Allen & Gledhill LLP's well-established disputes practice is the 'to go to for efficient and effective legal advice and solutions', fielding an experienced group of 'first-class lawyers' in international arbitration alongside disputes in banking, corporate, regulatory enforcement, and white-collar crime, among others. Key figures on the sizeable team include Stanley Lai, a specialist in commercial and IP disputes, and William Ong and Vincent Leow for financial and securities-related disputes. Peh Aik Hin, Tan Kai Liang, and Ramesh Kumar are recommended for commercial litigation, while Jason Chan's practice focuses on regulatory and white-collar criminal cases.
Dispute resolution: local firms in Singapore
‘Ramesh Kumar has always been willing to give his opinion and honest feedback even when it may be not what we wanted to hear. He was excellent at identifying the key issues we needed to address and kept us focussed on the end game. ‘
‘The team in A&G is one of the best dispute resolution practices in Singapore to go to for efficient and effective legal advice and solutions. The partners are very hands-on and give practical and solutions focused advice.’
‘I highly commend partner Tan Kai Liang. He is exceptionally gifted in strategizing and has an uncanny ability to cut through the chase in complex situations to give spot-on advice.’
‘A&G’s disputes practice is very experienced, with partners who have been with the firm for a long time.’
‘The team constantly punches above its weight and their collective knowledge is just as good if not better than the best of international law firms.’
‘I have the privilege of working with William Ong. I appreciate William’s practical approach to legal and commercial issues. William never fails to disappoint with his ability to distill the issues and bring about an amicable and (most importantly) commercially palatable resolution to any situation. ‘
‘Very strategic in advice and delivers consistently high-quality advice. Always reliable. Extremely responsive and are subject matter experts in their field. First-class lawyers.’
‘Peh Aik Hin – one of the best in class in his field. His depth of knowledge in dispute resolution matters is outstanding. Able to deliver quick, simple, and practical advice and has the energy and perseverance to see through very complex and difficult matters. His client management is also first class. With Aik Hin on your side, you will not have to worry about the quality of legal advice and work. It is always consistently excellent.’
‘Mr Vincent Leow is the go-to lawyer for all Singapore litigation and arbitration matters. Excellent lawyer with a first-class mind, who always ensures his clients’ interests are properly protected. He is extremely knowledgeable with an innate ability to navigate myriad regulations with ease and balance.’
‘Tan Kai Liang deserves special mention. Incredibly smart, very impressive, and an all-rounded lawyer. Absolutely top drawer and has a great capacity for hard work.’
- Acting for BTHMB, an integrated cryptocurrency issuer, in proceedings in the Singapore Court against its former director Dr Kim Byung Gun, one of South Korea’s most prominent plastic surgeons who also operates a cosmetic surgery clinic in Singapore. This case is part of a large-scale dispute involving the issuance of BXA Coin.
- Acting for Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation in successful enforcement of banking mortgage, a case of valuable importance to banks and financial institutions which offer all-monies mortgages in corporate lending.
- Represented Kiri Industries Limited, listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange in China in the largest valuation to be heard in the Singapore International Commercial Court relating to a joint venture company.
Drew & Napier LLC's team is lauded as 'reputable, professional, tactical and knowledgeable', particularly in high-profile matters before the Singapore and international courts, alongside a wealth of experience in cross-border arbitration and litigation disputes. Of particular note are Cavinder Bull, Jimmy Yim, Siraj Omar, SC, and Randolph Khoo who have extensive courtroom experience in commercial litigation and arbitration across a number of sectors. Rakesh Kirpalani is a 'fantastic litigator' in the realm of technology and intellectual property; Blossom Hing and Wendell Wong are recommended for shareholder, corporate restructuring, and criminal law disputes, respectively. Adam Maniam, Mahesh Rai, and senior associate Bryan Wong make up the other key figures.
Jimmy Yim Chairman, Drew & Napier LLC Managing Director, Dispute Resolution department; Cavinder Bull Chief Executive Officer, Drew & Napier LLC; Randolph Khoo Deputy Managing Director, Dispute Resolution department
Other key lawyers:
‘Drew & Napier LLC always provide professional and strategical advice on dispute resolution and all advices are provided with high efficiency. The law firm is rich in resources in different countries.’
‘Mr. Rakesh Kirpalani from Drew & Napier LLC is a person of integrity and he always provides wise, deliberate, and prompt advice. He is proficient both in English and Chinese, which makes very smooth, thorough, and clear communication. Furthermore, he is skilled in debate and has a clear mind and a wide range of knowledge.’
‘Reputable, professional, resourcefulness, diligence, tactical, knowledgeable. They made me, as their client, so easy to undertake my role & responsibilities as the plaintiff acting on behalf of my company.’
‘Randolph Khoo – Randolph showed leadership on how he would present the facts across to the arbitrator and asked if there were gaps to be closed. ‘
‘Absolute experts in terms of local legal issues coupled with valuable global/cross-border experience. Very high commercial acumen and general intellect across the entire team, not just leaders. Multi-language capability. These practitioners are genuinely pleasant to work with. Collaborative and not adversarial in terms of dealing with any legal team issues.’
‘I worked very closely with Rakesh Kirpalani – Director of Dispute Resolutions & Information Technology, Chief Technology Officer. He is a fantastic litigator, thinks very fast in the courtroom, and is not fazed by any curve ball thrown at him in court.’
‘Rakesh Kirpalani is an excellent lawyer as he is very detailed. Goes the extra mile to provide prompt advice when time is of the essence.’
ABN AMRO Bank N.V., Singapore
AIA Singapore Private Limited
Altesse Asset Management
Amara Hotel Properties Pte Ltd
Becton, Dickinson and Company
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company
Creative Technology Pte Ltd
Daelim Industrial Company Ltd.
Hyundai Engineering & Steel Industries Co. Ltd
Johnson & Johnson Pte Ltd
JP Morgan Chase Bank
KS Energy Limited
Marina Bay Sands
Naseer Ahmad Akhtar & Infotech Group (Pakistan)
PSA Corporation Limited
TWG Tea Company Pte Ltd,
V V Technology Pte Ltd
- Representing the Lao Government in the first known investor-state arbitration ever commenced against the Lao Government. It involves a long-running and high-profile dispute between the Lao Government and two investors in its gaming and casino industry, which has presently led to at least eight sets of arbitration proceedings and Court actions between the parties.
- Acted for members of the De La Sala family in one of the largest trust cases ever to be brought before the Singapore Courts, involving assets estimated to be worth over US$600 million located in Canada and Singapore.
- Acting for client in a $650 million in involving, amongst other things, theft of certain shares worth around US$37 million. This complex cross-border matter also involves an anti-suit injunction before the Singapore Courts to restrain proceedings in the US.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP 'offers diverse and practical solutions' led by industry specialists in company law, shipping, real estate, and criminal investigations representing at all levels of the Singapore courts. In banking disputes, Lee Eng Beng SC successfully persuaded the Court of Appeal in a landmark case to recognize the Brickenden rule as part of Singapore law and to affirm the scope of its application for equitable claims involving breaches of fiduciary duties. Department head Francis Xavier specialises in international arbitration and cross-border commercial litigation, and is supported by 'a skilled and synergetic team' comprising of Andre Yeap, Kelvin Poon, Adrian Wong, and Paul Tan. Danny Ong is highlighted for his experience in fintech and financial sector disputes.
‘We have worked with a number of key members of the Rajah & Tann team, each contributing unique yet complementary strengths, culminating in a vastly skilled, responsive, and synergetic team. Danny should be recognised for his agility of thought in problem-solving, clearly drawing this from his multi-jurisdictional experience’.
‘The team is able to offer diverse and practical solutions, responds promptly to timelines, and is always well-prepared. It is reassuring to have matters placed in the hands of the team as it is able to dedicate resources to study the issues and offer solutions.’
Prudential Assurance Co Singapore
White Energy Company Ltd (Australia)
Swiber Holdings Limited and Swiber Offshore Construction Pte Ltd
AnAn Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Alfa Bank of Russia
ST Group Co Ltd
OUE Lippo Healthcare Limited
M Development Limited
World Fuel Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Kong Hoo (Pte) Ltd
BHP Billiton Marketing AG (Singapore Branch) and BHP Billiton Marketing Asia Pte Ltd
China Medical Technologies Inc
Oxley Holdings Limited
- Acted for Prudential against its former Group Financial Services Director for breach of contract and fiduciary duties involving a mass departure of close to 250 advisors.
- Acting for White Energy Company in seeking damages following latest win in S$1 billion dispute coal dispute against PT Bayan for breaching joint venture obligations.
- Representing Vedanta Limited in two applications before the High Court of Singapore relating to a UNCITRAL Singapore-seated arbitration arising from its claims, which are valued in excess of US$3 billion, against the Republic of India under the United Kingdom-India Bilateral Investment Treaty arising from India’s retrospective usage of legislation to impose capital gain taxes and interest in relation to certain sale proceeds.
WongPartnership LLP's comprehensive dispute practice handles a range of contentious work on behalf of government entities, multinational corporates, shareholders, and private individuals across a wide range of practices such as commercial, banking, and white-collar crime. The practice is jointly led by Alvin Yeo, Chee Meng Tan, and Sean Yu Chou and includes Swee Yen Koh, a 'commercial-minded and tenacious lawyer' in high-value commercial and corporate disputes and cases involving fraudulent misconduct, and Melanie Ho, who specialises in criminal investigations. Construction-related litigation is another key area of focus, predominantly handled by Ian de Vaz and Christopher Chuah.
‘Wong Partnership is very unique in their services and strategies and the team that we worked with Melanie Ho Team is amazing. We have worked with several lawyers and legal practitioner in the past but WP standard sets a very high quality of work.’
‘Melanie Ho is very performance-minded and they are very focus and full-hearted in their work. I have never seen this kind of work commitment in our previous engagement with top tier law firm.’
‘Koh Swee Yen deserves a special mention, a strategists and a far-sighted individual with a knack of putting people at ease with her sincerity and personable demeanour.’
‘The team is prompt, efficient, and driven. They are very pro-client but yet balanced to be able to advise whether a settlement should be reached as a compromise to ensure that unnecessary legal costs are not incurred, even though the case may be strong in our favour.’
‘Koh Swee Yen is a very tenacious lawyer, commercial-minded, yet shrewd and effective. She negotiates hard but is prepared to advise on a settlement for the good of her clients.’
Element Six Technologies Ltd (subsidiary of the De Beers Group)
J&F Investimentos S.A., Joesley Mendonça Batista, Wesley Mendonça Batista
William Soerjonegoro & Partners
Sun Travels & Tours Pvt Ltd
Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch
EC Prime Pte Ltd
Sunbreeze Group Investments Limited, Mr Manoj Mohan Murjani, Mrs Kanchan Manoj Murjani
- Successfully defended Deutsche Bank in the largest private banking litigation in Singapore. The Plaintiffs sued DB for US$282 million, seeking to hold DB liable for the entirety of their investment losses in advisory accounts that they held with DB. The High Court dismissed the Plaintiffs’ claims.
- Successfully obtained judgment in Element Six Technologies Ltd’s (a subsidiary of the De Beers Group) favour, in a complex patent infringement action relating to patents for synthetic single crystal CVD diamonds.
- Successfully defended J&F Investimentos S.A, Brazil’s largest private economic group, in a complex multi-party suit arising from the proposed issuance of bonds in the amount of US$500 million in Singapore.
Boutique dispute resolution and international arbitration practice Davinder Singh Chambers consists of a 'world-class team' led by name partner Davinder Singh, who according to one client is 'one of Singapore's best advocates'. The practice is currently involved in a number of high-profile cases in the Singapore courts; among them acting for the Prime Minister of Singapore in various defamation actions including a high-profile claim against a blogger. Jaikanth Shankar's practice spans international commercial litigation and arbitration, insolvency, and investigations, while Pardeep Singh Khosa has an active shareholder dispute practice and claims involving professional negligence, public and administrative law.
‘They are the absolute best in the business. Other firms pale in comparison to Davinder Singh Chambers. This is very clear from having worked with different firms. The amount of energy, effort, resources, etc. into addressing each and every issue is at a consistent 110%. The team has world-class capabilities and through their strategies, posturing, positioning, it is so clear that they are not only diligent but also extremely clever and conscious of every single issue that is on their ever-growing plate.’
‘Davinder Singh Chambers consists of a small but very very special group whom without fail, puts their clients best interest first. This world-class team is extremely diligent and works tirelessly throughout the day/night. They give attention to every little detail and never waver. The strategies formulated by them through in-depth thinking and discussion, allow the clients to grasp the strategy with ease. It is clear that the culture as explained above ripples throughout the firm, and that is why their work produced, compared to others, is on a different level.’
‘Davinder is an exceptional advocate and is supported by a very capable team of lawyers.’
‘Davinder has been and is one of Singapore’s best advocates. He has the ability to distill the essence of a case and knows precisely the attack points that are required to win a case.’
Attorney-General’s Chambers of Brunei Darussalam.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
PT Bayan Resources Tbk and Bayan International Pte Ltd.
Beneficiaries of the estate of Mustafa s/o Majid Khan
Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council
Boustead Projects Limited
BP Singapore Pte Ltd, Glencore Singapore Pte Ltd
Oei Hong Leong and Oei Hong Leong Art Museum Limited
Millenia Pte Ltd
Pacific Globe Enterprises Limited.
Bright Assets Enterprises Limited
EQ Capital Investments Ltd
Rex International Holding Company/Rev International Investments Pte Ltd
- Acting for the Attorney-General’s Chambers of Brunei Darussalam in connection with criminal appeals involving two former Bruneian judicial officers who were convicted of offences of criminal breach of trust and money-laundering of BND15.75 million.
- Successfully acted for Mr Goh and Pacific Globe Enterprises in an approximately US$16 million dispute in the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- Represented PT Bayan Resources Tbk and Bayan International Pte Ltd in a US$153 million cross-border dispute arising from a coal mining joint venture.
As part of a large multi-jurisdictional disputes practice, Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP is mandated by financial institutions, corporates, and private individuals on complex and high-value corporate and commercial litigation, as well as claims arising in construction, infrastructure, medical negligence, and family trusts. Philip Jeyaretnam is 'head and shoulders above the competition' as an experienced litigator in commercial, engineering, and wills and estate cases. Siang Pheng Lek defends hospitals and medical professionals in medical negligence claims. Lawrence Teh is experienced in disputes involving international trade and commodities, banking, maritime, and aviation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong, experienced team, easy to work with, responsive, technically very good, practical/commercial as well’
‘The team under Mr Philip Jeyaretnam worked seamlessly on two pieces of litigation for my family and for a company in which my fund had invested. Each member of his team was knowledgeable, well researched, and intense. Every relevant detail of the cases was thought through and masterfully presented.’
‘Philip Jeyaretnam led the team which handled two pieces of litigation for my family and a portfolio company. All of them involve complex issues of law. He won both cases through a masterful analysis of trust and equity law, which outflanked his opposing senior counsels, who focused on intention.’
‘I have had the opportunity to observe Philip in action both in submissions and in cross-examination. As a cross-examiner, he is both deft and robust, able to adapt his style and technique depending on the witness and the court. In oral submissions, he gains the confidence of the court with his clarity, candour, and moral force.’
‘Philip is decisive and gives clients clear advice and strategic direction. He is a star litigator who is surprisingly understated. As a dispute resolution lawyer, Philip is clearly head and shoulders above the competition.’
‘Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP performed exceptionally well with Philip Jeyaretnam, SC leading the way on this matter. ‘
Bachmeer Capital Limited
Gold Star Aviation
Group Lease Holdings
Iljin Electric Co., Ltd
Jurong Primewide Pte Ltd, a unit of Surbana Jurong
Meinhardt International Group
PNG Sustainable Development Program Limited (PNGSDP)
PSK Asia Inc. Ltd.
VTB Bank PJSC
- Successfully defended PNG Sustainable Development Program Ltd (PNGSDP) against the State of State of Papua New Guinea.
- Represented the respondents, Group Lease Holdings, Mitsuji Konoshita and five other defendants in Singapore for alleged fraudulent misrepresentations and conspiracy in relation to certain investments made by JTrust Asia, into parent company, Group Lease Public Co Ltd.
- Instructed by King & Wood Mallesons on behalf of CRRC (Hong Kong) Co. Limited and CRRC Hongkong Capital Management to act in two Singapore High Court proceedings against a guarantor. The subsidiaries were bondholders to the tune of USD 60 million in relation to bonds issued by Midas Holdings Limited, a high profile company previously listed on the SGX.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow 'brings the best of its global expertise and experience to Singapore' and is regularly instructed by international corporates to litigate at all levels of Singapore court, owing to its extensive network in the South-East Asia region. Core areas of expertise include financial services, oil and gas, construction, healthcare, technology, and shipping. Nandakumar Ponniya and Celeste Ang are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Baker Mckenzie brings the best of its global expertise and experience to Singapore through its dispute resolution team here. It is really the only firm to consider for cross-border disputes and its team in Singapore ably complements its cross-border credentials, with an excellent domestic disputes practice.’
Senda International Capital
David Andrew Storey
- Represented Siemens in three concurrent actions in the Singapore Courts, defending against claims relating to the fabrication of structural components for a major oil and gas facility in Russia.
- Acting for JTrust Asia Pte Ltd, in its claim against Group Lease Holdings Ltd, Mitsuji Konoshita (a director of GLH), Cougar Pacific Pte Ltd and four Cyprus companies for unlawful means conspiracy, in respect of JTrust’s investments in Group Lease Public Company Limited, the Thai-listed parent company of GLH.
- Represented Senda International Capital Limited, a majority shareholder of a Singapore joint venture company, DyStar Global Holding (Singapore) Pte Ltd in a claim for minority oppression.
Cavenagh Law LLP
Cavenagh Law LLP is a boutique disputes practice acting in alliance with Clifford Chance, offering global capability and along with specialist in cross-border insolvency, shareholder, construction, trust, and investment disputes, with a strong defence practice in professional indemnity & negligence, and white-collar crime. Nish Shetty and Paul Sandosham are the leading partners. Joan-Lim Casanova advises Chinese private and state-owned entities in commercial litigation and arbitral disputes in Asia.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting on a high value trust dispute between different factions of a family involving the determination of the beneficial owners of several corporate entities in BVI, Panama, Hong Kong and Singapore and their assets.
- Advising the Bank as Trustee of a US$500 million Islamic Bond, in relation to the default and on- going judicial management proceedings (supervised by the Singapore High Court) of the obligor under the Islamic Bond.
- Representing a large multi-national corporation in a Singapore High Court litigation to recover funds which it had been mistakenly induced to transfer to a Singapore-incorporated company as a result of an email phishing fraud.
K&L Gates Straits Law LLC
With a strong focus on commercial litigation, K&L Gates Straits Law LLC acts for an impressive list of financial institutions, local corporates, and individual litigants in their local, regional, and international disputes. N Sreenivasan regularly acts for private clients as defendants in cases involving financial, accounting, and fraud angles. He also undertakes arbitration, trial, and appellate advocacy work. Palaniappan Sundararaj of Straits Law is a recommended advocate for medical cases, banking, and trade disputes.
‘Aggressive but pragmatic. And aware that their juniors have to add value before they can be charged out.’
‘Sreenivasan is under-rated. His experience across areas is invaluable in the assessment of the risks of any particular strategy.’
General Hotel Management (Singapore) Pte Ltd
General Hotel Management, Ltd
Sim Pei San, Sim Pei Yee, Overseas Students Placement Centre Pte, and Jiu Mao Miu Hotpot Pte Ltd
Ng Ai Food Industries Pte Ltd
Bank of India (Singapore Branch)
ICICI Bank Limited
State Bank of India (Singapore Branch)
Aesthetic Medical Partners Pte Ltd
- Representing John Soh Chee Wen – described by the Singapore authorities as “the most extensive case of market manipulation and securities fraud in Singapore”
- Appealing a High Court decision dismissing an application to set aside an arbitral award in front of the Singapore Court of Appeal on behalf of a prominent, high-net worth married couple. The Award is in excess of S$720 million and the underlying agreement that was subject to dispute was a Purchase & Sale Agreement valued over INR 198 billion.
- Acted for AMPPL, a company which operated a chain of popular aesthetic medical clinics called “PPP Laser Clinic”, in a High Court suit brought by one of its shareholders, Liberty Sky Investments Limited.
Boutique disputes practice LVM Law Chambers LLC is 'dynamic and responsive' and is led by Lok Vi Ming SC who is an 'exceptionally capable attorney' acting alongside a team of 'younger lawyers who are driven and eager to give their best'. The team has a strong offering in commercial litigation and international arbitration with an impressive client base of domestic and international corporate clients across several sectors. Ming is a well-respected figure for litigation involving insurance, aviation, and trusts. Another key partner Joseph Lee has a strong following among clients in China and Hong Kong.
‘Joseph Lee and Leo Zhi Wei provide incisive and cost-effective advice.’
‘Lok Vi Ming, the managing partner of the firm is an exceptionally capable attorney. Regardless of his position, he keeps his eye on the case and gives the most appropriate instruction to his team whenever necessary.’
‘The team led by Lok Vi Ming SC is dynamic and responsive. We have instructed them on several dispute matters and they have always exceeded our expectations.’
‘Team is made up of younger lawyers who are driven and eager to give their best.’
‘Waltan is able to explain legal concepts in an easy manner for the client, and possess great knowledge in the industry.’
‘The team specialises in commercial dispute resolution, they are a pretty new set-up and helmed by Lok Vi Ming S.C., a well-known litigator, with years of experience. They have a team of capable and professional lawyers in the firm, lean yet dynamic team. Good bonding with clients.’
‘The willingness to go the extra mile to assist clients and instructing solicitors, and the exceptional effort that is put into every case. Mr Lok Vi Ming, S.C. (Managing Director), and Mr Joseph Lee (Deputy Managing Director) stand out for me.’
‘LVM is highly effective in and out of court. What sets them apart is their broad range of expertise.’
‘Mr Lok Vi Ming (SC) is highly experienced and respected in the industry. This allows him a substantial amount of leverage in any negotiation and dispute avoidance.’
‘The team has excellent knowledge and experience in the type of suit we are in. They worked closely as a team to study our case and makes good recommendations to advance the case. The team, from Associates, to Seniors to the Partner kept us constantly updated on the progress as well as provided excellent advice along the different milestones.’
‘Mr Lok Vi Ming stands out as being the Partner with vast and in-depth knowledge and experience on dispute resolution matters. His advice is practical, realistic, and in tune with the industry and business environment. His honest, reliable, down to earth attitude and level of concern given to our matters, regardless of size or issue, is a rarity among peers.’
‘With a team of experienced lawyers, LVM stands out as a great alternative to large legal firms. They deliver the services professionally with a great personal experience.’
The Renewable Energy Corporation Group
BDO RCS Auditores Independentes S.S.
J.G. Jewellery Pte Ltd
Elush T3 Pte Ltd
John Manners & Company Limited
Derrick Wong & Lim BC LLP
Prabhakaran Narayanan Nair
MS First Capital Insurance Ltd
Liu Cheng Chan (deceased); Chik Sau Kam
Koh Kim Teck
Lendlease Singapore Pte Ltd
Chan Pik Sun
Lim Hui Mei; Terence Fernandez
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Geetex Enterprises Pte Ltd
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
CIMB Bank Berhad
Unipec Singapore Pte. Ltd
- Acted for a multinational accounting and audit company sued in the Singapore High Court in respect of certain reports and confirmations contained in the financial statements and Offering Memoranda pursuant to which bonds amounting to US$500 million were intended to be listed by a foreign based company on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited.
- Acted for the third party escrow agents in an international banking scheme for social housing in Brazil in the High Court of Singapore.
- Acting for a client in a massive fraud perpetuated by one of the largest oil trading firms in South East Asia amounting to more than US$100million.
Shook Lin & Bok LLP is a well-known disputes practice, headed by David Chan, and is a reputable name for continuous work in corporate and commercial, banking, employment, construction, and white-collar crime arenas. The firm also demonstrates an excellent capability to handle insolvency, professional negligence, and product liability matters. Chan and Sarjit Singh Gill SC are also highlight recommended for international commercial arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for the Independent Panel of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council in an action filed on behalf of the Town Council against its current members and elected members of Parliament, following an investigation of fraud and misrepresentation of payments.
- Acting for a number of investors as preference shareholders in a fund and suspect that the fund is being mismanaged and/or assets siphoned off by the directors.
- Acting the plaintiff, a British commodities trader in its action to recover payment for unpaid commodities sold to the defendant, a Singapore incorporated commodities trading company.
TSMP Law Corporation bolstered its disputes capability with the addition of a new senior director and former Deputy Solicitor-General, Jeffrey Chan Wai Teck, who lends his extensive in commercial arbitration, public law, criminal law, and investment disputes to the robust practice. The firm is particularly well known for its representation of financial institutions and companies operating in the construction and engineering sector. Key figures include Thio Shen Yi SC, for commercial litigation; Adrian Tan for technology and IP disputes, and Melvin Chan for contentious construction matters.
Compagnia de Navegacion Palomar, S.A. (Panama)
Cosmopolitan Finance Corporation (BVI)
Dominion Corporation S.A. (Panama)
John Manners & Co (Malaya) Pte Ltd
Peninsular Navigation Company (Pte) Ltd (BVI)
Straits Marine Company Pte Ltd (BVI)
Peter Tan Shou Yi
YTL PowerSeraya Pte. Limited (“YTLPS”) and Seraya Energy Pte Ltd (“SE”)
The Kheng Chiu Tin Hou Kong and Burial Ground (“THK”)
Royston Moh Tai Suan
Industries Chimiques du Senegal
Longmen Group Ltd
Singapore Medical Council
- Acting for the six Plaintiffs in a groundbreaking US$600 million trust dispute – one of the largest in Singapore – that has spanned eight years and counting.
- Acting for a top senior financial services manager in an S$2.5 billion claim by Prudential over alleged mass poaching of agents.
- Advising a group of 300 agents who left Great Eastern’s Advisors Alliance Group to join AIA Financial Advisors on various legal, compliance and regulatory issues.
Jonathan Choo is the go-to litigator at Bird & Bird ATMD LLP for complex and high-value international arbitrations, particularly in the areas of technology, intellectual property, construction, and aviation, among others. The Singapore arm is fully integrated within the firm's global disputes practice and is able to coordinate proceedings across Asia. The practice has strengthened its commercial litigation and contentious regulatory and investigations offering with the hire of Lijun Chui from Clifford Chance in October 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Cathay Overseas Investment Limited
Hearti Lab Pte Ltd
Retrospect Investment (S) Pte Ltd and Permenpronic Technologies Pte Ltd
Roche (Hong Kong and Singapore)
Divtone Entertainment Private Limited (fka COZMIC Group Pte Ltd)
Verdane Art Invest AS
Voltas Limited – a TATA group company
- Acting for Voltas in multiple Singapore court proceedings against a sub-contractor, Yong Chan Metal Engineering Pte Ltd., and the directing- mind director in an insolvency setting. (Please refer to Publishable Matter 1 for further details)
- Acting for the Singapore and Hong Kong subsidiaries of Swiss listed pharmaceutical and diagnostic giant Roche against their former C-suite employee for serious breaches of his employment agreement and misappropriation of funds across multiple jurisdictions. (Please refer to Publishable Matter 4 for further details)
- Acting for Hearti Lab Pte Ltd, a prominent local FinTech company providing Enterprise Platform Using A.I & Blockchain for the insurance sector, in its defence and counterclaim against an IT software company in Singapore court proceedings. (Please refer to Publishable Matter 6 for further details)
Edmund Kronenburg is the lead partner at Braddell Brothers LLP, a boutique firm specialising in all forms of dispute resolution. Kronenburg's varied practice spans commercial litigation and arbitration across a diverse range of industries, such as energy, mining, telecoms, and traditional corporate disputes. He is also instructed as defence counsel by the Singapore Medical Council in medical professional disciplinary hearings and by private clients in medical negligence claims before the Singapore court.
‘They are very knowledgeable in their area of work and most importantly they are very patient in guiding the client on what are the supporting documents required from the client and going thru the details and necessary make clarification on it.’
‘Edmund is very experience and he provide good guidance to his team as well as very diligent and details in review the work that was done by his team before any filing was done with the court.’
BASF Intertrade AG (Singapore Branch)
beIN Asia Limited & beIN Sports Asia Pte Limited
Carol Ann Armstrong (Executrix of The Estate of Traynor Peter, deceased)
IG3 Infra Limited
ETL Power Services Ltd
Autodesk Asia Pte Ltd & Autodesk Ltd, Japan
Wondershare Technology Co. Limited
True Yoga Pte Ltd, True Fitness (STC) Pte Ltd & True Fitness Pte Ltd
RSM Corporate Advisory Pte Ltd
Phix Pte Ltd (on the instructions of Intelleigen Legal LLC)
Singapore Medical Council
- Acting for two Indian corporations – IG3 Infra Limited & ETL Power Services Ltd – in a complex multi-party claim worth $86 million, brought against them by Mauritian corporation – lIRF HOLDINGS II LIMITED, alleging breaches of directors’ duties, minority oppression, siphoning off of funds and dissipation of corporate assets.
- Acting for Garuda Indonesia, the national airline of Indonesia, in a variety of claims involving parties from multiple jurisdictions. These claims pertain to aircraft lease agreements, corporate guarantees and unlawful payments made by certain aircraft manufacturers to the former management of Garuda, recently resulting in convictions for corruption in the Indonesian courts.
- Representing the Singapore and Japanese subsidiaries of Autodesk Inc., in legal proceedings against their former senior employee and various sub-contractors involving breaches of fiduciary duties, misrepresentation, conspiracy and fraud.
With a strong focus on construction disputes, CNPLaw LLP is instructed by developers and main contractors on engineering disputes. Key contact Soo Ling See Tow's varied practice also spans commercial disputes, property litigation, and claims involving IP and family law and probate.
- Acted for Singapore Dental Council as prosecuting counsel in the Disciplinary Inquiry hearing against the respondent.
Harry Elias Partnership
Managing partner Philip Fong heads the Harry Elias Partnership office in Singapore, which has formally ended its alliance with international firm Eversheds in July 2020. Fong is a well-known figure for white-collar crime investigations and related litigation but it is also regularly instructed on disputes in or over contracts, shares, companies, property, professional negligence, trusts, and wills.
Novellers Pte Ltd
Dextra Partners Pte Ltd
Bernhard Wilhelm Rudolf Weber
SMRT Corporation Limited
Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd
- Represented Novellers Pte Ltd in a Singapore High Court suit. The opposing party, Btech Engineering Pte Ltd had commenced a claim against Novellers allegedly for unpaid invoices which were issued pursuant to an oral agreement between Btech and Novellers.
- Represented Dextra Partners Pte Ltd and Bernhard Wilhelm Rudolf Weber in defending the suit for breach of trust.
- Advised and acted for Meinhardt Singapore Pte to resist a claim by Bimage Consulting Pte Ltd in the Singapore High Court for work done in relation to the Building Information Modelling for the Hamad International Airport Expansion Project.
The Morgan Lewis Stamford LLC disputes team is comprised of 'extremely responsive and brilliant strategists', led by Wendy Tan and Daniel Chia, and is particularly active in commercial, corporate, and financial disputes. Tan is highlighted for her knowledge of the shipping industry, and is a go-to litigator for disputes arising in the course of international trade and commodities, energy, insurance, and logistics sectors. Fellow litigator Chia 'is a first-class lawyer across a huge range of practice areas'.
‘They are extremely responsive and brilliant strategists. They look outside the box to solve complex legal issues.’
‘Daniel Chia is a first-class lawyer across a huge range of practice areas. He is the go-to attorney for litigation in both commercial and white-collar cases and my first phone call in Singapore.’
‘Impressive team with very skilled individuals, especially lead partner Wendy Tan. High quality of work and always prompt. Fair billing practices.’
‘Wendy Tan. Highly responsive, an excellent strategist, and someone we could really count on to protect our interests. Provides sensible and practical advice and goes above and beyond for her clients.’
PetroChina International (Singapore), the trading arm of state-owned Chinese energy giant PetroChina Co Ltd
OMG Capital Pte Ltd
Shanghai Shipyard Co., Ltd
Christopher Stanley Wanden
Viking HVAC Pte Ltd
PTT, Thailand’s national oil company
Andrew Ling Hui, Providence Asset Management, 5&2 Pte Ltd
Arup Singapore Pte Ltd
Tembusu Partners, Tembusu Growth Fund II Ltd
Advanced Wellness Solutions
Michael J Servatius Tillmann
COSCO Group – Cosco Petroleum Pte Ltd and Sinfeng Marine Services Pte Ltd
- Advising PetroChina International on issues arising out of the insolvency of Hin Leong Trading, one of Asia’s largest fuel traders and bunker suppliers, and its shipping arm, Ocean Tankers Pte Ltd which operates a fleet of FSU and tankers.
- Successfully defended Arup Singapore Pte Ltd against a Singapore High Court claim initiated by Global Switch, a worldwide operator of data centres. This was the first known case involving a claim of defective design of a data centre.
- Representing fund manager Providence Asset Management in a complex dispute with multiple parties spanning seven lawsuits. The matter involves allegations of fraud, breaches of fiduciary duties, misrepresentation and deceit against numerous parties in relation to various activities, including cryptocurrency trading, the purchase of offshore banking entities in the Caribbean and Africa, marijuana farms in the United States and Bitcoin deals in Europe.
Oon & Bazul LLP
Offering local and international expertise Oon & Bazul LLP ‘are able to get into the detail of the case and at the same time provide a strategic perspective‘. The team is active in a range of industries but is best known for handling cases in the realms of shipping, commodities, insurance, shareholder disputes, and cross-border fraud. Name partner Bazul Ashhab is of note, as are Chenthil Kumarasingam and Kelly Yap for white-collar criminal and international trade disputes, respectively. Since publication, the team bolstered its white-collar and investigations offering with the hire of Benedict Eoon who joined from Covenant Chambers, and strengthened its international arbitration and commercial litigation practice with the addition of Priscilla Luo and Jerald Foo, both joined from Clifford Chance.
‘Oon & Bazul are a small but very focused firm. They are able to get into the detail of the case and at the same time provide a strategic perspective. They are also very pragmatic about resolving the disputes and actively encourage alternative means of dispute resolution.’
‘Chenthil Kumarasingam is a seasoned litigator and can bring an important business perspective to a complex case. He is very calm, logical, and punctual in his approach to case management .’
- Acting for the National Bank of Oman (NBO), one of the forefront Middle Eastern banks to prosecute a bank fraud claim in excess of US$14 million.
- Acting for Shree Ramkrishna Exports, the manufacturers and suppliers of diamonds and diamond jewelry in relation to a claim for unpaid invoices over such goods, of over USD23 million. This claim is part of a broader dispute which involves multiple suits in several jurisdictions, including New York.
Pinsent Masons MPillay
Best known for its visibility in construction and infrastructure-focused litigation and arbitral disputes, Pinsent Masons MPillay is also able to handle disputes arising out of joint venture and consortium arrangements, many of which are referred to the disputes team from its well regarded international projects practice. Mohan Pillay is the key partner.
‘PMMP is simply our go-to legal services provider for our business needs in Singapore. They balance a deep commercial awareness with vast technical knowledge of the applicable laws. Diligently seeking agile solutions to a range of complex issues arising.’
Providence Law Asia LLC
Boutique disputes firm Providence Law Asia LLC is 'approachable, available at short notice and willing to assist' predominantly private clients on corporate, commercial and financial disputes, insolvency proceedings, trusts and estates litigation, and white-collar crime cases, often with a cross-border angle. Abraham Vergis leads counsel for some of the firm's most standout litigation and arbitration cases. Nawaz Kamil focuses on claims relating to restructuring and insolvency.
‘Approachable, available at short notice and willing to assist.’
‘Abraham Vergis and Nawaz Kamil – both apply their legal knowledge in a commercially practicable manner. Clients need and appreciate this approach.’
Li Shengwu (Nephew of the Prime Minister of Singapore)
Angela Ee & Aaron Loh (Ernst & Young Solutions LLP)
Lee Suet Fern (Sister-in-law of the Prime Minister of Singapore)
Dr. Wong Yew Choy (Chairman of SBOBET, the world renown online bookmaker)
Wilson Cuaca (founder of East Ventures VC fund)
Kyen Resources Pte Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of China listed company)
Triumphant Gold Limited
- Defending Li Shengwu, the nephew of the Prime Minister of Singapore, in contempt proceedings commenced against him by the Attorney-General of Singapore. The matter concerns comments which the Respondent had made in a private Facebook post regarding Singapore’s court system.
- Successfully defended the private client respondent, China Country Head of Macquarie Bank Limited, in a suit against a Chinese State-Owned Enterprise in the nascent Singapore International Commercial Court.
RHTLaw Asia LLP
RHTLaw Asia LLP represents public listed companies, private limited companies, and individuals in a range of commercial litigation, international arbitration, and criminal investigations in all levels of court. The Roderick Martin SC led practice has strengthened its civil litigation and white-collar crime offering with the addition of Leslie Chew and in contentious restructuring and insolvency with partner Nigel Pereira, from Withers KhattarWong LLP and Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, respectively. Nandakumar Renganathan is the key partner for shareholder disputes, sale of goods, defamation, property disputes, medical negligence, and IP-related claims.
CSDS Aircraft Sales & Leasing Inc
D&R Asset Management Group Co Ltd
Zion Capital Limited
Dyna-Mac Engineering Services Pte Ltd
Chan Brothers Travel
- Successfully represented the defendants, CSDS Aircraft Sales & Leasing Inc, in setting aside a default judgment in relation to an alleged breach of contract for the sale and purchase of a Boeing-777.
Sarbjit Singh Chopra at Selvam LLC has more than three decades worth of experience representing a wide range of clients in litigation, with a strong focus on disputes in the construction sector, but also an active caseload of finance, fraud, and IP disputes. Sean La’Brooy regularly acts for individuals and corporate entities in commercial litigation and arbitral proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
3 Corporate Services
A Selvadurai Hallman
Lotte Global Logistics
Apex Energy International Pte Ltd
- Acte for a client, an established Korean logistics and shipping company, commenced legal action against 2 former employees as well as a nominee director of a third party, alleging embezzlement of various sums of money.
- Acted as defendant counsel in connection with an acrimonious family dispute over the maintenance of the mother and the return of her shares in a family company which are worth a substantial amount.
Simmons & Simmons
Mohammed Reza is the lead partner for Simmons & Simmons for complex commercial and banking disputes, with extensive background experience in trial, appellate work, and arbitrations in the technical fields of banking and investment, energy, insurance, sport, and in a range of corporate disputes. As head of employment, he also advises on contentious issues relating to reorganisation, restructuring, and employee relations challenges.
Qatar National Bank, Singapore Branch
Seabury Trade Capital SPC
RCMA Asia Pte Ltd
- Acting for Qatar National Bank, Singapore Branch, one of the creditors in the widely publicised, restructuring of oil trading giant Hin Leong Trading (Pte) Ltd.
- Acting for Seabury Trade Capital SPC in relation to the high profile restructuring of collapsed commodity firm Agritrade International (Pte) Ltd, with debts reportedly in excess of US$1.55 billion.
- Acting for RCMA Asia Pte Ltd in a High Court dispute relating to market making obligations in the Singapore electricity futures market.
The disputes group at Tan Kok Quan Partnership combines 'excellent knowledge of the law, combined with an astute strategic, tactical, and commercial sense'. Marina Chin, Eddee Ng, and Paul Seah are the main figures and represent public bodies, corporates, and individuals in disputes involving administrative law, corporate claims, IP/telecoms disputes, and banking and securities disputes.
‘Very good lawyers indeed. Always well-prepared, and an excellent knowledge of the law, combined with an astute strategic, tactical, and commercial sense.’
United Overseas Bank Limited
Malayan Banking Berhad
Jones Lang LaSalle Property Consultants Pte Ltd
- Acting for an international group of manufacturing companies against a former director and CEO over issues of bribery and corruption, conspiracy, diversion of a multi-million business and serious breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Acting in a widely publicised dispute involving claims brought by an information technology company against the Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers and other leading property consultancy firms.
- Acting for UOB in its claims for fraud and conspiracy against, amongst others, Lippo Marina Collection Pte Ltd, a property development company within the well-known Lippo Group, relating to UOB’s grant of mortgage loans amounting to an aggregate sum of S$181 million for the purchase of luxury condominium units at The Marina Collection at Sentosa Cove developed by Lippo Marina.
Virtus Law LLP - Stephenson Harwood (Singapore) Alliance group is praised for its 'stellar combination of knowledge about the law, tactical advice, and an appreciation of the clients' desires'. The team is particularly active in maritime disputes, restructuring and insolvency, and commercial litigation, often with a cross-border element and enhanced global expertise as part of the Stephenson Harwood alliance. Daryll Ng is recommended alongside Terence Seah, who is particularly active on criminal trials, corporate investigations and regulatory breaches, and commercial litigator, Lauren Tang.
‘They offer a stellar combination of knowledge about the law, tactical advice, and an appreciation of the clients’ desires.’
‘Terence Seah and Denise Chong were consummate professionals. Their knowledge of the law was top-notch, and their advice on tactical considerations was always sound and respectful of my objectives. They were always ready to answer my questions, and able to explain complex legal matters. I had complete trust and confidence that they were always looking out for my best interests.’
Jaguar Energy Guatemala / AEI Guatemala Jaguar
Estate of Tommy Chia Kim Hung
Bestjet Travel Pty Ltd
Fok Hei Yu and John Howard Batchelor
Volatility Token Master Fund
Standard Chartered Bank
Various clients in the cryptocurrency sector
- Advising and acting for a major secured lender on the collapse of Hin Leong Trading, a well known Singapore oil trader, and Ocean Tankers. This matter has been in the news recently for alleged fraudulent conduct.
- Acted for a major insurance company in a nationwide investigation of insurance fraud involving physiotherapy clinics and medical concierge companies.
- Successfully acted for the client to obtain judgment against SealBlock Foundation Ltd in the Singapore High Court in a fintech dispute arising in connection to a Simple Agreement for Future Tokens.
Withers KhattarWong LLP multi-disciplinary sizeable team is comprised of highly experienced litigators in managing partner Deborah Barker, SC and Amarjeet Singh, SC; criminal litigator Shashi Nathan; and Sharon Lin in the insurance sector, specialising in professional indemnity. The firm is known for its strong private client representation, and also frequently acts for top management executives in their commercial and personal claims. The team recently welcomed the arrival of divorce lawyer Ivan Cheong and senior associate Shaun Ho, both joined from Harry Elias Partnership.
AREF Holdings Limited, Adalene Limited, Bellaven Limited, Baguera Limited
Innovative Corporation Pte Ltd
Abdul Rashid Mohamed Ali @ Abdul Rashid s/o Mohd Ali and Goh Kok Guan
United Overseas Bank Limited
Lian Kok Hong (Executor of the Estate of Lian Seng Peng, deceased)
Tan Ho Sung @ Taufiq Tan
Anil Singh Gurm
Joo Toon LLC
William KW Leung & Co.
Benzline Auto Pte. Ltd.
Eng Soon Auto Pte. Ltd.
Best Demo Deal Trading Limited
Morelastic Green Resources Pte. Ltd.
Arki-Tech International Pte Ltd
Pan-United Concrete Pte Ltd
- Successfully defended 4 Cypriot companies against a claim of more than $220 million based on fraudulent conspiracy.
- We are acting for the Plaintiff in a claim for damages exceeding SG$5 million based on professional negligence against an established law firm and its former solicitor. The claim is based on the failure to advise adequately or at all that a transaction pursuant to which the Plaintiff, a Singaporean, agreed to purchase and hold a landed property in Singapore on behalf of his cousin, an Australian, was unlawful and exposed the Plaintiff to imprisonment, a fine and a confiscation order for an amount equivalent to the whole sale proceeds.
- Successfully acted for Innovative Corporation in the Court of Appeal in a multimillion dollar matter involving breach of fiduciary duties and dishonest assistance relating to the development of 82 units of semi-detached houses in Holland Link, which is a prime area for properties in Singapore. The Court of Appeal fully upheld the decision of the High Court and dismissed the appeal with costs awarded in our client’s favour.