Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe > Milan, Italy > Firm Profile
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe Offices
CORSO G MATTEOTTI 10
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe > The Legal 500 Rankings
Italy > Compliance Tier 1Providing a one-stop shop for clients' governance, risk management and compliance needs, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe's full spectrum coverage includes corporate governance; Decree 231-related corporate criminal liability; privacy and cybersecurity; global anti-bribery; sanctions law; and health, safety and environment regulations. Alessandro De Nicola has an outstanding track record in corporate governance and related compliance matters, Jean-Paule Castagno leads the firm's Italian investigations and white-collar crimes practice, while Marco Dell’Antonia is particularly focused on the implementation of Decree 231-related compliance programmes. Of counsel Ivan Rotunno has notable data protection and cybersecurity expertise.
‘The great strength, in addition to its competence and professionalism, is the team’s extreme flexibility in satisfying the client’s needs.‘
‘The contribution of the collaborators is very precise and thorough.‘
‘Professionalism, competence and innovation, along with availability, courtesy and promptness in replying.‘
‘The firm is always very attentive to the client’s needs, including in terms of billing and deadlines; and the drive towards technological innovation is much appreciated, with the provision of software packages and platforms that are very useful for the orderly management of documentation for the corporate and compliance life of a company group with many subsidiaries.‘
‘The constant and unfailing availability (even at the most critical moments from a workload point of view) distinguishes the team the most.‘
‘A firm with a great ability to understand market changes.‘
‘Alessandro De Nicola has great multidisciplinary competence and the ability to adapt to the specifics of business.‘
‘Marco Dell’Antonia immediately understood a very complex context, and was also extremely helpful and available to support different and urgent aspects.‘
Aeroporti di Roma
Crédit Agricole Assicurazioni
Credit Suisse International
Credit Suisse International Italian Branch
Credit Suisse Milan Branch
Credit Suisse London Branch
Credit Suisse Securities (Europe)
Eurizon Capital SGR
Fondo Italiano per l’efficienza Energetica SGR
Philip Morris Italia
Rothschild & Co ItalIa
- Advised Atlantia, Garofalo Health Care, Unieuro, Eprice and Neodecortech on compliance and corporate governance matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Orrick impressed me with its in-depth knowledge of the sector and the subject, and it excels in all areas of the industry. Compared to other law firms, Orrick offers effective and innovative solutions and has consolidated its position on the market, especially during the pandemic when it managed to maintain a direct and constant relationship with clients, fully adapting to our needs – this represents, in short, the team’s best quality.‘
‘A team with tremendous experience in the industry, and always accurate and on time with deadlines.‘
‘A solutions-oriented firm with which we work very well, as it combines high levels of specialisation in the sector with a great ability to understand clients’ commercial needs – it works to find solutions.‘
‘Francesca Isgrò – competence and experience, as well as extraordinary availability.‘
MEAG Munich Ergo
Green Arrow Capital
PGGM Infrastructure Fund
Natixis Milan Branch
- Acted for Enel Finance International on the placement on the US and international markets of a multi-tranche sustainability-linked bond, which was (reportedly) the largest sustainability-linked transaction ever executed in the fixed-income capital markets.
- Advising Glennmont Partners on obtaining an unprecedented ruling before the Administrative Tribunal for Lazio to compel the Presidency of the Council of Ministers to comment on whether an energy project could proceed, or if it should be halted due to concerns over cultural impact.
- Assisted clean energy fund manager Glennmont Partners and PGGM Infrastructure Fund with the sale of a large operating onshore wind project platform in Italy to Eni.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great professionalism and availability.‘
‘Perfect organisation of the team with excellent response times and maximum availability.‘
‘Great mediation skills to reach satisfactory meeting points – non-aggressive, but determined approach.‘
‘Great ability to understand negotiation issues, including commercial ones.‘
‘Wide and complete availability of the whole team, even at partner level.‘
‘Excellent quality of services rendered and worth noting is the great managerial skills of Patrizio Messina.‘
‘Patrizio Messina and Annalisa Dentoni-Litta guarantee particular attention to detail.‘
‘Great esteem for Annalisa Dentoni-Litta and her team, including of counsel Sabrina Setini. Thanks to their in-depth knowledge of the law and the technicalities of complex structured finance transactions, they represent a solid presence for the client.‘
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Deutsche Bank (London Branch)
JP Morgan Securities
National Bank of Greece
AMCO – Asset Management Company
- Advised the arrangers on structuring landmark NPE securitisations in Greece (totalling an aggregated value of €14bn), which aimed to decrease the significant non-performing loan exposure of Piraeus Bank, one of Greece’s four systemic banks.
- Acted for Enel Finance International on the placement on the US and international markets of a multi-tranche sustainability-linked bond (aimed at institutional investors) for a total of $4bn.
- Advising Banca Carige and Banca del Monte di Lucca on an innovative STS (simple, transparent, standardised) securitisation transaction (backed by a portfolio of loans).
‘Very professional, competent and highly qualified team.‘
‘Very flexible, professional and highly competent professionals, with a great sense of priority and urgency and strong client sensitivity.‘
‘A team that is always ready and prepared and that assists our company in a timely and flexible manner on many issues and with a broad skillset.‘
F Hoffmann-La Roche
Cerba HC Italia
- Acting for pharmaceutical and biotech giant F Hoffman-La Roche in appeal proceedings arising from one of the most prominent antitrust cases brought in Italy over the last decade and concerning an alleged anti-competitive arrangement between the Roche and Novartis groups.
- Assisting Kedrion, a manufacturer and supplier of plasma-derived therapeutic products, with an ongoing investigation into alleged collusion launched by the Romanian Competition Authority against the company, its main global competitors and their pan-European trade association.
- Advising Bianalisi (an Italian medical laboratory company) on various transactions, including the purchase of ACTF Sanità Amica Srl and Sanità Amica Srl; the acquisition of the entire share capital of Brescia-based San Cristoforo; and the acquisition of Studio di Radiologia Ellisse.
‘High-standing firm in line with the best international and market practices, and the legal team is very well structured and able to offer a 360-degree service. What distinguishes them is the proactivity in reporting news and ideas that may be of interest; and even without a specific mandate, they are always available to offer their point of view.‘
‘Competent, available, and an always reactive and proactive team.‘
‘Business-oriented practice with which we have consolidated relationships over the years – easy to contact them and get answers in real time.‘
‘Strong cohesion between the Italian Orrick team and the Orrick teams from other countries, guaranteeing clients great support for cross-border operations.‘
‘Prompt availability of every single person in the team, regardless of the seniority level – quick responses too!‘
‘Emanuela Molinaro is very competent from a technical point of view, as well as efficient from both negotiating and organisational points of view.‘
‘Emanuela Molinaro is a strong point of reference, especially for complex issues that require sophisticated analysis and solutions. In addition to being extremely competent in every legal aspect, she is proactive in managing the most delicate aspects, as well as proposing alternatives during the due diligence and negotiation phases.‘
‘Managing associate Christian Turotti is a very valid lawyer, who is attentive to detail and able to negotiate in the best possible way.‘
Crédit Agricole Vita
BNP Paribas REIM
Monarch Capital Partners
Meininger Hotels Group
DeA Capital SGR
Apollo Management International
Quinta Capital SGR
- Acted for CLOM on Cromwell Investment Luxembourg’s €55m purchase of the Centro Logistico Intermodale Orlando Marconi office and logistics park (on behalf of the Cromwell Europa 1 real estate alternative investment fund).
- Advised Gabrielli Holding and Danube Hospitality Beteiligungs on the €40m mortgage-backed financing of Hotel Gabrielli, which is located in a 14th Century property in Venice.
- Acted for Quinta Capital SGR (manager of the Madison Imperiale Fund) on the divestment of €69m-worth of telephone exchange properties.
MPS Capital Services Banca per le Imprese
Crédit Agricole Italia
Natixis (Milan Branch)
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
BNL Gruppo BNP Paribas
Ethica Global Investments
- Assisted Lazio Region, Cassa Depositi e Prestiti and Lazio Innova with negotiating and drafting a €375m aggregate agreement, which will guarantee the financing of regional SMEs that are in trouble because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acted for a pool of banks, comprising Banco BPM, BNL, BPER Banca and UBI, on the €65m financing of Aimag, a multi-service utilities group based in Mirandola.
- Advised Banca Popolare di Bari (as originator) on a non-recourse and block sale to AMCO of a portfolio of unlikely-to-pay and non-performing loans.
Alessandro De Nicola
Other key lawyers:
Guido Testa; Attilio Mazzilli; Anna Spanò; Marco Mancino; Paola Barometro
‘The team focuses heavily on innovation and the efficiency of legal services, also through IT tools and the creation of internal databases to provide access to the client. Excellent investment in alerts and training available to the customer.’
‘Excellent availability and flexibility in adapting the modalities of the legal service to the client’s needs, while maintaining high quality standards.’
‘Paola Barometro is an outstanding professional with an approach always oriented towards effective solutions and able to provide accurate and fast support. She has a great ability to understand the needs of the business and translate them into legal assistance, playing the role of a true business partner. Paola is not only endowed with exceptional technical skills but takes care of the client’s needs.’
‘Alessandro Vittoria, and his staff, followed my company with a commitment that went far beyond my expectations, sacrificing weekends and night hours to carry out our requests, guaranteeing a 360-degree presence, always punctual and never distracted or generic.’
‘Very competent, flexible, organized and professional professionals.’
‘Fast and professional responses; moreover, the availability of the team is undoubtedly higher than the average of the other studios we have had contact with over the years.’
‘Guido Testa summarises the spirit of the firm in a single person and understands the needs of business clients. His vision is not traditional but holistic in the true sense of the word.’
Auchan Retail International
Banca Popolare di Bari S.c.p.a
Banca Sella Holding S.p.A.
Cerba Healthcare Italia
Compagnia Energetica Italiana
Ethica Global Investments S.p.A.
HAT Orizzonte SGR S.p.A.
Healthware Group S.r.l.
Società Italiana Traforo del Montebianco
Synergo Capital SGR
- Advised outpatient diagnostics company Cerba HealthCare on the high-value acquisition of the entire share capital of Lifebrain, one of the largest Italian providers in clinical laboratory testing, from Global Healthcare Services Sàrl.
- Assisted Enel X with the merger control and corporate aspects of the creation of a large joint venture with the Volkswagen group that will deploy and then operate the first nationwide network of ultra-fast charging stations for electric vehicles in Italy.
- Advised Banca Sella Holding S.p.A and its portfolio company, Fabrick S.p.A, on the sale of a 50% stake in Hype S.P.A (a company that operates as an e-money institution based in Biella) to illimity Bank S.p.A.; as part of the transaction, Banca Sella also gains a 10% stake in Illimity.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ivan Rotunno guarantees continuous availability, as well as competence and professionalism.’
‘Ivan Rotunno is very competent.’
A.S. Roma S.p.A.
Belmond Italia S.p.A.
BNP Paribas Asset Management France
CNP Unicredit Vita S.p.A.
F2i Fondi Italiani per le Infrastrutture Società di Gestione del Risparmio S.p.A.
Roche Diagnostics S.p.A.
Rothschild & Co. Italia S.p.A.
Société Générale Milan Branch
Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmio di Bolzano
Tirreno Power S.p.A.
Other key lawyers:
‘A dynamic and helpful group.‘
‘In Orrick I found a great willingness to listen and excellent problem-solving skills. In particular, I appreciated their ability to transform legal matters into a language that is more understandable to me.‘
‘The firm’s lawyers are proactive and always available for discussions with clients.‘
‘Excellent preparation and speed, and I greatly appreciated the efforts made to understand the particular sector in which the company operates and the ability to identify the best strategy, which led to the success of the matter entrusted to the firm.‘
‘Pietro Merlino is a lawyer, who in addition to being highly competent, is very brilliant and imaginative. Thanks to this, he is able to identify winning solutions that are not within everyone’s reach.‘
‘Pietro Merlino and managing associate Marianna Meriani are both prepared and available.‘
‘I worked with Pietro Merlino and Marianna Meriani and I appreciated their availability and speed in preparing complex documents. Both are very prepared and proactive.‘
‘Marianna Meriani has an unusual professional maturity for her young age. She is always there for the client and this is highly appreciated.‘
F Hoffmann–La Roche
Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane
Crédit Agricole – Corporate & Investment Banking
Cerba Healthcare Italia
- Acting for pharmaceutical and biotech giant, F Hoffman-La Roche, in appeal proceedings that arose from an antitrust case concerning the alleged anti-competitive arrangement between the Roche and Novartis groups.
- Advising Enel X on the merger control aspects of the creation of a 50/50 joint venture with the Volkswagen group, which will deploy and then operate the first nationwide network of ultra-fast charging stations for electric vehicles in Italy.
- Assisting Cerba Italia with the complex merger control aspects of the €1.2bn acquisition of the Lifebrain Group, a direct competitor.
Commissioners of Banca Popolare di Bari
Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane
H I G Europe Capital Partners II
Antares AZ 1 (Azimut Libera Impresa SGR)
P/S OBTON REIT COMPOUND 1
LB Officine Meccaniche
- In interbank borrowing work, the team assisted the Commissioners of Banca Popolare di Bari under Extraordinary Administration with the €1.6bn recapitalisation and relaunch of the bank.
- Assisted A2A with obtaining an ESG-linked €500m revolving credit facility, which was granted by a pool of banks (in which Intesa Sanpaolo and Société Générale were mandated lead arrangers).
- Assisted TIM with obtaining a €1.7bn financing, which was granted by a pool of banks.
Italy > Dispute resolution Tier 4Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe distinguishes itself through the high level of integration of the dispute resolution group with many other departments of the firm, notably corporate and commercial, energy and finance. In banking and finance in particular, the firm has strong recognition, especially in connection to NPL-related due diligence. Jean-Paule Castagno heads the team from Milan and specialises in white-collar criminal law. Antitrust and public procurement litigation are also areas of strength. Riccardo Troiano left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘Francesca Proietto demonstrates knowledge of the sector and suggests strategies for the benefit of the resolution of disputes. The timeliness of responses compared to other professionals is also excellent’.
‘Orrick Milan, and in particularly the lawyers Proietto, Testa and Colombo, are very available to the needs of clients in order to delineate a strategy, phone calls and emails to fine tune it while perfectly executing it with the maximum competence and professionality. Their best strenghts are the combination of a very deep technical knowledge of the legal matters involved, and extremely well organized firm which leaves no details not taken care of .’
‘Andrea Alfonso Stigliano and Jean-Paule Castagno are a highly competent team of litigators who are approachable, professional in their interactions, and prompt and efficient in their responses. The team has assisted us in a long-standing and demanding matter and, without their dedication and passion for the work, it would have been almost impossible to manage the issues and stakeholders involved.’
‘Andrea and Jean-Paule take the time to have regular meetings with the stakeholders and ensure that their client is on the same page as them, which reduces the back-and-forth and develops the client-firm relationship and trust, necessary for the right decisions to be made. The team has been proactive in suggesting and recommending experts for us to work with, as well as developing and managing those relationships on our behalf. As a non-Italian entity, this level of support has been invaluable. Also, their approach in engaging them has been generally practical and cost-efficient, for which we are very grateful.’
‘Jean-Paule Castagno is a brilliant litigator with a very sharp legal mind. She is able to communicate challenging issues to us in a clear manner, is very strategic in her approach to litigation, and does not get drawn into the politics. The fact that the two are always available to discuss the matter with us has been amazing. With Andrea and Jean-Paule, one is in good hands.’
‘State-of-the-art team on technical and technological issues, with a multidisciplinary and integrated approach. Extremely strong in both accident prevention and management. Without a doubt the best compliance and white collar team on the Italian market.’
‘Jean-Paule Castagno is young but with enormous experience in different economic sectors and has a very modern and technical approach to the various issues. Together with Andrea Stigliano, they form a complete and integrated team with the other disciplines of the studio.’
Hitachi Rail STS Spa
Tuscania Retail S.r.l.
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles S.A
BYD Europe BV
CAF Italia S.r.l.
Save the Children International
- Acting as counsel of records to Save the Children, in pending criminal proceedings in relation to a presumed relationship between NGOs and smugglers.
- Advising Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles S.A in challenging the award of a tender for the supply of train line extraordinary maintenance to another company.
Italy > Private equity Tier 4Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe is particularly knowledgeable in the technology sector, a key industry of focus for the firm globally. The practice demonstrates strength in buyout, merger, investment and venture capital transactions, predominantly within the mid-market space. Guido Testa heads the team which acts for a mixture of investors and target companies. Marco Nicolini left the firm in late 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Attilio Mazzilli; Alessandro Vittoria; Andrea Piermartini Rosi
‘Highly experienced and always available lawyers.’
‘Guido Testa is an extremely experienced lawyer, very constructive in negotiation and always available.’
‘Availability of the team.’
‘Diplomacy of the partner we worked with (Guido Testa).’
Together Price Ltd
Ethica Global Investments S.p.A
CDP Venture Capital SGR
Synergo Capital SGR + Sinergia Venture Fund
Lightrock (ex Lgt Lightstone)
Aster Capital Partners
Caslini family (Bianalisi)
- Advised the Caslini family, as majority shareholder, on the agreement with the Columna Capital fund, as minority shareholder, for the sale of a majority stake in Bianalisi S.p.A.
- Advising leading tech investment and advisory firm GP Bullhound on its investment in Vivino via a $155m Series D round led by Kinnevik.
- Advising Everli, an Italian online grocery delivery platform, on its $100m Series C financing led by Verlinvest S.A., a Brussels-based private investment group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Technical skills and in-depth knowledge of the subject. Continuous updating on legislative changes. Flexibility in adapting solutions to the needs of individual projects. Availability and dedication.’
‘Daniela Andreatta is very prepared, always ready to look for solutions and take charge of the client’s requests.’
‘Daniela Andreatta and her team are characterized by the great professionalism and competence they bring to every deal (always looking for the best solutions). Transversal skills and the ability to analyse problems from different points of view are particularly appreciated.’
‘Daniela Andreatta: very approachable, committed, service oriented. Especially for cross-border transactions, highly recommended given the fluency in German, Italian and English.’
‘Daniela Andreatta’s team has the strength of a large international firm and the speed of response and flexibility of a boutique.’
‘Daniela Andreatta’s approach is solution driven and not professorial, abstract, theoretical. She has a practical sense that allows her to face and overcome any problem’.
‘High level of communication, strong spirit of collaboration, great attention to providing the customer with a service tailored to specific needs, extreme flexibility in defining the lines of assignment.’
‘Federico Perego is an extremely competent and skilled negotiator, capable of putting order in complicated tables and making up for inactivity and dilatory behaviour’.
Apollo Global Management
Värde Partners Inc.
Crestline Europe LLP
Manitex International, Inc.
One33 Investment House S.r.l.
Peter Schoenfeld Asset Management
Restar Real Estate S.r.l.
Prelios Credit Servicing s.p.a.
Dubag Group GmbH
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Yanez SPV acting through Aurora Recovery Capital S.p.a.
Sugherificio Ganau S.p.a.
Tirreno Power s.p.a.
- Assisted Tirreno Power s.p.a.in planning its exit from the €1.2billion debt restructuring agreement signed in 2015 with the banks, advising the management on making the relevant strategic decisions.
- Acted for Axopower S.p.A. in the structuring and negotiation with the lenders of an approximately €40 million in-court restructuring agreement (concordato preventivo).
- Assisting Andriani in taking over Nove Alpi, a distressed pasta manufacturer undergoing in-court administration (concordato preventivo).
‘Very professional and prepared lawyers, attention to timing and customer care.’
‘A dedicated and competent team.’
Acciona Agua s. A.
Agt International s.p.a.
Byd Europe b.v.
Construcciones y auxiliar de ferrocarriles s.a. (caf)
Dompè farmaceutici s.p.a.
Engie servizi s.p.a.
Go Imperia s.r.l.
Hitachi Rail s.p.a.
Sonnedix Italia s.r.l.
- Successfully assisted Hitachi Rail S.p.a. with its successful participation in the public tender procedure issued by Gruppo Torinese Trasporti S.p.A., concerning the award of the supply of single-directional low-floor tramway engines to be used for passenger services on Turin’s tram network.
- Represented Glennmont Partners in obtaining an unprecedented ruling before the Administrative Tribunal for Lazio to force the Presidency of the Council of Ministers to comment on whether an energy project could proceed or if it should be halted due to concerns over landscape impact.
- Obtained an important victory for Hitachi Rail S.p.a. by defeating the lawsuit brought by its French competitor Alstom Ferroviaria Spa before the Lazio Regional Administrative Court (TAR) requesting the annulment of the award to Hitachi of the tender called by Trenitalia Spa for the supply of 135 diesel-electric trains for the regional rail service.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe > Firm Profile
Orrick Italy is one of the leading international firms active in the Italian market.
With +120 professionals, some of which are dual qualified in UK and US, our Italian team work side by side with clients in achieving their business goals. Based in Milan and Rome, our lawyers provide a fully cross-practice and cross-border assistance in several practice areas, also leveraging on the Orrick network, to support clients’ needs.
The firm: Founded in San Francisco 150 years ago, Orrick is a leading global law firm with a particular focus on serving companies in the technology, energy, infrastructure and financial sectors. The firm is recognised worldwide for delivering the highest quality, commercially oriented legal advice.
Corporate, M&A and private equity: Orrick’s corporate team advises leading Italian and multinational companies on domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestments, mergers and de-mergers. Our professionals also provide domestic and global funds with legal assistance in relation to investment and divestment transactions concerning Italian companies. Furthermore, we assist these companies as investment and divestment targets.
Our professionals offer a distinctive combination of local insight, as well as global reach across Europe, Asia and the U.S., in developing innovative techniques to successfully structure complex domestic and cross-border transactions.
In 2019, Orrick Italy has been recognized by Mergermarket as the 2° most active international law firm in Italy, ranking in the top 10 in ltaly by M&A deal count . Moreover, in 2019 Orrick Italy is recognized by Refinitiv as the most active international law firm in Italy, ranking 3 for Mid-Market M&A deal number.
Orrick’s Italian lawyers regularly advise leading Italian and international companies in the development of their business in Italy. Specifically, we provide assistance on governance structures, shareholders’ agreements, corporate contracts and day-by-day assistance.
Corporate governance, compliance programs and privacy: Our Italian team truly embodies the innovation mindset that is a key value to Orrick globally. We have developed cutting-edge technology-based services in order to provide our clients with assistance on all their governance, risk management and compliance needs. With a truly integrated approach, we helped +130 companies and financial institutions. on the design, implementation and maintenance of compliance programs to prevent corporate crimes (Legislative Decree 231). Furthermore, our lawyers have developed effective legal solutions to help dozens of clients address privacy and data protection compliance requirements according to the GDPR.
In a constantly evolving ecosystem, our team has gained specific expertise on data privacy, supporting clients in handling cyber incidents across industry sectors, and conducting analysis on compliance of apps managing personal data. We developed an in-house first-of-its-kind AI-powered tool supporting DPOs in the planning and implementation of their duties. Our lawyers routinely act as Data Protection Officer or supports DPOs in the effective application of laws protecting individuals’ personal data.
Orrick Italy has an extensive experience developing and enhancing global anti-bribery policies, conducting risk assessments and developing controls to detect and prevent corruption. Our team has been engaged by Italian companies running their business throughout the world to develop compliance programs also addressing FCPA and UK Bribery-related risks. Our team members serve as Chairpersons or members of around 70 internal supervisory body.
Banking and finance: With +40 lawyers, Orrick has a prolific finance department, focused on highly sophisticated transactions in the banking and finance industry. We assist major banks, funds and large corporate in securitisation, covered bonds and NPEs, debt capital markets, acquisition finance, project finance and PPP.
Our professionals pioneered the financial legal business in Italy and are experienced on the most innovative and ground-breaking transactions.
We are recognized in the market for our expertise and client-focused approach and regularly act on the biggest and most high-profile deals. We also provide our clients with bespoke advisory assistance on a wide range of products and areas in the banking and finance industry.
The team includes English and US qualified lawyers who are based in Italy, speak fluent Italian and are able to advise our Italian clients on international products as well as help steer our international clients through the Italian market. We also offer in-house expertise in regulatory and taxation aspects allowing us to address our clients’ needs on a 360° basis.
Energy and infrastructure: Energy is a core sector focus of Orrick globally and this is reflected in the depth of our practice in Italy. Our team is at the forefront of the Italian energy and renewables market. We represent sponsors, investors and energy operators, as well as large banks that are routinely active in energy sector financings.
Our lawyers provide clients with assistance in the following areas:
- M&A and JV agreements within the renewable energy market (with a specific expertise on solar and wind), including through growing private equity investment.
- Financing/refinancing of existing renewable energy portfolios (bonds or long-term loans)
- Project development: we are heavily involved in the development of unsubsidised projects, assisting clients on all aspects (including with respect to regulatory and project contracts)
- Green bonds
We are routinely involved to design and implement market-first transactions. In 2019, we acted on the first-of-its-kind securitization of performing and non-performing energy credits, on the first ever financing of a photovoltaic plant not supported by state subsidies in Italy and on the first public lighting greenfield project bond in Italy.
Technology and innovation: As one of the most active global law firms serving technology leaders, Orrick offers a comprehensive platform for the tech community – from the most innovative disruptors to multinational leaders.
Our Italian tech team advises on the most innovative transactions in the market and helps Italian and foreign companies at all stages of growth. Our lawyers represent many successful tech entrepreneurs, start-ups with new technology platforms, VC funds investing into tech companies, and major banks, telecoms, infrastructure and insurance companies with tech needs. We provide cross-jurisdictional assistance on early and late-stage financings, flips and mergers and acquisitions, and we advise venture capital firms in their investments and exits.
Our tech lawyers are recognized for their business acumen, and the deep knowledge of innovative financial products and business strategies
We advise FinTech operators on structuring and implementing new technologies for contracts and remote operations for the subscription of financial services, peer-to-peer payment platforms, instant-payment related services, robo-advisory services, lending and crowdfunding platforms for individuals and SMEs, wealth and asset management services, information services on customer accounts.
LanguagesItalian English (fluent) French
Italy: Corporate Governance
Published: February 2022
Authors: Alessandro De Nicola Marco Dell’Antonia Federico Urbani
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Corporate Governance laws and regulations that may occur in Italy.
Published: September 2022
Authors: Christian Schröder Tobias Lantwin
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to TMT laws and regulations that may occur in Germany.
United Kingdom: Data Protection & Cyber Security Law
Published: May 2022
Authors: Heather Sussman Shannon Yavorsky Kelly Hagedorn Alex Sobolev
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Data Protection & Cyber Security Law laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.
United States: Data Protection & Cyber Security Law
Published: May 2022
Authors: Heather Sussman Sulina Gabale Thora Johnson Tori Downey Kathryn Boyle Oladoyin Olanrewaju
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Data Protection & Cyber Security Law laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Italy: Bribery & Corruption
Published: May 2022
Authors: Alessandro De Nicola Marco Dell’Antonia Riccardo Caselle
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Bribery & Corruption laws and regulations that may occur in Italy.
- Capital markets: Debt
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences
- Real estate and construction
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection
- EU and competition law