Ross Fairley > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Environment and renewable energy.
Specialist in renewable, Net Zero and environmental projects. Covers areas such as wind, solar, hydrogen, wave and tidal, low carbon transport, biomass, energy storage and biofuels. On environment, covers all aspects of regulation particularly contaminated land and environmental enforcement.
Trained Allen & Overy, admitted a solicitor 1993; partner 2001. Joined Burges Salmon as partner in 2004. Regularly speaks on environmental and renewable energy matters.
Law Society of England and Wales; Scottish and Northern Irish qualified; Renewable UK, Scottish Renewables; CBI Energy and Climate Change Board, United Kingdom Environmental Law Association.
Educated at Leicester University (1990 LLB).
Keen amateur artist and other leisure interests include sports (particularly hockey and cricket), driving an old Austin Healey ‘Frogeye’ Sprite, renovating a Morris Cowley ‘flatnose’.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Praised for its ‘market-leading experience across the renewables market’, Burges Salmon LLP is highly regarded for its work in the energy and projects sector, often with an international dimension. Nuclear and renewable energy form part of the firm’s core focus alongside transport and defence projects. Ian Salter, a leading practitioner in the nuclear arena, leads the Bristol-based practice which also counts renewables heavyweight Ross Fairley amongst its key contacts. Mark Paterson fields extensive expertise in projects, particularly pertaining to infrastructure, technology, aerospace, defence, and nuclear. Sponsors and governmental departments regularly seek out Keith Beattie for his projects experience, while Julian Boswall frequently handles nationally significant infrastructure projects. Director Alec Whiter‘s practice encompasses matters in the net-zero, energy, and waste sectors.
The environment practice at Burges Salmon LLP advises clients across the whole range of environmental matters within real estate, from contaminated land remediation through environmental risk management, liability issues and carbon law. The firm also counts the water sector and decommissioning of power stations amongst its key areas of expertise. Michael Barlow heads the team with expertise that includes water as well as environmental projects and disputes, and energy efficiency. In May 2021, Guy Bastable joined the practice from BCL Solicitors LLP, bringing to bear extensive experience in environmental disputes and prosecutions. Nuclear expert Ian Salter, renewables specialist Ross Fairley, as well as senior associate Joanne Attwood are further key contacts. Former practice head Simon Tilling left the firm in October 2021.
Burges Salmon LLP has one of the largest environmental teams in the UK. It counts on the expertise of high-profile individuals in the sector including Guy Bastable, who joined the firm from BCL Solicitors LLP in May 2021 and specialises in environmental prosecutions, as well as Ian Salter and Ross Fairley, who focus on net-zero, nuclear new builds and decommissioning. Elsewhere, Ian Truman is another expert in the field of nuclear regulation and international nuclear law, and team head Michael Barlow has broad expertise with a workload that includes handling noise nuisance and coastal erosion claims. It particularly stands out for its expertise in the water sector, with its team representing a number of the UK’s nine water utilities. Other areas of strength include matters relating to power station decommissioning, contaminated land remediation and environmental disputes and prosecutions. Former partner Simon Tilling has recently left the firm.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
Burges Salmon LLP advises large utilities, entrepreneurial developers, government and public bodies among a range of clients in areas such as the regulatory regime, disposals and financings. On the renewables front the team is well-versed in on- and offshore wind projects, solar, biomass, hydrogen and energy from waste matters in addition to acting on nuclear fusion. Low carbon project expert Ross Fairley co-heads the practice with Ian Salter who has expertise in the nuclear field. James Phillips is a regulatory expert and Nick Churchward is experienced in biomass and energy trading arrangements. Ian Truman has nuclear expertise with clients such as developers, regulators and insurers.
- Energy, project finance and PFI - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Environment - South West > Real estate
- Hall of Fame - South West > Real estate > Environment
- Hall of Fame - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport