Mr Andrew Konia > McGuireWoods LLP > Tysons, United States > Lawyer Profile
McGuireWoods LLP Offices
1750 TYSONS BOULEVARD
- Go to...
Mr Andrew Konia
|Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Transactions and Technology|
Andrew chairs the firm’s Data Privacy and Security team and supply chain management practice. He assists clients in the development of information governance and data protection programs, and regularly counsels clients on privacy and security issues in vendor contracts and M&A/private equity transactions, as well as a variety of other matters, including breach response, data management, and the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). Andrew principally focuses on proactive protective measures that a company can employ in the construction of its policies and critical contracts in order to prevent the occurrence of security breaches, investigations, lawsuits and similar harmful events.
He also counsels companies on a wide variety of corporate and transactional topics, with a particular focus on the negotiation of large-scale complex commercial contracts for Fortune 500 clients. He has particular experience identifying and correcting risks (gaps and deficiencies) present in a company’s “lifeblood” contracts in order to strengthen that company’s competitive position in the marketplace. Further, given the number and severity of data incidents that occur at the vendor level, this gap analysis is particularly useful in the privacy and cybersecurity context as well.
Andrew speaks and writes regularly on topics relating to privacy, security and vendor contract management. He is also one of 13 team members who hold the CIPP/US credential as a Certified Information Privacy Professional from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
United States > Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
The McGuireWoods LLP team has ‘critical legal and technical expertise’. Tysons-based practice head Andrew Konia ‘provides excellent customer service and attention to detail’, advising clients on information governance, data protection programs and data breach response, as well as on privacy and security issues in vendor contracts and M&A and private equity transactions. Senior counsel Nathan Kottkamp, who is based in Richmond, has been assisting KPMG with its HIPAA work. Other key clients come from the telecoms, healthcare and transportation sectors. Charlottesville-based associate Ashley Matthews is ‘a terrific lawyer’. In October 2018, Michael Adams left the practice and joined Palantir Technologies as senior executive in a non-legal position.
- Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection) - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - regulation
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: automotive/transport - defense
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: consumer products (including tobacco) - defense
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort - defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Industry focus > Sport
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Project finance