David Sleight > Kingsley Napley LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Kingsley Napley LLP Offices
14 ST JOHN'S LANE
- Go to...
David has an extensive criminal litigation background. Regularly acting for individuals and companies in high profile cases, he specialises in providing advice at the crucial early stages of an investigation. Astute and practical in his approach, David’s early involvement in the case can make the difference between being charged with an offence or not. This includes representing clients who are arrested and interviewed under caution, challenging search warrants and other investigatory powers and making pre-charge representations to the police and prosecuting authorities. Should matters progress to court he is meticulous in his preparation and has a high acquittal rate. Case highlights include representing Cambridge Analytica’s CEO in the Facebook data breach scandal and other high profile matters.
David’s white collar crime practice includes acting for companies and individuals accused of complex financial investigations involving fraud, overseas corruption and Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA). He specialises in defending tax evasion/fraud allegations brought by HMRC and has developed a specialist expertise in advising in cross border tax litigation involving MLA requests between Member States. He is currently representing two separate companies in the on-going “cum ex” trading scandal in Denmark and Germany.
Joined Kingsley Napley 2009, Partner 2014.
Publications of note: The law regarding entrapment (Law Society Gazette); HMRC increasingly takes criminal prosecution route (Wealthbriefing.com).
Law Society; Fraud Lawyers Association.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Having handled a number of transatlantic #metoo cases, the general crime team at Kingsley Napley LLP is regarded as a ‘go to’ firm for Hollywood A-listers, politicians, regulated professionals and sports professionals. Led by Sandra Paul ‘the best criminal partner in London’ and the ‘hugely reassuring’ David Sleight, it covers niche areas such as ‘sextortion’ as well as immigration and extradition cases. Clients can benefit from the firm’s international reach and associated expertise in cross-border matters. Rebecca Niblock is a recognised specialist in extradition. Associate Matthew Hardcastle specialises in pre-charge litigation.
At Kingsley Napley LLP, the tax litigation department is led by David Sleight, who works closely with criminal litigation head Louise Hodges. The group is most noted for handling criminal tax investigations and is often instructed to challenge coercive powers and handle internal investigations. In addition, it is also active in cases involving tax avoidance schemes, VAT claims and compounding settlements.
Focusing primarily on football and motor racing, Kingsley Napley LLP has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious commercial matters, with a strong emphasis on regulatory work, private client and employment. Litigator Sue Thackeray leads the team and is highly experienced in sports-related disputes, particularly concerning civil fraud. Criminal litigator David Sleight has also defended athletes and other sporting professionals against claims of assault, driving offences and tax evasion.
- Crime: general - London > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Leading individuals - London > Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Tax litigation and investigations - London > Dispute resolution
- Sport - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Employment > Senior executives
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Family: mediation
- Private client > Court of protection
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Employment > Health and safety
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Employment > Employers
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Employment > Immigration