Alessandro De Nicola > Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe > Milan, Italy > Lawyer Profile
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe Offices
CORSO G MATTEOTTI 10
- Go to...
Alessandro De Nicola
Compliance - Commercial, Corporate and M&A
Alessandro De Nicola is member of Orrick’s Global Board of Directors, Senior Partner of the Italian offices in Milan and Rome, and has acted as European Corporate Group Leader.
Alessandro has extensive experience in commercial and corporate law, M&A, competition law and corporate governance. He has worked on complex domestic and cross-border corporate transactions including acquisitions and corporate restructurings for some of the most important players in the market. He leads extensive corporate governance projects with a particular focus on Legislative Decree 231.
Alessandro has pleaded in front of the Italian Antitrust Authority (AGCOM), Consob (the public authority responsible for regulating the Italian securities market), ECB (European Central Bank), Bank of Italy and civil and administrative courts.
Prior to joining Orrick, Alessandro was the national director of the Italian legal department of Studio Legale Tributario Ernst & Young. He earned his degree at Catholic University in Milan in 1985 and at Cambridge University he earned an LL.M. in 1989 and a Ph.D. in Corporate Law and Economics in 2007.
Since 2000 Alessandro has been teaching as adjunct professor in advanced corporate law and since 2011 in comparative business and European law at Bocconi University in Milan. He also served as scientific coordinator of the Master in Business Law organized by Il Sole 24 Ore Business School.
Alessandro has been a regular columnist for Il Sole 24 Ore from 2000 to 2011. Since 2011, he has been a columnist for L’Espresso, the weekly newsmagazine with the largest circulation in Italy, and for the daily newspaper La Repubblica. Since 2017, he regularly authors articles also for the Italian newspapers La Stampa and Il Foglio.
He has served and is currently member of the Board of Directors as well as chairman or member of a number of Vigilance Bodies of several Italian and international companies and financial institutions.
Italian, English, French
- Milan Bar Association
- Auditor, registered in the Register of Certified Auditors
- Chairman, The Adam Smith Society
- Chairman, Oxford and Cambridge Alumni Society of Northern Italy
- Member, Scientific Committee of the Italian Banking, Insurance and Finance Federation (FeBAF)
- Member of the International Scientific Committee – Department of Economics – of the Luigi Einaudi Foundation
- Former member, Scientific Committee of ANIA (Associazione Nazionale tra le Imprese Assicuratrici/ National Association of Insurance Companies)
- Former member, Scientific Committee of ABI-ANIA
- Former member, Working Group for the dissemination of biotechnologies established at the Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore di Milano, J.D., 1985
- Cambridge University, LL.M., 1989
- Cambridge University, Ph.D., 2007
- Cambridge University, Executive Master in Business Administration – MBA, 2018
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Providing a one-stop shop for clients’ governance, risk management and compliance needs, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe‘s full spectrum coverage includes corporate governance; Decree 231-related corporate criminal liability; privacy and cybersecurity; global anti-bribery; sanctions law; and health, safety and environment regulations. Alessandro De Nicola has an outstanding track record in corporate governance and related compliance matters, Jean-Paule Castagno leads the firm’s Italian investigations and white-collar crimes practice, while Marco Dell’Antonia is particularly focused on the implementation of Decree 231-related compliance programmes. Of counsel Ivan Rotunno has notable data protection and cybersecurity expertise.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe‘s privacy and data protection team sits within the firm’s broader corporate department which is led by Alessandro De Nicola. This has led to an offering specialised in the needs of corporate clients, in particular in relation to cybersecurity and AI development and management matters in the financial services and life sciences sectors. Special counsel Ivan Rotunno handles GDPR compliance, data transfer and other day-to-day advice in the area.
|Italy: Bribery & Corruption||May 2022||This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Bribery & Corruption laws and regulations that may occur in Italy.|
|Italy: Corporate Governance||February 2022||This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Corporate Governance laws and regulations that may occur in Italy.|
- Compliance - Italy
- Leading individuals - Italy > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection - Italy
- Hall of Fame - Italy > Compliance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: Debt
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences
- Real estate and construction
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection
- EU and competition law
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Dispute resolution
- Private equity
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Administrative and public law