Jeffrey Appelbaum > Thompson Hine LLP > Cleveland, United States > Lawyer Profile
Thompson Hine LLP Offices
3900 KEY CENTER, 127 PUBLIC SQUARE
CLEVELAND, OH 44114-1291
- Go to...
For 40 years, Jeff has served the construction industry in the varying roles of trial and transactional attorney, project counsel, project management consultant, mediator and partnering facilitator. Jeff has provided distinguished service to public and private owners, design professionals, construction managers and contractors on important projects throughout the United States and Canada. He has served as project counsel or owner’s representative for more than 100 projects involving billions of dollars of construction, including in excess of 30 major league sports facilities and other community impact projects throughout North America. He has facilitated over 300 complex partnering sessions and conducted more than 300 complex construction mediations. In 2008-09, Jeff was appointed by the Governor of Ohio to serve as facilitator for the Ohio Construction Reform Panel and more recently was involved in creating the final legislation that became effective in January 2012 and dramatically modified public procurement in Ohio. In 2011, The Legal 500 rated Jeff as one of the 23 leading construction lawyers in the United States, and in 2020 he received recognition as one of the top 10 lawyers by The Legal 500 Hall of Fame for Construction. In 2012 Jeff became one of only six “Star” rated construction lawyers in the Chambers USA national rankings. Also in 2012, Jeff became the first lawyer inducted into the Cleveland Engineering Society Hall of Fame. Jeff also formed, and serves as Managing Director of, Project Management Consultants LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Thompson Hine that provides ancillary construction project support services throughout Ohio and North America.
Cornell University Law School, J.D., 1977, cum laude
Cornell University, B.A., 1974, with distinction
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Cleveland-based group chairman Jeffrey Appelbaum leads the ‘customer-oriented‘ construction practice at Thompson Hine LLP, which has ‘true team players‘ and ‘professional and diligent‘ attorneys among its ranks. Appelbaum assists public or private entities, construction managers and contractors on large-scale developments, particularly in the sports and entertainment sectors; he currently acts as counsel to TKFC LC, the ownership group of a new 22,000-seater St Louis soccer stadium. Also in Cleveland, Alan Ritchie and Patrick Sweeney offer ‘top-notch day-to-day support‘ in transactional matters, ranging from the negotiation of construction agreements to the creation of project insurance programs. ‘First-rate‘ associate William Thrush can ‘render advice of counsel in short order‘ and further excels in dispute situations from mediation through to trial, while the ‘very knowledgeable‘ Erin Luke ‘even provided training‘ to clients during her role as project counsel on certain multi-million dollar infrastructure builds.
- Hall of Fame - United States > Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Leading lawyers - United States > Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Construction (including construction litigation) - United States > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Government > Government contracts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - litigation and regulation
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Investment funds > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate