Firm Profile > TGS Baltic > Tallinn, Estonia
TGS Baltic Offices
TGS Baltic > The Legal 500 Rankings
Dispute resolution Tier 1
TGS Baltic provides 'priceless strategic and legal advice' on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes, aided by the experience of practice head Paul Varul. The firm has a particular strength in white-collar crime proceedings, having represented clients in several recent high-profile cases, including the Port of Tallinn and Edgar Sarvisaar corruption trials. Other key names include construction and real estate specialist Martin Tamme, who is 'an exceptional lawyer who sees solutions in the most difficult situations', and 'uniquely talented' senior associate Kedli Anvelt. Clients include Credit Suisse, Operall and Swedbank Estonia.
‘In our longstanding relationship they have given priceless strategic and legal advice on multiple legal matters.‘
‘A standout litigation and insolvency firm. The lawyers are able to find innovative solutions.’
Dreymoor Fertilizers Overseas Pte Ltd.
Port of Tallinn
First Telecom Trading
Mr. Marcel Vichmann
North Estonia Medical Centre
TTS Marine AB
Real estate and construction Tier 1
TGS Baltic has a broad offering encompassing infrastructure projects in the renewable energy industry, regulatory advice on real estate development projects and transactions, and advice to cross-border residential property manufacturers. This broad capability is reflected in a strong list of clients, including major construction and logistics companies. Martin Tamme leads the practice, specialising in construction projects, planning, and deals involving distressed assets, a notable strength of the team.
‘Their broad-based knowledge and competence in construction law, public procurement and tax matters is outstanding.’
Timbeco Construction OÜ
Port of Tallinn
Shipping and transport Tier 1
TGS Baltic acts for clients in all relevant sectors, including rail, aviation, road, shipping, fishing, and public transportation. Matters include administrative and criminal disputes, bankruptcy proceedings, transactions, and regulatory advice. The practice is led by 'outstanding' senior associate Martti Peetsalu, a specialist in litigation, restructuring, and insolvency within the shipping and transportation industries. The team advised Royal Vopak N.V and Global Ports Investments PLC on the sale of oil terminal operator Vopak to Abu Dhabi-based Liwathon, a complex deal with Baltic-wide implications. Kristina Laarmaa is now with Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law.
Tax Tier 1
TGS Baltic primarily represents clients in tax disputes, bringing its expertise in tax legislation to bear. The team increasingly seek binding rulings from the Tax and Customs board, and participate as experts in government consultations on tax law. The group also advises clients on tax considerations relating to transactions and corporate restructuring, as well as day-to-day tax concerns such as VAT. The practice is led by litigator Helmut Pikmets, who has argued regularly before the Supreme Court in tax proceedings. Senior associate Sergei Jegorov is highly regarded as a dedicated tax specialist.
‘Innovative team with hands-on experience.‘
Ares Management Corporation
Kreditex Group companies (AB Kreditex, Express Credit and Kreditex Ühisraha)
Arco Vara group
Dreymoor Fertilizers Overseas Pte Ltd
At TGS Baltic, Leonid Tolstov heads the corporate practice, while Kadri Kallas and Sander Kärson jointly lead the M&A group. Highlights included assisting with the $120m financing of Ares Management by Teligent, in which the team advised on the Estonian legal aspects of the deal. The group handles transactions and corporate advisory matters for clients drawn from a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, real estate and transportation/logistics.
Royal Vopak N.V. and Global Ports Investments PLC
Ares Management Corporation
JPJ Group plc
Timbeco Woodhouse OÜ
Eesti Kalatootjate Keskühistu
Employment Tier 2
TGS Baltic acts on a range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including temporary worker contracts, legislative advice, and representing businesses in disputes regarding employee termination and compensation. The practice is led by senior associate Anu Kirss, who primarily acts for clients in the retail, energy, pharmaceutical, and transportation industries.
EU and competition Tier 2
The 'detail-oriented' Triinu Järviste leads the competition team at TGS Baltic, which works on a range of competition matters, including merger control proceedings, abuse of dominance, state aid representation and analysis, and restrictive practices. The team acts for a variety of clients in industries ranging from manufacturing and energy to transport, and the public sector. Highlights included representing Agriland in high-profile proceedings related to the anti-competitive misuse of EU agriculture subsidies. The 'exceptional' Katri Paas-Mohando has a core focus on anti-competitive practices and abuse of dominance.
‘In-depth knowledge of the legal area, including EU case law and legislative developments.’
Estonian Authors’ Society
Operail (formerly EVR Cargo)
Omniva (Estonian Post)
IP, IT and telecoms Tier 3
TGS Baltic's team specialises primarily in data protection compliance work and advice to clients in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, alongside general IT and IP advice for corporate and banking clients. The practice is led by Sander Kärson and Peeter Viirsalu, who handle licensing, IP considerations and cybersecurity matters. The firm's capabilities in IP are demonstrated by its representation of the Estonian Authors' Society in a number of disputes relating to the intellectual property of the group's members.
Estonian Authors’ Society
Estonian Centre of Architecture
TGS Baltic > Firm Profile
The firm: TGS Baltic is a leading full-service commercial law firm in the Baltic States. The firm’s attorneys have an unprecedented experience mix of serving local and international businesses, the public sector, working with the European Central Bank, the European Investment Bank, institutions of the European Union, and collaborating with top-tier international law firms. The firm has been involved in almost all of the major transactions that were completed in the Baltic States since they regained their independence, and is currently involved in the most important strategic energy and infrastructure, corporate and litigation projects in the Baltics.
Areas of practice: Corporate and M&A: the firm gives full-range corporate and M&A advice from establishments to complex restructurings and local and cross-border M&A transactions to trade and PE clients. The firm’s expertise ranges from real estate, retail and energy to IT and pharmaceuticals.
Banking and finance: the firm advises its clients on regulatory issues as well as transactional matters. Its key strengths lie in alternative funding, crowdfunding, payment services and licensing, a sample of which is a pending bank licence for co-operative bank Eesti Ühistupank – a first bank licence in Estonia that is being processed by the ECB.
Regulatory: the firm has wide experience in public procurement, its key strengths being dispute resolution and investigation of offences, including violations of EU structural funds. Its expertise in competition law, particularly in disputes and EC proceedings, is outstanding. The firm also advises on all aspects of IP, pharmaceuticals and energy.
Real estate: the firm has a full-service real estate and construction team offering advice on infrastructure development projects such as commercial and retail property matters including real estate M&A. The team is well known for seamless service for developers as well as managing highly complex projects such as distressed assets M&A, alternative financing schemes, complex joint ventures and solving dead-locks in construction and development projects.
Tax: the firm’s top-tier tax practice handles 30+ tax cases a year. It is especially qualified in tax litigation having been involved in major tax disputes of the region.
Dispute resolution: the firm is also well known for its dispute resolution and litigation practices having been involved in some of the most complex and principal Supreme Court cases. Its wide experience extends from tax litigation to corporate, competition, IP, construction, transport and insolvency disputes.
Insolvency: the firm is historically known for its outstanding insolvency and reorganisation practice led by name partner Paul Varul who has been involved in drafting all legal acts on insolvency and reorganisation law. The firm advises on 50+ insolvency and reorganisation cases annually, including representing major Scandinavian banks such as Swedbank, Nordea and DNB Bank (Luminor after the 2017 merger).
|Litigation and arbitration||Paul Varul|
|Real estate and construction||Martin Tamme|
|Insolvency and restructuring||Paul Varul|
|Insolvency and restructuring||Peeter Viirsalu|
|EU and competition||Katri Paas-Mohando|
|EU and competition||Triinu Järviste|
|Tax advice and tax disputes||Helmut Pikmets|
|IP, IT||Peeter Viirsalu|
|IP, IT||Sander Kärson|
|Shipping and transport||Martti Peetsalu|
|Healthcare and pharmaceuticals||Sander Kärson|
|Healthcare and pharmaceuticals||Ingeri Luik-Tamme|
|Energy and infrastructure||Anu Kirss|
|Mag iur Vitali Šipilov||View Profile|
|Mag iur Kedli Anvelt||View Profile|
|Mag iur Triinu Järviste||View Profile|
|Mag iur Sander Kärson||View Profile|
|Dr Jur Marko Kairjak||View Profile|
|Mag iur Kadri Kallas||View Profile|
|Mag iur Triin Kaurov||View Profile|
|Mag iur Anu Kirss||View Profile|
|Mr Mikk Lõhmus||View Profile|
|Mag iur Ingeri Luik-Tamme||View Profile|
|Mag iur Merli Mäesalu||View Profile|
|Dr iur Katri Paas-Mohando||View Profile|
|Mag iur Martti Peetsalu||View Profile|
|Mr Helmut Pikmets||View Profile|
|Mag iur Martin Tamme||View Profile|
|Mag iur Dmitri Teplõhh||View Profile|
|Dr Jur Leonid Tolstov||View Profile|
|Mr Paul Varul||View Profile|
|Mag iur Peeter Viirsalu||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of partners worldwide : 25
LanguagesEnglish Estonian Finnish French German Latvian Lithuanian Polish Russian
MembershipsInternational Bar Association TerraLex Estonian Bar Association
OtherContact : Martin Tamme (managing partner, email@example.com) Other offices : Riga Other offices : Tartu Other offices : Vilnius Number of other lawyers worldwide : 150+
1. Assisted IRI Investments BV with acquisition of SIA IRI Forest Assets Latvia (formerly SIA Foran Real Estate), one of the largest forest companies, from Storebrand Livsforsikring AS (70.05%), SPP Pension & Forsakring AB (publ) (29.37%), NORSKOG (0.14%) and Gundars Skudrin (0.44%). TGS Baltic assisted IRI Investments BV also with participation in the bidding process for Bergvik Skog forest properties and business in Latvia. Value of the only comparable transaction EUR 324 million;
2. Assisted Euroapotheca UAB pharmacy chain group on signing of a term and revolving syndicated facilities agreement with the total commitment of 185 million euros. Advised pharmacy chain group on receipt of financing from SEB and Swedbank of EUR 185 million;
3. Assisted Belgian investment group Straco with the acquisition of the horticulture company AS Greenyard Horticulture Latvia from Greenyard as a part of acquisition of its horticulture segment. EUR 120 million;
4. Advised Swedish Bergs Timber AB (publ) on the acquisition of Vika Wood and Byko-lat (Latvia), EWP AS and Laesti AS (Estonia) and Norvik Shipping (United Kingdom) from Iceland Norvik hf. EUR 70 million;
5. Advised the Ministry of Economics on the acquisition of 18.31% of the shares of the natural gas transmission and storage system operator AS Conexus Baltic Grid by the Latvian electricity transmission system operator AS Augstsprieguma tikls from the German energy company Uniper Ruhrgas International GmbH. EUR 54 million for 34.36%;
6. Advised the Ministry of Economics on the acquisition of 16.05% of the shares of the natural gas transmission and storage system operator AS Conexus Baltic Grid by the Latvian electricity transmission system operator AS Augstsprieguma tikls from SIA ITERA Latvija. EUR 54 million for 34.36%;
7. Assisted US Camera Company Snap Inc. with opening and closing of operations through its subsidiary in Latvia SIA Snap Latvia. Snap Inc. provides technology and social media services. The company`s flagship product is a mobile camera application Snapchat that helps people to communicate through photos, short videos, images, drawings and texts. Snap serves customers worldwide.
8. Assisted Expobank CZ a.s. with financing of acquisition of Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel by Astor Group (Latvia) from PBR Hotel (USA). The firm carried out full scope assistance to the financing institution, including drafting of the loan and security agreements, including pledge and mortgage agreements, participated in negotiations of the transaction documents and followed up on establishing of securities and fulfilment of the conditions prior to and after the drawdown. Maximum amount of the secured claim is EUR 28 million.
9. Provided legal assistance to IK Investment Partners with acquisition of Carspect AB, SIA Scantest, Autotest Polska Sp. Z.o.o and A-Katsatus OÜ from A-Katsastus Group Oy, a leading vehicle inspection service provider in the Northern Europe.
10. Provided legal services to the Scandinavian financial group Swedbank in relation to the takeover of Danske Bank’s retail business in Latvia and Lithuania. The transaction included accounts of individuals, loans, deposits, payment cards, and securities. EUR 641 million.
11. Assisted the owners of Proplastik in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania with selling of their plastics distribution business to the Europe’s largest wholesaler of plastics Vink Group.
TGS Baltic Latvia office received CEE Legal Matters Deal of the Year Award for advising AS Augstsprieguma tikls on acquisition of stake in Conexus Baltic Grid from Uniper, while TGS Baltic Lithuania office received the award for advising UAB Euroapotheca on acquisition of Apoteksgruppen from Sweden http://ceelegalmatters.com/hungary/8673-a-night-of-celebration-at-cee-deal-of-the-year-awards-banquet-in-prague
TESTIMONIAL: TGS Baltic ensures clear, correct, credible and well substantiated advice in a timely manner. TGS Baltic team is very responsive, fast, competent and efficient. The firm has very knowledgeable and experienced specialists in corporate and M&A, employment, tax and other areas of law that proactively ensure utmost quality advice suited for our business needs. They are internationally very well connected. TGS Baltic is the best legal partner for development of your business locally and cross-borders.
TESTIMONIAL: The team of TGS Baltic has exceptional strategic thinking, exemplary knowledge and understanding of the relevant areas of law and our business: TGS Baltic is highly recommended for the largest and the most complicated cross-border and local commercial issues, M&A transactions and disputes.
TESTIMONIAL: TGS Baltic is a top-notch tax advisor in Latvia. The firms team consists of preeminent tax advisors and distinguished tax litigators that have very deep expertise and extensive experience. They are simply brilliant when it comes to tax advice. TGS Baltic has won a number of tax disputes thereby going straight against the statistics, according to which the tax authorities typically win. Key to their success is in-depth understanding of business, tax, and overall legal framework.