Patrick J. Sweeney > Thompson Hine LLP > Cleveland, United States > Lawyer Profile
Thompson Hine LLP Offices
3900 KEY CENTER, 127 PUBLIC SQUARE
CLEVELAND, OH 44114-1291
- Go to...
Patrick J. Sweeney
Pat is a partner in the firm’s Construction and Real Estate practice groups. His transactional construction practice includes the negotiation and preparation of construction and design professional agreements along with counseling clients on project management and risk control on a variety of large projects, such as regional shopping malls, industrial projects, offices, hotels, convention centers and major sports venues such as MLB parks, NFL stadia, NBA arenas and NHL arenas. He has represented owners, contractors, architects and engineers. A significant portion of his practice also involves commercial real estate development, including acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1986
- College of Wooster, B.A., 1980
‘A stand out firm in construction‘, Thompson Hine LLP has ‘in-depth knowledge of construction contracting coupled with understanding of the business of construction‘. The Ohio-based practice is led by Jeffrey R. Appelbaum, who has extensive experience advising clients in the construction industry, acting as trial and transactional attorney, project counsel, project management consultant and mediator. One of his and the wider practice’s specialisms is in stadium construction, frequently involving significant mixed-use elements and significant community impact. ‘Really strong negotiator‘ Alan Ritchie is particularly well-versed in PPP projects, having been developer/sponsor counsel on Ohio’s first transportation and infrastructure projects of this kind. Patrick J. Sweeney negotiates construction and design agreements and gives project management advice and risk counseling on a variety of projects, and the firm also has a wholly owned subsidiary Project Management Consultants (PMC) that assists lawyers with owner’s representation, project management, partnering facilitation and financing structures to projects. An up-and-coming name is Erin Luke, who assists with contracts work as well as project delivery and structuring, and managing associate Jack Clark also stands out.
Thompson Hine LLP is recognized for its construction law expertise, as it provides legal and consulting services for the design, development and construction of professional sports facilities. The practice has been involved in numerous construction projects for mixed-used development and sports arenas, primarily working on behalf of sports teams and owners. Jeffrey R. Appelbaum leads the team, often serving as project counsel, owner’s representative, partnering facilitator or insurance and risk consultant. Also featured in the team are Alan Ritchie and Patrick J. Sweeney, with combined experience working on community impact projects and transactions involving sports owners. All named lawyers are based in Cleveland.
- Construction (including construction litigation) - United States > Real estate
- Sport - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Government > Government contracts
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - litigation and regulation
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense