Allen & Gledhill LLP’s reputable dispute resolution team ‘excels in a broad understanding of the commercial realities of litigation’ with a range of highly specialised sub-groups. Co-head William Ong comes ‘highly recommended’ by clients for his work in financial and securities-related disputes where Vincent Leow is also an expert. The group frequently engages in high-stakes cases including disputes pertaining to corporate and shareholders, M&A, and employment. Yong Seng Tay and Stanley Lai are commended for their ‘comprehensive understanding of the nuances in complex commercial disputes‘ whilst Jason Chan’s expertise lies within litigation and white-collar crimes. Tan Kai Liang and Ramesh Kumar focus on matters related to commercial litigation and arbitration whilst Xeauwei Tan covers corporate litigation and arbitration. The team is highly sought after internationally thanks to its extensive network which covers Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Andrew Yeo leads the team alongside Ong.
Dispute resolution: local firms in Singapore
Other key lawyers:
‘The partner of Allen & Gledhill who dealt with my case was Ramesh Kumar. What made him stand out is his ability to make me feel assured that my case was in good and capable hands and his full attention would be given to my case. I found Ramesh to be service-oriented, patient, competent and thorough. Ramesh was very professional in his dealings with me, very sharp and quick on the uptake and showed great effectiveness in demolishing points raised by the Defendants to my case. Ramesh also played a major role at the Mediation session to help to bring my case to Settlement with the Defendants. I am fully satisfied that Ramesh has put the interest of his clients above everything else. It was clear to me that he could have dragged my case longer and earned more legal fees for his firm. Instead, he did all he could to bring my case to an early completion. ’
‘Xeauwei and her team are outstanding. They are super responsive and efficient. The team give attention to detail and prepares meticulously taking the client’s interest into consideration. They are able to suggest strategic and practical solutions to clients even before the clients request it. The stand out quality of this team is their quick response and the ability to reach them whenever and wherever. It’s not just their junior associate but their partner are also around to guide us whenever needed.’
‘Vincent Leow is our go-to dispute lawyer. We appreciate his ability to balance the legal technicalities against the commercial considerations that we face and assist us in strategising how to resolve a conflict. Vincent is intelligent and is technically sound in his area of expertise but what we really appreciate is his ability to break down any difficult legal concepts and convey the implications to us in a manner that are relatable to us. ’
‘The A&G team is highly dependable and our go-to firm when we want advice backed by experience and practicality. They excel in a broad understanding of the commercial realities of litigation, and can offer non-typical solutions which are suited to your specific needs.’
‘I have used Allen & Gledhill extensively for litigation and dispute resolution work. Their service is always technically proficient and I have never had a bad experience or even lost a case which I have instructed them on.’
‘Yong Seng Tay has a very sharp and insightful mind and plans his court strategy like a chess grandmaster. His manner in Court is quiet but highly incisive, instantly challenging hyperbole by thinking very fast on his feet. He is skilled at bringing out the evidence in the case, illustrating it in a very clear manner.
‘William Ong is highly recommended – practical and commercial-minded that is accompanied by strong legal and technical skills. Ability to break down succinctly issues and articulate them in a non-legalistic manner. Always available and very competitive and reasonable rates. ’
‘The A&G team blends strong legal knowledge with a practical mindset, which served our company very well in its dispute resolution process. They listen carefully to input and offer candid views of the matter at hand – they are not looking to simply appease the client but instead give considered advice, even if at odds with that input.’
- Assisted BTHMB with a dispute involving the issuance of cryptocurrency and use of proceeds by one of South Korea’s leading cryptocurrency exchanges, Bithumb Exchange against its former director Dr Kim Byung Gun, one of South Korea’s most prominent plastic surgeons, who operates cosmetic surgery clinics in Singapore and Korea.
- Acted on behalf of Taiwanese insurance company Singfor Insurance Co Ltd in a dispute with the Singapore branch of EFG Bank and a trust company connected to EFG regarding Singfor’s assets.
- Acted for SingNet in a proceedings before the High Court of Singapore following a dispute that arose between Composers & Authors Society of Singapore Ltd and SingNet Pte Ltd on music in SingNet’s Pay TV service .
Boutique dispute resolution and international arbitration firm Davinder Singh Chambers is considered by clients to be a ‘go-to firm for any dispute resolution matter in Singapore’. Practice head Davinder Singh is greatly experienced in both litigation and as chairman of the SIAC, international arbitration. His involvement in a number of high-profile disputes include the widely reported defamation claim against Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. Pardeep Singh Khosa is praised for his ‘dedication, rich experience, logical thinking and sharp negotiation skills’ which benefits clients in a range of complex matters including shareholder disputes, employment, and public and administrative law matters. Jaikanth Shankar has broad-reaching expertise which embraces fraudulent claims, commercial disputes and insolvency; he also has an active investigations practice.
Davinder Singh, SC
Other key lawyers:
Pardeep Singh Khosa; Jaikanth Shankar
‘Davinder Singh S.C. and his team of lawyers have no parallel in terms of dispute resolution practice in Singapore. They are clearly the leaders. What stands out in their approach to dispute resolution work is a very clear roadmap for dealing with the dispute from the inception. This plan is constantly reviewed and tactically and strategically calibrated. There is no one who can stand up to Davinder Singh’s S.C. in-depth and clinical analysis of the facts in any dispute. This matched with very strong research of the law and incisive drafting of pleadings puts every dispute resolution process on the strongest footing from the outset. Therefore, if the matter gets to Trial, the sharp and focused cross-examination is outstanding. It is a pleasure to watch wonderful craftsmen in dispute resolution at work. ’
‘Davinder Singh S.C. and Jaikanth Sankar are clearly outstanding members of the Firm. Their input into the team’s abilities is so strong that every other Director / Associate Director / Senior Associate always perform at the highest standards set by the leaders. Davinder Singh S.C. expects no less from his colleagues. This is clearly seen in all facets of their preparation and delivery for their clients. ’
‘Davinder Singh is the man that makes this practice unique. His ability as a litigator is the stand out for this practice and he is the personality that potential clients want to engage.’
‘The team is led by Davinder Singh, the pre-eminent dispute resolution lawyer in Singapore. This is the go-to firm for any dispute resolution matter in Singapore, and the team possesses deep capabilities in dispute resolution having worked with prominent legal firms across the world on several high profile matters involving very large sums. Among their long-standing clients is the Prime Minister of Singapore.’
‘The best litigation outfit in the country. Davinder Singh SC – He needs no introduction and is arguably the best in Singapore. Jaikanth Shanker is a very strong young talent.’
‘Jaikanth Shankar has been excellent and extremely responsive in the matters I have worked with him on. He possesses a very keen mind that gets to the crux of complex issues instantly while retaining the solid ability to communicate plainly and simply his thoughts and strategy to the non-legally trained. He is an excellent strategist and litigator to engage if you desire to achieve the desired goals and outcomes while having very good client communications and attention – often a rarity in other big law firms in Singapore.’
‘The firm has represented us in a dispute against a significant party. At the beginning, it seemed that we were not in strong position of the dispute, which made several other law firms whom we worked with previously quickly concluded that we would have no chance of winning. Yet, through intensive analysis of every details and comprehensive research of applicable laws and precedent cases, over the time the firm has helped us to build a strong case to bring to negotiate with our counterparty.’
‘Mr. Pardeep Singh Khosa has been advising us on the case. Thanks to his dedication, rich experience, logical thinking and sharp negotiation skills, we successfully made our points with our counterparty which made them seriously perform their contractual obligations afterwards. ’
Attorney-General’s Chambers of Brunei Darussalam
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
Beneficiaries of the estate of Mustafa s/o Majid Khan
PT Bayan Resources Tbk and Bayan International Pte Ltd
Millenia Pte Ltd
Esben Finance Limited, Incredible Power Limited,
Rayley Co Limited and Lismore Trading Company Ltd
Mr Goh Chan Peng and Pacific Globe Enterprises Limited.
Venture Corporation Limited
Mero Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Mr Chan Chew Keak
Mr Lim Oon Kuin
- Acted for the Attorney-General’s Chambers of Brunei Darussalam on criminal appeals involving two former Bruneian judicial officers who were convicted of offences of criminal breach of trust and money-laundering of BND15.75 million.
- Acted for some of the beneficiaries of the late Mr. Mustafa s/o Majid Khan in two highly contentious actions including a claim for minority oppression.
- Acted for Mr Lim Oon Kuin in relation to claims arising from the judicial management and liquidation of Hin Leong Trading Pte Ltd.
Drew & Napier LLC‘s team possesses a ‘depth of expertise in a range of critical areas’ with an impressive bench of highly capable lawyers in both arbitration and litigation, allowing for a seamless client experience. The group, jointly led by Cavinder Bull SC, Jimmy Yim SC and Randolph Khoo, regularly acts on high-profile disputes before Singapore and international courts including the SICC. Meryl Koh is commended for her work ‘covering all bases when going to court to litigate.’ The team’s diverse client base includes government agencies and officials, multinationals, local organisations, and ultra-high net worth individuals. Shu Yan Woo is praised for her ‘attention to detail‘ and has recently worked with associate director Yuan Kheng Tan representing a prominent political client in a cross-border case before the Court of Appeal. Other key individuals include Siraj Omar SC, Blossom Hing, Mahesh Rai and Kevin Lee.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm should be commended for its effective and high quality legal representation, exemplary professional conduct from everyone regardless of rank and most distinctly, its dedication and commitment to pro bono work.’
‘Besides its proven capabilities to solve problems in a quick and efficient manner, they are also open and transparent to go through their billings with you.
‘Randolph Khoo’s warm personality allows you to confide in him with confidence. He shows genuine interest in your thoughts and deliberations, and offers a wide perspective of the available options.’
‘Comprehensive full-service firm with depth of expertise in a range of critical areas that are indispensable for our day-to-day operations, whether during a growth cycle or a downward trend, such as construction, corporate, insolvency & restructuring, security of payment matters and dispute resolution.’
‘Jimmy Yim SC is an outstanding and respected lawyer, at court and outside. He has the knowledge to guide his team to find the right arguments for our company to stand and win our legal disputes. ’
‘Meryl Koh is an excellent strategist and is dedicated in covering all bases when going to court to litigate. She did a detailed analysis of our situation and advised what our options were. Instead of recommending litigation outright, she tried to settle the matter amicably first. When the other party rejected our offer, she then took pains to prepare for hearings by amassing cases to fight our point and showed great stamina when litigating in court.
‘Siraj Omar SC is a leading light and a juggernaut in the industry. ’
‘Each team member adds value. Cavinder Bull SC’s reputation is well deserved. Junior partner Shu Yan Woo is attentive to the detail and readily available and engaged.’
- Acted for HLT’s judicial managers in the largest reported fraudulent trading case in Singapore, seeking recovery of over US$3.5 billion from the directors of the company, namely, the Lim Family; the dispute includes claims of fabrication of gains, forgery of documents and manipulation of accounts to conceal massive losses sustained by the company over many years.
- Successfully represented Bidzina Ivanishvili, former prime minister of Georgia, and his family in the Singapore Court of Appeal in respect of a claim they brought against the Trustee of a US$1.1 billion trust.
- Represented the Lao Government in the first known investor-state arbitration ever commenced against the Lao Government, which is a long-running and high-profile dispute between the Lao Government and two investors in its gaming and casino industry led to at least eight sets of arbitration proceedings and Court actions between the parties. `
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP's ‘approachable and commercial team covers a wide range of disputes with a vast team of specialists in industries such as real estate, energy, finance, military, and shipping. The team is experienced in representing clients before Singapore courts. Lee Eng Beng SC’s recent success before the Court of Appeal concerned the application of the restitutionary rule in a matter where multiple defendants are held jointly at trial; the team also included Jansen Chow. Francis Xavier and Alina Chia are experienced in multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation, including cases before the new SICC. Danny Ong, Tan Chuan Thye, and Murali Pillai are experts advising financial institutions on contentious regulatory matters.
Francis Xavier; Leong Kah Wah; Adrian Wong
Other key lawyers:
Lee Eng Beng SC; Jansen Chow; Alina Chia; Danny Ong; Tan Chuan; Thye; Murali Pillai
‘Rajah & Tann continues to play a key role in a multi-faceted, complex and rare international personal insolvency engagement.’
‘Rajah & Tann do not flinch when challenged with difficult legal obstacles, instead overcoming such challenges with resilience. Their approachability combined with commerciality and super-efficient delivery of impeccable advice should be revered. Rajah & Tann’s key distinguishing factor is the offer of greatest flexibility to their client and thorough explanation of options, making the decision-making process for their client simpler than is often usual.’
White Energy Company Ltd
OUE Lippo Healthcare Limited
Prudential Assurance Co Singapore
Senda International Capital Limited
Alfa Bank of Russia
World Fuel Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd
ERC Holdings Pte Ltd
Swiber Holdings Limited and Swiber Offshore Construction Pte Ltd
Hin Leong Group
Eagle Hospitality Trust
- Acted for White Energy Company in seeking damages following latest win in S$1 billion dispute coal dispute against PT Bayan for breaching joint venture obligations, which was the first case heard by the newly established SICC.
- Successfully represented OUELH in a landmark decision by the Court of Appeal on how the restitutionary rule should apply in a case where multiple defendants are held jointly and severally liable at trial, but only a few succeed on appeal.
- Successfully acted for Prudential Assurance Co Singapore against its former Group Financial Services Director for breach of contract and fiduciary duties involving a mass departure of close to 250 advisors to a competitor.
WongPartnership LLP’s litigation and dispute resolution team covers a variety of specialised areas including infrastructure, construction, projects, and energy, restructuring, and insolvency. Its strong bench of practitioners includes co-heads Alvin Yeo and Chou Sean Yu who are experienced in appearing before the High Court, in matters related to asset recovery. Wendy Lin is recommended for her ‘impressive attention to detail’ and ‘very good commercial judgement’ in both litigation and arbitration cases, regularly acting as lead counsel in the firm’s high-value, contentious work. Koh Swee Yen acts alongside Yeo in high-profile cases, more recently in one of the largest minority oppression cases to be brought before the Singapore Court. Construction is another key industry for the firm which is spearheaded by Christopher Chuah and Ian de Vaz.
‘Both Swee Yen and Teck Wee exhibited excellent qualities one looks for in a partner of a dispute resolution practice. They are resourceful, client-oriented and quick to provide advice on a complex set aside proceeding involving a challenge to a jurisdiction award in an investor-State case. I would not hesitate to recommend Koh Swee Yen and Teck Wee to anyone looking for a well-rounded disputes practice in Singapore. ’
‘Wong P team is one of the best teams in Singapore that we have worked with. We always speak very highly of them to clients. What we impressed the most is their ability to manage matters in a very cost-efficient manner and their extensive knowledge of business and technical aspects of the law. The team is known to be one of the best solution providers in the market with a focus on arbitration-related matters. Compared with other firms, their advice is crystal clear and hit all the marks. The team is also diverse with a lot of female litigators / rising stars. ’
‘Wendy Lin has a first-class legal mind with an outstanding sense of litigation strategy. Combining with her impressive attention to detail, she is known for her sharpest insights among a strong group of litigators. She also has very good commercial judgment, which is absolutely necessary for complex cases.
Element Six Technologies Ltd (subsidiary of the De Beers Group)
Mr. Chew Hua Seng
Mr. Darsan Jitendra Jhaveri, Singapore Star Holdings Pte Ltd, Great Newton Properties Pte Ltd, Capital Glory Investments Pte Ltd, Newton Noble Properties Pte Ltd, Sino Noble Asset Management Pte Ltd, Singapore Star Investments Pte Ltd, Singapore Star Shipping Pte Ltd, Singapore Star Properties Pte Ltd, Sino Ling Tao Resources Pte Ltd, Millers Capital Investments Pte Ltd, Nova Raffles Holdings Pte Ltd
J&F Investimentos S.A., Joesley Mendonça Batista, Wesley Mendonça Batista
Deutsche Bank AG
Or Kim Peow Contractors (Pte) Ltd
Mr Mustaq Ahmad @ Mushtaq Ahmad S/O Mustafa
William Soerjonegoro & Partners
Mr Edmund Ng Kian Huan
Sun Travels & Tours Pvt Ltd
Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch
EC Prime Pte Ltd
Mr Tee Wee Sien
Sunbreeze Group Investments Limited, Mr Manoj Mohan Murjani, Mrs Kanchan Manoj Murjani
Raffles Education Corporation Limited, Raffles Education Corporation Limited, Raffles Education Investment (India) Pte. Ltd, Raffles Design International India Pvt. Ltd
EFG Bank AG, Singapore Branch
Merck Sharp & Dohme, Corp.; MSD Pharma (Singapore) Pte Ltd; MSD International GmbH (Singapore Branch); and Merck & Co., Inc
Orion-One Development Pte. Ltd. (In Voluntary Liquidation)
- Successfully defended Mr Chew Hua Seng against a claim in excess of S$26 million, brought against him by Mr Oei Hong Leong and Oei Hong Leong Art Museum Limited.
- Obtained judgment in Element Six Technologies Ltd’s (a subsidiary of the De Beers Group) favour, in a complex patent infringement action.
- Acted for Mr Mustaq Ahmad, the founder of Mustafa Centre, in one of the largest minority oppression cases to be brought before the Singapore Court, in Singapore’s legal history.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow is considered as ‘one of the few local practices that has a true global reach’ which allows it to assist clients throughout every stage of the process. Its litigation expertise appeals to corporate clients in a range of industries including financial services, oil and gas, construction, healthcare, aviation, and shipping. Nandakumar Ponniya, Celeste Ang, and associate Pradeep Nair are experienced in cases before all levels of Singapore court.
Nandakumar (Kumar) Ponniya
Other key lawyers:
Celeste Ang; Pradeep Nair
‘Celeste is very knowledgeable and provides concise advice which is both practical and commercially feasible, taking into account the client’s needs.’
‘Pradeep is very prompt in his response and is always on hand to answer queries.’
‘One of the few local practices that have true global reach. Can bring in resources in other jurisdictions to fight on multiple fronts, while also being coordinated. ’
‘Nandakumar Ponniya is a very commercial operator. ’
Poyry (Beijing) Consulting Company Ltd
iVenture Card Limited
JTrust Asia Pte Ltd
Mirae Asset Daewoo Co. Ltd
Ian Duncan Stewart
Thai Airways International Public Company Limited
UT Singapore Services Pte Ltd
Universal Terminal (S) Pte. Ltd.
- Represented JTrust Asia Pte Ltd in complex, multi-jurisdictional proceedings in Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, the British Virgin Islands, Cambodia, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Cyprus involving claims in excess of USD 200 million.
- Acted for a professional forestry asset valuer (Poyry Management Consulting (Singapore) Pte Ltd) in defending against a claim seeking damages in excess of USD 500 million arising out of a valuation report the client issued in 2007/2008 to Sino Forest Corporation.
- Acted for a seller of tourism-related packages and tourist passes in legal proceedings in the Singapore High Court involving multi-million dollar claims against the local agent, its related entity, and their directors for breach of contract, inducement of breach of contract, conspiracy to injure, and breach of confidence.
Cavenagh Law LLP
Boutique dispute resolution firm Cavenagh Law LLP handles a broad mix of cross-border insolvency, shareholder, construction, trust, and investment disputes, with a strong defence practice in professional indemnity & negligence, and white-collar crime. Its alliance with Clifford Chance allows the team to advise on both Singapore and international law. The team broadened its international arbitration and commercial litigation offering with the hire of Paul Tan from Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP in 2020. Nish Shetty who has notable expertise in regulatory and insolvency matters, and Paul Sandosham who is singled out for his ‘commercial approach and experience in handling disputes‘, jointly lead the team with Tan. Joan Lim-Casanova acts for Chinese private and state-owned entities in commercial litigation and arbitration in Asia. Senior associate Tian Yi is also noted for her ‘efficiency and her skilled case management.’
Nish Shetty; Paul Tan; Paul Sandosham
Other key lawyers:
Joan Lim-Casanova; Tan Tian Yi; Kabir Singh
‘Nish Shetty is well-known and Paul Tan is an up and coming partner with a growing reputation.’
‘Paul Tan is an industry expert with formidable knowledge in minority oppression. His approach to our case has been insightful and commercially aware, forcing the other side to rethink their strategy and take a more equitable approach in the negotiation process.’
‘We have been impressed by the efficiency and competency of the Clifford Chance team. Particularly we have appreciated their ability to provide experienced legal advice and also maintain commerciality in their approach, both in terms of billing and in how they have handled our dispute.’
‘Paul Sandosham, we have greatly appreciated his commercial approach and experience in handling disputes. Tan Tian Yi, we have greatly appreciated her efficiency and her skilled management of our matter.’
‘The team is highly qualified and have extensive research capabilities.’
‘Paul Tan is very approaching and understanding. He explains complex legal issues in simple terms that a layman can understand. His ability to think out of the box versus other lawyers is remarkable.’
‘I have had occasion to work with the Team on a few cross border matters and have been impressed with their speed, thoroughness and practicality in giving advice. They work in a collaborative manner and were available round the clock.’
‘The team is led by Kabir Singh who is a seasoned professional and who is familiar with the practice of law and its working all across South East Asia. He is also very easy to work with. He is ably supported by Elan Krishna and Sarah Hew in this practice.’
- Advising Hyflux Ltd, a previously listed Singapore water treatment company, and its subsidiaries which currently have approximately S$2.7 billion of unsecured debt, in high profile financial reorganisation exercise under the supervision of the Singapore High Court.
- Represented two subsidiaries of a leading global financial services and banking company as respondents in a SIAC arbitration commenced by a former mining magnate and businessman in Australia and his associated companies.
- Acted for the client in ICC arbitration proceedings in relation to disputes arising out of a project to construct a five-star hotel near Kolkata, India worth in excess of US$120 million.
Dentons Rodyk‘s practice uses its global reach to offer clients the best strategic solutions in a variety of high-profile disputes and complex litigations. Co-head Siang Pheng Lek is skilled in commercial litigation, shareholder disputes and international arbitration; especially in the medical sector where he is considered a go-to lawyer. Lawrence Teh is experienced as lead counsel in multi-jurisdictional dispute resolution cases before Singapore Courts in all areas of commercial law. Loh Jen Wei jointly spearheads the group’s shipping practice, handling all transport and trade-related disputes whilst Ajinderpal Singh’s team has particular expertise in shareholder disputes, insolvency and banking litigation.
Siang Pheng Lek
Other key lawyers:
Lawrence Teh; Jen Wei Loh; Ajinderpal Singh
Bachmeer Capital Limited
Gold Star Aviation
Group Lease Holdings
Iljin Electric Co., Ltd
Jurong Primewide Pte Ltd
Meinhardt International Group
PNG Sustainable Development Program Limited (PNGSDP)
PSK Asia Inc. Ltd.
Comfort Management Pte Ltd
- Defending PNG Sustainable Development Program Limited in a claim filed by the Plaintiffs on behalf of 147,000 residents of Papua New Guinea regarding the payment of its long term fund of approximately US$1.48billion.
- Defended JPW on all the contractual issues and successfully reduced the period of culpable delay for the purpose of liability because the trial was bifurcated.
- Defended Group Lease Holdings Pte Ltd and Mitsuji Konoshita in relation to alleged fraudulent misrepresentations and conspiracy claims brought against them by JTrust Asia Pte Ltd.
The litigation and dispute resolution team at K&L Gates Straits Law LLC represents an impressive range of multinational companies, banks and financial institutions, local corporates, and individuals in both a local and cross border capacity. Sreenivasan Narayanan specialises in complex financial and accounting issues. He recently led the high-profile defence of an individual client in criminal proceedings regarding market misconduct. Palaniappan Sundararaj ‘s work is largely focused on commercial and trade litigation with regular appearances before the Supreme Court of Singapore.
N. Sreenivasan, SC
Other key lawyers:
‘Narayanan Sreenivasan, SC is a very strong litigator, is able to succinctly get his points across and at the same time, also takes into consideration client preferences.’
Alternative Advisors Investments Pte Ltd
Bank of India, Singapore Branch
Indian Overseas Bank, Singapore Branch
Judicial Managers of Ocean Tankers (Pte.) Ltd
UGL (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Union Bank of India, Hong Kong
- Represented John Soh, a Malaysian National and businessman, who faces 189 charges under the Securities and Futures Act, Penal Code and Companies Act for various market misconduct and related offences.
- Advised the Judicial Managers of Ocean Tankers, the chartering arm of oil trader Hin Leong Pte Ltd in respect to the insolvency of Hin Leong, extensively covered in the media.
- Acted for a prominent high net-worth individual (both in his personal capacity and in his capacity as Karta of a Trust) and his wife in an appeal to the Court of Appeal against a High Court decision, that amongst others, dismissed their application to set aside an arbitral award.
Boutique firm LVM Law Chambers LLC‘s complex and international disputes team offers its solid litigation expertise to its notable domestic and international corporate clients. Practice heads Lok Vi Ming and Joseph Lee are singled out as ‘outstanding litigators’ who bring ‘a wealth of experience’ to a range complex commercial disputes at all levels of the Singapore Courts. The team’s workload spans various industries including oil and gas, insurance, construction, aviation and transport, insolvency and restructuring, crime and investigations, and private wealth and trust.
‘The team at LVM are very focused on delivering the results for clients and yet at the same time very professional in the way they conduct their cases. ’
‘Lok Vi Ming and Joseph Lee are outstanding litigators and bring a wealth of experience to bear on their advice and conduct of cases. ’
‘LVM stands out particularly in the traditional mode of practice – preparation, analysis and determination to provide the best legal advice. Aside from their smart use of modern technologies in neatly organising case materials and emails, their smart use of their own time doing the necessary reading, preparing and writing documents are second to none that I have experienced so far from a Singaporean firm.’
‘They are aware very acutely of the legal principles and recent jurisprudential developments, and are aware how these knowledge may be applied to the case facts – they read their authorities and case law (something quite rare these days) and are able to provide correct legal advice each time when issues arise.’
‘I am very impressed by their performance and am very happy to give them the highest recommendation.’
‘Mr Lok Vi Ming SC – clearly a leader in the field, very astute with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the relevant laws which apply to each commercial legal issue. What I found extremely helpful was his hands-on approach when providing practical legal advice to clients and the strong written submissions.’
Unipec Singapore Pte Ltd
Inter Pacific Petroleum Pte Ltd
Two Hong Kong incorporated companies
CIMB Bank Berhad
Unipec Singapore Pte Ltd
A well-established law firm in Singapore
J.G. Jewellery Pte Ltd
A prominent Malaysian businessman
Plutoray Pte. Ltd., Vaara Pte. Ltd., Starlight Corp Pte. Ltd.
Grabtaxi Holdings Pte Ltd
Zonergy Company Limited
Fauziyah Binte Mohd Ahbidin
Sengkang Town Council
- Represented Unipec Singapore Pte. Ltd. in four interpleader actions which involved issues of conspiracy and fraud to claim for cargo worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented a Chinese state-owned entity in the SICC in complex solar power project disputes involving issues of conspiracy and fraud effected through a labyrinth of agreements and transactions.
- Represented Inter Pacific Petroleum Pte Ltd in a suit against its former errant director for breach of director’s duties.
Shook Lin & Bok LLP‘s reputable disputes practice covers a range of complex contentious matters with a cross border element. The team, led by David Chan, focuses on corporate and commercial, banking and finance, and employment-related disputes. Chan focuses on commercial litigation with specialisations in fraud and insolvency, while Sarjit Singh Gill SC’s international arbitration practice is highly regarded and bolstered by his membership in the SIAC.
Other key lawyers:
Sarjit Singh Gill
Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore) Limited
Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
Advantage Overseas Private Limited and Shrikant Bhasi
The Independent Panel of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council
Cougar Pacific Pte. Ltd
China Star Food Group Limited
Bharat Forge Limited
Funvest Global Pte Ltd
Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Taytonn Pte Ltd
ASCC Enterprises Pte Ltd
CT Art Creation Pte Ltd
- Acted for Advantage Overseas Private Limited and Shrikant Bhasi as 2nd and 3rd Defendants in a suit commenced by the Plaintiffs relating to merchanting trade transactions in India involving commodities trade.
- Acted for HSBC Bank in a fraud, negligence, and conspiracy suit related to the collapse of Hin Leong Trading(Pte)Ltd (HLT) against the Lim Family and a former senior executive of HLT.
- Acted for the Independent Panel of the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council in an action filed on behalf of the Town Council against its current members and elected members of Parliament, including Mr Low Thia Khiang, Ms Sylvia Lim Swee Lian and Mr Pritam Singh, over alleged improper payments.
TSMP Law Corporation handles a spread of complex commercial and corporate disputes and is a key player in the emerging trust litigation arena. The team led by Thio Shen Yi, a leading commercial litigator, is experienced in contentious matters related to shareholder agreements, construction, employment, and insolvency for international banks and financial institutions. Kelvin Koh offers his extensive knowledge of trust and succession law to high-net-worth families and individuals in a range of trust-related disputes concerning land, estate planning, and cross-border pre-nuptial agreements. Pei Ching Ong specialises in fraud-related litigation and IP disputes.
Thio Shen Yi, SC
Other key lawyers:
Kelvin Koh; Pei Ching Ong; Melvin Chan; Adrian Tan
‘Good team of lawyers and very good in handling litigation’.
‘Outstanding advocacy through intuitive and innovative thinking. Energetic, sharp thinking and unrelenting.’
‘Synergistic team, responsive, and a very holistic approach when it came to handling cases. Proper and thoughtful advice was always given even if it was not optimal for revenue generation. This was especially true for Kelvin Koh.’
Compagnia de Navegacion Palomar, S.A.
Cosmopolitan Finance Corporation
Dominion Corporation S.A.
John Manners & Co Pte Ltd
Peninsular Navigation Company Pte Ltd
Straits Marine Company Pte Ltd
Peter Tan Shou Yi
Tedi Fly River Development Foundation Ltd
Eight members of communities living in the Western Province of Papua New Guinea
YTL PowerSeraya Pte. Limited
Seraya Energy Pte Ltd
The Kheng Chiu Tin Hou Kong and Burial Ground
Royston Moh Tai Suan
16 owners of 12 shop units in Macpherson Mall
ERC Unicampus Pte Ltd
Avery Strategic Investments Pte Ltd
Chengdu Ding Feng Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. Taicang Ding Feng Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. Xiamen Pacific Estate Investment Co., Ltd
- Successfully acted for Peter Tan, a former Prudential senior financial services manager, in defending a S$2.8 billion claim by Prudential over alleged mass poaching of agents.
- Acting for the communities in Papua New Guinea that were affected by the country’s biggest environmental disaster in recovering monies amounting to US$1.48bn meant for the benefit of said communities.
- Successfully acted for an electricity generator in Singapore and its electricity retailing arm in pursuing S$32 million liquidated damages from their customers, two Singapore subsidiaries of Japanese materials manufacturer Denka Co Ltd, in relation to the termination of an electricity contract.
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP combines its litigation and investigative skills with a deep-seated knowledge of technology and IP to cater to the range of contentious challenges facing companies today. It seamlessly draws from its multi-jurisdictional expertise to provide clients with all necessary knowledge in the handling of cases. Jonathan Choo is particularly noted for his experience in complex, high-value international arbitrations in several sectors, including technology, construction, aviation, insurance, and intellectual property. Choo and counsel Shaun Lee are praised for their ability to ‘separate legal wheat from the chaff’. The teams’ capabilities have expanded to encompass more contentious regulatory matters, which Lijun Chui who joined from Clifford Chance in October 2020 is recommended for.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Choo; Lijun Chui; Shaun Lee
‘Shaun Lee and Jonathan Choo are top-notch. They separate legal wheat from the chaff and provide top-notch counsel accordingly.’
‘Very professional team with lots of resources and knowledge covering multiple areas.’
‘A sophisticated and eminently practical view of the local litigation landscape, particularly from the context of a non-resident entity.’
‘Strong legal analysis skills, which are crucial when deciding whether to pursue a claim or not. They are flexible in billing arrangements, which is important during uncertain times, such as during COVID.’
‘Besides being legal experts, Jonathan Choo and Shaun Lee listen intently to understand their clients’ needs and to find resolution with the counterparty, where possible, and put in their all when a fight is necessary.’
‘One of our matters required assistance from various departments in the firm. The partners worked well together to provide holistic advice on the same matter.’
‘Chui Lijun is very responsive to our needs and inspires confidence with her attention to the matter. She is pleasant to work with and has an amiable demeanour. Her advice strikes a practical balance of the considerations at play. She guided us in dealing and diffusing a dispute with a rather abrasive adverse party.’
Aztech Well Construction International Pte Ltd
Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd
Forfar Capital and John Forsyth
Novartis (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Oracle Corporation Singapore Pte Ltd
RCMA Group Pte Ltd
Retrospect Investment (S) Pte Ltd and Permenpronic Technologies Pte Ltd
Roche (Hong Kong and Singapore)
Voltas Limited – a TATA group company
- Represented a leading American multinational corporation that provides B2B IT services in disputes in the Singapore Courts for pre-emptive action against the customer.
- Successfully represented a major LNG company in Singapore and a former Shell associate in defending wrongful dismissal and conspiracy claims.
- Acted for Merck KGaA on its global / multi-jurisdictional trademark and breach of co-existence agreement dispute with Merck & Co.
Boutique dispute resolution firm Braddell Brothers LLP covers litigation, arbitration, and mediation, offering strategic solutions to clients in a range of industries. Lead partner Edmund Jerome Kronenburg regularly appears at all levels of Singapore courts and in international arbitrations in disputes regarding employment, insolvency, and medical negligence and misconduct. Angelia Thng also appears on behalf of the Singapore Medical Council in disciplinary proceedings and is experienced in complex matrimonial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive, very willing to talk you through to explore options and to guide you through the process.’
‘Edmund Kronenburg – offers a unique view that takes into account commercial and strategic considerations. ’
BASF Intertrade AG (Singapore Branch)
beIN Asia Limited & beIN Sports Asia Pte Limited
Autodesk Asia Pte Ltd & Autodesk Ltd, Japan
Wondershare Technology Co. Limited
Singapore Medical Council
Enivision Capital Limited
BD Crantech Pte Ltd
- Represented key subsidiaries of Wondershare Technology Co. Limited in bringing legal proceedings against APACPAY Pte Ltd (“Apacpay”), for breaches of various payment gateway agreements entered between the parties.
- Rrepresented BAFCO Singapore Pte Ltd in a High Court claim against its former employees and related entities involving inter alia misuse of confidential information, inducement of breach of employment contract and conspiracy.
- Represented a mother and child in a landmark medical negligence claim against the National University Hospital (NUH) and their Senior Consultant / Clinical Director of the Division of Maternal Foetal Medicine, and the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
The disputes team at CNPLaw LLP specialises in disputes related to construction and engineering, in which the team acts for developers, main contractors, and specialised sub-contractors. Soo Ling See Tow and Subramanian Pillai co-lead the diverse practice which also handles IP,, family, commercial disputes, and property litigation.
Soo Ling See Tow; Subramanian Pillai
‘Good client management skills and prompt delivery of work.’
Harry Elias Partnership
Managing partner Philip Fong leads the practice at Harry Elias Partnership bringing his broad-reaching litigation experience in civil, commercial, and criminal matters. The firm is regarded as a ‘one-stop-shop for all arbitration and litigation needs by both prominent individual clients, financial institutions and corporations at both domestic and international level. S Suressh has a focus on employment matters, Andy Lem handles cases pertaining to intellectual property and Francis Goh heads the international arbitration practice group.
Other key lawyers:
S Sressh; Andy Lem; Francis Goh
‘Firm has diverse practice groups covering complex litigation and low-end motor-accident cases.’
Chua Peng Jun
Raffles Hospital Pte Ltd
CDL Properties Ltd
South Beach Consortium Pte Ltd
Public Utilities Board
SMRT Corporation Limited
HSBC Institutional Trust Services (S) Ltd
First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC Singapore Branch
BRC Asia Limited
Management Corporation Strata Title Plan No. 3602
Rich-Link Construction Pte Ltd
- Represented HSBC Institutional Trust Services (Singapore) in claims for over SGD 108 million against the Hyflux Group.
- Represented MCST 3602 in the Singapore High Court Suit HC/S 1149/2014 to claim against the builder (China Construction (South Pacific) Development Co Pte Ltd), the architect (ADDP Architects LLP), and the Professional Engineer (Gary Ng Wee Giap), for spontaneous shattering of glass balustrades due to the alleged wrongful use of 1-ply non-laminated tempered glass in all 132 units.
Morgan Lewis Stamford LLC
The ‘dynamic’ disputes team at Morgan Lewis Stamford LLC, led by Wendy Tan and Daniel Chia, is active in a range of complex commercial and corporate disputes. Tan is highly regarded for her work in shipping, international trade and commodities, energy, insurance, and international arbitrations. Of note is her recent work for PetroChina International on the high-profile collapse of Hin Leong Trading. Chia’s experience lends itself to the banking and finance industries in white-collar crime proceedings pertaining to fraud and regulatory enforcement.
Wendy Tan; Daniel Chia
‘The team from Stamford is dynamic and are excellent litigators.’
‘Daniel Chia is an excellent litigator.’
COSCO Group of companies
Sinfeng Marine Services and Cosco Petroleum Pte Ltd
PTT Thailand Limited
Gift Management Asia
Gracious Land Pte Ltd
Oei Hong Leong
Air Kanbawza Ltd
Arup Singapore Pte Ltd
ISO Team Limited
- Represented PetroChina on various issues arising out of the high profile collapse of Hin Leong Trading, one of Asia’s largest fuel traders and bunker suppliers, and its shipping arm, Ocean Tankers (Pte) Ltd.
- Successfully defended Arup Singapore Pte Ltd against a Singapore High Court claim initiated by Global Switch, a worldwide operator of data centres.
- Successfully represented Sinfeng Marine Services Pte. Ltd. and COSCO Petroleum Pte. Ltd., in the Singapore Court of Appeal in a landmark decision in creditors’ voluntary liquidation.
Oon & Bazul LLP
Oon & Bazul LLP is a ‘collaborative practice with people of different strengths working together’ handling high value, commercial disputes in the international trade, shipping, insurance, oil and gas sectors. The team, led by Bazul Ashhab and Kelly Yap, is experienced in international arbitration matters as well as white-collar related criminal disputes. Suresh Divyanathan handles commercial litigation in the Singapore High Court and arbitrations. Chenthil Kumrasingam departed in August 2020.
Bazul Ashhab; Kelly Yap
Other key lawyers:
‘A collaborative practice with people with different strengths working together.’
‘Approachable and industry-oriented.’
National Bank of Oman
Wivewaters Resources Pte Ltd
Shree Ramkrishna Exports
Agritrade Resources Limited
Red Sea Marine Services
- Acted for the National Bank of Oman (NBO), one of the forefront Middle Eastern banks to prosecute a bank fraud claim in excess of US$14 million and recently succeeded in representing the National Bank of Oman in a claim against the 5 remaining Defendants in the action.
- Acted for Zaftr Inc regarding an elaborate fraudulent scheme that induced Zaftr to transfer over US$5.3 million dollars to them in consideration for 510 Bitcoins.
- Represented Wivewaters Resources Pte. Ltd. in a claim for an unpaid invoice valued at over US$1.9 million.
Pinsent Masons MPillay
Pinsent Masons MPillay's risk advisory services team is renowned for its work on complex construction, infrastructure and energy-related disputes. Practice head Mohan Pillay is praised for his ‘prompt and precise’ advice on commercial disputes and arbitral proceedings. The recent addition of Frédéric Gillion in September 2020 has further strengthened the firm’s arbitration practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good client empathy and keeping the team focused on deliverables and client objectives.’
‘This team is a very competent team in Singapore and offers good value for money.’
Boutique disputes firm Providence Law Asia LLC offers independent counsel to domestic and multi-jurisdictional disputes and international arbitrations across the region as well as litigations at all levels of Singapore Court. The practice handles corporate and commercial litigation, international arbitration, restructuring and insolvency, civil fraud, asset recovery and criminal defence cases. Abraham Vergis and Mingguan Lim frequently handle arbitrations under several institutions including the SIAC and ICC. Nawaz Kamil is a key contact with extensive experience in insolvency and restructuring. Zhuo Jiaxiang focuses on construction and engineering disputes. The practice is jointly led by the four practitioners mentioned above.
Abraham Vergis, SC; Nawaz Kamil; Zhuo Jiaxiang; Lim Mingguan
Six Capital Investments Limited
Mr Stephen Wolfe,
Angela Ee and Aaron Loh
YTL Construction (S) Pte Ltd
Prime Capital Maldives Ltd
Mistry Blue Limited
Dr Wong Yew Choy
Triumphant Gold Limited
Mr Mano Sabnani
Mr Sang Cheol Woo
- Successfully defended Stephen Wolfe, China Country head of Macquarie Bank Limited, in a dispute against a Chinese State-Owned Enterprise in the SICC regarding a commodity swap transaction arising from the ISDA Master Agreement.
- Acted for Angela Ee and Aaron Loh (the “Liquidators”) from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP who were appointed by the Singapore High Court to be the joint liquidators of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Acting for YTL Construction (S) Pte Ltd, a Singapore subsidiary of a prominent Malaysian infrastructure conglomerate, YTL Corporation Bhd in a S$10 million construction dispute with Balanced Engineering and Construction.
Roderick Martin heads the litigation and disputes team at RHTLaw Asia LLP which is actively involved in claims in the Singapore courts, Singapore International Commercial Court as well as domestic and international arbitration proceedings. The team handles complex commercial matters and cross-border disputes for a diverse corporate clientele ranging from start-ups to household names. Deputy practice head Nandakumar Renganathan is the key partner for shareholder disputes, sale of goods, defamation, property disputes, and IP-related claims. Conrad Campos who specialises in construction-related disputes is noted, as are Senthil Dayalan and S Gayathar who joined the team in early 2021.
Roderick Martin; Nandakumar Renganathan
Other key lawyers:
Conrad Campos; Senthil Dayalan; S Gayathr
Selvam LLC's recent caseloads include a steady stream of matters in the construction, commercial and transaction, and family law areas, and the team also has expertise in compliance and investigations matters. Benefiting from its joint venture with Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, it is well placed to handle cross-border disputes which the Singapore-based team works with Shanghai, Vietnam, Myanmar and New York offices. Managing director Sarbjit Singh Chopra has a strong focus in the construction sector, and with notable experience in handling finance, fraud and IP disputes. Sean La’Brooy is recommended for commercial and employment disputes. Former district judge Clement Julien Tan joined from the State Courts in June 2021.
Sarbjit Singh Chopra
Other key lawyers:
Sean La’Brooy; Daniel Soo; Clement Julien Tan
Beneficiaries of the Estate of Samsuddin s/o Moktar Ahmad
The Korea Development Bank
TA Private Capital Limited
TransAsia Private Capital Limited
Apex Energy International Pte Ltd
Charles Lim Song Leng
Trust Our Trade Co Ltd
- Represented beneficiaries of the Estate of Samsuddin s/o Moktar Ahmad in a S$350 million claim for minority oppression against the majority shareholders and directors of Mohamed Mustafa and Samsuddin Co. Pte Ltd.
Simmons & Simmons
Mohammed Reza who is described as ‘an astonishingly good commercial advocate’ spearheads the disputes team at Simmons & Simmons which specialises in financial market disputes for financial institutions, banks, and multinational corporations. Reza is a key name for employment disputes, advising on contentious issues relating to reorganisation, restructuring, and employee relations challenges. Leveraging its extensive global footprint, it advises on both international and Singapore law, and 'the integration of its local and international expertise is excellent - the local partners bring practical insights that are fit for clients in Singapore, at the same time backed up by the infrastructure and collective knowledge of its international colleagues'.
‘The firm has strong connections with the Hong Kong office, which we also rely on for advice, so it makes cross-border advice consistent.
‘Mohammed Reza tries to understand our business operations and give tailored advice. Reza is also well versed in Singapore Compliance matters which is important to us.’
‘The integration of their local and international expertise is excellent. The local partners bring practical insights that are fit for clients in Singapore, at the same time backed up by the infrastructure and collective knowledge of their international colleagues.’
‘Mohammed Reza is an astonishingly good commercial advocate. His intellect, ability to master documents and advocacy are superb. We also really value his attention to detail.’
Qatar National Bank (Q.P.S.C.), Singapore Branch
Seabury Trade Capital SPC
RCMA Asia Pte Ltd
- Acted for Qatar National Bank (Q.P.S.C.), Singapore Branch, an institutional creditor, in the widely reported and high profile restructuring of Hin Leong Trading Pte Ltd with debts in excess of US$3.6 billion.
- Acted for Seabury Trade Capital SPC (with debts of reportedly circa. US$40 million) in the widely reported restructuring of Agritrade International Pte Ltd with debts reportedly in excess of US$1.55 billion.
- Acted for Qatar National Bank (Q.P.S.C.), Singapore Branch, one of the largest creditors of Brightoil Holdings (Limited) and Brightoil Petroleum (Singapore) Pte Ltd, in the restructuring of the Brightoil Group, and successfully obtaining judgment for a sum in excess of US$21.59mil against the HKSE-listed Brightoil Petroleum (Holdings) Limited.
Tan Kok Quan Partnership has a ‘very strong team from partners to associates’ which covered a variety of disputes including those regarding bribery, corruption, fraud, conspiracy, real estate, defamation, contractual breaches, and IP. The team is led by Marina Chin and Eddee Ng, and also includes Paul Seah who appears regularly before Singapore courts and is praised for his ability to ‘identify key issues in complex cases’ and his ‘clear, concise and persuasive’ manner in the courtroom.
Marina Chin; Eddee Ng
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a very strong team from the partners down to the associates.’
‘Paul Seah is a tremendously talented litigator. He is able to identify key issues in complex cases to focus on. In the courtroom, he is clear, concise and persuasive. ’
‘The team works well together, is very professional and attentive. ’
Beyonics group of companies
Sengkang Town Council
United Overseas Bank Limited (“UOB”)
Mdm Ooi Chhooi Ngh Bibiana
Ms Serene Tiong
The team at Virtus Law LLP – Stephenson Harwood (Singapore) Alliance is endorsed for ‘often thinking out of the box to provide alternative, practical solutions’ for both individual clients and multi-national corporations. As a member of the Advisory Board to the National University of Singapore Centre for Maritime Law, Daryll Ng frequently acts as lead counsel on shipping and maritime disputes. Terence Seah is the forerunner in white-collar crime matters and Lauren Tang focuses on commercial litigations. Other areas of expertise include insolvency, employment, and international arbitration. Its alliance with Stephenson Harwood supports its role in multi-jurisdictional cases.
‘Terence Seah was my counsel in a litigation case, and his advice was critical in helping me to achieve a timely and unequivocal win. The research that he and his team did into the relevant area of law was instrumental in supporting my case and in leading to the opposing party’s case being struck out quickly. At all times, there was never any question that the team was advocating for my best interests, not just in terms of the legal victory, but also in trying to help me save costs.’
‘Partner Terence Seah is the utmost professional. He was always looking out for my best interests, even if by doing so could have meant lower fees for him (due to the speed of resolution). There was never any doubt that he knew the law intimately; he was able to answer my questions well, explained matters clearly. Just as importantly for a litigator, Terence is also a keen tactician who can parry with the best of them. His advice was always spot on. ’
‘Virtus Law is a hands-on, highly responsive team that provides excellent client engagement and communication. Their strengths lie in having an exceptionally tenacious attitude towards any given problem, often thinking out of the box to provide alternative, practical solutions.’
‘Terence Seah is the lawyer we approach for tricky situations – his depth of knowledge of the legal principles coupled with commercial experience enables him to provide solutions for unusual problems and issues. His tenacity as a savvy litigator also makes him an excellent choice.’
‘The firm is knowledgeable and is always ready to help whenever necessary. As such, its advice is reliable and helpful. ’
‘Daryll Ng is always helpful and gives practical advice in time. ’
9050558 Canada Ltd and Bridging Finance Inc.
Bestjet Travel Pty Ltd
Volatility Token Master Fund
Standard Chartered Bank
Various clients in the cryptocurrency sector
Great Eastern Assurance
Equiom Fiduciary Services Pte Ltd
- Advised a major insurance company in a nationwide investigation of insurance fraud involving physiotherapy clinics and medical concierge companies (in conjunction with the Ministry of Health and Commercial Affairs Division of the police).
- Acted as lead counsel to BNP Paribas in claims against a defaulting borrower and enforcement against security and coordinated a multi-jurisdictional effort ultimately leading to successful and very substantial recovery against Brightoil.
- Represented 9050558 Canada Ltd and Bridging Finance Inc. in Singapore High Court proceedings for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, misrepresentation and conspiracy, with damages amounting to about US$19 million.
The team at Withers KhattarWong LLP is comprised of experienced commercial litigators renowned for working with private businesses and high-net-worth individuals at both a domestic and international scale. Managing partner Deborah Barker SC heads the team bringing three decades of commercial and civil litigation experience, regularly acting for financial institutions and multinational corporations. Shashi Nathan has extensive experience in criminal cases before trial and appellate courts. Other key figures include Spring Tan, who specialises in construction; Sharon Lin who acts for some of the major insurance companies in Singapore; and Ushan Premaratne who has notable experience handling cross-border commercial disputes in the areas of financial, trust and investment-related claims. International arbitration specialist Shaun Leong joined from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP in August 2020.
‘Withers KhattarWong has shown us that the team is very helpful, understanding the whole situation of the dispute and advising on how to go about in solving the dispute at every stage.’
‘Shaun Leong is very pleasant to work with, extremely positive attitude, very responsive to requests, and provides practical advice. Shaun is not afraid to pick a side and give his opinion to clients, helping them to decide.’
AREF Holdings Limited
Bellaven Limited, Baguera Limited
Delphinium Capital PLC
United Overseas Bank Limited
Tan Ho Sung @ Taufiq Tan
Anil Singh Gurm
Joo Toon LLC
William KW Leung & Co.
Benzline Auto Pte. Ltd.
Eng Soon Auto Pte. Ltd.
Best Demo Deal Trading Limited
Boustead Singapore Limited
Richinn Technology Pte Ltd
Mr Richard Lim
Mr Robert Lim
Multimedia Engineering Pte Ltd
Woo Siew Eng
Poh Eng Kok
Jin Shi Fang Pte Ltd
- Acted for AREF Holdings Limited, Adalene Limited, Bellaven Limited, Baguera Limited in proceedings pertaining to fraud and conspiracy commenced by the Singapore-based investment arm of a Japanese public listed company.
- Acted for Delphinium Capital PLC in a fraud case involving the Wirecard entities which resulted in oCap going into creditors’ voluntary liquidation.
- Acted as an expert witness in HCA 847/2013 to provide an expert opinion on Singapore law on restraint of trade clauses in the context of business venture entered into between a Singapore company and a Hong Kong company.