Firm Profile > Groom Law Group, Chartered > Washington DC, United States
Groom Law Group, Chartered Offices
1701 PENNSYLVANIA AVE, NW
WASHINGTON DC 20006
Groom Law Group, Chartered > The Legal 500 Rankings
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 1
Being the 'premier' benefits boutique in the US, Groom Law Group enjoys a solid reputation across the full spectrum of services for plan sponsors, healthcare service providers and pension plan investment platforms. Jon Breyfogle and Allison Ullman are stand-out names for developing wellness and healthcare plan solutions, while Daniel Hogans, Jeffrey Kroh, Louis Mazawey and J. Rose Zaklad lead the way on implementing tax-advantageous executive compensation plans. Brigen Winters recently worked on a high-stakes redesign of a distressed defined benefit plan, and on this note, professionals such as Jennifer Eller, David Levine, Mark Lofgren and Elizabeth Dold routinely cover innovative de-risking strategies and the associated IRS or PBCG compliance issues. Title 1 issues pertaining to 401(k) investment services are regularly handled by Stephen Saxon. As a go-to firm for providing policy advice to lawmakers, clients of the firm can take advantage of cutting-edge knowledge of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, changes to the IRS determination letter program, and developments with the Affordable Care Act. The firm is based in Washington DC.
Stephen Saxon; Seth Perretta; Jon Breyfogle; Brigen Winters; Jennifer Eller
Other key lawyers:
‘Groom Law Group is the premier law firm for ERISA matters. The bench strength is deep and the knowledge shared among the firm is only to the benefit of their clients. I have deep respect for the knowledge, team approach and ability to provide a consistently excellent service.‘
‘Jeff Witt is outstanding. He partners with me and my team in order to provide clear and timely information and strong support. If he doesn’t know the answer, he is transparent and finds a resource within Groom Law Group to assist us. He follows up on matters or even routine questions that we’ve raised to ensure that we’re in a good position and have what we need to make our decisions. I value his ethics and abilities.‘
American Benefits Council
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
As the most comprehensive benefits boutique in the US, Groom Law Group has an expansive ERISA litigation team available to its client roster of plan sponsors, retirement funds and service providers. Michael Prame, Sarah Adams and practice head Lars Golumbic defend high-value class actions concerning breach of fiduciary and 401(k) fee litigation, claims involving executive compensation plans (including rabbi trusts and top-hat plans), contested plan terminations brought by the PBGC, and also cover withdrawal liability litigation. Adams also brings experience in church plan litigation, while class actions arising from ESOP investigations brought by the DOL are another strong point for Golumbic. The firm has an expansive health plan litigation offering through Mark Nielsen, who regularly acts on benefits disputes under the Americans with Disability Act. The firm is based in Washington DC.
‘Best in class ESOP litigation practice with real experience of victories in litigation and unmatched familiarity with Labor Department.‘
‘Lars Golumbic is the top ESOP litigator in the country.‘
Wilmington Trust, N.A.
Principal Financial Group
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
Bankers Trust Company
Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan
Zander Group Holdings
Franciscan Alliance, Inc.
Stout Risius Ross
The Segal Company and Segal Advisors, Inc.
Supplemental Benefit Committee of the Navistar International Transportation Corp. Retiree Supplemental Benefit Program
GreatBanc Trust Company
Adventist Health System
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
Matson Navigation Company, Inc.
New York State Teamsters Conference Pension and Retirement Fund
Catholic Health Initiatives
Greystar Management Services
McBride & Son Homes, Inc.
Procter & Gamble
Areas of expertise at Groom Law Group include federal and state healthcare reform laws under the ACA, tax rules that impact the provision of health benefits, state health insurance laws, federal audits, and investigations of health insurers and employers. Practice heads Seth Perretta and Jon Breyfogle advise insurers on aspects of the ACA such as health reform legislative activity. Lisa Campbell has extensive experience in the implementation of ACA market reform enforcement. Ryan Temme was promoted to partner in January 2020. The practice is based in Washington DC.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional Tier 4
Despite lacking an in-house corporate vertical, benefits boutique Groom Law Group advises on the employee benefits elements of a range of transactions, including company divestitures, spin-offs and de-risking exercises for defined benefit plans – with Mark Lofgren being a key contact for the latter. The team has significant expertise when advising ERISA plan fiduciaries on their Title 1 obligations for high-value investments in private equity, hedge funds and funds of funds vehicles, while Jon Breyfogle also assists plan sponsors with the closure of employer stock funds. The firm is based in Washington DC.
Other key lawyers:
American Benefits Council
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Ohio Public Employees
Groom Law Group, Chartered > Firm Profile
Groom Law Group has been at the forefront of developments in the nation’s benefits, health, and retirement laws since Congress passed ERISA in 1974, drawing many of its attorneys from the federal agencies that regulate employee benefits and forging strong ties with key players in all three branches of government.
With more than 80 attorneys dedicated to the employee benefits practice, Groom offers clients unparalleled coverage of issues and disputes arising from ERISA, the Tax Code, securities laws, ACA, HIPAA, COBRA, ADEA, and the many other laws that govern employee benefits. Working collaboratively across practice groups, Groom’s attorneys build upon their diverse backgrounds to share a common understanding of benefits, health, and retirement law that enables them to integrate their efforts across areas of specialization to produce the best results for their clients. The firm prides itself on offering state-of-the-art advice on best practices and emerging trends in employee benefits to a diverse group of clients across the country. Groom emphasizes a team approach to clients that assures responsive and efficient service.
Main areas of practice
Employers: Groom offers practical experience and thoughtful advice for employers of all sizes across a diverse range of industries to assist with workplace and personnel issues, benefit design, plan funding and restructuring, executive compensation arrangements, litigation, advocacy, and more.
- Retirement Plans: Groom’s expertise includes a broad range of retirement & pension plans, such as 401(k) plans, 403(b) plans, defined benefit & cash balance plans, IRAs, & ESOPs.
- Executive Compensation: We assist clients with the design, funding, and administration of plans that are advantageous to executives and comply with government regulation.
- Fiduciary & Plan Governance: Our attorneys helped shape most major administrative initiatives related to ERISA fiduciary responsibility provisions—plan governance is our second nature.
- Health & Welfare Benefits: Groom attorneys provide expert advice on benefits financing, contract negotiations, fiduciary issues, plan design and drafting, fringe benefits, and more.
Health services: In an evolving landscape, Groom attorneys provide sound counsel across an array of health and welfare matters, including advocacy and litigation, to expertly guide managed care organizations, insurance companies, trade associations, specialized health service companies, and others.
- Federal Insurance Regulation: Groom advises the largest insurance companies, managed care organizations, and health care service providers on federal programs and insurance regulation.
- State Insurance Regulation: Groom is uniquely positioned to help our clients understand state insurance law issues, especially given the growing body of overlapping federal laws.
- Privacy & Security: Groom helps health plans, insurers, & service providers navigate privacy and security rules, including electronic recordkeeping, disclosures, & data sharing.
- ERISA: Our attorneys’ deep knowledge of ERISA allows us to provide best-in-class counsel on the myriad of ERISA matters that can arise when designing and administering health related products and services.
Retirement services: Groom attorneys are widely recognized for their forward-thinking work in representing retirement plan sponsors and financial institutions, as well as complex litigation matters involving plan service providers, rabbi trusts and other executive compensation arrangements.
- Financial Institutions & Advisers: We assist financial institutions and advisers with regard to the design and delivery of products and services in the retirement plan marketplace.
- Investment of Plan Assets: Groom attorneys combine the right tools, resources, and comprehensive experience to tactfully advise clients on their most important plan investment projects.
- Plan Services & Providers: Plan service providers rely on Groom for assistance with issues arising under ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, and other applicable state and federal laws.
- IRAs/HSAs: Our decades-long focus on health and retirement plans uniquely positions us to assist our clients in the development, marketing, and management of IRAs and HSAs.
Litigation: From complex class actions to federal agency investigations, Groom’s nationally recognized litigators use skill, toughness, and creativity to win successful outcomes for clients.
- Plan Sponsor Litigation: Our litigation team applies skill and creativity to shape processes and generate positive outcomes for employers in their plan sponsor and fiduciary capacities.
- Health Services Litigation: Groom’s litigation attorneys leverage the firm’s specialized focus on health care services to provide unparalleled litigation defense services to clients.
- Retirement Services Litigation: Groom litigators have a proven track record of representing retirement service providers in complicated, “bet the company” litigation.
Policy: Groom’s policy professionals are able to achieve positive outcomes for clients by leveraging substantive expertise and extensive relationships in Washington, DC.
- Employer Advocacy: Groom brings its specialized expertise, practical advice, and focused counsel to employers of all sizes and industries.
- Health Services Advocacy: We work extensively on behalf of our clients to help shape healthcare policy at the state and federal level.
- Retirement Services Advocacy: Drawing on our substantive experience and leveraging our inside-the-Beltway connections, Groom advances retirement policy for employers and service providers.
|Executive compensation||Jeff Kroh|
|Fiduciary responsibility||Jennifer Eller|
|Fiduciary responsibility||Stephen Saxon|
|Governmental plans||Ian Lanoff|
|Governmental plans||David Powell|
|Health and welfare||Jon Breyfogle|
|Health and welfare||Seth Perretta|
|Multi-employer/Taft-Hartley plans||James Cole|
|Plan design and taxation||Lou Mazawey|
|Plan design and taxation||Mark Lofgren|
|Plan funding and restructuring||Lars Golumbic|
|Plan funding and restructuring||Michael Prame|
|Policy and legislation||Brigen Winters|