Jon Breyfogle > Groom Law Group, Chartered > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Groom Law Group, Chartered Offices
1701 PENNSYLVANIA AVE, NW
WASHINGTON DC 20006
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Go to...
An expert on ERISA’s fiduciary rules and government regulation of health insurance, including the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Jon Breyfogle counsels numerous financial services firms, health insurers, and their D.C.-based trade associations on retirement and health matters. His practice includes advice on regulatory and legislative strategies, compliance, and defense of federal and state investigations. Jon has testified before Congress and at Department of Labor hearings on both retirement and health issues.
Jon frequently represents clients in front of the Department of Labor, seeking and obtaining a variety of advisory opinions, information letters, and prohibited transaction exemptions. He regularly counsels large employers, supporting plan investment and administrative committees by providing fiduciary training, fee and expense analyses, reviews of plan governance and administrative practices, and assistance regarding frozen or eliminated company stock funds. As part of his ERISA practice, he counsels financial services firms on retirement and health matters, including most recently the Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule.
As part of his health practice, Jon represents a number of the nation’s largest health insurers and their trade associations on ACA and other federal and state laws that regulate health insurance. He regularly engages in advocacy on behalf of the firm’s clients before Congress and the Departments of Health and Human Services, Labor, and Treasury. Some recent matters include:
- Advocacy on implementing regulations and other subregulatory guidance relating to ACA’s medical loss ratio rule, insurance market reforms, premium stabilization programs, Exchange regulations, contracts between HHS and issuers of qualified health plans, and the application of the ACA’s Section 1557 non-discrimination rule to health insurers and their products.
- Defending government investigations of insurers and employers relating to the ACA, federal mental health parity, ERISA and state insurance law.
- Overseeing comprehensive audits of health insurers and their compliance with the ACA and other federal insurance laws.
Prior to joining Groom, Jon served in political and civil service positions at the Office of Management and Budget, Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation, and the Department of Labor.
- Senior Legislative Officer, Department of Labor’s Office of Congressional Affairs (1989-1992)
- Special Assistant to the Executive Director, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (1987-1989)
- Policy Analyst, Office of Management and Budget (1985-1987)
- Board of Directors, American Benefits Counsel
United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design(Hall of Fame)
Washington DC-based boutique firm Groom Law Group, Chartered’s experienced team handles the provision of the full spectrum of benefits, health and retirement matters, advising a range of plan sponsors on plan design, compliance and addressing new legal developments, alongside providing counsel to a number of financial institutions that provide products and services in the benefits area. Standout partner David Levine advises an array of clients on employee benefits matters, including both retirement and executive compensation to health and welfare plan matters, while Jon Breyfogle is experienced in fiduciary and health matters. Jennifer Eller advises large corporate and public plan sponsors on all aspects of ERISA fiduciary compliance, and Brigen Winters counsels a range of clients on a variety of matters, with a notable legislative focus. Michael Kreps has expertise in benefit plan recordkeeping and the development of financial and insurance products. Daniel Hogans advises clients on a wide range of employee benefits and executive compensation matters, with Christine Keller focusing on the administration of welfare benefit plans, cafeteria plans, health savings accounts, and other employee benefit arrangements. Bolstering the team is Mark Lofgren, who specializes in the handling of tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plan arrangements.
In the healthcare insurer space, Groom Law Group, Chartered stands out for its focus on providing expert regulatory advice, advising its clients on all aspects of federal and state regulations concerning healthcare delivery services and insurers. In particular, the firm regularly advises major health insurance companies on Medicare coverage rules, HIPAA privacy requirements, and insurer responsibilities under the Mental Health Parity Act. Additionally, 2022 has seen the firm advising employers, insurers, and health plan administrators on the full range of legal implications arising from federal and state law changes in the wake of the Dobbs decision. Jointly led by Jon Breyfogle and Lisa Campbell, who both have significant government experience, the team is based in Washington DC. They are supported by ACA specialists Seth Perretta and Ryan Temme, whose work focuses on the requirements of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, as well as ACA compliance.
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design United States > Labor and employment
- Hall of Fame United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Health insurers United States > Healthcare