Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): plaintiff in United States
California-based boutique Altshuler Berzon has a strong track record in the representation of labor unions, workers and public entities, among others. The team covers the full spectrum of relevant contentious work, where it is active in class actions, litigation and arbitration proceedings. One forte is its appellate practice before various courts; Michael Rubin is a key contact. James Finberg is experienced in acting for employees wage-and-hour violations, voting rights actions and workplace discrimination matters. Eileen Goldsmith is mainly involved in cases with unions, while Eve Cervantez also knows tenure issues well. Casey Pitts, Barbara Chisholm and Stacey Leyton are other stand-out practitioners.
Other key lawyers:
- Brought a class action against McDonald’s seeking to hold it responsible for failing to protect employees from sexual harassment.
- Litigating a class action against Google alleging it pays women employees less than it pays men with similar qualifications performing similar work.
The members of Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC's civil rights and employment practice group are experienced in acting for employees from various industries in disputes. The focus of the group is on discrimination matters, such as age, race, disabilities, sexual orientation and gender as well as wage-and-hour claims. Practice head Joseph Sellers has more than 40 years of experience acting in the field. He and Christine Webber specialize in particular in class actions, while Kalpana Kotagal is noted for her knowledge in Title VII and Equal Pay Act cases. Shaylyn Cochran was promoted to partner. All mentioned individuals are based in Washington DC.
‘CMST is a top worker-side law firm. The practitioners are smart, proactive, strategic, and incredibly collaborative with other allies and counsel. The firm’s attorneys uniquely reach out to affected worker communities to ensure that the litigation CMST is engaged in is aiming at the right problems and achieves the goals.’
‘Joseph Sellers is one of the smartest, most practical, hard-working attorneys in the business.’
‘Christine Webber’s motivation to provide the highest quality representation for her clients is obvious within a few minutes of speaking with her, and she is confident in her knowledge, skills, and abilities. Her steady demeanor is a calming presence.’
- Continued to represent female sales employees in the nationwide Title VII and Equal Pay Act class action against Sterling Jewelers.
- Co-counselling several African-American workers in a discrimination employment class action lawsuit against MVP Staffing and other temporary staffing agencies and their clients throughout Illinois.
- Representing former employees of IBM Corporation who filed an age discrimination class action against the company in for allegedly violating federal laws prohibiting age discrimination.
- Filing a synchronized wave of individual gender-related pay and promotion discrimination lawsuits against Walmart on behalf of approximately 1800 women who had charges pending before the EEOC.
- Acted for the plaintiffs in a putative class actions filed against Harvard and, separately, MIT for alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act by failing to provide closed captioning in their online lectures, courses, podcasts and other educational materials.
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
One of the core strengths of plaintiff-specialists Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP is representing employees. The team regularly acts in class actions regarding gender and race discrimination, pension plan abuses and wage-and-hour claims, and in whistleblower mandates. Kelly Dermody specializes in the areas of pay equity and #metoo as well as diversity and inclusion. Rachel Geman is a key contact in New York and known for her broad practice. Lin Chan has additional expertise in antitrust and IP law. Daniel Hutchinson is noted alongside Tiseme Zegeye, who recently made partner. Individuals are based in San Francisco unless otherwise stated.
Outten & Golden LLP
Outten & Golden LLP 's team is specialized in representing employees, executives and partners on the plaintiff side of a variety of disputes. Areas of expertise include acting in class actions, litigation and arbitration in harassment and discrimination, wage and overtime, and terminations related proceedings, among others. Managing partner Adam Klein is an expert in handling class actions in particular in the financial services and technology industry. Cara Greene is highly involved in the firm's family responsibility and disability discrimination practice group. San Francisco-based Jahan Sagafi is a specialist in exploitation class actions. Sally Abrahamson is well versed in sexual orientation lawsuits. Other prominent practitioners are Tammy Marzigliano, Molly Brooks, Darnley Stewart, Justin Swartz and Wendi Lazar as well as Laurence Moy, Kathleen Peratis and Ossai Miazad. Lori Deem and Rachel Bien are key contacts in Chicago and San Francisco respectively. Individuals are based in New York unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
- Filed a class action against Facebook alleging that older and female Facebook users have been denied advertisements about financial services opportunities on Facebook.
Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian & Ho
The Oakland-based team at Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian & Ho is specialized in litigation proceedings and class actions relating to employment discrimination, wage and hour violations, and disability access cases. The team includes of counsel David Borgen, who is an expert when it comes to matters relating to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); California-legislature specialist Laura Ho; and Linda Dardarian, who is well versed in disabilities rights. Another name to note is Andrew Lee.
With offices in Minneapolis and San Francisco, Nichols Kaster is a law firm specialized in acting for employees and consumers. The team focuses on wage-and-hour disputes, whistleblower actions, wage fixing, and discrimination and harassment claims. James Kaster, Rachhana Srey and David Schlesinger are noted team members in Minneapolis, so are Matthew Helland and associate Daniel Brome in San Francisco.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented a police officer in a whistleblower case.
- Obtained a class action settlement for 198 drivers who delivered packages for Amazon Logistics through Nationwide Express.