Dispute resolution: local firms in Singapore
Allen & Gledhill LLP may be light at Senior Counsel level with intellectual property specialist Stanley Lai SC its sole practising SC. Despite this, the firm maintains a sizeable market share of major disputes, including Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC) and Singapore Court of Appeal cases. Other key partners include William Ong, Vincent Leow, white-collar crime and investigations specialist Jason Chan, employment disputes expert Tay Yong Seng and Peh Aik Hin. Tan Kai Liang is also rated.
‘The team is exceptional. It has a depth of knowledge of relevant subject matters and is also strategic in approaching issues. There is a certain business savvyness about them that makes them unique and not just lawyers.’
‘The team I have worked with is tough, thorough and hard-hitting. They are excellent tacticians in court. They know the broad legal arguments that win the case, while maintaining keen attention to every detail that matters. They have a drive and commitment that I have rarely seen in local firms.’
‘Peh Aik Hin provides fast response times, has an ability to give succinct advice and is strategic in his thinking. He is very client-centric and possesses a great legal mind and depth of knowledge in the dispute resolution arena. He is one of the best litigation lawyers in the field.’
‘Stanley Lai QC has a depth of knowledge in dispute resolution, particularly in IP and IT type disputes. He is also business savvy and strategic in advice.’
‘Vincent Leow is very practical and very professional people. He is very experienced in dispute resolution in the financial sector. Even when faced with a novel dispute situation, he and the team is quick to learn and is able to understand the business intricacies of the matter.’
‘Tay Yong Seng is a real joy to work with, is really smart and fights your corner. He is a rising star and punches well above his weight.’
‘Tan Kai Liang is extremely bright and practical in his case management. He is one of the best young superb litigation lawyers I have worked with. He is the reason why I continue to give repeat work to the firm.‘
- Continuing to act for Credit Suisse Trust in a dispute concerning a trust set up by Bidzina Ivanishvili, the Georgian billionaire and former Prime Minister of Georgia.
- Successfully represented Kiri Industries before the Singapore Court of Appeal in the headline minority oppression case concerning Kiri’s investment in Dystar Global Holdings (Singapore).
- Acted for Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation in a successful claim against Mdm Yeo Hui Keng.
Drew & Napier LLC remains a dispute resolution powerhouse, despite the headline departure of the iconic Davinder Singh SC, Jaikanth Shankar and Pardeep Khosa to launch Davinder Singh Chambers. The remaining team continues to be highly rated thanks to the presence of big names such as chief executive Cavinder Bull SC, Jimmy Yim SC and the recently appointed senior counsel Siraj Omar SC who joined from RPC Premier Law with a team of eight in July 2019; he provides additional firepower in banking and insolvency disputes. Moreover, the firm bolstered its standing in tax disputes with the hire of Ong Sim Ho from his own eponymous firm. The team is routinely engaged in big-ticket and bet-the-company type disputes and has a tremendous record in arbitration-related court proceedings. Mahesh Rai is highly regarded for construction and engineering disputes, while Wendell Wong, Randolph Khoo, Gary Low, Benedict Teo and Blossom Hing are also important names. Adam Maniam is an emerging talent and Bryan Wong is an outstanding senior associate.
Cavinder Bull SC; Jimmy Yim SC; Randolph Khoo
‘The firm has been the gold standard for litigation for a long time and remains at the forefront.’
‘The firm is honest, astute and organised. It is clinical in its efficiency and runs rings around the opposition.’
‘It invests resources into best-of-class, decent and efficient lawyers able to support clients to the absolute best of their abilities.’
‘Cavinder Bull SC’s advocacy is outstanding and he is quite simply in a league of his own.’
‘Jimmy Yim SC has shown excellent advocacy in the court room. He is very cordial, but strong and very persuasive.’
‘Wendell Wong is a natural leader, meticulous listener, excellent negotiator, with top-notch client centric work ethics and excellent business sense.’
‘Benedict Teo is smart, fast, practical, energetic and simply outstanding.’
‘Adam Maniam is exceptional. His comprehensive knowledge of the case, understanding of legal nuances and timely advice has been invaluable.’
‘Bryan Wong is amazing, energetic, efficient, knowledgeable and available when needed.’
American International Assurance Company
Changi Airports International
Hyundai Engineering & Steel Industries
Monetary Authority of Singapore
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation
- Acted for James Copinger-Symes, Christina De La Sala and Edward De La Sala in connection with the headline dispute over the De La Sala family fortune, one of the largest ever trusts disputes in Singapore history.
- Acted for Carlo Giuseppe Civelli in a S$37m claim against the defendant for theft of shares among other things.
- Representing Creative Technology in in an appeal Huawei over the Chinese telecoms giant’s alleged failure to build a nationwide WiMAX Network for Creative in Singapore.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP continues to impress in banking, insolvency and restucturing and shipping cases, shareholder disputes, white-collar crime and arbitration-related court proceedings. It has appeared as counsel in an unrivalled number of SICC cases, consistently appearing in more Singapore Supreme Court hearings than any other firm, and is also at the forefront of en bloc sale disputes. Lee Eng Beng SC remains a leader in banking and insolvency disputes, Francis Xavier SC is a leader in cross-border litigation and arbitration-related court proceedings, Andre Yeap SC is a top litigator and arbitration counsel, and Chuan Thye Tan SC is also noted for insolvency litigation. Adrian Wong and Danny Ong are also highly rated.
Francis Xavier SC; Leong Kah Wah; Adrian Wong; Chandra Mohan
‘Rajah & Tann is widely viewed as one of the top Singapore firms and arguably the top firm for dispute resolution. It has the strength in depth both for domestic litigation and for international arbitration.’
‘The team has demonstrated dedication and integrity over an extended period of engagement. It has been prepared to take on a difficult assignment, and to give candid and frank advice.’
‘Lee Eng Beng SC has been responsive, and accessible despite having many other projects, and administrative duties.’
‘Adrian Wong never fails to impress us on his views from a pro-business and legal stand-point. He is extremely pro-business in his approach without losing the legality element.’
‘Danny Ong is very impressive on all fronts. He’s on top of the documents and the detail but he’s also a highly effective advocate. He changes gears smoothly, engaging amicably, but can carry out a stinging cross-examination of a difficult witness.’
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation
United Overseas Bank
New World TMT
Telemedia Pacific Group
- Acted for the Keppel Group in a $422m foreign bribery settlement which involved elements of Brazil, US and Singapore law; the matter is connected to the Lava Jato anti-corruption and anti-competition investigations in Brazil.
- Acted for Deloitte, as liquidators of Poh Lian Construction, in a suit before the High Court of Singapore against the former chief operating officer and the senior projects manager of the company in liquidation; this is one of the first third party funded proceedings in Singapore to go to trial.
- Acted for five minors in the setting aside of an arbitral award on the ground of public policy.
WongPartnership LLP has impressive dispute resolution credentials with three very active Senior Counsels amongst the ranks. The firm has a tremendous record in regulatory disputes, white-collar crime and investigations, and is highly rated for court applications linked to arbitration proceedings. It has also set the benchmark in minority oppression cases. Alvin Yeo SC is at the pinnacle of the dispute resolution profession, Andre Maniam SC impresses in financial crime cases, Chou Sean Yu in banking disputes and Koh Swee Yen in commercial cases. Construction specialist Tan Chee Meng SC, Hock Keng Chan and Wendy Lin are also highly rated.
Alvin Yeo SC
‘It is the premier dispute resolution team in Singapore. It has unrivalled strength in numbers, depth of experience and sheer talent, including four Senior Counsel. I do not know of any other firm in Singapore/the region which is comparable. The team in in a class of its own when it comes to dispute resolution matters, particularly of an international nature.’
‘It is a highly skilled firm, which is not afraid to look to creative legal strategies to resolve complex commercial issues. The firm also does an excellent job of communicating relevant updates with clients to ensure timely resolution including presenting various options for resolution.’
‘Alvin Yeo SC and Joy Tan are highly sophisticated and excellent counsel to have on your side in a tough fight.’
‘Koh Swee Yen is a highly talented partner with the firm who has been instrumental in court actions in Singapore regarding commercial theft and fraud matters. Her legal guidance has always been prudent and timely.’
‘Wendy Lin is highly impressive, tough, tenacious and rigorous. She leaves no stone unturned to fight for her clients. At the same time, she is charming and easy to work with. I could not recommend her more highly.’
L Capital Asia Advisors
Singapore River Explorer
Swissbourgh Diamond Mines
Shareholders of Malaysia Dairy Industries
- Acting for Mohamed Mustafa & Samsuddin Co, the founder of Mustafa Centre, in multiple minority oppression suits brought against him and his immediate family members by extended family members connected to the management of Mohamed Mustafa & Samsuddin Co.
- Acting for the minority shareholders of Malaysia Dairy Industry in a minority oppression suit.
- Acting for the Management Corporation of Grange Heights Strata Title Plan No. 301 in defending a S$63m claim by Lee Tat Development for malicious prosecution, abuse of process, malicious falsehood and trespass. It was one of the longest-running lawsuits in Singapore’s legal history.
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP lawyers have appeared in a series of major cases before the Court of Appeal, including challenges or defences to an arbitration award, a particular forte of Philip Jeyaretnam SC. The firm is also a market leader in medical malpractice and negligence thanks to the presence of Siang Pheng Lek and his team. The firm is also making an impression in construction and engineering litigation, cyber breaches, and real estate disputes. Audrey Chiang, Paul Wong and Edric Pan are also notable names.
Philip Jeyaretnam SC; Siang Pheng Lek
‘The disputes practice has great strength in depth. The team includes very talented young lawyers. Probably its key characteristic is an understanding of how business works, so the team’s legal scholarship is grounded in commercial reality. This makes for persuasive advocacy in court and arbitration.’
‘I know that the firm’s medical defence practice is highly regarded as the leading team in town.’
‘Philip Jeyaretnam SC is head and shoulders above the rest. None have Philip’s energy or ability.’
‘Philip Jeyaretnam SC is at the top of the field and at the top of his game. His practical approach, deep knowledge of the law and mastery of procedure combined in strategy and tactics gets great results.’
PNG Sustainable Development Program
- Successfully defended PNG Sustainability Development Program in the Singapore High Court against the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
- Successfully defended two subsidiaries of Meinhardt in a Singapore High Court suit against claims by the owner of Centennial Tower.
- Successfully represented Russia’s VTB Bank in winding up the debtor company in relation to a disputed debt of $250m.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow remains active in domestic and international disputes, along with a flourishing cross-border investigations practice. It lost Chan Leng Sun SC to Essex Court Chambers, though retains a seasoned team in department head Nandakumar Ponniya, intellectual property litigator Andy Leck and Celeste Ang, who is recommended for cross-border investigations. It continues to be prominent in energy disputes, product liability, intellectual property cases and arbitration-related litigation.
‘The firm offers a powerful blend of broad international expertise, specialist industry experience and deep local knowledge that places it well above any of the local firms. The team has handled almost every imaginable dispute across various industry sectors, of old and new. Their service and attention to clients’ needs is best in class. The team is repeatedly in the courts litigating high value and sensitive matters for top corporates and their experience and reputation grows year on year deservedly.’
‘Nandakumar Ponniya is one of a handful of go to litigators in Singapore. He is very much counsel of choice for local and foreign corporates. He is an eloquent advocate who takes a strategic and innovative approach to managing disputes. Coupled with his keen eye for detail and relentless quest for excellence, he turns every cause into a winning one.’
Motion Picture Association of America
The Premier League
Fox Networks Group Asia
- Acted for a number of major film studios in a site-blocking application under Section 193DDA of the Singapore Copyright Act.
- Acted for Fox Networks Group Asia in private criminal copyright proceedings before the State Courts of Singapore, against two retailers of illicit streaming devices.
- Represented Hadiran Sridjaja, one of the co-founders of Jurong Aromatics, in a suit brought against him by the other co-founder Vijay Goradia and his affiliated company Arovin.
Cavenagh Law LLP
Cavenagh Law LLP, Clifford Chance's formal law alliance (FLA) partner in Singapore, lost Harpreet Singh Nehal SC in 2019, who launched Audent Chambers LLC, leaving Nish Shetty as its principal litigator. The firm has a healthy market share of big-ticket disputes, including arbitration-related court proceedings and applications. It has an especially strong record in the financial services disputes segment. Paul Sandosham is also highly rated, though better known for international arbitration. Joan Lim-Casanova and Jordan Tan are rated at counsel level.
Nish Shetty; Paul Sandosham
- Defended a global financial services and banking company against claims arising out of a merger between certain Australian companies and allegations of misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duties, and breach of trust.
- Acted for Macquarie Bank to recover unpaid monies arising from a swap transaction with a Chinese state-owned entity under an ISDA Master Agreement.
- Successfully acted for Credit Suisse in an action brought by the former Prime Minister of Georgia and billionaire, Bidzina Ivanishvili, concerning alleged fraud causing losses to assets of $1.1bn invested with the bank.
Davinder Singh Chambers was launched in 2019 by premier litigator Davinder Singh SC and a team featuring Jaikanth Shankar and Pardeep Khosa. The new firm is expected to be a major force in the market and to land a high market share of significant dispute engagements.
Davinder Singh SC
‘It is a clear leader in litigation. I would give the firm the edge over competitors.’
‘The team works very well and most importantly has been well managed.’
‘Davinder Singh SC is in a class of his own. He is not only a bona fide star performer, but a star performer with an X factor that is hard to put your finger on. I would attribute it to a sixth sense or an uncanny sense of being able to feel what the opponent is up to, sometimes with unmatched accuracy.’
‘Davinder Singh SC is currently peerless in the litigation bar.’
‘Jaikanth Shankar is an impressive litigator. When pitted against more senior counsel, he stands out in the courtroom with his ability to think on his feet.’
‘Jaikanth Shankar certainly functions and achieves the results of a Senior Counsel.’
‘Pardeep Khosa has an excellent ability to pierce through issues and facts.’
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
- Represented the Singapore Prime Minister in a high profile defamation claim a against blogger.
- Counsel to PT Bayan Resources and Bayan International in an ongoing $800m cross-border dispute arising from a coal mining joint venture; this was the first case to be heard by the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- Acted for the beneficiaries of the estate of Mr Mustafa s/o Majid Khan, including a claim for minority oppression.
K&L Gates Straits Law LLC
K&L Gates Straits Law LLC has a tremendous standing in Singapore dispute resolution, thanks to the presence of Singapore managing partner N Sreenivasan SC, a recognised leader in cross-examination, and his team that joined as part of the merger with Straits Law Practice LLC in January 2019. With an outstanding record in Singapore court proceedings, including banking disputes involving Indian banks, it is also making an impact in investigations. It is also rated for contentious insolvency matters, white-collar crime and financial regulatory disputes. Muralli Rajaram, medical negligence specialist Sundararaj Palaniappan, Valerie Ang and Joseph Liow are also key partners.
N Sreenivasan SC
‘This team is responsive and easy to contact. It is able to understand our concerns well.’
‘N Sreenivasan is a tough litigator who is probably the best cross examiner in Singapore. He is excellent for cases which turn on the facts and cross examination.’
‘Valerie Ang is commercially minded and gives sensible advice.’
State Bank of India
Bank of India
Indian Overseas Bank
Union Bank of India
Punjab National Bank
Asia Aviation Holding
Thomson Medical Group
Aesthetic Medical Partners
- Acted for several Indian banks in insolvency and judicial management process relating to Farlin Timbers.
- Acted for Payyappilly Victor Cherian in the High Court commenced by the collective sale committee of the development for orders relating to the approval of the collective sale of a condominium development in the Eastern region of Singapore.
- Acted for several Indian banks in respect of the insolvency and judicial management process for Sembawang Engineers & Constructors, an engineering and construction services provider involved in large scale constructions contracts in Singapore.
Shook Lin & Bok LLP has tremendous big-case experience, coupled with the resources to handle higher-volume disputes. It continues to impress in banking disputes, along with insolvency and restructuring cases, including acting for banks in opposing Chapter 11-style arrangements. It remains a regular counsel to Indian clients and has a growing cohort of Chinese clients. Department head David Chan is noted for banking, insolvency, fraud and shareholder disputes, while Sarjit Singh Gill SC is a leader in banking and insolvency cases and disputes involving Indian parties. Probin Dass is rated for shipping, trade and insolvency cases. Debby Lim and Yeow Khoon Ng are also recommended.
‘Excellent legal knowledge and experience, with very hands on service. Better service than many larger Singapore firms.’
‘Sarjit Singh Gill SC is a highly experienced and aggressive advocate, very hands on and a street fighter.’
- Representing the Independent Panel of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council in Aljunied-Hougang Town Counciil v Sylvia Lim Swee Lian & Ors, concerning the management and use of town council funds by elected and appointed town council members.
- Acted for Advantage Overseas Private Limited and Shrikant Bhasi as defendants in a case relating to merchanting trade transactions in India.
- Represented Nippon Catalyst in tort claims on the unauthorised use of its chemical catalysts for refinery processes.
TSMP Law Corporation has extensive dispute resolution pedigree. It has an outstanding record in boardroom, investment and shareholder disputes, and is at the forefront of trusts litigation. Shen Yi Thio, SC has plenty of big-ticket case experience; he is noted for commercial and trusts litigation, along with contentious insolvency and restructuring matters. Adrian Tan has an impressive record in TMT, IP, data and collective sales disputes. Melvin Chan is recommended for construction cases, acting primarily for contractors. Ian Lim leads on employment and data protection disputes.
Thio Shen Yi, SC ; Melvin Chan
‘Extreme responsiveness and availability at all hours to service clients’ needs, big or small.’
‘The firm runs lean teams and is cost effective.’
‘Thio Shen Yi SC is an experienced advocate with a good sense for how the Singapore courts will deal with arbitration-related matters.’
‘Ian Lim is an impressive operator, always available, always willing to take a view, always good fun to work with.’
Straits Marine Company
GS Engineering & Construction
Hyundai Engineering & Construction
- Acted for the six plaintiffs in a $600m trust dispute involving a 49-day trial, one of the largest ever in Singapore.
- Acted for Peter Tan Shou Yi, the defendant, in a S$2bn claim by Prudential over alleged mass poaching of agents.
- Represented Yeo Boong Hua, Lim Ah Poh and Teo Tian Seng in a shareholder dispute that spanned 17 years, in relation to the development of Turf City.
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP has looked to cement its standing in compliance, investigations and regulatory enforcement. The firm remains a strong player in technology, aviation and shareholder disputes. Clients centre on the technology and communications, retail and consumer, aviation and public sector organisations. Boey Swee Siang heads the Singapore disputes practice and is noted for shareholder disputes, Navin Joseph Lobo for compliance and investigations, and Jonathan Choo for aviation cases.
Boey Swee Siang
‘They are skilled in what they do. They know their stuff, provide practical advice and solutions, and are always contactable for advice and discussion regardless of day and time.’
‘The team has been very accommodating and proactive in working with me and my senior management in devising strategy for our litigation suits that puts us in a position of strength and puts continuous pressure on the various counterparty defendants.’
‘Navin Joseph Lobo is a skilled and experienced lawyer who is able to give sound practical advice. He is very capable and knowledgeable. He has always been able to deliver and I am very happy with his service.’
Suying Metropolitan Studio
Jones Lang LaSalle Property Consultants
Fullerton Healthcare Group
Building Construction Authority of Singapore
Phar Partnerships (Malaysia)
BMC Software Asia Pacific
- Acted for Urbanrehab, the associated entity of the Fullerton Healthcare Group, in proceedings commenced against four defendants, including a claim against a former director alleging that he had breached his directors’ duties by setting up a business which is a direct competitor of Urbanrehab.
- Successfully represented Jones Lang LaSalle in its defence against High Court proceedings commenced by an ex-employee claiming alleged unlawful termination of her employment.
- Acted for Cathay Overseas International in Singapore court proceedings in aid of a Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre arbitration.
Braddell Brothers LLP has a fine dispute resolution heritage with increasing prominence in court applications and proceedings linked to arbitrations, including challenging and defending arbitral awards. It has a fine reputation for injunctions and disputes involving private clients and high net-worth individuals. Moreover, the firm has an established record in medical negligence and misconduct cases, along with employment, media and fraud disputes. Edmund Kronenburg has an outstanding reputation.
‘Edmund Kronenburg deserves huge kudos in building a team in a smaller firm and is well-regarded amongst his peers.’
RSM Corporate Advisory
- Acted for a Singaporean Chinese millionaire in his long-running matrimonial and custody battle with his estranged American wife; this is the first known case of a pre‐nuptial agreement governed by New York law to be effectively enforced in Singapore matrimonial proceedings.
- Acted for the wife of the deceased in an estate and dependency claim against Quest and Dr Tan who mis-diagnosed the deceased’s skin lesion as being non-cancerous.
- Successfully defended four former employees of Anika Insurance Brokers & Consultants, which claimed that the clients had breached their fiduciary duties and duties of good faith and fidelity arising from their previous roles in the business.
CNPLaw LLP has a wide-ranging practice and remains noted for shareholder, construction and insolvency disputes, along with cases involving Chinese parties. The practice represented a Hong Kong company in a High Court case against two wholly-owned subsidiaries of Singapore-listed Keppel Corporation. Subramanian Pillai is an experienced hand in commercial disputes and construction cases. See Tow Soo Ling is noted for commercial, matrimonial and estate-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Paramount Media Services
Gao Wenxi and Aussino International
Duncan Malcom Anderson
- Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of Paramount Media Services without going to trial for a claim based on total failure of consideration.
- Acted for the plaintiff in a claim under a deed of undertaking given by the defendant in respect of transactions carried out across various jurisdictions.
- Acted for the plaintiffs, an investment company and its sole shareholder and director, in a claim for monies where monies transferred to the defendant for onward transmission to third parties were not effected.
Eversheds Harry Elias
Eversheds Harry Elias has a strong leaning towards dispute resolution as a firm. It continues to make a mark in financial scandals, market manipulation and money laundering cases. Intellectual property, professional disciplinary cases and property collective sale disputes are also key drivers of the practice. Philip Fong is Singapore managing partner, head of the litigation practice and a leading figure in business crime and financial scandals. S Suresh is similarly highly reputed. Justin Chia is also noted for restructuring and insolvency cases, along with construction disputes.
Uni-werks Marine and Engineering
Ascendas Real Estate Investment Trust
- Acted for HSBC Institutional Trust Services (Singapore) in its claims for over S$120m against the Hyflux Group, for its premature termination of long-term leases over two buildings, Hyflux Building and Hyflux Innovation Centre.
- Acted for the former director of a general builder’s company to appeal against a winding up order.
- Represented CKR Contract Services in a case concerning alleged non-performance and various breaches of contract.
LVM Chambers has gained further prominence and market recognition since its launch in January 2017 by the highly reputed Lok Vi Ming SC. The firm has gained considerable market share in insurance cases, including defending insureds in property damage and D&O claims. It is further developing its standing in construction disputes thanks to the presence of Joseph Lee.
Lok Vi Ming SC; Joseph Lee
‘It is one of the best independent firms in the market.’
‘The team is friendly and approachable and always reverts in a timely manner. They’re eager to listen and share thoughts.’
‘The whole team takes a pragmatic yet in depth view of the full picture, and is willing to temper their advice, and find novel, interesting and strong alternative positions based on client requirements.’
‘Lok Vi Ming SC is very experienced and I like that he is very hands on, notwithstanding that he has a team to support him. He is easily accessible and responds very quickly, providing very practical and sound advice.’
Ding Zhou Investment
MS First Capital Insurance
QBE Insurance (Singapore)
Viking Offshore & Marine
- Acted for Sandy Island, a subsidiary of the YTL Group and the developer of the Sandy Island luxury housing project at Sentosa Cove, in a lawsuit brought against it by Thio Keng Thay, who alleged multiple defects in a $14m property at the development.
- Represented Geetex Enterprises in defending against a case to set aside an arbitration award for over S$22m made in the client’s favour.
- Acted for a client in high value matrimonial proceedings, one of the first cases of its kind concerning the ambit of the Family Court’s power to grant relief in cases where matrimonial assets are alleged to belong to third parties.
Morgan Lewis Stamford LLC has a high-level mix of contentious work ranging from fraud, white-collar crime, investigations and asset tracing to joint venture and shareholder disputes. The team is a growing force in cases involving PRC entities and Hong Kong corporates, and is noted for its record in energy, trade and commodities, insurance and maritime. Wendy Tan and Daniel Chia are the key partners.
‘Daniel Chia is the standout lawyer in Singapore for white-collar matters. His strategic vision and on-the-ground advocacy are equally strong, and he is responsive and a delight to work with.’
‘The commercial litigation team headed by Daniel Chia is commercially-orientated and effective.’
‘Daniel Chia is a shrewd litigator. He is a nimble cross-examiner and a quick-thinker. My experience is that many Singapore litigators can go through the motions but Daniel goes the extra mile. He fights hard for clients.’
Goldilocks Investment Company
Oil Brokerage International
Sinfeng Marine Services
Chimbusco International Petroleum (Singapore)
- Represented Goldilocks Investment Company in a High Court case against the directors and senior management of Noble Group.
- Successfully defended ex-board directors of Poh Lian Construction (in liquidation) a claim arising out of alleged breaches of directors’ duties in the management of the company with focus on three high-end residential projects in Singapore.
- Acted for Sinfeng Marine Services in issues arising out of the liquidation of Coastal Oil Singapore.
Oon & Bazul LLP
Oon & Bazul LLP has a broad dispute resolution background, built on a solid shipping law platform. The practice now ranges from trade and commodities disputes to banking, insolvency and white-collar crime cases. Sean La’Brooy has joined from CNPLaw LLP and Korea disputes specialist Julia Yu arrived in December 2018 from Bae, Kim & Lee LLC. Managing partner Bazul Ashhab heads the dispute resolution practice, which includes international trade expert Kelly Yap and white-collar crime specialist Chenthil Kumarasingam.
‘Commitment to the task at hand and delivery of services at a reasonable fee.’
‘Bazul Ashab and Kelly Yap are always quick to grasp the issues and always capable of of excellent delivery.’
National Bank of Oman
Simpson Marine (SEA)
- Acted for National Bank of Oman in prosecuting a fraud claim in excess of $14m.
- Acted for Bihar International (Bakri Navigation) and Red Sea Marine Services in defending claims brought by Maybank in excess of $12m.
- Defended Simpson Marine (SEA) in a suit instituted by its ex-customer claiming the refund of a deposit and damages for alleged non-delivery of a €1.9m 64-feet yacht.
Pinsent Masons MPillay
Pinsent Masons MPillay has a strong emphasis on construction disputes and arbitration-related court applications and proceedings. The team is especially active in the infrastructure, power and energy sectors. Mohan Pillay has an excellent record in litigation and arbitration, particularly in the construction and engineering arena. Toh Chen Han is also rated for construction disputes.
Mohan Pillay; Jon Howes
‘Long-standing, local presence, a great mix of international and local lawyers, and strength in depth.’
‘Extremely good at case management and appropriate use of QCs for strategy.
‘Mohan Pillay is exceptional at understanding the pulse of the tribunal and fine-tuning the strategy accordingly.’
‘Toh Chen Han is very talented and fearless, and his calm demeanour during cross-examination lures difficult witnesses into submission.’
Leighton John Holland JV
- Acted for Leighton John Holland JV, the main contractor, on disputes arising from its supply contract with a tunnel boring specialist connected to the construction of the MRT’s Thomson Line in Singapore; this involved a successful High Court injunction proceedings relating to a call on performance bonds.
Providence Law Asia LLC has an outstanding reputation in Singapore court proceedings and cross-border disputes. The broad-based practice is engaged in a variety of big-ticket cases, including financial institutions, insolvency and construction disputes. It is also favoured by larger firms for conflict work and referalls. Abraham Vergis is a genuine market leader.
- Defending Stephen Wolfe, China country head of Macquarie Bank in a suit against a Chinese State-Owned Enterprise in the SICC.
- Acting for the liquidators from Ernst & Young Solutions as joint liquidators of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings, the matter involving the rarely invoked step of appointing a receiver as a form of equitable execution to enforce a third-party indemnity for the judgment debt.
- Defending Li Shengwu, the nephew of the Prime Minister of Singapore, in contempt proceedings commenced against him by the Attorney-General of Singapore, concerning comments made in a private Facebook post regarding Singapore’s court system.
RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP
RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP has a substantial team with individual members achieving increasing levels of sector specialisation. Financial sector claims, fraud and investigations, construction, aviation and education are growth areas. The team represents a number of Singapore listed companies and foreign funds. Roderick Martin SC has plenty of big case experience, including Court of Appeal proceedings. Rajaram Ramiah is building the firm's standing in aviation disputes and Nandakumar Renganathan impresses in defamation cases. Construction specialist Conrad Campos is recommended along with financial services disputes expert Ling Ling Luo.
Roderick Martin SC
Global Indian International School
Qilin World Capital
- Acted for Qilin World Capital in its dispute with CPIT Investments Limited over a non-recourse loan of shares listed on the Hong Kong Growth Enterprise Market (GEM) Index.
- Represented Global Indian International School in a dispute involving the termination of a high value logistics contract and breaches of the same.
- Acted for Asiatic Group and its directors in issuing cease and desist letters to a shareholder who had made and published a series of defamatory and injurious remarks against the company and its board of directors.
Selvam LLC is the Singapore law entity that is part of the Duane Morris & Selvam LLP joint law venture. The firm has a substantial dispute resolution practice with a healthy flow of construction and commercial disputes, along with a variety of other cases. The team represents a number of Korean construction companies, among a well-developed client base. Sarbjit Singh Chopra heads the team, which includes Subramaniam Valliappan. Samuel Sharpe has left to launch his own firm.
Sarbjit Singh Chopra
Rathasit Boonyakarnkul and Aajpramuk Thongpitakkul
3 Corporate Services
- Defended Shakuntala Devi in an acrimonious family dispute over the maintenance of the mother and the return of her shares in a family company.
- Acted for 3 Corporate Services in a headline domain name and cybersquatting case against Grabtaxi Holdings.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed company in applying for a moratorium for both the client’s parent company and subsidiary under section 211B of the Singapore Companies Act.
Simmons & Simmons JWS
Simmons & Simmons' Joint Law Venture (Simmons & Simmons JWS) has an established name in banking and financial institutions disputes, leading to a number of engagements in big-ticket disputes, including SICC cases. Mohammed Reza is an experienced practitioner in banking and employment disputes.
‘Justin Kwek is a senior lawyer at Simmons. He has all the elements of a good lawyer.’
‘He is very responsive, good analytical skill and detail. He give practical legal advice to clients to achieve their goals rather than just the rigid legal theories. He is also very pleasant to work together.’
Tan Kok Quan Partnership receives frequent accolades for its presence in headline and big-ticket disputes, including commercial, banking and white-collar crime cases. It is further noted for shareholder, estate and joint-venture disputes. Marina Chin and Eddee Ng head the team and Paul Seah is also rated for high-stakes litigation. Keith Tnee is an emerging talent.
Marina Chin; Eddee Ng
‘The team is able to provide thorough analysis, corresponding solutions and work closely with clients on the implementation of the solutions within a short period of time. Such services are only possible when the team is nimble, close knitted and able to work closely together.’
‘Keith Tnee is an outstanding lawyer who is very knowledgeable, analytical and commercial. Most importantly, he has the personal touch.’
Virtus Law LLP - Stephenson Harwood (Singapore) Alliance continues to broaden its practice beyond its ship dispute traditions. White-collar crime and investigations in the insurance sector are key areas, along with restructuring and insolvency cases, arbitration-related court proceedings and shareholder disputes. Daryll Ng, Terence Seah and Lauren Tang are the key partners.
Daryll Ng; Terence Seah; Lauren Tang
‘A responsive team that offers quality advice with good value for money which can be hard to find in Singapore.’
‘The team is very prompt, and they have a good balance of commercial sense and legal concepts.’
‘Terence Seah is very hands on as a partner.’
‘Daryll Ng is astute to the commercial reality of what we are trying to achieve.’
Jaguar Energy Guatemala
Viking Offshore & Marine
The Great Eastern Life Assurance Company
- Acted for Tarek Damerji in Singapore High Court proceedings brought by Leighton Offshore to set aside an SIAC arbitration award made in the client’s favour.
- Defended the client against a claim brought by a former employee concerning termination of his employment and his entitlements under his employment contract.
- Acted for the client in two back-to-back High Court charterparty disputes.
Withers KhattarWong LLP has real dispute resolution pedigree through a number of senior and established practitioners within the team. It has an especially strong record in financial institutions disputes and is a growing presence in the broader commercial litigation sphere and in white-collar crime matters. Deborah Barker SC is hugely experienced, while Ushan Premaratne, Chia Ho Choon and Justin Yip are also key names
Deborah Barker SC
‘The practice takes time to understand and consider the best direction. They are thorough and diligent, whilst meeting deadlines.’
‘Deborah Barker SC has strong logic and cross-examination skills.’
‘Chia Ho Choon Chia is very professional and thorough.’
Dr Ong Han Ling and Mrs Ong Han Ling
- Acted in the Court of Appeal on behalf of the respondent, an executor of a very complex and unique Will, in an appeal filed by a discretionary beneficiary.
- Acted as counsel to a BVI company and an individual in cross appeals from a decision of the Singapore International Commercial Court in a case which involved novel and complex loan agreements and issues connected to the disposal of certain shares and share prices.
- Acted for Tay Kim Hock, the former CEO of Keppel Fels Brasil, in the ongoing criminal investigation in Brazil involving allegations of corruption between a Petrobras and construction firms.