BHW Solicitors fields a 10-strong team of corporate and commercial lawyers, distinguished in the Leicester market for their specialist expertise in the aerospace, manufacturing and insurance sectors. Offering full-service M&A capabilities, the group has been increasingly busy on restructuring, commercial contracts and supply chain solution mandates. Practice head Ed Nurse and Matt Worsnop worked together with the principal shareholder of Staircraft Limited in the sale of the company, via its holding company P. H. Properties Ltd, to Travis Perkins Group. Stephen McElhone and Alex Clifton are among the other key figures.
Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands in East Midlands
Other key lawyers:
Matt Worsnop; Stephen McElhone; Alex Clifton
‘BHW are our first choice recommendation for nationwide for corporate and commercial M&A transactions. BHW employ expert lawyers who are always friendly, enthusiastic and easy to get on with, a major strength against competitor firms. They are excellent communicators and very good at appraising and understanding the customer brief, simplifying the legal processes, and delivering on realistic targets.’
‘Matt Worsnop and his team are astute and extremely good at understanding the things that are important to each individual client, in addition to identifying and highlighting factors that the client may not have considered. Their service is personable, pro-active and responsive. Matt is a great person to work with, he is realistic on timescales and builds expectation in-line with reality, whilst being a committed and strong communicator.’
‘Ed Nurse has the ability to offer constructive and commercial challenges to ideas presented to him by clients and professional advisers. To be able to provide advice in very clear, unambiguous terms.’
‘Stephen McElhone has been amazing in making sure my deal/deals keep moving along and has been very prompt in ensuring that all of the work that needed to be done is done in a timely manner.’
Correlation Investments Limited
Lavendon Group Limited
Gardner Group Limited
Oadby Plastics Limited
BPX Group Limited
NatWest Bank Plc
Nationwide Platforms Limited
Animal Friends Insurance Services Limited
HSBC Bank Plc
KCT Holdings Limited
Quartz Holdings Limited
Creative Software Solutions (Europe) Limited
Verdon Timber Group Limited
Marks Electrical Limited
Colson Castors Limited
Staircraft Group Limited
Evergreens (UK) Limited
Delta Global Source Holdings Limited
Red Sands Insurance Company (Europe) Limited
AutoProtect Group Limited
Beowulf Mining Plc
Meet & Engage Limited
The Engineering Technology Group Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Apption Labs Limited on their sale of the company to US barbecue manufacturer, Traeger Pellet Grills.
- Advised the shareholders of Cildarn Limited on the sale of the company to Graco Roberts, a large US supplier in the same industry.
- Acted for the principal shareholders of Seaton Partners Limited (consulting firm specialising in ‘Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Applications) in respect of the sale of the company to Ernst & Young.
Following its merger with Harrison Clark Rickerbys in spring 2021, HCR Hewitsons proves full service advisory in company formations, corporate and commercial transactions, acquisition and disposals and corporate restructuring. David Browne and Anne-Sophie Reynolds are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Howes Percival LLP
Howes Percival LLP continues to invest and grow its corporate and commercial practice, recruiting Leicester-based Paula Dumbill from Browne Jacobson LLP in June 2021 to head its commercial practice. Matthew Thompson was also promoted to lead its Northampton corporate team and the team has also added a number of senior associates to further bolster its bench strength in M&A, commercial contracts and technology. Other key sectors include automotive, food and drink, healthcare and manufacturing. Jahid Ali heads the corporate department, specialising in venture capital and private equity transactions while Oliver Brookshaw is experienced in public company work. Gerald Couldrake is another key Northampton-based partner.
Jahid Ali; Matt Thompson; Paula Dumbill
Other key lawyers:
Oliver Brookshaw; Gerald Couldrake
‘The team has strengthened further in the year and now offers additional strength in depth, with 3 senior associates supporting their partner team. One of the strongest teams in the Leicester market and operating across a breadth of lower-mid and mid-market deals.’
‘Jahid Ali is highly responsive, thoughtful and engaged with his clients and the local market.’
Randall Parker Food Group Limited
Carbon Component Solutions Limited
Frem Group Limited
C.Brewer & Sons Limited
Euro Food Brands Limited
Shareholders of Technical Foam Services
Agar Dry Mortar Holdings
Mulberry Property Developments
Longwall Venture Partners
Eurokey Recycling Limited
Innovate Recycling Limited
Leicestershire County Cricket Club
Office Depot Europe
- Acting for the shareholders of Randal Parker Foods Limited on the multi-million pound sale of the business to Pilgrims Pride.
- Acting for the shareholders of Eurokey Recycling Limited on the sale of the company to the PE backed Reconomy group.
- Advisors to Euro Food Brands Limited, a major food and drink distributor on a range of complex commercial contracts, including cross border advice.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP
Shakespeare Martineau LLP is a reputable East Midlands corporate and M&A practice, handling sales, acquisitions and reorganisations with values of up to £100m. Roy Botterill leads the Leicester team which is known for its expertise servicing corporate and family business clients in the healthcare, engineering, manufacturing and IT space; he is an experienced counsel for US based organisations and has a keen interest in the manufacturing sector, regulated industries and financial services. Lisa Botterill is recommended for healthcare transactions while Michael Squirrell, based at the new Lincoln office, works with the Nottingham and Leicester teams to advise on M&A, reorganisations, investments and governance matters, often on behalf of IP-rich businesses and charities.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Squirrell; Lisa Botterill
Co-Fresh Snack Foods
Shield Engineering Group
HGS (Leicester) Limited
Cambridge Weight Plan
- Advised Rotherwood Group on the acquisition of Kington Court Community Care Centre based in Herefordshire.
- Advised on the sale of UK-based tech firm Insignia Medical Systems to global medical imaging business Intelerad.
- Acted for HGS on the acquisition of four petrol stations from Euro Garages, following the requirement for Euro Garages to divest themselves of a number of sites for competition purposes.
Chattertons continues to rapidly expand its corporate department with the arrival of partners Karl Taylor, from Michelmores LLP, and Matt Fowler who joined from Roythornes Solicitors. At the more junior end, Ketan Mistry and Georgia Bradley are also new names, arriving from Knights plc and Patterson Law respectively. Led by Adam Gilbert, the department handles corporate transactions, including M&A, MBO, disposals and restructuring. James Dent departed to BHW Solicitors.
Other key lawyers:
Karl Taylor; Matt Fowler; Ketan Mistry; Georgia Bradley
‘I’ve worked together with Chattertons Corporate team many times, they offer a great service and at a reasonable and fair price.’
‘The Head of Corporate Adam Gilbert is very knowledgeable and experienced in a wide range of areas.’
‘We have worked on a number of company sales and MBO’s and restructures, Adam Gilbert is the number 1 pick in the region to work with.’
Larkfleet Group Limited
Prominent Fluid Controls UK Limited
Anemoi Marine Technologies Limited
Simpatica Group Limited
Abzorb Systems Limited
K-Tech Suspension Limited
ACT National Limited
- Advised the shareholders of the SW Cars Group in their sale of SW Cars to Big Motoring World.
- Advising on the sale of UK Piers Limited and Skegness Piers Limited to the Mellors Group.
- Advising the shareholders of Serious Waste Management Limited to a management buy-out team,
In December 2021, Freeths LLP became the first standalone legal practice in Europe to join the Baker Tilly International network as an independent firm. Leveraging access to global network of over 150 countries, and a boost to its resources, skills and international profile, the corporate practice continues to hold a strong presence in Leicester advising large corporates, PLCs and private equity houses. Phil Baigent has a keen interest in corporate matters pertaining to the food and drink and private healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Advance Healthcare UK Limited
Anchor Hanover Group
BMI Healthcare Limited
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company Limited
Carlsberg UK Limited
Clydesdale Bank plc
Countrywide Care Homes
Frankham Bros Group Limited
Harrison Castings Limited
Integrated Doorset Solutions Limited
Lloyds Bank plc
Maria Mallaband Care Group Limited
MCR Systems Limited
Motor Parts Direct Limited
OEM – Automatic Limited
Regen Holdings Limited/Whites Recycling Limited
Sandstone Care Group
Santander UK plc
Sofidel UK Limited
Svenska Handelsbanken AB publ
Travis Perkins plc
- Advised Whites Generation Limited on the sale of the issued share capital of Fernbrook Bio Limited to Generate UK AD I Limited. Whites Generation Limited is a joint venture vehicle owned by Regen Holdings Limited and ACP Ordinary Shareco Limited.
- Advised TGCC Limited/the Warren family on the acquisition of the share capital of Complete Ground Management Limited.
- Acted for Sandstone Care Group on its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Future Care Services (UK) Limited which owns and operates a 74-bed care home in Wavertree, Liverpool offering a mix of residential, dementia and early onset dementia care across three floors.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited
Chris Rees heads Nelsons Solicitors Limited‘s Leicester corporate practice where he leverages 21 years transactional experience supporting buyers, sellers, banks, investors, SMEs and corporates in all facets of company law and corporate finance. Harpreet Sandhu, who operates between Nottingham and Leicester, heads the commercial offering; advising on commercial agreements and technology-led projects. Senior associate Ziaur Rahman has a niche in advising on corporate charity and third sector matters, management buy-outs and specialist partnership agreements.
Chris Rees; Harpreet Sandhu
Other key lawyers:
‘Definitely the best corporate and commercial team in the East Midlands.’
‘I would virtually consider Ziaur Rahman as part of our team, he is always available if required and is very much focussed on solving clients issues in a simple and straight forward manner.’
Prime Life Limited
Nucleus Commercial Finance Limited
Nucleus Property Finance Limited
Nucleus Cash Flow Finance Limited
Nucleus Business Cash Advance Limited
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
4Syte Structured Finance Limited
Sills & Betteridge LLP
Sills & Betteridge LLP maintains a prominent track record in corporate transactions, investments and group restructures, often acting on cross-border deals, and particularly in the agri-business, energy, gaming, healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Based in Lincoln but serving all offices, James Conduit provides ‘excellent support and appraisal; his practice focuses on all areas of corporate law with a keen interest in on commercial agreements involving intellectual property, software development, and mandates involving the digital and regulated industries.
‘Sills and Betteridge LLP have looked after our commercial legal needs for a number of years. They have developed a strong understanding of the business, and been proactive in a number of areas supporting the growth of our business. Most importantly for us, dealing in ‘plain English’ and avoiding the challenge those not trained in legal language face in reading complex legal documents.’
‘The partners we work with at Sills & Betteridge have been excellent. They are approachable and have proven to be very responsive to our needs with excellent communication.’
‘James Conduit, partner, always available to deal with problems when needed, giving excellent support and appraisal of our problems.’
Active8 Managed Technologies Limited
Ballet Makers Europe Limited
Battle Hayward and Bower Limited
Boleyn Containers Leasing Services Limited
Chandlers (Farm Machinery) Limited
Clydesdale Bank PLC
EPS Logistics Technology Limited
Hemswell Estates Limited
Lincoln College Group
Lincolnshire Football Association
NerG Ltd/ NERG Holdings Ltd
Omex Agriculture Limited
Sleeping Disorders Centre Group
The Burdens Group
Turnbull & Co Limited
- Advised the shareholders on their sale of Tag Security Holdings Limited in a private equity backed transaction involving cross jurisdictional subsidiary companies in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and Canada.
- Advised A8MT Holdings Limited on its purchase of Leeds based managed technologies company Ridings Reprographics Limited.
- Advised the members of local property agent heavyweight JHWalter LLP in its merger with national and international agents Brown & Co.
Roythornes Solicitors‘ corporate and commercial team act for a diverse client base of start-up businesses, established family-owned enterprises and public companies. Mike Matthews is the key figure for M&A transactions, including as trade sales, private equity sales and management buy-outs/buy-ins. On the corporate side, Lizzie Walters specialises in demergers, investment rounds, joint ventures and group reorganisations. Martin Jinks heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Mike Matthews; Lizzie Walters
‘I have used Roythornes services over the last 30 years, and they have never failed to be able to provide the particular strengths and capabilities needed, no matter what the problem might be.’
‘The Roythornes team handled a sale with user-friendly practical advice and great client support. They demonstrated they have the experience to deal with complex corporate transactions and offered excellent value for money.’
‘Mike Matthews (corporate partner) is a star performer : great at grasping situations, finding solutions and managing clients (and other lawyers!). ‘
‘Lizzie Walters – excellent at pulling together the final position and detail Always available at the key moments both for myself as a fellow adviser and also for the client.’
Sakata UK Limited
Sakata Vegetables (European)
Majestic Bingo Limited
FESA UK Limited
Frontier Agriculture Limited
Ceres Rural LLP
TC Bulley Davey Limited
BA Bush & Son Limited
Peterborough Renewable Energy Limited
Pigeon Investment Management Limited
Inivos Scientific Limited
Specialist Health Solutions Limited and group companies
Lawrence David Limited
- Advising Frontier Agriculture Limited in the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Yagro Limited.
- Acting in the demerger of a farming company with an asset value of £9.5m.
- Advising a large property developer in respect of a c£20m refinancing exercise.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Russell Eke at Wilkin Chapman LLP‘s Lincoln office has an established reputation for transactions related to renewable energy projects, particularly anaerobic digestion and compressed natural gas projects; he is also recommended for corporate reorganisations, management buy-outs and commercial agreements.
‘The team are very friendly and helpful as well as being excellent lawyers. ‘
‘A very knowledgeable broad team that don’t use jargon. They have supported me in both business and private matters over the last 20years. Individuals seem to be empowered to make decisions and support customers well.’
Unitas Wholesale Limited
CNG Fuels Limited
Prax Group (including Prax Lindsey Oil Refinery Limited, State Oil Limited and Prax Petroleum Limited)
Mizkan Euro Limited
Yara UK Limited
Fastnet Fish limited
D.B. Ramsden & Company Limited
Lincolnshire Co-Operative Limited
Lincoln City Football Club
Leger Education Trust
GHA Investment Limited
Couplands Caravans Limited
Brayford Leisure Limited
Lincoln Science and Innovation Park Limited
Mortons Media Group Limited
- Advising Prax Group (including State Oil Limited and Prax Lindsey Oil Refinery Limited) in respect of various high value, complex and long-term commercial agreements for use in the petrochemical and oil refining industry.
- Worked on the group re-structure of GHA Investments Limited, Couplands Caravans Limited and Brayford Leisure Limited as a result of management buy-out via investment company which included a two stage overall transaction (being share for share exchange followed by share purchase) and secured deal funding and deferred consideration.
- Advising Leger Education Trust (a large multi-academy trust) in respect of the conversion of a maintained school into the academy trust utilising specialist sector knowledge to ensure effective solutions to manage risk for the client.
Wilson Browne Solicitors
The ‘technically excellent‘ team at Wilson Browne Solicitors works across six offices in Northamptonshire and Leicestershire and offers expertise in M&A, management buy-outs, charity incorporations and restructuring. Andrew Kerr in Northampton and Duncan Crowther in Corby are its lead partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘They work together as a cohesive team and provide practical and helpful support. Technically excellent.’
‘Duncan Crowther – he answers even the most complex company law questions with ease and knowledge. He provides the best advice to clients and prospective clients.’
‘Andrew Kerr is a very commercial lawyer who finds practical solutions. ‘
National Education Union
Global Processing Services Limited
Dodson & Horrell Limited
Phoenix Fragrances Limited
The Gateway Group of Companies Limited
OCM Wealth Management Limited
Total Computers Networks Limited
Sweetstable Group Limited
C Butt Limited
George J Cox Limited
AES Control Systems Limited
Cooney Marine International Limited
Performance Finance Limited
Prestige and Homeseeker Park & Leisure Homes Limited
DC Battery Technology Limited
Pragmatiq Solutions Limited
The Yaboo Company Limited
EB Designs Limited
Global Health Tests Limited
247 Nutritionist Limited
Innocean Worldwide UK Limited
New Chapter Villages Limited
Essential Safety Limited
Grove Engineering Services Limited
Sunseeker Holiday Homes Limited
Concept Conversions Limited
- Ongoing commercial legal advice to EB Designs, including advice and negotiation relating to multi-million pound contractual arrangements with internationally recognised high street brands for the provision of retail space design and build services.
- Ongoing legal advice to Festo, a world market leading supplier of automation systems and services surrounding pneumatic and electrical control and drive technology.
- Ongoing legal advice to Phoenix Fragrances, including complex corporate restructuring and intellectual property protection and registration.