Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands in East Midlands
Focusing primarily on the aerospace, private equity, manufacturing and insurance industries, BHW Solicitors' 'commercially minded and pragmatic' team advises clients on M&A, corporate restructuring, secured lending and commercial contracts. Ed Nurse is frequently engaged by companies selling or buying shares in high value transactions. He recently advised Gardner Aerospace Holdings on its sale to Shaanxi Ligeance Mineral Resources for $326m. Driven by partner Stephen McElhone's wealth of experience, the team also assists clients with submitting IPOs on the AIM and NEX exchanges. 'Thorough and helpful' Alex Clifton is very active in a wide range of corporate transactions and often provides key support to Nurse.
‘The BHW commercial team is as good as any team in a big city firm which is unusual in the region.’
‘BHW are an excellent legal choice for UK company owners and have become our go-to recommendation for high quality corporate and M&A services.’
‘The team always have the best interests of their clients at heart, they are excellent communicators and always contactable.’
‘Highly professional, sound advice, straight talking yet down to earth and approachable.’
‘Alex Clifton always keeps in touch, always wants to know what’s going on in our business and is always on hand to offer speedy advice and bounce things off.’
‘Alex Clifton and Ed Nurse are a pleasure to work with and I would not hesitate to work with them again should the opportunity arise.’
‘Alex Clifton is my go-to corporate and commercial specialist. He is straight talking and clear in his advice yet has the ability to tackle difficult topics in a sensitive manner.’
Correlation Investments Limited
Lavendon Group Limited
Gardner Group Limited
Oadby Plastics Limited
BPX Group Limited
NatWest Bank Plc
Nationwide Platforms Limited
Money Thing Capital Limited
Animal Friends Insurance Services Limited
HSBC Bank Plc
Qualvis Print and Packaging Limited
Deichmann-Shoes UK Limited
Savage Marine Ltd
Home Pro Insurance Limited
Creative Software Solutions (Europe) Limited
Verdon Timber Group Limited
Marks Electrical Limited
Notts Sport Limited
UK Airsoft Limited
Blauberg UK Limited
Staircraft Group Limited
Eclipse Group Solutions Limited
Evergreens (UK) Limited
BTE Plant Sales Limited
Delta Global Source Holdings Limited
Solutions Diverse Ltd
Sturrock and Robson Limited
Red Sands Insurance Company (Europe) Limited
Clifton Packaging Group Limited
AutoProtect Group Limited
Reach Engineering & Diving Services Ltd (REDS)
- Advised the shareholders on their disposal of Shepshed Autospares to Alliance Automotive UK Limited.
- Advised AIM listed Beowulf Mining on its follow-on investment in Vardar Minerals Ltd.
- Advised Flying Spares Limited on its conversion to an employee ownership trust (EOT).
Hewitsons' clients include SMEs and large domestic and international corporates. Its 'outcome driven' team has a strong track record of acting for selling shareholders on high value transactions, as well as handling company restructurings. The firm is also well-equipped to advise clients on a raft of commercial transactions, particularly in the technology and IP fields, where Kevin Fletcher has a wealth of experience. 'Outstanding solicitor' David Browne is involved in a high volume of acquisitions and disposals, often focusing on the healthcare and automobile sectors. Neil Harpham has notable expertise in lending and project financing.
‘Hewitsons are small enough to give a very personal service but big enough to have all the experts available when you need them.’
‘We used the firm for the sale of our company and they were meticulous, ensuring our shareholders were protected to the full and aware of what the transaction meant to them personally. They were a great team to work with.’
‘The team are empathetic and possess the intellectual ability to understand client objectives, needs, personalities and emotions during high pressure commercial deals.’
‘Excellent rapport and credibility building skills with the other side, coupled with firm but fair negotiating skills.’
‘Neil Harpham has been there and seen it all. Nothing phases him and whilst many left field issues come up, Neil will always have a calm strategy to proceed taking out the panic when emotions can be running high.’
Shareholders of Working Transitions Limited
T Groocock & Co (Rothwell) Limited
Transend Solutions Limited
Perrys Motor Sales Limited
Medigold Health Consultancy Limited
Gambling.com Group plc
Fencor Packaging Group Limited
Intamac Systems Limited
- Advising Working Transitions Limited shareholders on the sale of their shares to AdviserPlus.
- Advising T Groocock & Co on the sale of its shares to The Little Norwich Shoe Company Limited.
- Advising the shareholders of TransSend Solutions Limited on the sale of their shares to the Civica Group.
In 2019, Howes Percival LLP's team expanded significantly, with corporate partners Jahid Ali and Oliver Brookshaw joining the practice from Spearing Waite alongside banking specialists Haydon Simmonds (also of Spearing Waite) and Ian Ilersic (former Head of Legal at Deutsche Bank). The firm predominantly advises medium and large corporates on M&A, investments, joint ventures and commercial agreements. In a recent work highlight, Daniel Banton served as lead adviser to vendor group Persian Properties Limited on the sale of the entire share capital of Station Road Developments (Management) and SRD (Trading). 'Exceptionally talented' partner Gerald Couldrake continues to regularly act for selling shareholders in various industries.
‘Small but good team more than capable of managing acquisitions.’
‘All I want from my legal team is piece of mind that my business is not exposing itself to risk and this team gives me that reassurance in a timely and supportive manner.’
‘They care and are always willing to go the extra mile. No matter the issue nor their internal workload they are always willing to be on the end of the phone to provide reassurance and support.’
‘I have worked with Daniel Banton for over 12 years and would not consider going anywhere else.’
Money Redress Limited
Buckingham Plant Hire Limited
HSBC Bank plc
Progress Bedford Limited
Euro Food Brands Limited
The British Racing Drivers Club Limited
Ataraxia Broking Ltd
Longwall Venture Partners
Leicestershire Cricket Club
Abbey Commercial Investments Limited
Erskine Murray Limited
Retail Realisation Limited
The Property Investor Partnership Limited
Tetenal UK Limited
Block Technology Limited
The Deltic Group
- Served as lead advisor to the shareholders of Money Redress Limited in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of leading claims management company Money Redress Limited to French/Swiss PE backed Rothley Holdings Limited.
- Advised HSBC UK Bank plc in relation to the funding package provided to support the award winning management team’s MBO of Leicester based aluminium component manufacturer, Harrisons Castings.
- Advised the vendor of Euro Food Brands Limited on the de-merger of the Illycoffee distribution business and subsequent sale to Illycafé SPA of Italy.
With particular strength in the healthcare sector, Freeths LLP primarily advises private and public companies and owner managed businesses on sales and acquisitions, complex lease agreements and corporate structuring. The team is also known for its expertise advising lenders, such as Clydesdale Bank, and investors in relation to debt and equity transactions. Keith Gilbert continues to advise clients on acquisitions and sales in various industries, including healthcare and manufacturing. Phil Baigent specialises in advising care operators, investors and funders on a wide range of transactions, including M&A.
‘Freeths provides an ideal balance between City-level professionalism and regional costs and approachability. They have an excellent grasp of the healthcare sector, which allows them to identify key aspects of a transaction that require particular attention.’
‘Phil Baigent (Leicester) / Thomas Golding (Nottingham) / Richard Williams and Helen Jones (London) have worked together on a recent transaction in a seamless fashion, responding quickly and in a thorough manner to any points raised either by ourselves or our customer’s lawyers. A pleasure to work with.’
Anchor Hanover Group
BMI Healthcare Limited
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
Carlsberg UK Limited
Clydesdale Bank plc
Countrywide Care Homes
Harrison Castings Limited
Integrated Doorset Solutions Limited
James Convenience Retail Limited
Lloyds Bank plc
Maria Mallaband Care Group Limited
MCR Systems Limited
Motor Parts Direct Limited
M P K Garages Limited
OEM – Automatic Limited
Regen Holdings Limited/Whites Recycling Limited
Santander UK plc
Sofidel UK Limited
Sprintquip Pty Ltd
Svenska Handelsbanken AB publ
Travis Perkins plc
- Advised the management team of Harrison Castings on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of HC 2019 Limited (the holding company of Harrison Castings Limited) from the Harrison family.
- Advised Maria Mallaband Care Group Limited on the acquisition of a portfolio of care homes from Blue Brick Healthcare with institutional leases put in place with a major care home funder (Target Healthcare REIT).
Gateley Plc's practice specialises in handling corporate transactions and private equity deals for domestic and international clients. Gareth John advises clients throughout the East Midlands on M&A, buyouts and disposals. John Buckby is the firm's go-to commercial partner, focusing primarily on all areas of IP law, including patent, trade mark and copyright infringement. He also drafts commercial contracts for clients in the music industry.
Watches of Switzerland Group
Phoenix Parker Holdings
Business Growth Fund
The Fleet Auction Group
Mawby & King
Digital Office Group
- Advised Watches of Switzerland on the acquisition of Macrocom Limited.
- Advised the Business Growth Fund on its investment in Blue Light Card Limited.
- Advised Snowdome Holdings Limited on the buyout of one of its founding shareholders and the introduction of additional shareholder and executive directors.
With a range of clients that includes SMEs, public companies and owner managed businesses, Nelsons Solicitors Limited is particularly strong in M&A, corporate restructurings and drafting commercial contracts. Chris Rees is experienced in corporate finance and private equity transactions, where he acts for clients such as management teams, investors and corporates. Harpreet Sandhu advises clients on commercial agreements and risk mitigation strategies across various key areas, including outsourcing, distribution, product development and IP.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent team ethos, particularly in the Leicester based corporate team led by Chris Rees.’
‘Nelsons are very efficient, helpful and insightful. They come back in a timely manner and are ahead of the curve when it comes to legislative changes.’
Prime Life Limited
Nucleus Commercial Finance Limited
Nucleus Property Finance Limited
Ultimate Asset Finance Limited
Nucleus Cash Flow Finance Limited
Nucleus Business Cash Advance Limited
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
4Syte Trade Finance Limited
4Syte Structured Finance Limited
Noted for its particular focus on supporting SMEs, Shakespeare Martineau LLP's 'well informed and reliable' practice advises clients on group restructurings and reorganisations, sales and acquisitions. It also handles a broad range of commercial matters, including joint ventures, service provision contracts, IP rights and outsourcing arrangements. The team also has a niche in the education sector, where it advises universities on their business needs. Roy Botterill has over 25 years of experience assisting owner-managed businesses with transactions and the structuring of their operations. Martin Noble has significant expertise in IP law, data protection and commercial contracts.
‘Responses are timely and information provided is clear with the offer of further support if and when required.’
‘The team is very approachable and works well under pressure.’
‘Martin Noble will go above and beyond to guide clients through important transactions.’
‘Roy Botterill is extremely approachable and friendly and when I have worked with him on specific legal projects his work has been excellent.’
Coba International Limited
Shield Engineering (Syston) Limited
Furnley house Limited
Dudley & Halesowen Colleges
Growth Partners Limited
- Advised the major shareholder of Thermal Exchange on their second disposal in 12 months.
- Advised shareholders of Isedio on the sale of the company and a sister company in Australia to Ancon plc. The commercial team acted on the simultaneous sale of a portfolio of privately held IP rights used within the business.
- Advised Growth Partners Limited on its acquisition of Northern Irish payroll services provider CJS Payroll.
Sills & Betteridge LLP's Lincoln-based team has 'broad knowledge and experience', which is evident when assisting clients with sales and acquisitions, commercial contracts and restructurings. James Conduit, who is well-versed in the full gamut of corporate and commercial matters, leverages his expertise to advise clients in the renewable energy, software, insurance and agriculture sectors. Martin Walsh, who previously worked for an international firm in London, has a strong track record in cross-border transactions. 'Personable and responsive' Euan McLaughlin specialises in commercial contracts and data protection. Former practice head Andrew Payne retired in May 2020.
‘The team is very responsive and provides excellent customer service.’
‘Euan is relentless, has an eye for detail and can help with strategic planning as well as the legal issues which need to be addressed.’
G H Sutton Limited
Omex Agriculture Limited
The Burdens Group
EPS Logistics Technology Limited
Hemswell Estates Limited
Lincolnshire Football Association
Ballet Makers Europe Limited
SHD Composite Materials Limited
Turnbull & Co Limited
Lincoln College Group
Sleeping Disorders Centre Group
GH Byproducts (Derby) Limited
- Advised an individual who is a tax resident outside of the UK on the sale of their shareholding in The Abbotshurst Group for circa £8m.
- Advised SHD Group in relation to negotiating and completing a major multi-million pound supply contract in the automobile industry.
- Advised Sleeping Disorders Centre Group on the negotiation of high value contracts with NHS Trusts.
Following its acquisition of Spearing Waite in 2018, Knights plc expanded its presence in the East Midlands with the acquisition of Nottingham based firm Fraser Brown in February 2020. Corporate finance specialist Martin Smith advises domestic and international clients on M&A, PE and VC investments, restructuring processes and corporate governance. Ian Thomson advises clients on commercial contracts, data protection, trading law and competition law.
Other key lawyers:
Langleys Solicitors LLP
Based in Lincoln, Langleys Solicitors LLP's team predominantly advises clients on sales and acquisitions, with a particular emphasis on the manufacturing, engineering and IT sectors. 'Excellent' associate Luke Rees, who leads the team, focuses primarily on advising SMEs in the region on corporate transactions, including M&A and investment deals.
‘Luke Rees is excellent, efficient and most importantly very human. He put us at ease at all times and we felt confident in his ability. We were delighted and impressed with the service he offered us.’
‘Luke Rees is one of the most outstanding M&A lawyers I have ever come across. His ability to interact with the buy side is particularly impressive.’
AS Metals Limited
Priory Federation of Academies
- Advised technology start-up Iventis on the terms of an investment deal with a regional development fund to secure funding for ambitious growth plans.
- Advised ASC Metals in connection with the sale of a division of the business to its management team
Focusing primarily on agriculture, technology, energy, logistics and construction, Roythornes Solicitors tends to advise regional and multi-national clients on commercial agreements, investments, M&A and restructuring. Martin Jinks handles commercial and corporate matters, including critical outsourcing arrangements and contracts underpinning large-scale automation projects. Julia Seary has a strong track record advising on corporate governance and regulatory compliance, particularly in relation to data privacy. Corporate lawyers Mike Matthews and Lizzie Walters joined the firm's partner roster in 2019.
‘The practice has a very good and longstanding connection with its clients which is clear from its involvement in multiple M&A transactions.’
Frontier Agriculture Ltd
Beeswax Dyson Farming Ltd
Majestic Bingo Limited
- Advised Beeswax Dyson Farming on various projects throughout the Beeswax estate, including Nocton AD plant extensions and Hinton Cattle Shed.
- Advised the management team of Majestic Bingo in relation to the management buy-out of Majestic Bingo Limited and Majestic Bingo Online Limited, for cash and share consideration and the issue of loan notes.
- Advised the co-founders of Biocow Ltd on the sale of a majority stake to Macquarie Capital Principal Finance, involving an initial group restructuring prior to the sale, complex finance structuring and joint venture arrangements.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP's practice, which is spread between the Lincoln and Grimsby offices, is best known for advising SMEs, owner-managed businesses and family-owned businesses on sales and acquisitions, refinancings and restructurings. Russell Eke, who is based in Lincoln, has notable expertise in renewable energy developments, including anaerobic digestion and compressed natural gas projects. Ian Sherburn heads up the firm's Grimsby practice, where he handles corporate transactions, focusing primarily on the petrochemical, retail and manufacturing industries.
‘Always available and quick to respond with great breadth of knowledge to cover a wide variety of topics.’
‘Quick to learn and understand the situation and great at giving straight practical advise whilst letting you understand the issues and options available.’
YPP Group Limited
Unitas Wholesale Limited
CNG Fuels Limited
Total UK Limited
Mizkan Euro Limited
Yara UK Limited
Fastnet Fish Limited
D.B. Ramsden & Company Limited
Healing Multi Academy Trust
Tollbar Multi Academy Trust
- Advised Fast-Form Systems on securing an investment from Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund in return for granting them an equity stake in the company.
- Advised Your Print Partner Limited on securing an investment from Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund in exchange for an equity stake in the company.
Wilson Browne Solicitors
Wilson Browne Solicitors merged with Friday Legal Solicitors in April 2019, which resulted in partner Duncan Crowther, consultant Douglas Iles and solicitor Jessica Hooley all joining the existing team in Northampton, significantly boosting its commercial offering. Andrew Kerr's expertise includes M&A, corporate reorganisations, management buy-outs and corporate finance. Duncan Crowther stands out for his strength in shareholder arrangements, commercial contracts and IP protection.
‘The firm is able to offer the services a top ten firm can offer, but with the benefits of a local firm, such as one to one contact and service.’
‘The team has a real desire to get deals over the line, while ensuring the best possible outcome for the client.’
National Education Union
Global Processing Services Limited
Dodson & Horrell Limited
Phoenix Fragrances Limited
The Gateway Group of Companies Limited
OCM Wealth Management Limited
Total Computers Networks Limited
Walls and Floors Limited
Sweetstable Group Limited
Mawsley Machinery Limited
County Lifting Services Limited
Cooney Marine International Limited
Performance Finance Limited
Prestige and Homeseeker Park & Leisure Homes Limited
Logi-tek (UK) Limited
DBS Leoch Limited
EB Designs Limited
Midland Stone Centre Limited
Personal Track Safety Limited
Acres Insurance Brokers Limited
Essential Safety Limited
Sunseeker Holiday Homes Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Walls and Floors Limited (Richard Greenbank, Duncan Lewin and Leslie Green) on the sale of their shareholdings to the Tile Mountain Group of Companies, making it the largest privately-owned retailer of its kind in the UK.
- Advised the shareholders of Mawsley Machinery Limited (Jane Sheldon, Ian Wright and Keith Pearce) on the sale of their shareholdings to the Manitou Group of Companies, the French telehandler manufacturer.
- Advised the shareholders of Stamford Veterinary Centre (Mike Thorne and others) on the sale of their shareholdings to a large, nationwide, operator of veterinary practices.