Tom Thomas > Harper Macleod LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
45 GORDON STREET
- Go to...
Tom specialises in intellectual property and technology related matters (including outsourcing) as well as mainstream corporate acquisitions, sales, structures, drafting and negotiating commercial arrangements, and agreements. Tom also has extensive experience within the renewable energy and sport sectors.
Tom is senior partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property & Technology practice and is listed in the International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers. He was previously a member of the panel of independent experts appointed by Nominet UK, the UK level domain name authority, to adjudicate on domain name disputes.
His experience includes:
- Acting for the Scottish Professional Football League (formerly the Scottish Premier League) in relation to its broadcast and sponsorship agreements since 1998 including recent agreements with Sky, BT Sport, the BBC, YouTube, BBC ALBA and overseas rights distributor MP & Silva. Advising Glasgow 2014 Ltd in relation to the host broadcast agreement for coverage of the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow; advising sportscotland and various sports governing bodies in relation to corporate and commercial matters.
- Advising the Forestry and Land Scotland in relation to various wind and hydro renewable energy initiatives and their implementation.
- Advising the Highlands and Islands Enterprise in relation to its £146million next generation broadband agreement with BT.
- Advising various agencies and directorates of the Scottish Government in relation to commercial contracts and corporate matters
- Advising a Scottish public body in relation to an outsourcing and shared IT services venture with several other Scottish public bodies.
- Advising various community organisations in relation to renewable energy projects.
- Advising Webhelp in relation to various outsourcing agreements to the mobile telecommunications and financial services sectors in the UK.
Tom is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in Intellectual Property Law.
Led by the Edinburgh-based seasoned music industry specialist Jamie Watt, Harper Macleod LLP is regularly engaged by numerous blue-chip media organisations, governing bodies, and public figures for assistance in the full gamut of media sector matters. Tom Thomas‘ commercial capabilities see him advising on film and television production and location agreements, and sports broadcasting rights arrangements. E-Ming Fong and David Kerr anchor the team’s contentious offering, respectively focusing on sports betting and broadcasting disputes, while James McMorrow works with public sector clients on film production funding and location matters. All named lawyers are based in Glasgow unless stated otherwise.
Fielding one of the largest sports practices in the Scottish market, Harper Macleod LLP continues to enjoy a stellar reputation among all manner of governing bodies, clubs, and athletes for its far-reaching contentious and non-contentious capabilities. Department chair Bruce Caldow is a prolific advisor to some of the leading organisations in the sector, advising on both commercial matters and disputes, including tribunals governed by the SPFL. Senior partner Lorne Crerar is highly regarded for his expertise in disciplinary proceedings, most notably on issues arising in rugby. Tom Thomas concentrates on broadcasting, sponsorship, and IP rights issues for major cycling championships and football leagues, while Carolyn Morgan has most recently been engaged on extensive conduct reviews in gymnastics. David Kerr advises on football disputes before the SFA panel, while Kelly Fraser is a key port of call for the firm’s swimming clientele. Andrew Maxwell is also recommended. All named lawyers are based in Glasgow.
Harper Macleod LLP‘s wide-ranging IP practice works with a strong mix of domestic and foreign clients on trademarks, patents, and infringement-related proceedings, including matters before the Court of Session and the UK Intellectual Property Office. In recent months, the team has been especially active on music and publishing disputes, as well as broadcasting rights issues for major international sports groups. Jamie Watt chairs the IP department, in addition to the firm’s life sciences and entertainment practices. Glasgow-based Tom Thomas concentrates on technology sector contract procurement, cyber security, and sports IP, most notably in relation to broadcasting rights. Also in Glasgow, commercial litigator E-Ming Fong is a seasoned advocate before the Court of Session, whose recent engagements include high-value trademark infringement proceedings on behalf of a major international retailer. All named lawyers are based in Edinburgh unless stated otherwise.
Harper Macleod LLP‘s technology practice handles a broad cross-section of work, ranging from public sector and third sector-procured IT contracts and outsourcing agreements, to broadcasting rights and licensing negotiations. Glasgow-based department head Tom Thomas is a regular port of call for a number of civic authorities, software developers, and sports governing bodies, who turn to him for assistance regarding high-value commercial contract matters. IP specialist Scott Kerr handles outsourcing and regulatory issues for a diverse array of clients from the worlds of consumer goods, life sciences, and energy, while Jamie Watt is noted for his capabilities in tech-sector patent disputes. Inverness-based Jill Fryer focuses on public procurement and IT-sector competition work. Glasgow-based E-Ming Fong is recommended for tech disputes, including contentious database rights and passing off proceedings. All named lawyers are based in Edinburgh unless stated otherwise.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Sport - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Intellectual property - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Media and entertainment - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning