurings and general corporate law, with particular expertise in the transport and hotel sectors. Recent experience includes advising ITM Power in relation to a £172m fundraise, advising Darwin Alternatives on its acquisition of Memoria and Low Cost Funerals, advising on the c$50m acquisition of Blue Venn by Upland Software and numerous transactions within the hotel and leisure sector.
Trained Burges Salmon; qualified 1997; partner 2005.
Attended Leeds University (History); College of Law, Guildford (CPE; LPC).
At Burges Salmon LLP, the corporate team is recognised for its expertise in transactions spanning public and private M&A as well as investments. The team continues to have a strong offering in mid-market private equity, counting funds, management teams and portfolio companies amongst its clients. Key sectors for the practice include financial services, technology and renewable energy, where it advises on deals involving energy assets and SPVs. Nick Graves and Rupert Weston jointly lead the team, with wide-ranging experience across the transactional space. Mark Shepherd heads the private equity team and handles a steady stream of mandates in this area, while Richard Spink has notable expertise in cross-border work. Camilla Usher-Clark is another name to note, with a strong track record in the energy and utilities sectors. Amongst the directors in the team, Tim Roberts stands out for his recent work on high-value deals across a range of sectors.
Burges Salmon LLP acts for advisers, brokers and AIM companies on fundraisings and transactions, as well as providing advice in relation to regulatory and compliance issues. The firm’s experience includes public M&A, IPOs, secondary fundraisings, demergers and capital reorganisations. Corporate transactions specialist Nick Graves co-leads the team with Rupert Weston, who focuses on corporate finance work, advising on a range of equity market transactions.
The cross-departmental hotels & leisure group at Burges Salmon LLP is experienced in advising clients across the full spectrum of matters, including investment and development, portfolio management, commercial arrangements and real estate litigation. The heads of team are Rick Read, Rupert Weston and Robert Forman. Read is the practice’s go-to partner for advice on major projects and investments within the sector. Weston is noted for his extensive client list which includes high-profile names such as Zetland Capital and YTL Hotels. Forman also heads the Scottish hospitality and leisure practice; he splits his time between Edinburgh and London.
Working across a number of national offices, Burges Salmon LLP regularly handles a strong mix of mid-market deals for clients in financial services, tech, retail, manufacturing, and energy – where the team is best known for its capabilities in nuclear and renewables. Bristol-based practice chair Nick Graves works with a wide range of public and private companies on joint ventures, capital markets fundraisings, and corporate governance projects. Rupert Weston anchors the firm’s hotel and leisure sector offering, acting for a diverse portfolio of high-profile chains and operators on both domestic and cross-border transactions. Camilla Usher-Clark is noted for her specialist expertise in community energy matters, with recent highlights including linked transactions for some of the biggest names in the market. Jonathan Eves is also recommended.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport